Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 71 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 71 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to appear upon the maps of the county, but there is a body of water
on section 21 called Wall Lake, which covers 240.42 acres, and the
map of the first survey of this township presents the peculiar fact
that there were twelve small bodies of water besides Wall Lake, and
w hen it was subdivided, ten of these [)onds were located around the
corners of the subdivisions. Wall Lake is quite a resort for fisher-
men and pleasure seekers, and is onlv twelve miles from the city of
Sioux Palls. It is a fine bodv of water, let the seasons be what they
may, wet or dry. At as early a date as August 8, 1874, the Sioux
Pails Pantagraph published the statement that the real estate firm
of Cameron & Pettit of Sioux Palls had laid out a town at Wall Lake.
The township has only one post office called Lake City, located near
the lake. Its nep.rest railroad station is HartfOTd, located two miles
and a half from the north township line. The residents are princi-
pally of (xermaji descent, and there can be found in no place in the
county a more industrious, thrifty class of farmers than in Wall
Lake township. Good substantial farm houses, large commodious
barns, and fine stock can be seen in all parts of the township.




CD



ZioN Gekmax Ll'thekan Chl:rch.



This church, which is known as the Wall Lake Zion (remeinde,
was organized in 1881, with a membership of forty-five. In 1883 a
very fine and commodious church building was erected, at a cost of



772 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



S3, (>()(), which was paid by members of the church. The church
buildin^- and parsonag-e are located in the northeast corner of section
8. The first pastor of the church was the Rev. E. Hahnemann. The
Rev. Mr. Voelkert was then pastor of the church for about two years,
and was succeeded by the Rev. L. Weinrich, who remained until the
present pastor, the Rev. J. Hansen, took charge of the church. Ser-
vices are held every Sunday, and the present membership is seventy-
live. There is also a Sunday school connected with the church with
an average attendance of thirty.

(German Lutheran Church. — This church, which is in the
German language called Dreieinigkeits Gemeinde, was organized in
Wall Lake in 1882, with about fifteen charter members. A church
building was erected the same year on the northeast quarter of the
northwest quarter of section 11, at a cost of about SI, 050. 00, which
was raised by subsc^jiption. The Rev. E. G. Starck was the first
pastor of the churcJi; he/ivas succeeded by the Rev. G. J. Fischer,
who remained until J^he present pastor, the Rev. C. P. Thusius, took
charge of the churc'lli The present membership is twenty-seven,
and services are held every two weeks. There is also a Sunday
school connected with the church, with an averag-e attendance of
twenty-two scholars. In 1882, theie was a parsonage erected near
the church, at a cost of about $400.00.

Free Methodist Church. — A Free Methodist society was or-
ganized in Wall Lake township by Mrs. Ulba Thompson of Grand
Meadow in 1895, and services were held by her in one of the school
houses until the winter of 1897, when the school authorities refused
the further use of the school house. Mrs. Thompson upon receiving
notice of the action of the school board decided at once that a church
building should be erected for the use of the church society she had
organized. Mr. S. A. Hoyt gave the society one and a half acres of
land on the southwest corner bi section 21, and during the summer of
1898, a church building was e 'ected 23x24 feet in size, at a cost of
SI, 027. On Sunday the 18th day of September, of that year, it was
dedicated, and the sermon on the occasion was preached by the Rev.
J. H. Wilson, a district elder in the Iowa conference.

WALL LAKE TOWNSHIP BOARD.

1881. The first township officers were: Supervisors, T. J. Col-
lins chairman, W. D. Alderson, Charles Lueth; justice, John
Berguin; W. T. Pierce was elected clerk, but he removed from the
township and *James A, Hooker was appointed to fill the vacancy.
During the year the township was divided into four road districts.

1S.S2. Supervisors, T. J. Collins chairman, W. D. Alderson,
Charles Lueth; clerk, James Tracy; assessor, Peter Chelius; justice,
John Berguin.

