Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 77 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 77 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


quarter of section 18, and as a homeslead the northeast quarter of
the same section, where he resides. He has a good farm well im-
proved, is a thrifty industrious farmer, and a respected citizen.

Baker, John A., was born in Norway July 28, 1861, and emi-
g-rated to this country with his father, Andrew A. Baker. He lived
with his parents in Wisconsin and Iowa, and came with them to this
county in the fall of 1874. He now owns the southeast quarter of
section 7 in Benton, and has a good farm. He has been school clerk
in district No. 93, and is a good citizen.



842



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Christianson,Chris, isa native of Den mark, and was born in 1844.
He emig-aated to the United States and located in Michig-an, On the
12th day of Aug-ust, 1871, he came to Dakota, and took up as a home-
stead the southeast quarter of section 1 in Benton, and a pre-emption
in section 6 in Mapleton, making- in all about 327 acres of land, which
is now under g-ood cultivation. He resides with his family on the
homestead, and, to use his own words, his improvements will show
the following" "six boys and one g"irl, all born in Minnehaha county,
a two-story dwelling- house with basement, barn and other building's
necessary on a farm." He also said "the times were hard when we
had to g-o to Nebraska for flour, Sioux City for groceries, and to
Worthing-ton with what wheat the g-rasshoppers left." He has held
township offices, and is an enterprising- and well-known citizen.




Farm Residence of Chris Christiansun.



Clarkson, Charles Henry, was born in Iowa in 1871, and
l)ecame a resident of this county in 1873. A few years ag-o he
boug-ht 40 acres of land in section 3 in Benton, where he now re-
sides, eng-ag-ed in farming-.

Crooks, D. O., a brother of W. A. Crooks, was born in Canada.
November 30, 1855. The following- year he came with his parents to
the United States and settled in Wisconsin. They removed from
there to Iowa, and in 1873 the subject of this sketch came to this
county. He filed a pre-emption on the southwest quarter of section
2, in Benton township. He also owns the northwest quarter of sec-
tion 10, and has a g-ood farm. He has been treasurer of his school
district for the last twelve years, and a member of the town board
of supervisors since 1892. 'Recently he opened a general store at his




W. A. Crooks.



V



^



^



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 845



place, and is doing- a ^ood 1:)nsiness. He is a good neigiibor and a re-
spected citizen.

Crooks, W. xV., a native of Canada, was born October 22, 18-I-9.
He came to the United States with his parents in 1856, and settled
in Wisconsin. During- the civil war he enlisted in the army and
served in Company K, 40th Wisconsin, and in Company A, 49th
Wisconsin. After the war he located in Iowa, and came from there
to this county in November, 1876. He took up a homestead and tree
claim in section 3 in Benton, where he has since resided and has a
good farm. He has been assessor of Benton township, and always
takes an active part in town affairs; was postmaster of New Hope
post office for several years; serg-eant at arms of the house of repre-
sentatives of the leg-islature of South Dakota in 1893, and a member
of the same body in 1895. He is an enterprising- citizen and higfhh-
respected.

Darrow, Erastus H., was born at La Porte, Indiana, July 3,
1845. He removed to Wisconsin, and in November, 1861, enlisted at
Ripon, Wis., in Company H, 1st Wisconsin Cavalry. During- the
service one of his arms was fractured, and he received several slight
wounds, and in January, 1863, was discharg-ed for disability. In
January, 1864, he re-enlisted in Company D, 3d Wisconsin Infantry,
and remained until the close of the war. In June, 1872, he came to
Dakota and located in this county upon his present homestead, the
northeast quarter of section 23 in Benton township. Mrs. Darrow
taug-ht school in the barracks at Sioux Palls in the early days, and
later in Benton and Sioux Palls townships. Mr. Darrow has held
several town offices, and he and his g-ood wife are now enjoying- life
on their well improved farm, hig-hly respected by all who know them.

