Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 80 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 80 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1879. He secured as a homestead the northwest quarter of section
11, in Humboldt, where he has since resided. He enlisted in the
army in 1865 and served thirteen months.

Sanborn, Amos K., is a native of Canada, was born October 30,
1838, and came to Dodg-e county, Wisconsin, when he was six years
old. He then lived in Minnesota and Iowa, and came to this county
in July, 1880. He says that all he had at that time in money was a
live-dollar bill, and that he shoveled snow on the railroad to make a
living- the first winter. He now owns the southeast quarter of sec-
tion 8, in Humboldt, where he resides engaged in farming-. He has
been a member of the town board of supervisors, and has held other
minor offices, and is a g-ood citizen.

SCHINDLER, Alexander, was born in Allen county, Ohio, June
26, 1845. He lived in Indiana and Minnesota prior to his coming- to
this county March 28, 1879. He then made a homestead entry on the
northeast quarter of section 23, in Humboldt, and has resided there
ever since. ,He has been chairman of the town board, road super-
visor and school district clerk. He enlisted in the army and served
from August, 1862, to August, 1865.

Shaul, Amos, was born in Clark county, Ohio, November 28,
1826. He was reared on a farm and educated in the pul)lic schools.
In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company C, 110th Ohio Infantry, and
served until the close of the war. At the time of his discharg-e he



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



879



was first lieutenant of Company C. After the war he en^a¬Ђ-ed in
farming- in Ohio, Indiana and Iowa, and in 18S2 settled in Humboldt,
where he resided until July, 1896, when he removed from the state.
He held various town oftices, and frequently attended the Republican
conventions as a delejL**ate. He was frequently known to have opin-
ions of his own, but they were always in line with o-ood citizenshi]).
Webster, Leonard, was born in the state of New York, in
1831, He lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota before he came to this
county, where he settled on the 25th of May, 1880. He filed a home-
stead upon the northwest quarter of section 10, in Huml)()ldt, wliere
he resides eno-a^-ed in farm i no-.




GRAIN field scene.



PALISADE TOW^NSHIP.

(103-47)

This township is bounded on the east by the Minnesota state
line, which was surveyed in 1862. The north, south and west lines
were surveyed by M. K. Armstrong- in October, 1864, and the sub-
divisions were made the same month by Carl C. P. Meyer. The
township contains 15,069.45 acres of land. There were settlers in
this township in 1873, and during- the next three or four years quite
a number of persons took up land there and eng-ag-ed in farmings.



m^jgiy^..w


"^F






^S^^r-







Palisades on thi; Si'lii- l\*(-eK River.



The name Palisade was sug-g'ested by the peculiar formation of the
channel through which the Split Rock river flows in sections 30 and
31. The soil is g-ood, and the surface gentlv rolling-, except along-
the banks of the Split Rock.

The first school was taug-ht in the fall of 1877 in a sod shanty be-
long-ing- to Hans Nitteberg, which was located on the northwest quar-
ter of section 8. The teacher was Miss Mattie Rasch, who came
from Iowa, and at the close of the school returned home. A post
office was established on the southwest quarter of section 4 in 1874,



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 881



and Job Wood, who also kept a hotel, was appointed postmaster.
The otHce was named Pleasant Valley, and remained there about
eight years, when it was moved to the northwest quarter of the same
section, and the name chang-ed to Rapid Creek. Truman Griggs was
postmaster of this office for two years, when it was moved about
forty rods across the state line into Minnesota, the name changed
hack to Pleasant Valley, and Charles Reynolds appointed postmaster.
A second post office was established in this township in August,
1878, and was located near the southeast corner of the southwest
([uarter of section 30, where a little villag^e soon sprang' up. C. W.
Patten had previously built a small custom flour mill on the Split
Rock at this point. He purchased some of the timber that was in
the old barracks at Sioux Palls, which he used in the construction of
the mill dam, but a few years after, during- high water, the dam went
out, and, as one of the old settlers of Palisade said to the writer,
"quite a number of farmers living on the banks of the Split Rock
l)elow the old mill site secured some of this timber, which may still
be seen in their farm buildings." This little village was in a pros-
])erous condition when the Willmar & Sioux Falls railroad was built
and a station established at this point in the fall of 1888, but when
the Sioux City & Northern railroad was built into the township,
forming a junction with the Willmar & Sioux Palls on section 20, the
village of Palisade was doomed. The residents acce])ted the situa-
tion, and the buildings were moved to Garretson.

