Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 69 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 69 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was employed in important litig-ation. He was popular with the pro-
fession, an eleg-ant story-teller, a g-enial g-ood fellow, and his removal
from Sioux Palls was sincerely regretted.

WisA, Prank, is a native of Germany, and was born July 18,
1849; attended the public schools until thirteen years of ag^e, when he
was apprenticed to a harnessmaker. In 1873, emig-rated to the
United States; lived a few months in Michig-an, and a short time in
Chicag-o, then worked on a farm one year; went to Iowa and worked
at his trade two years, and then removed to Vermillion, Dakota. On
the 15th day of November, 1877, came to Sioux Palls, and was in part-
nership with Warner Raabe in the harness business until 1879, since
which time he has been conducting- the business alone. He is a good
l)usiness man, and a g-ood citizen.

WiTTE, C. Pred H., was born in x\ug-usta, Eau Claire county,
Wisconsin, July 18, 1861. He was raised on a farm. In May, 1879,
came to this count}^ and eng-aged in farming- until 1882, when he was
employed by Heynsohn Brothers in Sioux Falls. He remained in their
employ until January, 1898, at which time he purchased the Minne-
haha Spring's property, and is now eng-aged in carrying- on the busi-
ness. He is an industrious, uprig-ht citizen and a g-ood business man.

Woodruff, James, was born at Geneseo, Illinois, December 22,
1864; attended the public schools until thirteen years old, when he
entered a printing office and remained there seven years. On the
5th day of April, 1885, he arrived in Sioux Palls and commenced
work in the printing- office of Caldwell & Bliss; worked at the case
one year, and then was foreman of the office five years. In 1891, he
accepted the position of foreman of the Argus-Leader office, which
position he still retains. In 1898, he was elected on the fusion ticket
a member of the house of representatives of the state legislature
from Minnehaha county and was an influential member of that body
in its 1899 session, serving- on the judiciary and public health com-
mittees. He is a member of the I. O. O^. P., the A. O. U. W., the
Elks, and of the Typographical Union; is a social g-ood fellow, and a
respected citizen.




Oka Williams.




Roy Williams.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 74*)



Woods, Richard Jackson, was born in Belfast, Ireland, t)n the
17th day of Januar\% 1863, while his parents were on a visit to that
place; their home beino- in Lonisiana, where the subject of this sketch
spent his boyhood days. He took an academic course in Philadel-
phia, after which he started West and came to Sioux Falls in 1S7S.
where he worked on a farm, and drove a team for awhile for Thomas
Ouig-le} . In 1883, he was appointed a «>-uard at the penitentiar\- and
held that position until June 2, 1887. A week after, on the *)th dav
of June, he married. He then en<j-ao-ed in the real estate business,
in which he continued until 1890, when he was ap])()inted special
a<j-ent of the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company of Mil-
waukee, and immediately commenced soliciting- life insurance, and
has continued in this business to the present time. He has been
wonderfully successful, and is known far and wide as one of the best
solicitors in the United States. Prom June, 1892, to June, 1893, he
wrote $712,000 of insurance, and four times durino- that year, as his
monthly reports went into the home office, he was notified that lie
ranked No. 1, and stood at the head of over 2,500 active ag-ents solic-
iting)" insurance for this g'reat institution. He is gfeneral district
agent of twenty-two counties throug-h the central portion of the state.
In 1889, and ag"iin in 1890, he was president of the State Firemen's
Association. In 1889 he was appointed by (lovernor Mellette Chief
of Eng'ineers and Ordinance, with rank of Colonel. In Augnist, 1894,
he was elected president of the Republican state leag-ue, and during
the state campaig-n that immediately followed, was an active and
efficient participant. In local politics he has for years been a ])ronii-
nent factor. The city, county and state conventions that have been
held without his presence as a deleg"ite have been few. He was a
delegate to the Republican national leag'ue convention at Clevelan<l,
Ohio, in June, 1885, was elected one of the vice presidents of the
leag-ue, and was appointed on the committee on resolutions. In 189()
he was nominated by the state republican convention presidential
elector, and his name stood at the head of the ticket.

