Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 59 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 59 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


management. A loyal friend, a first-class citizen, and a generous
neighbor, are the most prominent characteristics of the subject of
this sketch.




Joseph Kikby



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTV 5')5



KiTTREDGE, ALFRED B., is a native of Cheshire county, New
Hampshire, and was born March 28, 1861; received his early educa-
tion in public schools and by private tutor; in 1878 entered Yale and
t»-raduated from that institution in 1882; then commenced the study
of law in the office of Judo-e Veasey, at Rutland, Vermont, and also
studied in the office of Bachelder & Faulkner of the same place, until
1884, when he entered the Yale law school from which he g-raduated
in the sprino- of 1885; was admitted to the bar by the supreme court
of Connecticut the following- June; then came to Sioux Palls, and sub-
sequently entered into a copartnership with C. H. Winsor, which
copartnership existed until Mr. Winsor removed to New York in
October, 1895.

It is only fourteen years since Mr. Kittredg-e came to Dakota,
but he is one of the best known men in the state. This is larg-ely
due to the part he has taken in politics. He soon became very popu-
lar with his associates, and nothing-, in the estimation of his friends,
was too gfood for him, which resulted in his being- pushed to the front
in political circles. Possessed of g-ood sense, and a rare faculty of
org-anization, he soon exercised a controlling- influence over the po-
litical conventions of the Republican party, and persons desirous of
political promotion in South Dakota come to Sioux Palls at their
earliest convenience to consult Mr. Kittredg-e.

He was elected senator from Minnehaha count\' in 1889 and re-
elected in 1891, and was one of the most influential men in the senate.
At the national republican convention in 1892 he was elected a mem-
ber of the national republican committee from South Dakota and re-
elected in 1896. He has never been a trifler in political matters, and
if any criticism is to be made upon his political methods, it is that he
has pushed aside from political preferment all such persons as would
not flg-ht in the ranks with the same zeal as they would if their names
appeared upon the roll call of the acknowledg-ed leaders of the party.
He is the local attorney for the Great Northern and the Chicag^o,
Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad companies and has a larg-e law
practice which he is industriouslv looking- after; and with his
thoroug-h leg-al attainments and wide acquaintance it is not too much
to expect that he will ])ecome one of the most successful lawyers in
South Dakota.

Klauson, William, was l)orn on a farm in the province of
Sodermanland, Sweden, July 22, 18()2. He attended the public
schools and the Unixersity at Stockhcdm, where he was g-raduated in
1883; worked as foreman for a building- contractor three years, and
then came to this country and settled at Salem, McCook county, this
state, December 11, 1886; worked as stone mason until 1892, when he
located at Sioux Palls, where he has since been eng-ag-ed in the real
estate business. Mr. Klauson is a conserxative, safe business man,
and a g-ood citizen.

Knapp, Dexter J., was born at Dummerston, Vt., November
30, 1844; was educated in the public schools, and when only sixteen
years of ag-e went to New Haven, Conn., and engag-ed in the silk
trade for about six years; then went to Minneapolis, Minn., where he



5% HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



eno-ag-ed in the loan and lumber business until he removed to Sioux
Falls in October, 1877. At first he bought city lots and did some
l)uilding-, but his principal business from that time to the present
writing^ has been dealing- in real estate. He has been a great adver-
tiser, sending out circulars by the thousands at times, in which he
portrayed the advantag-es of the country in his peculiar and attrac-
tive style. He has also written articles for the newspapers which
were sure to catch the public eye. But he has not confined himself
to literarv efforts in the interest of the public. Pour years ago it
occurred to him that the ponds and rivers in southeastern Dakota
were not yielding- their proportion of food supply for the inhabitants.
With him to conceive of a project, especially where the public good
is concerned, is to act. He studied the subject and came to the con-
clusion that the streams oug'ht to be stocked with fish, and without
any aid or any hope of gain to himself, he interceded with the United
States commissioner of fish and fisheries for a supply of fry. He
has received six larg-e consignments, and distributed them in the
lakes, rivers and streams throughout this part of the state, not for-
getting Minnehaha county. He put three millions of black bass,
croppies and other game fish into Wall Lake, and the Split Rock re-
ceived a larg-e supply of speckled and rainbow trout. He was ap-
pointed fish warden of the state by the late Governor Sheldon, and
has received two appointments to the same office by Governor Lee.
Mr. Knapp is an industrious, enterprising and esteemed citizen.

