Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 86 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 86 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


pre-empted 160 acres of land in section 7 in Sverdrup before his
coming- here. He is a g-ood farmer and a g-ood citizen.

Lambert, Oscar, is a native of Canada, and was born February
19, 1842. He emig-rated to the United States and lived in Wisconsin
and Iowa until June, 1876, when he settled in this countv. He took
up the east half of section 30 in Lyons, where he still resides and
has a g-ood farm. He enlisted in the 33d Wisconsin Infantry, Co. I,
August 11, 1862, and was discharg-ed August 9, 1865, as serg-eant.
His army career was a fortunate one; he was not wounded, never in
hospital nor taken prisoner, and not absent a day from duty.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 9 i3



Kp:lly, William F., is a native of Canada and was Ix.rn in 1S5(>.
After coming- to the United States he located in Wisconsin for
awhile, and removed to Dakota in the spring- of 1S74. He settK-d in
Lyons on the southwest quarter of section 22 where he now resides.
The first two years the g-rasshoppers harvested his crops, and as he
did not have money enoug-h to g-et away he had to remain. 'Mv. Kelh
has now become quite well fixed in this world's g'oods, ha\ ing a good
farm well stocked. The West Point post office was located on his
place for several years and he was the postmaster. In 1891 he was
elected a member of the house of representatives on the Republican
ticket from Minnehaha county, and re-elected in 1893. If the esti-
mation of his neig-hbors as to his worth as a citizen be a true index of
merit, Mr. Kelly stands in the front rank in this county. He is a
conscientious, painstaking- official.

Larson, Knude, is a native of XorwaN-, and was l)orn April 7,
1837. He emigrated to the United States in 18()G, resided in Iowa
three years, and came to this county July 3, 18()9. He look ujta
homestead, comprising- part of section 1 in Lyons, and section (> in
Sverdrup, and lives on the part of his homestead located in L\(ins.
He and his son Ole were the first settlers of this township. He also
secured a tree claim and pre-emption, and has boutrht other farm
lands. He has a g-ood farm, is an industrious farmer, and a g-ood
citizen.

Larson, Ole, was born in Norway, November (>, 1840. He emi-
g-rated to this country with his father, Knude Larson, in 186(), and
lived in Wisconsin until they removed to this county in 18()9. They
located in Lyons township on the 3d day of July of that year, and
were the first settlers and built the first sod house in that town.
Ole took up as a homestead the west half of the northwest quarter of
section 7 in Sverdrup, and the east half of the northeast quarter of
section 12 in L\^ons, and secured a pre-emption on the southwest
cpiarter of section 4, in the last named town. Until his decease he
resided on his homestead, which is a good farm, under g-ood culti\a-
tion and with substantial building-s. He raised stock as well as
g'-rain, and was a successful farmer and a g-ood citizen. He died
November 5, 1898, after a lingering- illness, leaving- his wife and five
children in comfortable circumstances.

Lyman, Lewis, is a native of Canada, and was born April 1.^,
1837. He came to the United States in 1845; lived in New York,
Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and California, and came to this county
May 20, 1874, where he has since resided. He secured the east half
of section 32, in Lyons, where he resided and engaged in farming
until 1894, when he rented his farm and removed to the city of Sioux
Palls. At the org-anization of the town of Lyons he was elected
chairman of the town board of supervisors, and held that office two
years. He has also been justice of the peace, and was clerk of school
district No. 42 for eleven years. He enlisted in the army in the fall
of 1861, in the 14th Wisconsin Infantry, and was discharg-ed after
one 3'ear's service; re-enlisted and was orderly sergfeant in the 42d
Wisconsin Infantrv, until the close of the war. Mr. Lvman is an



94-1- HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



enterprisino- citizen, and hig-hly esteemed by a lc.rg-e circle of ac-
quaintances.

Nelson, Sven, is a native of Norway, and was born March 13,
1842. He emigrated to Michig-an, where he lived four years; came
to Dakota in 1874, and located in this county, taking- up as a
homestead the southeast quarter of section 22 in the town of Lyons,
where he still resides, and has a good farm. He also owns 40 acres
in section 16. He is a g-ood farmer and a g-ood citizen.

