Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 60 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 60 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the law office of M. Grigsby, and in 1885 the law firm of Grigsby &
Lyon was established. On the 7th day of January, 1888, the firm of
Grigsby & Lyon having been dissolved, Mr. Lyon entered the law
firm of Bailey & Davis, and is now a member of the firm of Davis,
Lyon & Gates. Soon after coming to Sioux Falls he published a
book which caused some comment. It was entitled The People's
Problem, and took advanced ground in favor of the ownership of rail-
roads by the government, and other kindred topics. In 1892 he was
an independent candidate for the lower house of the legislature upon
the issue of the sale of intoxicating liquors by municipal corpora-
tions, and the large vote he received was a surprise even to himself.
He is a man of positive convictions, and when he emphasizes his re-
marks bv an occasional "by himmel" the hearer is convinced that
he should never be employed to drive an ox-team. He is a good law-
yer, and socially he is in the front rank, and is one of those persons
who know more at the end than at the beginning of the year.

Magner, Samuel H., was born in Peoria, Indiana, August 27,
•[844, At the age of six years he removed with his parents to Paris,
Illinois, and received his early education in the common schools at
that place. In 1861, he enlisted in Company E, 12th Illinois for
three months, and at the expiration of the term of his enlistment,
re-enlisted, but was transferred to the U. S. Signal Service corps,
and remained in the service until October, 1865. He then engaged
in the dry goods trade at Paris, until 1870, when he removed to In-
dianapolis and engaged in the same business until 1885. He then
went to Pierre, in this state, and removed from there to Sioux Falls
in November, 1886, where he has since resided. Mr. Magner is an
active, enterprising citizen, and takes a prominent part in public
matters. He is greatly interested in the welfare of the public



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. (>()';



schools, and has been on the school board for the last seven years,
and its president since 1807. He is also quite a factor in politics,
and is reg'arded as one of the ])r()minent men of the citv and county.

Marson, Thomas C, is a native of Nottino-ham, Enuiand, and
was born January 4, 1834. In 1846 he emig-rated with his parents to
the United States and settled in Rochester, New York. In 1855 he
went to Rochelle, 111., where he worked at the carpenter's trade,
which he had learned in early life. He remained there until he re-
moved to Sioux Falls in Aug-ust, 1876, where he has since resided,
eng-ag-ed in contracting- and building. He was a member of the Ma-
sonic order before coming" to Dakota, and is one of the oldest Masons
in Sioux Palls. He is a g-ood citizen.

Marty, Rt. Rev. Martin, first l)ishop of the Catholic diocese
of South Dakota, was born in Schwytz, Switzerland, January, 12,
1834. There was a Jesuit colleg-e at that place, where he beg"in the
study of Latin when nine years of ag^e. He took a philosophical and
theolog'ical course in the Benedictine Abbey of Einsiedeln, becoming"
a member in 1854, and was ordained a priest of the Roman Catholic
church in 1856. After teaching- for some time in the colleg'e became
to the colony which the Abbey had started in St. Meinard, Spencer
county, Indiana. When this colony was made an Abbey by Pius IX
in 1870, he was by him appointed its first Abbot, and remained there
until 1876, when he came to Standing" Rock Ag-ency, Dakota, to con-
tinue among" the Sioux Indians the work begfun bv Father DeSmet,
S. J. In 1879 Dakota Territory became a Vicariate Apostolic, of
which he was put in chargfe as Bishop of Tiberias, and when Leo
XIII erected the Diocese of South Dakota in 1889, he became its first
Bishop. His field of labor was a larg"e one, extending- over more
than 150,000 square miles, with a population of less than one white
person to the square mile, and his labor was g-reatly enhanced by
the difficulties in reaching" the people he had in charge. Until the
27th of December, 1889, when the Rt. Rev. John Shanley was conse-
crated bishop for North Dakota, Bishop Marty had performed the
duties of his office with g"reat energ-y and fidelity in the whole of the
Territory of Dakota, suffering" many wants and privations with
true apostolic spirit. He remained Bishop of South Dakota until
about the first of January, 1895, when he was transferred to St.
Cloud, Minnesota. He left behind him the evidence of having" per-
formed a g-reat work, for under his administration over one hundred
churches had been built, and sixty stations, seven academies, eig"h-
teen parochial schools and six Indian Missions had been established.
It is no wonder that the health of the g"ood bishop had been impared,
and he had richly earned a transfer to a diocese more compact, whose
care would require less physical exertion, where he could spent the
declining" years of a busy life surrounded with such comforts as a
frontier diocese had denied him. Bishop Marty was well and favor-
ably known -throug-hout the Dakotas, and during- the few years he
made his residence in Sioux Falls he g"reatly endeared himself to his
people, who deeply reg"retted his departure.

