Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 79 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 79 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


sides in the villag-e of Hartford, and is employed in the farm machin-
ery business. He is a g-ood citizen.

Pott, Nicholas, w^as born in Luxeml)urg-, Germany, October

26, 1860; came with his parents to the United States in 1868, and
lived two years at Waterloo, and two years at Independence, Iowa;
when twenty years of ag-e the subject of this sketch commenced
farming-, and followed that pursuit in Iowa until the fall of 1883,
when he removed to Dakota and boug-ht 320 acres of land in sections
3 and 10, in Welling-ton township, which he still owns, but resides
at the villag-e of Hartford, where he is eng-ag-ed in business.

Scott, Joseph, w-as born at Farley, Dubuque county, Iowa,
May 14, 1856. He came to Minnehaha county, February 1, 1880, and
located in the town of Hartford, taking up a homestead and a tree
claim in sections 8 and 17, where he has since been eng-ag-ed in farm-
ing- and has a fine farm. He is a g-ood farmer and says: "I have
never been sorry that I came to Dakota. We had a pretty close time
for the first few years that we lived here, but now^ we are g-etting-
along- nicely." He has been supervisor of the town board since 1897,
is a g-ood neig-hbor and a hig-hl}- esteemed citizen.

Soderberg, Carl Albert, was born Januarv 3, 1852, in Swe-
den. He was reared on a farm and received his education in the
hig-h school at the city of Falun. When seventeen years of ag-e he
emigrated to the United States and settled in Iowa where he worked
at the carpenter's trade until June, 1876, when he came to this
county. His first work here was upon the mills at Palisade. He
took up as a homestead the northwest quarter of section 24, in Hart-
ford, and resided there until January, 1895. The first five vears he
lived in a sod house and burnt hay for fuel, but as he became more
prosperous he added comfortable building-s to his farm improve-
ments and has at the present time a g-ood farm. He has held the




J. Ct. Tylek.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 8()7



office of town clerk for several years, and when the Farmers' Al-
liance came into existence he took an active part in promoting- the in-
terests of the org-anization. He was secretary of the County Al-
liance four years and of the Territorial Alliance three years. In
1888 he was nominated by the Republican party for councilman of
the fourth leg-islative district, comprising- Hanson, McCook and Min-
nehaha counties, and was elected and served in the last Territorial
legislature with g-reat credit to himself and his constituency. The
1st of January, 18*)5, he rented his farm and took up his residence
in the city of Sioux Falls; where he was engag-ed in the county treas-
urer's office for about two years, when he ag-ain went to live on the
farm. Mr. Soderberg- is well informed, and has proved himself to
be an industrious, conscientious citizen.

SwENSON, Jim, was born in Sweden, September 24, 1843. He
came to this county in 1882, and secured by pre-emption the north-
east quarter of section 2, in Hartford township, where he now re-
sides and has a g-ood farm.

SwENSON, L. P., was born in Sweden inl84G. He li\ed in Penn-
sylvania two 3^ears and in Wisconsin four years prior to his coming-
to this county in 1879, at which time he secured by pre-emption the
northwest quarter of section 1, in Hartford township, where he still
resides. He also ow^ns land in section 2, and has a well improved
farm, with g-ood buildings. He is a thrifty, well-to-do farmer, and a
g-ood citizen.

Thrall, M. K., was born in Winnebag-o county, Wisconsin, on
the 12th day of September, 1855. He came to Minnehaha county in
1879, and located on his present homestead, which comprises the
northwest quarter of section 5, in Hartford township. He has a
well improved farm and is a g-ood citizen.