WOODWORTH, Dr. ROLLIN E., is a native of Leon, New York,
and was born March 30, 1865. His father, who was a Methodist min-
ister, died when the subject of this sketch was three years old. Ht-
attended the common schools and the Chamberlain institute at Ran-
dolph, New York, until he was sixteen years of ag-e, when he re-
moved to Sioux Falls. He attended the hig-h school at this place ior
one year when he graduated; then studied medicine for one year in
the office of Dr. A^ H. Tufts; then went to New York and took a
three years medical course in the University of the City of New
York, g-raduating- in 1889, and soon after returned to South Dakota.
He commenced the practice of medicine in Valley Spring-s, remain-
ing- there a little over two years, and then went to Bisbee, Arizona,
as physician for the CopperOueen Mining- Company; remained there
one vear, but owing to its being- an undesirable place for his famil\
in which to reside, he abandoned a remunerative practice and re-
turned to New York, where he took up a course in the postg-raduate
school at the university, and was in the hospital for six months.
During- this time he made a special study of diseases of the eye, ear



750 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.

and nose. After completino- this course he removed to Sioux Palls,
where he is at the present time and has a o-ood practice as an oculist
and aurist. He has been president of the Minnehaha County Med-
ical Society.

Wynn, Wilbur S., is a native of New York, and was born
April 23, 1848; removed to Illinois with his parents when eleven
vears of age, and on the first day of April, 1862 — being- only eleven
years, eleven months and seven days old — he enlisted as a soldier in
Companv I, 35th Illinois Infantry, and served the full term of his en-
listment of three years. He was large for his age, and succeeded in
enlisting by representing that he was as old as his appearance indi-
cated. He did not go out as a musician but as a soldier, and it has
been claimed that no one enlisted in the Northern armies as young as
Wilbur S. Wynn. The 35th Illinois w^as a fighting regiment, and it
was the colonel o'f this regiment — AVm. P. Chandler — who first
planted the colors on Missionary Ridge. Mr. Wynn was in this
famous battle. At the battle of Stone River he was severely wounded
and taken prisoner. After the war he attended school and studied
law at Ann Arbor, Michigan, and w^as admitted to the bar at St.
Joseph, Missouri, in 1870. He soon after went to Hamburg, Iowa,
where he opened a law oifice and practiced his profession until he re-
moved to Sioux Palls in May, 1881, w^here he at once secured a good
law^ business. During his residence in Sioux Palls he entered into
two copartnerships for the practice of law, one with S. E. Young and
the other w'ith G. P. Nock, in both of w^hich firms he was the senior
partner. He was a Democrat in politics, and during- Governor
Church's administration was president of the board of the Deaf Mute
school. He was nominated by the Democratic party for judge of the
second judicial district at the time Judge Aikens was elected; was
nominated by the Democrats and Populists in 1890 for state's attor-
ney of Minnehaha county — and the w^riter had a pleasant campaig-n
with him for the office. He removed to Perry, Oklahoma, in 1893,
and subsequently to California. He was a hard working, energetic
lawyer and an active, enterprising citizen.

Young, Sutton E., was born at Hiram, Ohio, September 23,
1847, was raised on a farm and educated at Hiram college, where he
graduated in 1871. Por five years was the superintendent of the
pul)lic schools at Canton, Ohio, studied law during the same time
and was admitted to the bar in 1876. In 1877, was elected prosecut-
ing attorney of Harding- county for the term of two years, and in
1879, was elected a member of the Ohio legislature. In 1881, removed
to Sioux Palls, where he was employed as superintendent of the vil-
lag-e and city schools for three years. In 1884, formed a copartner-
ship with W. S. Wynn for the practice of law, and the firm continued
until 1886, when he entered into copartnership with H. H. Keith
under the firm name of Keith & Yoimg. In 1887, resumed his
former relations with W. S. Wynn, which continued until he left for
Hiram, Ohio, in the fall of 1891; w^as a member of the first legisla-
ture of South Dakota, and was elected Speaker, for which position he
was well qualified and gave good satisfaction. During the last few
years of his residence in Sioux Palls, if there was any politics in his



