Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 73 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 73 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


792 HISTORY -OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



meeting- it was voted that the township would defend the persons
who should be prosecuted for any acts done by them in carrying- into
effect the new survey.

1896. Supervisors, Robert Kyle, G. W. Fay, C.M.Johnson;
clerk, P. W. Buzzell; treasurer, P. A. Johnson; assessor, C. A. Liem;
justices, J. R. Manning-, C. A. Liem; constable, Amund Amundson.

1897. Supervisors, Robert Kyle, G. W. Pay, C. M. Johnson;
clerk, P. W. Buzzell; treasurer, P. A. Johnson; assessor, C. A. Liem;
justices, W. J. Kyle, Ed. Lewis; constables, H. H. Ely, Prank
Straw.

1898. Supervisors, Robert Kyle, G. W. Pay, C.M.Johnson;
clerk, P. W. Buzzell; treasurer, P. A. Johnson; assessor, C. A. Liem;
justice, Pred. Grandberg-; constable, Charles Porsbergf.

1899. Supervisors, Peter Williamson, G. W. Pay, Charles
Porsberg-; clerk, P. W. Buzzell; treasurer, C. M. Johnson; assessor,
P. A. Johnson; justices, Ed. Lewis, W. J. Kyle; constables, Monroe
Danney, Russell Kyle.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

Bannister, Gaston D., was born in Leroy, New York, Decem-
ber 1, 1828. He was reared on a farm and educated in the public
schools. Before coming- to this county he resided in Wisconsin and
Iowa. He secured a tree claim and homestead in sections 21 and 22
in Red Rock, and resided in that township until he removed to the
Pacific coast in 1892. He was one of the county commissioners of
Minnehaha county from 1885 to 1891, and was elected a member of
the lower house of the leg-islature in 1891. Mr. Bannister was a
quiet, unassuming- man, and, as his record shows, had a larg-e circle
of friends.

Bengtson, Nels, is a native of Sweden, and was born Pebruary
22, 1840. He emig-rated to the United States and lived in Iowa till
1884, when he removed from there and arrived in this county Pebru-
ary 19. He bought the southwest quarter of section 29 in Red Rock,
but sold it in the spring- of 1893 for $3,000, with the intention of
spending- his remaining- days in his native country, but, after a short
stay there, he returned to this country and boug-ht a farm in Minne-
sota, where he now resides.

Buzzell, Elijah S., is a native of Maine, and was born June
28, 1828. He was educated in the common schools, and remained on
a farm until eig-hteen years of ag-e, at which time he commenced work
as a house and carriag-e painter. During- the war he enlisted in the
27th Maine infantry, and served ten months. In 1872 he came to this
county, and was so much pleased with the country that he took up
the northeast quarter of section 34 in Red Rock, as a homestead, and
removed his family there in April, 1873, and has since resided there.
He is one of the reliable, popular citizens of Red Rock.

Buzzell, Charles P., was born in Maine, December 29, 1869;
is a son of E. S. Buzzell, and came to Red Rock in 1873, and re-
sides upon the home farm.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 793



BuzzELL, Frank W., was born in Maine in December, 1853.
He lived in New York before he came West with his brother, R. P.
Biizzel. He settled in this county and took up a homestead on the
northwest ([uarter of section 28 in Red Rock, where he has since re-
sided, and has a orood farm. He has held the office of town cli-rk,
and several school offices, and is an esteemed citizen.

BuzzEL, Royal P., was born in Maine, May 2, 1855. He li\e(l
in New York until the spring- of 1873, when he came West. He ar-
rived in Dakota April 14, 1873, and located in this county, on the
northeast quarter of section 28 in Red Rock, which he took up as a
homestead, and resided there until 1893, when he removed to Cali-
fornia. While a resident of Red Rock, he was town treasurer and
constable several years.

