southwest quarter of section 7, the southeast quarter of section 17,
and the southwest quarter of section 8, where his residence is located
surrounded by an extensive grove. He has been towm treasurer and
director of the school board several years, and is one of the promi-
nent farmers of Logan township.
(tUILD, W. G. a., w^as born in Attleborough, Mass., July 19,
1819. He resided for several vears in Holden, Mass., where he was
married to Emma E. Bolton, January 4, 1842. He moved to Fowler,
St. Lawrence county. New York in 1855, and in 1861 he enlisted in
HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 991
the ()Oth X. V. Vol., Co. F., remaining- in service until 18()2, when he
was honorably dischartred on account of disability. In 1866, he
removed to Lake Mills, Jefferson county, Wisconsin. In 1867 he
I'oined the I. O. O. P., of which he was an active member, passing-
throug'h the different chairs, and remaining- up to the time of his
death an honored member of the order. In 1884 he removed to
Log-an township, where he was one of its most prominent citizens,
residing- with his son, Mvron L. Ouild, up to the time of his decease,
October 28, 1894.
Hanson, Adolph, was born in Norway, in October, 1857. He
came to the United States in 1866, with his parents, who lived in
Minnesota eig-ht years, and in 1874 settled in this countv, where the
subject of this sketch has since resided. He secured a homestead
on the northwest quarter of section 23, and a tree claim on the north-
east quarter of section 22, in Logfan, where he resides, and has a
g-ood farm. He is a respected citizen.
Hart, James, w-as born in Hunting-tonshire, Eng-land, Augfust
18, 1842. He emig-rated to the United States and resided in New
York, then in Wisconsin, and came from there to this county, June
1, 1873. He pre-empted the northw^est quarter of section 8, in Log-an,
and in relating- his experience on that place in the early days, he
said: "Our house and stable were built of sod with a board lining-.
The first two winters I did not see a person, except those who came
with me, with one exception. On one occasion three antelopes came
and looked in at the window of our house. Notwithstanding- the
privations we had to suffer, in a g-reat measure due to the ravag-es of
the g-rasshoppers, we were happy and contented." Mr. Hart was
chairman of the town board of supervisors in Log-an for ten con-
secutive years, and in the fall of 1892 was elected to the state senate,
where he served his constituency with g-reat fidelity during- the ses-
sion of the leg-islature in 1893. He is a successful, prosperous
farmer, and a thoroughly uprig-ht citizen.
Henjum, Nels, came to the United States on his 24th birthday,
having- emig-rated from Norway, where he w^as born March 1, 1850.
He went to Fillmore county, Minnesota, remained there a few
months, and in the fall of 1874, located in this count3\ He took up
as a homestead the northwest quarter of section 33, in Log-an. He
also secured a tree claim, but sold it and boug^-ht eig-hty acres in sec-
tion 29, in the same town. He resided on his homestead until re-
cently, when he removed to Blue Earth City, Minn. He was one of
the first supervisors of the town board of Log-an, and lias been a
member of the school board in district No. 36.
JohnscTn, Fred N., emig-rated to the United States from Nor-
way, where he was born September 5, 1851. After having- lived in
Iowa for one year he came to Dakota and located in this county in
July, 1873, filing- a homestead upon the southeast quarter of section
27, and a tree claim upon the southwest cjuarter of section 26, and
boug-ht the southwest c[uarter of section 10, in Log-an. He resides
on the tree claim, is a successful farmer and a g-ood citizen, and has
held the office of school director.
992 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.
Johnson, John E., was born in Norway, December 22, 18-I-7. He
emio-rated to the United States in 1858, and lived in Iowa and Min-
nesota until he settled in this county in June, 1873. He took up as a
homestead the southeast quarter of section 28, in Log-an, where he
resided until his death, which occurred while on the way from his
home to Dell Rapids, October 2, 1894. His wife died three years be-
fore, but a family of seven children survive them. He was a thrifty,
well-to-do farmer, and eng-ag-ed larg-ely in sheep raising-. He had
been assessor for thirteen years and school district clerk for twelve
vears, and was a highly respected citizen.