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 751



ward — in the city of Sioux Falls- the count \ of Minnehaha the ter-
ritory of Dakota, or the state of South Dakota, that he did not take a
hand in, the writer is io-norant of the time and i)lace when the ac-
cident occurred. He was not always successful in what he attempted
to do, but he was always adroit, enero-etic and jjersistent in carrying-
out his plans. He is a man of fine appearance and a j^ood i)nhlic
speaker. Since writino- the foreg-oino- ;Mr. Young- has returned to
South Dakota and is eng-ag-ed in a mining- enterprise in the I51ack
Hills, with headc[uarters at Rapid City, l)ut he recenth' removed his
family to Sioux Palls, where they wxTe heartily welcomed 1)\- their
many old friends.

Zentel, John, was born in Zenheim, (iermanv, September 24,
1845, and while ([uite young- learned the carpenter's trade. He enii-
g-rated to this countr}', and arrived in New York in Aug-ust, 1S()5, and
remained there at work at his trade for three vears. On the 1st day
of October, 1878, he arrived in Sioux Falls, where he has since re-
sided, and during- the g-reater portion of the time has been eng-ag-ed
as a contractor and builder. He takes quite an active part in local
j)(»litics, and is a man of considerable influence; is enterprising and
well liked.

Zetlitz, Dk. Arne, was born in Stavang-er, Norwaw June 1(),
lSb4. He g-raduated from the hig-h school in that city, and then at-
tended school in Germany for two years. He then returned to Nor-
way and studied pharmacy two years. In 1886, came to this countrv,
and located in Lyon county, Minnesota. From there went to Toledo,
Ohio, where he attended a medical coUeg-e, and was g-raduated in
March, 1891. He was then employed in the colleg-e as instructor in
nervous diseases, and remained there until he removed to Sioux Falls
in January, 1894, where he has since resided, eng-aged in ])racticing-
medicine. He was larg-ely instrumental in the establishment of the
Sioux Falls Hospital, and throug-h his efforts princij)ally. it has at-
tained a creditable reputation. He was county ])hysician two sears,
has a ^ood practice, and is esteemed as an enter])rising-. ii])right
citizen.



TO\\"N OF SOUTH SIOUX FAUUS.

During- the years 1888 and 1889 several industries had been
established at South Sioux Falls. The South Sioux Falls Railroad
and Rapid Transit line of road had been completed to this point, and
evervthinof looked prosperous and promising- for a rapid and wonder-
ful growth of the lively little burg- which had sprung- into existence
so suddenly.

All the prerequisites having- been duly complied wnth for the or-
ganization of a town, a petition was presented by the residents and
landowners of the southwest quarter of section 28, the south half of
sections 29 and 30, sections 31, 32, and the northwest quarter of sec-
tion 33 in Sioux Falls township, and sections 25 and 36, and the east
half of sections 26 and 35 in Wayne township, asking- the board of
county commissioners to order an election to determine whether the
inhabitants of such territory desired to incorporate as the Town of
South Sioux Falls. The prayer of the petitioners was g-ranted, and
the board ordered an election held on the 20th day of February, 1890.
The election was held at the Woolen Mills, and all the votes cast
(thirty-seven) were in favor of incorporation. The territory was
divided into three districts, and on the 21st day of March, 1890, J. M.
Eley, Fred Frost, Sr., and S. D. Perkins were elected trustees,
Fred Spoerl clerk, M. F. Drake assessor, C. S. Law^rence treasurer,
J, P. Wilbur marshal and William Ging-erich justice. July 1, S. D.
Perkins was elected president of the board, and a corporate seal was
ordered procured. July 9, the board, upon the petition of the
owners of hve-eig-hts of the property, passed a resolution submitting
to the voters the question of bonding- the town in the sum of S7(>,0()()
for the purpose of constructing- a system of water works and sewer-
age, and to defray the expense of a plant for lig-hting- the town. The
election was held June 31, and all the votes cast (fifty in number)
w^ere in the affirmative. November 3, C. S. Lawrence having- moved
away, C.E. Fickes was appointed treasurer; and on the same dav the
board allowed bills which had been incurred to the amount of
81,673.08.