Since writing- the foregoing- biographical sketch, the devout



()()8 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



bishop has g-one to receiv^e the reward awaitino- those who have
labored faithfully in the Master's vineyard. He died at St. Cloud,
Minnesota, on the morning- of September 19, 18%, where, during- his
short residence he became g-reatly beloved not only by the people of
his church but by all with whom he came in contact. The funeral
was held from the cathedral in St. Cloud, September 23, and was the
larg-est that had ever taken place in that city. Bishop Ireland
preached the funeral sermon and about 100 priests were in attendance.
The remains were escorted to Calvary cemetery by the four local
Catholic societies, followed b\^ a procession which called into requisi-
tion every vehicle in the city.

May, Edward, was born near New Orleans, La,, November 6,
1855; was educated at the public schools and at the University of Vir-
g-inia and then eng-ag-ed in the cotton trade with his father at his native
city. When twenty-two years old he became a member of the Board
of Trade in Chicagfo and also of the Union Leag-ue Club, which mem-
bership he retained until 1895. In 1883 he established the Turner
County Bank at Hurlev, Turner county, this state, where he remain-
ed until July, 1889, when he removed to Sioux Falls, where he has
since resided eng-ag-ed in the real estate business. He is very popu-
lar in social circles, is a g-ood business man and hig-hly esteemed as a
citizen,

McGarraugh, John T., was born in Ohio July 13, 1842, and
moved with his parents to Iowa when seven years of age. In 1861 he
enlisted for three years in the 14th Iowa Infantry, and served as a
non-commissioned officer three 3^ears and three months. In 1869 he
went to Cla}^ county, Dakota, and in the fall of 1870 came to Sioux Palls
and pre-empted the southeast one-fourth of section 28, in the town-
ship of Sioux Palls, where he has since resided. He has a valuable
quartzite stone quarry on his farm and is the owner of 480 acres of
land in Lincoln county. During- his long- residence in Sioux Palls he
has been highly respected as a neighbor and a citizen.

McKee, John, is a native of Belfast, Antrim county, Ireland,
and was born June 5, 1847, He worked on a farm and attended school
until sixteen years of ag-e when he commenced work in a harness
shop and continued at this work until he was twenty-one years old,
at which time he emigrated to the United States. He came first to
New York city, where he worked for awhile at his trade, but conclud-
ed that he would not settle down until he had seen something- of the
country. He then went to Pennsylvania, Illinois and Iowa, working
at his trade, and arrived in Sioux Palls in September, 1871. Soon
after he pre-empted the south half of the northwest one-fourth and
the east half of the southwest one-fourth of section 31, in Benton
township, lived in a dugout for about six months and then went to
Sioux Palls and opened a harness shop in the barracks. Prom that
time until the fall of 1892 he continued in this business. He has been
successful in business and owns some fine city property as well as
large tracts of farm land in this county, which he manages himself.
In the fall of 1883 he was elected county commissioner from the city
and bv re-elections continued inofficeuntil Januarv, 1893, havingbeen




Rt. Rev. Martin Marty



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. • 611



chairman of the board since January 1, 1886. During-the time of his
chairmanship the court house was built, and while it was bein(»- con-
structed he could be found more frequently at the court house site
than at his own place of business, and was universally acknowled<*-ed
to be a careful, painstaking ofiicial. The writer has been a near
neig'hbor of his for several vears and can testify that no one could be
more accommodating- than Mr. McKee, and all who know him will ad-
mit that he is a good citizen.

McKeever, Patrick W., was born in Dixon, Illinois, January
11, 1868. When four years of ag-e removed with his parents to St.
Louis, Mo., received a common school education, worked ashort time
for a tobacco house and then learned the tailor's trade. On the 12th
dav of August, 1888, came to Sioux Palls with E. R. Barnes, the
tailor, and worked with him at his trade for nearly two years; then
with Porseth for a short time and then with Jacob Becher for sever-
al vears. He has been a member of the fire department for several
years, two \^ears as chief of the department and two years as assist-
ant chief. He was for some time joint proprietor of the Oxford Ho-
tel with Roger Marson, under the name of Marson & McKeever, and
then conducted the Central House for a few months. In 18*)7 he
was elected alderman from the Pirst ward. He is one of the most
active and enterprising political workers in the city.

