Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 81 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 81 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


brother John, he has been honored \vith town offices. Upon the or-
g-anization of the township he was elected clerk of the town board
and was re-elected several times to this office as well as that of as-
sessor, etc. He is a g-ood citizen and official, and is hig-hly respected.

Tanner, Zacharias, was born in the town of Schuyler, Herki-
mer county. New York, October 12, 1825. He lived in New York,
Illinois and Iowa before he came to this county, where he arrived in
June, 1874, He filed a homestead upon the southwest quarter of sec-
tion 3, in Palisades, where he has l3een a well-known resident ever
since.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Whealey, James, was born in Hunting-ton county, Canada,
April 17, 1848. He came to the United States in 1863, and lived in
New York until he removed to this county in 1875. He took up as a
homestead the northeast quarter of section 28 in Palisade, bouo-ht
the northwest quarter of section 27, and now has a fine farm of 32(»
acres. He has been chairman of the town board of supervisors, and
school director several years, and is an industrious fr.rmer and a re-
spected citizen.

Wood, Job W., was born in the town of Conventry, Chenang-o
county, New York, December 27, 1842. He came to this county on
the 12th day of June, 1873, after having- resided in the states of New
York, Virginia, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska and
Texas. He secured by pre-emption the northwest quarter of sec-
tion 4 in Palisade, where he lived for twenty years, removing- from
the state in 1893. He was postmaster in 1874, and has been justice
of the peace, and was well known to nearly every early settler in the
county as a g-ood citizen.

Zeliff, M. J., was born in Cayug-a county, New York, on the
31st day of July, 1833. He was reared on a farm and educated in the
public schools. After having- lived in Michig-an, Illinois, Indiana
and Iowa he came to this county May 25, 1874, and took up as a home-
stead the northeast quarter of section 4 in Palisade, and also secured
the southeast quarter of section 33 in Hig-hland. He set out 30 acres
of trees on his farm, and cared for them so well that he now has one
of the finest groves in the county. He has made maple sugar several
years, and has walnut trees from which he has gathered nuts. He
has also quite a thrifty little apple orchard, crab and standard trees,
which have borne fruit in abundance for several vears. The town
site of Sherman, where there is also a station on the Great Northern
railroad, is located on his homestead. Mr. Zeliff is an energtic, en-
terprising citizen.

DEVIL'S GULCH.

Devil's Gulch, located on the east side of the Split Rock river in
section 17, in Palisade township, is a remarkable gulch. Its south-
ern extremity is less than half a mile north of the city of Garretson.
where it forms a junction with the Split Rock river. The head of
this gulch is in a natural basin, about two hundred rods northeast
from the junction, where bare rocks, worn b}^ water may be seen
near the surface of the ground. Following its course southwesterly,
a channel is formed through the rocks, gradually growing deeper for
a considerable distance, only the east side of the channel is abrupt,
the west side being a gradual slope for some distance back, but as
the gulch proper is approached the channel is through solid rock,
both sides being almost perpendicular for a short distance, when a
basin containing water is reached which is a little more than one
hundred feet in diameter. Near the point where this channel enters
the basin there is another channel through the rocks from the north-
west portion of the basin. This is narrow, and quite steep, but the
basin can be reached through this channel. At the south end of the
basin the channel through the rocks is not more than eight to ten



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



889



feet in width, but it is only for a few feet when another I)asin is
reached similar to the precedino- one. After leaving- this basin the
west side only is abrupt, the east side beiny covered with trees for a
distance of about twenty rods. At this point the people of (larret-
son have commenced littino- up the grounds suitable for picnic
parties, and the possibilities for makino- it one of the most pleasant
and enjovable places in the county for picnic excursions are so ap-
parent that the writer confidently predicts that in the near future
visitors to Devil's Gulch will find beautiful g-rounds, walks, brido-es
and seats, which wdll add materiallv to their comfort while viewing-
this weird, picturesque and wonderfully unique natural formation.

