Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 74 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 74 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


John Anderson. June 23, Mr. Risty presented his resi^ifnation as
clerk, which was accepted, and Jul}' 3, L. M. Estal)ro()k was ap-
pointed clerk to fill the vacanc\'.

1885. Supervisors, J. W. Callender, chairman, N. N. GralT,
Tom Olson; clerk, L. M. Estabrook; treasurer, N. J. Ronlund; as-
sessor, J. E. Gorman. June 16, board met in joint session with the
town board of Edison, and ag-reed upon the division of the work on
the town line road. Brandon township was assig-ned the second,
fourth and sixth miles, commencing- at the east end.

1880. Supervisors, Lewis Peterson, chairman, Nels Swenson,
X. X. CTraff; clerk, L. M. Estabrook; treasurer, N. J. Ronlund; as-
sessor, Nels Ellefson; justices, W. J. Jones, Thomas Olson; con-
stables, N. J. Ronlund, C. P. Halsted.

1887. Supervisors, J. E. Dug-anne, chairman, L, M. Estabrook,
Xels Swenson; clerk, J. A.Eg-ge; treasurer, N. J. Ronlund; assessor,
Xcls Ellefson.

1888. Supervisors, I. N. Griffith, chairman, Ole J. Hegge, Tom
Redwing-; clerk, A. G. Rist\'; treasurer, J. A. Eg-g-e; assessor, J. E.
CTorman; justices, L. M. Estabrook, J. E. Gorman; constables, Tom
Christopherson, H. H. Barron. March 6, it was voted by acclama-
tion to raise the supervisor's fee to S2 per day, and to have all town
business moved to Corson as soon as a post office should be estal)-
lished at that place. March 16, road overseers were ordered to open
all roads in their districts on the lines where located as shown by the
public records of the county and township. July 12, a special town
meeting was held for the purpose of voting- on the question: "Shall
Brandon township be resurveyed?" Fifty-six votes were cast, of
which seventeen were in the affirmative, and thirty-nine in the neg -
ative.

1889. Supervisors, Fred Messner, chairman, Tom Christoph-
erson, I. X. Griffith; clerk, A. G. Risty; treasurer, John Egge; as-
sessor, Nels Ellefson; constable, Nels Wahlstrom. October 2(),
Jonas Carlson acted as chairman of the board, to which office he had
been appointed.

1890. Supervisors, Nels Swenson, chairman, Tom Christoph-
erson, A. O. Rist}-; clerk, A. G. Risty; treasurer, John Egge; asses-
sor, Nels Ellefson; justices, L. M. Estabrook, Ellick Griffith; con-
stables, Ole Nelson, Charles Johnson.

1891. Supervisors, N. N. Graif, chairman, John Carlson, Tom
Olson; clerk, L. M. Estabrook; treasurer, John Eg-ge; assessor, Nels
Ellefson, The reports of the auditors and treasurer showed that
the township was entirely out of debt, and there was a balance in
the treasury of S349.59.

1892. Supervisors, N. N. (xralf, chairman, A. Cx. Risty, Nels
Swenson; clerk, John T. Lee; treasurer, T. T. Redwing-; assessor,
Thomas Olson; justices, A. R. Griffith, L. M. Estabrook; constables,
Chris. Christopherson, John Uhley. June 28, a special town meet-
ing was held to consider the question of resurvey. A vote was taken
which resulted in 57 for, and 14 ag-ai)ist the resurvey. September
24, a special town meeting was held to determine bv ballot whether a



804 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Special tax should be levied to defrciy the expenses of resurveyino-
the township, the sum required beino- ^400. The vote was 32 for,
and 6 affai)ist special tax. February 28, 1893, the business of the
fiscal vear was settled, and the treasurer's report showed that
SI, 054.77 had been recei\ed, and S438.27 expended, leaving- a balance
on hand of S616.50.