188i>. Supervisors, T. J. Collins chairman, W. D. Alderson,
Charles Lueth; clerk, James Tracy; treasurer, Charles Boy; asses-
sor, Wm. B. Knott; justices, Wm. Miller, Henry Aulwes.

1884. The following officers were elected at the first annual
March election: Supervisors, T. J. Caldwell chairman, W. D, Alder-



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COb^TY. 773



son, Charles Lueth; clerk, A. P. Felt; treasurer, Charles I^ov; jus-
tices, H. Aulwes, C. Pelhafer; constables, James Hooker and \Vni.
Miller.

ISS5. Supervisors, T. J. Collins, chairman, Charles Lueth, L.
Wehrkamp; clerk, James Tracy; treasurer, Charles Boy; assessor,
C. F. Maehl; justice, A. C. Brown.

I88(). Supervisors, T. J. Collins chairman, W. U. Alderson,
L. E. Wehrkamp; clerk, James Tracy; treasurer, Charles Boy; as-
sessor, C. F. Maehl; Justice, Wm. Felhafer; constables, Rudolph
Kuhn, Carl Westphal.

1887. Supervisors, W. I^. Alderson chairman, Iv. E. Wehr-
kamp, Wm. Miller; clerk, James Tracy; treasurer, Charles Boy; as-
sessor, C. Maehl; justices, J. A. Campbell and A. H. Janke; con-
stables, Michael Darken, Carl Pelhafer.

1888. Supervisors, James Tracy chairman, L. E. Wehrkamp,
Henry Dreyer; clerk, James Hooker; treasurer,^ Charles Boy; as-
sessor, C. Maehl; justice, Augfust Janke; constable, Julius Volkman.

1889. Supervisors, James Tracy chairman, Henry Dreyer,
Henry Aulwes; clerk, James Hooker; treasurer, Charles Boy; asses-
sor, C, Maehl; justice, T. J. Collins; constable, Henry Fensterman.

1890. Supervisors, James Tracy chairman, Henr}' Aulwes, L.
E. Wehrkamp; clerk, James Hooker; treasurer, Charles Boy; asses-
sor, C. Maehl; justices, for two years, C. Sweenev, for one year,
Jcmchim Muchow; constable, C. F. Maehl.

1891. Supervisors, James Tracy chairman, L. E. Wehrkamp,
Henry Aulwes; clerk, James Hooker; treasurer, Carl Stowsand; as-
sessor, Charles Maehl; justice, Wm. Connolev; constables, Otto
(^unther, C. C. Muchow. "

1892. Supervisors, Henry Aulwes chairman, L. E. Wehrkamp,
Wm. INIuchow; clerk, J. A. Hooker; treasurer, Carl Stowsand: as-
sessor, Chas. Maehl; justice. Carter Sweeney; constables, A. (t.
Brown, C. C. Muchow."

1893. Supervisors, Henry Aulwes chairman, L. E. Wehrkamp,
James Darg-en; clerk, J. A. Hooker; treasurer, Carl Stowsand; as-
sessor, Charles Maehl; justice, Wm. Connolev; constables, Joachim
Muchow, P. K. Tucker. "

1894. Supervisors, Henry Aulwes chairman, Li, E. Wehrkamp,
James Darg-en; clerk, J. A. Hooker; treasurer, Carl S. Stowsand; as-
sessor, J. W. Muchow.

1895. Supervisors, A. (i. Brown chairman, Charles Lueth,
Joe Helberg-; clerk. Carter Sweeney; treasurer, Carl Stowsand; as-
sessor, J. W. Muchow.

1896. Supervisors, A. G. Brown chairman, Charles Lueth, Joe
Helberg-; clerk. Carter Sweeney; treasurer, Carl Stowsand; assessor,
Charles Voelsch.

1897. Supervisors, Charles Lueth chairman, John Lowell, J.
Helberg-; clerk, Otis Sweeney; treasurer, Carl Stowsand; assessor,
Charles Voelsch.

1898. Supervisors, Charles Lueth chairman, Joe Helberg, Joe
Miller; clerk, J. Sweenev; treasurer, Henry Muchow; assessor,
Charles Voelsch.