Cadwell, H. a., was born in Indiana December 15, 1852. He
removed to Minnesota in 1855, and lived there until February, 1876,
when he settled in this county and took up as a homestead the south-
west quarter of section 4, in Red Rock, where he resided until in
1893, when he moved into the villag-e of Valley Springs.

Fay, G. W., came to Red Rock in the fall of 1873, and took u])
two quarter sections of land comprising- the southwest quarter of
section 22, and the east tier of forties in section 27. He resides on
the southeast corner of section 27, and when he feels disposed to
visit Minnesota he has only to cross the hig-hway and he is there.
He has been elected to township offices, and is at the present writing-
chairman of the board of supervisors. He is a g-ood farmer and a
g-ood citizen.

FoRSETH, E. O., was born in Norway in 1856. He arrived in Da-
kota in 1883, and settled in this county, securing- as a homestead the
east half of the northwest quarter of section 9 in Red Rock, where
he still resides. He has also boug-ht some school land in section 16
in the same town, and has a g-ood farm.

FccHS, Nick, a native of Germany, was born January 20, 1834.
He came to Dakota in October, 1892, and located on the southwest
quarter of section 5, in Red Rock, where he resided with his family
until his death, which occurred a few years ag-o.

Hansen, Severt, was born in Norway in 1849. He emig-rated
to the United States, and in 1885 located on his present farm, com-
prising- 120 acres in section 6 in Red Rock, where he has since re-
sided. He has held several town offices, was school director three
years, and is a g-ood citizen.

Harris, C. D., was born at Sherburne, Chenango count\-. New
York, in 1858; lived there and in Minnesota until 1884, when he re-
moved to Dakota. He arrived in this county on the 31st day of Jan-
uary of that vear, and soon after boug-ht the northwest quarter of
section 29 in Red Rock, where he has since resided engag-ed in farm-
ing-. He has a g-ood farm with substantial buildings, and is a g-ood
citizen.



794 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Johnson, Morris, is a native of Norway, and was born March
9, 1844. He emigrated to the United States in 1859, and located in
Illinois. In Aug-ust, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, 34th Illinois In-
fantry, and in 1863, re-enlisted and remained in the service until
July 22, 1865, when he received his discharg-e. He was wounded
slio-htly several times during- the war, and once quite severely, a
minie bullet striking- him over the rig-ht eye, leaving- a larg-e scar to
remind him of the service he eng-ag-ed in so early in the cause of his
adopted country. Near the close of the war he was taken prisoner
at BentonV'ille, N. C, and was incarcerated in Libbey Prison, where
he remained until Lee's surrender. He went from Illinois to Grand
Porks county. North Dakota, in 1882, and resided there until 188*),
when he removed to this county. He purchased the northwest
quarter of section 5 in Red Rock, where he now resides with his fam-
ily, eng-ag-ed in farming-. He is a g-ood reliable citizen.

JORGENSON, MiKKEL, was born in Norway, August 15, 1848.
He emig-rated to America and lived in Iowa until 1876, when he came
to Dakota and settled in this co-anty, taking- up as a homestead the
southwest quarter of section 10, in Red Rock, where he has since re-
sided.

JuLSON, Halvor, was born in Norway in 1849. He emig-rated
to this country and lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota until in 1874,
when he came to Dakota and located in this county, taking- up as a
homestead the northeast quarter of section 10, in Red Rock, where
he still resides.

Kyle, John P., and M. C, two sons of Robert Kyle, were both
born on their father's farm in Wisconsin, the former on the 5th dav
of October, 1870, and the latter on the 21st day of January, 1872.
John Kyle owns 120 acres of land in section 16, in Red Rock, but re-
sides in Minnesota, eng-ag-ed in the g-rain business. M. C. Kyle owns
80 acres of land in the same section and resides with his father.

