Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 87 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 87 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


l)()Ug"ht the southeast quarter of school section 36, in Taopi, and is an
industrious farmer, taking' cheerfullv the ad\ersities which ha\e be-
fallen him during- his lifetime. During liis youth he accidentally
lost three hng-ers, "otherwise," he says, "1 slioidd ha\e been in the
military service in the sixties." A few years ag-o he was so badly
injured in a runaway that the amputation of one leg- became neces-
sary, but he manag-es to get about with a wooden substitute. He
takes an active interest in public affairs, and is a g-ood citizen,

Evans, E. H., was born in Canada West, in 1842. Heemig-rated
to the United States and lived in Michig-an and Iowa until in 1874,
when he settled in the county of Minnehaha, upon the northeast
quarter of section 2b, in the town of Grand Meadow, which he ])r()\ed
up as a homestead. Mr. Evans resided on his homestead until the
fall of 18%, when he sold his farm and remoxed with his familx to
Tracy, Minnesota. He was assessor of (irand Meadow townslii]). a
g-ood neig-hbor and a g-ood citizen.

Parrell, Charles P., was born in Erie county. New York,
Pebruary 28, 1844. He removed to Wisconsin with his parents in
1849. During- the civil war he enlisted in Co. B, 1st Minnesota Cav-
alry, and was in the military service for about two years and a half.
After his discharg-e he resided in Iowa until May, 1872, at which time
he removed to this county and took up 220 acres of land in Lyons
township and pre-empted a quarter section in Benton, which he after-
wards sold. In 1880 he secured the southwest quarter of section 2
in (xrand Meadow, where he has since resided, eng-ag-ed in farming-.
He has held the offices of assessor and treasurer for several years in
(rrand Meadow, and has taken an active part in town affairs. His
farm is a g-ood one, and he is a g-ood farmer and one of the most reli-
able citizens in the countw

Poster, John J., was born Sei)teniber 3, 1842, at Osweg-o, Tiog-a
county. New York. He removed with his parents to Wisconsin in
1847, and obtained his education in the common and hig-h schools
in that state. In 1861 he enlisted for three months in Co. E, 1st
Wisconsin reg-iment, but served four months before being- dis-
charged. In 1862 he enlisted in Co. P, 23d Wisconsin, and served
until the close of the war. On the 21st day of May, 1876, he came
to this county, and took up as a homestead the northwest quarter
of section 17 in (xrand Meadow, where he has since resided. He
has added to his homestead the southwest quarter of the same sec-
tion, and has a good farm. He is not only a capable farmer, but
also a good neighbor and highly respected citizen. In 1880, he \yas
appointed postmaster of Grand Meadow post office which position
he held until he resio-ned in the fall of 18<)0. He has been chairman



958 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



of the board of supervisors of Grand Meadow for several years,
and has otherwise been honored officially by his townsmen.

GiNSBACH, Henry, was born in Jackson county, Iowa, Novem-
ber 25, 1842. He lived there until he was twenty-seven years of ag-e,
at which time he went to Kansas, thence to Nebraska, and in 1875 to
the Black Hills. From there he returned to his native state, where
he remained until 1883, when he came to this county and took up a
homestead of 160 acres in section 32, Grand Meadow, where he re-
sided until recently when he removed to Sioux Palls. He was
justice of the peace and a member of the town and school board sev-
eral years.

Haugen, Andrew N., was born in Norway in 1855, and emig-rated
to Dakota in May, 1878. He settled in this county and secured the
southwest quarter of section 3, in the town of Grand Meadow, which
he proved up as a homestead, and has lived there ever since, and has
a g-ood farm. He was supervisor of the town board in 1889, and is a
respected citizen.

Haugse, Knut, a native of Norway, was born in 1855. He emi-
g-rated to America and came to Dakota in April, 1880, when he set-
tled in this county. He boug'ht and now owns the northeast quarter
of section 11, in the town of Grand Meadow, where he resides. He
has a g-ood farm and is a g-ood citizen.