Nytro, Jens Jenson, was born in Norway in 1827 and emi-
g-rated to Minnesota and lived there until in 1873, when he came
to Dakota and settled in this county. He then entered a homestead
upon the northeast quarter of section 35, in Lyons, and eng-ag-ed in
farming-.

Olson, Hagen, was born in Christiania, Norway, in 1826. He
emig-rated to this country, lived in Iowa for some time, and came to
Dakota and settled in Minnehaha county in 1873. He then took up as
a homestead the west half of the northeast quarter and the east half
of the northwest quarter of section 12, in Lyons, and eng-agred in
farming-. He had been a soldier in the old country.

Pease, Lucius A., was born in Louisa county, Iowa, May 18,
1849. He resided in Wisconsin for some time and came to Dakota in
Mav, 1873, and settled in this count3^ He took up the west half of
the northwest quarter and the southw^est quarter of section 30, in
Lvons, where he still resides and has a g-ood farm. He was post-
master of Lyons post office for several years, justice of the peace, and
chairman and clerk of the town board. He enlisted in the army and
served in 1864-5. He is an active and g-ood citizen, and well known
throughout the countv.

Person, Lars, is a native of Halland, Sweden, and was l)()rn
January 22, 1847. He emig-rated to the United States in 1871, and
lived in Wisconsin until he removed to this county in 1882, where he
has since remained. He has a g'ood farm of 240 acres in sections 28
and 33 in Lyons township, where he resides engag-ed in farming-. He
is a g-ood citizen.

Sandvig, Hans H., is a native of Norway, and was born October
18, 1848. After coming- to the United States he lived in Minne-
sota three years, and came to Dakota in November, 1875, locating- in
this county, where he has since been a well-known and permanent
resident. He took up a homestead in section 7, in Edison, where he
lived until about twelve years ag-o, when he removed to Lyons and lo-
cated on his present farm, which comprises the south half of section
15. He has 200 acres under g-ood cultivation, a larg-e live stock, sub-
stantial and comfortable building-s. It is not too much to say that
it is one of the best farms in the county and Mr. Sandvig- one of its
best farmers, well liked by every one who knows him. He has been
a member of the town board for at least ten years, and most of the
time its chairman. He has alwavs taken an active part in the affairs
of his town and countv.



0^




Olio J. ^iorom..



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 947



Sater, Torber E., was born in Norway June 8, 1844. He enii-
o-rated to the United States, and lived in Iowa two years and in Min-
nesota the same leny-th of time, and then removed to this county,
where he arrived on the 12th day of June, 1873. He took up a home-
stead and a tree claim in sections 23 and 24 in Lyons, and resides in
section 23 and has a o-ood farm. He has held some ollice in his town
ever since it was oro-anized; has been assessor, chairman of the town
board, and clerk of the same since 1883; clerk and treasurer of his
school district since its org-anization until 1891 when he resigned,
antl is clerk of the Xorweo-ian Lutheran Cono-regation of Nidaros, in
this county. He takes an active interest in public aifairs and is a
o-ood citizen.

Scott, Axel, is a native of Norway, and was born November
30, 1835. He emig-rated to the United States and lived in Minnesota
until he removed to Dakota in 1873, arrivino- in this county on the 23d
dav of June, of that year. He entered as a homestead the northeast
quarter of section 23, in Lyons township, where he has since resided.
He is also the owner of a well cultivated tree claim on the southwest
(juarter of section 14, in the same town. He is a very active, influ-
ential citizen, and has a host of friends.

Sherry, James, was born in Quebec, Canada, in 1848. Hecame
to the United States and lived in Vermont, New York and Wiscon-
sin before he located in this county in 1878, at which time he secured
as a tree claim the northeast quarter of section 8, in Lyons, where
he has since resided and has a o-ood farm. He is loyal to his town,
countv and state, and says he ])refers his present home to any x^kace
in which he has formerly resided.