774 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



1899. Supervisors, W. D. Alderson chairman, Wm. Muchow,
Rudolph Kuhn; clerk, J. O. Sweeney; treasurer, Henry Muchow; as-
sessor, Charles Voelsch; justices, Y. G. Brown, Wm. Jordan; con-
stables, W. Dwyer, Joe Muchow, Jr.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

Alderson, Walter D., was born at Plymouth, Mass., April 9,
1853. He came West and located in this county in April, 1876, tak-
ing- up as a homestead the southwest quarter of section 17, and as a
tree claim the northwest quarter of the same section, which he after-
wards sold. He is keeping- "bachelor's hall" on his homestead, and
has a g-ood farm. He has been supervisor of the town board several
years, also its chairman, and is an honest, uprig-ht citizen.

AuLWES, Henry, was born in Iowa October 25, 1847. He re-
moved to Dakota in April, 1882, and boug-ht the southeast quarter of
section 9, in Wall Lake, where he still resides. He is also the owner
of 360 acres of land in section 16. He has a g-ood farm and eng-ag-es in
stock and g-rain raising-. He has been justice of the peace two years,
and a member of the town board of supervisors six years, three
years of which he was its chairman. In November, 1896, he was
elected representative from Minnehaha county to the state leg-isla-
ture upon the fusion ticket. He is a respected citizen.

Boy, Charles, was born April 12, 1839, in German3^ He emi-
g-rated to the United States in 1872, stopped in Illinois for a short
time, and came to Dakota in May, 1873, and took up a homestead in
Lincoln county. Prom there he removed to Minnehaha county and set-
tled in Wall Lake, where he boug-ht 640 acres of land in sections 8,
9 and 17, and eng-ag-ed in farming-. He was industrious and enter-
prising-, and soon had one of the best farms in the county. He was
treasurer of Wall Lake twelve years, and was a member of the
House of the state legislature two terms, in 1891 and 1893. He died
May 15, 1893, from the eifects of an accident that happened to him a
few days before while blasting- rock on his farm. He was an honest,
uprig-ht citizen, and his loss was keenly felt throug-hout the countv.

Dargen, Michael, settled in this county March 13, 1878, upon
his present homestead, the northwest quarter of section 32, in Wall
Lake. A few years ag-o he boug-ht the northeast quarter of section
31, in the same town, and now resides at that place. He is a native
of Columbus, Ohio, and was born December 23, 1849. He also
lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota before coming- here. He has for
several years held the office of treasurer of school district number
110, and has been supervisor and chairman of the town board, is a
g-ood farmer and a good citizen.

Dreyer, Henry, has been a resident of this county since Mav
18, 1878, and is the owner of a good farm comprising- 160 acres of sec-
tion 14, and also 80 acres of section 15, in Wall Lake. Has been a
member of the town board for two years. He is a native of Ger-
many, and was born January 8, 1832; "^emigrated to the United States
in 1866; settled in Iowa and lived there till he came to this countv.



HISTORY OP MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 775



Pelt, Peter A., emio-rated to the United States in 1868; lived
in Minnesota for ten years, and came to Dakota in the sprin*^- of 187S.
lie hied a homestead upon the northwest quarter of section 34, in
Wall Lake, where he resided until his death, which occurred Mav
1(), 18*)5. He held the office of school district clerk four years and
«li rector three years. He was born in Sweden, November 11, 1825.

(tRAVE, Fritz, is a native of Germany, and was born Januarv 22,
1850. After comint>- to the United States in 1870 he lived in
Illinois, then Iowa, and came to this county and settled on his pres-
ent farm in the fall of 1882. At that time he secured as a homestead
the northwest quarter of section 30, in Wall Lake, where he has
since resided. ' He recently boug-ht the southwest quarter of section
18. in the same township. He has a o-ood farm and is a good citizen.

