Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 58 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 58 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


()n the 25th day of May, 1889. came to Sioux Falls, where he has
since resided, and is one of the firm of Jewett Bros. & Jewett. He
was never a candidate for a political office, and has refused to permit
his name to be used in that connection, but he is an enthusiastic Re-
publican and endeavors to neutralize as far as he can the labor of his
brother, C. A. Jewett, in the interest of the opposite parties. He
is a thoroug-h business man and an enterprising, esteemed citizen.

Johnson, Nels S., better known as N. S. Johnson, was born
near the city of Risoer in Norway, August 5, 1833. In early life he
was a sailor, and came to New York for the first time when he was
twenty years of age. During- the eig-hteen years he was a sailor he
filled about all the positions there were, from cabin-boy to captain.
He has sailed pretty nearly everywhere, and there are few European
ports he has not visited. At one time he was a gold-dig-ger in Aus-
tralia. He came to the United States the second time in 1865, and
during the next few years was at work upon the rivers and lakes in
this country. In 1868 he took up some land in Iowa, but left there
for Dakota in the fall of 1872, when he secured land in Lincoln
countv, which he afterwards disposed of and came to Sioux Falls
and opened a paint shop, and when that did not pay him enough, he
went to work in a lumber yard. He was industrious and economical,
and whenever he could save a dollar he put it into real estate, and is
today "well fixed " as the saying goes. He is a man of positive con-
victions, and always ready to stand by them. He has written sev-
eral books in the Norwegian language, which have been published in
this country. They are' upon religious subjects, and his views, as



580 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



set forth in his publications, are of the liberal order. He is a thor-
oughly honest man and a g-ood citizen, and although he never held
any political office, still, he is quite a factor in Minnehaha county
politics.

Johnson, Orris, was born in Dane county, Wisconsin, August
10, 1853. He received a common school education, and worked on a
farm until the spring of 1880, when he removed to Lincoln county,
Dakota, and took up a farm. He remained there engaged in farming
until 1893, when he removed to Sioux Palls and opened up a livery,
feed and sale stable, in which business he still continues. He also
has a farm in the township of Hartford, this county, but resides in
Sioux Falls. While in Lincoln county, he held township offices. He
is a good citizen, and liked by all who know him.

Johnson, Watson W., is a native of Williams county, Ohio, and
was born October 5, 184(). When fiv^e years of age he removed with
his parents to Dane county, Wisconsin, where he attended the pub-
lic schools and worked on a farm until a few months before the close
of the civil war, when he enlisted in Co. I, 22d Wis. Inf. After the
close of the war he returned to his home and engaged in farming
until 1873, when he removed to Dakota, and arrived at Sioux Palls on
the 5th day of Pebruary of that year. The first two years he worked
for Skinner & Austin in the machinery business, and then farmed
the northeast quarter of section eig-ht in Split Rock for seven years.
In 1882 he again moved into Sioux Palls, and has since resided there.
For several years he engaged in the feed business, but for the last
few years the hack business has received his undivided attention.
He is a good neighbor and a good citizen.

Jones, Edward H., is a native of Wisconsin, and was born in
December, 1852. He received a high school education. In 1873, he
came to Minnehaha county, and took up the northwest quarter of sec-
tion twenty-four in Benton township as a pre-emption. Besides at-
tending to his claim he worked as collector for C. J. Skinner, who at
that time kept an agricultural warehouse in Sioux Palls. He also
engaged in breakingand freighting, hauling- lumber from Sibley, Iowa,
and other places, before the railroad reached this section of the
country, and slept about five nights of the week on the ground under
his lumber wagon. He lived with R. W. Talcott, kept a cow, and
received compliments of the housewives in the village for his skill in
buttermaking. A few years later he took up as a homestead the
southwest quarter of section twenty-six in Grand Meadow township,
where he resided with his family for about ten years. He was the
first assessor of Grand Meadow, and was a member of the town
board for several years. He sold his farm to Mr. Hirsch, the pres-
ent owner, and bought a relinquishment comprising a tree claim in
the northwest quarter of section four in Hartford township, where
he resided until the fall of 1893, when he rented his farm and re-
moved to Sioux Palls and for three years was engaged as clerk in the
grocery dei)artment of the Bee Hive. Mr. Jones is a good citizen,
and has a larg-e circle of acquaintances.