SissoN, C. P., was born in Columbia county, Wisconsin, in July,
1848. He came to Dakota and eng-ao^ed in farming- in this county in
]Mav, 1874, taking- up as a tree claim the northeast quarter of section
28, and as a homstead the southeast quarter of section 21, in I^yons,
where he still resides, and has a very g'ood farm. He has been as-
sessor, justice of the peace, supervisor of the town board and was
its chairman in 1895. He is a g-ood neigJibor, and an active, respected
citizen.

SissoN, George W., a brother of C. P. Sisson, was born at the
same place in Columbia county, Wisconsin, April 6, 1851. He came
to this county in 1875, and located on the north half of section 21, in
Lvons, and resided there eng-ag-ed in farming- until the winter of
1897 8, when he rented his farm and went to Klondike, from which
he has recently returned. He has a g-ood farm, and is an energ-etic,
enterprising- citizen.

Stordal, Ole J., is a native of Norway, and was born on
Christmas eve, 1843. He emig-rated to the United States and lived
in Minnesota until he removed' to Dakota in June, 1873. He took up
the northwest quarter of section 23, and the northeast quarter of
section 22, in Lyons, which is now a well cultivated farm, with a
commodious residence and g^ood farm building-s. He does not raise
g-rain exclusively, but has some fine stock, especially horsesi. He
has held the office of town treasurer and postmaster at W^st Point;
is a g-ood farmer, a g-ood neig-hbor and a respected citizen.



948 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Thompson, Thorsten, was born in Norway, in 1847. He came
to Dakota in 1874 and settled in Minnehaha count}- on the northwest
quarter of section 10, in Lyons, which he afterwards proved up as a
homestead, and where he has since resided. He has a good farm
and is a g-ood citizen.

TiDEMANN, Magnus, is a native of Norway, and was born July
1(), 1833. He emig-rated to the United States in 1866 and located in
Goodhue county, Minnesota, where he eng-ag-ed in farming-, except
for about three years when he taugdit school in Rock county. In
1873 he removed to Dakota and settled in this county, where he has
since remained. He took up a homestead, pre-emption and tree
claim in section 1*), in Sverdrup township, and insection 24, in Lyons
township. He iirst resided in Sverdrup for about ten years, and
then moved on to his land in Lyons, where he now resides on the
southeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section 24, and has a
g-()()d farm.

Tidemann, S. H., was Ixjrn in Norway, September 2, 1853. He
emig-rated to this countrv and settled in Minnesota for four years,
then removed to Dakota, arriving- in this county in November, 1875.
He took up the northeast quarter of section 13, in Lyons, as a home-
stead, and has resided there ever since. He has been school director
three years, road overseer three years and town supervisor for sev-
eral years. He is an enterprising- farmer, a gfooJ neig'hbor and a
g-()()d citizen.

Tidemann, S. M., a son of Mag-nus, was born in Norway, March
6, 1862. He came to the United States with his father in i8()6, and
remained with his parents until 1890, when he boug-ht the west
half of the northwest quarter of section 24, in L\'ons, and eng-ag-ed
in farming- for himself. He was assessor one year, and is a g-ood
farmer and a g-ood citizen.

Trobak, Iver, a native of Norway, was born in 1851. He emi-
g-rated to Dakota in 1873, and settled in Minnehaha county, filing- a
homestead upon the southeast quarter of section 26, in Lyons, where
he still resides, and has a good farm.

Wold, John J., a native of Norway, was born in 1824. He emi-
g-rated to America and settled in Dakota in 1875. He took up as a
homestead the south half of the northeast quarter and the east half
ot the southeast quarter of section 3>3>, in Lyons, where he resided
until his death, which occurred in October, 1896.




I

Q
<;

O
is



GRAND MEADOW" TOWNSHIP.

