Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 75 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 75 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


father, Nels Olson, in taking- care of the farm in sections 26 and 27,
in Brandon, where he still resides with his famil3\ He has been
director of the school board several years, and was one of the super-
visors of the town l:>oard in 1897; is a g-ood farmer and a g-ood citizen.

Neeson, Engebret, was born in Bergen, Norway, April 12,
1835. He emigrated to the United States in 1864, lived in Wisconsin
four years, in Iowa six years, and came to Dakota in 1874, when he
took up his present homestead in sections 33 and 34 in Brandon,
which is now a g-ood farm. He is an industrious farmer and a good
citizen.




John T. Lee.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 819



Nordstrom, John S., has been a well-known resident of this
county since 1874, when he came here from Illinois, where he had
lived since coming- to the United States in 1871. He was born Octo-
l)er 19, 1845, in Sweden. He lives on his homestead, the northeast
([iiarter of section 19 in Brandon, and has a (Jfood farm. He has been
a member of the school board, is a thrifty farmer and a o-ood citizen.

Olson, Allen, was born in Norway, September 24, 1843. He
came to the United States July 3, 1869, and located in Iowa. Six
years later he removed to Dakota, and settled in this county on the
2()th of October, 1875, taking up as a homestead the south half of the
northwest quarter and the north half of the southwest quarter of
section 24 in Brandon, where he still resides, and has a well im-
proved farm and a large live stock. He has been director of the
school board.

Olson, Nels, was born in Wermland, Sweden, December 15,
1812. He emigrated to the United States in 1870, and lived in
Illinois two years. In 1872 he removed to Dakota and settled in this
county, taking- up a homestead in sections 26 and 27 in Brandon,
where he still resides. He also took up a tree claim, but disposed of
it to one of his sons. He has several well-to-do sons in this county
who have g-ood farms and are enterprising-, g-ood citizens; one of
them, Nels Nelson Graff, being- the first permanent settler in Bran-
don township.

Olson, O. D. J., was born in Mora, Sweden, October 7, 1834.
He lived in Illinois and Iowa before he settled in Dakota in 1872. He
came first to Sioux Falls, then a small villag-e, but shortly after
took up as a homestead the south half of the southeast quarter of
section 2, and the north half of the northeast quarter of section 11,
in Brandon, where he now lives. He has a g-ood farm and is a g-ood
citizen.

Peterson, Lewis, is a native of Sweden, and was born Decem-
ber 16, 1841. He emigrrated to the United States in 1871, lived in
Michig-an a short time, then at Lockport, 111., and came to Sioux
Falls on the 23d day of April, 1873, tog-ether wnth sixteen other ])er-
sons, also from Lockport, who all settled in Brandon. On the first
day of May, following-, he made a homestead filing- on the northeast
([uarter of section 10, and in March, 1874, he took up as a tree claim
the northwest quarter of the same section. In 1874 he built a stone
house on his homestead, which was the first in the county outside
of the city of Sioux Falls, and can still be seen on the farm, althoug-h
it is no long-er used as a residence, there being- now a large two-story
frame house for that purpose. Mr. Peterson has been a very in-
dustrious man, and has one of the best improved farms in the county,
having- not less than thirty acres of trees, all set out by himself, a
very fine orchard, and substantial building-s. In addition to caring-
forhis farm he has done considerable work as a stone mason. He
was foreman of the stone work when the penitentiary w^as erected,
has built three stone dams across the Sioux river, and the abutments
and piers for the Tenth street bridge in Sioux Falls, and several
other large jobs of work in this line. Mr. Peterson has been chair-



820 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



man of the town board in Brandon two years, is one of the well fixed
farmers of that township, and is a good neit^hbor and citizen.

Peterson, Nels, is another Swedish farmer who has lived in
the county since 1883. He has a good farm on the south half of the
northwest quarter of section 36, where he resides eng-aged in farm-
ing. He was born in 1836.

