Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 70 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 70 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1870. V. R. L. Barnes, Prank Raymond and William Bailey were
all located there prior to June of that year. Solomon Pruner and D.
W. Oaks settled there in 1871, and in 1872 quite a number of new
settlers located in the township.

The first school was taug'ht by Miss Elsie Barnes in a duo-out lo-
cated on the southwest corner of the northeast quarter of section
14. Durino- the spring- of 1873, Mr. Oaks and Mr. Barnes went down
to Lodi Tabout fifteen miles north of Vermillion; and procured a small
building- 12x12 feet in size, took it down and drew it onto the north
half of the southwest quarter of section 14, and set it up for a school-
house. Miss Jennie Barnes taug-ht school in this building- during-
the spring- and early summer of that year. After the term of school
closed, sometime in Aug-ust following-, the schoolhouse was missing-.
Upon g-oing- to the place where it had been located one side of it was
found lying- Hat on the g-round, the rest of the building- had entirely
disappeared, except a piece of 2x4 which was found quite a distance
away stuck in the g-round. Upon dig-g-ing- it out it was found to have
entered the g-round to the depth of two feet. It was undoubtedly
the work of a "little twister," and the most remarkable feature of
the occurrence was the fact that it happened in the nig-ht time, and
not a drop of rain fell. Very soon after, a schoolhouse 16x24 feet
was built, and D. W. Oaks says he thinks it Avas the first frame
schoolhouse built in the county. Mr. Barnes came from Wayne,
Pennsylvania, and as he was one of the hrst settlers in the township
wanted it called Wayne, it was so named, althoug-h several other
names had been proposed.

Skunk Creek valley is noted for its fertilitv of soil, and as^the
home of some of the most prosperous farmers in the county. The
Chicag-o, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha railroad runs throug-h the
township and has a station called Ellis located on its line near the
center of the township. There is a post oflfice, store, and three g-rain
elevators at Ellis, but the residents of Wayne do the princii)al part
of their business at Sioux Palls.



758 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



WAYNE TOWNSHIP BOARD.

The board of supervisors of Wayne township met the first time
after its organization as a civil township January 10, 1881. Seymour
Hill and M. W. Pruner supervisors, and E. J. Tracey clerk, were
present, E. Wiser, who had been elected supervisor, was absent.
The bond of D. W. Oaks was approved, but the records do not dis-
close to what office he had been elected. July 23, the board directed
that an order be drawn in the sum of $100, with ten per cent interest
to Seymour Hill, he ag-reeing- to advance $95 to be expended in build-
ing bridges. At this meeting the township was divided into two
road districts.

1882. Seymour Hill, M. W. Pruner and E. Wiser were re-
elected supervisors, O. Brandenburg clerk. A tax levy was made as
follows: Town fund 2, bridges 5 and road 6 mills. Henry Smith
made a report as treasurer early in the year 1883, and had undoubt-
edly been elected treasurer in 1882, but there is no record of his
election.

1883. S. Hill, Charles Fleetwood and Carey Wiser were elected
supervisors, S. Hill chairman, O. Brandenburg clerk. A tax levy of
9 mills was levied for all purposes.

1884. The township officers for 1884 were as follows: Super-
visors, Charles Fleetwood chairman, Carey Wiser and Seymour Hill:
clerk, O. Brandenburg; treasurer, E. J. Tracey; assessor, V. R. L.
Barnes. The bond of the treasurer was fixed at $500, and that of
the clerk, assessor and constable at $200 each. On the 15th day of
March, A. M. Bowen qualified as one of the supervisors, in the place
of Charles Fleetwood.

1885. At the annual March election the following- officers were
elected: Supervisors, S. Hill, A. M. Bowen and E. Wiser; clerk, O.
Brandenburg; treasurer, E. J. Tracy.