Tyler, John G., of Hartford, w^as born on the Gth day of June,
1852, in Green county, Wisconsin; removed with his parents to Iowa
in 1854, and came from there to Sioux Falls in 1878. He took up as
a homestead in Hartford, the northwest quarter of section 12, where
he has since resided. He was married October 10, 1880, and took his
wife immediately to his home — a half dug-out and half sod residence.
The day before the famous October blizzard he put the finishing-
touches to his house, and thoug-ht he was ready for anything- that
mig-ht come along- in the way of climatic disturbances. It rained a
little during- the afternoon, and when he retired at nig-ht it was snow-
ing-. But the next morning- he found a blizzard of the first mag-ni-
tude had put in an appearance and was doing- business all about his
premises. His house was on a southern slope, and four rods away
he had a stable with a g-ood pair of horses in it. The stable was not
in sig-ht. This was Saturday. He had a cow fastened to a picket,
but nothing- could be seen of her except one hind foot. She was in
twelve feet of snow, lying- at an ang-le of about forty-five deg-rees.
That cow was dead. Tyler says she was dead. He had a pitchfork
in his house, and by running- it down in the snow he found his stable,
1:)ut did not g-et in until Sunday noon, when, to his great joy, he found
his horses alive. He had a pig-, and in dig-g-ing- out his horses found



868 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



the pig- on the ju-round outside the stable door. The p\g was alive.
Here is to be seen the difference between the endurance of a cow and
a pig" in a blizzard. His house was completel}^ buried out of sig-ht,
but beneath that cold, cold snow, his bride of four days, was com-
fortable and happy. In conclusion we will only add, that Mr. Tyler
is a o-ood farmer and a g-ood citizen; has held town offices, and would
have been elected to the legislature in November, 1892, if the Inde-
pendent party had polled votes enoug-h. While living- in Iowa he at-
tended the district school and took a course at the Breckenridg-e In-
stitute, Decorah, Iowa, g-raduating- in 1877; taug-ht school fourteen
terms in Winneshiek county, Iowa, and after coming- to Minnehaha
county taugfht three terms, but has been principally eng-ag-ed in farm-
ing-, and has a g-ood farm with substantial building's and improve-
ments.

Van De Mark, Prank E., one of the pioneer settlers of this
county, was born in Lake county, Illinois, in 1852. He lived in Iowa
for some time, and came to this county in 1872, where he has since
resided. He proved up the southeast quarter of section 29 in Grand
Meadow as a pre-emption, and the sovithw^est quarter of section 29
in Hartford as a tree claim, but has disposed of both. He now owns
about 640 acres of land in sections 3, 4, and 10 in Hartford, and in
section 28 in Grand Meadow. He resides on the northeast quarter
of section 3 in Hartford. He is one of the prominent farmers and
stock raisers of the county; is an enterprising", influential citizen,
and has held various school and town offices. In 1898 he received
the nomination on the Republican ticket for member of the house
of the state leg"islature, but his party did not pull votes enoug"h to
secure the election.

Van Vleet, Harvey, was born in Illinois, October 25, 1849.
He enlisted in the 139th Illinois Infantry in May, 1864, and served
until January, 1865. After the close of the war he located in Iowa,
and in 1882 removed to this county, where he has since resided. He
formerly owned the southeast quarter of section 12 in Hartford, but
sold it, and boug"ht the southeast quarter of section 11, in the same
town, where he now resides, and has a very g"ood farm. He has been
supervisor of the town board, and is a respected citizen.

Warner, Westley J., is a native of Franklin county, Vermont,
and was born June 22, 1844. He lived in Wisconsin for some time,
and came to this county in June, 1876. He took up a homestead and
a tree claim in sections 23 and 24 in Hartford township, and resided
on his homestead until 1895, when he rented his farm and went to
Kansas City, Missouri. He was a successful farmer and a g"ood
citizen.

WiLLiG, George, is a native of Germany, and was born January
14, 1858. He emig-rated to the United States in the spring" of 1883,
and has been a resident of this county since then. He lived four
years in Brandon, and removed to Hartford township in 1893, where
he now resides on his farm, comprising- 200 acres in sections 2, 3 and
10. In 1887 he was married to Miss'Alida Peters, and they have"
four boys, Phillip, Constantine, George and Pred. He is a good
farmer and a g"ood citizen.




F. E. Van 1)k Mark.



HUMBOLDT TOWNSHIP.