.103-51

The hoiindarv lines of this township were surveyed bv Wm. J.
Neeley in Aug-ust, 1859, and the subdivisions by Horace P. Austin
in Julv, 1867. Its acreag-e is 22,598.15, and is well watered by several
tributaries of Skunk creek. At the time of the first survey there
was a lake in section 5 which covered 232 acres, and the water of
Clear Lake in section 6 covered 91.20 acres. It is a g-ood townshi]),
and farmino- is the only industry of its residents, who are industrious
and thriftv. Among- the earliest settlers were Ole T. Brende, J. J.
Foster, M. J. Tinkham, Winslow Braley and G. U. Bentley. The
first post office was located on the southeast quarter of section 19,
and was called Oran. Daniel Borst was postmaster, and he was suc-
ceeded by Wm. Van Horn. The next post office was located on sec-
tion 8, and Wm. Daniels was postmaster until the appointment of
J. J. Foster in 1880, when the office was located on the northwest
corner of section 17, and remained there until the fall of 1891, when
Mr. Foster was succeeded by G. A. Aldrich and the office removed
to the northeast quarter of section 18. During- the summer of 1895,
iMr. Aldrich resig-ned, and the office was discontinued.

(;rand meadow towNvShip board.

1881. From the town records it a])pears that the first meeting-
of the town board was held on the 29th day of March, 1881. James
Bovce was chosen chairman, and S. D. Berry seems to have been one
of the supervisors, but the name of the third member of the board is
not mentioned. Henry Stroebel was appointed clerk, and Wm. Van
Horn constable to fill vacancies. The township was divided into four
road districts. November 1, A. A. Disbrow was appointed town
clerk to fill vacancy. The first warrant was issued to R. P. Jones
for Sl() for services as assessor.

1882. The board met at the residence of L. Meyer on the 11th
day of January, and the following- persons qualified for office: Super-
visors, S. D. "Berry, J. J. Foster, E. P. Jones; S. D. Berry was
chosen chairman; clerk, L. Meyer; treasurer, E. Tripp; assessor,
Charles Farrel; justice, A. A. Disbrow. The treasurer's re])ort
showed that he had received $156.44, and expended S122.24, during-
the vear.

1883. Supervisors, J. J. Foster chairman, L. Meyer, W. W.
Daniels; clerk, N. N. Haug-en; assessor, C. F. Farrell; treasure)-,
E. G. Tripp.



952 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



1884. At the first aunual March meeting- the following- town
officers were elected: Supervisors, J. J. Poster chairman, Ole O.
Haugse, E. P. Jones; clerk, N. N. Haug-en; treasurer, E. O. Tripp;
assessor, C. F. Farrell; justices, M. W. Winter, Sr., A. A. Disbrow;
constables, R. J. Wilder, M. W. Winter, Jr.

1885. Supervisors, J. J. Poster chairman, Mathias Ginsbach,
A. N. Haug-en; clerk, N. N. Haug-en; treasurer, E. G. Tripp; asses-
sor, C. P. Parrell.

1886. Supervisors, E. P. Jones chairman, Ira P. Winter,
Mathias Ginsbach; clerk, N. N. Haug-en; treasurer, E. (t. Tripp;
assessor, C. P. Parrell; justices, M. W. Winter, Sr., G. A. Aldrich;
constables, M. W. Winter, Sr., James Van Horn. At this election
there were forty-one votes cast.

1887. Supervisors, Ira P. Winter chairman, M. A. Karsrud,
Merritt Tinkham; clerk, R. J. Wilder; justice. A. A. Disbrow; treas-
urer, James Van Horn; assessor, M. W. Winter, Sr.

1888. Supervisors, Ira P. Winter chairman, M. A. Karsrud,
M. Tinkham; clerk, R. J. Wilder; treasurer, James Van Horn; as-
sessor, M. W. Winter, Sr.; justices, M. W. Winter, A. A. Disbrow;
constables, M. W. Winter, Jr., R. E. Kipp. There were thirty-two
votes cast at this election.

1889. There is no record of the annual election, but from the
proceeding's during the year it appears that the supervisors were E.
G. Tripp chairman, M. A. Karsrud and Mathias Ginsbach; clerk,
M. T. Austin; assessor, M. W. Winter.

1890. Supervisors, M. A. Karsrud chairman, H. Ginsbach, G.
Aldrich; clerk, M. T. Austin; treasurer, L. Mever; assessor, M. W.
Winter, Sr.; justices, M. W. Winter, M. A. Bailey; constables, M.
W. Winter, Jr., M. Ginsbach. Thirty-two votes were cast.