RiSTY, GuLLiCK O., one of the hrst settlers of Brandon, is a
native of Norway, and was born October 14, 1832. He emigrated to
the United States, lived in Iowa for some time, and came to Dakota
in 1870. At that time he took up a homestead and pre-emption in
sections 32 and 33 in Brandon, to which he has since added by pur-
chase several hundred acres of land, and has a verv fine farm. Mr.
Ristv is one of the prosperous, reliable farmers of the county, and is
a good citizen.

RiSTY, A. Ct., was born in Norway, in 1855, and emigrated to
this country with his father Gullick O. Risty, and settled in Bran-
don. He owns several hundred acres of land, and resides on the
southwest quarter of section 33, and has a good farm with more than
ordinary improvements. He has held various town oifices, and in
November, 1896, was elected to the House of Representatives, and
re-elected in 1898. He is highly esteemed as a neighbor and citizen.

Sorenson, Iver, was born in Norway, December 18, 1843. He
came to the United States in 1869 and lived in Wisconsin until 1874,
when he came to this county and filed a pre-emption on the north
half of the southwest quarter and the north half of the southeast
quarter of section 1, in Brandon. It is now a well cultivated farm,
and he is still living there with his family.

Studeen, Peter, a native of Sweden, was born in 1835. He
emigrated to the United States and lived in Missouri until he came
to Dakota and settled in this county in 1877. He filed a homestead
on the southeast quarter and the southwest quarter of the northeast
([uarter of section 12, in Brandon, where he has since resided. He
is an industrious and contented farmer, and a good citizen.

SwENSON, Erik, is a native of Sweden, and was born June 8.
1819. He emigrated to the United States in 1862, and lived in
California, Mississippi and Illinois until in 1876, when he settled
down in Dakota, and has been a well known resident of this county
ever since. He took up the southwest quarter of section 4, in Bran-
don, where he resides. He also owns lots and houses on First and
Second avenues in the city of Sioux Palls.

SwENSON, Charles, a son of Erik Swenson, was born June 20,
1856. He took up as a homestead the west half of the southwest
(juarter of section 15, in Brandon, but at the present writing lives
with his father on section 4.

Swenson, Nels, is a native of Sweden, and was born in 1845.
He emigrated to the United States, and lived in Iowa, Missouri and
Kansas before he came to Dakota in 1873. At that time he entered
a homestead and pre-emption on the south half of section 9, in Bran-
don, where he resided until in 1893, when he was accidentally killed.
He held the office of town supervisor, and was a good citizen,'



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 821



SwENSON, Peter J., was born in Sweden, June 4, 1847. After
his C()min,£»- to this country in 1869 he lived in Illinois and Mississip])!,
;in(l came to Minnehaha county March 28, 1874. He took u]) as a
homestead the northeast quarter of section 5. where he still resides,
rind l)ouo-ht the northwest quarter of section 4 in Brandon, and the
south half of the southeast quarter of section 33 in Edison. He was
OIK' of the supervisors of the town board in Brandon in 18*)5, is a
Ihriftv, industrious farmer, and a g'ood citizen.

Thoreson, Borger, w^as born in Norway, Auo-ust 24, 18()1, and
came to the United States with his parents in 1868, and located in
b^illmore countv, Minnesota. In 1873 thev removed from there to
Dakota, and took upas a homestead the southeast quarter of section 14
in Brandon, to which the subject of this sketch has added bv purchase
forty acres adjoining-, and has a g-ood farm. He has held the offije
of school treasurer, is an enterprising-, intellig'ent farmer, and a g-ood
citizen.

Valgren, Hans Peter, is a native of Halland, Sweden, and was
born on the 28th day of May, 1843. He eng-ag-ed in farming- for ten
years in his native country, and emigrated to the United States in
1882, and settled in Minnehaha county. He boug-ht a farm, on whicli
he resided until 1892, when he sold it, and boug-ht the southeast
(|uarterof section 13 in Brandon, where he has since resided, and
has a g-ood farm. He has been one of the trustees of the Swedish
Lutheran church for three years, and has been a director of the
school board for the same lengfth of time. His son is one of the com-
])etent teachers in Brandon township, and a young- man of g-ood ad-
dress and promising- future. They are both public-spirited men,
and good and respected citizens.