Eldridge, J. C, is a native of Pranklin county, New York, and
was born October 28, 1844. He lived in Wisconsin for some time,
and came to Dakota and located in this county May 26, 1872. He took
up a homestead and tree claim in section 34 in Benton, and purchased
the southwest quarter of section 32 in the same township. He has a
comfortable home and a first-class farm, and is one of the most prom-
inent and enterprising- farmers in the county. He has always taken
an active interest in the welfare of his town, and has held several im-
portant town offices. He served as county commissioner of Minne-
haha county three years, made a g-ood official, and is hig-hly esteemed
as a neig-hbor and citizen.

Poster, John R., is a native of Upper Canada, and was born on
the 23d day of January, 1851. He came with his parents to Wisc(m-
sin in 1865, and lived there until in 1872, when they removed to Da-
kota, arriving- in Sioux Palls on the 3d da}^ of October of that year.
His father, Robert Poster, took up the northwest quarter of section
33, in Benton, and lived there until his death in October, 188(.. The
subject of this sketch took up a homestead in section 29, to which he
has since added about 240 acres of land by purchase. Mr. Poster re-
sides upon his father's old homestead. He is a g-ood farmer, an
oblig-ing- neig-hbor and a good citizen. Elsewhere appears an account
of the loss of a brother and sister of Mr. Poster in the terrible bliz-
zard in Januarv, 1873,



846 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Prebel, Frederick C, was born in Germany, October 27, 1836;
emig-rated to the United States in 1853, remained three months in
New York, and then went to Galena, 111., and worked in a wag-on
shop two years and from there went to Hazel Green CoUeg-iate Insti-
tute, taking- a classical course, and was graduated; became a member
of the faculty and taught German; in 1860, removed to Schullsburg-,
Wis., and went into business for himself manufacturing- carriages;
enlisted in Company C, 33d Wisconsin Infantry, and served until
the close of the war; then resumed his business at Schullsburg-, and
continued in it until 1879. In 1874, he bought the southeast quarter
of section 26 in Benton township in this county, and moved on to it
July 12, 1879, and farmed it until 1893, when he built a residence in
West Sioux Palls, where he now resides and is renting- his farm.
Mr. Prebel has held school offices, was a member of the town board
of Benton for several years, and three years its chairman. He is a
good neig-hbor and an esteemed citizen.

Predrickson, L. p., was born at Veile, Denmark, June 8, 1838.
When he first came to this country he lived in Illinois and Iowa, but
removed to this county March 17, 1884. He was the owner of 80
acres of section 16, and 80 acres of section 17, in the town of Benton,
where he resided until his death, which occurred very suddenly, July
25, 1895. He was a good farmer and a respected citizen.

Helgeson, Syver, was born in Norway in 1844, and came to
this country with his parents in 1849, and located in Wisconsin. In
1852 they removed to Iowa, where he worked on his father's farm
until 1867, when he found employment as clerk in a store, which po-
sition he held five years. In 1872 he came to Dakota and pre-empted
160 acres of land, and then returned to Iowa and worked for Niel-
ander & Brockhouse six years as clerk and grain buyer in the winter,
and in the summer represented the firm as ag-ent of the Diamond Jo
line of steamers. In 1878 he returned to Dakota and worked for C.
K. Howard as clerk in his store. In 1880 he went onto his farm of
240 acres in sections 13 and 14 in Benton, where he eng-ag-ed in farm-
ing until the fall of 1892, when he rented his farm and removed to
the city of Sioux Palls, where he has since resided. While a resi-
dent of Benton he was township clerk, and chairman of the town
board one year, and since residing- in Sioux Palls was jailer and
deputy sheriff under Sheriff Donahoe for nearly two years. He is a
respected citizen.

HoLST, Christian, is a native of Germany and was born Mav
23, 1863. He emig-rated to the United States, arriving- in New York
May 1, 1880, and immediately started for Dakota, where he arrived
May 4. He settled in Benton township, this county, and owns the
northwest quarter of section 7, where he resides, and has a good
farm.