N. S. Johnson.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 5S3



Jones. Joseph W., who has resided in the city of Sioux Falls
since April, 1883, is a native of Indiana and was born December 10,
1845. His early life was spent on a farm and in attendih"' the com-
mon schools. Afterwards he attended De Paunt University at Green
Castle, Indiana, where he was crraduated in 1870. Immediatelv there-
after he went to Danville, Illinois, and was admitted to the bar in
October, 1870, and commenced the practice of law at that place; was
elected state's attorney of Vermillion county, Illinois, and at the ex-
piration of his term of office was re-elected and held the office four
years. In April, 1883, immediately after his arrival in Sioux Falls he
opened a law office and practiced law until he assumed the duties of
circuit judo-e of the second judicial circuit of South Dakota, on the
2d day of January, 1894, to which office he had been elected in No-
vember, 18')3. He was re-elected in November, 1897. He has the
reputation of being- a very careful, painstaking- lawyer, and has been
employed in some of the most important cases tried in Minnehaha
county. As a judg-e he is industrious, and disposes of matters that
come before him as soon as he has time to properh' consider the
questions involved, which meets with the hearty approbation of the bar.
It is not too much to say that he bring-s to his work a thoroug-h
knowledg-e of the principles upon which all law is founded, and en-
deavors to the best of his ability to perform the duties of his high
office without fear or favor to any one. Judg-e Jones is not only a
g-ood lawyer and judg-e, but a g-ood neig-hbor, a g-enial companion and
an uprig-ht citizen.

Jordan, Charles E., was born at Cantebury, England, Janu-
ary 2, 1856, and when two months old came with his parents to this
country, and located in Carlinville, 111., where he attended district
schools until sixteen years old; then served an apprenticeship at the
carpenter's trade three years; came to Sioux Falls on the 15th day
of May, 1878, and for six years worked for T. C. Marson, and on the
Queen Bee mill; in 1883, entered into copartnership with his brother,
E. F. Jordan, under the firm name of Jordan Bros., and since then
thev have been eng-ag-ed as contractors and builders, and are doing-
an extensive business. Mr. Jordan is an esteemed citizen.

Jordan, E. F., brother of Charles E., was born at Carlin\ille,
Illinois, in 1859. He served an apprenticeship at the carpenter's
trade, and came to Sioux Falls in 1883, and is one of the firm of
Jordan Bros. He is a g-ood citizen.

Rev. W. H. Jordan, D. D., was born October 16, 1857, in
Cherry Valley, a suburb of Worcester, Mass. His father was a
Methodist minister. In 1869 moved with his parents to northern
Illinois; in 1874 entered the preparatory department of the North-
western university, and in 1876, the university proper, where he re-
mained until his senior year. During- this year he accepted the
position of instructor of Simpson colleg-e, Indianola, Iowa, where he
completed his course and was g-raduated in 1882. Upon his gradua-
tion was elected to the chair of Natural History in his Alma Mater,
which position he held until 1885, when he entered the ministry. He
received the M. A. deg-ree from the Northwestern university. He



584 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



joined the Des Moines conference and entered upon the work as a
missionary in Dakota. His first pastoral appointment was at Mil-
bank, where he remained four years, and advanced his charg-e from
a low o-rade to one of the first in the conference. On the 17th day of
October, 1889, was appointed presiding- elder by Bishop Vincent, and
assig-ned to the charg-e of the Sioux Falls district, which position he
held until October, 1895. During- this time he not only succeeded in
advancing- his district from the smallest to the first in the confer-
ence, but made it the leading- district in the two Dakotas in the mat-
ter of pastoral support In October, 1895, became the pastor of the
First M. E. church in Sioux Falls, and still retains this charg-e. In
1896 he headed the Dakota deleg-ation to the g-eneral conference of
the M. E. church, which is one of the larg-est leg-islative bodies in
the world, and was made a member by that body of the National
Board of Control of the Ep worth Leag-ue. During- the same year the
deg-ree of D. D., was conferred upon him by Cornell colleg-e, Iowa.
He was for three years a member of the State Board of Reg-ents of
South Dakota. He represents the ninth g-eneral conference district,
which includes Wisconsin, Minnesota, the two Dakotas, Sweden and
Norway, and Burmah, and is the Fourth upon the Advisory Literary
committee, composed of ten members.