Wahlstrom, Nels, is a native of Sweden, and was born Sep-
tember 21, 1853. In 1878 he came to the United States, and settled
in Minnehaha county. He has a gfood farm on the northeast (quarter
of section 9 in Brandon, where he resides with his family, eng-ag-ed
in farming-. He formerly had a pre-emption consistinof of eig-hty
acres in Edison, but sold it. He is an industrious, thrifty farnuT,
and a respected citizen.

Wilson, Lars, came to the United States in 1868, and resided
in Illinois and Iowa until 1883, when he came to Dakota and settled
in this, county. He took up as a homestead the northeast quarter of
section 13 in Brandon, where he has since resided and has a g-ood
farm. He also owns about 400 acres of land in sections 11, 14, and
23, in the same township. He is an industrious farmer, an enter-
prising citizen, and is a native of Sweden where he was born Ma\-
30, 1833.



MAPLETON TOM NSHIP.

(102-49)

The boundary lines of Mapleton township were surveyed by W.
J. Neeley in July, 1859, and the subdivision was made by Carl C. P.
Meyer in September, 1864. According- to the g-overnment survey
the township contains 23,024.50 acres of land. It is well watered by
the Big- Sioux river, Slipup creek and their tributaries, and has con-
siderable bottom land, making- it as a whole one of the best town-
ships in the county. The first settlements were made in the north-
western portion of the township, the south half at that time being-
within the boundaries of the Military Reservation and not subject to
settlement. The first settler was John Nelson, who took up land in
section 25 in 1866. A post ofiice, called Republican, was established
in Mapleton township soon after the mail route opened between
Sioux Falls and- Dell Rapids. It was located on section 5, and John
Nelson was its first postmaster. In 1882, Ole Gunderson was ap-
pointed postmaster and he moved the office to the northwest corner
of section 8 where it remained for about twelve years, when Ole O.
Gilseth was appointed postmaster and removed the office to his home
on section 5 where it is located at this writing-. Owing to its prox-
imity to the city of Sioux Falls the inhabitants of Mapleton avail them-
selves of the advantag-es offered by the metropolis. The township
has no churches, public building-s or stores. The Milwaukee railroad
runs throug-h its entire leng-th north and south, and until a station
called Renner was established in 1898, on the southwest quarter of
section 9, there was no railroad station within its borders. The proper
records show there is a boundar}- line between Sioux Falls and
Mapleton townships, but so far as g-eneral business transactions of
the inhabitants of the tw^o townships are concerned its existence is
not recog-nized.

MAPLETON TOWNSHIP BOARD.

The records of Mapleton beg-in March 5, 1881, at which date
there was a meeting- of the township board at Ole Thompson's house.
C. G. Coats was chairman and associated with him as supervisors
were Iver Nelson and W. J. Crittenden. At this meeting- John
Fortune was appointed constable, L. Renner assessor, and C. Moen
was the first clerk.

1882. The supervisors were Iver Nelson chairman, Thomas
Paulson, Edgar Foster; C. Moen clerk; L. Renner assessor.

1883. Iver Nelson, Thomas Paulson and H. B. Caldw^ell com-
posed the board of supervisors; Ole Gunderson assessor and justice
of the peace. On the 26th day of May, O. P. Schjodt was appointed
clerk.



HiSTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 823



1884. At the first March election of township officers the fol-
low! no- persons were elected: Supervisors, Thomas Paulson chnir-
nian, Iver Nelson, L. Renner; clerk, O. P. Schjodt; treasurer, (i. ( >.
Dalemoe; justice, E. J. Kin«>-sbury; assessor, Ole (runderson; con-
stables, James Delanv, John Fortune.

