Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 92 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 92 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


C. Brodie from the city and the resig-nation of Mr. (xriswold.

1890. Mayor, M."^R. Kenefick; L. C. Harrin^rton police justice,
S. P. Peters justice of the peace, E. J. li^lliot treasurer; aldermen,
1st ward, N. L Nelson, E. S. Tresidder; 2d ward, O. O. Sawyer, R.
A. Knig-ht; 3d ward, W. L. Briley, C. J. Johnson. Number of votes
cast for mayor 172. At the first meeting of the council under the
law of the first leg-islature of the State of South Dakota in 1890,
Albion Thorne was appointed city auditor and Henry Robertson city



1016 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



attorney. January 5, 1891, the mayor appointed G. R. Krause city
auditor, Mr. Thorne having- removed to Sioux Falls.

1801. Mayor, M. R. Kenefick; aldermen, 1st ward, N. S. Nel-
son, E. S. Tresidder; 2d ward, O. O. Sawyer, R. A. Knig-ht; 3d ward,
W. L. Briley, G. J. Johnson; E. J. Elliot treasurer, S. P. Peters
justice of the peace, L. C. Harring-ton police justice, G. R. Krause
auditor, R. W. Hobart city attorney, L. C. Harringfton; assessor, E.
T. Sawyer chief of police and street commissioner, Dr. O. O. Sawver
health officer.

1892. Mayor, M. R. Kenefick; alderman, 1st ward, M. S. Well-
man, E. S. Tresidder; 2d ward, T. S. Galbraith, R. A. Knig-ht; 3d
ward, W. L. Briley, C. J. Johnson; M. A. Dieson treasurer, S. P.
Peters city justice, L. C. Harring-ton police justice, G. R. Krause
auditor, Henry Robertson city attorney, L. C. Harring-ton assessor,
E. T. Sawyer chief of police, S. P. Peters street commissioner. Dr.
Parker health officer.

1893. Mayor, M. R. Kenefick; aldermen, 1st ward, E. S. Tre-
sidder, M. S. Wellman; 2d ward, R. A. Knig-ht, T. S. Galbraith; 3d
ward, W. L. Brile3% C. J. Johnson; M. A. Dieson treasurer, S. P.
Peters justice of the peace, Clinton DeWitt police justice, G. R.
Krause auditor, Henry Robertson attorney, R. W. Hobart assessor,
J. M. Griswold chief of police, S. P. Peters street commissioner.
Dr. Parker health officer.

1894. Mayor, O. H. Smith; aldermen, 1st ward, B. R. Bentson,
(resigned in October and succeeded by H. Eampman) E. S. Tre-
sidder; 2d ward, T. S. Galbraith, R. "A. Knig-ht; 3d ward, C. J.
Johnson, W. L. Briley; M. A. Dieson treasurer, I. E. Ewen city jus-
tice (resig-ned in October, succeeded by J. E. Parg-o), C. DeWitt
police justice, F. W. Rathman auditor (resigned in October, suc-
ceeded by W. J. Crisp), R. W. Hobart attorney, V. A. Potter
assessor, H. Farrand chief of police, John McDonald street com-
missioner. Dr. A. S. Bergh health officer.

1895. Mayor, O. H. Smith; alderman, 1st ward, H, Lampman,
G. A. Galloway; 2d ward, T. S. Galbraith, J. G. Meldrum; 3d ward,
C. J. Johnson, J. T. Maule; M. A. Dieson treasurer, J. E. Fargo jus-
tice of the peace, C. DeWitt police justice, W. J. Crisp auditor,
R. W. Hobart attorney, H. Noble assessor, H. Farrand chief ^ of
police, Halver Halverson street commissioner, Dr. O. O. Sawyer
health officer.