Knowles, E^dward S., was born in Rigo, N. Y., February 24,
1861; attended the common schools, and the Rochester academy in
New York; moved to Danville, 111., in 1878, and after having- attended
the high school at that place for some time, engag-ed as clerk in a
grocery store one year; came to Sioux Falls on the 14th day of April,
1882, and eng-aged in the grocerv business under the firm name of
Mighton & Knowles; in 1884 was employed by the Insurance Com-
pany of Dakota, and in 1885, by the Luverne Granite Company, at
Luverne, Minn.; subsequent to this was employed by Avery & Er-
skine, Walter French, and T. J. Fosdick in Sioux Falls, as clerk in
their mercantile business; in 1893 went into the insurance business,
and is now a member of the firm of Morcom & Knowles in the same
business. Mr. Knowles is a Knight Templar and Shriner, and has
been the recorder of the Chapter in Sioux Falls since 1890. He is
prominent in social circles, and is a respected citizen.

Kreiser, Frederick, was born in Germany, Januarv (>, 1851;
emigrated to the United States in 1868, and located in Milwaukee,
Wisconsin, where he remained until he removed to Sioux Falls May
1, 1883. Has nearly all his life worked at his trade, which is that of
carpenter. In 1889 was elected alderman from the Second ward in
the city of Sioux Falls and served one year. In 1894 was elected
alderman from the Sixth ward for a two years' term. In May, 1898,
was appointed chief of police of the city of Sioux Falls. He is a g-ood
(jfiicial, a good neig-hbor and an uprig-ht citizen.




Alfred B. Kittredge.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNT Y. 599



K(TH, Solomon, is a native of Saxony, (xermany, and was born
Autj;-iist 19, 1825. He received a common school education, and when
quite young- became clerk in his father's store, and remained there
until twenty-two years old, when he emig-rated to the United States;
was clerk in a store of g-eneral merchandise in Baltimore, Md., for
several years, and a commercial traveler for about ten years; re-
moved from Baltimore to Pittsburg-h, Pa., where he clerked in a
store for about two years; then went to Milwaukee; came to Chicag-o
in 1859. just as the cholera epidemic broke out; there were no rail-
roads at that time, and he took the stag-e for Dubuque, Iowa, where
he remained two years; then embarked on the War Eagle, which had
the famous statesman Charles Sumner on board, and went to St.
Paul, and during- the trip saw the present site of Minneapolis, where
at that time nothing- could be seen but endless prairie and a land
office down in a ravine; returned to Dubuque, g-ot married, and en-
g-ag-ed in the mercantile business there for several years; then re-
moved to Des Moines, Iowa, where he opened a broom factory and
resided for about eig-ht years; in April, 1889, he came to Sioux Palls,
where he has since resided. Since his coming- here he has invested
heavily in real estate. He also opened a broom factory in connection
with his two sons, Julius and Louis Kuh, under the firm name of
Kuh Bros., and the}^ are doing- an extensive and successful business.
Mr. Kuh has always been an active business man, and notwithstand-
ing- his ag-e takes active interest in evervthing- calculated to promote
the prosperity of the city in which he lives. He is an enterprising-
man, and a good citizen.

Lacy, John S., was born in Portag-ecountw (^hio, September 30,
1831. He received a g-ood education, and after having- become of ag-e
eng-ag-ed in farming- in (3hio, Iowa and Minnesota until 1887, when
he removed from the last mentioned place to Dakota. In 1889 he
came to this count}' and settled in Clear Lake tow^nship, taking- up
the northw^est one-fourth of section 28 as a homestead, and the south-
west of section 21 as a tree claim. Some years afterward he sold
this land and purchased the w^est half of the northeast one-fourth of
section 30, where he resided until 1895, when he removed to the
city of Sioux Falls. Before coming- to this county he had held town
and county offices w^here he formerly resided; was assessor of Clear
Lake in 1891, and served upon the g-rand jury the same year. Mr.
Lacy is a thoroug-hly well informed man, an uprig-ht, honest citizen
and g-reatly respected by all who have the pleasure of his acquaint-
ance.

Lamb, Richard, of colored parentag-e, was born at New Castle,
Indiana, in 1832. He came to Sioux Palls in April, 1879, and resided
at this place until his death, which occurred Pebruary 7, 1897.
While a resident of Sioux Palls he conducted a barber shop, and
practiced medicine to a limited extent. He was a well informed
man and took an active interest in public affairs, and, what was
more, he had positive convictions and was always ready to main-
tain them. He was hig-hly respected as a citizen and it will be a
long- time before the acquaintances of Richard Lamb will forg-et
his polite and kindly g-reeting-s.