R. F. Pettig-rew was not only the promoter of the packing- house,
but he was the prime mover in establishing- several industrial enter-
])rises at South Sioux Falls. The woolen mill enterprise was one of
the first. These mills were in operation in 1889-90. A soap factory
was built about the same time, and an axle g-rease factory a little
later. A starch factory was built in 1892. A larg-e hotel was
erected in 1889, and opened for business in the fall of that year.
The foundation for a Presbyterian church building- was laid, but the



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



753



project went no further. The packing- house plant, the most im-
portant of the enterprises, is within the town of South Sioux Falls,
and is the only one in operation at the present time. But the other
plants onh' require to be set in motion to make South Sioux Falls
one of the most active and important manufacturing- points in this
part of the state.

Buffalo Park.— In 1888 R. F. Pettig-rew and S. L. Tate pur-
chased seventeen. buffalos, and broug-ht them to South Sioux Falls.
They enclosed sixty acres with a hig-h board fence, and turned the
buifalos loose within the enclosure to obtain their su])sistence.
They then purchased quite a number of imported (killoway cows,
and let them in with the bisons. Young- buffalos and buffalo-g"ill(»-
ways was the result, and they were reared together. Deer (black-
tails and white-tails), and moose were also procured and put in the
park. A boy living- near the Missouri river upon hearing of the
park, supposed the proprietors would be pleased to add to their var-
iety of animals, and shipped to them twenty prairie dogs. Eig-ht of
them g-ot awav, but twelve were left in the park, and they at once-
commenced to take up homesteads and file pre-emptions, and in a
few years, if a census had been taken, the number of prairie dogs
would have run up into the thousands. In 1894 the buifalo-galloway
herd was disposed of, but the prairie dog-s remained until the high
water in the spring- of 1898 overflowed their habitations and drowiUMJ
them.




The Last Biffalo.

This illu^.tration is of the last Initfalo in Minnehaha C(.unt\ . Ik-
was born in Buffalo park, and having- special advantag-es for growth,
was a splendid specimen, weig-hing- 2,400 pounds. He never realized
his captivitv, and his behavior was unexceptional in the park. In



r54 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Auo-ust, 1894, he was sold and put into a box-car and shipped to
Buffalo, New York. When he found himself coniined in the car he
was g-reatlv enrao-ed, and before arrivino- at his destination the car
needed repairs. He was purchased for the park at Buffalo, but when
he arrived there the park commissioners were at a loss how to trans-
fer him to his new home, and they wired Senator Pettigrew for in-
formation. They finalh- made a chute for his passao-e and opened
the door of the car, but he did not approve of the arrang-ement, and
being- prodded in order to drive him out, he knocked out one end of
the car and made his exit.

LIST OF OFFICERS 1801-1899.

1891. May 4, the annual election took place, and the following"
officers were elected: J. M. Eley, Samuel Simons, T. J. Haynes,
trustees; Fred Spoerl clerk, C. E. Fickes treasurer, Wm. Ging-er-
rich assessor, C. H. Ransom justice, M. F. Drake marshal.

The receipts from taxes during- the year amounted to S()18.23.
The expenditures during- the year amounted to S2,132.91.
September 12, T. J. IIa\mes having- moved away, Thomas Hobart
was appointed trustee to fill the vacancy.