Johnson, August, was born in Sweden, June 26, 1859. He came
to this country with his parents in 1875, and settled in this county.
He worked on his father's farm until 1880, at which time he proved
up as a homestead the southwest quarter of section 9 in Benton, and
resided there until his death, which occurred a few years ag-o. He




J. C. Eldridge.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COaNTV 849



was a g-ood farmer, and held various school offices in school district
No. 48 in Benton.

Johnson, August S., was born in Halland, Sweden, AutJ-ust 15,
18()6. In 1870 he and his mother emio-rated to the United States and
joined his father, Samuel Johnson, who had located in Lafayette
county, Wisconsin, two years previous. They resided there until
the fall of 1874, when they removed to this county and located on
the homestead which had been taken up during- the spring- of that
year. The subject of this sketch now owns the south half of the
southeast quarter of section 5, in Benton, where he resides and has
a good home. He has been supervisor of the town board in Benton,
and clerk four years of the Swedish Lutheran church, which is lo-
cated on his farm. He is a g-ood farmer and an uprig-ht citizen.

Johnson, Ben, was born in Sweden, January 4, 1844, attended
school and worked on a farm during- his minority, and then went to
Denmark, where he worked on a railroad four years, after which he
returned to Sweden for a short time. In 1870 he came to the United
States, and worked on a farm in Wisconsin nearly three years. On
the 20th day of April, 1873, he came to Sioux Falls, and very soon
after took up a claim comprising- the northwest quarter of section
11 in Benton, where he has since resided. He has added eightv
acres to his homestead, has a g-ood farm and is a g-ood citizen.

Johnson, Carl, was born in Sweden on the 28th dav of Sep-
tember, 1848. He received his education, and worked as a miller in
his native country until 1870, when he emig-rated to the United States
and located in Wisconsin. In 1873 he came to this county with his
brother Ben, and took up the southwest quarter of section 11 in
Benton, where he has since resided. He now owns 320 acres of farm
land, and is a gfood farmer. He has been a member of the town
board of supervisors since 1897, and is its present chairman. He is
an enterprising- and respected citizen.

Johnson, John P., is a native of Sweden and was born July 5,
1854. He emigrated to the United States in 1871, lived in Wisconsin
three years and settled in this county March 1, 1874. He took up as
a tree claim 160 acres of section 5, and as a homestead the northwest
quarter of section 6, in Benton, where he now lives and has a g-ood
farm. He has been town supervisor for several years, has held va-
rious school offices, and is an active and g-ood citizen.

Johnson, Magnus, is a native of Sweden, and was born August
28,1848. He emigrated to the United States in 1871, and lived in
Pennsylvania until 1876, when he removed to Dakota, arriving in this
county May 6, of that year. He took up as a homestead the east half
of the southeast quarter of section 6 in Hartford, and the west half
of the southwest quarter of section 6 in Benton, and has since pur-
chased 120 acres of farm land. He is a progressive farmer, and does
not conhne his farming to grain raising only, but keeps about twenty
cows and has quite a dairy business. His buildings are ample and
well adapted for mixed farming. He is a thoroughly good citizen.



850 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Johnson, Samuel, was born in the province of Halland, Sweden,
on the 19th day of May, 1832. He emig-rated to the United States in
1868, and located in Wisconsin. He removed from there to Dakota
in the spring- of 1874, and took up as a homestead the southeast quar-
ter of section 5, and thew^est half of the southwest quarter of section
4 in Benton, and in the fall of the same year broug-ht his family here,
and since then the}- have made their home on the homestead. He is
a g-ood farmer and a respected citizen.