Although Mr. Jordan is an ideal pastor and an eloquent
preacher, it is not alone in this field that he has attained distinction.
As a lecturer upon topics requiring- scholarly attainments, keen dis-
cernment, wit, log-ic, and a hig-h order of oratorical abilitv, he stands
in the front rank of platform lecturers. His great influence is also
felt upon all matters affecting- the welfare of the community in which
he lives, in his earnest, courag-eous and fearless efforts to elevate the
moral standing- of the public. Thus far Mr. Jordan has refused flat-
tering- invitations to hig-h positions of honor in the scholastic field,
and it is to be hoped that he will remain a citizen of South Dakota,
where he has by his g-reat natural ability, aided by his industry and
devoted work, built up for himself an enviable reputation, and se-
cured the friendship and love of all g-ood citizens.

Judge, Harold E., was born at Floyd, Floyd county, Iowa,
February 7, 1873; attended the public schools, and completed his
academic education in the Colleg-iate institute at Fort Dodg-e, Iowa;
studied law, and w^as g-raduated from the law department of the State
University of Iowa; came to Sioux Falls, July 24, 1894, and entered
the law office of Bailey & Voorhees; July 15, 1895, became a partner
of the firm of Aikens, Bailey, Voorhees & Judg-e; October 22, 1897,
retired from the firm, and formed a copartnership for the practice
of law with Judg-e Aikens, under the firm name of Aikens & Judg-e.
Mr. Judg-e stands well with the leg-al profession, is a close student,
and will make a g-ood lawyer.

Kaufmann, Moses, has been too busy whenever interviewed in
regard to his biog-raphy to gfive any information, but notwithstanding-
his early life is a sealed book to the writer, enoug-h is known of his
recent history to make a short sketch possible.

He has lived in Sioux Falls since the early eighties, and is a well-




Rev. W. H. Jordan, D. D.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 587



known citizen. When the Sioux Falls brewery passed from the con-
trol of its orio-inal owners he purchased a larg-e block of its stock,
and since then, in connection with JMoriz Leviny-er, has had the nian-
ag-ement of its aifairs. He travels about the state, and is acquainted
with the people, especially- with all those who have been members of
the leo-islature or are likely to become such in the future. He at-
tends the sessions of the leg-islature, arrives there early, secures
rooms at the principal hotel, and then quietly, but in a systematic
way, g-oes about his work of preventing- leg-islation hostile to his busi-
ness. In this he has been remarkably successful, and at no time
more so than during- the session in 1899. He is always quiet, cool
and self-possessed, but he is "sawing- wood" as the saying- gfoes, all
the time, nig-ht and day. At his rooms, in the corridors of the hotel,
in the committee rooms, and sometimes in the leg-islative halls he is
untiringdy pushing his scheme to the front. What seem to be insur-
mountable obstacles at twilig-ht are frequently overcome before the
dawn of the following- day. As a lobbyist he is the smoothest man
in the state. He is an enterprising- citizen, and responds liberallv
to all calls for help in public affairs; is a g-ood business man, social
and companionable, and has a host of friends who delig-ht in helping-
him to accomplish whatever he may desire.

Keith, Hosmer H., was born in New York, July 12. 184(>. His
father was a farmer of Scotch ancestry. Mr. Keith receiv^ed a thor-
oug'h academic education, and has not only worked on a farm, but
has, like most of the energ-etic young- men of his time, taught school.
He studied law for a time and then entered the law school at Albany,
N. Y., graduating- in 1870. He was admitted to the bar at a general
term of the supreme court of New York, in June, 1870, and has
since then, first in New York and then South Dakota, been in the
active practice of his profession. He came to Sioux Falls in the
spring of 1883. At the election of officers for the proposed State of
South Dakota under the Sioux Falls constitution, he was elected
judge of the circuit court of the second district. At the election in
the fall of 1888, he was elected a member of the territorial legisla-
ture, from the counties of Hanson, McCook and Minnehaha, receiv-
ing a majority of 498 over his competitor J. T. (Tilbert, who had been
elected the term previous by a majority of 105. He was elected
speaker of the house of representatives, and had the honor of presid-
ing over that body during its last territorial session. He is at the
present time a trustee of Colgate University, N. Y., and for several
years was president of the board of trustees of the Sioux Falls Uni-
versity. For three years, after coming to Sioux Falls, he was in
practice by himself, but during the year 1886 he was associated with
S. E. Young, under the firm name of Keith & Young. In January,
1889, he formed a copartnership with C. P. Bates, under the firm
name of Keith & Bates, which continued until January, 1893, when it
was dissolved. As speaker of the house of representatives the
writer can say from personal knowledge that he filled the position
with marked ability. But as a lawyer Mr. Keith is best known.
Where he is employed in a case, his opponents know that there is to
be a contest from the beginning to the end. He is a sagacious trier



588



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



of cases, a o-ood advocate, and when summoned to a court of last re-
sort, he is well equipped, and able to make the very best presenta-
tion of his case. He has a larg-e and lucrative practice, and is em-
])loved in a g*ood many important cases, not only at home but
throug-hout the state. As a citizen he is independent and enterpris-
ing-, and takes an active part in all public matters.

