Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 78 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 78 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


bougfh; constables, K. C. Cook, Peter Menth. At the annual election
101 votes were cast.

1890. Supervisors, P. P. Van De Mark chairman, M. H. Cald-
well, C. W. Knodt; clerk, Charles Peyder; treasurer, H. D. Oaks;
assessor, John Lantrey.

1891. Supervisors, Samuel Huckins chairman, C. W. Knodt,
G. P. Chisholm; clerk, Charles Peyder; treasurer, H. D. Oaks; as-
sessor, John Lantrey; justices, E. I." Oaks, N. N. Haug-en; constables,
Peter Menth, Edward Linebeck.

1892. Supervisors, M. H. Caldwell chairman, P. E. Van De-
Mark, Prank Gillen; clerk, Charles Harm; treasurer, H. D. Oaks;
assessor. Mat Becker; constable, J. G. Tyler. March 29, N. N.
Hauo-en was appointed clerk, Charles Harm not qualifying-.

1893. Supervisors, M. H. Caldwell chairman, John Hoefert,
P. E. Van De Mark; clerk, Nels Haug-en; treasurer, H. D. Oaks; as-
sessor, B. P. Parker; justices, Nels Haug-en, E. I. Oaks; constables,
E. Linebeck, N. P. Nelson. It was voted that a compensation of $2
per day be paid to the town officers for official services. Quite a
number of meeting's were held by the board during- this yearln ref-
erence to bridges, nuisances and quarantines. On Aug-ust 14, John
G. Tyler was appointed justice to fill the vacancy occasioned bv the
resig-nation of Nels Haug-en.

1894. Supervisors,' M. H. Caldwell chairman, John Hoefert,
P. E. Van De Mark; clerk, Nels Haug-en; treasurer, H. D. Oaks; as-
sessor, L. P. Bavard; justice, John G. Tyler. At a special town
meeting May 19, it was ordered that $900 be raised bv tax for town
purposes.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 855



1895. Supervisors, C. A. Norton chairman, Carl Hoefert, S. P.
Bowers; clerk, Nels Hang-en; treasurer, H. 1). Oaks; assessor, L. P.
Bayard.

1890. Supervisors, S. P. Bowers chairman, C. A. Norton, Carl
Hoefert; clerk, Nels Haug-en; treasurer, H. D. Oaks; assessor, L. P.
Bayard.

1897. Supervisors, C. A. Norton chairman, C. J. Mahl, Joe
Scott; clerk, M. H. Caldwell; treasurer, Nis Bv,g; assessor, J. M.
Bennett.

1898. Supervisors, C. J. Mahl chairman, Joe Scott, Harvey
Van Vleet; clerk, C. A. Soderbero-; treasurer, Nis Bvg-; assessor,
E. I. Oaks.

1899. Supervisors, John Wilder chairman, Joe Scott, John
Hoefert; clerk, C. A. Soderberg-; treasurer, Nis Bvgf; assessor,
Charles Mahl; justices, J. G. Tyler, Myron H. Caldwell; constables,
Nels Nelson, L. E. Newton.

TOWN OF HxVRTFORD.

In July, 18^)(), a petition was presented by the citizens of the
villaofe of Hartford to the county commissioners praying that an elec-
tion be ordered to determine the question of the incorporation of cer-
tain territory as the Town of Hartford. All the preliminarv pro-
ceeding's having- been complied with as required by law, the order
was made and an election held on the 1st day of Aug-ust, 18%. The
territory comprised the southwest quarter and the south half of the
south half of the northwest quarter of section 22 in Hartford town-
ship. Having- become incorporated the town was divided into three
districts. An election of officers was held on the 10th day of Sep-
tember, 18%, and the following- persons Avere elected: Trustees,
Charles Peyder president, George Grover, D. B. Oaks; clerk, Nels
Haug-en; treasurer, H. D. Oaks; assessor. Mat Becker; justice, B. P.
Parker. September 24, eig-ht ordinances were passed. December
21, B. P. Parker resig-ned as justice and L. P. Bayard was appointed
to fill vacancy.