1896. Mayor, O. H. Smith; aldermen, 1st ward, G. A. Gallo-
way, Henry Lampman; 2d ward, J. G. Meldrum, T. S. Galbraith; 3d
ward, C. J. Johnson, J. T. Maule; treasurer, M, A. Dieson; city jus-
tice, J. E. Fargo; police justice, C. DeWitt; auditor, G. R. Krause;
attorney, Henry Robertson; assessor, A. R. Sullivan; chief of police,
W. G. Lund; street commissioner, E. Paulson; health officer, D. W.
Evans.

1897. Mayor, O. H. Smith; aldermen, 1st ward, Henry Lamp-
man, J. G. Meldrum, O. F. Bowles; 2d ward, T. S. Galbraith, S. P.
Peters; 3d ward, C. J. Johnson, J. T. Maule; city justice, J. E.
Fargo; police justice, C. DeWitt; chief of police, W. G. Lund; attor-
ney, Henry Robertson; auditor, P. W. Dougherty; treasurer, M. A.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 1017



Dieson; asssessor. G. R. Kraitse; street commissioner, E. Paulson :
health officer, D. W. Evans.

1598. Mavor, E. J. Elliot; aldermen, 1st ward, J. i). MeldruuK
W. M. Henderson; 2d ward, S. P. Peters, Ole Paulson; 3d ward,
C. J. Johnson, J. T. Maule; city justice, H. Noble; police justice,
W. 8. Catlin; chief of police, (xunder Olson; auditor, D. E. Ward;
treasurer, M. A. Dieson; assessor, G. E. Bowerman; street commis-
sioner, C. T. Bryant; health officer. Dr. Hofflund.

1599. Mavor, E. J. Elliot; aldermen, 1st ward, W. M. Hender-
son, O. E. Shattuck, A. Nielson; 2d ward, S. P. Peters, Ole Paulson;
3d ward, C. J. Johnson, J. T. Maule; city justice, H. Noble; police
justice, W. S. Catlin; chief of police, Gunder Olson; auditor, D. E.
Ward; treasurer, M. A. Dieson; assessor, G. E. Bowerman; street
commissioner, C. T. Bryant; health officer. Dr. Hofflund.

SCHOOLS.

The first school meeting- of district No. 12, was held at the
store of B. D. Graves, in Dell Rapids, November 8, 1873. The fol-
lowing- officers were elected; John E. Hoyt director, B. D. Graves
clerk, Peter Morse treasurer. It was voted that the board provide
a suitable room, fuel and furniture, and employ a teacher for a three
months term of school.

In accordance with instructions, Miss E. Juanita Alexander was
employed at S20 per month. A contract was made with Mr. P.
Morse to rent the house of Mr. Mann at S6 per month. Lumber for
seats and other thing's w^ere furnished by B. D. (xraves and Peter
Morse, and it was ag-reed by the board that the district should pay
for same. A stove and pipe was purchased of Mr. J. W. Cowan for
S21.8(), and an order g-iven in payment with interest at 10 per cent, if
not paid w^hen due.

At a meeting- held Aug-ust 4, 1874, Mr. Peter Morse offered to
cfive a perpetual lease of a tract of land, as long- as it should be used
for school purposes, eig-ht rods square, situated on next corner east
of Mr. Thome's house as platted. This proposition was accepted
and the board was authorized to build a school house of lumber, to
be not less than 18 by 22, nine feet hig'h at the eaves, but delays oc-
curred and it was not built during- that year, (xeorg-e L. Wood was
eng-agfed and taug-ht a term of three months at S2<) per month, in the
building- which had previously been used as a school room. Sep-
tember 5, 1874, the annual school meeting- was held and R. S. Alex-
ander w^as elected director, Albion Thorne treasurer and B. D.
Graves clerk.

The annual school meeting- September 4, 1875, was held at the
house of B. D. Graves. R. S. Alexander was re-elected director,
Peter Morse treasurer and B. D. Graves clerk. No business was
transacted at this meeting-, which adjourned until September 20.
The following- then appears on the record: "Pursuant to notice no-
bodv met on Mondav, the 20th day of September, consequently no
business was transacted. B. D. Graves clerk." The next meeting-
was held November 20, 1875, and it was resolved to rent the store
room of B. D. Graves for school purposes at a rental of S18 for the



1018 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



winter term, and to eng-ag-e Mr. M. C. Graves to teach a three months
term at S20 per month.