KiLNESS, John A., is a native of Norway, and was born Sep-
tember 22, 1846. He emig-rated to the United States and lived in
Wisconsin and Minnesota until 1873, when he removed to this county
and located on his present farm, which comprises between four and
five hundred acres of land in sections 30 and 31 in Log-an, and is a
fine farm with g-ood buildings and improvements. He has l)een
supervisor of the town board two years, is an industrious, enter-
prising- farmer, and a g-ood citizen.
Kringen, Severt P., was born in Norway, January 13, 1S31.
In 1872 he emig-rated to the; United States, and located in this
county, where he the following- ye,&r took up as a homestead the
northeast quarter of section 3 in Log-an, where he still resides and
has a g-ood farm. He has been director of the school board for
Merman, Henry, was born in Germany, in 1831. He emig-rated
to this country; lived in Kansas and Wisconsin for some time and
settled in Dakota in 1882. He then boug-ht the southwest quarter of
section 4, and the northwest quarter of section 9 in Log-an, and lived
there, an industrious farmer and respected citizen, until his death,
which occurred in 1886. His son, Henry Merman, now assists his
mother in taking- care of the farm, and at the same time attends to
his own farm in Miner county. Mrs. Merman resides on the north-
west (juarter of section 9.
Merry, William E., was born in Waupacca county, Wisconsin,
March 6, 1861. He came to Dakota October 15, 1873, and entered a
homestead in Miner county, and a tree claim in Moody county. He
afterwards boug-ht the northwest quarter of section 28 in Log-an,
where he now resides, and has a g-ood farm. He has been justice
of the peace, and chairman and supervisor of the town board, is an
enterprising- farmer, and a hig-hly esteemed citizen.
Stromme, John J., has been a resident of the United States
since 1850. He was born in Norway December 16, 1826. After his
coming- to this country he resided in Wisconsin four years, antl then
in Minnesota until his coming- to Dakota in 1872, when he located on
his present farm the southeast quarter of section 11. He also owned
a timber claim comprising- the northwest quarter of section 13, which
he disposed of to his son Carl J. Stromme. He is a g-ood citizen.
Stromme, Carl J., was born in Goodhue county, Minnesota,
September 19, 1856; was reared on a farm and educated in the com-
mon schools. On the 28th day of March, 1887, he arrived in Log-an,
where he pre-empted the northeast quarter of section 1, and boug-ht
(tEurge L. Wood.
HISTORY OP MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 997
the northwest quarter of section 13, and resides there. He has held
the oftice of assessor of the township, is a ij-ood nei^^hhor and a re-
Thoreson, Lorentz, is a native of Norwav, and was born Julv
1, 1839. He came to the United States Auo-ust 1, 1858, and lived in
Minnesota twenty-ei<j-ht \'ears. In April, 1886, he located in this
county, and bou<>-ht land in the southeast quarter of section 32 in
L;)L;Mn, and the northwest quarter of section 5 in Edison, and is en-
i^ayed in farmino-. November 4, 1861, he enlisted in Co. 1), 3d
Minnesota Infantry, and served until September 22, 1865, when he
was discharo-ed. He is a good farmer and a hig-hly respected citizen.
Wood, CtEorge Lester, of Logan, was born in Jefferson
county, Wisconsin, October 21, 1845. He attended school and
worked on a farm until he was tw^enty-one years of age. For the
next seven years he taught village and county schools. He was mar-
ried to Mary E. Hart in 1868. In 1873 he came to Dell Rapids, and
\erv soon took up a quarter section of land in Logan bv pre-emption,
and afterwards a tree claim and homestead adjoining, and has since
then purchased 80 acres. He now^ ow^ns the south half of section 5,
the east half of the southeast quarter of section 6, and the northeast
quarter of section 8, making in all 560 acres of land. It is a good
farm and he knows how to manage it. In the summer of 1874; he and
his wife went down to where the village of Baltic is now located, and
upon returning- home the same day, found the grasshoppers had
taken possession of his premises and appropriated all he had grow-
ing. He then moved to Dell Rapids and commenced keeping- the
Alexander House, in which he remained one year and a half, then
took possession of the Dells House and remained the same length of
time. During the fall of 1874, he contracted to teach school in Dell
Rapids for S20 a month, and taug-ht live months during that fall and
winter. He commenced school in Albion Thome's dug-out, nearly a
mile from the village, but afterwards moved into what was called the
"Joe Irving place" a combination printing- office and dwelling- house.