HiSEY, William, was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, Febru-
ary 17, 1830. He lived there and in Minnesota and Iowa before he
settled in Minnehaha county in the spring- of 1878, where he resided
until his death which occurred May 27, 1897. He owned consider-
able real estate in section 30 in Grand Meadow, and section 25 in
Clear Lake; was an industrious, honest, uprig-ht citizen, and well
liked by his neig-hbors.

Kadinger, John, was born in Dodg-e county, Wisconsin, on the
28th day of October, 1854. He lived there and in Illinois before he
came to Dakota on the 17th day of March, 1879. He located in Clear
Lake township, taking- up a homestead and a tree claim. The home-
stead he afterwards traded off for five lots in the city of Sioux Falls,
where he also owns a house. The tree claim he still retains, which
is a g-ood farm and has a living- spring-, furnishing- a larg-e suppl}^ of
g-ood water; this place he leases, and resides in Grand Meadow
township with his family, wife, six boys and a girl, where he is en-
g-ag-ed in farming- about 800 acres of land in sections 34, 35, 26 and
27. He is a good farmer and an enterprising citizen.

Karsrud, Martin, was born in Norway in 1853, and emigrated
to the United States and settled in Iowa in 1869. In 1878 he came to
this county and took up a homestead on the southeast quarter of
section 10, in Grand Meadow, and the southwest quarter of section
11 in the same township as a tree claim. He resided on his home-
stead until his decease, which occurred on the 25th day of Septem-
l)er, 1895, having been kicked by a colt the day preceding, which
caused his death. He was a very active, enterprising citizen; was a
member of the town board of supervisors in 1888-9, and was chair-
man of the board in 1890.



f^


\




i






^m^^n


w


*^Bp^" '^


p*" '



Lkwis .Mi-:yi:k.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. %1



Karsrud, Jacob A., was l^orn in Norway A|)ril 17, 1S55, and
LMiiig-rated to the United States in 1875, and settled in Iowa. In 1S7S
he removed to this county and took up the northwest (juarter of sec-
tion 10 as a homestead, and the northeast quarter of the same sec-
tion as a tree claim. The tree claim he since sold to his brother
Anton, and resides on his homestead. He has quite a <^-ood farm, is
in comfortable circumstances and is an honest uprio-ht citizen and
^vell liked by his neig'hbors.

Karsrud, P. Anton, a resident of (irand Mead(.w, was a
l)rother of Jacob, and of Otto Karsrud, residing- in Taopi, and also
of the late Martin Karsrud. There were seven l)rothers in all who
emig-rated to this country, three of whom now reside in Colorado,
and a sister who resides in Iowa. Notwithstanding- this larg-e emi-
gration from one family there are others who still reside in Norwav.
— Since writing- the foreg-oingf, Anton died at the hospital in Sioux-
Falls, February 17, 1897.

Love, J. Dwight, was born in Waukesha, Wisconsin, Septemi)er
11, 1860. He was reared on a farm, and obtained a g-ood education
before starting- out for himself. During- the spring- of 1801, he came
to Grand Meadow in this county, and purchased the southeast quar-
ter of section 20, and the northeast quarter of section 29. His resi-
dence is located on the southeast corner of section 20. In the fall of
1891, he was appointed town clerk, and was elected to that office at the
four successive township elections. Before removing- from Wiscon-
sin he taug-ht school several terms, and since coming- to Grand Mead-
ow has taug-ht the school in his own district five terms. He is a good
neig-hbor and a higfhly esteemed citizen.

Meyer, Lewis, was born in Hanover, Germany, Februar\ 15,
1845. He emig-rated to this country and lived in Wisconsin and Iowa
until May 18, 1881, when he removed to Dakota and settled in this
county. He is at the present time the owner of several hundretl
acres of land in Grand Meadow, and has one of the largfest and best
improved farms in the county, with substantial and commodious
l)uilding-s. He resides on the southeast quarter of the southeast
([uarter of section 22. He has held several town offices,, is an enter-
prising- farmer and a g^ood citizen. During- the war of the rebellion
he enlisted in the army for one year, and served until the close of the
war.

