Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 89 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 89 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


homestead the northwest quarter of section 18 in Highland, where
he still resides with his family and has a g-ood farm. He has been
constable six years, supervisor of the town board one year, and
school director three years. He is a good citizen.

Ellefson, Iver E., was born in Rock county, Illinois, Decem-
ber 14, 1851. He lived there and in Iowa until 1874, when he came
to this county. He took up as a homestead the west half of the
northwest quarter and the west half of the southwest quarter of sec-
tion 15 in Highland, where he has since resided, and has a g-ood farm.
He has held several town offices, and is at present chairman of the
town board. He is an enterprising and respected citizen, and a good
neighbor.

Elveson, Erick O., is a native of Norway, and was born Decem-
ber 23, 1849. In 1869 he emigrated to this country, stopped in Illi-
nois a week and then went to Iowa, where he lived five years. June
22, 1874, he came to this county together with S. Rislov and others,
all of whom secured land and became permanent settlers. Mr. Elveson
took up a homestead on the southeast quarter of section 17, where he
still resides; also a tree claim on the northeast quarter of section 20,
and has bought 40 acres of school land, all in Highland. He is a
prosperous farmer, and an esteemed citizen.

Espeseth, O. a., came to the United States from Norway,
where he was born February 8, 1849, in the vicinity of the city of
Bergen. He lived in Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota" be-
fore he came to Dakota, where he arrived on the 27th dav of May,
1879. He then filed a pre-emption upon the east half of the north-
west quarter of section 27, and the east half of the southeast quarter
of section 22, in Highland, where he resided until 1885.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 979



Gallagher, Patrick, is a native of Ireland, and was I)(»rn in
1837. He emitrrated to America in 1804, and traveled about the
country until in 1875, when he settled in this county. He took up as
a homestead the southeast quarter of section 30, and as a tree claim
the southwest quarter of section 29. He is well-to-do, has a trood
farm, and is a g-ood farmer.

Grant, (tUSTAVE A., was born in Norway, ^larch 4. 18(.(). He
emig-rated and lived in Marseilles, LaSalle county, Illinois, until
1874, when he came to Dakota. In 1875 he located in Minnehaha
county, and in 1882 filed a pre-emption on the southwest quarter of
section 10, in Hi«-hland. He married a daug-hter of Ole Tofte, and
resides in section 30, and has a o-ood farm. He is a well-known and
respected citizen, and has held several offices; was town clerk eleven
years, deputy postmaster several years, and assessor.

Graxt, L. a., was born in Norway, June 28, 1861. He first re-
sided in Illinois, but in 1874 removed to this county, and was among-
the first settlers of Highland township. He was appointed post-
master of Hig-hland postoffice in 1886, and held the office until it was
discontinued, and has also been town and school treasurer for sev-
eral years. He resides on the southwest quarter of sectit)n 30, has
a g-ood farm, and is a hig-hly esteemed citizen.

Graves, Ole O., was born in Norway September 17, 1847. He
eniig-rated and lived in Illinois six months, then removed to Iowa,
where he resided eig-hteen years. May 22, 1874, he came to this
county, and settled in Hig-hland, where he has since resided, and was
one of the first settlers of that town. He took up as a homestead
the east half of the northwest quarter, and the east half of the south-
west quarter of section 15, which is now a g-ood farm. He has held
several important town offices, and is a g-ood nei<^hbor, and an up-
rig-ht citizen.

Lef:, Gilbert E., is a native of Norway, and was born July 30,
1S4S. He emig-rated to the United States in 1869 and settled in 'Wis-
consin, and remained there until 1873. In April of that year he
came to this county and during- that month took uj) the southeast
({uarter of section 3 in Valley Spring-s, making- his liling-s the last
day the land office was located at Vermillion. This claim he after-
wards disposed of, and on the 21st day of June, 1874, removed to
Hig-hland and took up as a homestead the southwest quarter of sec-
tion 34, and as a tree claim the northeast quarter of section
22. Since then he has purchased farm lands so that at this
writing- he is the owner of 1,250 acres, (juite a larg-e portion of which
adjoins his first entries in Hig-hland. He has a larg-e family, and
will have to purchase more land to leave 100 acres for each one of his
children. With such a record it is unnecessary to add that he is in-
dustrious and enterprising-. He is a g-ood neig-hbor and a respected
citizen.