1893. Supervisors, John Eg-g-e, chairman, N. N. Graff, Nels
Swenson; clerk, Ole Fauske; treasurer, Tom T. Redwing-; assessor,
A. G. Risty; justices, L. M. Estabrook, I.N. Griffith;" constables,
John Uhley, C. Christopherson. At the annual town meeting- March
7, it was resolved that "uniform stones be put on section and quar-
ter section corners, the size to be that of the larg-er paving blocks,
when the resurvey is made." June 17, the board procured the ser-
vices of John Lang-ness for resurveying- the township, and Nels
(Traff was awarded the contract for hauling- stone to be used as cor-
ner marks. September 8, Jonas Carlson was appointed supervisor
to fill vacancy caused by the death of Nels Sw-enson. September 15,
a motion was carried for changing- the lines according to the new
survey as far as practicable during the fall.

1894. Supervisors, John A. Eg'g-e, chairman, N. N. Graff, John
Carlson; clerk, O. E. Pauske; treasurer, T. O. Christopherson; as-
sessor, Thomas Olson.

1895. Supervisors, A. G. Risty, chairman, L. A. Harum, P. J.
Swenson; clerk, O. E. Fauske; treasurer, T. O. Christopherson; as-
sessor, T. O. Hokenstad.

1896. Supervisors, A. G. Ristv, chairman, P. J. Swenson,
A. P. Ode; clerk, O. E. Fauske; treasurer, J. E. Holden; assessor,
T. O. Hokenstad.

1897. Supervisors, I. N. Griffith, chairman, A. O. Risty, Ole
Nelson; clerk, O. E. Fauske; treasurer, J. E. Holden; assessor, T. O.
Hokenstad.

1898. Supervisors, A. O. Risty, chairman, A. Anderson, H. J.
Heg-gen; clerk, O. E. Fauske; treasurer, J. A. Eg-g-e; assessor, T. O.
Hokenstad.

1899. Supervisors, A. O. Risty, chairman, A. Anderson, C.
Dillon; clerk, O. E. Fauske; treasurer, J. A. Eg-g-e; assessor, T. ().
Hokenstad.

BIOC^RAPHICAL SKETCHES.

Anderson, John L., is a native of Halland, Sweden, and was
born March 26, 1840. He emigrated to the United States in 1871,
and lived in Iowa tw^o years; came from there to Dakota in 1873, and
bought the northeast quarter of section 24 in Brandon, where he
still resides, and has a good farm.

Anderson, Peter, was born on a farm in Denmark, on the 2()th
day of December, 1864, and spent his early vears on the farm. In
1890, he emigrated to this country, and resided in Cleveland, Ohio,
one year. He went from there to Minnesota, and engaged in the
creamery business for two years, and then removed to South Dakota,
where he has since been in charge of creameries at different places.
He is now the manager of the creamerv at Brandon, and gives ex-
cellent satisfaction to his emplovers.




John A. EG(iE.



I



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 807

Barron, Hiram H., was born in the town of Locke, Cayuo-a
county, New York, October 21, 1849. When only five years of a^j-e
icmoved with his parents to Wisconsin, where he remained until
1S74, when he ciime to Dakota and settled in this county on his ])res-
rnt place the southeast quarter of section 5 in Brandon which is now
a o()od farm. He served in Company K, 46th Wisconsin during- the
war of the rebellion, and has filled various town offices. In 1892, he
was nominated on the Democratic ticket for the leg-islature. He is an
enterprising farmer and a g-ood citizen.

Brusveen, Martin, was born at Toten, Norway, on the 23d dav
of September, 1867, and received a hig-h school education. In 1886,
he emio-rated to the United States, and worked on the railroads in
Iowa, Minnesota and Dakota, for several years. In 1894, he settled
at Brandon villag-e, and eng-ag-ed in the mercantile business with
John T, Lee, under the firm name of Lee & Brusveen, and they con-
tinued doing- business until 1896, since which time Mr. Brusveen has
conducted the business alone. He was appointed postmaster in July,
18*)6, which position he still holds, and has been justice of the peace
ever since he came to Brandon. He is a g-ood citizen and is well
liked.