Kyle, Robert, of Red Rock, is a native of Scotland, and was
born Aug-ust 15, 1843. In 1861, he emig-rated to the United States
and eng-ag-ed in farming- in Waushara county. Wis., for ten years,
then carried on a lumber business in Michig-an for about two years.
In 1870, he boug-ht 80 acres of land in Red Rock, but he did not re-
move there with his family until in 1874. He has been a very suc-
cessful farmer, and is at this writing- the owner of 720 acres of
g-ood farm-land in sections 16, 21, and 22, in Red Rock, and dur-
ing- 1898, raised 8,000 bushels of wheat, 4,000 bushels of barley,
2,500 bushels of oats, and 4,500 bushels of corn. He resides on the
southeast quarter of section 21, and has a splendid farm, well
stocked. He has also taken an active part in town affairs; was
chairman of the town board of supervisors seven years, and has held
several school offices. Mr. Kyle is an honest, uprig-ht citizen, and
well liked by his neig-hbors and acquaintances.

Larson, Christian, was born in Norway in 1847. He emi-
g-rated to Iowa and lived there until he removed to Dakota in 1874
and settled in Red Rock. He took up as homestead 40 acres of
section 6 and 120 acres of section 7, where he still resides.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 795



Larson, Iver, is a native of Norway, and was born in 1843. He
emig-rated to Iowa and lived there until 1871, when he removed to
Dakota. In 1873 he came to this county and took up as a homestead
the northwest quarter of section 31, in Red Rock, when- he has
since resided.

LiEM, Charles A., was born at Fredericksruhe, (German v,
October 18, 1862. He received his early education in the citv
schools, attended collegfe three years and a poly technical insti-
tute the same leng-th of time, and learned the trade of mason and
builder. In 1882 he came to Fon du Lac, Wisconsin, and resided
there three years. In 1885 he removed to Dakota and located at
Valley Spring-s, following- his trade until the fall of 1888, when he en-
gag-ed in farming- in Red Rock. He has been assessor since 1892,
and in 1898 was nominated for the leg-islature by the Republican
party, but was defeated with the balance of the ticket. He is a gfood
citizen and well liked bv his acquaintances.

Manning, John R., was born at Andover, Windsor count v, Ver-
mont, in 1826, He was reared on a farm and educated in the pul)lic
schools. After having- resided in his native state and in Indiana,
Wisconsin and Iowa, he removed to Dakota in 1874 and located in
this county. He took up the northeast quarter of section 22, as a
homestead, and as a tree claim the southeast quarter of section 10 in
Red Rock. He was chairman of the first town board in 1881, and has
held several town offices. He was elected a member of the leg-isla-
ture when South Dakota was endeavoring to org-anize into a state in
1885, and was also elected to the first legislature of South Dakota in
1889. He is now residing- at Boog-e, a station on the Sioux City and
(xreat Northern railroad, which is located on the southeast quarter
of section 10. A post office was established at this place on the 19th
day of March, 1891, and Mr. Manning- was appointed postmaster,
which position he has since held. He is an honest, uprig-ht citizen, a
g-ood official, and highly esteemed by his neighbors.

McCoNNELL, Marshall, was born in LaG range county, Indi-
ana, September 28, 1847. He lived for awhile in Wisconsin: came to
Dakota in 1875, and settled in this county, taking up as a homestead
the northwest quarter of section 19, in Red Rock, where he still re-
sides.

McCjINTY, Thomas, was born in the state of Wisconsin in 1848,
and came to Minnehaha county in April, 1874, where he has remained
ever since. He took up as a homestead the south half of the south-
east quarter of section 17, and the north half of the northeast
quarter of section 20 in Red Rock, where he still resides, and has a
good farm.

NoRD, Peter, has been living on his homestead, the northeast
quarter of section 29 in Red Rock since 1875, when he came here
from New Brunswick, Canada. He was born in Sweden in 1844
and came to America in 1871. He is keeping "bachelor's hall" on
his homestead and is a good citizen.



796 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Oakstrom, E. W., is a native of Sweden, was born November 6,
1842. He emig-rated to America, and came to Dakota in 1875. He
settled in this county, taking- up as a homestead the northwest quar-
ter of section 30, in Red Rock, where he resided until recently, when
he removed to South Carolina.