Megard, Severt I., was born in Norway in 1857. He eniig-rated
to the United States and lived in Michig-an until he removed to Da-
kota, where he arrived September 9, 1874. Upon attaining- his ma-
jority he boug-ht the southeast quarter of section 20 in Highland.



980 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY,



where he now resides, and has a good farm. He has been supervisor
of the town board seven years, and a member of the school board for
several years. He is a g-ood farmer and a respected citizen.

Olson, Gust., is a native of Sweden, and was born January 11,
1848. He emig-rated to the United States and lived in Indiana and
Illinois until he removed to this county, where he arrived on the 27th
dav of April, 1876, and has been a well-known resident of Hig-hland
since then. He filed a pre-emption on the southeast quarter of sec-
tion 34, where he resides. He has been a successful farmer, and has
purchased several hundred acres of land adjoining- and near to his
home, which he is farming-. He has held the office of constable sev-
eral years, and has been chairman of the town board* He is a man of
more than ordinary energy and force, is a g-ood neig'hbor and an hon-
est, uprig-ht citizen.

Rasmusson, Ole, was born in Norway September 29, 1861. He
emig-rated to the United States in 1879, and settled in Dakota, where
he has since resided. He boug-ht the southwest quarter of section
22, where he resides and has a g-ood farm. He is an enterprising-
farmer, and a g-ood citizen.

RiSLOV, Sever J., is a native of Norway, and was born February
21, 1841. He emig-rated to the United States, and arrived in Illinois
Aug-ust 20, 1864, where he remained two years. He then removed to
Iowa, and after having- lived there for eig-ht years removed to Hig-h-
land, this county, where he arrived on the 22d day of June, 1874. He
took up as a homestead the northwest quarter of section 22, and as a
timber claim the northeast quarter of section 21, where he now re-
sides. He has held the office of assessor, and has been chairman of
the town board of supervisors. When he first came to this countv
quite a colony of people accompanied him, and on the 23d and 24th
(lays of June, 1876, they took up 2,240 acres of land in Hig-hland.
Among- them were Christopher Benson, Elias Bolstad and Hermund
Opstedahl with their families, also Ole Bolstad, Ole Opstedahl, John
Opstedahl, Erick Elveson and Edward Olson. This colony at once
l)uilt three sod houses, one for Benson, one for Opstedahl and one for
S. J. Rislov. At that time the only residents in Hig-hland were" Ole
Graves, Iver Ellefson, Gilbert Lee, Ole Knutson and Ole Tofte.
The northwest quarter of section 28 and the northeast quarter of
section 29 had been taken up by some one, who after proving- up sold
out and left the township. Mr. Rislov at one time assessed the town-
sliip when the snow was so deep that he w^ent about on snow-shoes.
He has a g-ood farm, and is g-reatly respected by his neig-hbors.

Ronning, Esten, is a native of Norway, and was born June 24,
1850. He emig-rated and lived in Michig-an and Wisconsin before lo-
cating in Dakota in February, 1878. He filed a pre-emption on the
south half and the northeast quarter of section 5, in Hig-hland, and
has since resided there. He was the first constable in Hig-hland. and
held that office four years, and has been treasurer of his school dis-
trict eleven years. He is a g-ood farmer, and a respected citizen.

Skjegstad, Iver C, is a native of Norway, and was born on the
26th day of March, 1838. He emig-rated to the United States and
settled in Illinois in 1872, and from there came to Dakota in March,




Gust. Olson.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 083



1874, and to this county on the 5th day of iMa\- followiiio-. He toi.k
up as a homestead the southwest quarter of section IS, in lliiihland.
While in Illinois, he worked at his trade — that of a ear])i'nter and
since coming- to this county has done some carpenter work, hut fann-
iii',;- has been his ])rincipal occupation. He is a o-ood and rrliahlc
citi/en.