600 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



LanGvSETH, Peder, is a native of Trondhjem, Norwa}', and
was born October 6, 1858. He was o-raduated from the State Nor-
mal School in 1879, and from the Latin department in the college
at Christiana in 1884 and passed the philosophical examination in
the State University at that place in 188(). During- this time he was
also a teacher in a private college in Christiana. In 1887 came
to the United States and entered the Lutheran Seminary at Mad-
ison, Wisconsin, where he took a theolog-ical course and was g-rad-
uated in 1890. Soon after he became pastor of a Lutheran church
at West Tacoma, Washing-ton, and remained there three years. In
1893 came to Sioux Palls and since then has been one of the able
corps of teachers at the Lutheran Normal School.

Larson, Edward, was born in Norway on a farm near Christi-
ania, on the 9th day of January, 1838. He never attented school a
day in his life. After working- on a farm until fourteen years of ag-e,
he went into business for himself in a small way in the country. At
sixteen he went to Christania, and eng-ag-ed in business tiiere until he
emig-rated to this country. He arrived at Rushford, Minnesota, on
the 16th day of Aug-ust, 1869, and took employment in a tin shop. He
continued in this work until he removed to Sioux Falls, where he ar-
rived on the 10th day of August, 1876. He then secured by pre-emp-
tion a quarter section of land in Benton township; built a sod house,
and mov^ed into it; but the following- spring- he came to Sioux Falls
and put up a building- on Phillips avenue, sixteen by thirty feet, and
opened a tin shop. For ten years he did business at this place, and
then removed to his present location on Eig-hth street. From the time
he commenced business down to the present writing-, he has been
constantly adding- to his line of business, so that to-day he has every-
thing- that a person would be liable to call for in a hardware store.
His energ-y, thrift, and enterprise in business is proverbial, and it
has resulted in his accumulating- quite a larg-e property. Besides
his business property he owns at the present time a fine residence,
five farms, and more than a dozen tenement houses. He never med-
dles with politics, and would as soon think of lecturing- upon scientific
subjects as to run for office. There are but few men like him in any
community. He lets other people's affairs alone, attends strictly to
business, and is a respected citizen.

Lawshe, Isaac (tRANTHAM, was born on a farm in northwestern
Illinois, on the 15th day of March, 1860. He g-raduated from the hig-h
school of Sharon, Wisconsin, taught school for two years, and then
engaged in railroad work in the southern states. In 1889, he came to
Sioux Falls, studied law with G. P. Nock, and was admitted to the
bar November 17, 1891. Since then he has been in the practice of his
profession at Sioux Falls, devoting his time almost exclusively to col-
lections. He is an honest, upright lawyer, and a good citizen.

Leakey, Levi, a brother of Milton R., was born in Henrv countv,
Indiana, February 23, 1824, and died in Sioux Falls September 13,
1898. He was raised on a farm, and when he attained his majoritv
P"jchased a farm on which he resided until he removed to Iowa in
1877. While in Indiana he was prominent in the affairs of the town



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY 601



in which he lived. He came to Sioux Frills in the fall of 187*), and
soon after purchased a farm a few miles out of the city, and aside
from the care of this farm had little to do with business affairs.
When the Illinois Central and the Willmar & Sioux Falls railroads
were being- built into the county, he was appointed by the court, and
served as one of the appraisers of damag-es for the rio-ht-of-way.
Quaint in his manners, and manner of speech, still, he had such a
direct, honest way of expressing" himself upon public questions, na-
tional and local, that it was a pleasure to meet and converse with him.
He was an exceptionally kind neigdibor, an honest man and a hig-hly
esteemed citizen.

Leakey, Milton R., was born in Henry county, Indiana,
August 26, 1834. He attended the public schools and worked on a
farm until eig-hteen years of ag-e, when he commenced work at the
carpenter's trade, and continued in this employment in his native
state until he removed to Sioux Falls, where he arrived in Februarv,
1882, and eng-ag-ed in the same work for six years, but by that time he
had secured a g-ood farm, and having- other property interests to look
after, abandoned his trade. Mr. Leakey is a well known citizen of
Sioux Falls, and is hig-hly esteemed as an uprig-ht, honest man and
a good citizen,

LeBlond, Dr. John B., w^as born in Ohio, February 27, 1825,
and died at Sioux Falls, July 24, 1895. He studied medicine at Cleve-
land, Ohio, and practiced in his native state until 1856, w^hen he moved
to Brownsville, Minnesota. He was a member of the first and second
leg-islature of that state. When the civil war broke out he w'as ap-
pointed surgeon, and was in the service during- the entire war. He
came to Sioux Falls in 1880, and practiced his profession until the
time of his decease. He was a g'ood physician, a skilful surg-eon, a
splendid neighbor, and a hig-hly esteemed citizen.