SHERMAN.

In 1888, when the Willmar & Sioux Palls railroad opened for
traffic, a station named for E. A. Sherman, one of the directors of
the road, was established on the northwest quarter of section 4, and
eleven blocks were platted by E, A. Sherman, and M. J. Zeliff and
wife during that year, with a view to starting- a village. A post office
was also established the same year, and A. C. Berg, who had formed
a copartnership with C. A. Estenson and opened a general store, was
ap[)ointed postmaster, and held that office until Januarv 1,1899, when
(). B. Bratager assumed the duties of the office. There are now two
general stores, one hardware and one drug store, and a blacksmith
shop, doing business at Sherman. It is an important point for the
shipment of grain, although only four miles from the city of Garret-
son. Peavy & Co. have an elevator with a capacity of 45,000 bushels,
and there are two other large elevators, one with a capacity of 35,000
Intshels, and the other 20,000 bushels. The little village of Sherman
is pleasantly located, and the inhabitants are already anticipating-
the time when they will have a municipal government.

PALISADE TOWNSHIP BOARD.

18SI. Supervisors, A. E. Bothwell, J. W. Wood, A. J. Cooley;
clerk, Ole Rudd; treasurer, C. W. Patten; assessor. Prank Eastman;
justices, A. Herbert, Ole A. Hanson; constables. Kirk Herbert, O.
(t. Aulv. Mr. Bothwell was chairman of the board during the vear
1881.

1882. Supervisors, A. E. Bothwell chairman, A. J. Cooley, E.



882 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Olson; treasurer, C. W. Patten; assessor, Ole A. Hanson; constables,
Ed. Beardsley, John Rudd. July 20, Ellef Ellefson was appointed
supervisor to fill vacancy. At the end of the fiscal year the treas-
urer reported money received S156.20, balance on hand 28.10.

1883. Supervisors, A. E. Bothwell chairman, Ellef E. Ellef-
son, E. Royce; treasurer, C. W. Patten; assessor, Ole A. Hanson;
-justices, A. Herbert, Hans S. Nitteberg-; constables, John Rudd,
Ira Royce.

1884. Supervisors, A. E. Bothwell chairman, E. Royce, An-
drew Morrison; clerk, Ole Rudd; treasurer, C. W.' Patten; assessor,
Ole A. Hanson; justices, C. W. Patten, J. W. Wood; constables, Ira
Rovce, John Rudd. June 2, the board met with the board of Hig-h-
land and divided the work on the highway between the two town-
ships.

1885. Supervisors, P. L. Herbert chairman, John Rudd, Lewis
Gilbert; clerk, Ole Rudd; treasurer, C. W. Patten.

1886. Supervisors, P. L. Herbert chairman, Lewis Gilbert,
Wm. Nevill; clerk, O. A. Hanson; treasurer, C. W. Patten; assessor,
Anton Rudd; justices, W. B. Allen, L. M. Jacobson; constables, A.
J. Cooley, John Steinmetz.

1887. Supervisors, James Whealey chairman, John Overbee, A.
J. Cooley; clerk, Peter P. Eichner; treasurer, C. W. Patten; asses-
sor, Anton H. Rudd. A by-law was adopted "prohibiting- nonresi-
dents from hunting- in this township without the permission of the
owners."