In July, 1894, there appeared in the Saturday Blade, published
at Chicag-o, a double-column cut of this g-ulch, and in connection with
it a romantic story of a trag-edy which occurred wMthin the walls of




Di<:\'il's CtCLch.



this wonderful formation. It is imj>i)ssible at this time to verify its
truthfulness, but there are so many people w^ho believe in dreams,
and are in such dire need of incidents of this character to sustain
them, that we insert below the stor\' as it was gfiven in the Blade.

"In the early days of the Dakotas, James Harding', wife, son and
daug-hter, emig-rated from eastern Wisconsin. While in camp on the
bank of the Sioux, about a half a mile from the Split Rock river, they
were surprised by a band of Indians, led by a white reneg'ade, and
Harding- and his wife and son were murdered, while Nellie was
carried away captive.

In his far-away Wisconsin home, on the nig-ht of the massacre,
Dick Willowby, the voung- g-irl's lover, dreamed a fearful dream.
He saw clearly depicted the vicinity and scenes of the murder, and



890 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



the dream made so great an impression upon him that he immediate-
ly started, armed and equipped, upon the route previously pursued
l)y his friends. After two weeks' hard riding- he arrived at the little
villag-e of Worthing-ton, and learned that the Harding- family left
there the nig-ht before he had his dream. Hurrying* onward he came
late in the afternoon upon the country seen in his vision. A mile in
advance stood the Harding- wag-on. Arriving- at the camp, what a
fearful sight met his anxious eyes! Father, mother and son mur-
dered, and Nellie gfone! After following- the trail about ten miles up
the Split Rock river he espied a narrow ravine, or canyon, about
eighty rods long-, running- back from the river. The sides rose per-
pendicularly from eig-hty to one hundred feet, and along- the bottom
was a small stream. This was Devil's Gulch. Out upon a shelving-
rock he saw the lig-ht of a fire. Creeping- softly up he saw half a
dozen Indians and a white man. Raising- his rifle and taking- careful
aim, he fired and an Indian bit the dust. Another fell at the second
fire. There was only one means of eg-ress from their fastness and
that was barricaded by an aveng-ing- rifle. Ag-ain and ag-ain the rifle
spoke. Consternation seized the Indians. Their invisible enemy
fired ag-ain. The remaining- Indians threw themselves into the
depths below, The white reneg-ade stood alone. Pausing- an instant
he darted to one side and in a moment reappeared with Nellie.
There was a report of a pistol, a wild scream and Nellie was dead.
Dashing- up a rock the reneg-ade mounted a horse and flew for his
life. But his pursuer was close behind. For five miles the race was
kept up, when the reneg-ade's horse stumbled, throwing- his rider to
the ground. He faced his foe in an instant. There were two rapid
reports and the reneg-ade had paid for his crime with his life. Dick
Willowby, mortally wounded, drag-g-ed himself back to the rock where
Nellie lay. There, with her clasped in his arms, he was found. The
body of the reneg-ade was found in Rose Dell township, Minnesota."



CITY OF aARKETSON.

In Julv, 18^)1, a petition sig"ned bv a larg^e number of tlie citizens
of the villag-e of Garretson was filed with the county commissioners,
asking that the question of the incorporation of the cit}' of Garret-
son be submitted to a vote of the citizens residing- within the pro-
posed limits as set forth in the petition; and the countv commission-
ers finding- the petition in full compliance with the requirements of
the statute in such cases, an election was ordered to be held at the
Hotel Garretson on the 25th day of July, 1891. The election was
held at the appointed time, and the people voted to incorporate, and
on the 22d day of Aug-ust, 1891, the city of Garretson was incor])or-
ated. At the September meeting- of the county board the vote of an
election held in the city of Garretson for the election of citv officers
was canvassed, resulting- as follows: Mayor, John F. Sophy; treas-
urer, M. H. Wang-sness; police justice, P. Eastwood; city justice,
Ed. Eastman; aldermen, D. J. Kennedv, J. O. Rovce, W. H. O'Learv,
E. E. Cross, J. Boldt, J. LaDue.

