Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 65 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 65 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ter of 1887-8 in Texas he returned to Sioux Palls and opened a rt-al
estate office and participated in the real estate boom which com-
menced about that time, and like all participators he learned that
real estate booms originate from no known cause, and depart for less
tang-ible reasons than they come. He was elected alderman from the
Third ward in 1895, and re-elected in 1897. He has been city editor
of the Sioux Palls Press both under the former and present manage-
ment. As will be seen Mr. Scott has been a frontier man, and there
are a good many stories afloat of his exploits and adventures, but
none of them mark him as a timid man. He is an enterprising, in-
dependent citizen, progressive and aggressive in municipal matters,
a good neighbor, and has a host of friends.

Scott, Rev. Darius B., the subject of this sketch was l^orn at
Bloomheld, N. Y., October 27, 1843. His father was born in Con-
necticut, and his mother, a native of Vermont, was a granddaughter
of the Hon. Darius Bullock. They moved to New York soon after
their marriage, and subsequently to Kentucky, where the father
taught school for four years. During this time Mr. Scott, then a
small lad, saw enough of the cruelties of slavery to incite in him
great hostility to the institution. Prom Kentucky he went with his
parents to Illinois, where he was living when the war broke out in
1861. He was anxious to enlist in the military service at once, but
was prevented by his parents, w^ho needed his services at home. In
1864, however, he enlisted in the 17th Illinois cavalry. While in the
army, he resolved that if he was spared, he would devote himself to
the ministry, believing that in so doing he could best serve God and
humanity. In the fall of 1865 he entered Wheaton college, where he
remained four years. After this he took a theological course at
Andover, Massachusetts, for three years. Upon receiving his ordi-
nation to the Congregational ministry he was settled over a church
at Lynnfield, Massachusetts. Subsequently he became pastor of
churches at Hollis, New Hampshire, and Clinton, Massachusetts.
After twenty vears of hard labor in the ministry, he became satis-
fied that, owing to an impaired constitution resulting from army life,
he would have to leave his calling, or seek work in a more invigor-
ating climate. Receiving a call from the Pirst Congregational
church of Sioux Palls during the summer of 1892, he accepted it
September 1, and brought his family to the city the 1st of Novemlier
following, where he has since resided as pastor of the church. His
installation took place December 22, 1896.

Mr. Scott since his residence in Sioux Palls, has not onl\ en-
deared himself to his parishioners, but is highly respected by all who
have the pleasure of his acquaintance. Diligent and conscientious
in the performance of his pastoral duties, active in forwarding all
commendable enterprises for the advancement of society, a strong,
forceful and fearless preacher, united with high social qualitit^s. .-ir.-
the prominent characteristics of the man.



688 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Scott, Delos A., was born in Erie county, New York, March
23, 1846; was reared on a farm, and received an academic education;
enu-aofed in farmino- until thirty years of ag-e; and then eno^ao-ed in
the drug- business for two years at Rockford, Iowa. For the last
twenty years he has been in the real estate business, and during- all
this time has been handling- real estate in South Dakota. Came to
Sioux Falls in June, 1893, where he has since resided, and has made
himself known as a g-ood business man and a g-ood citizen.

Scott, Mark D., was born in Wisconsin, April 7, 1866. He
attended the common schools and commenced work in a printing-
office before he was ten years of ag-e. In 1878 he w^ent wdth his par-
ents to Deadwood, S. D., where he became a newspaper carrier and
also the proprietor of some newspaper routes. In 1883, he came to
Sioux Falls and eng-aged in printingf-office work, and in 1885, in con-
nection with Hibbard Patterson, did the mechanical work on the
Argus for six months. During- 1886 he was advertising- solicitor for
the Rapid City Daily Republican, and worked on the Lead City
Tribune for six months. In 1888 he went to Burke, Idaho, and
started the first newspaper at that place, but sold out the plant after
six months. He then went to LeGrande, Oreg-on, where he and Mr.
Patterson started a newspaper which they sold in March, 1890. Mr.
Scott remained at that place eng-ag-ed in business until 1892, when he
returned to Sioux Falls, and on January 1, 1893, became the city
editor of the Sioux Falls Daily Press, and remained as such until
August, 1894, at which time he became, and still is, the proprietor
and editor of the Sioux Falls Journal. During- the presidential cam-
paign in 1896 Mr. Scott issued a dailv paper called the Daily Journal.
There were sixty-two issues of this paper, and every one of them
was filled with what newspaper men call "hot stuff." It was pub-
lished in the interest of Bryan and his adherents in South Dakota,
but when it had become settled that McKinley was elected, the dailv
issue was discontinued. Mr. Scott is a g-reat newsgatherer, and
always has something- to say upon the issues before the people. He
is strictly in the newspaper business, and is an earnest advocate of
economy in public affairs.