1888. Supervisors, James Whealey chairman, A. J. Cooley,
John K. Overbee; clerk, P. P. Eichner; treasurer, C. W. Patten; as-
sessor, Anton Rudd; justices, P. L. Herbert, E. Humphrey; con-
stables, John Steinmetz, O. A. Hanson. There were thirty-nine
votes cast at this election.

1889. Supervisors, James Whealey chairman, John Rudd, Mag -
nus Johnson; clerk, P. P. Eichner; treasurer, M. H. Wang-sness; as-
sessor, A. H. Rudd; justice, E. E. Cross.

1890. Supervisors, John Rudd chairman, Mag-nus Johnson, A.
J. Coole}-; clerk, P. P. Eichner; treasurer, M. H. Wang-sness; as-
sessor, Ole Rudd; justices, O. A. Hanson, E. E. Cross; constables,
John Steinmetz, E. N. W. Shook. Pifty-five votes were cast at this
election. May 30, diphtheria having- appeared in a boarding- house
in (larretson the house was quarantined and orders issued to several
persons to keep their premises clean and properly drained; a small
building- was erected to be used as a hospital. July 8, Charles East-
man was appointed justice to fill vacancy caused by the resig-nation
of K. E. Cross. October 4, Georg-e E. Beardsley was appointed
clerk in place of P. P. Eichner, resig-ned. November 4, Edward
Eastman was appointed justice in place of Charles Eastman, re-
sig-ned. At the close of the year the treasurer reported that he had
received $413.94, that orders in the sum of $136.32 had been issued
on account of diphtheria and the erection of a hospital, which should
be paid by the county, and that the indebtedness of the township
aside from this was S191.80.

1891. Supervisors, James Whealey chairman, Ole A. Hanson,



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 88J



A. J. Cooley; clerk, L. M, Jacobson; treasurer, M. H. Wangsness;
assessor, Ole Rudd; justice, E. Eastwood; constable. A. Estenson.
The number of votes cast was 109, June 27, Melvin Zeliff was ap-
pointed justice in place of O. A. Hanson, resig-ned, and it was de-
cided to build several stone culverts durino- the year.

1892. Supervisors, James Whealey chairman, Ole A. Hanson,
John H. Bly; clerk, L. M. Jacobson; treasurer, John Overbee; as-
sessor, Ole Rudd; justices, Emory Royce, Job W. Wood; constables,
JNIag-nus Johnson, C. A. Estenson. There were twenty-six votes
cast at this election, and it was voted "that the pesthouse be moved
to some suitable place by the board to be used for town purposes,
and in which to hold their meeting's." March 29, the board directed
O. A. Hanson to hire men and teams to move the pesthouse onto
the northwest corner of section 22, and that the building- should be
called Palisade Townhall. John Lewis and Ole Rudd were ap-
pointed justices in the place of Royce and Wood, who had failed to
(jualify. June 27, the board directed the postings of five notices to
the effect that all noxious weeds must be destroyed during" the
months of July and Aug-ust, and that the same notice be published
in the Garretson Prog-ress. November 12, the board ordered that
the pcisthouse be moved on to the corner of section 16, there to be
used as a townhall.

1898. Supervisors, Ole A. Hanson chairman, John H. Bly, John
Lewis; clerk, L. M. Jacobson; treasurer, John Overbee; assessor, Ole
Rudd; justices, Alexander Allen, Georg-e W. Peterson. Twenty-
eight votes were cast. A vote was taken upon the question whether
or not the township should be resurveyed, resulting- in 11 votes /(;r
and 7 oi^ahis/. November 11, the board met at H. H. Keith's office
to draw a contract with John O. Lang-ness for a resurvey of the town-
ship, but Mr. Lang-ness not being- willing to agree upon the terms
proposed, the contract was let to T. M. Patten, who agreed to do the
work and pay all the expenses, except furnishing monuments, for the
sum of S350.