The records of the city commence with November 2, 1891, at
which time a meeting- was held and W. H. O'Leary was elected presi-
dent of the council and D. J. Kennedy secretary pro tem. G, W.
Smith was then nominated and confirmed as city auditor; rules were
also adopted for the g-overnment of the council.

At a special meeting- of the council on Noveml)er 7, the bonds of
the newly elected officers were approved; James Burries was nomi-
nated city marshal, but the council did not approve of the nomina-
tion, and Charles O'Leary was appointed city marshal. It was de-
cided to employ Joseph Kirby of Sioux Falls as city attorney; Dr.

C. W. Locke was appointed city physician, and the Garretson Pro-
g-ress was made the official newspaper; ordinance No. 1, was intro-
duced, fixing- the salary of the city officials at one dollar each for
mayor and aldermen, one hundred dollars for the auditor, and for
the treasurer two per cent, of all moneys collected. At a meeting-
held December 14, Charles O'Leary was appointed street commis-
sioner.

Februarv 1, 1892, the reg-ular monthly meetings of the city coun-
cil was chang-ed from the first Monday to the first Wednesday in
each month. February 20, 1892, the council fixed the compensation
for city marshal at S25 per month. March 16, the council referred
the matter of dividing- the city into three wards and fixing- their
boundaries; the proposed grade of the streets as made by Surveyor

D. C. Rice was taken up and laid over for further consideration.
April 6, council appointed judges of election, and ordinance dividing-



892 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



citv into three wards was passed to its second reading-; an ordinance
vacating- a portion of certain streets and alleys, and directing- the
mayor to deed the same to the Sioux Cit}^ & Northern Railway com-
pany was also passed to its second reading-, and on April 13 the ordi-
nance was passed. April 19, the council canvassed the votes for city
officers; ninet}' votes were cast at this election, and John F. Sophy
receiving: fiftv votes was declared elected mayor; A. J. Proelich was
elected treasurer, Frank Eastman police justice, A. M. Olmem city
justice; aldermen, 1st ward, Peter Doyle; 2d ward, John Nauth, W.
H. O'Leary; 3d ward, Lars Jacobson, Charles Swenson. May 4, the
g-rade of the streets as proposed by Surveyor Rice was established
by the old council, and on the same day the new council organized,
and the appointments of D. J. Kennedy as city auditor and F. C.
Callender as citv assessor were approved. Dr. C. W. Locke was
appointed president of the board of health, and three standing- com-
mittees were appointed by the mayor. June 2, S. R. Short was ap-
pointed city marshal and street commissioner, and D. J. Kennedv
city justice; the committee on police was directed to bviild a cala-
boose. At a meeting- in July the council examined the assessment
roll, and the assessed valuation of the real estate was S52,871, and
the personal property S26,055. A city tax of eig-ht mills was levied;
a petition was received asking- that a certain portion of the territory
of the city "be excluded from the corporation;" the office of street
commissioner was declared vacant owing- to the sickness of Mr,
Short, and his inability to perform the duties of his office, and John
Stromme was appointed to fill vacanc}'; John F. Sophy, Jr., was ap-
pointed city marshal to fill vacancy. Aug-ust 3, C. C. Murphy was
appointed city attorney at a salary of SIOU. There being- a vacancy
in the office of city justice and of one alderman in the 3d ward, a
special election was held and Zane R. Bigfg-s was elected citv justice
and C. H. Vickerman alderman. December 7, 1892, the resig-nation
of P. Eastwood as police justice w^as accepted.

April 5, 1893, a petition of the citizens of Garretson was received
asking- that the city issue bonds in the sum of S4,000 to construct
city water works, which was "tabled indefinitely."