Carlson, John, was born in Umea, Sweden, Aug-ust 6, 1844.
He came to the United States in 1868, and lived in Illinois until 1873,
when he removed to Dakota, arriving in this county on the 18th day
of April, of that vear. He took up a homestead in section 17 in
Brandon, and purchased considerable land in the same township. He
resided on his homestead until his decease, ^vhich occurred on the 2d
dav of March, 1895. He was a zealous Republican, and took gfreat in-
terest in the welfare of his town; was one of the supervisors of the
town board for several years, and was a g-ood farmer and a g-ood
citizen.

Christopherson, Ole, is a venerable old settler of Minnehaha
countv. He was born in Norway on the 19th day of June, 1828, and
came to the United States in 1872. He arrived in Dakota on the 25th
dav of May of that year, and during- the following- fall took up a home-
stead on the northeast quarter of section 26, and a tree claim in the
the same section, in Brandon, where he still resides. He is a g-ood
farmer, and a g-ood citizen.

Christopherson, Tom, was born near Christiania, Norway, on
the 3d day of January, 1860. In 1872 he emig-rated with his parents
to Dakota', and remained a few months in Canton, but during- the fall
of that year his father Ole located on section 26, in Brandon. The
subject of this sketch has now a g-ood farm in the same section, and
is a g-ood farmer and a g-ood citizen. He has held school district and
town offices.

Dillon Cornelius S., was born in Delaware county, Iowa,
Februarv 11, 1846, and remained on the farm on which he was born
for twenty-six years. He then removed to Sac City, Iowa, and en-
gaged in farming- for one year; then eng-ag-ed in the hardware busi-
ness at Newell, Buena Vista county, four years, and then eng-ag-ed in
the same business at Alton, Sioux county, Iowa, until he removed to



808 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Sioux Falls, South Dakota, in the fall of 1888, and eng-ag-ed in the
shipping- of live stock in addition to the hardware business. He was
a resident of Valley Spring- two years where he was connected with
the flour mills. In 1895 he returned to his first occupation, and en-
o"Lg-ed in farming- and stock raising- about one mile from the villag-e of
Brandon, where he has a fine farm, and resides at this writing*. He
is an energ-etic business man, and to him more than all others, the
people of Brandon are indebted for their creamery, of which cor-
poration he is the president. He is a gfood citizen and well liked by
his neighbors.

Egge, John A., is a native of Norway, and was born April 22,
1855. In 1869 he emig-rated to the United States, and lived in Wis-
consin until the fall of 1871, when he became a resident of this
county. His father, Andrew Johnson, took up as a homestead the
northwest quarter of section 11, in Brandon, and at his death in 1878
Mr. Eg-g-e became the owner of the place, and now resides there and
has one of the finest farms in the county. In the spring- of 1892 he
boug-ht some land in section 36, in Edison, and he also owns consid-
erable land in section 2, in Brandon. He is a brig-ht and enterprising-
farmer, and takes great interest in public affairs; he has been chair-
man and clerk of the town board, treasurer four years, and school
clerk ten years. He was elected to the house of representatives in
1894, and is a first-class citizen.

Erickson, Erick, is a native of Sweden, and was born Septem-
ber 27, 1849. He emigrated to the United States in 1871, and lived
in Illinois until 1873, when he removed to this county. He took up
as a homestead the northwest quarter of section 21, in Brandon,
where he still resides and has a well improved farm. He also owns
40 acres of section 16, in the same town. He has frequently been a
delegate to political conventions, has held several town offices, and is
an active promoter of the interests of his town.

Erickson, John, a son-in-law^ of Erik Swenson, is the owner of
the west half of section 4, in Brandon. He resides on the southeast
quarter and has a fine farm and is a good citizen.

Erickson, Jonas, was born in Sweden, October 24, 1854. He
emigrated to England, where he remained one year, and then came
to this country and settled in Ohio for a short time. In April, 1873,
he came to this county and settled on section 20 in Brandon. He has
added to his original quarter section, forty acres of section 16. He
is an industrious, honest farmer, and a good citizen.