ToFTE, ()LK, one of the very first settlers of Hi,o-hland, was horn
in Norway, September 22, 1822. He emio-rated to this countr\- and
li\ed in Illinois until 1874, when he removed to Dakota and located
at Vermillion, but shortly after took up land in Hi^diland. He filed
u[)on the northwest quarter of section 10, as a homestead, and upon
the north half of the northeast quarter of the same section as a tree
claim, and now has one of the best farms in that town, with very fine
building-s and improvements. He built the iirst frame house in
Hio-hland, which is still preserved as a memento of pioneer days. He
is hi_o-hl\' esteemed as a neio-hbor and citizen, and in 18S5 was chair-
man of the town board of supervisors.

Wold, Asle K., was born in Norway, in 1840. He emio-rated
and lived in Illinois until 1875, when he settled in this county. He
took up as a homestead the northwest quarter of section 27, where
he resides, and also owns the northeast quarter of section 28, in
Highland. He was one of the first supervisors of the town board
after the township was organized and its chairman three years. He
is a good farmer, and highly respected as a neighbor and citizen.

Walter, Horacp:, was born in Bradford county, PennsyUania.
January 26, 1854. He lived in Minnesota for several years, and re-
moved from there to this county in April, 1876. He took up the
southwest quarter of section 33, and the southeast (juarter of section
32, in Highland township, and has a very good farm, with fine im-
provements. He has been supervisor of the town board, and four
years its chairman, also justice of the peace. He is an enterprising,
industrious farmer, a good neighbor, and a highly esteemed citizen.

Walter, Ransom, was born in Broome county, New York, No-
vember 22, 1840. He received a good common school education, and
when he attained his majority engaged in farming in Pennsylvania,
Iowa and Minnesota. On the 23d day of April, 1876, he came to this
county and settled in Highland, taking up the northeast t[uarter of
section 33, and the northwest quarter of section 34. Subse<iuently
he purchased the northeast quarter of section 34 and the southeast
quarter of section 28, and was engaged in extensive and successful
farming until in January, 1803, when he sold his farm to(iust. Olson
and Gilbert E. Lee, and removed to Jasper, Minnesota, where he
now^ resides. While a resident of this county he held several offices;
was county commissioner in 1883 and 1884, and was justice of the
peace and chairman of the town board of supervisors in Highland.
He was one of the commissioners who appraised the right-of-way
damage when the Willmar & Sioux Falls raijway company estab-
lished its line of road through Minnehaha county. Mr. Walter was
not only a good farmer, but is a man of good judgment, and a highly
respected citizen.



liOaAN TOW^NSHIP.

(104-48)

This township is bounded on the north by Lake county, on the
east by Hig-hland, south by Edison, and west by Dell Rapids town-
ships. The west line was surveyed by W. J. Neeley in July, 1859.
The north, south and east lines were surveyed in 1864 by M, K.
Armstrong-, and the subdivision of the township was made in No-
vember that year by the same surveyor. It contains 22,904.43 acres
of land. Pipestone creek enters the township near the northwest
corner of section 3 and pursues a southeasterly course, leaving- the
township near the southeast corner of section 35. It has four small
tributaries within the township. In the northern portion there are
two mounds of sufficient elevation to be quite noticeable, from the




Sod House Occupied as Residence by A. H. Semmen
UNTIE 1896.

top of which, with a good glass, quite a number of the cities and vil-
lages in Minnesota and South Dakota can be seen. Aside from these
mounds the surface is almost level, probably the most so of anv
township in the county.