1892. April 12, the salary of the trustees was fixed at S25. May
2, at the annual election, the following" officers were elected: trus-
tees, Samuel Simons chairman, Fred Frost, Sr., Wm. Wolley; clerk,
J. M. Eley; assessor, Wm. Ging-erich; treasurer, Percy Frost; justice,
Fred Spoerl; marshal, John Nichols. July 12, J. M. Eley resig-ned as
clerk and Wm. Ging-erich was appointed to fill vacancy. At the end
of the fiscal year the amount of taxes received was $2,911.11, and ex-
penditures S2, 266.66.

1893. Ma}^ 1, the following- officers were elected: trustees, Fred
Frost, Sr., Samuel Simons, W. J. Wolley; clerk and assessor, Wm.
Ging-erich; treasurer, Fred Frost; justice, C. D. Fickes; marshal, M.
F. Drake. October 2, W^m. Ging-erich resig-ned as clerk and Fred
Frost was appointed to fill vacancy. November 13, the tax levy for
1890 having- been declared void by the courts, the board of trustees
authorized the county to charge back the amount of taxes collected
and paid over to the town, and retain the amount from future taxes
collected by the treasurer.

1894. May 7, the following- officers were elected: trustees, M.
Butterfield chairman, C. E. Place, E. M. Grimsell; clerk, E. C.
Goecke; assessor, H. W. Connolly; treasurer, C. E. Fickes; justice,
Fred Frost, Jr.; marshal, P. M. Harmison. November 5, E. M'. Grim-
sell resig-ned and A. J. McLain was appointed to fill vacancy.

1895. The annual election took place at the appointed time, with
two tickiets in the field. One ticket was nominated bv a caucus, and
there were some persons dissatisfied with the nominations. Thev
kept quiet and at the last moment a ticket was made up bv petition
and properly filed. The caucus ticket was not filed in time, but it
was voted and had a majority, and the persons named on the ticket
were declared elected, and became the dc facto town officials. The
matter g-ot into the courts, and the following- October the court de-
cided tba,t the persons naiiied upon the other ticket were leg-ally



HISTORY OP MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 755



elected. The dc hirlo officers stepped down .'ind out ;uitl llu' dc //ire
officers assumed their respective duties. The last nanu-d officers
were as follows: M. Butteriield, H. W. Connolly and C. I*:. l*lacc-
trustees; E. C. (xoecke clerk; Perry Frost assessor; C. \\. r^ickes
treasurer; A. D. Austin justice; Fred Frost, Jr., marshal. Mr.
Cxoecke moved away diirini*- the fall and James R. Connolly was ap-
pointed to till the vacancy.

1896. The town officials for this year were in part as follows:
trustees, Fred Frost, Sr., J. E. Nixon^ M. F. Holt; clerk, James E.
Connolly. January 1*), 18')7, J. F. Nixon having- moved awav, H. W.
Connolly was appointed trustee to till vacancy. February 2, 1SM7,
Harry Pratt was ai)p()inted trustee in place of M. F. Holt for the
same reason.

1897. C. J. Conway, Thomas Hobart and H. K. Pratt were
elected trustees; J. E. Connolly clerk; Fred Frost, Jr., treasurer; H.
W. Connolly assessor. In October J. E. Connolly resio-ned and H.
W. Connolly was appointed clerk.

1898. May 2, the followdng oflicers were elected: trustees, M.
Butteriield chairman, Hu^-h Mullen, H. K. Pratt; clerk, Wm. (lin-
j>-erich; treasurer, Fred Frost, Jr.; assessor, H. W. Connolly; justice,
Albert Norem. May 19, Mr. Frost declined to serve as treasurer
and C. E. Fickes \vas appointed. In October Mr. Norem moved
away, and Wm. Ging-erich was appointed justice.