Pauske, Ole E., was born in Norway, February 21, 1861. He
emigrated to this country with his parents in 1862, and lived in Iowa
until 1873, when they removed to Dakota and settled in this countv.
After having become of age the subject of this sketch purchased a
([uarter section of land in section 10, in Edison, but sold it in April,
1893, to W. M. Boyle. Mr. Fauske is now engaged in the mercantile
business at Corson, where he is the postmaster. He is clerk of the
town board and is a good business man and a respected citizen.




N. N. CtKAFf.




Farm Kksidk.nci'. m- a. N. *.k.\ff



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. SU



CrRAP^F, Nels Nelson, was born in Sweden, Deceml^er 21, 1842.
and emio-rated to the United States in 1869. He resided in Iowa a
little less than a year, and settled in Brandon, in May, 1870. He
was the hrst actual settler of that township, and has resided
there lonjj-er than any other person. He took up as a homestead the
north half and the southeast quarter of the north west quarter, and the
southwest ([uarter of the northeast quarter of section 35, and as a
timber claim the southwest quarter of the northwest quarter of the
same section, and has since boutrht several hundred acres of land in
sections 25, 26 and 36. He lived with his family in a duo-out the
first three years, and then built a log house, the first buildino- in
Brandon, which is still in a good state of preservation, and make^
a part of his present residence. Since the organization of the town-
ship he has held some prominent town office nearly every year, and
during the years 1891-2-3 was chairman of the town board of su-
pervisors. He has also held offices in his school district, has fre-
cjuently been sent as a delegate to the county conventions, and was
a delegate to the Republican state convention at Chamberlain in
1892. Mr. Graif is a prosperous farmer, a good neighbor, and an
enterprising, upright citizen. His son Martin lives on a fine farm
in the northeast quarter of section 25, and Adolph, another- son, is
engaged in farming on the southeast quarter of section 26, and
both are industrious farmers and good citizens. The younger sons,
NeElian and EnNelus, who are twin brothers, reside with their
father.

(tRIFFITH, I. N., was born in Knox county, Ohio, January 2<>.
1841. When fifteen years of ag-e he removed to Iowa, and lived there
until 1873, when he settled in this county. He took up as a home-
stead the northeast quarter of section 6, where he still resides and
has a good farm. He has always taken an active part in town affairs,
has been a member of the town board several terms, one year as
chairman, and a member of the school board for about twenty years.
He says he has a pretty good family of children, there l:)eing one
boy and six girls, one of them weighing two hundred and eighteen
pounds. Mr. Griffith is an enterprising farmer, and a good citizen.

GusARSON, Peter A., was born in the southern part of Sweden,
July 14, 1841. He emigrated to the United States and resided in
Illinois for some time before coming to this county in March, 1883.
He bought the north half of the northeast quarter, and the north
half of the northwest quarter of section 17 in Brandon for SI, <>(»(),
where he still resides and has a well improved farm. He is an in-
dustrious good farmer, and has held the office of school district
director three years.

Hakanson, Nathaniel, is a native of Wester botten, Sweden,
and was born January 30, 1853. He came to the United States in
1872, and engaged in farming five years in Illinois, and from there
removed to Dakota in 1877, and located in this county. He took u])
the northeast quarter of section 21 in Brandon, where he still re-
sides, and has a good farm. He has been school director three-
years, and treasurer seven years, and is one of the enterprising
citizens of Brandon.



812 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Halstedt, C. p., is a native of Sweden, and was born Septem-
ber 18, 1830. He emigrated to the United States in 1868, and resided
in Iowa until 1873, when he removed to this county. He took up as
a homestead the southwest quarter of section 12, in Brandon, where
he still resides, and has a fine farm, under a hig-h state of cultivation.
He also secured bv pre-emption the southeast quarter of section 2,
in the same town, but disposed of it. He has held the office of con-
stable for two years, is a g-ood citizen and a g-ood farmer.