1897. Trustees, John Mundt president, (leo. (rrover, C. W.
Knodt; clerk, Nels Haug-en; treasurer, H. D. Oaks; assessor and
justice, J. V. Jessen. April 29, the board fixed the amount to be
paid for license to sell intoxicating liquors in the town at S600. June
29, seven street lamps were purchased. September 7, Geo. Grover's
resig-nation as trustee was accepted. October 5, John McCrowan was
appointed trustee to fill vacancy.

1898. Trustees, Henry Scha^ier president, C. W. Knodt,
Charles Peyder; clerk, Nels Haug-en; treasurer, H. U. Oaks; asses-
sor and justice, J. V. Jessen.

1899. Trustees, C. W. Knodt president, John Mundt, H. D.
Oaks; clerk, Nels Haugen; treasurer, W. B. Knodt; assessor, J. M.
Bennett; justice, E. I. Oaks.



856 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Hartford Methodist Episcopal Church. — There was preich-
in^- bv Methodist ministers in Hartford and Benton at quite an earlv
date. The Rev. G. D. Hook, who was pastor of the Methodist church
at Sioux Palls in 1874, preached occasionally in sod houses in Benton,
Hartford and Wayne. Mrs. J. G. Tyler of Hartford in a recent in-
terview said that she remembered of attending- a Sunday school in
Daniel Leao's sod house in 1876, and the same year heard the Rev.
Ben B. Scott, a Methodist minister, preach in the house of Daniel
Alguire. The first Sunday school in Hartford was called the Union
Sunday school, but it finally became known as the Methodist Sunday
school. In 1882, a church org-anization was perfected, and from that
time until 1892, services were held in the school house. In 1890, the
Rev. W. O. Redfield was placed in charg-e, and was the first pastor
who resided in Hartford. He remained five years, and was well liked
by his parishioners. In 1892, the society erected in the villag-e of
Hartford a commodious church building-, with a seating- capacity of
about two hundred. A comfortable parsonag-e had been built pre-
vious to this time and the entire church property is valued at S3, 000.
The membership at the time the new church building- was occupied
was thirty-four. In October, 1895, the Rev. John Kay was appointed
pastor, and he remained in charg-e until October, 1898, when the Rev.
A. Jamieson succeeded him. The Sunday school now numbers about
one hundred and forty scholars. In connection with the church work
there is a Ladies' Aid society with about forty members, and it has
proved of material aid in a financial way. The W. C. T. U. has also
a strong org-anization among the members of this church. F. E. Van
De Mark, I. C. King-sbury, D. B. Oaks, J. G. Tyler, and Georg-e
Smith are the present trustees of the church.

St. George Church of Hartford. — St. Georg-e Church of the
Roman Catholic denomination was org-anized at Hartford in 1884. A
very appropriate church building- was erected in. 1885, and was the
first church building- erected in the township. It cost $1,800, and
the society raised the amount with the exception of $100. It is lo-
cated about eig-htv rods southeast of the railroad station. The Rev-
erends John Hogan, P. O. Connell, Thos. Cahill, J. C. Ahern, Thos.
Durward, Wm. Maher, L. Link, P. Grabig-, and J. O'Hora have ofii-
ciated as pastors since its org-anization. There is a Sunday school
and about forty families connected with the cong-reg-ation.

The Plain Talker and The Hartford Herald. — In June,
1892, the veteran newspaper man, E. C. Kibbe, came to Hartford,
and commenced the publication of the Plain Talker. It was pub-
lished weekly by the same editor until July 7, 1899. Everyone in this
vicinity knew there was such a newspaper as the Plain Talker from
the first to the last of its career. There was not an issue of the
paper but what Mr. Kibbe took occasion to discuss public questions
and public men in his own inimitable way, and sometimes it would
look to a disinterested person as thoug-h his earlv education had been
neglected in reference to the location of the belt'line. All the news-
paper fraternity in the county took occasion to tackle the Plain
Talker, and then Avished they had let it alone. It was a g-ood local



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



paper and knal to the interests of its subscribers. In July, IS*)'),
Mr. Kibbe sold the plant to Albion Thorne, of Sioux Palls, and re-
moved to the State of Washino-ton. Mr. Thorne at once commenced
the pul)lication of the Hartford Herald, its first issue appearing
on the Uth day of July, 189<). The people of Hartford have reason
to be more than pleased with the Herald, for Mr. Thorne is publish-
ini;- a j^-ood newspaper and is deserving- of a g^enerous patronage.