Some land was taken up in 1872, but the actual settlement of the
township began in 1873. Rawly Corothers and his two sons William
and James, John J. Stromme, Walter Crisp, James Hart, S. P.
Kringen, John E. Johnson, George L. Wood and John A. Kilness
were among those who settled there during- that vear. Mr. Coro-



HISTORY OP MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 985



thers built a plank dwelling- house, cutting- plank eig-hteen feet in
leng-th in two pieces, and standing- them on end with sod on the out-
side. The roof was cov'ered with boards. The lumber was haulei
fr(Mn Worthing-ton, IVIinnesota. Walter Crisp built the first sod
n^sidence in Log-an on section 8; his son IClmer was the hrst wiiite
bov and Martha Corothers the first white g-irl born in the townshi]).
In the fall of 1874 a school election was held. Walter Crisj) was
elected director, Ed. Hart clerk, and James Hart treasurer. The
board employed James Hart to teach a three months school at his
own house — a sod house twelve by fourteen feet — located on the
northwest quarter of section 8. There was a stag-e road running-
east and west throug-h the township a little south of the center at an
earlv dav, and in 1874 a post office was established on the southeast
corner of section 18. Hiram Harvey was the first postmaster and
he was succeeded by J. E. Johnson. The office remained there
about -four years, when it was removed to the southeast corner of the
northeast quarter of section 19, where it remained for about the
same leng-th of time, and was then discontinued. There are some
\erv enterprising- farmers in this township, and Log-an has at all
times been quite an important factor in the affairs of the county.

LOGAN TOW^XSHIP BOARD.

The town officers elected in 1881 were: Supervisors, James
Corothers chairman, John A. Stromme, Nels Henjum; Allen K.
Ham re clerk, Edgar Harvev treasurer, John E. Johnson assessor,
James Hart, Albert J. Stromme justices of the peace, (xeo. L. Wood
constable. Aug-ust 13 the board met at James N. Corothers' resi-
dence, Edg-ar Harvey tendered his resignation as treasurer, and
W. H. Harrison was appointed to fill the vacancy.

1882. Supervisors, James N. Corothers chairman, John Kil-
ness, J. T. Harvev; A. K. Hamre clerk, John E. Johnson assessor,
Charley Betchold treasurer, Walter Crisp constable. The first war-
rant was issued Januarv 2, 1882, to John E. Johnson for S17, for ser-
vices as assessor in 1881. J. T. Harvey having- removed from the
township, Ole Mikkelson was appointed supervisor June 3, to fill
vacancv until January 1, 1883.

1S83. Supervisors, J. X. Corothers chairman, Ole Mikkelson,
John A. Kilness; clerk, Allen K. Hamre.

1884. Supervisors, James Hart chairman, Walter Crisp, C.
Hanson; John Stromme clerk, Georg-e L. Wood treasurer, John E.
Johnson assessor, John Hale, Marten O. Helland constables. At the
annual meeting- it was resolved, that all nonresidents of the town-
ship hunting- prairie chickens with g-un and dog- should be liable to a
fine of not less than S2, nor more than S5, for each offense, the monev
to be used for public schools in town. Twenty-four \otes were cast
at this meeting-.

1885. Supervisors, James Hart chairman, James N. Corothers,
Carelius Hanson; John A. Stromme clerk, John E. Johnson assessor.
Geo. K. Wood treasurer, Allen K. Hamre, Walter Crisp justices of
the peace, Jens E. Johnson, M\'ron Guild constables.

1886. Supervisors, James Hart chairman, W. A. Guild, James



986 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



N. Corothers; Carelius Hanson clerk, Geo. L. Wood treasurer, John
K. Johnson assessor. It was moved and carried that none of the
supervisors hold more than one office at a time.

1S87. Supervisors, James Hart chairman, James N. Corothers,
W. A. Guild; Carelius Hanson clerk, John E. Johnson assessor, Geo.
L. Wood treasurer, Nels Henjum, Walter Crisp justices of the
peace, Jens E. Johnson, Elmer Carr constables.

1888. Supervisors, James Hart chairman, James N. Corothers,
W. A. Guild; Carelius Hanson clerk, P. S. Gordon treasurer, John
E. Johnson assessor, Gary Harvey, Edg-ar Jarrad constables, Nels
Henjum was elected justice of the peace to fill vacancy.