McKiNNEY, Charles E., is a native of Ulster, Pennsylvania,
and was born March 16, 1858. He worked on a farm and attended
the district schools during- his youth; attended school at Hamilton,
N. Y., one year, and the Cook Acadeni}' at Havana, N. Y., three
vears, where he graduated; studied law one year at Detroit, Michig-an,
and one year at Ann Arbor, Michigan; then went to Lanesboro, Min-
nesota, where he remained one year, and came to Sioux Palls in No-
vember, 1880. After his coming to Sioux Palls he entered into a
copartnership for the purpose of doing- a banking business. The
name of the firm was Easton, McKinney & Scougel, and it established
banks at Sioux Palls, Yankton and Dell Rapids. In December, 1882,
Mr. McKinney organized the Sioux Palls National Bank, and from
then to the present time he has been its president. He was admitted
to the bar in 1889; has been a member of the city school board, and
was a member of the commission appointed to adjust the financial
matters between North and South Dakota when they assumed state-
hood. In 1891 and 1892 he was one of the railroad commissioners of
South Dakota. He has always been an enterprising, active, energ-etic
citizen, occasionally taking- a hand in local and state politics, but has
devoted his time principally to financial matters, in which he has the
reputation of being cool-headed and successful.

McKinney, Dennis L., was born in Ulster, Bradford county,
Pennsylvania, October 14, 1855. During his youth he worked on a
farm, and knows what it is to bind grain by hand with a sprinkling of
Canada thistle intermixed. He receivedacommon schoolandacademic
education and graduated from the Lewisberg University in 1872. He
then took a course in medicine, and graduated from the medical
department of the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia, in



012 • HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



lcS78; after which he practiced medicine in Oneida county, New York,
until he removed to Sioux Falls, where he arrived on the 6th day of
May, 1881, and has remained there since then. He became connected
with the bank of Easton, McKinney & Scouo-al, and manager of the
McKinney Loan & Investment Company, which position he still holds.
He has also been connected with the Sioux Falls National Bank since
its org-anization, of which he is a director, and has been its vice
president since 1890. He was the first president of the Sioux Falls
Business Men's Leag-ue, and was alderman from the Sixth ward for
three years, but is best known as one of our prominent business
men, taking- g-reat interest in promoting the prosperity of South Da-
kota. Positive, energ-etic, and enterprising-, he is widely and favor-
ablv known in business circles.

McKiNNON, Thomas, was born in Glasg-ow, Scotland, in 1860,
and came to this country with his parents when nine years of ag-e,
and located at Evanston, 111., where he received his education. In
1876, he went to Wisconsin, where he resided until he removed to
Sioux Falls in 1870, which place has since been his home. He was
employed in carpenter work until 1886, and since that time has been
a contractor and builder. In 1889, he was elected alderman from the
Fourth ward, and throug-h re-elections served as such until May,
1806. He was a representative from this county in the leg'islature in
1805, and was elected county commissioner in November, 1808, for
the term of three years. He is a conservative, careful official, a g-ood
citizen, and is a hard man to beat at the polls.

McMartin, Thomas Bell, was born in Fairfield, Iowa, Octo-
ber 30, 1857; removed with his parents to Dixon, Illinois, in 1865,
where he received his education, studied law, and was admitted to the
bar March 18, 1879; practiced law at Dixon for about one year, and in
April, 1880, came to Sioux Falls, where he has since resided, devot-
ing his time to his profession. He was clerk in the law office of Ker-
shaw & Flag"g- for about nine months, and then formed a copartner-
ship with Eiiig-ene Coug-hran, which continued until October, 1880.
During- this time he had a constantly g-r<nving- practice, and was em-
ployed in some very important cases which he conducted with a g-ood
deal of ability. During- the year 1889, he formed a copartnership
with Judg-e Garland under the name of McMartin & Garland, which
firm existed until the 23d day of September, 1893, when it was dis-
solved, and Mr. McMartin has since been in practice by himself. He
has had considerable experience as attorney for receivers of insol-
vent institutions, having- been emploved by the receivers of the First
National Bank of Sioux Falls, the Ghamberlain National Bank, the
Madison National Bank, the Bank of South Dakota at Madison, Lake
county, the Dakota National Bank, and the Insurance Gompany of
Dakota. In the case of the Sioux Falls National Bank vs the First
National Bank of Sioux Falls, which g-rew out of the attachment of
the assets of the First National by the Sioux Falls National, Mr.
McMartin won the admiration of the bar by his persistent and suc-
cessful prosecution of the case on the part of the defendant bank. He
was defeated in the circuit and supreme courts of the state, but took