1885. Supervisors, Thomas Paulson chairman, Ivor Nelson, \..
Renner; clerk, O. P. Schjodt; treasurer, (t. (). Dalemoe; assessor.
K. J. Kino-sbury.

1886. The record was so incomplete for this year that it was
impossible to ascertain who the town officials were.

1887. Supervisors, L. Renner chairman, John Fortune,
Thomas Paulson; clerk, O. P. Schjodt; treasurer, Jonas Olson; as-
sessor, Ole Gunderson; justices, H. Tabor, E. J. Kino-sbury; con-
stable, E. E. Moen. June 27, S150 was appropriated and turned over
to Iver Nelson to aid in building" a bridg-e across the Sioux river.

1888. Supervisors, L. Renner chairman, John Fortune, Thomas
Paulson; clerk, O. P. Schjodt; treasurer, Jonas Olson; assessor, Ole
Gunderson; justice, E. J. King-sbury; constables, David Dickev, T.
Hackett.

1889. Supervisors, L. Renner chairman, Thomas Paulson, Iver
Nelson; clerk, O. P. Schjodt; treasurer, Jonas Olson; assessor, Ole
Gunderson; justice, H. Tabor; constable, A. J. Aspaas. It was re-
solved "that every taxpayer in the township shall be his own ])oiin(l-
m aster."

1890. Supervisors, Thomas Paulson chairman, L. Renner, Ole
Gunderson; clerk, O. P. Schjodt; treasurer, Jonas Olson; assessor,
Peter Nelson; justice, Ole Gunderson; constables, Wm. Person,
Esten E. Moen.

1891. Supervisors, J. L. Ing-alls chairman, T. I. Sweeting-, H.
Tabor; clerk, R. M. Seag-er; treasurer, R. B. Sealer; assessor, John
Fortune; justices, J. Smith Kirk, M. Caldwell; constables, David
Dickey, H. Hackett. April 4, a township meeting was held at the
Ing-alls school house for the purpose of considering- the question of a
resurvey of the township, and the following- resolution was intro-
duced and voted upon by ballot: "Resolved that the township be re-
surveyed in accordance with the orig-inal plat, and each section be re-
surveyed; that the county surveyor be employed to do the work and
that the money be raised to cover the expenses." The vote was in
the affirmative. Another meeting- was held June 24, when it was de-
termined that the section corners upon the higfhways should be lo-
cated and landmarks erected at such corners as provided in sections
2 and 3 of chapter 35 of the session laws of 18%; that the surveyor
make a leg-al survey in accordance with the provisions of said chapter
35, and relocate and establish the section and quarter section co^rners
throug-hout the township as orig-inally established by the United
States survey, and that cedar posts be used in marking said corners.
Julv 7, the board resolved that the noxious weed law should be en-
forced and that all Russian thistle, cockle burr and Canada_ thistle
within the township should be destroyed before Augfust 15, 18*)1,
and that notices of the action of the board should be published as re-
quired by law.



824 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



1892. Supervisors, J. L. Ing-alls chairman, H. Tabor, T. J.
Sweeting-; clerk, R. M. Seag-er; treasurer, R. B. Seag-er; assessor,
Andrew Brende; justice, W. Bliss. At this election there were 101
ballots cast. On the 9th day of February, 1893, the township was
divided into six road districts.

1893. Supervisors, E. Cornue chairman, Jonas Olson, Iver Nel-
son; clerk, R. M, Seag-er; treasurer, R. B. Seag-er; assessor, A. P.
Brende; justices, J. Smith Kirk, L. O. Myrick; constables, James
Delaney, Walter Hayw^ard.

1894. Supervisors, Edgar E. Cornue chairman, Jonas Olson,
Iver Nelson; clerk, R. M. Seag-er; treasurer, R. B. Seag-er; assessor,
Andrew Brende.

1895. Supervisors, Edg-ar E. Cornue chairman, Jonas Olson,
Iver Nelson; clerk, R. M. Seag-er; treasurer, Esten E. Moen; as-
sessor, Andrew Brende.