Pearson, Nels E., is a native of Sweden, and was born June '>,
1861. After his coming- to the United states he lived in Wisconsin,
Illinois and Iowa until in the spring- of 1889, when he settled in this
county. He owns a g-ood farm of 240 acres on the south half of the
northwest quarter of section 36, and the northwest quarter of sec-
tion 31, in the town of Grand Meadow, where he resides at this
writing-.

Radspinner, Charles H., was born in Germany in 1836. He
emig-rated to the United States, lived in Indiana and Iowa, and set-
tled in Dakota in 1879. He then secured as a homestead the south
half of the northeast quarter and the north half of the southeast



962 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY

quarter of section 7, in the town of (xrand Meadow, and has lived
there ever since. He is a g-ood farmer and a respected citizen.

Steinfurth, Constantine, is a native of Germany, and was
born July 15, 1869. He came to Dakota in the fall of 1883, and eng-ag-ed
in farming- in this county, w^here he now has a fine farm of 320 acres,
comprising- the south half of section 33 in Grand Meadow, the build-
ing-s on which cost about S3,000. He resides on his farm, is an
enterprising- farmer, and a g-ood citizen.

Thompson, Charles F., was born in St. Lawrence county.
New York, April 4, 1841, and was raised on a farm. When twenty
years of ag-e he enlisted in the 60th New York Infantry, and was in
the military service three years, nine months and eleven days. After
the war he settled down in Hardin count}^ Iowa, and eng-ag-ed in
farming- for ten years. In February, 1876, he removed to Lincoln
countv, Dakota, but the next May took up as a homestead the north-
west quarter of section 12 in Clear Lake township, and in the fall
made a tree claim filing- on the southwest quarter of section 7 in
Grand Meadow township, where he has since resided. Mr. Thomp-
son is a g-ood farmer and an esteemed. citizen.

Thompson, Mrs. Ulba, wife ol Charles F. Thompson, was
born in Reedsburg-, Wisconsin. Her maiden name was Ulba Knowles.
In 1876 she came to this county with her parents, who took up a
homestead in Clear Lake township. In 1877 she married Mr.
Thompson. In 1881 she w-as licensed to preach, by the Free Meth-
odist denomination, but not until eleven years later did she avail
herself of the privileg-e, except occasionally. In 1892 she commenced
devoting a portion of her time to building- up the interests of the
Free Methodists in Minnehaha and Lake counties. At Franklin, in
Lake county, she organized a society with twenty-seven members.
She also preached in the Vincent neighborhood in Wavne, and at
other places as opportunity offered. During the last three years
she has preached at Wall Lake, .and now holds two services "there
every Sunday, and also one every Thursday at the same place. In
addition to this work she preaches at stated times in the Vincent
neighborhood, and also at tt^ Golden rod school house in Lincoln
county. During the winter of 1897-8, while holding revival services
at a school house in Wall Lake, the school district authorities de-
cided that it was not expedient that the school house should be occu-
pied for such purpose. Upon receiving notice to this effect she
came to the conclusion that the society she had organized was strong-
enough to build a small church at Wall Lake, and she obtained a
subscription of S325 for that purpose during the same evening that
she received the notice. In connection with other members of the
society the subscription was increased, and a church was built,
twent3^-three by forty-two feet in sii^e, which was dedicated Sep-
tember 18, 1898. S. A.Hoytgavethesocietyoneacreandahalf of land
on the west corner of section 21 in JVall Lake, where the church
building is erected. When it is known that Mrs. Thompson has to
drive eighteen miles every Sunday to preach to her congregation at
Wall Lake, and that after her morning service there, she goes either



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 963



to her Lincoln count}' or Wayne charg-e and preaches durinLi- the
afternoon, and then returns to Wall Lake and holds evening- ser-
vices, it is unnecessary to add that she has her heart in the work, and
is a woman of more than ordinary energ-y and ability.