Olson, Axel, is a native of Sw^eden, and was born December
12, 1836. He emig-rated to the United States in 1868, and located in
Illinois. He removed from there to Iowa and came to this county in
1882, and took up as a homestead the northeast quarter of section 31
in Red Rock, and purchased the southeast quarter of section 30 in
the same township, and has a good farm. He has been one of the
supervisors of the town board several years, has held other local
offices and has frequently been a deleg-ate to political conventions.
Mr. Olson is a kind neighbor and a gfood, reliable citizen.

Parish, H. T., w^as born January 21, 1833, at Oyster Bay,
Oueens county. New York. He lived in Wisconsin and Missouri
before he came to Dakota, November 9, 1872. He took up as a home-
stead the southwest quarter of section 22, which he sold, and then
boug-ht the northwest quarter of section 34, where he resided until
recently, when he removed to Colorado. He enlisted in Co. A, 15th
Reg. of New York National Guard Volunteers, serving as sergeant
thirty days from June 4, till July 7, 1864, when he was discharg-ed.

ROLLOG, Austin K., was born in Thelemarken, Norway, Octo-
ber 1, 1854. He emig-rated to Wisconsin in 1874, but left there for
Dakota in March the following year, and located in this county. In
April, 1876, he secured the northeast quarter of section 15, in Red
Rock, as a homestead, to which he has added by purchase about 110
acres. He has a first-class farm, with fine improvements, and is one
of the prog-ressive and prosperous farmers of this section.

ScHEFFER, Charles E., of Red Rock, was born in Pennsylvania
in 1859. Prom there he moved to New Jersey and came to Dakota in
1878. He first secured a homestead in the town of Palisade, but dis-
posed of it and bought the east half of the southwest quarter of sec-
tion 22 in Red Rock, where he now resides.

Swenson, Magnus, was born in Sweden, July 27, 1836. He
emigrated to the United States in 1868, and located in low^a. On the
4th day of June, 1873, he arrived in this county, and two days later
filed a pre-emption on the southwest quarter of section 9, in Brandon,
and in January, 1874, filed a homestead on the northwest quarter of
section 18, in Red Rock, where he has since resided. A few years
ago he bought forty acres in school section 16, in the same township,
and also owns 160 acres in Moody county. Mr. Swenson is a pros-
perous, good farmer and has a good farm. He has been elected to
town offices, and is a respected citizen.

Walker, David J., was born in the town of Adams, Berkshire
county, Massachusetts, Mav 22, 1825. He lived in New York, Wis-
consin, Iowa and Minnesota before he settled in Dakota in 1883. He
took up a homestead in sections 21 and 22, and a tree claim in section
15, in Red Rock. He has been assessor, and chairman of the town




J. R. .AlANNIXCi.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



799



board of supervisors, and resided on section 22, until July, ]S')5,
when he sold out, and went to Hot Sprino-s, South Dakot.i.

Wood, Okamel M., a native of Vermont, was horn June 4, 1S4().
He lived in New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota
before coming- to Dakota in July, 1873. At that time he secured a
homestead of 160 acres in sections 21 and 22 in Red Rock, where
he has since resided. He has held school district and township
offices, and is a y-ood farmer and a reliable citizen.




Harvest Scene.



BRANDON TOM NSHIP.