Levinger, Moriz, is a native of Bavaria, and was born March
28, 1852. He received his school education in the old country and
emigrated to the United States in 1869. He has always been in the
brewery business, w^orking in New^ York, Chicag-o and in Oskaloosa,
Iowa, until the fall of JL884, when he came to Sioux Falls as superin-
tendent of the brewery at this place, in which position he remained
until he and Moses Kaufmann purchased it on the I7th day of Fel)-
ruary, 1886. He is a practical brewer, and understands the busi-
ness in all its details. Since the purchase of the brewery, Levinger
& Kaufmann have managed the business with more than ordinary
business ability. Mr. Levinger is not only a good business man, but
is public-spirited and generous, and his influence, although cjuietly
exerted, is felt upon the public issues of the day.

Lewis, Mrs. Clara, came to Sioux Falls in 1872, and taught a
select school in the barracks during- the winter of 1872-3, and also
the following summer. In the fall of 1873, she taught the first term
of the district school in the Libbey hall. During the fall the first
school house was finished. It was located on the grounds where the
Central school house now stands, and H. J. Whipple taught the first
term. Mrs. Lewis was in the barracks with her scholars when the



602 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



o-reat blizzard of the 7th of January, 1873, swept over this section of
the country. She succeeded in g-etting- home that nig-ht with g-reat
difficulty, althoug-h she had but a short distance to g-o, residing- at the
time where the Syndicate block now stands. The small children
were cared for at the barracks for three days. Mrs. Lewis has re-
sided in Sioux Palls since first coming- here, and has always taken an
active part in promoting- the welfare of the cit}^

Lewis, George W., is a native of Malone, Franklin county, X.
Y., and was born on the 3d day of January, 1844. His father was a
merchant. When the subject of this sketch was quite young- he re-
moved with his parents to Canada, where he remained until he was
twenty-one years of ag-e; then went to Worcester, Mass., where he
was employed as clerk in a hardware store for five years; then went
to Faribault, Minn., where he remained eig-ht years, clerking- in a
store, working- in an insurance office, and for two years was steward
of the Institute for Deaf and Dumb located there. In the spring- of

1878 he came to Sioux Falls. He took up a homestead in Hartford
township upon which he resided for awhile and then came to Sioux
Falls and went into the Sioux Falls Bank (Young- & Hollister) and
remained in its employ one year. In the fall of 1879 he eng-ag-ed
in the insurance business in which he has continued until the pres-
ent writing-. Mr. Lewis is a methodical, conservative business man,
and is held in hig^h esteem as a neig-hbor and citizen by all who know
h i m .

Lien, Burre H., was born at Spirit Lake, Iowa, December 21,
1859. His parents were driven away by the Indians in 1863, and
lived at Jackson, Minnesota, a short time, and then went to Decorah,
Iowa, where they resided until 1873, at which time they removed to
Faribault county, Minnesota. The subject of this sketch received
his education in the Normal school at Mankato, Minnesota, and in

1879 moved to Brookings county, Dakota, where he taug-ht school and
farmed until 1883. From that time to 1885 he was deputy reg-ister
of deeds in that county, and in November of that year was elected
probate judg-e. At the next g-eneral election he was elected reg-ister
of deeds, and re-elected two years later, and was a member of the
city council of the city of Brooking-s three years. He removed to
Sioux Falls in 1891; was one of the charter members of the Co-oper-
ative Saving's and Loan Association, and has been its treasurer since
its org-anization; was elected alderman from the Third ward in 1894,
and mayor of the city of Sioux Falls in 1898; in March, 1899, was
appointed a member of the state board of charities and corrections,
and was elected its chairman. Mr. Lien is a successful business
man, an enterprising- citizen, and his political influence is felt
throug-hout the state.

Lien, Jonas H., was born in Faribault county, Minnesota, De-
cember 12, 1874. He was reared by his brother, B. H. Lien, their
father having- died while Jonas was quite young-. He was a student
in the Ag-ricultural Colleg-e at Brooking-s, S. D., and there fitted for
a colleg-iate course. He entered the Nebraska University in 1894,
but dropped out to take part in the presidential campaig-n in 1896.





