Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 66 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 66 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Norway, June 21, 1862- His parents, emig-rated to the United States
in 1870, and located in Union county, Dakota, where the subject of
this sketch received his early education in the common schools. In
the spring- of 1887 he was graduated from the Augfustana college at
Canton; in 1890 was graduated from the Aug-ustana Theological
Seminary at Beloit, Iowa; the following year attended the Aug-sburg
Seminarv of the United Lutheran church in Minneapolis, where he
took a final theological examination in 1891, and was ordained min-
ister in June of that year at Kenyon, Minn. He then began work as
pastor in the inner mission on the Sioux reservation, which he con-
tinued for five years. In 1896 he received a call from the United
Lutheran church at Sioux Palls, which he accepted, and has since
remained the able pastor of that church. He is a faithful Christian
w^orker, and g-reatly beloved by his cong-regation.

Soule, Ira T., was born in New York, November 14, 1848, and
attended school and worked on a farm until he was twenty-one 3'ears
old. He then engaged in farming on his own account, residing sev-
eral years in Lake county, Illinois. On the 27th day of December,
1875, he arrived in Delapre township, Lincoln county, where he en-
gaged in farming until 1890, when he removed to Sioux Palls and
opened a livery and feed stable. While in Lincoln county he held
township offices, and since he became a resident of Sioux Palls has
been street commissioner two years, and in 1899 was elected alder-
man from the Sixth ward. He is a good citizen, and well liked.

Stanfield, John A., a few days after the 23d of February,
1S4(), a little boy in the State of New York was named John A. Stan-
field. After he was grown up to manhood he resided for awhile in
Minnesota and came to Dell Rapids in the fall of 1883, where he filled
the position of station agent for the Milwaukee Railway company.
In 1889 he removed to Sioux Palls to perform the duties of auditor of
Minnehaha county, to which office he had been elected at the general
election in 1888. He was re-elected in 1890, and again in 1892, at
which time he was nominated by the Independent party, and was
elected by a plurality of three hundred and eighty-six. Only one

J. A. Stanfieli).


other of the nominees of that party was successful. Mr. Stanhehl
was the great vote-o-etter of that campaio-n. In 18*)4 the Democratic
and Independent parties in Minnehaha county united upon a county
ticket, and Mr. Stantield received the nomination for treasurer, hut
it was a Republican year and he was defeated. In March, 1805, his
term ()f office expired, and since then he has resided onlv a part of
the time in the state. Mr. Stanfield made a competent official.

Stern, Alexander, is a native of Germany, and was Ix.rn No-
vember 5, 1851. When about fourteen years of a^-e he entered as an
apprentice in a cloth house, where he remained three vears, and then
was employed in a broker's office. In 1870 he came to the United
States, and lived a few months in Ohio, but engatfed as clerk in a
store the same year at Neenah, Wisconsin, where he remained about
one year and a half. He then went to Waupaca, in the same state,
and entered a store as clerk, but soon after boug-ht an interest in the
])usiness. In 1876 he sold out and went to Yankton, S. D., where he
was eng-au-ed for six years as clerk in a store. In the spring- of 1882,
he came to Sioux Palls, and took charge of a store for a firm whose
principal place of business was at Council Bluffs, Iowa. In 1884. lu-
married Miss Augusta Blum of Sioux Falls. In 1885 he went t..
Pipestone, Minnesota, and engaged in Inisiness until 18')(), when lu-
returned to Sioux Palls and engaged in the clothing business. In
18*)4the firm of Buxbaum & Stern was formed, and they have now
one of the largest clothing establishments in the city. Mr. Stern i^
a good fellow socially, a good business man, and a good citizen.

Stevenson, Thomas Young, was born May 25, 185">. at St.
Charles, Minnesota; was reared on a farm and educated in the dis-
trict and high schools; studied medicine and was graduated from the
Bennett Medical College of Chicago in 1885; practiced medicine at
Pulda, Minnesota, and at Wentworth, South Dakota, about seven
vears; came to Sioux Palls in 1891, where he has since been practic-
ing medicine; was county physician in 1895-6; in 1897 was graduated
from the Harvey Medical College. Dr. Stevenson belongs to the
Masons, Odd Pellows, and A. O. U. W., and takes a lively interest
in public affairs, as well as attending carefully to his large practice.

Stevenson, Romeo R., brother of Thomas, was born at St.
Charles, Minnesota, July 16, 1865. He studied medicine and was
graduated from the Northwestern University of Chicago in 1893.
He is now located at Sioux Palls, and makes a specialty of diseases of
the eye, ear, nose and throat. He has been abroad twice since com-
ing to Sioux Palls, and has taken post-graduate courses in London,
(lermany, Norway and Sweden. He has already established a repu-
tation as a skillful physician in his line of practice.