The annual city election was held April 18, 1893. A. H. Rudd
was elected police justice, and the following- aldermen were elected:
1st ward, Henry Buck and Peter Doyle; 2d ward, H. L. Havdahl;
3d ward, Samuel Haren. April 29, the council authorized D. J.
Kennedy to employ S. B. Howe of Sioux Falls to prepare plans for
city Avater works; D. J. Kennedy was appointed auditor, John F.
Sophy, Jr., marshal, Charles O'Leary assessor, and Charles Nelson
street commissioner. During- the year a g-ood many meeting's of the
council were held to consider the g-rading- of streets and other im-
provements of the city. In September a seven-mill tax was levied.
In November a special election was held to determine whether or not
the city would bond in the sum of SI, 500 for fire purposes, which re-
sulted in favor of bonding-. December 7, the resigrnation of C. C.
Murphy as city attorney was accepted. Januarv fl, 1894, the coun-
cil accepted the proposition of the Revere Rubber Co., to furnish the
city with a chemical eng-ine and a hook and ladder outfit. Februarv



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 803



7, 1S*)4, the council refused to call an election to determine whether
the city incorporation should be dissolved or not, as re(.|uested b\- a
])etition of the citizens, the petition not havino- the re([uisite number
of sij^-natures. March 8, the chemical eno-ine was accepted.

At the city election in April, 1894, Dr. C. W. Locke was elected
mayor; S. A. Aukerman treasurer; Edwin Eastman police justice;
Stephen Reeves city justice; Peter Doyle alderman 1st ward; W. H.
O'Leary 2d ward; M. E. Heiney 3d ward. Charles O'Leary was ap-
pointed auditor; O. J. Berdahl assessor and John A. Stromme street
commissioner. July 5, the interest on the SI, 500 fire bonds was
raised from six to eig'ht per cent. December 7, bonds sold to \V. H.
Wilson of Sioux Palls.

At the citv election in April, 1805, the followin<^- oflicers were
elected: Aldermen, 1st ward, John P. Sophy; 2d ward, D. J. Ken-
nedy; 3d ward, Soren Sevenson and John Steinmetz received the
same number of votes, and upon drawing" lots for the office Sevenson
was successful; city justice, A. M. Olmem. Mayor Locke ap])ointed
Charles O'Leary auditor, Avho was confirmed. He then appointed not
less than six different persons for assessor, all of whom the council
refused to confirm, but at a subsequent meetino* A. J. Proelich was
appointed and confirmed. C, C. Murphy as city attorney, and
Aug-ust Tradup as chief of police were appointed and confirmed.

At the annual election in 1806, D. J.Kennedy was elected mayor;
Ed. Keller treasurer; Ed. Eastman police justice; Z. R. Big-o-s city
justice; alderman, 1st ward, H. P. Hatland, J. P.. Sophy, Sr.; 2d
ward, E. E. Cross; S. Reeves; 3d ward, A. Darrow, Sam Hag-en. The
mayor appointed A. E. Patterson auditor; John Steinmetz chief of
police and street commissioner, and J. E. Sophy assessor.

The city officers in 1807 were: Mayor, D. J. Kennedy; treas-
urer, Ed. Keller; police justice, Ed. Eastman; city justice, Z. R.
Big-g-s; aldermen, 1st ward, C. M. Butts, A. P. Hatland; 2d ward,
E. E. Cross, Thomas Wang-sness; 3d ward, A. Darrow. W. H.
O'Learey; auditor, A.E. Patterson; chief of police and street commis-
sioner, John Steinmetz; assessor, Charles ()'Leary.

The city officers in 1808 were: Mayor, E. E. Cross; treasurer,
Ed. Keller; "^ police justice, C. E. McCall; city justice, Z. R. Big-g-s;
aldermen, 1st ward, C. M. Butts, A. J. Proelich; 2d ward, Thomas
Wang-sness, P. W. Royce; 3d ward, W. H. O'Leary, James Whealey;
auditor, A. E. Patterson; chief of police and street commissioner,
Embrik Olson; assessor, Charles O'Lyeary.