1896. Supervisors, L. Renner chairman, Jonas Olson, Iver
Nelson; clerk, R. M. Seag-er; treasurer, E. E. Moen; assessor, O.
P. Schjodt.

1897 and 1898. Same officers as in 1896.

1899. Supervisors, L. Renner chairman, Esten E. Moen, Jonas
Olson; clerk, R. M, Seag-er; treasurer, Torsten Olson; assessor, O.
P. Schjodt.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

Berg, Jens S., a native of Norway, was born May 29, 1837. He
emig-rated to the United States in 1865, and settled in Minnesota.
On the 26th day of July, 1869, he arrived in this county and settled
in Mapleton. He took up the southeast quarter of section 30, where
he has since resided. He has a g-ood farm, and is a respected citi-
zen and w^ell liked by his neig-hbors.

Berg, Sivert, is a native of Norway, and was born March 3,
1823. He emig-rated to the United States in 1867, and settled in
Minnesota for a short time. From there he removed to Mapleton,
this county, and took up the west tier of forties in section 29, where
he has since resided. He has a g-ood farm and is an industrious,
g-ood citizen.

Dickey, David, was born at White Pig-eon, Michig-an, December
5, 1843. He resided in the Pennsylvania oil reg-ions several years,
then went to Iowa where he resided four years and removed from
there to this county in 1879. He owns a farm of 200 acres in sec-
tions 18, 19 and 20, in Mapleton, where he has resided several years.
He has held school and township offices, and is a hig-hly respected
citizen.

Dowdle, William, was born in Ireland, in October, 1828, and
emig-rated to the United States in 1845. He resided for awhile in
Pennsylvania, and then came to Minnesota where he remained twentv-
iive years. In March, 1878, he removed to McCook county, this state,
and took up a pre-emption and homestead. In 1883 came to this
county and settled in Mapleton, where he soon became the owner of
a large farm, and at the present writing there is nothing- to indicate
that he will not be able to care for himself for a long- time to come.




OLE GUNDKRSON.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 827



Eggen, Esten E., a native of Norway, was born in 1830. He
emio-rated with his family to Goodhue county, Minnesota, in 18()5,
and resided there until in 1871, when they decided to remove to Da-
kota. Thev started out across the prairie with an ox-team, and it
took them sixteen days before they reached this county. They lo-
cated in Mapleton on their present homestead in sections 31 and 32,
which is now a well improved farm, with a lar^-e residence and Liood
outbuilding-s. Mr. Eg-g-e is a good farmer and a g-ood citizen.

Erickson, Erick, was born in Sweden, but emigrated to the
United States, and located in Mapleton, July 6, 1871. He secured
considerable land in sections 19, 20 and 30, and resided on his farm
until his decease. On the 12th day of January, 1888, he went to a
havstack in his field to g-et a load of hay, but was overtaken by the
terrible blizzard that occurred on that day, and was frozen to death.
His body was not found for several days. He was a g-ood citizen and
well liked by his neig-hbors. At the time of his decease he was
about 70 years of ag-e.

GiLSETH, Ole Olson, one of the pioneer farmers of this county,
was born in Norway, November 18, 1844. He emig-rated to the
Ignited States and lived in Goodhue county, Minnesota, until the fall
of 1866, when he and John J. Aasen, Jr., concluded to join their
friends John Thompson and John Nelson, who had settled in the
Sioux Vallev in Dakota, during^ the spring- of that year. An account
of their perilous trip appears in the chapter devoted to reminiscences.
Mr. Gilseth took up land in section 5, in Mapleton, and in section 31,
in Sverdrup, to which he has since added by purchase, and now has
a g-ood farm of nearly 300 acres, with substantial building-s and im-
provements. He has been postmaster of the Republican post ollice
for several years, and has also held the office of school district treas-
urer. He is an industrious farmer and a respected citizen.