Stickney, Moses A., was born in Athens, Windham county,
Vermont, on the 10th day of November, 1846, and was reared on a
farm. After he became of age he went to Minneapolis, Minnesota,
and entered a commercial college, where he graduated. He then
learned the miller's trade, and for seventeen years worked at the
same in Minnesota and Dakota. In August, 1877, he came to Sioux
Palls and eno-ao-ed in millinir in the Webber & Shaw mill until that


concern was swept away by the hio-h water of April, 1881. He w^as
employed at the Queen Bee mill from its start, and when that stopped
doino- "business Mr. Stickney's millino- career was at an end, except
to go to Minnesota for a few^ months to start up a new mill. When
L. D. Henry removed from Sioux Palls he purchased his real estate
and loan business in which he still continues. He was appointed
citv justice to till the vacancy created by the resig-nation of Mr.
Henrv, and held the office for five years and a half; was assessor of
the city of Sioux Falls in 188() and 1887. Mr. Stickney is a g-ood
neighbor, an honest man and an exemplary citizen.

Stinson, Daniel Sylvester, was born in New York, March 4,
1854, but came with his parents to Dodg-e county, Wisconsin, in
1856. He worked on a farm, attended the common schools, g-raduated
from the hig-h school at Columbus, Wisconsin, and attended the uni-
versity at Madison, in the same state, for tw^o years. He was en-
g"ig"ed in teaching* school before he was twenty years old, and fol-
lowed that vocation in Wisconsin until he removed to this count\^ in
July, 1879, and located at Dell Rapids, w^here he taug-ht school two
years. In 1881 he built a ferryboat at that place, and took in $87
during- the afternoon of the first day he run it. It continued a pay-
ing- business for some time, the receipts running- from $16 to S45 per
day, but early in July a bridg-e w^as built, and the suspension of the
ferrying- business and the laying- of the last plank on the bridg-e were
concurrent in point of time. Mr. Stinson took up a tree claim and
homestead in March, 1878. Except two vears, when he was deputy
sheriff under Sheriff Joseph Dickson, he has been eng-ag-ed in teach-
ing- school, and is recog-nized as one of the most successful teachers
in the county.

Stites, Albert H., was born in Millerstown, Pa., March 2, 1858.
During- his youth he attended the public schools, and graduated from
the hig-h school at Millerstown in 1875. He was naturally attracted
to the study of medicine, his father being- a physician, and after
graduating- from the hig-h school he went to Philadelphia and entered
a drug- store as clerk. In 1879, he g-raduated from the Philadelphia
Colleg-e of Pharmacy, and continued in the drug- business in that city
until 1881. In June of that year he came to Sioux Palls and opened
a drug- store in the old land office building- then located where the
Masonic Temple now stands, and when that building- w^as removed to
g-i_ve room for the present structure, Mr. Stites moved his business
with it, and remained there until in 1885, at which time he moved
back to his first location and since then has occupied the northeast
corner of the Masonic Temple. Prom 1885 to 1889, Prank S. Kim-
ball was associated with Mr. Stites in the drug- business, but since
that time he has carried on the business alone. He has been very
successful and is considered one of the best business men in the city.
He has been president of the territorial and state Pharmaceutical
society six years. In 1895, was elected county commissioner, and
assumed the duties of this office in January following-. In April,
1896, was elected mayor of the city of Sioux Palls, and in 1898, was
elected to the state senate. He "is very popular in this city and has
given good satisfaction in the discharge of his official duties".

A. H. Stit?:s.


Stitks, William D., was horn in Strasshuro-. l\>nn., in Srptc-ni-
her, 1844. At the a^e of twelve years he moved to Rocldord. 111., and
in 1S()1, enlisted in the Eijj-hth Illinois Cavalry and served until July.
1S()5, He then entered a druo- store in Chica«i-o as clerk, and re-
mained there until he went to Sioux Citv, la., and formed a jtai-lner-
ship with C. K. Howard in the druy business. In 1872, he came to
Sioux Palls and became bookkeeper for C. K. Howard, who was thin
doing- an extensive business. He was deputy countv treasurer sev-
eral years, and in 1888, was appointed clerk of the district court, and
held this ofhce until 1891. In 1804, he was elected police justice of
the city of Sioux Falls, and held this office until 1896. He is now em-
ployed in the reg-ister of deeds office. Mr. Stites is prominent in
Masonic circles, and has been honored by this order with hig-h official
positions. He has also been prominent in political affairs, and is an
enterprising- citizen.