1886. Supervisors, A. M. Bowen, E. Wiser and John Alguire;
clerk, O. Brandenburg.

1887. At the annual election in March A. M. Bowen, John Al-
guire and W. H. Bryan were elected supervisors, C. H. Fleetwood
treasurer, O. Brandenburg clerk. On the 30th day of April the res-
ignation of C. H.Fleetwood as treasurer was accepted, and E. Wiser
was appointed to fill the vacancy. At the same meeting C. S. Aikens
was appointed assessor, and Wm. Vincent and Charles Babcock con-
stables. The justices were M. W. Pruner and W. S. Jones.

1888. At the annual March election the following officers were
elected: Supervisors, A. M. Bowen chairman, H. W. Smith, John
Alguire; clerk, O. Brandenburg.

1889. Supervisors, A. M. Bowen, John Alguire, Wm. Bailev;
clerk, C). Brandenburg.

1890. Supervisors, John Alguire, Frank Barnes, Henry Frantz;
clerk, O. Brandenburg; treasurer, G. B. Moulton. There was $146.63
in the treasury at the close of the fiscal year.

1891. Supervisors, John Alguire, Prank Barnes, Henry Frantz;
clerk, O.Brandenburg; assessor, S.D. Alguire; treasurer, G.B. Moul-
ton. On the 3d day of October a tax of 1>^ mills was levied to def rav



HTSTiORY OF' MtNNEHAHA COUNTY. 75^)



the expense of a resiirvev of the township. At the' same time hritl^-es
across the Sioux river, Willow creek and Skunk creek were con-
demned. On January 5, 18*)2, the bills of C. Barrett for S25 and
Michael Harris S90.for damag-es sustained owing- to defective bridg-es
were allowed. At the close of the year the treasurer reported
S7ScS.75 in the treasury.

1 S92. Supervisors, John Alguire, Prank Harnes, Henr\' Frant/.;
clerk, (). Brandenburg-; treasurer, (i. B. INIoulton. At the end of the
\ ear the treasurer reported S810.b() on hand.

1891V Supervisors, John Alg-uire chairman, Frank Barnes,
Henrv Frantz; clerk, (). Brandenburg-; treasurer, (i. B. Moulton;
assessor, D. Alg-uire.

181)4. Supervisors, John Alguire chairman, Frank Barnes,
Henrv Frantz; clerk, (). Brandenburg-; treasurer, AV. F. Alg-uire;
assessor, S. D. Alg-uire.

181)5. Supervisors, John Alguire chairman, Frank Barnes,
F. S. Hall; clerk, O. Brandenburg-; treasurer, E. Wiser; assessor, E. J.
Tracy.

189(5. Same officers as in 18*)5.

1897. Supervisors, J. C. Dunn chairman, Frank Barnes, J. \\'.
\^incent; clerk, O. Brandenbug-; treasurer, E. Wiser; assessor, E. J.
Tracy.

1898. Supervisors, J. E. Dunn chairman, Prank Barnes, J. W.
Vincent; clerk, O. Brandenburg-; treasurer, E. Wiser;assessor, E. T.
Alguire.

1899. Supervisors, P. C. Preble chairman, J. W. Vincent,
Henrv Frantz; clerk, O. Brandenburg-; treasurer, E. Wiser; assessor,
E. T. Alg-uire; justice, Rob. Alguire; constable, Henry Watson.

BIOCxRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

Alguire, John, one of the prosperous and substantial farmers
of this county, was born in Canada, May 21, 1842. In 1853, he came
with his parents to the United States and lived in Xew York ten
vears. He then removed to Wisconsin, where he resided until 1873,
when he came to Dakota and located a homestead in Brandon town-
ship, this county. In 1880, he sold out and went to Oregon, but re-
turned within a year, and since then has been a ])ermanent resident
of this countv. He is the owner of a large real estate, the g-reater
portion of which is in Wayne township. His home farm comprises
nearlv a thousand acres, and is well improved. In short, Mr.
Alg-uire is one of the most successful farmers in this locality, and is
a hig-hly respected citizen.