Woman's Christian Temperance Union. — This society has
an org'anization in Hartford which is in a fiourishin<>- condition. Its
members are zealous in their work, and their influence upon the
morals of the communitv is recoo^nized and appreciated bv the resi-
dents.

Hartford Lodge No. 125, I. O. O. P. — This lodge was insti-
tuted Pebruary 2, 1894. It is a strong- lodg-e for a town of the size
of Hartford. The present officers are Nels Haug-en, noble g-rand;
Prank Gillen, vice g-rand; John McCxowan, secretary; M. H. Dalev,
treasurer.

Ancip:nt Order of United Workmen. — Minnehaha Lodge,
No. 105, was org-anized several years ag-o and is a strong-, prosperous
lodge. It meets every Saturday evening-. C. W. Knodt is recorder.

Imperial Mystic Legion. — Warwick Castle No. 11, is another
l^rosperous orgfanization of the fraternal order in the town of Hart-
ford. C. P. Mundt is reg-ent and L. \. Kingsbury secretary and
treasurer.

Modern Woodmen of America.— Hartford Cam]i No. 3,*)()5, is
a fraternal order which has had an organization at the town of Hart-
ford during- the last two years. N. P. Nelson, V. C, Josci)h
Schwartz clerk.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

Bowers, Samuel P.. is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born
October 31, 1855. He resided in Minnesota for some time, and came
to this county in March, 1878, where he has since remained. His
homestead comprises the southwest quarter of section 9, in Hart-
ford, and is a g^ood farm. He has held several school offices, was
chairman of the town board of supervisors in 1896, He is a good
neig-hbor and a respected citizen.

Byg, N., was born in Germany, July 22, 1857. He emigrated to
the United States in 1876, and located in this county in July of that
vear. He took up as a homestead the southeast quarter of section 4,
and as a tree claim the northeast (Quarter of section 12, in Hartford.
He afterwards sold the homestead, and bought other land in sections
7 and 12, and now has a first-class farm of 480 acres, with fine build-
ings and improvements. He has been town treasurer since 1897, is
a thrifty, enterprising farmer, and a good citizen.

Caldwell, Clarence C, a son of George Caldwell, was born
in Wayne township, this countv, on the 2d da}' of Pebruary, 1877.
He owns a part of the northwest quarter of section 14, in Hartford.
In April 1895 he commenced teaching school, and since then has fol-
lowed this vocation and is considered one of the best and most com-
petent teachers in the county.



858 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Caldwell, Myron H., was born in Wisconsin on the 10th day
of December, 1853. He came to Minnehaha count}- June 15, 1871.
and took up a homestead in section 14, in Mapleton, and pre-empted
the northeast quarter of section 3, in Sioux Falls township, all of
which he sold. He boug-ht the west half of the southwest quarter of
section 10, in Benton, and also the east half of the southeast quarter
of section 24, in Hartford, where he now resides. He has held sev-
eral town offices, has been a member of the town board five years,
chairman three years, and has held school district offices for ten
vears. He is a o-ood farmer and a respected citizen.

Caldwell, Warren M., may justly be called a pioneer settler
of Minnehaha county, where he settled November 10, 1869, never
leaving- the state except to haul freio-ht in the early days. He was
born April 21, 1855, at Baraboo, Sauk county, Wisconsin. In 1878
he secured a homestead in section 10, in Hartford, where he resided
until about a year ao-o when he rented his farm and removed to Min-
nesota.