Stoddard, W. H., is a native of Liberty, Sullivan countv. New
York, and was born February 15, 1843. He worked on his father's
farm until fifteen years old, w hen he entered the Liberty Normal
school, g-raduating- in 1859. He taug-ht school two years. After the
Outbreak of the war he enlisted for three months in the lOth New
Jersey regfiment, and then in Company H, 143d New York infantry,
and served to the close of the war. He was in the army of the Poto-
mac until after the battle of Gettysburg-; went West in 1863, was at
Lookout Mountain under Hooker, and was with Sherman in the At-
lanta campaig-n and on the march to the sea. He was color serg-eant
of the reg-iment in the Peninsula campaig-n, and orderly serg-eant for
a long- time, then lieutenant, and at the close of the war was brevetted
captain. That he was at the front, the fact that he was wounded
five times, is ample proof. He was discharg-ed on the 21st day of
Augfust, 1865. In 1866 he commenced to read law with Judg-e L. D.
McKoon of Long- Eddy, New York, and was admitted to the bar at
Binghamton, New York, November 14, 1868. He practiced law at
Middletown, New York, for fourteen years, and removed to Sioux
Falls in 1883, where he opened a law office, but soon after entered
into a copartnership with Judgfe Parliman under the firm name of
Parliman & Stoddard. This copartnership existed for about two
years when Captain Stoddard went to Kansas and practiced law for
awhile, but returned and resumed his former relations with Judg'-e
Parliman. In 1889 he became a member of the firm of Bailey, Stod-
dard «S: Wilson, where he remained until 1891 when the firm of Stoddard
& Wilson was formed and continued in the practice of law until early
in the year 1895, at which date the firm removed to Buffalo, New
York, and eng-ag-ed in the law business at that place. While Captain
Stoddard resided in Sioux Falls he was nominated l)y the Democratic
party for judg-e of the supreme courl of Scnith Dakota, and was the
candidate for state's attorney of Minnehaha county in 18')2, but re-
ceiying- his nominations from a party largely in the minority was de-
feated. He was well informed and' coukr*talk, and talk eloquently
too; it made no difference with him what the occasion was - Decora-
tion day. Fourth of July, (t. A. K. assemblag-es, picnics, bancjuets,
conventions, on the stump or to a jury-^he was at home, and the


people liked to hear him. He was a o-enial companion and a good
neig-hbor, and left home and a o-ood law ])ractice when he left Sioux

Strahon, John C)., was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania,
February ^), 1844; moved to Harding- county with his parents in 1857,
where he attended school and worked on a farm until he was twenty-
one years old, and then eng-ag-ed in farming- for himself; in October,
1878, came to Sioux Falls, bougfht some lots and built four houses,
and then commenced draying-, in which he has continued since then,
and has the larg-est draying- outfit in the city. He has received two
elections as alderman, made a good official, and was not afraid to
have his vote recorded with the minority. He is an industrious, hard
working man, a good neighbor, and a good citizen.

Strass, John F., was born in the city of Trondhjem, Norway,
November 1, 1862. In 1878 he emigrated to the United States and
settled at Fergus Falls, Minnesota. Immediately thereafter he com-
menced to learn the printer's trade, and has since then been contin-
uoush' connected with newspaper work. In 1881 he started a Scan-
dinavian newspaper at Fergus Falls, North Dakota, which he pub-
lished for one year, when he sold the plant. Early in 1894 he came
to Sioux Falls, and thinking- there was a g-ood field for a Populist
newspaper printed in the Norwegian language organized the Fremad
Publishing Company, and commenced the publishing* of the Fremad
on May 17, of that year. The success of the Fremad under his bus-
iness and editorial manag-eraent establishes the fact that Mr. Strass
is a good business man. He is well liked, and is a good citizen.

Stringham, Nicholas E., was born in Huron county, Ohio, on
the 30th day of April, 1850. When six years of age he removed with
his parents to Iowa, where they remained one year and then removed
to Minnesota. During his youth he attended the common schools,
and finished his school education in the cit}' schools at Lake Citv,
Minnesota, at the age of seventeen years. He then learned the black-
smith's trade, and worked at this business until he removed to Sioux
Falls, where he arrived on his 28th birthday, April 30, 1878. He
then entered into a copartnership with Frank H. Gillett in the black-
smith and farm implement business under the firm name of String-
ham & Gillett, which copartnership continued until 1882. From this
time until 1898 he was engaged in the fuel and implement business
in Sioux Falls. He has been a member of the city school board two
terms, and, although he has been nominated for other official posi-
tions, he has not been elected for the reason that his party has been
largely in the minority. He has always been an independent, up-
right, industrious citizen, and a thoroughly good neighbor, as the
writer can attest.