1880. Supervisors. James Hart chairman, James N. Corothers,
W. A. Guild; Carelius Hanson clerk, P. S. Gordon treasurer, John
E. Johnson assessor, W. Merry, Geo. L.Wood justices of the peace,
(xeo. Bapp, William Wood constables.

1890. Supervisors, James N. Corothers chairman, James Hart,
Albert H. Semmen; Carelius Hanson clerk, P. S. Gordon treasurer,
John K. Johnson assessor, John Hart justice of the peace.

I 89 I. Supervisors, James N. Corothers chairman, A. H. Sem-
men, C. P. Dutcher; Carelius Hanson clerk, P. S. Gordon treasurer,
C. Stromme assessor, John E. Johnson, John Hart justices of the
peace, William Wood, Bruce Hart constables.

1892. Supervisors, James Corothers chairman, A. H. Semmen,
Geo. L. Wood; Carelius Hanson clerk, P. S. Gordon treasurer, John
E. Johnson assessor, W. Merry justice of the peace. A motion to
l)uild a town hall was defeated.

1893. Supervisors, James N. Corothers chairman, Geo. L.
Wood, A. H. Semmen; C. Hanson clerk, P. S. Gordon treasurer,
John E. Johnson assessor, W. Merry, John Hart justices of the
peace, M. Corothers, Geo. S. Bapp constables.

1894. Supervisors, James N. Corothers chairman, A. H. Sem-
men, Nels Henjum; clerk, Carelius Hanson; treasurer, M. L. Guild;
assessor, John E. Johnson.

1895. Supervisors, James N. Corothers chairman, Wm.
Merry, A. H. Semmen; clerk, C. Hanson; treasurer, M. L. (xuild;
assessor, John E. Johnson.

1890. Supervisors, Wm. Merry chairman, B. Hart, Ole Vor-
seth; clerk, C. Crozer; treasurer, M.". Guild; assessor, C. Hanson.

1897. Supervisors, J. E. Johnson chairman, Ole Vorseth,
Sivert Braa; clerk, Hans Johnson; treasurer, M. L. Guild; assessor,
C. Hanson.

1898. Supervisors, J. E. Johnson chairman, Ole Vorseth,
Sivert Braa; clerk, Walter Crisp; treasurer, M. L. Guild; assessor,
C. Hanson.

J 899. Supervisors, John E. Johnson chairman, S. A. Braa, J.
N. Corothers; clerk, Elmer Crisp; treasurer, M. L. Guild; assessor,
C. Hanson; justices of the peace, Geo. L. Wood, M. M. Corothers.



HISTORY OP MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 987



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

Bapp, E. S., is a Vermonter by birtli, having been born at St.
Albans, Vermont, September 3, 183(). In 1862 he enlisted in Co. 1),
11th Heavy Artillery, and served until May, 18()5, when he was hon-
orablv discharg'ed. After havino- resided in Wisconsin and Iowa for
some time he became a citizen of this county in June, 1874, when he
took up a homestead on the northeast quarter of section 18, in Loy-an,
where he has since resided. He is a ofood farmer, and a respected
citizen.

Berg, Ole B., is a native of Norway, and was born Auy-ust 8,
1854. He emig-rated to the United States in 1884, and settled in this
county. He secured a homestead on the southwest quarter of sec-
tion 14, in Log-an, where he has since resided, and has added the
northeast quarter of section 22 to his homestead, and has a fine farm.
He is an enterprising- farmer, and an esteemed citizen.

Braa, Andrew S., was born in Norway February 23, 1849; emi-
grated to the United States in 1880, and lived in Michig-an until in
1882, when he removed to this count}^ He secured a homestead on
the northwest quarter of section 1, in Logan, where during- the first
few years he lived with his family in a sod house, which is still pre-
served as a memento of pioneer days. He has now erected on his
farm a comfortable, two story frame residence, and other buildings
and improvements, and has a very g-ood farm. He has held the
office of school director, is an industrious farmer, and a g-ood citizen.