Hanson, Carl Predrik, was born in Lapland, Sweden, in
1837, and lived there until he was thirty years old. At Yuletide
the}^ had only two hours of daylig"ht in the twenty-four, while at mid-
summer it was never dark, only an hour or two of twiligfht, and the
midnight sun could be seen. He thinks Dakota is as superior to
Lapland as day is to nig-ht, and after having- been three years in Eng-
land and two in Ohio, he came to Dakota and to this county in the
spring- of 1873, and found that this was just the place for him. He
entered as a homestead the northwest quarter and the east half of
the southwest quarter of section 18, in Brandon, where he still lives.
He is a good farmer and a good citizen.

Hedstrom, Jacob, was born in Sweden, August 17, 1833. He
emigrated to the United States and lived in Illinois until he removed
to Dakota in March, 1874, arriving in this county on the 15th of that
month. He secured a homestead in sections 10 and 15 in Brandon,
where he has since resided. He has been elected to school offices,
and is a good citizen. His son Eddie is a promising young man and
an efficient teacher and esteemed citizen.

Heggen, Halvor J., was born near Christiania, Norway, Feb-
ruary 23, 1855. He was raised on a farm, and received a common
school education. In 1868 he emigrated with his parents to the
United States and located in Freeborn county, Minnesota, where
they remained until in 1872, when they removed to Dakota. His
father, J. O. Heggen, took up a homestead in sections 11 and 14, in
Brandon, and a few years later the subject of this sketch took up a
homestead adjoining his father's on the east, in the same sections,
to which he has added by purchase, and now has a good farm of 200
acres of his own. He is at the present time one of the supervisors
of the town board. His two brothers, Ole and Gilbert, are also en-
gaged in farming — Ole, the old homestead and a quarter section ad-
joining on the west side, and Gilbert, a farm about a mile farther
north. They are all enterprising- farmers and good citizens.

HoFP\ Gilbert Hanson, was born in Norway, September 14,
1827, and came to the United States in 1868, and lived in Wisconsin
two years. In 1870 he removed to Dakota and resided in Lincoln
county until 1872, when he moved to this county and took up as a
homestead 40 acres of section 7, in Red Rock, and 120 acres of sec-
tion 12, in Brandon, and a tree claim in section 7, in Red Rock. He
resided on his farm engaged in farming until 1892, when he moved
Hito the city of Sioux Palls, leaving his farms in charge of his sons,
Nels, John and Jens. While residing in Brandon, Mr. Hanson
was school treasurer for about live vears. He was a''"good farmer
and a good citizen. He died at Sioux Falls, March 14,1897.




T. (). HOKENSTAD AND WiFE.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 815



HoKENSTAD, Thomas Olson, of Brandon, has been livin^- in
Dakota since 1871, but did not settle in this coiintv until 1873, when
he took up a homestead in sections 1 and 12 in Brandon, where he
still resides and has a line farm. He also secured a tree claim in the
same section, and has since purchased 160 acres in section 36, in
lOdison. He built some of the iirst houses in Sioux Prills and also
the Norde Split Rock Lutheran church in Brandon. He is an enter-
prising- citizen, and has held several township ollices; was one of the
orcranizers of school district No. 7, director of the school board six
years, and afterwards clerk of the same six years. He was born in
Norway July 20, 1842, emio-rated to the United States in 18()8, and
lived in Wisconsin until he settled in this state. His family consists
of his wife, seven boys and one girl.

HoKENSTAD, O. T., the oldest son of T. O. Hokenstad w^as born
in Green county, Wisconsin, April 12, 1870; came to this county with
liis parents, and received his early education in the district schools
of Brandon, and later took a course in the Normal school and Busi-
ness coUeg-e at Sioux Palls. He is traveling- salesman for several
machine companies, is an enterprising- young- man, and a good
citizen.