GuNDERSON, Ole, is a native of Norway, and was born July 22,
1852. He emig-rated to Minnesota in 1866,"'and in July the following-
year came to Mapleton, and took up a homestead of 160 acres in sec-
tions 7 and 8, and eng-ag-ed in farming-. He has added to his orig^inal
farm nearly 300 acres in section 8, and also owns 200 acres elsewhere
in the county. In 1882 he was appointed postmaster of the Republi-
can post office, which position he held until 1894. He has been jus-
tice of the peace, assessor, and supervisor and clerk of the town
board, and held some of these offices for several successive years.
He has also been a director in the Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance
Company located in this county. Few farmers have been more in-
dustrious than Ole Gunderson," and his intercourse with his neig-h-
bors has been of such a clmracter that no one of them would envy his
prosperity, and all would reg-ret any adversity that migfht overtake
him. It IS not too much to say that he is one of the most sturdy, re-
liable citizens in the county.

Hayward, Reuben W., was born at Washing-ton, Washing-ton
county, Vermont, in 1844; was raised on a farm, and attended dis-
trict schools. On the 8th dav of Otcober, 1861, he enlisted in Co. E,
First Vermont Cavalry, and served until November 10, 18(o; was



828 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



wounded in the battle of Winchester, and also in the battle of Gettys-
burtjf; was taken prisoner twice but g-ot away both t'imes, after being-
in captivity two days on the first occasion, and one week the second
time. After the war he boug-ht a farm in Vermont and eng-ag-ed in
farming- five years; then sold out and went to Colorado, and worked
at the mason's trade four years in Denver, and at freig-hting- and
mining- four years; then left Colorado, and went to San Francisco,
where he remained six months, and then took a trip to Boston for a
few months; in 1882 he returned to the West, reaching- Sioux Palls
on the 7th day of April that year, where he decided to locate. He
eng-ag-ed in farming- on section 16 in Mapleton, and when the school
land was opened up for sale he boug-ht a quarter section from the
county and resides there at the present time. He is a thrifty, enter-
prising farmer, has a g-ood farm, and is a g-ood citizen.

HuNTEMER, John, was born in Potosi, Grant county, Wisconsin,
March 15, 1850. At the ag-e of fourteen years and seven months he
enlisted in the First Wisconsin Cavalry, and w^as one of those who
helped capture Jeff Davis, and was paid S300 of the reward offered
for his capture. He came to Sioux Palls with his brother William
on the 16th day of April, 1871, and took up the southwest quarter of
section 15 in Mapleton, where he resided for about five years when
he sold out. He then went to Dell Rapids and built a hotel of which
he was the landlord for about three years, when he sold out and re-
moved to Madison, Lake county, this state, where he still resides.
He enjoys the honor of being- the young-est person who enlisted and
served during- the war of the rebellion from the State of Wisconsin.

Ingalls, James L., was born at Alleg-any, New York, May 9,1838.
He received a common school education, and engag-ed in farming- in
his native state, Illinois, and Iowa until 1878, when he removed to
this county and located in Mapleton in May of that year. He took
up a homestead in section 23, where he has since resided. In addi-
tion to his homestead of 160 acres he has purchased adjoining- land
and his home farm now comprises about 700 acres. He has other
farms and farm lands in the county, so that in the ag-greg-ate he owns
upwards of 1,500 acres. For the last few years he has been engaged
on quite an extensive scale in the manufacture of cheese, and has
made a success of the business. He is a very industrious, hard-
working man, and has been honored by his fellow townsmen by his
election to important town offices. During the time of the resurvey
of the township, he was chairman of the board of supervisors, and
made a good official. He is a g-ood neighbor and a good citizen.

Krogstad, Iver J., was born in Norw\ay January 12, 1831. He
emigrated to Goodhue county, Minnesota, resided there for two
years and came to Dakota and"^ settled in this county June 28, 1868,
at which time his neigbors were few and far between. He made a
homestead entry upon the southwest quarter of section 5, in Maple-



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 75 of 99)