Alguire, Solomon D., has been a well known resident of this
county for nearly thirty years. He is a native of Cromwell, Canada,
and was born in 1854. AVhen only six years old, he came to New^
York, lived there four years, removed to Wisconsin in 18()4, and
came to Dakota in 1872. He then secured as a homestead, the
northeast quarter of section 3, in the town of Wayne, where he still
resides and has a g-ood farm. Was assessor in 18*^2, and is a good
citizen.



760 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Bailey, William, was born in Ireland in June, 1846. His an-
cestors were of Scotch-Irish decent, and members of the Presbyter-
ian church. When twenty-one years of a.ge he emig-rated to the
United States, and came to Iowa in May, 1867. During- the next
three years he traveled extensively over the country, staying- but a
short time in any place. In May, 1870, he came to this county, and
took up 160 acres of land in sections 10 and 15, in Wayne township,
where he has since resided, and has added 160 acres more to his farm.
He is one of the best and most industrious farmers in the county,
and, aside from visiting- the World's Fair for two weeks, was never
away from home to exceed a day or two at a time, and has undoubt-
edly spent more days in Wayne township, than any other person.
He is a*g-ood neig-hbor, and a good citizen.

Barber, John B., has been a resident of Minnehaha county
since March^ 1872. He took up a homestead and pre-emption in sec-
tion 22 in Wayne township, where he still resides and has a well im-
proved farm, with substantial building-s. He was born January 15,
1848, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and lived there and in Michig-an be-
fore coming- to this county.

Barnes, Van Rensselaer Lafayette, was born in Oneida
county, N. Y., in February, 1820, and died May 11, 1887. He was
reared on a farm, received an academic education, and taugfht school
several years in New York and Pennsylvania. In 1864, enlisted in
the 24th Pennsylvania Infantry, and serv^ed throug"h the war. From
1865, until 1869, was farming- in Pennsylvania and New York; came
to Dakota in 1869, and stopped at Sioux Point until the spring- of
1870, when he removed to Wayne township in this county and took
up the southwest quarter of section 11, and the east half of the south-
east quarter of section 10. He resided in section 11 until one year
before his death, when he removed to Sioux Falls. He held school,
township and county offices, and the first year he resided in Dakota
was elected member of the leg-islature. He is a g-ood neig-hbor, and
a hig-hly respected citizen.

Barnes, Frank Wayne, son of V. R. L. Barnes, was born
July 28, 1859, in Erie county, Pennsylvania, and came to Dakota with
his parents in 1869, and has resided on section 11 in Wayne townshi])
since the spring- of 1870. He has added to the old homestead, and
now owns a farm of 320 acres. He has no ambition to eng-ag-e in pol-
itics, but is a g-ood neig-hbor, an enterprising-, thriftv farmer, and a
respected citizen.

Brandenburg, Oscar was born in Muscatine county, low^a, in
1850. After having- lived in Wisconsin for some time he came to Da-
kota and settled in this county in the spring- of 1876. He took up a
pre-emption and tree claim, and owns at the present time the south-
east quarter of section 31, the north half of northwest quarter of sec-
tion 19, and the south half of the south half of section 18, in the town
of Wayne, residing- on the last mentioned place. In 1898, he was
nominated count}^ auditor by the Republican party, but the Fusion
candidates were elected. He has held the office of town clerk since
1882, and is a respected citizen.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 761



Bryan, William H., is a native of Cattaraug-us countv, New
York, and was born May 16, 1836. He lived for some time in Wis-
consin and Iowa, and came to Sioux Falls in September, 1872.
He pre-empted the northeast quarter of section 33 in Hiji-hland
l)ut disposed of it, and for a lonc>- time was in the employ (•!" his
brother-in-law, C. K. Howard, in Sioux Falls. About fifteen vears
.-i_o-o he bouo'ht a farm in section four in Wayne, and a few vears a^-o
he moved on to it, and has g-reatly improved it, besides erectino- laroe
and commodious building-s. He also purchased more real estate, and
now owns five hundred and twenty acres of land in Wayne township.
He has a fine herd of reg-istered Jerseys, a good stock of cattle, hog-s
and horses, and is one of the prominent and well-to-do farmers
of the county. He always takes an active part in town and countv
affairs, and, while conservative, is not wantinof in public spirit. He
has been supervisor of the town lioard, and assessor, and makes a
ofood official.