Sr ^^!HkN%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^h


^^^K.






Jl^^*^ "''^'' '^ J^^^^^^^^^^^^^l


Bqh


HflB9l




^^^



Jonas H. Lien.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. (»05



He was employed bv the State Central Committee of the Populist
[)arty in South Dakota, and spoke during- the campaig-n in almost
every countv in the state east of the Missouri river. He was at once
recog-nized as a strong- political speaker. Such was his success in
this campaig-n that he soon became known as the "Boy Orator of the
Sioux." At the next session of the leg-islature he was elected chief
clerk of the assembly, and then for a short time was the city editor
of the Sioux Falls Daily Press. During- the spring- of that year he
resumed his studies at the Nebraska University, where he was g-rad-
uated in the spring- of 1898. Ag-ain for a short time he worked upon
the Press, but when the war wdth Spain broke out he enlisted in
Company I, First Reg-iment South Dakota Volunteers, and was mus-
tered into service May 4, 1898, as First Lieutenant and Adjutant.
His purpose had been to become a private and earn promotion if
possible. His friends persuaded him to accept the commission, and
he entered upon the discharg-e of his duties with the energ-y and
ability which always characterized him. In the Philippines he was
in the hottest of every fig-ht, from Block House No. 4 where the first
battle occurred between the Americans and Filipinos February 4
and 5, 1899, to Marilao where he was killed March 27, 1899.

Of him his colonel said: "He was the bravest man I ever knew,
and one of the best officers." He had been promoted to the rank of
captain, but had not received his commission when he met his death.
No one of his ag-e was better and more favorably known throug-hout
the state, and his untimely death was most sincerely deplored by all
who knew him.

Look, August, is a native of Germany, and was born November
24, 1842. He emig-rated to the United States in 1871, and resided in
Wisconsin and Iowa until 1883, at which time he removed to Sioux
Falls. He purchased the southwest quarter of section thirty, and
the northwest quarter of section thirty-one, in Split Rock, and re-
sided there a few years. He then rented his farm and removed to
the city of Sioux Falls and eng-ag-ed in the meat market business, in
which he has been very successful. Mr. Look is up to the standard
of g-ood citizenship, and is well liked by his neig-hbors.

Look, Carl, was born in Germany, Aug-ust 25, 1861; was edu-
cated in the public schools. In 1883 came to the United States, and
arrived at Sioux Falls, September 25, and immediately went to
work for his brother, Augfust Look, in his meat market. He re-
mained in his employ until 1891, when he commenced business for
himself, in which he has since continued. No man in the meat busi-
ness in the city has furnished better meats to his customers than
Carl Look, and as he is a pleasant, honest man to do l)usiness with,
he is prospering-.

Ludlow, George A., was born at Ithaca, New York. Aug-ust 31,
1840. He attended the common and hig-h schools, and worked on a
farm until he became of ag-e. In 1861 he enlisted in Co. E, First
Penn. Rifles Bucktails, and served six years, seven months and four-
teen days. After having- completed his military service he eng-ag-ed
in manufacturing- lumber in Steuben county, New York, for two



606 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



years, and then kept a hotel at Sabinsville, Penn., for one year. His
next employment was in the U. S. Mint at Philadelphia, where he
remained five vears; then for four years was a commercial trav^eler,
and deputy sheriff of Tiog-a county, Penn., the same number of
years. In 1892 he came to Port Pierre, S. D., and removed from
there to Sioux Falls in June, 1895, where he has since resided; was
for a number of years proprietor of the Central House; is deputy
U. S. Marshal, and department Commander of the U. V. Union of
South Dakota. Captain Ludlow is a very energetic, enterprising-
man, a respected citizen, and has a large circle of acquaintances.

Lyon, William Hoyt, was born at Carrol, Carrol county, Iowa,
November 26, 1858. His father, Samuel Lyon, was a physician, and
removed from Iowa to Vermillion during the summer of 1860. The
subject of this sketch attended the district school during his boy-
hood, and in 1874-5 attended the academy at Newton, Iowa. In 1876
taught school at Vermillion, and the following year entered the
United Presbyterian college at Monmouth, Iowa, where he was grad-
uated in 1881; then entered the law office of Gamble Bros, at Yank-
ton, South Dakota, where he remained one year, and then attended a
law school at St. Louis, Mo., one year; was admitted to the bar at
Yankton in 1882; in the fall of 1883 came to Sioux Falls and entered



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 59 of 99)