(102-52;

The boundarv lines of this township were surv^eyed l)y Wm. J.
Neeley in Auo'ust, 1859, and the subdivisions by H. T. Austin in
June, 1867. It contains 22,643.97 acres of land according- to the g-ov-
ernment survey. The map made by the first surveyor, shows not
less than twenty-three ponds of water and two lakes; Beaver Lake on
sections 14, 15 and 22 covered 307 acres, and Grass Lake on sections
34 and 35 covered about 60 acres according- to this survey. During-
hig-h water, suckers, black bass and pickerel have reached Grass
Lake by way of a small stream having- its source in this lake, and
which runs through Hartford township in a northeasterly direction
and empties into Skvink creek on the southeast quarter of section 19
in Benton township.

Among- the first settlers in Humboldt was Nicholas Beck, who
came there in 1877, and during- the year following-, Michael Plvnn,
Henry Mundt and several others located there. The first school
house was built in the fall of 1879 on the northeast quarter of section
11, and the following- winter the first school in the township was
taught in this school house by Adelbert Oaks.

The Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha railroatl was built
throug-h this township in 1879, but there was no station established
until several years later, and then it was a mere stopping- place.
Beebe & Co. put up a g-rain warehouse in 1890, Hubbard & Palmer
in 1891, and the Farmers Warehouse company's g-rain and ware-
house was erected in 1893. In 1897, the railroad company l^uilt a
commodious depot; and the John W, Tuthill Lumber Co. established
a lumber yard, and commenced doing- business July 5, that year. A
hotel and store were built the same year, and in the fall of 1898, John
Mundt of Hartford erected a g-rain elevator with a capacity of 25,000
bushels. In April, 1890, a post oifice was established, and since
April 4, 1898, it has been a money order office. There are some fine
farms in the township, and the little villag-e of Humboldt will un-
doubtedly thrive and g-row rapidly in population, and as a business
center.

Farmers' Mutual Fire and LiGHTNiN(i Insurance Company.
— This company was org-anized in Humboldt township in 1891. At
its annual meeting- January 2, 1894, the secretary's report showed
that it had a membership of 113, and was carrying- an insurance of
S181,540. Up to this time the company had sustained one loss only.
At this meeting- Wm. Engdehardt was elected president, Henry



;72 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Biichheim vice president, Carl Kriise treasurer, and Henry Mundt
secretary. At the annual meeting- January 12, 1897, the secretary,
Henrv Mundt, reported that the total amount of insurance of the
C(»ni])anv was at that time S239,93(), and the total membershi|) 14f).

HUMBOLDT TOWNSHIP BOARD.

The first meetino- of the board that appears upon the clerk's
record, was held on the 16th day of July, 1881, at the residence of D.
M. James. Supervisors, Lemuel Shaul chairman, D. M. James,
Michael Plynn; Saul Shaul assessor, D. O. McCarty clerk, Deasro B.
Oakes justice. The only business done ^vas the allowance of bills of
the township officers for services. The first warrant w^as drawn
in favor of Saul Shaul for services as assessor in the sum of S22.
Several meeting-s were held by the board during- the year, but the
only business recorded is the allowance of bills, and the total sum of
warrants drawn was S71.99.

1882. Supervisors, Lemuel Shaul chairman, D. M. James,
Charles Peyder; D. O. McCarty clerk, John Kruse assessor, D. B.
Oakes and John Finn justices, Peter Ries treasurer. On the 23d of
March, Alex Schindler was appointed treasurer to fill the vacancy,
Mr. Ries having- removed from the township.

1883. Supervisors, John Kruse chairman, D. M. James, J. P.
Gallag-her; O. J. McCarty clerk, John Wrig-ht treasurer, Henrv
Mundt assessor, D. O. McCarty and John Finn justices, Alex
Schindler constable.

1884. Supervisors, John Kruse chairman, John Gallag-her,
Alex Schindler; O. J. McCarty clerk, Wm. Kruse assessor.

1885. Supervisors, J. P. Gallag-her chairman, Alex Schindler,
Henry Mundt; O. J. McCarty clerk, John Wrig-ht treasurer, D. O.
McCarty assessor, Charles Hemig- and Frank Becknell justices. Gust.
Schievelbien and Lemuel Shaul constables.