(tUNTHER, Frederick, is a native of Germany, and was born in
1820. He emigrated to the United States in 18()2, and lived for sev-
eral years in Wisconsin. In the spring of 1884 he came to Dakota
and settled in Wall Lake in this county, purchasing the northwest
quarter of section 33. Mr. Gunther is an industrious, honest citizen.

Hooker, James A., has resided in this county since 1879, when
he came from Iowa. He formerl\' lived in Illinois, and also in New
York, where he was born September 29, 1845. He owns at this writ-
ing 40 Oacres of farm-land in sections 20, 28, and 29, in Wall Lake.
He is a prosperous farmer and a well known citizen, and has been
clerk of the town board several years.

HoYT, Stephen A., was born in Ulster county. New York,
July 27, 1834. He enlisted in the 17th Illinois Infantry, and served
during the war of the rebellion three years and three months. Since
that time his home has been in the state of Illinois. He has been en-
gag'ed in several lines of business, lumber, grain, hardware, and for
several years past has been a banker at Forest, Illinois. Edward P.
Beebe, a former banker of Sioux Falls, is cashier of the bank.
Twelve years ago Mr. Hoyt purchased all the land in section 21 in
Wall Lake, except 25 acres, also 280 acres adjoining in sections 20
and 22, and now has a good farm with fine buildings. Since he made
his investment in this county he has spent the summer months on
his farm and in the city of Sioux Falls, He is a pleasant man to meet,
and is highly respected.

Jordan, Charles W., was born at Watertown, Wisconsin, June
17, 1857. He came to Dakota April 7, 1882, and bought the southeast
quarter of section 19, in Wall Lake, where he still resides. He is a
good farmer and respected citizen.

Kalb, Casper W., is a native of Prussia, and was l)orn in 1842.
He came to this country in 1867, lived in Wisconsin for three years;
then in Iowa, and located in this county May 28, 1879. He took up
as a homestead the east half of the northwest quarter and the west
half of the northeast quarter of section 20, in Wall Lake, where he
still resides.



776 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Knott, George A., was born in Surrey, Eng-land, in 1838, but
lived in the city of London until 1856, At that time he emio-rated to
the United States with his father, and settled in Belvidere, Illinois,
where he lived until 1861. He then removed to Waverly, Iowa, and
lived there until 1873, when he came to this county, and settled in
Sioux Falls. He soon began the erection of the Sioux Palls Brewery
in connection with a man b}^ the name of Nelson, but short!}' after
its completion in 1874, Mr. Nelson sold out his interest to C. K.
Howard. Prom this time until 1886 Mr. Knott was manager of the
brewery. He then moved out on a farm which he had secured in
Wall Lake township, and remained there engaged in farming until
1889, when he moved back to Sioux Palls and engaged in the livery
business. He served as alderman from the Second ward in 1883-4-9;
was one of the county commissioners in 1891-2, but resig-ned on the
31st day of December, 1892, to accept the office of sheriff of Minne-
haha county, to which he had been elected in November preceding.
He held this office two years, and then returned to his farm, where
he has since resided. Mr. Knott made a good record in all the
official positions which he held. He is a good neighbor, a generous,
enterprising citizen, and one of most popular men in the county.

KuHN, Rudolph, was born in Dodg-e count3% Wisconsin, Decem-
ber 9, 1855. He came to Dakota March 6, 1880, and has been a resi-
dent of this county since then. He is the owner of 200 acres of land
in sections 20 and 29 in Wall Lake, where he resides and has a g-ood
farm. He has been one of the directors of school district No. 110
for several years, is a good farmer and a respected citizen.

Lowell, John, has lived in the town of Wall Lake since 1884.
He owns about 240 acres of land in sections 35 and 36 in that
town, and has a good farm with substantial buildings. He is a native
of Maine, and was born May 17, 1838. He also resided in Wisconsin
and Illinois before he settled here. He is an industrious farmer, and
a good citizen.