In June, 1876, a notice of a special election was g-iven, to be held
at the store of M. C. Lyon on Thursday, June 15, for the purpose of
ag-ain making- arrang-ements for building- a school house and relocat-
ing- a site. The committee appointed to locate a site, selected lots 7,
8 and 9, block 42, of the orig-inal plat of Dell Rapids, but nothing-
further was done until the annual meeting- in September, when Dr.
Wm. B. Parker was elected director. The new board awarded the
contract for building- the school house to Wm. H. McCune for the
sum of S565.59. M. C. Graves was eng-ag-ed to teach the winter term
of four months school at $25 per month, to beg-in December 4, 1876.
The school house was finished during- the ensuing- fall.

The next annual meeting- was held April 3, 1877. J. W. Walters
was elected district clerk. The number of children of school ag-e
residing- in the district for the year ending- March 31, 1877, was fifty-
four.

At the annual meeting- held April 2, 1878, G. A. Uline was
elected treasurer, and it was voted to have nine months of school
during- the ensuing year. Miss E. C. LeClere was eng-aged for three
months at $30 per month. In the fall of 1878, John F. Seaman was
eng-ag-ed for a term of three months, at $35 per month, Mr. Seaman
was also retained for the winter term at the same salary. The as-
sessed valuation of school district No. 12, for the vear 1879, was
$35,709.

April 1, 1879, J. R. Richardson ^vas elected director. The num-
ber of schoolchildren residing- in the districtfor the year ending- March
31, 1879, was fifty-two. J. W. Walters clerk, G. A. Uline treasurer
holding- over. Assessed valuation of the district for 1880 was
862,000.

At a special meeting- in the spring- of 1880, for the purpose of
providing- additional school room, it was decided to raise the school
house eig-ht feet and build a stairway. The contract for the work
was g-iven to M. P. Lower October l,'l880, for $583.25.

At the annual meeting April 5, 1881, G. A. Uline was elected
treasurer and M. R. Kenefick clerk.

At the annual meeting in 1882 J. R. Richardson was elected di-
rector.

March 9, 1883, the act org-anizing the independent school district
of Dell Rapids was approved. The following members of the board
of education were appointed: M. R. Kenefick, I. N. Neher, G. A.
Uline, George Whitman and J. R. Richardson. The board organ-
ized by electing- Georg-e Whitman president, (t. A. Uline treasurer,
and Albion Thorne clerk. April 24, Mr. Richardson resigned and
Albion Thorne was appointed to fill vacancy.

(No record of members elected in 1884).

In 1884 the school house was blown down during a heavy wnnd,
and the Episcopal hall was rented for school purposes until a school
house could be built. A committee w^as appointed to examine loca-
tion for a site, and a special election was called on August 12, for the
purpose of determining whether bonds should be issued for building-



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 1010



a school house, and whether it should be built of wood, brielc or
stone. The result of this election was in faxoi" of issnin<4- l)on(ls not
to exceed SS,()0().

In 1885, Henry A. Cadd, A. C. Folsom, M. R. Kenelick and (1.
A. riine were elected members of the board. The iO])isco|>al liall
was rented for a school room during- this year also. After A]>ril 27.
1885, the Baptist church was rented at a ix'iital of SI 1 per montli.

Bonds were issued to the amount of S7,0()0 in the sprinjj- of 1885.
Plans were drawn by W. L. Dow, and he was emploved to superin-
tend the buildino-, and the contract was awarded to J. Kays & Co.
for S5,722.50. The building- was erected on lots 7 and 8, block 42,
durino- the summer of 1885, and is still standing-, a handsome stone
building- of two stories, containing- four school rooms and recitation
room.

In 188() the members of the board for 1885 were re-elected.

