Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 62 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 62 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ment of associate justice of the supreme court of Dakota territory in
February, 1884, for the term of four years. He served out his term,
althouo-h three years of his official life was under Cleveland's admin-
istration. While judg-e he was assig-ned to and presided over the
fourth judicial district, and during- that time was appointed one of
the commissioners of revenue by the g-overnor. In 1884, he removed
to Sioux Palls and has since resided there. After the expiration of
his judicial term in July, 1888, he commenced the practice of law in
Sioux Palls, and on the first day of January, 1889, formed a copart-
nership with P. J. Rog-de under the firm name of Palmer & Rog-de.
This copartnership continued until Pebruary, 1895, when H. C.
Preston of Mitchell was taken into the firm and the business was
conducted under the firm name of Palmer, Preston & Rog-de until
January, 1896. when Mr. Palmer retired, and is now practicing- law
bv himself. In 1891, was elected deputy commander for South Da-
kota of the Grand Army of the Republic, and the same year was ap-
pointed one of the commissioners of the Soldiers' Home. In 1893, was
appointed by the g-overnor to respond in behalf of the state, on South
Dakota day at the World's Columbian Exposition, and his address on
that occasion received warm commendations. In November, 1894,
when the Union Saving-s Association was org-anized in Sioux Palls,
he was elected its president. In 1896, was elected senator from
Minnehaha county upon a fusion ticket composed of Democrats, Pop-
ulists and Silver Republicans. Considerable comment was caused at
the time he commenced holding- terms of the district court by his
action, in accordance with the prevailing- custom in New Eng-land, of
inviting- one of the resident clerg-ymen to open each term of court
with praver, but he persisted in it to the end of his term of office.
He was an industrious, able and uprig-ht judg-e. He eng-ag-es some-
what in politics, and when he does take a part, his g-reat industry
and sagacity are felt by all parties interested; while he is a fairlv
"g-ood hater" he does not permit his principles to be sacrificed in
the punishment of his political enemies. He is now in the prime of
manhood, and being" an exceptionally strong- man every way it is not
too much to predict, that he will continue for a long- time to come to
l)e an important factor in public aifairs.

Patterson, Hibbard, was born at Harris Corner, Michig-an,
June 2, 1859. When ten years of a^e he removed with his parents
to Marshall county, Illinois, and after having- lived there two years
returned to Michig-an, and during- the next five years attended school
and worked in a shing-le mill, and then commenced to learn the print-
er's trade at Big- Rapids: in 1879 went to Hamburg-, Iowa, and was
employed upon the Hamburg- Democrat until 1881, when the pro-
prietor, being- in poor health, decided to remove to Colorado with his
newspaper plant. Everything- was packed, when news came of an
Indian uprising- in Colorado, and fearing- that the favorable climatic
conditions of that countrv mig-ht be more than offset by the Indians,
it was decided that Mr. Patterson should take the plant to Sioux
Palls. He arrived in June, and in August, 1881, commenced the



6-1-6 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



publication of the Sioux Palls Aro-us. In November the proprietor
(lied, but Mr. Patterson continued the publication of the paper until
the following- February, when it was sold. He remained in Sioux
Falls until the fall of 1889, eno-ag-ed in newspaper work; three years
of the time beintj- citv editor of the Sioux Falls Press. He then went
with Mark Scott to LaCirande, Oreg'on, and assisted him in publish-
ing- the Ladrande Journal until the spring- of 18*)0, when he returned
to Sioux Falls and was associated with Mark Scott in publishing- the
Real Estate Review for a few months; then eng-ag-ed in newspaper
work outside the state until 1894, when he returned to Sioux Falls,
and since then has been employed on the Sioux Falls Journal. Mr.
Patterson is not only a competent printer, but is a g-ood all around
newspaper man. He is president of the Federation of Labor of this
county.

Parker, Herbert E., was born at Sparta, Wisconsin, July 22,
1863; was raised on a farm, attended the district schools, and was
graduated from the hig-h school at Boscabel, Wisconsin; came to this
county in June, 1882, and located at Sioux Falls, where he has since
resided. He worked at the carpenter's trade a short time, and for a
few months was in the restaurant business; was employed as a
guard at the South Dakota penitentiary five years; worked for J. W.
Parker one year, and for Mark Randall in the oil business two years,
after which he eng-ag-ed in the same business on his own account for
the same period. He is now eng-ag-ed in the flour and feed business.
In politics he is an out and out middle-of-the-road Populist, and his
views upon finance are well known in South Dakota. He is the state
central committee man of the fusion party from this count3% and is
always actively engag-ed whenever there is a campaigfn in prog-ress —
city, county, state or national — and it is a difficult matter for an un-
reg-enerate Republican to g-et past his place of business without be-
ing" advised in regard to his duties as a citizen. He is a thoroug-hly
g-ood citizen.