TiNKHAM, Merkitt J., was born at Baraboo, Wisconsin, Sep-
tember 23, 1852. He removed to this county and located a home-
stead and tree claim on the northwest quarter of section 7 and the
southwest quarter of section b in Grand Meadow on the 21st dav of
May, 1876, which was the same day that J. J. Poster located his land
in section 17. Since then he has purchased the southeast (piarter of
section 12 in Clear Lake, adjoining- his homestead, and the north half
of the northeast quarter of section 18 in Split Rock, and now owns
560 acres of g-ood farm land in this county. He lived on his home-
stead the first seven years, and then moved on to his tree claim
where he has a fine, larg-e house, surrounded by a g"rove of twenty
acres. He has a larg-e number of horses and cattle, and has never
had a mortgfag-e on either homestead or tree claim since taken. He
moved into the city of Sioux Falls in the fall of 18')5, where he now
resides. Mr. Tinkham's record shows what a man with grit and
energ-y can do with only an old team and fifty dollars in money to
start with, which was all he possessed when he first settled in (rrand
iNIeadow. He has been a member of the town and school boards
and town assessor two years, and has always taken a prominent
part in town affairs.

Tripp, Egbert, is a native of Ohio, and was born November 1-1-,
1851. He resided in Wisconsin and Iowa a few years, and came to
this countv May 5, 187'). He located a homestead on the northeast
quarter of section 20, in the town of Grand Meadow, where he still
resides, and has a good farm. He has held several offices, has
been town treasurer five years, chairman of the town board one year
and school district treasurer fivt years. He is a g-ood farmer, and
highly esteemed as a neig^hbor and citizen.

WiLLiG, Phillip, is a native of Germany, and was born March
7, 1864. He became a resident of this county in 1883, and owns
about 200 acres of land in sections 28 and 33, in Grand Meadow,
where he resides eng-ag-ed in farming-, and has a very fine farm. He
is an enterprising and g-ood citizen.

Wilder, Reuben J., is a native of Indiana and born December
22, 1849. He resided in Wisconsin for some time before he settled
in Minnehaha county in May, 1876, when he secured the south half
of the southeast quarter of section 7, and the north half of the north-
east quarter of section 18, in the town of Grand Meadow, which he
proved up as a homestead, and where he still resides. He has held
several school and town offices and was town clerk for two years.
He is well liked as a neighbor and is a good citizen.

Winter, Ira P., was born in New York, January 25, 185(1, and
removed with his parents to Clayton county, Iowa, where he resided
until 1874, at which time he came to this county and settled in Grand
Meadow. He took up a homestead, tree claim and pre-emption in



%4 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY



sections 23 and 25, but disposed of his homestead and made his home
on the tree claim, the northeast quarter of section 23. He has been
chairman of the town board several years; has always been quite
active in political affairs, and consulted by a g-reat number of candi-
dates for office since his residence in Grand Meadow about the time
of holding- count}' conventions. He is energ-etic and persistent in
whatever he undertakes, and is a respected citizen.

Winter, Sr., Milo W., was born in New York, in 1824. Be-
fore coming- to this county in 1874, he had resided in Clayton county,
Iowa. He has always been a farmer, and when he decided to make
his home in Minnehaha county, he took up a homestead in section 25,
in Grand Meadow, and located there. He has held the office of town
treasurer and assessor and has been a justice of the peace in Grand
Meadow for about fifteen years. He is well liked as a neig-hbor, and
is a g'ood citizen.

Winter, Jr., Milo W., was born in Clayton county, Iowa, in
September, 1856, and was reared on a farm and educated in the pub-
lic schools. He came to this county in the fall of 1874 and settled in
Grand Meadow on the southeast quarter of section 26, and resided
there until he sold his farm in the fall of 1895. He is a g-ood neig-h-
bor and a respected citizen.



CLEAR LAKE.