KiCKLAND, Theodore, has been a resident of this county since
November, 1883. He was born in New York, October 6, 1839. ' When
the civil war broke out he enlisted in the 41st Ohio Infantry and
served four years and eleven months. He was taken prisoner, and
after having- spent eig-hteen days in Libbey prison succeeded in mak-
ing his escape, buying- the first g'uard's silence for fifteen dollars,
and hiding- and running- by the others. He traveled eig-hteen nig-hts
before he reached the Union lines. He was wounded in the battle
of Chickamaug-a by a bar of iron six inches long- and an inch thick,
which took off two iing-ers and entered his rig-ht breast; it was sup-
posed to be from a shell. After the war he lived in Wisconsin until
he removed to his present farm of 240 acres in sections 13 and 14 in
Benton, and eng-ag-ed in farming-. He has held the office of school
director in Benton, and is a g-ood and respected citizen.

Larson, Olaus, was born in Sweden in 1842, emig-rated to this
country in 1870, and settled in Pennsylvania. In 1876 he came to
Dakota and settled in this county on the northwest quarter of sec-
tion 3, in the town of Benton, which he filed upon as a homestead,
and where he still resides, and has a well improved farm. He is also
the owner of forty acres of section 4, in the same town.

LiFTO, Andrew, is a native of St. Lawrence county, New York,
and was born May 25, 1842. He worked in a saw mill at East Smith
Palls in Canada five years; then in a shing-le mill in New York; then
came West and lived in Grant county, Wisconsin, until 1872, when
he settled in this county. He secured by pre-emption the southwest
quarter of section 26 in Benton, where he has since resided eng-ag-ed
in farming-. He was constable two years and roadmaster one year.

Miller, Olaf Anderson, is a native of Sweden, and was born
April 18, 1840. He emig-rated to this country and settled in Penn-
sylvania until in 1879 when he removed to this county where he
has since resided. He is the owner of the east half of the south-
west quarter and the west half of the southeast quarter of section
6, in Benton, and has a g-ood farm.

Newkirk, L. a., was born in New York, October 24, 1847.
He lived in Michig-an and Wisconsin before he came to this countv
in 1876. He then took up the northeast quarter of section 21, as
a homestead, and the southeast quarter of the same section, in
Benton, as a tree-claim and now has a g-ood farm. He is an active
and well-known farmer; has held the office of supervisor and other
town offices and is an influential citizen. He now rents his farm and
resides in the city of Sioux Falls,



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY, 851



Nelson, Nels B., was born in Norway April 25, 1848, and emi-
orated to the United States with his parents in 1857. He resided
tor sixteen years in Wisconsin and Iowa. In 1873 he came to this
county, and secured as a homestead the northeast quarter of section
*) in Benton, where he resided until 1885 when he sold the farm and
removed to Sioux Palls. While residino- in Benton he was road
supervisor and chairman of the town board, and held school district
offices. In Aug-ust, 1894, he was appointed on the police ff)rce in the
city of Sioux Palls, which position he still holds, and makes a _!L;"ood
official.

Pe;arsc)N, John, is a native of Sweden, and was born July 28,
1857. He emigrated to the United States in 1876, and lived in La-
fayette county, Wisconsin, until the summer of 1882, when he re-
moved to Dakota and settled in this county, where he has since re-
mained. He owns about 260 acres of land in section 8 in Benton, and
also 40 acres of hay land in the northwest quarter of section 36, in
Grand ]\Ieadow. He resides on the northwest quarter of section 8,
in Benton, where he has a g-ood farm with substantial building-s and
improvements. He is a g-ood farmer and a g-ood citizen.

Pearson, Nels, a native of Sweden, was born January 24, 1842.
He emig-rated to this country in 1869 and located in Wisconsin. In
August, 1878, he came to Dakota, and has been a permanent settler
of this county ever since. He boug"ht and now owns the southwest
quarter of section 15 and the northeast quarter of section 16. He
has a g-ood farm and a comfortable home for himself and family,
and is a g"ood citizen.