(102-48)

The township of Brandon, owing to its proximity to Sioux
Falls, was one of the earliest settled townships in the county. The
soil is g-ood, and streams of water at the time of the gfovernment sur-
vey in 1864, were flowing over twent\'-seven sections of land. The
principal stream, the Big Sioux river, enters the township in the
northwest portion of section 31, flowing thence northeasterly about
three-fourths of a mile to the center of section 30, thence southeast-
erly through section 29, to the center of the south line of section
28, thence in a southwesterly course through section 33, leaving the
township a little west of the center line of the section. Three
branches of Split Rock unite on the southwest quarter of section 10,
and the stream from this point flows in a tortuous course through
sections 15, 23, 26 and 35, leaving the township about three-fourths
of a mile southeast from the village of Brandon, near the southeast
corner of section 34. The town line on the west was surveyed by
W. J. Neeley in July, 1859, and the south line by Cortez Fessenden
in July, 1862, and the north and east lines by M. K. Armstrong in
October, 1864, at which time the town was sub-divided by the same
surveyor. It contains 23,007.60 acres of land. It has one small vil-
lage named after the township, located on the southwest quarter of
section 34, which was platted by the Worthington & Sioux Falls R.
R. Co, The plat was filed on the 18th day of September, 1878, and
comprised eight blocks divided into one hundred and thirty lots.
Brandon village is located on the Omaha railroad line and is 8.6 miles
from Sioux Falls. There is a post office at this place, which was es-
tablished in 1878, and N. J. Ronlund was the first postmaster. Since
his resignation W. J. Jones, D. A. Wright, John T. Lee and Martin
Brusveen have held this office, Mr. Brusveen being the present in-
cumbent. There is one elevator, two stores and a blacksmith shop
in the village, also a Norweg-ian Lutheran church, which was built
in 1883, and a school house built in 1885. The first school was
taught in the fall of 1873 by Celia Fauske, now Mrs. John Holden, in
a sod house built for school purposes, which was located on the
northeast corner of the southeast quarter of section 27. There was
only a dirt floor in this primitive school house during the first vear it
was occupied. The whole structure cost nine dollars, and was paid
for by subscription.

On the southeast corner of section 22 there is a station on the
Willmar & Sioux Falls railroad, now operated by the Great North-



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY, 801



ern R. R. Co., called Corson, named for Henry Corson, one of the
lirst directors of this road. It is eleven miles northeast of Sioux
Falls. May 12, 1888, E. A. Sherman filed a plat of Corson compris-
ing- ten blocks divided into eio-hty-five lots. At the present time
there is a post office, store and elevator at this place, and Ole E.
Pauske is the postmaster and proprietor of the store.

Nels Nelson Graff built the first house in the township) in the
fall of 1873. It was built of log-s with a shing-le roof, and was located
on the northwest quarter of section 35, where it is still standing, and
is a part of the building- shown in the illustration of N. N. Graff's
residence. Mr. Graff settled in Brandon in May, 1870, and at that
time only a few furrows of land had been plowed. Georg-e Christian-
son constructed a dug-out in 1869, and lived in it for awhile. It was
on the southeast quarter of section 32. In the early seventies he
moved into Split Rock and took a homestead, where he resided until
his death a few years ag-o. Mr. Graff lived in a dug-out about three
years before building- his log- house.

Split Rock Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church. —
This church was org-anized in the fall of 1871, with seven or eight
families. At the same time grounds for a cemetery were se-
cured by the organization in the southwest corner of section 33 in
Brandon. The first person buried in this cemetery was Carl T.
Lee, who died in the fall of 1871, aged 24 years, and the second one
was a son of Nels Nelson Graff, 2^4 years of age, who died the
following year. The church was organized by the Rev. E. Olson, of
the Norwegian Synod. The first regular minister was the Rev. O.
O. Sando, who preached his first sermon in the fall of 1873, and re-
mained in charge until the spring of 1880. During the two years fol-
lowing, the Rev. Naseth, now professor in the Lutheran college at
Decorah, Iowa, had charge of the congregation, and he was suc-
ceeded by the Rev. A. J. Lee, who remained until 1885, when the
Rev. Olaf Stub became its pastor and remained until his death,
which occurred in the fall of that year. The Rev. Aanestad then
had temporary charge of the church, until the Rev. Hans B. Thor-
grimson assumed the duties of pastor in the summer of 1886, and
remained until the spring of 1891. The church then was without
a pastor until the spring of 1892, when its present pastor, the Rev.
N. N. Boe took charge. The first trustees of the church were N.
N. Graff, C. T. Clauson and G. O. Lillihaven. Its first secretary
was H. G. Hovdestad. From 1875 to 1877, N. N. Graff was sec-
retary, and since that time the office by successive elections has
been held by John T. Lee. In 1883 a church was built, and the
money for its erection was raised by subscription among the mem-
bers of the church. The church building has a seating capacity
of 300 people, and is well finished. The tower of the church is
seventy feet in height, and the whole work was done by members
of the congregation under the direction of John T. Lee and N. N.
Graff as a building committee. The membership comprises about
thirty-five families.