Frantz, Henry, is a native of Pennsylvania and was born Julv
18, 1844. He was reared on a farm and educated in the common
schools. Before coming- to Wayne in this county in the spring- of
1873, he had lived in Ohio and Iowa. During- the civil war he enlisted
in Company H, 15th Iowa infantry, and when his term of enlistment
had expired re-enlisted and served in all, three years and eig-ht
months. Upon coming- to Dakota he pre-empted the northeast qu:ir-
ter of section 31 in AVayne, and afterwards boug-ht the northwest
quarter of the same section. He g-reatly improved his farm l)ut sohl
out in October, 1894. He is a hig-hly respected citizen.

Hall, Francis S., was born in Ohio, May 10, 1858; lived there
and in Iowa until 1886, when he came to this county and located on
his present farm, which comprises one hundred and sixty acres in
sections 6 and 7 in Wayne, and in section 12 in Benton. He resides
in Wayne, is eng-ag-ed in farming- and has quite a g-ood farm, and is a
g-ood citizen.

Jones, Wilson S., is a native of Erie county, Pennsylvania, and
was born September 9, 1828; worked on a farm and attended the pub-
lic schools until eig-hteen years of ag-e, when he commenced learning-
the trade of carpenter and joiner. After becoming- of ag-e he was in
poor health for several years, but says he g-ot well, in spite of the
doctors, by stopping- taking- medicine. In 1857 he removed to Sparta,
Wisconsin, where he eng-ag-ed in the livery and undertaking- business
for several years, and was a member of the city council two years.
He afterwards moved to Menominee, in Dunn county, where he kept
a hotel and was sheriff one term. From there he went to New Lis-
bon, Wisconsin, and kept the Georg-ia House two years. After trav-
eling- about for awhile endeavoring- to find a place that wr)uld suit him,
he came to Sioux Falls in June, 1870. C)n his forty-second birthday
he slept for the first time at his present home in a building- he had
erected. From the first he claimed that g-ood corn could be raised in
this part of South Dakota, and in this he was not disappointed. He
has lived here to see the country settled with a prosperous people at
the same time he has prospered himself, and adjoining- his farm



r62 HISTORY OF MINNEfiAftA COtlN'TY.



there is now a mammoth packino- house erected. Mr. Jones is best
known as "Corn Jones" and takes no exception to the prefix; he is a
born liw-hter, energ-etic and enterprising-, takes a hand in public af-
fairs and never was on the fence a minute in his whole life. Such a
man always has his friends and enemies, but W. S. Jones is a kind
neig-hbor and a good citizen.

McMuRREN, Henry, arrived in Minnehaha county in 1876. He
lived in Sioux Falls the first three years, and located on his present
homestead in 1879, which comprises 240 acres of section 6 in Wayne,
and 8U acres of section 31, in Benton. He lives on his homestead in
Wayne, and has quite a good farm. Has held several school district
offices. He was born January 1, 1844, in Ireland, and emigrated to
this country in 187().

MouLTON, Guerdon B., was born in Pewaukee, Waukesha
county, Wisconsin, September 1, 1843. He was reared on a farm,
and received his education in the common schools. In 1862 he en-
listed in Company I, 1st Wisconsin cavalry, and served until the
close of the war. He then returned to Wisconsin and engag-ed in
farming- in Waukesha, Crawford and Trempealeau counties until
April, 1873, when he came to Dakota. He took up a homestead and
tree claim in Lincoln county, and pre-empted a quarter section of
land in Wayne township in this county. His present farm contains
3)2'^) acres, and he resides on the northwest quarter of the northeast
quarter of section 22 in Wayne. He is a g-ood farmer and a g-ood
citizen, but the most prominent trait in his character is his g-reat
love for the Democratic party. It mig-ht not do to sa}" that he is the
only simon-pure Democrat in the county, but it is true that he be-
lieves a poor Democrat is better than a good Republican.