Parker, Joel W., was born in Oneida county. New York,
March 28, 1817, but early in life moved to Ohio. In 1850 he settled
in Warren, Illinois, and engag-ed in the mercantile business. In
1875 went to Milltown, Wisconsin, but his health failed him, and he
removed to this county and located at Sioux Falls in 1879, where,
with his son James W. Parker and J. W. Leverett, he eng-ag-ed in
the lumber business. He had not been in Sioux Falls long- before
he endeared himself to everyone with whom he became acquainted.
He was a kind, g-enerous man, a public spirited citizen, and an
earnest advocate of such measures as would promote the welfare of
the people. He was a leading- member of the Free Will Baptist
church in Sioux Falls, and a deacon of the church at the time of his
death, which occurred on the 14th day of April, 1893. His son
Jaines W. Parker succeeded him in the lumber business, in which
he is still engag-ed.

Parliman, Edwin, came to Sioux Falls during- Ihe summer of
1877. He was born in Stark county, Ohio, December 21, 1832, and
died at Sioux Falls, June 5, 1899. His father was a physician. In




HiBBARD Patterson.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. (A9



1850, the subject of this sketch o-raduated from Alley-hruu' Colleo^e
at Meadville, Pa. When twenty-one years of a<i-e he removed to Ue-
corah, Iowa, where he learned the watchmaker's trade, and in 1854
en,o-a<»-ed in the jewelry business at that place; moved to Austin,
Minn,, in 1857, and from there to Hastino-s in the same state. Sep-
tember 30, 18()0, was admitted to the bar, and practiced law at Hast-
ing-s until he enlisted in the Second Minnesota Cavalry in 18()2. De-
cember 31, 1863, he received a commission as First Lieutenant of his
company, and May 15, 1865, was promoted to a captaincy. December
2, 1865, he was mustered out as Brevet Major. He then resumed his
law practice at Hasting-s, and remained there until he removed to
Sioux Palls. While a resident of Minnesota he held the oflice of dis-
trict attorney of Dakota county two terms. After cominjj- to Sioux
Falls he was in active practice until assuming- the office of county
judg-e in 1890. Was the first village attorney of the villag-e of Sioux
Falls, and was appointed county attorney three years by the county
board. Was elected county judg-e at the first election after South
Dakota became a state, and retained this office until he was defeated
by Bryan and free silver in 18%, holding- the office seven consecutive
vears to the g-reat satisfaction of his constituents. After leaving-
the bench he resumed the practice of law% at first in copartnership
with Harry B. Carleton, and later on with his son Ralph. Judg-e
Parliman was a g-ood lawyer and a g-ood citizen, and one of the most
g-enial men in the city of Sioux Palls. His judicial integ-rity was be-
yond question, and his death was sincerely mourned by a larg-e circle
(^f friends and acquaintances.

Parmley, Harry T., was born at Center, Rock county, Wis-
consin, Aug-ust 7, 1860, and resided there until he attained his ma-
jority. He was educated at Janesville, Wisconsin. In 1881 he came
to Sioux Palls, and since then has been the junior member of the
firm of R. G. Parmley & Brother, eng-ag-ed in handling- coal and wood.
He received two elections to the city school board, and in 1897 was
elected alderman from the Second ward. Mr. Parmley makes a g-ood
official, is a g-ood business man, and a hig-hly esteemed citizen.

Parmley, Russell G., is a native of Janesville, Wisconsin, and
was born November 13, 1851. He worked on a farm and attended
the city schools and Janesville Academy until twenty-one years of
ag-e. in March, 1878, he arrived in Sioux Palls, and at once eng-ag-ed
in the wood and coal business. In 1881, a young-er brother, Harry
T., came to Sioux Falls, and the two brothers entered into a copart-
nership under the firm name of R. G. Parmley & Brother, which co-
partnership still exists. The firm has been successful in business
and has always maintained an excellent reputation in commercial
circles. Mr.' Parmley has been on the city school board several
years and was alderman from the Third ward in 1885 and 1886. He
has been president of the Coal Dealers Association of the North-
west, and was a director and the vice president of the Union Na-
tional Bank of Sioux Palls. He is one of the most g-enial men in the
city, and althoug-h conservative, is an energ-etic, enterj)rising- citizen.