Keller, Dr. Alvin H., was born in Rimersburg-, Clarion coun-
ty, Penn., April 4, 1853; attended the common schools and the Clar-
ion Colleg-iate Institute; when sixteen years of ag^e commenced work
in a drug- store in Philadelphia; g-raduated from the Philadelphia
Colleg-e of Pharmacy and then had charg-e of a drug- business at a

salary of $1800 and commission on the
sales until 1879, when he removed to Has-
ting-s, Neb., and eng-ag-ed in the drug-
business for himself; completed a course
in medicine and g-raduated from the Oma-
ha Medical Colleg-e in 1883, and then took
up the practice as a physician in connec-
tion with the drug- business at Hasting-s.
Later took a post g-raduate course in
Chicag-o; came to this county and located
in the city of Sioux Falls in 1890 and open-
ed a drug- store in connection with A. P.
Abbott, and practiced hi's profession; in
1892 he disposed of the drug- business
and has made the treatment of diseases of
the nose, throat and lung-s a specialty; in
1898 took a special course at the Poly-
clinic colleg-e hospital in Chicag-o, organ-
ized the Dr. A. H. Keller Chemical Co. in Sioux Palls in 1897 and
manufactures the Sylvan Ozone and other remedies, and confines his
practice to special work. He is a man of g-reat industry and his
whole time is devoted to his professional work, at the present time
in connection with his brother. Dr. W. P. Keller, and thev have a
larg-e and g-rovving- practice.

Kendall, Prank A., was born in Powlerville, Living-stone
county, N. Y., Aug-ust 31, 1848; moved with his parents to Sparta,
Wis., in 1854; was educated in the public schools and g-raduated from
a commercial colleg-e at Milwaukee, Wis. When sixteen years old
entered a drug- store at Red Wing-, Minn., where he remained eig-ht
years, then for three years was in the drug- business at Prescott,
Wis. The next seven years traveled for Noyes Bros. & Cutler of
St. Paul. In 1884 went to Howard, Miner county, S. D., and was
there eng-aged in banking- until 1895, when he moved to Sioux Palls.
While at Howard was mayor one year. Since coming- to Sioux Palls
he has had charg-e of the Syndicate block, and is now also in charg-e
of the Edmison-Jameson and Gilbert blocks. Mr. Kendall is a g-ood
business man, pleasant and affable, and hig-hly respected by a wide
circle of acquaintances.





H. H. Keith.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 591



Kidder, Jefferson P., was born in 1816 at Braintree, Vermont,
where he received a common school education; was trained to ag-ricul-
tural pursuits, and taug-ht school. He prepared for colleg-e at the
Orang-e county Grammar school, graduated at the Norwich universi-
ty and was a tutor therein. In 1848 he received the deg-ree of Master
of Arts from the University of Vermont; studied and practiced law;
was a member of the state constitutional convention of Vermont in
1843; was state's attorney in 1842-9; was a member of the state sen-
ate of Vermont in 1847-8; was lieutenant o-overnor of Vermont in
1853-4; removed to St. Paul, Minnesota in 1857; was elected a pro-
visional deleg-ate from Dakota territory while visiting- there in 1859;
was a member of the Minnesota house of representatives in 1861-3-4;
was appointed associate justice of the supreme court of Dakota ter-
ritory in 1865, and removed there; was reappointed in 1869 and ag-ain
in 1873, and resig-ned after having- discharg-ed the duties of that office
for ten years; \vas elected to the Forty-fourth Cong-ress in October,
1874, as a Republican, receiving- a majority of 2,408 votes over Moses
K. Armstrong-, a Democrat; was ag-ain, in 1876, elected deleg-ate and
served until 1879, when he was reappointed associate justice of the
supreme court of Dakota territory and held this office until his death,
which occurred October 2, 1883. He held his first term of the dis-
trict court in Minnehaha county in June, 1879, and remained Judg-e
of this court until his decease. He was an honest judg-e and g-reatly
respected by all who knew him.