Bratsburg, Ole H., was born in Norway, September 29, 1836.
He came to the United States in 1871, lived in Illinois three vears,
and located in this county May 5, 1874. He secured by pre-emption
the northeast quarter of section 24, in Log-an, where he still resides.
He also owns the southwest quarter of the same section, and has a
larg-e, well improved farm, is a prosperous farmer, and a g-ood citi-
zen. He has held some school offices.

COROTHERS, James N., son of Rawley Corothers, was born in
Carl county, Indiana, March 18, 1850, was reared on a farm and edu-
cated in the common schools. He came to Sioux Palls in 1872, and in
1873, took up land in section 20 in Log-an, where he has since resided.
He is a g-ood farmer and has comfortable surrounding-s. Since the
org-anization of the township he has held some office nearly every
year, and has been the chairman of the town board. He is an honest
man, a g-ood official, and well liked by his neighbors.

Corothers, Mrs. Martha, was born at Jefferson, Montg-omery
county, Ohio, August 18, 1826, and came with her husband, Rawlev
Corothers, to Log-an, this county, on the 19th day of May, 1873. Mr.
Corothers took up a tree claim and a homestead, and resided there
until his death, which occurred October 2, 1875. The homestead was
located on the southwest quarter of section 20, and Mrs. Corothers
continued to reside there until her death, which occurred February
11, 1898. In the early days her home was a reg-ular meeting- place.
Rev. Mr. Hill, the pioneer minister of Dell Rapids, frequentlv held
services in her house, and she had been a member of the Methodist



988 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



E})iscopal church since 1841. She was a g"ood, Christian ^v(^man
and hig-hly esteemed by her neig-hbors. Three sons, one daug-hter
and several g-randchildren survive her.

Crisp, Walter, was born in Long- Stanton, Caniliridgeshire,
Engdand, June 27, 1849. He emig-rated to this country and settled in
Wisconsin. May 1, 1873, he came to this county, and secured a
homestead and a pre-emption on the southwest quarter of section *)
and the south east quarter of section 8 in Log-an. He built a sod
shanty on section 8, which was the first one built in Log-an. He
finally built a residence and other farm buildings on the southwest
quarter of section 9, and has one of the finest g-roves in the county
about his home, his house being- approached from the hig-hway throug-h
an avenue shaded by larg-e, handsome trees, and is probably the first
farm in the county having- telephone connection. He has now a farm
of 640 acres, and is one of the prosperous farmers of Minnehaha
county. His son Elmer was the first white boy born in Logan. Mr.
Crisp is a prominent member of the I. O. O. P., and is a charter
member of several organizations of this order. He has held several
town offices, is an active, enterprising citizen, and when the Repub-
lican party held conventions, until quite recentlv he was present,
participating- in the proceedings, and it is not too much to say that
he is one of the foremost citizens in the county.

FOREBREGD, JoHN, was born in Norway, May 7, 1854. He came
to this country in 1880, lived in Michigan, Illinois, Nebraska and
Mexico, and came to Dakota in 1888. He bought the northwest quar-
ter of section 2, in Logan, w^here he now lives engaged in farming-.

Gordon, P. S., was born in Grafton, New Hampshire, March 22,
1852. He resided in Illinois, Wisconsin and Texas before coming to
this county in December, 1885. He resides on section 19 in Log-an,
where he has a very neat farm with substantial, handsome buildings.
He is largely interested in real estate and in sheep raising-, and in
1894, in connection with L. W, Roberts, he rented a larg-e ranch near
Wessington Springs, and took a flock of sheep numbering 1,300 head
to that place. He is an energetic, enterprising- business man, and is
a highly respected citizen.

Guild, Myron L., was born in Holden, Worcester county,
Mass., May 25, 1848. When seven 3^ears of age he removed with his
parents to the state of New York, and remained there until he was
eighteen years old, w^hen they removed to Wisconsin. In 1884, he
came to Dakota, and has been a resident of this countv ever since.
He bought and still owns the southeast quarter and the east half of the



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 89 of 99)