Sexton, Thomas W., was born at Davenport, Iowa, Aug-ust 14,
18()1; moved with his parents to Minnesota in 1869, and lived on a
farm until 1875. At that time they removed to Red Wing-, in the
same state, and remained there four years. In 1879 he came to Sioux
Falls, but remained only a short time, and then eng-ag-ed in the hotel
business with his parents at Cameron, Marion Junction and Bridg-e-
water. In 1886 he went to Kansas and remained a year and then
came to Sioux Falls in May, 1888, and went into the real estate busi-
ness, in which he has since continued. Mr. Sexton is an active, en-
ergetic business man, and an enterprising, esteemed citizen.

Shakstad, Erick, is a native of Norway, and was born October
3, 1855, was reared on a farm and attended the public school; emi-
grated to the United States in 1880, and settled in Chatfield, Minn.,
where he remained until he removed to Sioux Falls, where he arrived
on the 1st day of September, 1881. He worked at his trade that of




Rev. Dakius B. Scott.




Mark D. Scott.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. ()<)3



carpenter and joiner, and was a contractor and huildcr for soxei-al
years in the city, then went to Pierre for two years, hut returned to
Sioux Palls, and durino- the last ten years has owned and ojierated a
])lanino- mill. Mr. Shakstad is a very industrious, successful husi-
ness man, well liked as a neig-hbor, and is an esteemed citizen.

Sheppard, William James, was horn at Quebec, Canada, Julv
24, 1862. His father was one of the oldest settlers of Quebec, and
held prominent offices in the Canadian o-overnment for over twenty-
two years. The subject of this sketch received a colleg-iate educa-
tion at Ottawa. In 1879 he came to the United States, and entered
the Second National Bank of Detroit, Michig-an, where he remained
until in 1883, when his father died, and he returned to Canada. Sub-
sequently he went into the auditor's office of the American Express
Co. at Montreal, where he remained about a year, and then was book-
keeper for the Woods Manufacturing- Co. until the outbreak of the
Riel Rebellion, when he went out with the Winnipeg- Field Batterv,
of which he was a member, and served throug-h the campaig-n of 1885.
He was in the famous battles at Pish Creek and Batoche, and re-
ceived with all those participating- in these battles, as a mark of dis-
tinction a silver medal from the Oueen. After the close of the re-
l^ellion went to St. Paul, and became traveling- salesman for the Ber-
risford Biscuit Manufacturing- Co. He remained with this companv
seven years, and then entered the service of McKibbin & Co. of St.
Paul, in the same capacity, where he still remains. He is also inter-
ested in farming-, and is the owner of a fine 480-acre farm in McCook
county. South Dakota, besides having- some city property in Minne-
apolis, Minnesota. In 1888 he was married to Miss Caroline Harder
of W^innipeg", daug-hter of William Harder, g-eneral traffic manag-er of
the Canadian Pacific railroad. In 18% located at Sioux Palls, where
he has since resided. In September of that year he, with four
others, instituted a Council of the Order of United Commercial
Travelers in Sioux Palls, which was the first instituted in South
Dakota, and is called Sioux Palls Council No. 100. He was made its
first Past Councilor; is one of the executive committee, and was also
elected on the same committee of the (xrand Council of Minnesota
and the two Dakotas. Mr. Sheppard is a g-entleman of hig-h social
attainments, a prog-ressive and wide-awake business man. and an
esteemed citizen.