1891. March 3, at the annual town meeting- the following" offi-
cers were elected: supervisors, G. A. Aldrich chairman, A. T. Aus-
tin, O. E. Anderson; clerk, M. T. Austin; treasurer and justice, C.
P. Parrell; assessor, M. Tinkham. The assessed ^aluation of the
township was, land, S97,061; personal property, S30,121, making- a
total of $127,182. February 5, 1892, the resig-nation of M. T. Austin
as town clerk was accepted and J. D. Love was appointed to fill
vacancy.

1892. Supervisors, G. A. Aldrich chairman, A. T. Austin, O.
E. Anderson; clerk, J. D. Love; treasurer, C. P. Parrell; assessor,
M. Tinkham; justices, M. W. Winter, Sr., E. G. Tripp; constables,
M. W.^ Winter, Jr., R. E. Kipp. A resolution was passed directing-
the officials to "enforce the Noxious Weed law."

1893. Supervisors, G. A. Aldrich chairman, J. J. Poster, An-
drew Clauson; clerk, J. D. Love; treasurer, C. P. Parrell; assessor,
M. T. Austin; justices, J. D. Love, J. A. Stewart; constables, Ole
Haugse, M. Ginsbach. There were thirtv-three votes cast at this
election.

1894. The first meeting of the town board after the annual
election was held March 27, when the following officers filed their
bonds: E. H. Evans assessor, C. P. Farrell treasurer, L. Mever
justice, J. D. Love clerk, P. H. Hanson constable. The board con-



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. ^)53



sistt'd i)f J. J. Foster chairman, A. Clauson and E. (i. Tri])]). Jiil\
10. tliL' hoard had a joint meeting- with the town board of Clear Lake
and di\ided the wc^rk on the hiyhwax' between the two towns.

ISl>r>. Supervisors, Ct. A. Aldrich chairman, Charles Radspin-
ner, Andrew Clauson; clerk, J. D. Lo\'e; treasurer, Charles b'^arrell;
assessor, ( )le Hau^-se; pistice, Henrv (linsbach.

I SIM). Supervisors. J. A. Aldrich chairman, L. Pashke, A. T.
Austin; clerk, J. D. Love; treasurer, C. P. Parrel; assessor, Ole
Haugse.

1807. Supervisors, J. A. Aldrich chairman, L. Pashke, L'a P.
Winter; clerk, J. D. Love; treasurer, C. P. Parrell; assessor. Ole
Hauyse.

1808. Supervisors, Ira P. Winter chairman, L. Pashke, L.
Pease; clerk, J. D. Love; treasurer, P. (t. Tripp; assessor, A. N.
Haug-en.

1800. Supervisors, G. A. Aldrich chairman, L. A. Pease, A.
T. Austin; clerk, J. D. Love; treasurer, E. (t. Tripp; assessor, A. N.
Haug-en; justice, Mathias Ginsbach; constable, L. A. Bullard.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHP:S.

Aldrich, G. A., was born in Erie county, Pennsylvania, Sep-
tember 24, 184b. He came west and lived in Wisconsin for some
time, and located in this county in November, 1883, taking- up as a
homestead the south half of the northeast quarter and the west half
of the southeast quarter of section 18, in Grand Meadow, where he
resides. He has added the other half of the southeast quarter to his
real estate, and now has a g'ood farm of 240 acres. Has alwavs been
prominent in town aifairs, has been chairman of the town board,
clerk and treasurer of the school board, and postmaster of the (i-rand
Meadow post office from 1890 until the office was discontinued. Dur-
ing- the war he enlisted in Company I, ^^\ Wisconsin Ca\alry. and
served three years. He is one of the leading- men of the township,
and is a hig-hly esteemed citizen.

Anderson, Carl E., came with his parents to this count i-\- fi-om
Norway in 1868, when only four years of agfe, having- been born April
24, 1864. They located in Iowa and lived there until 1877, when thev
removed to this county. The subject of this sketch is at the present
time residing- on his tree claim in Cirand Meadow, the southwest
quarter of section 13, eng-agfed in farming-, and is a g'ood citizen.