This place, however, became too cold in the winter, and the school
was moved into a vacant dwelling- house belonging to Mr. Mann.
During the winter Mr. Wood and his scholars would go out and pick
up driftwood and anything they could find to keep the school tires
going. There were twenty-eight to thirty scholars in attendance,
and Mr. Wood says, "the school was made up of the brightest
scholars I ever taught." The grasshoppers attended to his farming-
while he was teaching- school and keeping hotel, but when, at the ex-
piration of three years, they abandoned the country, he moved back
to his farm, which he has since occupied. When constables were
elected by the county, before the organization of townships, Mr,
Wood was elected constable for four years. In the fall of 1889 he
was elected county commissioner from the second district and served
the full term of three years. He was a faithful servant upon the
county board, and brought to its deliberations good sound judgment
and g-ood business abilitv. He looks as thoug-h he was grown among-
the tall pines of Maine, instead of having been reared on the prairie.
He is always good-natured, a good neighbor and a good citizen, and
has a host of friends.
DEIili RAPIDS TOW^NSHIP.
Dell Rapids township is bounded on the north by Moody county,
on the east, south, and west, by Logan, Sverdrup and Burk town-
ships. The township lines were surveyed by W. J. Neeley in July,
1859, and the subdivision was made in October, 1864, by Carl C. P.
Meyer. According- to the g-overnment survey, the township con-
tains 23,007.85 acres of land. The Big- Sioux river enters the town-
ship on the north, about eig-hty rods west of the northeast corner of
the township, then flows in a southwesterly course to the southwest
corner of section 11, where it turns abruptly and flows for a distance
of two miles in a course nearly due west, thence in a southwesterly
direction, and leaves the township on the southwest quarter of sec-
tion 32. According- to the orig-inal survey there were a few small
streams tributary to the Sioux river having- their source in the town-
The first settlement was made in 1868 by Ole O. Lang-ness, Gun-
erius Thompson, and Ole Thompson, all of whom are still residents
of the township. Rolluf Anderson settled there in 1869. The land,
especially along- the banks of the river, was soon taken up by actual
settlers, and some of the finest improvements in the county can now
be found upon the farms in this township.
Stordal Evangelical Lutheran Church. вАФ This church was
org-anized in 1872, and belong-s to the branch known as Haug-e's Evan-
gelical Lutheran Church of America. In 1882, a church building- was
erected about two and a half miles south of the city of Dell Rapids,
at a cost of about $1,500. The following- ministers have been in
charg-e: Reverends, G. L. Graven, C. C. Holter, Chr. C. Moe, and
A. O. Mortvedt, who is the present pastor. Services are held every
other Sunday. There is a Sunday school and a Ladies' Aid and Mis-
sion Society, also a Young- Ladies' Mission Society connected with
DELL RAPIDS TOWNSHIP BOARD.
The records of this township for the first few years are so in-
complete that it is impossible to obtain a full list of the township
officials. The supervisors in 1881, were Peter Morse chairman, O.
H. Smith and Rolluf Anderson; clerk, M. R. Kenefick; assessor, L.
D. Moran. The first warrant was drawn in favor L. D. Moran in the
sum of S50 for services as assessor.
1882. The township was divided into four road districts.
HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 990
April 17. Albion Thorne resio-ned as assessor and Wm. M. Carr Avas
a|)]K)inted. It appears from the records that on January 12, 1SS3,
Kolluf Anderson was chairman of the board.