1899. At the annual election the followint^ officers were elected:
trustees, M. Butteriield, Ole Johnson, H. K. Pratt; clerk, AVm. VAn-
<*"erich; treasurer, C. E. Fickes; justice, J.Harmison; marshal, Wm. P
Ryan; assessor, H. W. Connolly; overseer of hig-hways, Hug-h Mullen.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

BuTTERFiELD, Merrick, was born in Andover, Vermont, De-
cember 18, 1819; was raised on a farm, and attended the public
schools. When twenty-one years of ag-e he settled down to farming-
on the old homestead until 1854. At that time he removed to Mc-
Henry county, Illinois, and eng-agfed in farming- until June, 1SS7,
when he came to Sioux Falls. He resided in this city until 18*>.\
when he removed to South Sioux Falls, where he has since resided.
Mr. Butteriield held town offices in Vermont, and while a resi-
dent of Illinois was supervisor, school trustee, and also mayor of the
city of Marengo several years. He has been a member of the board
of "trustees of the town of South Sioux Falls four years, and its
chairman three years. When sixteen years old he united w ith the
Baptist church, and has been a deacon of that church forty years.
He is a pleasant, g-enial man, a g-ood neighbor, and an upright, con-
scientious citizen.

Fickes, Charles Edward, was born at Lincoln, Logan countw
Illinois, December 9, 1866. Attended the public schocds until thir-
teen years old, when he went to Chicago and was empl<.\r<l in a
grocery store until 1881. He then went to Marengo, Illinoir>, w here
his parents resided, and remained there as clerk in a grocery store
four vears, and for two years attended the Marengo high school from



756 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



which he graduated. He then entered a dry goods and clothing- store,
where he remained until September, 189i, when he removed to this
state and located at South Sioux Palls. He bought the interest of
Mr. Perkins of the firm of Spoerl & Perkins, engaged in general
merchandising at that place, and the firm of Spoerl & Fickes contin-
ued the business until Mr. Fickes on the first day of August, 1893,
bought out the interest of his partner, and since then has largely
increased the business. He has been remarkably successful, and
when his location is taken into account and the fact is known that he
does an annual business of upwards of S20,000, his energy-, honesty
and business qualifications are established. He has been one of the
town officials of South Sioux Falls during the whole time of his resi-
dence there, and is well liked as a neighbor and citizen.

GiNGERiCH, William, was born at Kur-Hessen, Germany, April
14, 1842, and at the age of nine years emigrated to America with his
jKirents. Resided in Maryland one year and then removed to Putnam
countv, Illinois, where he received a common school education. Jan-
uary i, 1864, he enlisted in Co. B, 64th Illinois Infantrv, served dur-
ing- the remainder of the civil war, and was discharged July 20, 1865.
He then engaged in farming in Living-ston county, Illinois, for sev-
eral years, and was a breeder of fine stock. For four years was a
dealer in coal and fuel at Chats worth, Illinois. In 1889 came t(»
South Sioux Falls, and resided there until he removed to El wood,
Iowa, but in 1896 he returned to South Sioux Falls, where he has
since resided, engaged in the fuel and grain business. Mr. Ginger-
ich has held some official position during all the time he has resided
at South Sioux Falls, and is an enterprising, upright citizen.



WAYNE TOAV^NSHIP.

(101-50)

The boundary lines of Wayne township were surveyed h\ \V. J.
Xeeley in July, 1859, and the subdivision of the township was made
l)y Carl C. P. Meyer in September, 1864. Accordino- to the o-overn-
ment surve\' the township contains 23,037 and 99-l()0 acres of land.
The water supply is o-ood. The Bio- Sioux river touches sections 13
and 24, and Skunk creek enters on section 6, and running- in a south-
easterly course leaves the township on section 25. There are also
several small streams which empty into Skunk creek.

The township was settled at an early date. Sylvester Delanev
and wife came to the county in 1866, and it is said they were the first
settlers in Wayne. Several of the present residents took up land in



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 69 of 99)