Cooke, W. W., was born in Indiana in 1852. He lived there and
in Wisconsin until 1878, when he removed to Dakota and settled in
this county. He tiled a homestead and tree claim in sections 2 and
11, in Hartford, and resided on his homestead in section 2 until a
few years ag-o, when he rented his farm and went to Wisconsin. He
was the first auditor of this county, being- appointed on the 5th day
of April, 1888, and served in that capacity until he was succeeded by
J. A. Stanfield in 1891. While residing- in the county he was quite a
factor in political matters.

Peyder, Charles, one of the active, enterprising* citizens of
Hartford, was born in Wisconsin, March 2, 1850, and came to Minne-
haha countv in 1881. He boug-ht a relinquishment to a tree claim in
Humboldt, but sold it, and has been in the hardware trade at Hartford
since 1883. He has been town clerk six years. He is a success-
ful merchant, a man of positive convictions, and takes a hand in
about everything- that comes along- affecting- town or county affairs.

Gerkin, Henry S., was born in Connecticut, September 9,
1855. He came to this county from Wisconsin in March, 1879, and
located in the town of Hartford, securing- a homestead on the north-
east quarter of section 22, where he still resides. He subsequently
purchased 80 acres of section 23, in the same town. He has been
constable for two years, and is a g-ood citizen.

Hanson, Gustaf, was born in Sweden, October 2, 1851. He
emigrated and came directly to Dakota and located in this county in
April, 1881. In 1884 he married Johanna Streiffert, and they reside
on their 80-acre farm in the southeast quarter of section one in
Hartford, where they have a neat little home. Mr. Hanson is a g-ood
neig-hbor and a respected citizen.

HucKiNs, Samuel, was born in Canada, of Vermont parentag-e,
on the 12th day of March, 1832. He was reared on a farm and edu-
cated in the common schools. In 1847 he came to the United States
and located in Illinois where he married in 1853, and resided for sev-



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 85*-)

eral years, and then removed to Howard county, Iowa. In 1864 he
enlisted in Company (t, 16th Iowa Infantry, and served durino- the
remainder of the civil war, heinjj- mustered out July 19, 18()5. He
was in the battle at Nashville, Tennessee, and other less important
enoao-ements, and as the reo-iment did a g^reat amount of marchin<,r
he had the opportunity of seeing- a o-ood deal of the South without
l)eino- to any expense for transportation. The latter part of Auo-ust,
18()9, he left Iowa for Dakota, and on the first day of September
of that year he arrived in Sioux Palls. There were but two fami-
lies in Sioux Falls at that time and they were occupying- the bar-
racks, which had been abandoned bv the soldiers a few months pre-
vious. D. B. Reynolds and family, and some sing-le men arrived at
Sioux Palls the same da}'. Mr. Huckins says that at that time thev
had to pay SI. 25 to SI. 50 for a pound of tea, 25 to 28 cents for bacon
and 13 to 17 cents for sug-ar at the Palls. In the spring- of 1870 Mr.
Hucking took up a homestead in sections 1 and 2 in Sioux Palls, and
commenced farming-, raising- grain and stock, in which he continued
until 1876, when becoming- discouraged, owing to the multitude of
g-rasshoppers that visited this section of the country and the limited
rang-e he had for his stock, he went to Hartford and pre-empted a
(juarter of section 11, whereat that time there was a g-reat amount
of hay and a wide range for stock, and continued farming at this
])lace until in 1889, when, owing- to poor health, he sold his farm,
and at this writing resides on a small farm about three miles north
of the village of Hartford. When the township of Hartford was
organized he was elected chairman of the town board of supervisors,
to which position he was re-elected during the three years succeed-
ing-, and again in 1891, having- served on the board nine years in all.
Mr. Huckins is not only a pioneer citizen of this county, but is one
of its most reliable citizens, and is universally respected l)y all who
know him.