In 1887, the following- were elected members of the board: J. A.
Stanfield, Wm. Barr, L. C. Harring'ton, Albion Thorne and M. R.
Kenefick. In the fall of 1887 a bell, weig'hing- 396 pounds, at a cost
of S37 was placed in position.

The two new members for 1888 were W, A. Eppard and Albion
Thorne; Messrs. Harringfton, Barr and Stanfield holding- over. In
the fall of 1888, four teachers were found necessary in place of the
three previously employed.

In 1889, Henry Cadd, O. H. Smith, E. J. Elliot, W. A. Eppard
and Albion Thorne composed the board. In April, 1889, lot 3, in
block 42, adjacent to school g-rounds was purchased for S29(), and lot
4, same block, for S250.

The two new members for 1890 were M. R. Kenefick and Albion
Thorne.

The members for 1891 were E. J. Elliott, John McDt)nald and C.
J. Johnson, Mr. Kenefick holding- over. Albion Thorne resig-ned
and O. O. Sawyer was appointed to fill vacancy and was also elected
treasurer; C. J. Johnson was elected president, C. E. Sutton prin-
cipal.

1892. The members were O. H. Smith and John McDonald,
C. J, Johnson president, E. J. Elliot treasurer, W. I. Howdand sec-
retary, L. E. Goodwin principal.

1893. The members were O. H. Smith and R. Simpson, W. I.
Howdand president, James Ridling-fon treasurer, C). (). Sawyer clerk,
L. E. Goodwin principal.

1894. The members were E. C, Bent and R. Simpson, W. I.
Howdand president, James Ridling-ton treasurer, O. O. Sawyer clerk,
L. E. (Toodwin principal.

1895. The members were James Ridling-ton, R. Sim])son, J.
E. Farg-o, Will S. Catlin, M. S. Wellman and "O. O. Sawyer; E. C.
Bent president, (i. E. Bowerman treasurer, L. K. Larson clerk, L.
E. Goodwin principal.

1896. President, E. C. Bent; clerk, G. E. Bowerman, fre-
sig-ned, and P. H. Doug-herty was elected to fill vacancy ; treasurer,
L. K. Larson; principal, E. M. Green.

1897. President, E. C. Bent; clerk, P. AV. Doug-herty; treas-
urer, L. K. Larson; principal, E. M. Green.



1020 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



1898. President, E. C. Bent; clerk, P. W. Doug-herty; treas-
urer, L. K. Larson; principal, E, M. Green.

1890. President, E. J. Eng-elson; clerk, C. H. Mnckler; treas-
urer, L. K. Larson; principal, J. E. Tschantz,

CHURCHES.

First Baptist Church. — On the 21st day of July, 1872, seven-
teen persons in Dell Rapids came together for the purpose of oro-an-
izing- a Baptist church. The Rev. Alvah Bush of Osag-e, Iowa, was
elected chairman of the meeting- and J. I. Sweeney clerk, and such
proceeding's were had in the way of org-anization that the body cre-
ated was on the 1st day of September following- recog-nized by the
proper authorities as the the First Baptist Church of Dell Rapids.
Meeting's were held in the school house, with occasional preaching-
by Revs. J. W. Freeman and Bush, until the 29th day of June, 1873,
when the Rev. W. T. Hill was called to the permanent pastorag-e of
the church. Mr. Hill remained in charg-e until 1879. May 1, 1879,
the church extended an invitation to the Rev. J. F. Merriam to be-
come its pastor, which invitation was accepted; the arrang-ement be-
ing- made that he should preach at Dell Rapids every other Sundav.
At the end of his first year he resig-ned. January 6, 1881, the Rev.
J. Edminster was eng-ag-edfor one year, and had charg-e of the church
until February 4, 1882, when the Rev. S. G. Adams of Wisconsin
was called, and remained in Dell Rapids as pastor of the church for
five years, when he resig-ned. The Rev. Ira Kneeland was the next
pastor from the first day of June, 1887, to October, 1888, when he
was called to take charg-e of a church in New York. On the 1st dav
of January, 1889, the Rev. J. P. Coffman took charg-e of the church,
and remained until December 3, 1891, at which time he removed to
Sioux Falls. January 1, 1892, the Rev. H. E. Norton commenced his
labors with this church and remained its pastor until October, 189().
He was succeeded by the Reverends Parker and Rice, and in Sep-
tember, 1899, the present pastor, the Rev. Mr. Cantwell took charg-e.
Until the erection of the first church building- in 1881, services were
held at various places. In the spring- of 1883, a larg-e and more com-
modious church building- was commenced, which was completed and
dedicated June 8, 1884. In connection with the church there is a
larg-e and prosperous Sunday school and a Young- People's society,
and it is one of the strong- churches in the countv.