The citv officers in 1800 were: Mavor, E. E. Cross; police jus-
tice, C. E. McCall; city justice, H. W.' Ward; aldermen, 1st ward,
C. M. Butts, A. J. Proelich; 2d ward, Anfin J. Berdahl, P. W.
Royce; 3d ward, James Whealey, W. H. O'Leary; auditor,
A. E. Patterson; chief of police, John Steinmetz; assessor, Charles
O'Leary, (died in office Julv 30, 1800. )

PiRST Congregational Church. — This church was organized
at (xarretson, Aug-ust 5, 1888, with a membership of eig-hteen. In
1805, aided by the Church Building- Association of New York, a very
appropriate and commodious church building- was erected at a cost
of ?2,400, in which services are held every Sunday. The following-



894 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



ministers have had charg-e of the church: The Reverends A. L.
Hope, Decer, I. P. Duas, M. A. Ball and H. G. Adams. In connec-
tion with the church is a Sunday school which in 1895 numbered
forty-eio-ht, and also a Ladies' Aid society.

The First Methodist Episcopal Church. — This church was
organized April 3, 1892, w^ith a membership of six. A few months
later a building- was purchased and fitted up for the use of the con-
g-regation, at a cost of about S500. It is located on Main avenue and
First street, and was dedicated on November 6, 1892, by Presiding-
Polder, W. H. Jordan. Rev. W. F. Hart was the first pastor, and he
was succeeded bv the Reverends, E. Honeywell, N. Fawell, H. P.
Eberhart, H. B. Clearwater and S. S. Hookland. Services are held
every Sunday. There is a prosperous Sunday school connected with
the church, also a Ladies' Aid society.

St. Rose Catholic Church. — This church was org-anized in the
spring- of 1892, by the Rev. Mr. Hardy. Miss Rose Ganyon donated
the site for a church and at a cost of SI, 300, w^hich was paid by sub-
scription, and with donated labor, a church building- was erected
which is centrally located. Prior to the completion of the church
building- services were held at the residence of J. F. Sophy. Ser-
vices are now held every second Sunday by the Rev. M. J. Martyn,
and the averag-e attendance is eig-hty. There is a larg-e Sunday school in
connection with the church. The following- priests have officiated at
Garretson since the org-anization of the church: Reverends Rick-
land, Jerome, Brown, Link, Hendrick, Hog-an, Mensing-, O'Hora,
(irabig-, Sheehan, Feinler, and the present pastor, the Rev. M. J.
Martyn.

The Garretson Progress. — This newspaper was established
at the city of Garretson, and its first issue g-iven to the public on the
12th day of November, 1889. It was a weekly newspaper, Republican
in politics, and edited and published by Frank Eastwood, wdio re-
mained in charg-e about three years. For a few months in 1892,
while the political campaig-n was in prog-ress, a Mr. Hunt was in
charg-e of this paper, and if there are any persons who were at that
time candidates for office in Minnehaha county who did not g-et ac-
quainted with him and loan him a few dollars, they must have been
unusually hard pressed financially, or had little confidence in their
election. The writer is on the list, but felt comfortable upon com-
pairing notes with other candidates and finding- what amount they
had contributed to this newspaper enterprise. After the campaig-n
was over he soug-ht a new field. Dean P. Buell succeeded Mr. Hunt,
and the first issue of the paper under his manag-ement was on the
23d day of December, 1892. He remained in charg-e until February
17, 1893, when J, B. Morrison of Sioux Falls became the owner of
the plant, and continued its publication until July, 1894, when it
again came into the hands of Frank Eastwood. He chang-ed the name
of the paper to that of the Minnehaha County Herald, and shortly
after sold out to Messrs. Edmison and Jameson of Sioux Falls, who
issued their first paper on the 24th day of Aug-ust, 1894. They pub-
lished it until March, 1896, when they sold out to Henry A. Beards-