SuBERA, Dr. Harry W., was born at Picton, Province of On-
tario, Canada, April 2, 1847; was reared on a farm and received his
early education in the public schools. Upon attaining his majority
and until he commenced studying medicine was a "Knight of the
Grip." In 1877 he entered the office of Dr. Farnsworth at Clinton,
Iowa, and remained with him in his practice until 1883 when he

W. H. Stoddard.

John Sundback.

Olk S. ^w kx>«'N.


UTaduated at the Keokvik Medical collejjfe at Keokuk. Iowa. In 1SS5
he came to Sioux Falls, where he has since been enyaj^vtl in the prac-
tice of his profession. He has been president of the Minnehaha
Count}' Medical Society, and is its present secretary; was ])resident
of the County Board of Health two years, county physician one vear,
and has been city health officer since June, 18*)8; is a member of the
Masons, Odd Fellows, Elks, and Modern Woodmen. Dr. Subera is
a o-ood physician, has a o-ood practice, is a ]ileasant, sociable u'entle-
man, and a hio-hly esteemed citi/.en.

SuNDBACK, John, is a native of Sweden and was born Dccem-
l)er 21, 1850. He came to the United States in 18(.S, and lived in
Iowa until the sprino- of 1872, when he came to iSlinnehaha county
and took up a homestead in Edison, filing- on the south half of the
southeast quarter of section 34, and the south h.alf of the south-
west quarter of section 35, which was tlu- first liome-
stead iilino- in that town. He eno-au-ed in farmin.y ui)()n this
land until the spring of 1881, when Jie moved to Sioux Falls and en-
yajj-ed in the sale of flour and feed iWtd farm machinery. He was as-
sessor one year in Edison, and was constable and on the police force
in Sioux Falls when it was a villag-e. In 1886 he was elected sheriff,
and continued to hold this office until the lOth day of Januarv, 18')3.
He is a member of the Odd Fellows and Knio-hts of Pythias, and has
taken nearly all of the deg-rees in Masonry, is also one of the Xoblo
of the Mystic Shrine.

He made an excellent sheriif ; always level-headed, sa<j;acious and
honest, he performed his official duties without fear or favor to an\'
one. For several years he was prominent in political matters. Until
18% he was a straio^htout Republican, but after the adoption of the
national platform that year by the Republican party he became a
Silver Republican. In Januarv, 18<)7, he went to Nicarajyfua, Central
America, where he had a laro-e interest in a steamboat. In Decem-
hev, 1897, he sailed his boat around Cape Horn for the Klondike re-
}.i-ion, with the intention of eng-ajj-int>- in traffic on the Yukon river.
He is now residing- at Vancouver, B. C, where his family joined him
during the summer of 1898, and the state has lost one of its most
enterprising- and influential citizens.

S\VENSON, Ole S., was born in Norway, November *>, 1845; was
reared on a farm and attended school until twelve years of ag-e, when
he emig-rated with his parents to the United States, and settle<l in
Nicollet county, Minnesota; in 1863 he went to St. Peter in the same
state, and eng-ag-ed in clerking- in a g-eneral store; in 18()(> opened a
hardware store, but after doing- business one year at St. Peter, re-
moved his stock to (xrand Meadow, Minnesota, and remained there
in trade until he removed to Sioux Falls, where he arrived Sejjtem-
ber 15, 1880, and eng-ag-ed in the same business until he sold out in
1893. He then secured an interest in the flour mill at Valley Spring's,
in this county, which interest he still retains; was elected treasurer
of Minnehaha county in 1886, and re-elected in 1888, and is at the
present time chairman of the Repuldican county committee. Mr.
Swenson is a g-ood business man, an adroit p(»litician, a good neigh-
bor and an esteemed citizen.