Peterson, Peter M., a native of Germany, was born in 1846.
He emig-rated to New York and lived there for some time before com-
ing to this county in 1876. He took up as a homestead the northeast
quarter of section 8, in Benton, where he still resides. He also owns
the southeast quarter of section 7, in the same town. He is a good
farmer and a good citizen.

RosTEN, Amond, is a native of Norway, and was l)orn JVIay 15,
1834. He emigrated to the United States in 1870, and settled in
Minnesota. In 1876 he removed from there to Dakota and located in
this county, taking up as a homestead the northeast (piarter of sec-
tion 11 in Benton, to which he has since added by purchasing the
southwest quarter of section 12. He has a good farm and is a re-
spected citizen.

Stapleton, Thomas, is a native of England, and was born July
24, 1849; emigrated to Wisconsin in 1871, and resided there ten
years. He came to this county in 1876, and purchased a quarter sec-
tion in Benton, and ag-ain, in 1880, visited the county and purchased
another quarter section in the same township. In 1881 he removed
to Benton, and has since resided on the southeast quarter of section
27. He has one of the largest farms in the county, having under cul-
tivation upwards of 700 acres. He is a progressive farmer, has fine
improvements, is energetic and enterprising-, and is highly esteemed
by all who know him. He was elected town treasurer in 1886, and
again in 1888, since which time he has held this office by successive
re-elections.



852 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



SwENSON, Henry, was born in Halmstad, Sweden, in 1S47. He
came to Dakota March 2, 1882, and has lived in this county ever since.
His homestead comprises 80 acres of section 4, and 80 acres of sec-
tion 5, in Benton. He has a o;ood farm and is a good citizen.

TiDEMANN, Hemming, a native of Norway, was born February 18,
1850, He emio-rated in 1875 and came direct to this county where he
still remains. He is the owner of the northeast quarter of section 2,
in Benton. He was clerk of the school board from 1800 to 1803, is a
ufood farmer and a good citizen,

TuTHiLL, John T., was born at Galena, Illinois, March 20, 1854.
He removed from there to Dakota in 1881 and settled on his present
farm, comprising 80 acres of section 27, and 80 acres of section 26, in
Benton, which is now well improved. He is a good farmer and a re-
spected citizen, and has held school district and township offices.

Ulvilden, Lars Olson, one of the first settlers of Benton, was
born in Norway in 1840. After coming to the United States he lived
in Michigan and Minnesota until 1870, when he removed to this
county. He took up as a homestead the northeast quarter of section
12, in Benton, where he has since resided and has a well improved
farm, with a fine residence and good outbuildings.

Wilkinson, Sever, is a native of Norway, and was born April
15, 1843. He came to the United States June 1, 1858, and lived in
Wisconsin until 1872, when he removed to Dakota and located in
Union countv. Three years later he removed to this county and
took up as a homestead the southwest quarter of section 8, in Benton,
and has a good farm, where he still resides. During the w^ar of the
rebellion he enlisted in the I5th Wisconsin Infantry, and served two
years. Since then he has been Captain of the state militia, and has
held several civil offices; w^as assessor in Union county, and held the
same office in this county before it was organized into townships;
was clerk of the school and town boards, and a member of the house
of representatives of the first legislature of the State of South Da-
kota. Mr. Wilkinson is a good neighbor, and a highh^ esteemed and
influential citizen.



HAKTFOKD TOW NSKll^.