LuETH, Charles, was born in Germany, May 5, 1848, and emi-
grated to the United States in 1864. He resided m Iowa until 1878,
when he came to this county and settled in Wall Lake. He took up
the northwest quarter of section 7 as a homestead, and afterwards
purchased the southeast quarter of section 6 and the northwest
quarter of section 8, where he now resides. Mr.'Lueth has been a
successful farmer and will manage to get along without free silver.
He has been one of the school officers in his district for several years,
a member of the town board for five years, and its chairman since
1897. He is a good neighbor and a good citizen.

Miller, William, was born in Ozaukee county, W^isconsin,
December 28, 1846. He lived there until he removed to this county,
where he arrived June 5, 1881. He secured as a homestead the east
half of the northwest quarter and the west half of the northeast
quarter of section 22, and has recently bought the east half of the
same quarter, in Wall Lake, where he resides and has a good farm.
He has been a member of the town board of supervisors.




(iEorgp: a. Knott



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 77*)



MiTCHOW, Henry, was horn in Mecklenl)uro-, (lermanv, in 1S52.
He emiu-rated to Iowa and lived there for some time before lu- cuine
to Dakota. He settled in this countv, December 29, 1875, filing- :i
homestead upon the south half of the northwest quarter and thr
north half of the southwest quarter of section 2, in the town of Wall
Lake, where he has since resided. He has a well improved farm and
is a t^-ood farmer. He is at this writino- treasurer of Wall Lake
township.

MuCHOW, JocHiM, is a native of Mecklenber;"-, Germanv, and was
horn December 5, 184L He was reared on a farm and educated in
the public schools. Prom the ag-e of about seventeen years he worked
on the railroad and other public works until 1864, when he emig-rated
to the United States. He stopped in New York a short time, and
then lived in Toledo, Ohio, for about seven months; removed to Post-
ville, Iowa, and resided there about six years, then went to Alg-ona
county, Iowa, where he. lived two years. In 1874 he came to Minne-
haha county, and located in Wall Lake on the 15th dav of Mav of that
year. He took up as a tree claim the southeast quarter, as a home-
stead the northeast quarter, and later boug-ht the southwest quarter,
all in section 11. He also at one time owned two other quarter sec-
tions, which he disposed of to his sons. He has three sons, John,
Henry, and Charles, who are all industrious and g-ood citizens of the
county. Mr. Muchow resides on his homestead, has a gfood, sub-
stantial farm, and is one of the larg"e and successful farmers in this
locality. When he first located on his present farm he lived with his
family in a tent for eleven weeks, and then moved into a small sod
house which he built; two years later he built a frame house 14xl().
in which they lived a gfood many years until he built his present resi-
dence. The German Lutheran cemetery is located in the northwest
corner of his homestead, and the German church, and the school
house in district 29, are also located there.

MucHOW, William, is a native of Germany, and was horn Sej)-
tember 8, 1858. He emig-rated with his parents and several brothers
to the United States in 1873, and located in Kossuth county, Iowa,
where they remained three years. At that time they removed to
Dakota, and arrived in this county on the 16th day of March, 1876,
taking- up as a homestead the southwest quarter of section 5, in Wall
Lake, which now belong-s to the subject of this sketch, and where he
resides. He also owns the southeast quarter of section 21, in Hart-
ford township. He has been a member of the town board of super-
visors one year and clerk of the school board several years. He is a
g-ood farmer and an honest, uprig-ht citizen.

Nicholson, Olof M., w^as born in Sweden, October 11, LS4S,
and emig-rated to the United States in 1865. In February, 1885, he
came to Wall Lake, and when the school lands were offered for sale
he purchased a small farm in section 36. He is a g-ood, reliable citi-
zen.

Riley, Michael, has been a resident of Minnehaha county since
May, 1878, at which time he took up as a homestead, the southeast
quarter of section 25, in the town of Wall Lake, to which he has



780 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



added forty acres in section 36. He was born September 20, 1838,
in Hicklow county, Ireland; emigrated to Iowa and lived there be-
fore he removed to his present place. He is a g-ood citizen.