Anderberg, John, was born in Sweden November 11, 1831. He
emig-rated to this country and lived in Chicag-o, Illinois, until the fall
of 1887, when he came west and eng-ag-ed in farming- in this county,
filing- a homestead upon the northwest quarter of section 4, in the
town of Grand Meadow, where he still resides. His two sons, Augfust
and C. J., are also eng-ag-ed in farming- in this countv, and are g-ood
farmers, and g-ood citizens.

Anderson, Lars P., was born in the province of Halland,
Sweden, June 23, 1856. He emig-rated to the United States and set-
tled in this county in 1885, where he has since resided. He boug-ht
the southeast quarter of section 35, and the southwest quarter of sec-



954 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



tion 36 in Grand Meadow township, and en.o-ag-ed in farming-. He has
a tjfood farm, well improved, and is a good citizen.

Anderson, Olaf R., was born in the city of Christianstad,
Sweden, Aug-ust 9, 1837. He emig-rated to Illinois and lived there
and in Iowa prior to his coming- to Dakota in the fall of 1877. He then
filed upon 320 acres of land in this county, comprising- the southwest
quarter of section 1, as a tree claim, and the northwest quarter of
section 12, as a homestead, in the town of Grand Meadow, and has
been eng-ag-ed in farming- ever since. He has a g-ood farm and is liv-
ing- on his homestead. He is a respected citizen.

Austin, Austin T., is a native of Norway, and was born in 1848.
He emig-rated to this country and lived in Iowa and Minnesota until
March, 1884, when he removed to Dakota and located in this county.
He has a very fine farm of 480 acres on the east half of section 2 in
Grand Meadow, and in section 36 in Taopi, well improved, with g-ood
building-s and a larg-e live stock. He resides on the northeast quar-
ter of section 2. He has been a member of the town board of super-
visors, is a g-ood farmer, and a respected citizen.

Bentley, Grant U-, was born in Wisconsin, July 2, 1864, and
lived there and in Illinois until the spring- of 1876, when he located
in Minnehaha county and eng-aged in farming-. He resides on his
homestead on the southeast quarter of section 15, in Grand Meadow
township, and has a g-ood farm.

Braley, Winslow, was born at Baraboo, Sauk county, Wis-
consin, October 3, 1854. He came to Dakota from Iowa, February
12, 1876, and took up a homestead and tree claim comprising- the
southeast quarter of section 8, and the southwest quarter of section
9, in Grand Meadow township, and eng-ag-ed in farming-. The only
office he has held so far is that of poundmaster, but he adds in his
statement that if he has g-ood luck he might be president yet.

BuNDE, GuNDER O., a son of Ole T. Bunde, was born in Nor-
way, February 11, 1867, and came to the United States with his par-
ents in 1871, and to this county in 1875. A few years ago he bought
the southeast quarter of section 12, in Grand Meadow, of his father
and has settled down to farming-. He is enterprising and indus-
trious.

Bunde, Ole T., was born in Norway, in 1836, and emigrated to
the United States in 1871 and settled in Iowa. He resided there un-
til 1875, at which time he removed to this county. He took up as a
homestead the north half of the northeast quarter of section 13, in Grand
Meadow, and the west half of the northwest quarter of section 18, in
Lyons, and has since then resided on his homestead in Grand
Meadow. He also took up the southwest quarter of section 18, in
Lyons as a tree claim, and has purchased the south half of the north-
east quarter of section 13, in Grand Meadow. Mr. Bunde is a good
farmer, and has enough of this world's goods to justify him in feel-
ing contented on that point, even when the times are hard. He is a
good neighbor and a good citizen.




John J. Foster.



HISTORY OF xMINNEHAHA COUNTY. 95'/



Carson, Ole J., is a native of Norway, and was born Jul\' 15,
1838. He emig-rated to the United States with his father in 1843,
and located in Wisconsin. After having" lived there thirteen years
thev removed to Minnesota, where Mr. Carson bong-ht a farm and
eng-ag-ed in farming- twenty-eigfht years. He then came to this county
and located in Grand Meadow in 1884, buving- the northeast quarter
of section 1, where he still resides and has a g-ood farm. He recently



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 86 of 99)