Episcopal Church.— In the winter of 1879-80, the idea of estab-
lishing- an Episcopal church was first thoug-ht of, and the matter was
talked over by a few of the ladies of Dell Rapids. On Januarv 27,
1880, a Ladies' Society was org-anized for the purpose of obtaining-
money to build a church at some future date, and in the spring- of
that year Mrs. Potter was authorized by the society to write to the
Dean of the Territory, asking- his recog-nition, advice and co-opera-
tion with them in the work which they had undertaken.

Some time in March, 1880, the Dean came and held service in the
sitting - room of the Exchang-e Hotel, and before he went away he ad-
vised the Ladies' Guild to write to the Bishop and inquire what steps
should be taken to enable the people to org-anize a parish. At this




Rev. H. E. Ncjrton,



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 1023



time there were li\-e coininiinicints in the toun, iKimelw Mrs. V. A.
Potter, Mr. and Mr. Loxerin*^-, Mrs. Sihhison and hrr daui^-liter
Flora Sibbison.

In the latter part of March, 1880, a i)ro])()sition was made by Mr.
Peter Morse in reo-ard to the sale of a lot belono-ing- to him, situated
on Pearl street, which was accepted and the lot purchased. Soon
after Bisho]) Clarkson came to Dell Rapids and preached in the 15a])-
tist church, and on this occasion informed the g'uild that they would
have to oro'anize as a mission until the time came when their num-
bers would justify the oro-anization of a parish, and it was ai^^reed to
name the mission Gethsemane Mission.

December 2, 1880, a committee was appointed to purchase a
warehouse belong-ing- to C. S. (lilford; this was bougdit for the sum
of SlOO and moved to the lot previously purchased. Services were
being- held during- this time at the Exchange Hotel and in the Bap-
tist church, by various clergymen, until the warehouse was roug-hly
fitted up as a church, service being- held there for the first time on
the first Sunday in January, 1881. The Rev. Mr. Morrison, the first
clerg-yman who was called, arrived in Dell Rapids on the first day of
January, 1881, and remained about nine months. The Rev. P. (xard-
iner of Sioux Falls and other Episcopal clerg-ymen supplied the pul-
pit at more or less reg-ular intervals until the Rev. T. Howell Rich-
ards came to Dell Rapids to take charg-e of the parish. He ofliciated
as la\^ reader until September, 1894, when he was ordained Deacon,
Dr. Trimble of Sioux Falls being- the Rector. Mr. Richards left the
parish and the ministry in 1897.

Up to 1893, the congreg-ation worshipped in the old building- on
Main street, known as the Episcopal Hall, at which time the present
church, called the Church of Living- Water and located on the south-
w est corner of Orleans and Hig-h streets, was consecrated. This
building- is of stone, is handsomely furnished and has a seating- capac-
ity of one hundred and twenty-five. The membership of the church
is forty-eig-ht. A window of peculiar interest was presented to the
church by Walter Crisp of Log-an, in 1893, who broug-ht this relic
from Eng-land, where it was orig-inally in St. Nicholas church at
Tvong- Stanton, a little villag-e about six miles west from the town of
Cambridg»-e. This church is supposed to have been an old monastery
up to the time of the reformation, and is thatched with reeds; being-
one of the few remaining- specimens of the open timber roof churches
of the middle ag-es. The window was removed from the St. Nicholas
to make way for a more modern one, and another similar to it is
now in the British Museum in London. It is supposed to have been
orig-inally placed in the old church in 1230. The window came into
Mr. Crisp's possession July 4, 1893.