1886. Supervisors, D. M. James chairman, J. P. Gallag-her,
Henrv Mundt; D. O. McCartv assessor, Charles Hemig treasurer,

A. G." Hahn clerk.

1887. Supervisors, Henry Mundt chairman, Carl Kruse, Peter
Finton; J. P. Gallag-her treasurer, Amos Shaul assessor, A. G. Hahn,
clerk.

1888. Supervisors, Henry Mundt chairman, Carl Kruse, A. K.
Sanborn; W. M. Kruse assessor, J. P. Gallag-her treasurer, Peter
Finton clerk.

1889. Supervisors, Alex Schindler chairman, Carl Kruse, J. W.
Drake; J. P. Gallag-her treasurer, N. B. Even assessor, Peter Finton
clerk, Georg-e W. Shaul and Peter Finton justices, John Thrasher
and N. B. Even constables.

1890. Supervisors, Alex Schindler chairman, W. J. Berg-uin,
Wm. Englehardt; Peter Finton clerk, J. P. Gallag-her treasurer, F.

B. Lockw^ood assessor. Fifty-seven votes w^ere cast at this election.

1891. Supervisors, Alex Schindler chairman, W. J. Berguin,
Wm. Englehardt; Peter Finton clerk, O. J. McCartv assessor, J. P.
Gallagher treasurer, P. Chelius and Peter Finton justices, S. D.
Maloney and E. E. Finton constables.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



1892. Supervisors, Alex Schindler chairman, Wm. Eng-lehardt,
D. M. James; Peter Cheliiis treasurer, F. H. Lockwood assessor,
Peter Pinton clerk, Daniel Muri)h\- and N. B. 10\en constables.
Sixty-fi\e votes were cast,

1.S93. Supervisors, Alex Schindler chairman. I). M. James,
Henry Buchheim; Peter Chelius treasurer, W. J. Bero-uin assessor;
Amos Shaul and Peter Pinton justices, P. B. Lockwood clerk; John
Thrasher and Daniel Murphy constables. At a meetinju- of the board
Auo-ust 19, Carl Kruse was appointed treasurer, Peter Chelius hav-
ino- resio-ned.

1894. Supervisor, Henry Buchheim chairman, D. M. James, J.
M. Trecker; Carl Kruse treasurer, W. J. Ber^-uin assessor, P. B.
Lockwood clerk, A malig-nant form of diphtheria broke out in the
townchip in Auj>-ust of this year, and again the January, following",
and the township paid out in caring for the sick, and the expenses of
the board of health, about S500. The county reimbursed the town-
ship in part for the money paid out, but having also paid out S20(),
the cost of four two-wdieel scrapers, dviring the year, the township at
the end of the fiscal year was in debt in the sum of S511.34, with no
cash on hand.

1895. Supervisors, Alex Schindler chairman, John P. Jordan,
J, P. (xallagher; P. B. Lockwood clerk, Carl Kruse treasurer, W. J.
Berguin assessor, Peter Pinton and D. B. Oakes justices, John
Thrasher and N. B. Even constables. Seventy-seven votes were
cast. At the close of the fiscal year the township had an indebted-
ness of S576,79 with only forty-one cents on hand.

1896. Supervisors, Alex Schindler chairman, Bernard Buls,
John P. Jordan; P. B, Lockwood clerk, Carl Kruse treasurer, Peter
Pinton assessor, Henry Mundt and Peter Pinton justices, John
Thrasher and H. J, Dubbe constables. The line between Huml^oldt
and Clear Lake was surveyed.

1897. Supervisors, Alex Schindler chairman, Bernard Buls, A.
K. Sanborn, P, B. Lockw'ood clerk, D. M. Smith treasurer, Peter
Pinton assessor, Henry Mundt and Peter Pinton justices, H. J.
Dubbe and John Thrasher constables.