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 895



ley, who chang^ed the name back to that of The (rarretson Pro-
gress. December 1, 1897, the Ward Brothers of Dell Rapids bout^ht
the paper and H. W. Ward took editorial charg-e of the same and has
since been its editor and publisher. During- its entire career it has
1)een chiefly devoted to local matters, and at times has been a <»'ood
newspaper. The present editor is eneru-etically endeavor injjf to make
it a good county paper, and it is pleasing- to the writer to be able to
sav, that he is succeeding- in doing- so, and that the livelv little cit\'
of (iarretson has a newspaper worthy of the ])atronage of her citi-
zens.

SorTH Dakota Weekly Vindicator. — This newspaper has
l)een published at Garretson since September 1, 1898, by Geo. W.
Bag'lev, who is making" quite a success of the enterprise and has a
g-ood list of subscribers. It is "a newspaper for the people, devoted
to the advancement of the social and industrial interests of the
state."

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

Bagley, Geokgp: W., was born in Brooklvn, Sus([uehanna
countv, Pennsylvania, April 12, 1847, but the following- year mo\etl
with his parents to Illinois, and two years later to Floyd county,
Iowa, and has lived in the West ever since. He learned the printer's
trade, and for nearly forty years has been eng-ag-ed in the printing-
business, most of the time as job printer. For live years he con-
ducted a job printing- office in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and also ])ub-
lished The East Side Record and a French paper at that place. In
the spring- of 1882, he came to Dakota, and started The WentwortJi
Bond at Wentworth, Lake countv, and afterwards published the Da-
kota Letter at the same place, and later. The Lake County Inde-
j)endent, at Madison, South Dakota. September 1, 1898, he com-
menced the publication of the South Dakota Weekly Vindicator, at
(kirretson, in which he still continues. Mr. Bag-ley is a g-ood printer
and an able writer, is a g-enial, g-ood fellow, and a g-ood citizen.

Bentson, BentR., is a native of Norway, and was born Octo-
ber 27, 1848. He was reared on a farm and educated in the common
schools. In 1866, he emig-rated to the United States with his par-
ents, and after having- remained three months in Wisconsin went to
Decorah, Iowa, where he learned the brick mason's trade, and
worked at this and as a contractor for seven years. In 1873 he came
to Minnehaha county, where he eng-ag-ed in farming- for about five
vears, and then worked at his trade as contractor and brick layer,
living- in Dell Rapids several years, where he was elected and served
as alderman. Since September, 1894, he has resided in (xarretson
eng-ag-ed in the mercantile business, under the firm name of Bentson
& Hatland. He has been industrious and prosperous in his busi-
ness, is a g-ood citizen, and well liked by a larg-e circle of acquaint-
ances.

Biggs, Zane R., was born in Crawford ccjunty, Illinois, ^larch
29, 1851. He attended school and worked on a farm until seventeen
years of ag-e, and then went to Burling-ton, Iowa, where he taug-ht



896 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



school for seven years, after which time he attended Illinois State
Normal school for one year. On the first day of June, 1877, he ar-
rived in Vermillion, Dakota, and immediate!}' came to Sioux Falls.
Verv soon thereafter he took up a homestead in Minnesota, a short
distance from Valley Spring-s. He hired out the first year as a com-
mon laborer; the second year he broke up his land, and the third
year he put in 156 acres of wheat, of which the orasshoppers har-
vested 80 acres, and the balance did not mature, so that he did not
<)et one bushel of wheat. On the first day of January, 1882, he went
into the office of Parliman & Frizzell at Sioux Falls, and commenced
reading- law, where he remained a few months, and then went into
the office of C. H. Wynn for two years. In April, 1883, he was ad-
mitted to the bar, and in 1884 removed to Valley Springs and prac-
ticed law for five years. He then went to Luverne, Minnesota, for
one year, and in 1890 removed to Garretson, where he has since re-
sided. At Garretson he has practiced law to some extent, but thinks



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 81 of 99)