Oaks, Daniel W., was born in Chautauqua county, New York,
May 18, 1833. Was reared on a farm and educated in the common
schools. He resided in Illinois and Minnesota for some time but
finally came to this county in 1871. He secured as a homestead the
west half of the northwest quarter and the north half of the south-
west quarter of section 14 in Wayne, where he has since resided,
and took up the northwest quarter of section 22 in the same town-
ship as a tree claim. He built a log house on his homestead in Sep-
tember 1871, which was eleven feet square. The roof was covered
with Cottonwood shingles, and when Mr. Oaks had paid for his
shing-les he had only 50 cents left. The first winter several persons
lived in this house. Mr. Oaks said in an interview: "I don't know
how I should have wintered if it had not been for the kindness of C.
K. Howard." He has been quite active in public matters. He was
chairman of the first Republican county committee of Minnehaha
county, and called the first Republican county convention to order.
In the winter of 1872-3 he was one of the petit jurors of the first ses-
sion of the United States district court at Yankton, and was one of
the grand jurors at the first session of the United States court in
Sioux Falls in April, 1890, after the admission of the State of South
Dakota. He was the first assessor in Wayne and held this office
three years and has been school treasurer eighteen years. Mr.




W. S. Jones.




Residence of W. S. Jones.




(x. B. MOULTON.




U.W. Oaks.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 769



Oaks adds his testimony to the fact that Dakota blizzards are de-
o-eneratino- in force, and that they are of less frequent occurrence.
He said: "When I came here, there was nothinjr to obstruct the
wind, and the few first winters I spent in this county had at least
two or three storms each winter that could be called blizzards. We
were lookint>- for them all the time." Mr. Oaks is one of the most in-
dependent, determined men in the countv, and is esteemed as a kind-
hearted, upri<»-ht citizen.

Pruner, SolOxMON, came to this county in May, 1871, after
having- previously lived in Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa. He
pre-empted 120 acres of section 8, and 40 acres of section 17, in
Wayne, which he changed to a homestead, and resided there twenty
years. He then sold out and removed to the Pacific coast. He held
several town offices while a resident of Wayne, and was a g-ood citi-
zen. He is^ native of Ohio, and was born May 9, 1818.

Raymond, Prank, was born in Pawlet, Rutland county, Ver-
mont, January 30, 1815. He was reared on a farm and educated in
the district schools. He came to Dakota Octolw 20, 1868, and to
this county February 25, • 1870. He pre-empted the four center
forties in section 23 in Wayne on the 28th day of February, 1870.
Before coming- here he had traveled throug-h nearly all of the north-
ern states and Central America, and quite a portion of the time drove
an ox-team. He said: "When I came to Sioux Falls there was a
stone bviilding- near the rear of where the Emerson block now stands,
and a log- house a little southwest of this, and a building- near where
the Burling-ton depot now stands, occupied by a man manufacturing-
pipestone ornaments. In the winter of 1870, I moved into the stone
l)uilding- and kept a hotel. I had one g-uest at Christmas, but did
not have another for two months." Mr. Raymond has been a man of
great activity, and has retained his vigor and energy so that at the
age of eighty-four he is as sprig-htly and active as ever. He has not
held office, but has exercised his right of citizenship whenever oc-
casion offered.