Taber, Edward J., is a native of Canada and was born January
11, 1859. He was reared on a farm and educated in the public
schools. On the 20th day of June, 1878, he arrived in Sioux Palls,
and the first thing- he did was to take a contract to shing-le a roof for
four dollars. He shingled the roof, but did not g-et the four dollars.
He soon after went to Cameron, McCook county, and opened a feed
store; in 1880, went to Salem and entered into a copartnership with
(). S. Pendar in the mercantile business, but at the end of two
months sold his interest to Mr. Pendar and removed to Bridg-ewater
where he went into trade in company with a Mr. Barr}^ under the
firm name of Taber & Barry. In December, 1889, he returned to
Sioux Palls and engag-ed in the real estate business and was for some
time connected with the Citizens State Bank, and was assessor of
the city of Sioux Palls three years. When the State Banking and
Trust Company was organized he became connected with that insti-
tution, where he has since remained, acting" as its vice president.
He is a good citizen, .and highly respected.

Talcott, Ransom WilliJm, was one of the early settlers of
Minnehaha county, coming" from (^hio to Sioux Palls, November 10,
1871, accompained by his wife and twin g-irls two years of age. He
resided in the barracks for awhile, and then made a homestead filing
upon the north half of the south half of section 6 in Sioux Palls town-
ship. In 1878, he sold out and removed to Lake county, S. D.

Tate, Samuel Livingston, was born in Leed, County of York-
shire, England, January 14, 1839; emigrated with his parents to the
United States in 1842, and settled first in Massachusetts, but re-
moved to Perry, 111., in 1853, and from there to Lee county in the
same state, in 1857. During the civil M'ar he enlisted in the 132d
Illinois Infantry. He was graduated from Albion College at Albion,
Mich., and in June, 1869, received the degrees of B. A. and B. L,
Soon after he got married, and commenced the practice of law at
Evansville, Wis., but remained there only three months and then re-
moved to Grand Haven, Mich., where he remained until 1884. While
residing at Grand Haven he was court commissioner and injunction
master two years, judge of probate twelve years, and either alder-
man or ma3'or nearly all the time of his residence there, as well as
lieing the president of the board of education several years. In the
fall of 1884, came to Sioux Palls and opened a real estate office. Sep-
tember 1, 1886, formed a copartnership with R. P. Pettigrew in the
real estate business, and for several years the firm did a large busi-
ness. Mr. Tate is now (1899) about to engage in the same business
again. He is a thoroughly honest, upright man, and has well earned
the high esteem in which he is held by all who know him.

Taylor, Pred W., was born at Ormo, Wis., Pebruary 22, 1856;
was educated in the public schools and in the preparatory depart-
ment of the Northwestern University at Evanston, 111., and gradu-
ated from a commercial college in Chicago. When seventeen years
of age he went into his father's store as a clerk two years, and was
irt the employment of Pield, Leiter & Co. in Chicago "two years, and
with Ware & Co. a little over a year as bookkeeper and cashier.


Came to Sioux Palls Pebriuiry 28, 1880, and toniu'd a copartnership
with Justin (yraves, and the lirm bouo-ht the hardware l)usines of I.
K. Buck. At the end of one year he bouc>-ht Mr. (braves' interest and
since 1881 has been eno'ag-ed in the hardware business In* himself.
In 1880-1, in connection with Charles K. Howard, he built the How-
ard-Taylor block; was alderman from the First ward two years;
president of the Masonic Temple Association at the time the Masonic
Temple was built; is a thirty-second deg-ree Mason, and has been
Imminent Commander of Cyrene Commandr\- No. 2, Kniu-ht Teni])-
lars. Mr. Taylor is a o-ood business man, and'an enlerprisino-, popu-
lar citizen.

Thompson, Knut, is a native of Norwaw antl was born March
20, 1848. He came with his parents to the United States in 1852, and
settled on a farm in Dane county, Wisconsin, where he was reared
and received his early education. He afterwards attended a com-
mercial college in Madison, Wisconsin, and then was employed as
bookkeeper in an ag-ricultural house for iive years. He came to
Sioux Palls on the 1st day of April, 1875, and boug-ht fortv-four feet
fronting- on the east side of Phillips avenue, between Ninth and
Tenth streets, and "during- the summer, erected a building- and en-
gaged in the machine business. In 1883, he re-built, this time a
brick buildii:u|^k,nown as the Thompson block. He also erected a
tine residence on Tenth street, in which he still resides. In 1801 he
sold out his business, and since then has been employed in the county
auditor's office quite a portion of the time, and is now deputy auditor.
He is an honest, uprig-ht business man, is a g*ood official and an es-
teemed citizen.

Thompson, Peter P., was born in Norway, October 27, 184();
attended the public schools and worked on a farm in his native coun-
try until 1865, when he emig-rated to the United States and worked
for a few months in the copper mines at Superior, Michig-an. He
then went to Lansing, Iowa, and made this place his home for thir-
teen years, four years of which he was in a hotel. In September,

Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 66 of 99)