HuLBURT, Henderson, was born in Mercer county. Pa., June
17, 1844, and lived on a farm until he enlisted in the war of the rebel-
lion in 1861. He w^as a member of Company G, 100th Pennsylvania
Veteran Volunteers, four years and one month. During- the second
hgfht at Bull Run he was quite seriously wounded. After the war he
went to Kansas and eng-ag-ed in farming- for a few years. In 1883, he
removed to Worthing-ton, Minnesota, and since then has been in the
employ of the Omaha Railroad Company, and is now located at Bran-
don. He is a g-ood citizen.

Johnson, Charles, is a native of Sweden and was born in 1851.
He emig-rated to the United States and lived in Illinois till 1873,
^^ hen he came to Dakota and settled in this county, where he has
since remained. He took up a homestead and tree claim in section
17, in Brandon, and has a good farm. He was constable in 1800-1
and clerk of the school board in district No. 11, in 1891-2, and is an
enterprising-, gfood citizen.

Jones, William J., is a native of Wales, Great Britain, and was
born December 14, 1838. When only four years of ag-e he became a
resident of the United States, and lived in Wisconsin fifteen years;
from there he went to Iowa. In September, 18()1, he mustered in as
volunteer of the 1st Nebraska Cavalry and remained in active service
until July 1, 1866. His career since coming-, to Dakota is best shown
by his own words, copied from the Valley Spring's Vidette March 4,
1893, where he says: "I came to this section in the spring- of 1873.
I homesteaded 160 acres, and took up a tree claim of 160; and later
obtained by purchase 720 acres more — 1040 acres in all. Have 700
acres under fence, with three g-ood dwelling- houses, barns and out-
building-s on the same. With the exception of the g-rasshopper year,
I have always had g-ood crops. What I own, I have accumulated
rig-ht here in Minnehaha county." In 1878. he was elected county



816 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



commissioner and served in that capacity for three years. He re-
sides on the northeast quarter of section 34, in Brandon, and is an
enterprising- and hig-hly respected citizen. His son Elbert O. Jones
is one of the promising- young- lawyers of Sioux Palls, and is practic-
ing- law in partnership with B. C. Matthews.

Lathrop, W. I., was born in Illinois, October 18, 1863. He re-
moved with his parents to Michig-an, where he resided for about four
years, and in the spring- of 1873, located in this county. His father,
T. I. Lathrop, secured 240 acres of land by homestead and tree-claim
filing-s in sections 31 in Brandon, on which he erected fine farm build-
ing's, and eng-ag-ed in extensive farming- until his death, which oc-
curred a few years ag-o, when the subject of this sketch took charg-e
of the farm. He is a g-ood farmer and a g-ood citizen,

Lee, John T., was born in Christiania, Norway, February 11,
1855, and came to the United States with his parents in 1867. They
resided in Iowa three years, and removed to this county in June,
1870. When twenty-one years of ag-e the subject of this sketch pur-
chased a farm of 160 acres in sections 2 and 3, and also 80 acres
in section 1, in Split Rock, and eng-ag-ed in farming- until 1890, when
he removed to Brandon, where he eng-ag-ed in the mercantile busi-
ness until 18%. While a resident of Split Rock he was town clerk
two years and assessor seven years. After coming- to Brandon he
was appointed postmaster, which position he held while eng-ag-ed in
trade. In 1891 he was elected county commissioner from his dis-
trict, and re-elected in 1894-7, and has been chairman of the countv
board since January, 1893. He is at this writing- eng-ag-ed in buying-
g-rain at Brandon, and carrying- on his farm in Split Rock. He is
quite active in political matters, and an energ-etic, public-spirited
citizen. He is true to his friends and a companionable, all-around
g-ood fellow.

LiLLiHAVEN, GuNDER Olson, one of the first settlers of Bran-
don, was born in Norway in 1835. He lived in Illinois and Iowa
l)efore he came to this county in June, 1870, when he took up as a
homestead the southeast quarter of section 29 in Brandon, where
he and his wife still reside and have a g-ood farm.

Nelson, Ole, was born in Wermland, Sweden, December 29,
1861, and came to this country with his parents, stopping- with them
in Illinois; and after their coming- to this county has assisted his



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 74 of 99)