(103-52)

This township is bounded on the west by McCook coiint\-, on
the north by Buffalo, on the east by (irand Meadow, and on tlie
south by Humboldt townships. The boundary lines of this township
were surveyed by Wm. J. Neeley in Auo-ust, 185'), and the subdivi-
sion was made l)v H. T. Austin in June, 1867. It contains 22,5f)().82
acres of land. The name was sug-g-ested by a lake partly in section 1
called Clear Lake. This lake at the time of the survey, covered
550.81) acres in the townships of Buffalo, Taopi, Grand Meadow, and
Clear Lake, where it covered 226.10 acres of section 1. There was
also a lake in section 34, which covered 159 acres, called Lost Lake,
and also a body of water in sections (> and 7 covering- 50.20 acres, in
which one of the tributaries of Skunk creek had its source and flowed
in a southeasterly direction. Edward Packard, who settled near
Clear Lake in Buffalo township, in 1879, said to the writer: "When
I went to Buffalo in 1879, Clear Lake was nearly dry, and in 18S0
there was onlv about one acre covered with water. During- the
spring" of 1881, known as the spring- of the hig-h water, the lake filled
up, and remained quite full of water for several years, during- which
time perch, pike, bullheads, pickerel and a few suckers came into
the lake, and became quite plentiful, but were finally destroyed by
the freezing- of the lake."

Luther S. Gag-e and Charles F. Thompson settled in this town-
ship in May, 1876, taking- up land in sections 1, 2, and 12. In 1878,
James Gilmore, Albert Larson, W. A. H. (rag-e, Patrick McAvary,
John Studenmeier and Xavier Zimmer settled there, and became
prosperous farmers.

The first school house was built in 1879, on the northwest (|uar-
ter of section 12, and is known as the Clear Lake school house.
Miss Clara Williams taug-ht the firs1 school.

The nearest shipping- points are on the Chicagfo. St. Paul, Min-
neapolis & Omaha railroad at Humboldt and Montrose. It is a strict-
ly farming- community, and its citizens are industrious and ])r(>s-
perous.

ZiON Baptist Church. — This church was org-anized October
20, 1891, with nine members. In 1892 a church building- was erected
on the northeast corner of section 11, at a cost of SI, 500. Its first
pastor was the Rev. J. T. Gallag-her, and he was succeeded by the
Reverends L. D. Worth and J. M. Hupp. There is a prosperous
Sunday school with about fifty scholars, connected with the church,
also a B. Y. P. U. and a Woman's Missionary Circle. Services are
held every Sunday, and the membership at the present writing- is
fiftv-four.



966 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



CLEAR LAKE TOWNSHIP BOARD.

The records of the board commence with June 1, 1881, at which
time it was ordered to post notices for holding- a special election for
the purpose of deciding- whether the town was in favor of bonding- the
county in the sum of S20,000 for the building- of bridg-es. The meet-
ing- was held and the proposition voted down. The first town war-
rant was issued at this date in the sum of S7.40 to W. J. Hunt. L. S.
Gag-e was chairman of the board, and the other members were John
Lott and L. C. Summers, W. J. Hunt clerk.

1882. Supervisors, L. S. Gag-e chairman, John Lott, L. C. Sum-
mers; clerk, W. J. Hunt; assessor, E. S. Gag-e; treasurer, Daniel
Kimball; justice, W. J. Hunt; constable, Oscar P. Coats. The town
was divided into three road districts.

1883. Supervisors, L. S. Gag-e chairman, John Lott, L. C.
Summers; clerk, W. J. Hunt; assessor, E. S. Gag-e; treasurer, David
Kimball. The treasurer reported he had received $231.22 during- the
year, and that there was a balance on hand of $13.95.

1884. Supervisors, L. S. Gag-e chairman, J. R. Williams, John
Stone; clerk, W. J. Hunt; treasurer, M. W. Boulette; assessor, E. S.
Gag-e; justices, W. J. Hunt, L. E. Gag-e; constables, Bentley Sparks,
John Stone. The town was divided into four road districts.

1885. There is no record of the annual meeting-, but from the
proceeding-s of the board during- the year it appears that W. J. Hunt
was chairman, J. R. Williams and John Ebersviller the other two
supervisors, and G. H. Pinney clerk.

1886. Supervisors, L. S. Gage chairman, A. Larson, John
Ebersviller; clerk, G. H. Pinney; treasurer, Georg-e Boulette; asses-
sor, O. P. Coats.