Sherman, Edwin A., was born June 10, 1844, in Massachusetts.
His early years were spent at school, and at the ag-e of sixteen he
graduated from the hig-h school. The next four years he carried on
a farm. In his twenty-first year he went to Boston and eng-ag-ed in
clerking: for a commission oil house. Two years later he became a
partner in the business under the firm name of Capen, Sherman &
Co. Pour years later, his health failing-, he retired from the firm
and went West. During- the first winter in the West he taug-ht school
in Sioux City. In June, 1873, he came to Sioux Palls, where he has
since resided. His first business transaction was to purchase a half
interest in The Independent, a newspaper published by C. W. Mc-
Donald. He was eng-ag-ed in newspaper work for one year and a



694 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



half, when he sold his interest to T. J. White. In 1874-6 he was
county superintendent of schools, and organized durino- that time a
laro-e "number of school districts. Since his arrival in Sioux Falls,
he has been one of the most active, enterprising- and successful bus-
iness men of the city. He built the hrst brick buildino- in the cit\-
in 1875, and is the third building- on Phillips avenue south of the Ed-
mison- Jameson block. John Bippus was then postmaster, and the
post office was located on Phillips avenue north, and Mr. Sherman
put up this building with the understanding- that Mr. Bippus would
move the post office into it when completed, which arrangement was
carried out. In 1877 he bought what is now the Cascade Milling
property. It comprised five acres of ground. In this enterprise
Isaac Emerson and J. G. Botsford were associated with him, and
built the stone dam and the Cascade mill. Botsford afterwards sold
his interest to George E. Wheeler. In 1887 the electric light works
were added to their business, and the Cascade Milling Company was
incorporated with a capital of Sl50,000, but the ownership of this
property is practically unchanged. This manufacturing establish-
ment has been in operation nearly twenty-three years, and has been
prosperous from the beginning, in fact, in this respect it challenges
comparison with any manufacturing establishment in the state. Mr.
Sherman has engaged quite extensively in the building" of residences,
as well as business blocks. In 1878, he built a stone building* on the
southeast corner of Main avenue and Ninth street and he also built
all the buildings east to the alley on Ninth street, and all the build-
ing's south on Main avenue, except the Schaetzel building at the
south end. The stone building was rented to the county for the county
officials and a court room, before it was built. In 1883 he erected the
building occupied as a post office until the 18th day of May, 1895, and
this was also built for the use of the countv. The Cascade block was
built by him, and also the Union Trust Company block; and a few
years ago he built a very fine and attractive residence on block one,
Sherman's addition to Sioux Palls. He was instrumental in procur-
ing the location of the Deaf Mute school at Sioux Palls, engineering-
the bill through the legislature; and gave to the institution five acres
of land, the same on which it is now located. He was one of the first
trustees of this institution and president of the board. He organ-
ized the Minnehaha National Bank in 188(5, and was its president two
years. In 1887 he organized the Union Trust Company, and in 1888
resigned the presidency of the Minnehaha National Bank to conduct
the business of the Union Trust Company, which soon after trans-
ferred its banking business to the Union National Bank, of both of
which companies he was at all times the president. In 1887 he be-
came associated with John M. Spicer of Willmar, under the direction
of James J. Hill of the Great Northern railway line, to build the
Willmar & Sioux Palls railroad. Together they located, named and
platted all the towns along this line, a distance of 149 miles. He has
a large interest in the Willmar & Sioux Palls Townsite Co., incor-
porated. Although engrossed in such extensive business transac-
tions as his record shows, he has found time to perform such official
duties as have been assigned him by the people. He was territorial




E. A. Sherman,



I




W. J. Shkppakd.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNT V. (>9<)



treasurer in 1877-8, and territorial auditor in 1S7*)-S(I, and was Irn-
dered the same oflice in 1881, which he declined. When Sioux Falls
became incorporated as a villao-e he was elected one of its (irst trus-
tees, and was frequently on the sdiool board. He has also served as
l)resident of the Commercial Cluff* The success of his business en-
terprises, his fidelity to official duties, his constant zeal in ju-omotinL;-
the o-rowth of the city, stamp him as one of the most successful and
reliable men in the state.

Sherman, Paul F., was born in Houlton, Maine. Mav 7, 1855.
He went with his parents to Minneapolis, Minn., in 18()(), and from
there to Shakopee in the same state. He was reared on a farm, and
received a common school education; was clerk in a store, and for
some time conducted a business of his own. On the 21st day of No-
vember, 1877, he^arrived in Sioux Palls, and within ten days took up
a timber claim m Humboldt, and a homestead in Hartford, this
county, and engag-ed in farming- for several years; in 1887, went into
the agricultural implement business at Jasper, Minn.; in 1893, came
to Sioux Palls to locate, but retained his business at Jasper. He is
a member of the firm of Sherman Bros. & Bratag-er, and since locat-
ing- at Sioux Palls this firm has built the largest agricultural imple-
ment warehouse in the^tate. Mr. Sherman is an energ-etic, success-
ful business man, has a host of friends, and is a respected citizen.