1898. Supervisors, Bernard Buls chairman, Henry Lewvn,
Charles Buchheim; P. B. Lockwook clerk. Gust. Schievelbien treas-
urer, W, J, Berguin assessor, Henry Mundt and Peter Pinton jus-
tices, John Thrasher constable.

1899. Supervisors, Bernard Buls chairman, Carl Buchheim,
Pred Getzen; clerk, P. B. Lockwood; treasurer. Gust, Schievelbien;
assessor, W. J. Berguin; justice, Peter Pinton.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

Beck, Nicholas, a native of (xermany, was born in 1824. He
emigrated to the United States and lived in New York until 1877,
when he removed to this countv and located on his present home-
stead, the southwest quarter of section 25 in Humboldt, where he
has since been engaged in farming.



874 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



BuCHHEiM, Carl, was born in Clayton county, Iowa, November
28, 1861; attended the common schools and worked on a farm until
188(), when he came to this county and bouo-ht the southwest quarter
of section 7 in Humboldt, where he has since resided. He has held
school offices, and is now a member of the township board; is a g-ood
farmer, and a respected citizen.

BucHHEiM, Henry, was born in Germany December 7, 1854.
He emig-rated with his parents to the United States in 1856, and set-
tled in Clayton county, Iowa, where he was raised on his father's
farm. On the 3d day of April, 1877, he came to this county and took
up as a homestead the southwest quarter of section 33 in Humboldt,
where he has since resided. He has purchased eig-hty acres adjoin-
ing- his homestead in Wellington, and has a g-ood farm; has been
treasurer of his school district eig-hteen years; chairman of the town
board two years; and for the last three years has been in charg-e of
the Farmers Warehouse at Humboldt. He is an esteemed citizen.

Caldwell, Hiram B., was born in Vermont March 14, 182^i,
and died in Humboldt township January 15, 1893. When quite young-
he moved with his parents to South Bend, Indiana, and a few years
later he removed to Baraboo, Wisconsin. In 1869, he came to this
county, where he resided until his death. He was an uprig-ht, hon-
est man, and an esteemed citizen.

Drake, James Westley, is a native of New York and was born
April 27, 1854. He came to Dakota from Wisconsin in 1878, arriving-
in this county on the 25th of March. He filed a pre-emption on the
southwest quarter of section 12 in Humboldt, which he afterwards
sold, and bought the northeast quarter of section 2 in the same town,
where he resides at the present time. He built the first "frame
house" in Humboldt township— a board shanty ten by twelve feet —
upon his pre-emption, in which he lived, and his neighbors thought
he w^as putting on a great deal of style, as they were living- in sod
houses and log cabins. Mr. Drake is a well-to-do farmer, has held
school district and township offices, and is a good citizen. His
mother, Mrs. Anna C. Rawson, owns the southeast quarter of sec-
tion 2, and the north half of the northeast quarter of section 14 in the
same town, where she resides.

Fauber, Charles, was born in Ohio December 9, 1850. He
lived in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois before he settled in this
county in March, 1880. He filed a homestead upon the southwest
quarter of section 11 in Humboldt, where he has since resided and
has a good farm.

FiNTON, Pp:ter, was born in Ohio, March 23, 1830. He has been
engaged in farming in Indiana, Minnesota and Nebraska, and while
residing in Minnesota was elected representative to the state legisla-
ture, and served during the session of 1872. He came to this county
and settled in Humboldt in 1884, taking up land in section 15, where
he still resides. He has been town clerk and justice of the peace in
Humboldt several years, and is highly esteemed as a neighbor and
citizen.




^f^ wi^




Hp:nry Mundt.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 877



Flynn, Michael, is a native of Ireland. He was born in 1833,
and when only thirteen years of ag-e eniijj-rated to the United States.
He lived in New York and Illinois until 1878, when he removed to
Dakota, arriving- in this county on the 12th of Januarv. He took up
;is a homestead the northeast quarter of section 27, in Humboldt,
where he built a sod house covered wMth lumber, in which he lived
with his family until he built his present residence. He also owns a
tree claim on the northwest quarter of the same section, where his
son, Edward Plynn, now lives. Mr. Plynn was one of the hrst set-
tlers in Hum])oldt who remained permanently. He has a gfood farm
and is a g-ood farmer.