(102-51)

The boundary lines of this township were surveyed by Wm. J.
Neeley in Auo-ust, 1850, and the subdivisions were made by H. T,
.Vustin in June, 1867, and according- to the grovernment survey con-
tains 22,057.32 acres of land. It is well watered by the Skunk creek
and its tributaries. Except during- a series of dry seasons there are
two ponds of water about two miles from the villag-e of Hartford, one
in a northwesterly and the other in a southwesterly direction. Sam-
uel Huckins, J. Westley AVarner, and F. E. Van De Mark were
among- the earliest settlers, but in 1878, quite a larg-e number of peo-
ple took up land in this township, and it was rapidly settled. In
1879 the Worthing-ton & Sioux Palls railroad was built west from
Sioux Palls to Salem, and a station was established at Hartford on
the southwest quarter of section 22. This companv filed a plat of
eig-htblocks at this point June 29, 1881, andsincethen several additions
have been made. The settlement about the station soon took the
form of a villag-e, and it became quite a business center. A post
office was established, and A. P. Oaks was postmaster the first four
years, when he was succeeded by John Mundt. Stores, hotels,
g-rain warehouses, and all kinds of business usually eng-ag-ed in in
villag-es of this kind rapidly appeared. John Mundt, in 1892, built an
elevator with a capacity of 35,000 bushels. The same year the Hart-
ford Separator and Creamery company was incorporated, and about
S7,500 of the capital stock taken, a creamery built, and business com-
menced in the fall of 1892. In 1893 this companv paid its patrons
for milk S8,585.47, and received for butter sold 811,398.34, averag-ing-
about 22 cents per pound. This creamery is still doing- business.
The first school in Hartford was taught by Delia Delane}^ in 1878, in
a school house located on the northeast corner of section 23, and is
the same school house which is now located on the northeast quarter
of section 24. In June, 1892, E. C. Kibbe commenced the publica-
tion of a weeklv newspaper called the Plain Talker. In 1898, (jeorg-e
W. Bag-ley published the South Dakota Weekly Vindicator for a
short time at this place. In 1899 a larg^e, commodious school house
was erected which does g-reat credit to the people of Hartford.

HARTPORD TOWNSHIP BOARD,

On the 3d day of January, 1881, the first meeting-of the board was
held. The first supervisors were, Samuel Huckins chairman, W. J.
Warner and Ira Tilden; clerk, C. A. Soderberg-.

1882. Supervisors, Samuel Huckins chairman. Prank E. Van



854 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



De Mark, C. W. Knodt; clerk, A. F. Oaks; treasurer, John Miindt;
assessor, C. A. Norton, who was paid S24 for assessinjsf the town-
ship.

1883. The officers of 1882 were re-elected.

1884. Supervisors, Samuel Huckins chairman, P. E. Van De
Mark, C. W. Knodt; clerk, A. P. Oaks; treasurer, John Mundt; as-
sessor, P. P. Sherman; justices, Samuel Huckins, C. A. Soderbero-;
constable, Peter Chelius. A. B. Jones was appointed justice in
place of C. A. Soderberg- who did not qualify.

1885. Supervisors, C. W. Knodt chairman, Samuel Huckins,
Peter Chelius; clerk, A. P. Oaks; treasurer, John Mundt; assessor,
P. P. Sherman; justices, E. I. Oaks and P. E. Van De Mark; con-
stables, M. Caldwell, H. S. Gerkin.

1886. Supervisors, C. W. Knodt chairman, Thomas Rickard,
C. A. Norton; clerk, Charles Peyder; assessor, P. P. Sherman.

1887. Supervisors, Thomas Rickard chairman, M. K. Thrall,
Samuel Huckins; clerk, Charles Peyder; treasurer, H. D. Oaks; as-
sessor, C. W. Knodt; justices, E. I. Oaks, C. W. Wehler; constables,
M. H. Caldwell, Peter Chelius.

1888. Supervisors, Thomas Rickard chairman, M. K. Thrall,
Samuel Huckins; clerk, Charles Peyder; treasurer, H. D. Oaks; as-
sessor, C. W. Knodt. At the annual election 64 votes were cast.

1889. Supervisors, M. H. Caldwell chairman, P. E. Van De-
Mark, Samuel Huckins; clerk, Charles Peyder; treasurer, H. D.
Oaks; assessor, C. W. Knodt; justices, E. I. Oaks and E. T. Dilla-



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 77 of 99)