650 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Peabody, Miss Helen S., is the dauo-hter of the Rev, A. B.
Pea1)ody, for forty years a well known cler.ij-yman in the Diocese of
Milwaukee. After her preliminary education in the public schools
of Wisconsin, she took up the work of a teacher, and trained herself
in practical work. Then, at the well known St. Mary's School, Fari-
bault, Minnesota, she accomplished in three years the ordinary four
years course, and after a career of extraordinary distinction — hav-
ing- taken the "Nellie Dearborn" and the "Bishop Pinkney" o-old
medals, g-iven for scholarship in different branches — Miss Peabody
was awarded the honor of the valedictor}^ and was g-raduated in 1881.
She then took up school work in a private institution in St. Paul.
Here it was that Bishop Hare first met her several years before All
Saint school was beg-un. He at once made up his mind that if ever
he should establish a young- ladies' school he would offer to Miss
Peabody the principalship. This he according-ly did when All Saints
School was opened in September, 1885. She has remained in charg-e
as its Principal ever since, and the reputation of the school is due
chiefly to the rare union in her of the qualities which g-o to make a
successful head of an institution for the training- of the mind and
heart.

Peck, Porter Pascal, was born at Caledonia Spring-s, Canada,
A]M-il 16, 1843. His father was a native of Massachusetts, and when
the subject of this sketch was ten years old, removed from Canada to
Southport, Wisconsin. Porter worked on a farm, attending- school
but a small portion of the time, until he was eig-hteen years of ag-e,
when he enlisted (in April, 1861) for ninety days in the Geneva Lig-ht
(luards, and served in the 4th Wis. Infantry. Immediately after his
term of service had expired, he enlisted in Co. K, 2d Wis. Cavalry
for three years, and re-enlisted in the same company and regfiment
in the fall of 1863 and served until the fall of 1865. This was
one of the best cavalry reg-iments in the service during- the war,
and was under the command of all the noted cavalry leaders, except
(General Pleasanton. At the close of the war it was under General
Custer. Mr. Peck was never seriously wounded, and was never
taken prisoner. He was 1st Lieutenant of his company at the time
of his discharg-e. Soon after the war he went to Iowa, and engfag-ed
in the livery business and farming-. In 1872 he visited Sioux Falls,
and then determined to remove to Dakota. Early in 1873 he came to
Sioux Falls and at once eng-ag-ed in the livery business. He broug-ht
the first two-seated, covered carriag-e into the state, as well as the
first omnibus, and broug-ht the first landau to Sioux Falls. Peck &
Grig-sby erected the building- on Phillips avenue opposite the Cataract
house in 1878, and the first pressed brick, raetalic cornice and plate
glass used in the city of Sioux Falls, were used in its construction.
Mr. Peck has done a g-ood deal of building- in the city, having- erected
more building-s than any other man, except C. K. Howard. He has
also done his share in farming-, having- broken 1,400 acres of prairie
land contig-uous to the city. He is a man of g-reat energ-y and force,
and has been identified with nearly all the public enterprises of the
city. While in Iowa he was deputy sheriff several years, and after
coming- to Sioux Falls was constable several years. The Dakota




Miss Helen S. Peabody.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 653



National Bank was oro-anized throuo-h his and Mr. CTrri^-sl)\'s ciTorts,
and he Avas its lirst cashier. He was director and vice president of
the Minnehaha National Bank at the time of the death of its president,
J.M. Bailey, Jr., was subsequently elected president and held this office
untilJune, 1898. He has also been prominent in city matters, servino-
as alderman and treasurer, and has received two elections as mayor.
No one will claim that Sioux Palls ever had a resident of greater
activity and energy than Porter P. Peck. He "never sent a boy to
mill." As a "singde-hand talker" he stands in the front rank, and
the lang-uao-e that he makes use of on extra occasions, althoug-h some-
times unique, is always explicit and full of meanings. His adminis-
tration as mayor of the city of Sioux Palls, was beset with difficulties,
owing- in part to the g-reat desire of some of the g-ood people that
public enterprises should be pushed, while others wanted to "g-o
slow." Ag"iin, the enforcement and non-enforcement of the prohib-
itory law, had been zealously championed by friends and foes of the
measure, and he had this disag-reement to contend with. But he has
never been found on the fence. He is always, rig-ht or wrong;, on the
g-round hg-hting it out. At his first election to the mayoralty he de-
feated Capt. Willey, and at the second the Rev. E. B. Meredith,
which alone makes full proof that he has a host of friends among- the
l)eople who know him best. Still in the prime of life, with unabated
zeal and enterprise, it can safely be predicted that he will for a long
time to come, be an important factor in public affairs.