Charles E. McKinney




Dennis L. McKinney




T. B. Mc Martin,



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTV 610



the case to the Ignited States supreme court and there prevailed. He
did this a<j-ainst the advice of the comptroller of the currencv and the
opinions of distino-uished lawyers. Since his residence in Sioux Falls,
he has been United States Commissioner several vears. He is wi'll
liked by the leo-al profession, is g-enial and C()ni])ani()nabk' and has a
host of friends.

McNuLTY, Owen T., was born at Delavan, Wis., Februarv 20,
1864, was reared on a farm and educated in the public schools, and at
the college of the Sacred Heart at Prairie De Chien, Wis., where he
was graduated in June, 1887. On the 13th of October, following-, he
arrived in Sioux Falls; taug-ht school in Benton during- the fall and
winter, and then came back to Sioux Falls, and when W. W. Cooke
was appointed county auditor went into his office as chief clerk, and
remained there six months. In December, 1888, he went to Wiscon-
sin, but returned the following- spring- and taug-ht school at Rowena.
During- the fall of that year he became proprietor of the hotel at South
Sioux Falls, but left it soon after and taug-ht school in the Oaks dis-
trict in Wayne. During- the spring- of 1890, he went into the restau-
rant business in Sioux Falls, and has been eng-ag-ed in this and the
hotel business since then. He is an enterprising-, good business man,
well informed, and is a respected citizen.

Meredith, Rev. Evan Bradley, was born April 19, 1853, in Ken-
osha county, Wisconsin. His father was a Baptist minister, and moved
to Columbia county in the same state, in 1855, where he continued to
preach, and conducted the affairs of his farm with the aid of hired
help. The subject of this sketch worked on the farm, attended
school, and taug-ht district and sing-ing- schools until he was nineteen
years of ag-e, at which time he became a student in Wavland Acad-
emy at Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, g-raduating- in 1875. Immediately
thereafter, he entered the University of Chicag-o, where he g-radu-
ated in 1879, and then entered the Baptist Union Theolog-ical Semi-
nary at Morg-an Park, Chicag-o, where he g-raduated in the spring- of
1882. During- the seven years he was pursuing- his studies at Chi-
cag-o, he was also actively eng-ag-ed in a variety of enterprises, with a
view of defraying- his expenses, which he successfully accomplished.
During- the vacations he sold g-oods in no less than thirty-three states
and territories, and was quite extensively eng-ag-ed in the publishing-
business. The Chicag-o Grocer and Mercantile Review was estab-
lished by a stock company, having- 200 shares of stock, of which he
owned 196 shares. He was connected with and had an interest in
the Western Drug-g-ist and Medical Review, and also in the Biblical
World. In the fall of 1882 he sold out his Chicag-o interests and ac-
cepted a call to become the pastor of the First Baptist church at
Sioux Falls. He arrived in this city on the 23d day of December of
that year and immediately entered upon the duties of his pastorate.
Soon after this he was elected one of the directors of the Sioux Falls
Colleg-e and was made chairman of the executive committee. At the
expiration of two years and a half he resig-ned his charg-e over the
Baptist church, and accepted the presidency of the colleg-e.

The difficulties surrounding- the early days of nearly all institu-



62<> HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



tions of like character, have not been wanting- in the history of the
Sioux Falls Colleg-e, hut Mr. Meredith for ten years with u-reat
zeal and o-enerosity, labored in its interest. He also contributed
several thousand dollars of his own means to its support while he
was president. Mr. Meredith for several years was one of the laro-est
real estate dealers in Sioux Palls, and had charg-e of some of the
most important transactions in that line. He was a director and
president of the Security and Guaranty Coinpany, director and vice
president of the Commercial Trust Company, director of the Union
Trust Compan}^ and one of the directors of the Union National Bank;
all of these institutions having- their business headquarters in the
citv of Sioux Falls. He was also a director, and larg-ely interested
in the Eureka Milling- Company, and was one of the promoters of the
Wagon and Carriage Company, located west of the city.