1894. Supervisors, O. A. Hanson chairman, Fred Steinmetz,
Magnus Johnson; clerk, L. M. Jacobson; treasurer, John Overbee;
assessor, Ole Rudd; justices, George W. Peterson, Emory Royce;
constables, Ed Lewis, A. C. Estenson. Porty-six ballots were cast.
A motion was made and carried that no taxes be levied during the
year. March 22, George W. Peterson was appointed supervisor,
Fred Steinmetz refusing to qualify; Lewis Gilbert and J. J. LaDue
were appointed justices in the place of Peterson and Royce who
failed to qualifv. During this year there were quite a number of
meetings of the board to consider road work, the building of culverts
and bridges, the vaccination of the people; to give instructions to the
road overseers in consequence of the resurvey, and to prosecute per-
sons obstructing- the highways.

1S95. Supervisors, G. W. Peterson chairman, F. L. Herbert,
Andreas Larhahl; clerk, L. M. Jacobson; treasurer, John K. Over-
bee; assessor, Ole Rudd.

1896. Supervisors, A. J. Cooley chairman, Magnus Johnson,
A. O. Lardahl; clerk, G. W. Peterson: treasurer, John Overbee; as-
sessor, Ole Rudd.



884 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



1S97. Supervisors, A. J. Cooley chairman, Mag-nus Johnson,
John Ing-ebretson; clerk, G. W. Peterson; treasurer, John Overbee;
assessor, Ole Rudd.

1898. Supervisors, A. J. Cooley chairman, J. H. Bly, John
Ino-ebretson; clerk, G. W. Peterson; treasurer, John K. Overbee;
assessor, Ole Rudd.

1899. Supervisors, O. A. Hanson, Magnus Johnson, J. J.
Klungness; clerk, G. W. Peterson; treasurer, Wm. Pierce; assessor,
Ole Rudd.

bio(;raphical sketches.

Berg, A. C, is a native of Norway, and was born September 11,
1860: emio-rated with his parents to the United States in 1872, and
lived in Michig*an two years, where he attended the public schools;
removed to Dakota and settled in this county on the 9th day of Sep-
tember, 1874, his father, C. A. Berg-, taking- up land in section 19 in
Highland township. He remained with his father working on the
farm and attending the Augustana College at Canton until 188(),
when he went to Dell Rapids and clerked for R. W. Howland for
some time, then returned home, got married, and liv^ed on the farm
until in 1888. At that time he remov^ed to Sherman, where he, in
partnership with his brother-in-law, C. A. Estensen, opened a gen-
eral store under the firm name of Berg, Estensen & Co., and since
then has been doing a successful business at that place. He has
been a member of the school board six 3^ears,and postmaster at Sher-
man from 1888 to 1899. He is a good business man, an enterprising,
respected citizen, and well liked.

Bly, John H., was born in Lee county, Illinois, March 16, 1862.
He came to this county in 1886, and bought the southeast quarter of
section 32 in Palisade, where he has since resided, and has a good
farm. He has been a member of the town board of supervisors for
two years, and clerk of the school board four years. He is a good
farmer and a good citizen.

Cooley, Alfred J., is a native of Wisconsin, and was liorn
August 15, 1851. He lived there and in Canada, Minnesota and Cali-
fornia before he settled in this county in 1874, where he has since
resided. He took up 160 acres as a homestead in sections 25 in Edi-
son, and 30 and 31 in Palisade, and as a tree claim the northeast
quarter of section 32 in the last named township. He resides on his
homestead, and has a good farm with substantial buildings and im-
provements. He has been a member of the town board of supervis-
ors several years, and for the last three years has been its chairman.
He is a good neighbor and a hig-hly esteemed citizen.

Estensen, C. Alfred, was born in Norway in 18()(), but while
an infant came to this country with his father, Eistin Eistinson, who
settled in Calumet, Michigan, and remained there until 1871, when
he removed with his family to this county and settled in Dell Rapids
township. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm and
educated in the public schools, attended an academy at Red Wing,
Minn., one year, and the Augustana College at Canton, one term. In



HiStORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY 885



1888, formed a copartnership with A. C. Bero- and opened a o-eneral
store at Sherman, where the iirm has since been doin<j;- a successful
business. Mr. Estensen is a o-ood business man and an enterprisinj^-
citizen.