1887. Supervisors, Albert Larson chairman, E. S. Gag-e, James
Gilmore; clerk, G. H. Pinney; assessor, L. S. Gag-e.

1888. Supervisors, Albert Larson chairman, James Gilmore,
Xavier Zimmer; clerk, G. H. Pinney; treasurer, G. A. Boulette; as-
sessor, O. P. Coats; justice, L. S. Gag-e. August 30, the board met
in joint session with the board of Montrose township, McCook
county, for the purpose of dividing the road work on the line between
the two towns.

1889. Supervisors, Albert Larson chairman, James Gilmore,
Xavier Zimmer; clerk, G. H. Pinney; assessor, O. P. Coats; treas-
urer, E. S. Gag-e; justices, James Gilmore, G. H. Pinney; constables.
Prank Gage, John Staudenmeier.

1890. Supervisors, L. S. Gage chairman, William Zimmerman,
John Lott; clerk, G. H. Pinney; treasurer, E. S. Gage; assessor, E.
T. Willey; justice, L. S. Gage; constable, G. H. Pinney.

1891. Supervisors, O. P. Coats chairman, Albert Larson,
James (lilmore; clerk, G. H. Pinney; treasurer, E. S. Gage; asses-
sor, John Lacy; justices, James Gilmore and August Mever; con-
stables, G. H. Pinney, George Miller.

1892. Supervisors, O. P. Coats chairman, James Gilmore,
Albert Larson; clerk, G. H. Pinney; treasurer, E. S. Gage; asses-
sor, G. A. Boulette; constable, J. Kapaun.



HISTORY OP MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 967



1803. Supervisors, Albert Larson, Sam Wood, John Staiuleii-
nieier; clerk, O. P. Coats; assessor, John Ciilmore; treasurer. 10. S.
(iao-e; justices, James (xilmore; constable, Jos. Kapaun.

1894. Supervisors, James (xilmore, A. G. Williams, Xavier
Zimmer; clerk, G. A. Boulette; assessor, O. P. Coats; treasurer, K.
S. (xao-e. April 6, John Lott was ap])()inte(l treasurer in place of 10.
S. (Tag-e, who resio-ned.

1895. Supervisors, A. Larson chairman, A. (). Williams,
James Gilmore; clerk, G. A. Boulette; treasurer. John Lott; as-
sessor, Prank Hanisch.

1890. Supervisors, Albert Larson chairman, James (iilmore,
A. (t. Williams; clerk, (t. A. Boulette; treasurer, Charles Zimmers;
assessor. Prank Hanisch.

1897. Supervisors, A. Larson chairman, E. S. Cxagfe, James
Gilmore; clerk, (t. A. Boulette; treasurer, Charles Zimmer; as-
sessor. Prank Hanisch.

1898. Supervisors, A. Larson chairman, E. S. Crag-e, James
Gilmore; clerk, W. R. Boulette; treasurer, Charles Zimmer; as-
sessor. Prank Hanisch.

1899. Supervisors, Steve Zimmer, E. S. Ckio-e, James Gilmf)re;
clerk, W. R. Boulette; treasurer, Charles Zimmer; assessor, Earl
Gag-e.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

Boulette, Melanchthon W., was born in New York, but came
to Sioux Palls in 1876, and took up a farm near where the fair
g-rounds are now located; this farm he sold in the early eigfhties to
Harry HoUister, and then moved to Clear Lake township, and
settled in section 13. He died several years ag-o, but his widow is
still occupying- the homestead, and three sons, Pred, George, and
William, are all residents of Clear Lake township. Pred is man-
aging' the home farm, and Georgfe resides in section 1, and has been
assessor, treasurer and clerk of the town l^oard several N-ears. They
are g'ood farmers and respected citizens.

Boulette, W^. R., was born in Albany, N. Y., in 1873. He came
with his father ]M. W. Boulette, to Dakota in 1876, and lived several
vears in Sioux Palls township, but in the early eigfhties removed to
Clear Lake township, where he has since remained. He resides on
the southwest quarter of section 15, eng-ag-ed in farming-. He has



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 87 of 99)