That Mr. Meredith led an active, busy life, and was energ-etic
and enterprising- while a resident of Sioux Falls the foreg-oing- most
amply demonstrates. As a citizen he was well liked and hig-hly re-
spected, as a neigfhbor none could be more kind and oblig-ing-, and
when he left the city of Sioux Falls in 1895, the expression of reg-ret
at his departure was universal.

MiKKELSEN, Rev. Amund, was born in Norway in 1835, and emi-
grated to the United States in 1853; taught in the public schools for
three years; studied for the ministry at Fort Wayne, Ind., and at
St. Louis, Mo., and was ordained and entered the ministry in 1864.
During that year he was married to Miss Ingeborg- Nelson of Wis-
consin, and remained in the same state in charge of a congregation
until 1874, when he removed to Chicago to take charg-e of a cong-re-
gation, and remained there until 1889. During that vear he received
a call to come to Sioux Falls and become principal of the Lutheran
Normal School, which he accepted, and held this position until 1891,
when he resigned, but remained as one of the teachers in the school
until 189(), when he again assumed the duties of principal, and has
since been at the head of the faculty. Professor Mikkelsen is pos-
sessed of all the requisites for the successful administration of this
institution of learning, is scholarly, of equable temperament, com-
])ani()nable with the teachers and scholars, but firm in matters of
discipline. He quite frequently supplies the pulpit in the St. Olaf 's
church in the city, and is an able preacher. He is an earnest Chris-
tian worker, and since coming to Sioux Falls he and his estimable
wife have greatly endeared themselves to a large circle of acquaint-
ances.

Mills, Thomas Jefp^erson, is a native of Illinois. His parents
came to New York with four other families and settled in Chicago
for some time, and then removed to what is now the city of Aurora,
Kane county, Illinois, where the subject of this sketch was born on
the 22d day of September, 1837. When two years of age he removed
with his parents to a farm in Lake county, Illinois, and lived there
until he was seventeen years old. During the winters he attended
the district school in a log school house, with slabs for seats, and re-
ceived for any dereliction of duty the customary punishments in vogue




Owen T. McNulty.




Rev. E. B. Meredith.




T. J. MiLLi



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNT V. 620



at that time from the Atlantic ocean to the Mississippi river — of sit-
tintj- between two g'irls, holding- his fin.w-er on a nail in the floor, or
standino- on a dunce block with a lono- paper hat on his head. In this
manner Thomas received an education. When seventeen vears of
a,i;-e he went to Chicao-o and worked as an apprentice at the carpen-
ter's trade for three years, and then returned to farm life at his old
home until October '), 18()1. At this date he enlisted in a cavalrv
company attached to the 52d Illinois infantry reg-iment. In 1863 this
company became Company G, of the I5th Illinois cavalry. On the
22d day of Aug-ust, 18()4, he received his discharg-e and went home,
where he remained one year and then went to Oskosh, Wisconsin,
where he resided until the hrst day of Janu^iry, 1870. At the last
mentioned date he removed to Olmsted county, Minnesota, ^md resided
there until he came to Sioux Palls on the 31st day of May, 1871,
where he has since resided. He has worked at his trade since living-
in Sioux Falls, and during- six years of the time was in the emplov of
C. K. Howard. Mr. Mills has always been reg-arded as a kind neigh-
bor and exemplary citizen.

MoNSON, Martin, was born in Skien, Norway, July 13, 1870, and
emig-rated to the United States, arriving- at Sioux Palls in this county
on the 6th day of June, 1888, where he has since resided. He worked
at his trade of carpenter until March, 1898, when he became clerk in
the county auditor's office, and on the first day of June following-, was
appointed deputy auditor, which position he held until the spring- of
18*)*). He is quite active in political matters, makes a good official,
and is a g-ood citizen.

MoRCOM, Edmund D., was born in Lafayette county, Wiscon-
sin, September 5, 1859, but when quite young- moved with his parents
to Hazel Green in the same state. He attended the common schools,
and completed his education in the Normal school at Platteville, Wis-
consin, and then eng-ag-ed in teaching- school for two years; clerked^
awhile in a g'eneral store, and for a few months traveled for the An-
dreas Publishing- Co. of Chicag-o; solicited insurance in Iowa a short
time, and then was employed as secretary bv the superintendent of
the commissary department of the C, B. & O. R. R. Co. until he re-
moved to Sioux Palls in Pebruary, 1883, and entered the employ of
the Insurance Company of Dakota; remained with this company until
1887, and then became the assistant secretary of the Western P^ire



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 60 of 99)