Kruse, Carl, is a native of Germany, and was l)<)rn Juh- 1*),
18-12, During- his minority he attended school and worked on a farm;
in 1864 came to this country and settled down to farming- in Clayton
county, Iowa, and remained there until he removed to this county,
where he arrived on the 3d day of April, 1877. He took up the north
half of section 33 in Humboldt township, where he still resides. He
has been a member of the town board of supervisors for several
years, and township treasurer four years. He is a g-ood farmer and
an esteemed citizen.

Lewyn, Henry, is a native of Eng-land, and was born in 185*).
He came to Dakota and located in this county in 1887, upon his pres-
ent farm, the southeast quarter of section 35 in Humboldt, where he
still resides. Mr. Lewyn is a prosperous farmer and has a nice farm
with g-ood building's and other improvements. He formerlv lived in
Rhode Island, Maryland, Minnesota and Colorado.

LocKwooD, Frank B., was born in New York, March 15, 183").
During- the war of the rebellion he enlisted in the 12th Independent
Ohio Battery, and served nearly four years, until the close of the
war. He has lived in a g-ood many states, but for the last twentv
years has been a resident of Dakota, coming- to Salem, ]\IcCook
county, in 1878. In 1884 he removed to the northeast quarter of
section 10 in Humboldt, where he has since resided. He has been
postmaster at Humboldt and has held township offices, and is an en-
terprising-, respected citizen.

MuNDT, Henry, was born in Germany, October 21, 1853. He
emig-rated and came to McCxreg-or, Iowa, in 1867, where he worked
on a farm two years, and then attended a Normal school at (xalena,
Illinois. The following- seven years and a half he worked in wag-on
manufactories in Iowa. In the spring- of 1878 he came to Dakota and
took up as a homestead the southeast quarter of section 34 in Hum-
l)oldt, where he still resides. He purchased the southwest quarter
of section 35 in the same town, and now has a valuable, well improved
farm of 320 acres. In 1881 he was road overseer; in 1883 assessor;
was town supervisor four years, two years of which he was chairman;
in 1888 was elected county commissioner and served his full term of
three years. He was very attentive to his duties as commissioner
and took a lively interest in everything- that came before the board.
He was especially careful in protecting- the county funds, and no bill
presented received his vote until he was fully satisfied that it was
correct.



878 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Murphy, Humphrey, was born in Ireland in 1840; came to the
United States in 1864, and to this county in the fall of 1878. He took
lip the southwest quarter of section 20 in Humboldt, and has resided
there since then. He is a respected citizen.

Oaks, Asa, was born in Minnesota, November 10, 1868, and came
to this county with his father, D. B. Oaks. He is eng-ag-ed in farming-
on the southeast quarter of section 12, in Humboldt, and is a young-
man of g-ood character and well liked by his neighbors.

Oaks, Deasro Buck, was born in Mina, Chautauqua county.
New York, July 19, 1835. He lived there and in Illinois and Minne-
sota until 1878, when he removed to Dakota, arriving- in this county
on the 25th day of May. He took up as a homestead the southeast
quarter of section 12, in Humboldt, and as a tree claim the south-
west quarter of section 7, in Hartford, adjoining- his homestead. He
has a g-ood farm with three wells of g-ood water, a commodious resi-
dence, g-ranary and stables; he also has quite a largfe maple g-rove and
an apple orchard in bearing-. He has held the office of justice of the
peace, is an industrious farmer and a g-ood citizen.

O'CoNNELL, Timothy, was born in Newcastle, Limerick, Ire-
land, in 1832. He emig-rated to the United States and lived in New
York, Pennsylvania, Iowa and Minnesota prior to his coming- to this
county in the spring- of 1880. He then took up as a homestead the
southwest quarter of section 24, in Humboldt, where he has since
resided.

Root, Addison Lincoln, was born in Ohio, May 10, 1845. He
lived in Wisconsin for some time and came to this county April 8,



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 79 of 99)