Stowsand, Carl, is a native of Germany, and was born Novem-
ber 20, 1852. He emig-rated to the United States in 1872, and resided
in Iowa till 1883, when he removed to this county. He boug-ht and
still owns the southeast quarter of section 4, and the northeast
quarter of section 9, in.Wall Lake, where he resides, and has a good
farm. He has been school district clerk and treasurer several years,
and town treasurer seven years. He is an enterprising- farmer and
a g-ood citizen.

Sweeney, Carter, was born October 10, 1840, in Washing-ton
countv, Kentucky. He lived there for twenty-one years, then in Illi-
nois, and came to Dakota and settled in this county in March, 1889.
He boug-ht the northeast quarter of section 32, in Wall Lake, where
he resides and has a g-ood farm. On the 4th day of November, 1861,
he enlisted in the army and remained until December 6, 1864, serv-
ing- the entire time under the noted General Georg-e H. Thomas. He
has been justice of the peace and town clerk in Wall Lake, and is a
g-ood citizen.

Tracy, James, is a native of Ireland, and was born in the county
of Tipperarv, Aug-ust 31, 1846. He emig-rated to this country and
resided in Pennsylvania, Vermont and Wisconsin, and came to this
county March 13, 1878. He took up as a homestead the northeast
([uarter of section 32, in Wall Lake, but sold it to Carter Sweeney
in 1889. He has held the office of school clerk several years, town
clerk two years, and has been chairman of the town board four 3^ears.
He is a g-ood neighbor and an active, honest, enterprising citizen.

VoELSCH, Charles, is a native of Germany, and was born No-
vember 26, 1871. He emigrated with his parents to the United
States in 1881, who settled in Wall Lake township, taking up a home-
stead and tree claim in sections 6 and 18. Carl Voelsch, his father,
died in 1891, and the subject of this sketch has since purchased 160
acres adjoining the old homestead and has a good farm. He has
been assessor of Wall Lake township three years, and is a good citi-
zen.

Wehrkamp, Lewis E., was born in Guttenberg, Clayton county,
Iowa, November 10, 1849. He came to this countv in the fall of 1876,
and secured the north half of the northwest quarter of section 14,
and the north half of the northeast quarter of section 15 in Wall
Lake, which he proved up as a homestead. He also owns the south-
east quarter of section 10 in the same township. He resides on his
homestead and has a good farm with substantial building-s, and well
stocked. He has been a member of the towm board nine years, is an
enterprising farmer, and highly esteemed as a neighbor and citi-
zen.

Westphal, C. F. a., is a native of Prussia, and was born in
1832. He emigrated to the United States and lived in Iowa until
1884, when he removed to this county, where he now owns the north-
west quarter of section 4, in Wall Lake. He is a good farmer and
has a good farm well stocked with cattle and horses.



c




\V ELIilNaTON TOM^NSHIP.

(101-52j

The township lines of Welling-ton were surveyed hv Wm. J.
Xeeley in Auo-ust, 1859, and the subdivision of the township was
made by James V. Bunker in June, 1867. According- to the g-overn-
ment surve\' it contains 23,071.98 acres of land. At quite an earlv
date in the settlement of the county the advantag-es of this splendid
township beg-an to attract the attention of home-seekers, and it was
only a short time until quite a number of energ-etic, thrifty young-
men located there to make for themselves permanent homes. At the
present time there are quite a larg-e number of well improved farms,
and the township as a whole has a prosperous appearance. For sev-
eral years there was a post office located on the southeast quarter of
section 2, called Celton, but it was discontinued, and another post
office was established in the southwestern portion of the township,
with the same name as the township. The southern half of Welling -
ton was first settled principally by Americans, and the northern half
by farmers of German descent. Several small ponds of water appear
on the first surveyor's map of the township, but it would be a difficult
matter to find all of them in a dry season. There is a small stream,
having- its source in two of these ponds, which flows from north to
south throug-h the township. It has no railroad, the nearest railroad
stations being- at Humboldt and Hartford in this county, and at
Parker in Turner county.

German Methodist Episcopal Church. — This church was or-
g-anized in 1880, with a membership of twenty. In 1890 a church



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 71 of 99)