Smith, Henry W., was born in Germany, January 3, 1844, and
came to Maryland in 1857. In 1858 he went to Illinois, and resided
there until 1872, when he removed to Dakota. He arrived in this
county on the 27th day of March of that year, and took up a home-
stead in sections 25 and 26 in Wayne, where he built a frame house,
hauling the lumber from Elk Point. He afterwards sold this home-
stead for a good price at the time the Sioux Falls Stock Yards were
located in that vicinity, and purchased the northwest quarter of sec-
tion 20 in Wayne, which he now occupies. Mr. Smith \vas elected as
a Republican representative to the 16th territorial legislature con-
vened at Bismarck in 1885. He has been an active member of the
Farmers' Alliance since its organization in Dakota, and has been fre-
quently elected president and secretary of the county alliance, and
has also been chairman of the executive committee of the state alli-
ance organization. In 1881 he was nominated for representative to
Congress by the Independent party of South Dakota, and polled a
large vote, receiving only 2,700 less votes than Jolley, the Republican
candidate. He was elected auditor of Minnehaha county by the
fusionists at the general election in 1896, and was re-elected in 1898.



770 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Mr. Smith is a farmer, but finds time to eng-ag-e actively in politics,
as the foregoing sketch indicates. He is a good citizen, and has
earned a place in the front rank of the Populist party in the state.

Sweet, Jesse W., was born in Herkimer county. New York,
July 0, 1847. He lived in Illinois two years, and in Iowa fifteen
years, and came to this county July 16, i870. He engaged in farm-
ing, and has a good farm of 320 acres in sections 3 and 4 in Wayne,
where he also resides. He is an industrious farmer and a good
citizen.

Tracy, Erwin J., was born in New York, July 21, 1846. He
removed from there to Illinois, and then to Wisconsin, and arrived
in Dakota October 3, 1877. He bought 160 acres of land in sections
4 and 9 in Wayne township, where he resided engaged in farming
until in 1898, when he moved into the city of Sioux Falls. When he
first located on this farm he planted six hundred mapl^rees, from
uhich he has made some excellent syrup. He has always been pretty
active in politics, and was town clerk, justice of the peace eight
years, town treasur^y five years, and president of the Farmers' Alli-
ance of this county. »

Vincent, John W., was born in Illj^ois, February 10, 1858. He
lived there and in Iowa until 1886, when he remove(J/to this county,
where he arrived on the 11th day of March. He bought 160 acres of
land in sections 5 and 6 in Wayne, where he has since resided. He
has held some ofiices, and is a good citizen.

Vincent, William, was born August 21, 1830, in Somershire,
England. He emigrated and lived in Cook county, Illinois; then in
Blackhawk county, Iowa; and arrived in Minnehaha county in 1887.
He bought and now owns the east half of the northwest quarter of
section 7, in the town of Wayne, and resides there. He was road
supervisor in 1890. Has a good farm and is an active and well-known
citizen.

Vincent, William A., was born in London, England, February
10, 1856. He emigrated to the United States with his parents, anil
liyed in Illinois and Iowa until 1884. During that year the subject
of this sketch removed to Dakota, and settled in this county on" the
18th day of March, where he has since remained. By pre-emption
and purchase he is the owner of a farm of 280,, acres in section 6 in
Wayne, and resides on the southwest quarter of that section. He
has held several school offices, is a good farmer and a good citizen.

Wiser, Elias and Carey. We had biographical sketches of
l)oth Elias and Carey Wiser, but at the last moment, when it was too
late to obtain the information desired to properly rewrite them, dis-
covered that they had been lost. They were very early settlers in
Wayne township, locating there in the early seventies. Their father
took up the southwest quarter of section 9. He died about ten
years ago, and Elias Wiser resides upon and owns the old home-
stead, besides 140 acres in sections 5 and 8, which he has purchased.
Carey Wiser resides upon section 17, and his farm consists of 420
acres, and is located in sections 17, 8, 16, 20 and 21 in Wayne. They
are both prosperous, enterprising farmers, well-known throughout
the county, and are highly respected citizens.



^^Alili liAKE TOM^NSHIP.

(101-51)

This t()\vnshi[) is one of the best for farminj^- purposes in the
county. The township lines were surveyed by William J. Neelev in
AutJfust, 185*), and the subdivisions were made by James V, Bunker
in June and July, 1867. It contains, according- to the o-overnment
survey, 22,835.1(1 acres of land. It has no streams of sufficient size



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 70 of 99)