802 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



NoRDRE Split Rock Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran
Church. — The members of this church ortranization reside princi-
])allv in the northern part of Brandon. In 1897 a neat and com-
modious church building- was erected by T. O. Hokenstad
on the northeast corner of section 11, at a cost of about
fifteen hundred dollars, which amount was raised among- the
members. The Rev. O. O. Sando was the first pastor of the
congreg-ation, and he was succeeded bv A. J. Lee, and the Rev.
H. Aanestad is the present pastor. It is connected with the
Norweg-ian Evang-elical Lutheran Synod of America. There is a
Ladies' Aid society, and a Young- People's society, and the memljer-
ship of the church comprises about eleven families.

Brandon Co-operative Creamery Company. — This com-
pany was org-anized in May, 1878. C. Dillon was elected president,
A. O. Ristv vice president, M. Brusveen secretary, A. T.
Ode treasurer, and John T. Lee director. The building- was erected
a little west of the villag-e of Brandon during the summer and fall of
1897, and opened for business on the 15th day of November of that
year. At first it received only 800 pounds of milk a day, but it has
been constantly increasing-, and some days it has received as hig-h as
5,500 pounds. This creamery is w^ell conducted, and its products
are shipped to New York, where the hig-hest price is obtained for
creamery butter. The manufacture of the butter is in charg-e of
Peter Anderson, who has had several years of experience in the
creamery business.

BRANDON TOWNvSHIP BOARD.

The first g-eneral election was held November 16, 1880, when the
following- persons were elected for the year 1881: Supervisors, Nels
N. Graff, Lewis Peterson, Jacob Keeler; clerk, Austin G. Ristv;
treasurer, T. I. Lathrop; assessor, J. E. Dug-anne; constables. Cash
Crittenden, August Nelson; justices, N. Griffith, N. J. Ronlund;
poundmaster, E. Erikson; overseers of hig-hways, John Eg-ge,
Thomas Thorstenson, Albert Nelson. January 17, 1881, board met
at the house of Lewis Peterson, chairman of the board. Bonds of
officers were approved, and the township divided into four road dis-
tricts. The first warrant was issued to Wm. J. Jones in the sum
of S30.

1882. Supervisors, Nels N. Graff, chairman, Jacob Keeler,
John Eg-ge; clerk, Austin G. Risty; treasurer, T. I. Lathrop; asses-
sor, J. E. Dug-anne; justice, H. H. Barron; constable, Charles Han-
son; poundmaster, Wm. J. Jones.

1883. Supervisors, John Eg-g-e, chairman, N. Griffith, Edg-ar
Poster; clerk, Austin G. Risty; treasurer, N. J. Ronlund; assessor,
J. E. Dug-anne; justices, Andrew A. Grinde, John Callender; con-
stables, Tom Christopherson, John Anderson; poundmaster, E.
Erikson. Fifty-three votes were cast.

1884. March 4, the annual town meeting- was held in the village
of Brandon, and the following- officers were elected: Supervisors,
Edgar Foster, chairman, Nels Griffith, Tom Olson; clerk, A. G.
Risty; assessor, J. E. Dug-anne; treasurer, N. J. Ronlund; justices,



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY, 80.



A. A, Grinde, John Callender; constables, Tom Christopherson,



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 73 of 99)