Hanson, (). A., is a native of Norway, and was born December
7, 1850. He came to the United States in 1869, and 'lived in Wiscon-
sin six 3'ears. In the spring- of 1875 he came to this county and 'set-
tled on his present homestead, the northw^est quarter of section 3, in
Palisade, and the following- year he filed a tree claim on the north-
west quarter of section 10, in the same towm. He is also the owner
of 320 acres of farm land in Rock county, Minnesota, but resides on
his homestead in Palisade, which is a g-ood farm with substantial
buildino-s. His farm is only a quarter of a mile from Sherman and
is watered by the Split Rock which runs through his land both in
this county and in Minnesota. Mr. Hanson takes an active part in
town affairs, has been a member of the school board about fifteen
years, assessor four years, justice of the peace, and clerk and super-
visor of the town board several years, also its chairman. He is not
only a g-ood farmer but is a g-ood neig-hbor and a hig-hly respected
citizen.

Herbert, Frank L., was ])orn in Canton, Fulton county, Illi-
nois, March 6, 1849. He lived there and in Iowa and Minnesota be-
fore he settled in this county in April, 1875. He took up as a home-
stead the north half of the northwest quarter of section 28, and the
south half of the southwest quarter of section 21, and as a tree claim
the southeast quarter of section 29, in Palisade. He resides on his
homestead in section 21, has a g'ood farm and is a g-ood citizen.

Jacobson, Lars M., is the owner of and resides upon the east
half of the northeast quarter of section 21, in PalivSade. He was born
in Norway, January 25, 1851, and came to the United States and to
Dakota in 1870. He remained in Dakota one year, and then went to
Iowa where he remained until April, 1882, at which time he removed
to Palisade and bought the farm he now resides upon. He has been
justice of the peace three years, school district clerk nine years and
town clerk five years. He is a g-ood citizen and highly esteemed by
his neighbors.

Johnson, Bernard, was born in the city of Kongsberg, Nor-
way, November 21, 1853. He emigrated to the United States and
settled in Wisconsin, removed from there to Minnesota and came to
this county in 1876. He took up a homestead in section 7, in Pali-
sade, w^here he still resides and has a good farm. He has held the
office of school treasurer, and is a good citizen.

Johnson, Magnus, was born in Sweden, October 26, 1847. He
became a sailor when quite young, and followed this occupation nine
years, visiting the United States for the first time in 1865. In 1876
he settled in Santa Clara county, California, where "he remained for
seven years engaged in farming. Early in 1882 he visited his old
home in Sweden for a few^ months, and upon his return to this coun-
try located at Valley Springs, where he resided three years. He
bought the southwest quarter of section 33, in Palisade, and in 1886



886 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



moved onto this land, and still resides there. He has a gfood farm,
and is a good, reliable citizen. He has been one of the supervisors
of Palisade several years, constable two years, and treasurer of the
school district in which he resides four years. His family consists
of wife and four children.

Klungness, J. J., is a native of Norway, and was born July 5,
1846. He emig-rated to the United States in 1872, lived in Iowa two
years, and came to Dakota in 1874. He took up as a homestead 160
acres of section 27, where he still resides and has one of the finest
farms in Palisade. The following- year, 1875, he took up as a tree
claim the southwest quarter of the same section, and now owns 320
acres of land under gfood cultivation. He has held the office of di-
rector of the school board, and is a g-ood farmer and a grood citizen.

Locke, William A., was born in Wisconsin, in 1850. He lived
there and in Illinois and Iowa prior to his coming- to Dakota in 1880.
He has a fine farm of 200 acres in section 5, in Palisade, where he
has resided ever since he first came here, and thinks that Dakota is
better than any other place he has lived in. He is a g-ood citizen.