1883. On the 24th day of February there was a meeting- of the
board and R. S. Alexander was chairman. March 10, E. P. Harrinii*-
ton was appointed constable. The clerk was instructed to ])rocure a
certified copy from the secretary of state of an act passed by the leg -
islature amending- the charter of the villag-e. April 21, E. T. Sawyer
was appointed supervisor, E. P. Pierce clerk and Rolluf Anderson
1884. Supervisors, R. S. Alexander chairman, Ole Thompson,
(). F. Bowles; clerk, E. F.Pierce; assessor, Rolluf Anderson; justice,
John W. Walters; constable, P. M. Thompson.
1885. Supervisors, Rolluf Anderson chairman, (). P. Bowles,
Ole Thompson; clerk, E. P. Pierce; treasurer, Eistin Eistinson; as-
sessor, R. S. Alexander.
1886. Supervisors, O. P. Bowles chairman, Ole Thompson, Ole
Eang-ness; clerk, R. S. Alexander; justices, Georg-e T. Parg-o, Rol-
luf Anderson; assessor, Tollef Anundson. March 17, Georg-e T.
Parg-o was appointed supervisor in place of Ole Lang-ness who failed
1887. Supervisors, (). P. Bowles chairman, Ole Thompson,
(Teorg-e T. Parg-o; clerk, Rolluf Anderson; treasurer, Eistin Eistin-
son; assessor, R. S. Alexander; constable, W. D. Richardson.
1888. Supervisors, O. P. Bowles chairman, Ole Thompson,
E. T. Sawyer; clerk, Rolluf Anderson; treasurer, Eistin Eistinson;
assessor, R. S. Alexander; justices, J. W. Walters, P. M. Thomp-
son; constable, Georg-e T. Parg-o. March 27, board met and ap-
])ointed Rolluf Anderson justice in the place of P. M. Thompson who
did not qualify. June 18, a special meeting- was held to determine
whether or not there should be a resurvey of the township, and to
raise a tax of two mills to meet the expenses of the same. The vote
was 30 for resurvey and 17 ag-ainst. Aug-ust 18, the board author-
ized O. P. Bowles to employ the county surveyor to make the new
1889. Supervisors, C. L. Thompson chairman, E. T. Sawyer,
Ole Thompson; clerk and justice, Rolluf Anderson; treasurer, Eistin
Eistinson; constables, John W. Walters, W. D. Richardson. The
bill of Surveyor Van Antwerp for S350.85was presented to the meet-
ing- and a vote taken upon its being- allowed, which resulted in 30
votes ybr and 32 against.
1890. Supervisors, C. L. Thompson chairman, Ole Thompson,
E. T. Sawyer; clerk, Rolluf Anderson; treasurer, Eistin ICistinson;
assessor, Tollef Anundson; justice, J. W. Walters; constable, D. W.
Richardson. The board w^as directed to employ H. J. Austin of
Vermillion, South Dakota, to make a leg-al resurvey of the township.
March 25, the board, having- been informed by Mr. Austin^that he
was unable to survey the township for some months, voted to post-
pone the survey until he could do it. June 24, E. T. Sawyer having-
resig-ned as supervisor, Lorentz Thoreson was appointed. October
28, Surveyor Austin commenced the resurvey of the township. No-
1000 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.
vember 8, the board settled all the bills arising- from the resnrvev,
amounting- to $191.10.
J 891. Supervisors, R. S. Alexander chairman, Lorentz Thore-
son, Ole Thompson; clerk, Rolluf Anderson; treasurer, Eistin Eistin-
son; assessor, Tollef Anundson; constables, W. D. Richardson,
(ieorg-e T. Parg-o. May 16, the board amended by resolution the
record of the proceeding's of October 28, 1890, in reference to the re-
survey so that it should be complete. October 27, the board ap-
pointed J. W. Walters chairman of the town board in the place of
R. S. Alexander who had removed from the tow^nship, and E. P.
Pierce was appointed constable in the place of W, D. Richardson for
the same reason. At the end of the 3^ear there was S735.30 in the
1892. Supervisors, D. J. Kennedy chairman, Ole Thompson,
Gunerius Thompson; clerk, J. W. Walters; treasurer, P. G. Thomp-
son; assessor, Lorentz Thoreson; justices, Rolluf Anderson, Tollef
Anundson; constable, O. M. Landstad. March 29, the board ap-
pointed C. L. Thompson and E. E. Eaton justices, and E. P. Pierce
constable, those elected having- failed to qualify. October 1, J. W.