Pendar, Oliver S., was born in Salem, Massachusetts, Sep-
tember 29, 1857. During- his youth he attended the common schools
and g-raduated from the hig-h school of his native city. When twenty
years of age went to Minneapolis, where he remained one year. In

1878 came to Dakota and took up a homestead in McCook county. In

1879 a post office was established where the city of Salem is now lo-
cated, and Mr. Pendar was appointed its first postmaster. He gave
the name of Salem to the post office, and when the town was platted
the same name was adopted for the town. In addition to his duties
as postmaster he engaged in the mercantile business from 1879 to
188(), at which time he went into the real estate and loan business,
which he continued until 1890, when he removed to Sioux Palls. On
the 30th day of January, 1890, he was appointed clerk of the United
States district court for the district of South Dakota by Judge
Edgerton, and on the 17th day of June following, was appointed clerk
of the United States circuit court for the same district by Judge
Caldwell, which office he still holds. The clerkship of the district
court he held until October, 1891, and was again appointed to that
office by Judge Garland on the 2()th day of December, 1896, and is at
this writing- the clerk of both the United States district and circuit
courts. Mr. Pender is a genial good fellow, well liked by everybody,
and is a competent official.

Perry, (tEORcje H., was Ix^rn in Oneida county, N. V., Febru-
ary 11, 1850; came to Beloit, Wis., in 1869 and entered Prof. Kerr's
high school, where he was a student two years; then went to Sibley,
Iowa, and during the next four years teaching school was his prin-



654 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



cipal employment; in 1876 went into the livery business, and in 1878
added that of real estate; in February, 1880, took his livery to Heron
Lake, Minn., where he also conducted a real estate business; in 1882
removed to Woodstock, Minn., and took charg-e of the land and lum-
ber business of Sampson & French. In March, 1892, came to Sioux
Falls, and was the manag-er of the East Sioux Falls Granite com-
pany until 1894, when he was elected president of the Iowa Invest-
ment company, and is now closing- up its affairs. In 1896 he org-an-
ized the East Sioux Falls Quarry company, and is its secretary and
manag-er. Mr. Perr}^ is a g-ood business man, energ-etic and enter-
prising-, and is an esteemed citizen.

Peterson, Andrew, was born in Norway, March 3, 1833; at-
tended the common schools, and studied three years in the hig-h
school at the city of Hammar, from which he g-raduated; was super-
intendent for an Eng-lish mining- company for three years; eng-ag-ed
in the mercantile business for the same leng-th of time, when he sold
out to his brother and eng-ag-ed in farming-, which occupation he fol-
lowed for eig-ht years; was timber marker for a larg-e timber ship-
ping- company two years, and in 1866 emig-rated to America. He
landed in Quebec, Canada, but went throug-h to Chicag-o, where he
remained employed in one of the larg-est door and sash factories for
two years; then went farther west, and lived in Sioux City, Iowa, for
awhile; then to Fort Sully in Dakota, where he was employed b}- the
g-overnment as superintendent of the carpenters and builders for
three years. Once during- that time they w^ere visited by such num-
erous swarms of g-rasshoppers that the men working- on the roofs of
the building-s were oblig-ed to abandon their work, as the g-rasshop-
pers were so thick as to prevent them from driving- the nails in the
boards. In the spring- of 1872 Mr. Peterson came to Sioux Falls and
eng-ag-ed as a carpenter and builder; he also secured a quarter section
of land, which he afterwards sold. In the spring- of 1874 he eng-ag-ed
in the furniture and carpenter business with O. P. Weston, and thev
continued in business tog-ether until in 1880, when Mr. Weston sold
his interest to Mr. Peterson, w^ho continued the business alone for
several years; he then eng-ag-ed in farming- for a number of years
near Madison in Eake county, but in 1890, after having- spent a short
time in California, returned to Sioux Falls, where he has since re-
sided. He was one of the trustees of the villag-e of Sioux Falls in
1880 and 1881, and coroner of the county for two terms. Mr. Peter-
son is a g-ood citizen, and has a host of friends.