NiTTEBERG, Hans Stener, was born in Norway, May 23, 1828.
He emig-rated to this country in 1869, lived in Minnesota and Wis-
consin for some time and came to Dakota in 1873. He took up as a
homestead the south half of the southwest quarter of section 5, and
the north half of the northwest quarter of section 8 in Palisade. He
still lives on his homestead and has a g-ood farm. Mr. Nitteberg- was
a soldier in Norway for several years.

OvERBEE, John K., was born in Norway in 1850. He emigrated
to the United States and lived in Iowa from 1871 till June, 1876, at
which time he located in this county on his present farm in section 9
in Palisade. He has been treasurer of school district No. 30 since
1880, town supervisor two years, and town treasurer since 1892. He
has a good farm, and is an active, enterprising citizen.

Peterson, George W., well and favorably known by every old
settler of this county, is a native of Canada and was born June 30,
1853. He came to the United States and located with his parents in
Minnesota in 1865. In 1878 he came to Dakota and took up land in
McCook county, but removed to Sioux Palls the same year, where he
opened a meat market. He carried on this business until 1891, at
which time he bought the northwest quarter of section 22, in Pali-
sade, where he and his estimable wife now reside and have a very
pleasant home. Mr. Peterson takes g-reat interest in the welfare of
his town, and has held several prominent township offices from time
to time. He is an enterprising- and upright citizen and a good
neighbor.

Pierce, William, was born in Illinois, October 7, 1855. He
%vent to Iowa and lived there and in Minnesota until 1885, when he
removed to this county. He located on the northeast quarter of sec-
tion 22 in Palisade, where he is engaged in farming, and has a good
farm. He is a well-known and respected citizen.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY, 887



RoYCE, Emeky, was born in Illinois in 1849. He resided there
and in Iowa until he came to Dakota in May, 1871. He took up as a
homestead the southeast quarter of section 27 in Mapleton, now-
owned by Minnehaha county and known as the county poor-farm.
There were no settlers north of him in the eastern half of the town-
ship of Mapleton in 1871, but the next year he had neig-hbors on all
sides. At the first g-reat ball in Sioux Palls, which took place on
New Year's eve in 1872, at the Cataract House, Mr. Royce and his
brother furnished the music, and he says "it was a g-reat societ\'
event." In 1878 he sold his farm and removed to Palisade where he
eng-ag-ed in the mercantile business and was the postmaster until
188b, when he ag-ain went to farming- in Palisade township. He is an
enterprising-, g-ood citizen.

Royce, Ezra, was born in Illinois in 1848. He was reared on a
farm and educated in the district schools. In 1872 he came to this
county from Iowa, and settled in Palisade, taking- up the northwest
quarter of section 29 as a homestead and the southeast quarter of
section 31 as a tree claim. In 1897 he removed to the state of Wash-
ing-ton.

RuDD, John H., is a native of Norway and was born November
28, 1850. In 1872 he emig-rated to the United States, and came to
Minnehaha county on the 17th day of May, 1873, and resided on his
homestead in section 8, in Palisade, until 1897, when he rented his
farm and removed to Hills, Minnesota. He has been chairman of the
town board of supervisors and has held several other town offices in
Palisade. If he had been postmaster upon the incoming- of Cleve-
land's first administration he would have been promptly removed for
" pernicious activity in politics." He lives up to the full measure oF
his rig-hts as a citizen, starts early for the primaries, is always
around when there is a convention to be held by his party, and never
leaves the polls until the last vote is counted. A man of this char-
acter is always an enterprising- citizen, and John H. Rudd is no ex-
ception to the g-eneral rule.

Rudd, Ole, was born in Norway, November 30, 1847, and emi-
g-rated to the United States in 1871. He has always been eng-ag-ed in
farming-, and resided in Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin before he
came to Minnehaha county in July, 1877. Upon coming- to this
county he obtained title to the northwest quarter of section 15 in Pal-
isade throug-h a pre-emption filing-, and has since then made it his
home. He has a g-ood farm with pleasant surrounding-s. Like his



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 80 of 99)