Walters tendered his resig-nation as clerk, and Rolluf Anderson was
appointed clerk, and W. T. Hill justice.
1893. Supervisors, D. J. Kennedy chairman, E. E. Eaton,
Gunerius Thompson; clerk, Rolluf Anderson; treasurer, P. (t.
Thompson; assessor, Georg-e T. Parg'o.
1894. Supervisors, D. J. Kennedy chairman, P. D. Neister,
Gunerius Thompson; clerk, Rolluf Anderson; treasurer, P. G.
Thompson; assessor, Elden E. Eaton.
1895. Supervisors, D. J. Kennedy chairman, Gunerius Thom]>
son, O. O. Lyng-; clerk, W. S. McGill;"treasurer, P. G. Thompson;
assessor, Geo. T. Parg-o.
1896. Supervisors, D. J. Kennedy chairman, Georg-e Merrv,
O. O. Lyng-; clerk, R. E. Muckler; treasurer, E. Eistinson; assessor,
1897. Supervisors, D. J. Kennedy chairman, O. O. Lyng-, Geo.
S. Merry; clerk, E. E. Eaton; treasurer, E. Eistinson; assessor, N.
1898. Supervisors, Tollef Anundson chairman, Georg-e Merrv,
O. O. Lyng-; clerk, W. S. McGill, resig-ned September 28, 1898, and
J. J. Mortvedt was appointed to fill vacancy; treasurer, E. Eistinson;
assessor, A. P. Bakken.
1899. Supervisors, Ole Thompson chairman, Georg-e Merry,
Tollef Anundson; clerk, J. J. Mortvedt; treasurer, P. G. Thompson;
assessor, Jas. Irving-; justice, O. O. Lang-ness; constables, D. H.
Richardson, M. J. Ving-ness; poundmaster, M. O. Ploren.
Anderson, Rolluf, a native of Norway, was born May 20, 1842.
He emigrated and located in Wisconsin, but removed from there to
Dakota and located in this county, September 27, 1869. He took up
as a homestead the southeast quarter of section 28, and as a tree
claim the south half of the southeast quarter of section 17, to whicli
HISTORY OP MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 1001
he ridded bv purchase, and at the time of his decease was the owner
of over 500 acres of land in Dell Rapids township. He was clerk of
the town board for several 3'ears, was an enterprisino-, industrions
farmer, and a hig-hlv respected citizen. He died suddenh- on his
farm, the ()th day of October, 1898.
Bakken, a. p., was born at Roros, Norway, November 1*), ISi.O.
He emi_i>-rated with his parents to the United States in the spring- of
18()'), and lived in (Toodhue county, Minn., four years. On the 2d day
of June, 1873, they arrived in this county, and his father, P. J. Bak-
ken, secured a homestead on the southeast quarter of section 3, in
Sverdrup township, where he still resides. The subject of this
sketch now owns the east half of the southwest quarter of section 33,
in Dell Rapids township, w-here he resides eng-ag-ed in farmino-. He
was assessor of Dell Rapids township in 1898, is a ^ood farmer and a
Eaton, E. E., was born in Dlinois, March 4, 1858, He resided
in Iowa a few years and came from there to this county in 188(), and
settled on the northeast quarter of section 7, in Dell Rapids, wliei'e
he has since resided. He has held the office of town supervisor an 1
justice of the peace, and is a o-ood citizen.
EisTiNSON, Eistix, was born in Trondhjem, Norway, in 183S.
and emio-rated to the United States and settled in Calumet, Michi-
<>"in, in 1866. In 1871, he removed to this county, and settled in Dell
Rapids township. He took up a homestead in section 28, and has
now a fine farm of 440 acres with substantial building's and imj)rove-
ments. He has been town treasurer several years, is a thrifty, well-
to-do farmer, and a respected citizen.