Johnson, Anders, was born in Smaland, Sweden, August 19,
1844. He came to Minnehaha county July 27, 1887, and located on
his present place the northeast quarter of section 1, in the town of
Hartford, where he has a fine farm with substantial buildings, about
ten horses and thirty head of cattle. He also owns eighty acres of
land in section 36, (xrand Meadow.

KiBBE, Edgar C, was born May 4, 1848, at Clayton, Jefferson
county. New York. When five years of age he removed with his
parents to Wisconsin, and five years later they removed to Payette
county, Iowa, where he attended school and worked on the farm until
1864. At this time he went to St. Croix county, Wisconsin, where
for four years he taught school during the winters, and worked on a
farm the balance of the time. At the age of twenty years he engaged
as a bookkeeper for a manufacturing- company. In 1874 he went to
Prescott, Wisconsin, and boug-ht a newspaper plant, and for one
year edited and published at that place a weekly newspaper called
the Plain Dealer. In 1875 he sold out his newspaper and went to
Elroy, Wisconsin, where he soon after started a weekly newspaper
and continued in its manag-ement until January, 1881, when, becoming-



860 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



partially paralyzed, he sold out, and the month following- removed to
Bridgewater, McCook county, Dakota. He there started the Dakota
Cricket, the first newspaper published in McCook county. About
the 5th dav of Julv, 1882, having- removed to Montrose, McCook
countv, he established a weekly newspaper called the Montrose Ava-
lanche, which he edited and published for about two years, when he
retired from his chosen profession and moved on to a farm, where he
eng-ag-ed in farming, and in teaching" school. In 1890 he was given
control of the Pioneer Register at Salem, South Dakota, and con-
ducted its editorial columns for a few months during the political
campaign of that year. He then returned to his farm in Clear Lake,
where he remained until June, 1892, when he established a weeklv
newspaper at Hartford in this county, which was called the Plain
Talker, and of which he was the editor and proprietor until Julv,
1899. Mr. Kibbe is noted for his independent, fearless editorials
upon political matters, and his recent removal from the state has
caused a void in the editorial fraternity that will be hard to fill.

Kingsbury, I. C, was born at Monticello, White county, In-
diana, in 1851. He came to South Dakota in 1882, and eng-ag-ed in
the mercantile business at St. Lawrence, in Hand county, where
he was the first merchant. In 1886 he located at Hartford, this
county, and engaged in banking-. He is also larg-elv interested in
real estate transactions, is a successful business man, and an en-
terprising- and hig-hh^ respected citizen.

Kruger, Carl, is a native of Germanv, and was born July 7,
1833. After his coming to this country he lived in Clinton county,
Iowa, and in 1881 he removed to Dakota and settled in this county,
securing as a tree claim the southeast quarter of section 33, in the
town of Hartford, where he still resides. He has a good farm and is
a good citizen.

LiNEBECK, Joseph, was born in Indiana, May 10, 1832. He lived
in Iowa for some time, and came to this county in March, 1883, where
he has since been a well-known resident. He bought a relinquish-
ment of a tree claim comprising- the northwest quarter of section 34
in Hartford, which he afterwards proved up as a homestead. He is
a good farmer and an energetic citizen.

Mahl, Christian F., was born in Germanv, Julv 12, 1860. In
November, 1870, he emigrated to this country with his parents, who
settled in Clayton county, Iowa, and remained there until the spring-
of 1881, when they came to this county and located in Wall Lake
township. They secured the southwest quarter of section 25, and
the southeast quarter of section 26. The subject of this sketch
lived on the farm until 1890, when he moved to Hartford village and
engaged in business. While a resident of Wall Lake he was assessor
four years. His father, John Mahl, was born in Germanv November
11, 1829, and resides on the southeast quarter of section'26 in Wall
Lake, and is an industrious farmer.

McLeod, Martin, is a native of Canada, and was born in Novem-
ber, 18.-^8. He came to the United States in 18()4, and lived in Michi-
gan and Iowa until the spring of 1882, when he located in this countv.