Peterson, George R., was born in the villag-e of Trenton, On-
tario, Canada, May 21, 1846. He attended the common schools, and
g-raduated from the Newberg- Academy. From the time he was six-
teen years of ag-e until he was eig-hteen, he was employed upon the
lakes. His father was a civil eng'ineer, and for awhile he studied
with him. In 1864 he removed with his parents to Wabasha county,
Minnesota, and eng-agfed in farming- until 1878. In September of
that year, he came to Sioux Falls, and very soon after opened a meat
market on Ninth street, and in company with his brother Blake car-
ried on the business, tog-ether with the shipping- of live stock, for




Porter P. Peck.




Col. Melvin Grigsby.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNT Y". 659



nine years, under the iirm name of Peterson Bros. At the end of
that time they sold out the meat market, and have since eno-ao-ed in
farmino-, shipping- live stock, and buying- g-rain. They built elevators
at Shindler, Granite and Ellis, and also have an elevator at Sioux
Palls. Mr. Peterson is an enterprising- business man, a good citizen
every way, and well liked by a larg-e circle of acquaintances,

Peterson, Joseph Blake, was born in the villag-e of Trenton,
()ntari(), Canada, on the 14th dax of December. bS4S, and removed
with liis parents to Wabasha county, Minnesota, in 1S()4. Heat-
tended school until sixteen years old, completing- liis education at
Lake City, Minnesota. He then eng-ag-ed in farming- until 1S75, when
he opened a meat market in Lake City, and remained there until he
removed to Sioux Palls in November, 1878, and formed a copartner-
ship with his brother Georg-e R., under the iirm name of Peterson
Bros. This firm is still doing- business as appears in the biog-raph-
ical sketch of his brother. The firm is well and favorably known in
Inisiness circles. Blake Peterson, as he is called, is a man of energfv
and enterprise, is a g-ood citizen, and, like his brother, has no aspi-
ration for office.

Pp:ters()N, Henry, is a native of Denmark, and was born Au-
gust 1, 1858. His father was a captain in the army, and was killed
in the war between Denmark and Germany in 1864. In 1870 he emi-
g-rated with his mother to the United States, and located at A^ermil-
lion, Dakota, where he worked on a farm. In October, 187*), he came
to Sioux Palls, where he has since resided. He worked on the Oueen
Bee mill during its construction, and then in the mill, in all about
three years. Was foreman under H. M. Stearns during- the con-
struction of the polishing- works. In 188V) was appointed g-uard at
the penitentiary for six months, and then superintendent of the
stone works until appointed deput}- warden, which position he held
seven years, ending- June 1, 1899. Mr. Peterson is an energ-etic citi-
zen, active in politics, and well liked hv a larg-e circle of ac(|uain-
tances.

Pettenchll, Captaix. Andrew J., was born at Portland.
Maine, May (>, 1829. lu his early youth he attended the public
schools, but at the ag'e of twelve years went to sea, and for fortx-
four years was a sailor. In 1850, when only twenty-one years of
ag-e, he became master of a ship, and during- the succeeding- thirtx-
hve years he was eng-ag-ed in the European, South American, East
India, and California trade. During- all this time he was captain of
the ship in which he sailed. In speaking- of Manila where he has
])een several times he said, "it is a fine city, the climate is g-ood; the
Phillipine Islands have great possibilities; their development in the
next ten years will be wonderful; if I was young- I would go there."
In 1885, he was half owner of a ship, but having acquired consider-
able property, he concluded to spend the remainder of his life upon
land, and sold his interest in the ship and settled down in Portland,
which had always been his home. But it was impossible for him to
lead a quiet life. In 1890, he was induced to come to Sioux Palls and
take an interest in the stock yard project. He invested largely in



660 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



the enterprise and became the superintendent of the construction of
the buildino-s. After the company had become financially embar-
rassed he reorg-anized it in order to push the enterprise to comple-
tion. He is a man of g-reat activity and energ-y, and an honest, up-
right, public-spirited citizen.

Pettigrew, Richard Franklin, was born at Ludlow, Ver-
mont, July 23, 1848; came to Dane county, Wisconsin, with his par-
ents in 1854, where they remained a few months and then located on
a farm in Union, Rock county. When sixteen years of age he en-
tered Beloit college where he remained two years; in 1866 went to
Iowa, studied law. and taught one term of school; in the spring of
1867 entered the law school at the state university at Madison, Wis-
consin. His father died in December, 1867. and during the next
vear — his elder brother having left home — he carried on the farm
and cared for the family. The winter of 1868-9 he taught school,
and during the spring of 1869 hired out as chainman to a party hav-
ing a surve3-ing contract in Dakota, and immediately came to Sioux
Falls, and during the spring and summer was engaged in surveying
in Minnehaha, Moody and Brookings counties. After acting in the



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 62 of 99)