Sherrard, William B., is a native of Ireland and \\as l)()rn
June 8, 1837. Attended school and worked on a farm until nineteen
years old, and then engaged in the dry g-oods business; in 1864, emi-
g-rated to the United States; lived a few months in New York, and
then went to Chicago where he remained about fifteen years. Dur-
ing that time he clerked in a store two years, and then commenced the
work of founding- a home for newsbovs and l^ootblacks, and labored
in their interest w^hile he remained in Chicago. In 1879, he went to
Kansas and engaged in stock raising until 1889, when he removed to
Clark county, this state, and until 1893, was eng-ag-ed in merchandis-
ing- and the shipping of stock. In January, 1893, he came to Sioux
Palls, and since then has devoted his time to caring for friendless
children, and has been the manager of the Children's Home at Sioux
Palls since it was established. Mr. Sherrard is a man of tireless en-
ergy, and devoted to his work. Of course, he has been maligned,
and a man of less courage would have abandoned his good work long-
before this, but it has only served to make him the more zealous and
determined to secure for this institution the respect and hearty su im-
port of the people of South Dakota. It is sufficient, to assert that a
large majority of the people of the state are heartily in sympathy
with Mr. Sherrard and his work, to establish the fact that he is a
good man and a good citizen.

Shotwell, Ezra M., was born in Washington county, Ohio,
October 28, 1845, and w^orked on a farm until twenty years of age,
when he engaged in business. In 1869, he came to Iowa and engaged
in the produce business, and remained in that state until August,
1879, when he removed to the city of Sioux Palls, and engag^-ed
in the coal business for five years, and then in the ice busi-



700 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



ness for four 3'ears. Since then he has been eng-ao-ed in shipping-
stock, when not acting- as street commissioner. While a resident of
Iowa he served as alderman four years in the city of Perry, and has
served in the same capacity two years in Sioux Palls. He was street
commissioner of the city in 1894 and 1895, during- the administration
of Mavor Williams, and was ag-ain appointed to the same ofHce by
Ma3'or Lien in Mav, 1898. He is an enterprising-, energ-etic citizen,
and makes a g-ood official.

Simpson, James, is a native of Milford, Oakland county, Michi-
g-an, and was born on the 21st day of January, 1855. He worked on
his father's farm during- his youth, and did not attend school until
fourteen years of ag-e, when he went to Flint, Michig-an, w^here he re-
mained in a school for the education of deaf-mutes for five full terms,
having- been born deaf. From Flint he went to a similar institution
in New York city, where he took a three years course in two years,
and was selected valedictorian of his class, g-raduating- at the ag-e of
twent3'-one years. He then learned the jeweler's trade, and worked
at this business for about four years and a half, and then eng-ag-ed in
farming- in Michig-an. In 1878 he went to Council Bluffs as a teacher,
and remained there in that capacity three years — the last year having-
in charg-e the hig-hest class. The following- year nine students from
the Iowa school were admitted to the National Deaf Mute Colleg-e at
Washing-ton, D. C, eig'ht of them having- been Professor Simpson's
pupils. In June, 1881, he came to Sioux Falls to visit E. G. Wrig-ht,
and was pleased with the prospects of the Deaf Mute school which
had been established the year previous and he at once became con-
nected with the school and assumed its manag-ement, w^hich he has
since retained. Professor Simpson is not onlv^ a successful teacher
in. his line, but is an all around man and hig-hly respected as a busi-
ness man and citizen. The writer, while at Bismarck attending- a
session of the leg-islature in 1887, was more than pleased with the
ability displayed by the professor, who was there to procure an ap-
propriation for his school. He endeavored to obtain the appropria-
tion he desired without making- any combination with other state in-
stitutions, and he persisted in his purpose until the band wag-on was
nearly out of sig-ht and his appropriation liable to be lost in the shuf-
fle, when, with the celerity of a veteran in politics, he mounted the seat
with the driver. In July, 1880, he married Miss A. L. Simpson, who
came to Sioux Falls with him, and who has been of g-reat assistance
in the conduct of the school. Mrs. Simpson is an estimable ladv, and
three brig-ht boj^s gladden the hearts of their parents.