EsTEiNSEN, N. A., was born near the city of Hammerfest, Nor-
way, the most northerly city on the g-lobe, on the 6th day of Decem-
l)er, 1865. He emigrated to the United States in 1880, and settled
in this county, where he has since resided. When he attained his
majority he took up a homestead comprising- the south half of the
southeast quarter of section 27, in Dell Rapids, where he now re-
sides. He held the office of assessor in Dell Rapids township in
1897, and is an enterprising-, g-ood citizen.
Hill, Rev. William T., w^as born in Illinois, July 23, 1832.
He enlisted in Co. C, 69th Illinois Volunteers, in 1862, and was ap-
pointed postmaster for the Confederate prisoners at Camp Doug-las,
Chicag-o, his duty being- to examine and read all letters received or
sent by them. After the war he resided in Wisconsin a few years,
and removed from there to this county and settled at Dell Rapids
June 1, 1873. He took up the northwest quarter of section 13, as a
homestead and secured a tree claim in section 14. He was the first
settler in the eastern portion of Dell Rapids township and in order
to build a house he had to haul the lumber from Worthing-ton, Min-
nesota, and he says: "It was a four days' trip, and the mosquitos
were perfectly awful," He was the first pastor of the First Baptist
church at Dell Rapids, and was the first resident minister in that
place. During- those earlv davs he frequently drove twenty miles in
1002 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.
a lumber wag-on to fill his appointments on the Sabbath. Mr. Hill
was an earnest pioneer worker, and is greatly respected as a citizen
Kennedy, David J., was born in Canada December 28, 1853.
After coming- to the United States he resided in Kansas and Minne-
sota, and in 1890 settled in Dell Rapids, purchasing- the southwest
quarter of section 13, where he resides. During- his short residence
in Dell Rapids he has established a g-ood reputation as a citizen, and
was chairman of the town board of supervisors from 1892 to 1898.
Landstad, Ole M., was born in Norway in 1851. He emig-rated
to Dakota in 1882, and has been a resident of this county ever since.
He boug-ht and still owns 240 acres of land in section 21, in Dell Rap-
ids, where he resides and has a g-ood farm. He has been treasurer
of school district No. 8 several years, and is a g-ood citizen. Before
coming- to this country he was eig-ht years in the Norwegian cavalry.
Langness, Ole O., is a native of Norway, and was born in 1847.
He emigrated to the United States in 1867, and lived in Minnesota
until the year following, when he removed to Dakota, and located in
this county, where he has since remained. He took up a homestead
in section 32, in Dell Rapids township, and a tree claim and pre-
emption in sections 10 and 15 in Log-an township. Afterwards he
sold the tree-claim, and bought 80 acres in section 5 in Sverdrup
township, and owns at the present time several hundred acres of
land in this county. He resides on his homestead, which is very
prettily located on the Big- Sioux river, and is a fine farm, with fine
buildings. Unlike his brother, John O. Langness, he takes verv little
interest in political afl^airs, but attends strictly to farming, and is
highly esteemed as a neig-hbor and citizen.
Merry, Mrs. Margaret, was l)orn in New York in 1824. She
married Lyman Merry and they came to Dell Rapids in 1873, and
took up as a homestead the southeast quarter of section 13 in Dell
Rapids. Mr. Merry died in 1878, and Mrs. Merry continued to live
on the farm until 1898, when she also died," survived by two
daughters and a son, who reside in this county, and one son who re-
sides in Wisconsin. She was a good Christian woman, and g-reatly
beloved and esteemed by all who knew her.
OiEN, Halvor H., a son of Heinming- H. Oien, was born in Nor-
way in 1870. He came to the United States with his parents in 1872,
and to this county in 1874. He has inherited his father's industry,
is well educated, and is one of the highlv respected voung farmers
of Dell Rapids. " ^ "