KiLAND, GusTAV H., was born at Manitowoc, Wis., March 2,
1862. He attended school until twenty-one years of ag-e, g-raduating-
from the Luther coUeg-e, at Decorah, Iowa, in 1883; then returned to
his native town; was elected justice; commenced the study of law, and
was g-raduated from the law department of the State University at
Madison, Wis., in 1889. In July of that year came to Sioux Falls,
and entered the law^ office of Boyce & Boyce, where he remained
three years; then opened a law office by himself, but soon after
formed a copartnership with Wm. Fuerste; in 1890, was appointed a
member of the board of trustees of the State University at Vermil-
lion, S. D. ; in 1896-7 was city assessor of the city of Sioux Falls; is
secretary and treasurer of the City Hospital, and of the Scandina-
vian Publishing- Co., and was elected" clerk of the school board of the
city of Sioux Falls in 1899, and is practicing law. Mr. Kiland is a
good official, a good business man, and an esteemed citizen.

KiRBY, Joseph, like other people was at one time a mere child,
in fact, he was a very small child October 5, 1863, when his parents
began to care for him at Chickasaw county, Iowa. He worked on his
father's farm, taught district schools, and studied law a little in New
Hampton, Iowa. On the 28th day of June, 1886, he arrived in Sioux
Falls, and within thirty minutes after his arrival was reading law in
Bailey & Davis' law office. He was admitted to practice November
12, 1886, but was employed by Bailey & Davis until March 17, 1888,
since which time he has been practicing law by himself. There is
not a more untiring, indefatigable and persistent (right or wrong;
lawyer in the city of Sioux Falls. He has a great faculty of getting



592 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



business, and since 1888, it is probable that no attorney's name has
appeared in so many cases in the courts of Minnehaha county, and
possibly in the supreme court as that of Joseph Kirby. During- the
last three years he has had quite an experience. The post offices at
Waubav, Miller and Highmore in South Dakota, had been robbed,
and quite an amount of postag-e stamps taken. On the 2d of July,
18%, a detective called at his office and demanded the stamps stolen.
Mr. Kirby turned over a packag-e he had received twenty-two days
before. He was indicted in the United States district court that
fall, charged with having- received all the stamps stolen from the
offices above named, knowing- them to have been stolen, with the intent
to appropriate them to his own use. The indictment was held to be
bad on demurrer, and he was ag-ain indicted and brought to trial.
When the evidence was all in, the court directed a verdict of not
g-uiltv as to the stamps stolen at Waubay and Miller, and the High-
more branch was submitted to the jury. The jury disagreed. The
case was again tried, and the jury after being out fifty-two hours
brought in a verdict of guilty as to the first count in the indictment,
and he was sentenced to the penitentiary for the term of two years.
A majority of the jurors made affidavits after the verdict had been
rendered, that they did not intend, and did not suppose that in ren-
dering the verdict they had found him g'uilty of intending to appro-
priate the stamps to his own use, which was essential to the finding
of a verdict of guilty. The case was appealed to the United States
supreme court, and was heard in January last, and this court found
that he had been erroneously convicted, and sent the case back to the
trial court for a new trial. The case will be on the calendar of the
October, 1899, term of the United States district court held at Sioux
Palls. In consequence of the conviction, Mr. Kirby was disbarred
from the practice of law in the state and United States courts, but
immediately after the decision was rendered by the United States
supreme court, the state supreme court reinstated him. The United
States through its officials prosecuted Mr. Kirby with great vigor,
and nothing was left undone that could possibly aid in his conviction.
Mr. Kirby is a man of wonderful energy, takes a hand in all public
affairs, and is an enterprising, generous citizen.

Kingsbury, Walter R., was born in Andover, Connecticut,
December 25, 1832. He was reared on a farm, attended the public
schools, and was graduated from the State Normal school. He taught
school in Connecticut and Illinois for thirteen years, and then en-
gaged in the mercantile business for the same length of time, first in
Adams county, Illinois and then in Chicago. On the 4th day of
April, 1878, he arrived in Sioux Palls, and until 1883 was engaged in
the real estate business, and was the promoter of some of the large
business enterprises of the city. He has always been an industrious,
enterprising citizen, and greatly esteemed by a large circle of
acquaintances. He is one of those persons who has merited greater
success in his attempts to build up Sioux Palls than has fallen to his
lot, but this has not been owing to want of courage and ability in his



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 58 of 99)