Skillman, William J., w-as born April 19, 1838, in Somerset
county. New Jerse\-, six miles from Princeton on the old post road
from New York to Philadelphia, that regfion being- one where his an-
cestors had lived and died for nearly 200 years. He obtained his
early education in the country schools in the neighborhood. Later
he was a student at the venerable Grammar school at New Bruns-
wick, New Jersey, and from there entered the sophomore class of
Rutg-er college, then under President Frelinghueysen, where he was
graduated in 1860. The same year he entered the Theological semi-




p. F. Sherman.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY 703



nary of the Reformed church at New Brunswick, whence he was
o-raduated in 1863. The autumn followino- he was called to take
charo-e of the Reformed church of Macon, Lenawee county, Mivhi-
oan, where he remained for over five years, serving- also part of the
time the Cong-reo-ational (afterwards Presbyterian; church of Raisin.
In 1868, he removed to South Bend, Indiana, and was pastor of the
Reformed church of that city for nearly five years, removing- from
there in 1872, to the Hudson Valley, and took charg-e of the old First
Reformed cfiurch of Bethlehem, immediatelv below the city of Al-
bany on the river, where he remained for eleven vears. In 1883 he
came to Sioux Palls, where he org-anized the Presbyterian church,
which he served for one year; then supplied for nearly two years al-
ternately the Presbyterian churches of Dell Rapids and Flandreau;
was acting- professor of Greek and Engflish literature in the North-
western academy at Orang-e City, Iowa, for a few months; and in the
opening of 1886 took full charg-e of the First Reformed church of
Sioux Falls, where he remained until in June, 1894, when he removed
to Philadelphia, having- accepted the pastorate over a larg-e congreg-a-
tion at that city. Mr. Skillman took the reg-ular academic deg-rees of
A. B. and A. M., in course — because he couldn't help it — but has
never sought or desired any other. All his life he has been a writer
for the press, being a correspondent of such papers as the New York
Evening Post, The Nation, Christian at Work, Christian Intelli-
gencer, Christian Union, besides various literary, scientific and theo-
log-ical periodicals and reviews. For nearly four years of the time
he resided in Sioux Falls, he was in editorial charge of the Sioux
Falls Journal, and its editorial columns from its first page to its last
issue Avhile under his control fairly bristled with the sharp, incisive
arraignment of the follies of the day. He believed in prohibition and
in the enforcement of the laws for the suppression of the sale (^f in-
toxicating liquors, and while he resided in Sioux Falls if he left any-
thing- undone that he could possibly do to stamp out the saloons, it
does not occur to the writer. His scholastic acquirements were not
limited to theology but embraced a thorough knowledge of all the im-
portant topics of the time. He hated vice and all its accompani-
ments; despised all pretense and hypocrisy; loathed all such persons
as pretended to be for the right and did not have the moral courage
to fight for their convictions; was possessed of good health, a combat-
ive temperament, a well disciplined, analytical mind, and was a mas-
ter of invectives; and still people wondered why the editorial fraternity
in South Dakota let him so severely alone. He was true to his con-
victions and fought desperately to maintain them. His departure
])roug-ht relief in certain quarters, but it must be acknowledged that
the ministerial association of the city lost one of its strongest su]>
ports, and the city one of its most independent and fearless citizens.
Smith, Edgar L., was born at Cabot, Washington county, Ver-
mont, April 10, 1850. He was educated in the public schools, and
worked on a farm until twenty-one years old. He then engaged in
manufacturing lumber at Marshfield, in his native county, until 1884.
During that time he was town clerk twelve years, and superintend-
ent of "schools several vears. On the 31st dav of October, 1884, he



704 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY,



came to Sioux Falls, where he has since resided, and was for several
years eng-aofed in the coal and wood business. He has contributed
iarg-ely to the appearance of Phillips avenue by the erection of two
brick business building-s with stone fronts. He is a thoroug-hlyg'ood
business man and a j>-ood citizen.

Smith, Elgin B., is a native of Canada, and was born November
17, 1851. Durino- his early youth he worked on a farm and attended
school. In 1871 he went to Cherokee, Iowa, and eng-ag-ed in farming-
for about three years, and then boug-ht out a furniture store. Prom
that time to the present writing- he has been in the furniture busi-
ness. During- the spring- of 1884 he removed to Sioux Palls and com-
menced business in the Leader block, where he has since remained.
He has always carried an extensive stock of g-oodsand is a g-ood busi-
ness man. He is well liked as a business man and neig'hbor, and is
a good citizen.

SoLEM, Rev. Henrik M., was born in the province of Sondfjord,



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 65 of 99)