E. C. KiBBE.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 863



He t(X)k up land in sections 8 and *) in Hartford, and now has a good
farm of 320 acres, with substantial buildin<i"s and improvements, and
is lari»-ely interested in horses. In the spring of 1888 he married
Xettie O. Lyon. He is a good farmer and a good citizen.

]\IcLk()D, Wallace, was born in the county of Middlesex, Can-
ada, in 185U. He lived in Michigan and Iowa before he settled down
in this county in December, 18*)2. He took up the south half of the
northeast quarter of section 8 as a tree claim, and bought the north-
east quarter of the same section in the town of Hartford, where he
now lives.

Menth, Peter, was born in Chicago, Illinois, July 4, 1853.
After having lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota for some time he re-
moved to Dakota and settled in Wellington township February 6,
1878, taking up as a homestead the southeast quarter of section 1,
which he afterwards sold and removed to Hartford township, where
he purchased a part of the southwest quarter of section 22, where he
now lives and has a good farm. He has held the office of constable
four years.

MuNDT, John, is one of the most enterprising citizens of Hart-
ford. He was born in Denmark August 16, 1853, emigrated to the
United States with his parents in 1862, and resided in Connecticut,
Minnesota and Iowa sixteen vears. He came to Sioux Falls in
August, 1878, and engaged in trade with Frank Kunerth for two
\ears and then removed to Hartford, where he opened a general
store and engaged in the grain and live stock business. After a few
years he took into partnership H. D. Oaks, and carried on the busi-
ness under the firm name of John Mundt & Co. until February, 1897,
when Mr. Mundt bought out his partner's interest. In 1892, the
company erected quite a large elevator near the railroad station at
Hartford. In the fall of 1894, Mr. Mundt was elected treasurer of
Minnehaha county, but after two years of service he concluded that
he liked private business better than official duties, and declined to
become a candidate for another term. He owns a large amount of
real estate in Minnehaha county, and it will take a great deal of ca-
lamity to reduce Mr. Mundt to indigent circumstances. He is an en-
terprising business man, a good citizen, and has a host of friends.

Norton, Charles A., was born in Hartford county, Connecti-
cut, December 8, 1853. He lived there and in Wisconsin until he re-
moved to this county in 1878. He took up a homestead in sections 23
and 26 in Hartford, where he still resides and has a good farm. He
has been chairman of the town board, and assessor two years, and is
an active, enterprising citizen.

Oaks, Elihue I., was born in Kane county, Illinois, January 3,
1841, resided there and in Minnesota until he removed to this county,
where he arrived June 1, 1876. He bought eighty acres of land in
Wayne and made homestead and tree claim filings in sections 27 and
28 in Hartford. Mr. Oaks has held the office of justice of the peace
in Hartford twelve years — long enough to be called "Judge." He
was a member of the 1885 constitutional convention, and for a good
many years if he had not put in an appearance as delegate to our



864 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



countv conventions he would have been missed. Mr. Oaks is a reli-
able, uprig-ht citizen. He enlisted October 3, 1861, in the 3d Minne-
sota, but, owing- to sickness, was discharo-ed after six months ser-
vice.

Oaks, Herbert D., was for nearly ten years a member of the
iirm of John Mundt & Co. of Hartford. Althoug-h a young- man he is
one of the oldest residents in the countv, having- come here with his
father D. W. Oaks in 1871. He was born in Minnesota July 21, 1858.
He has been town treasurer of Hartford several years, is a man of
g-ood business qualifications and an active citizen.

Pearson, Alba, was born in Wisconsin in 1860; was reared on
a farm and educated in the common schools. In 1876 he came to
Hartford, in this county, and purchased a farm of 160 acres in sec-
tions 10 and 11, where he has since resided. In 1891 he married
Emma Bodeman, and is now the proud father of three daug-hters. He
is a g-ood farmer and a gfood citizen.

Pearson, Jesse, was born in Sauk county, Wis., September

25, 1869; moved with his parents to this county, arriving- in Sioux
Palls on his eig-hth birthday. His father, Stephen Pearson, resided
in Hartford until his death in 1890. The subject of this sketch re-



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 78 of 99)