Me:thodist Episcopal Church. — The Methodist church in Dell
Rapids was organized on the 26th day of July, 1880. The Rev. Wil-
mot Whitfield, presiding- elder of the Dakota district of the North-
western Iowa quarterly conference, and I. O. Kent, secretary of said
conference, were present and conducted the election of a board of
trustees, resulting- as follows: C. L. Hag-er, W. B. Parker, O. H.
Parker, J. R. Richardson and John E. Hoyt. In October following,



1024 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY,



the Rev. G. R. Oakes assumed charg-e of the church, and remained
about one year. During- this time a church building- was com-
menced, but was not completed until 1882. The successor of Mr.
Oakes was the Rev. M. D. L. Johnson, who remained two years.
Since then the following- ministers have had charg-e of the pastoral
work, and in the order named: The Reverends G. W. Kliver, one
year; Thomas H. Walker, two years; W. H. Vivian, one year; L.
Bradford, one year; J. P. Jenkins, three years; D. Rifenbark, one
year; W. P. Minty, one year; W. J. Hyde, two years, and A. Jamie-
son, who had charg-e of the church from October 15, 1894, until the
Rev. P. Hopkins became his pastor. In November, 18%, he was suc-
ceeded by the Rev. John Lewtas.

When the church was first org-anized there were only a few
members, but the membership has been steadily increasing- so that
at the present writing- there are about one hundred and fifty mem-
bers. A parsonag-e was built in 1886.

Roman Catholic Mission. — The Roman Catholic church com-
menced mission services in Dell Rapids in 1880, with Father Maher
of Sioux Palls in charg-e until some time in 1882. At first there
Avere only ten or twelve reg-ular communicants, and during- the
vears 1882-3, only occasional services were held. In July, 1884,
Father Ouinlan took charg-e of the Mission, and held services once a
month until the spring- of 1887, when Father Colman took charg-e of
the same for a short time. He was succeeded by the Rev. Father
Vandemere of Plandreau, who continued to hold monthly service
until the fall of 1888. At this time the Rev. X. P. Guay took charg-e
for a few months, when Father Vandermere ag-ain performed the
services. In June, 1889, the Rev. J. Barnes had charg-e and contin-
ued to officiate until November of that year, when Father Jerram
took his place and held services until March, 1892. He was suc-
ceeded by Father O'Hora, who continued in charg-e until sometime
during the fall of that year, when the Rev. J. C. Ahern took charg-e
and held services monthly until the fall of 1894. Prom this time
until July, 1895, the Rev. O'Hora, a brother of Father O'Hora, who
officiated in 1893, had charg-e of the Mission. The Reverends Flynn,
Grabig- and Peinler also had charg-e of the little flock of Catholics at
Dell Rapids during- the time services were held over Mr. Collin's
drug*- store. During- the fall of 1898, the Rev. M. J. Martyn org-an-
ized St. Mary's Catholic church, and became its pastor. He at once
set about the work of erecting- a church building-. A beautiful site
was purchased in the northeastern part of the city for the sum of
S300, and during- the summer of 1899 a fine, commodious church
building- was completed, and is now occupied for church purposes.
It cost a little over $4,000, and the citizens of Dell Rapids gener-
ously assisted the society in erecting- the building. The member-
ship of St. Mary's church comprises twenty-seven families, and the
average attendance is one hundred.

Presbyterian Church.— The Presbvterian church of Dell
Rapids was organized on the 16th day of August, 1882. At this time
there was an Indian Presbyterian church at Plandreau, and with
this exception there was no other Presbvterian church in Dakota,



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 1025

Por ten vears services were held more or less re<i-ularly in the
school house, until the 22d day of (October, 1882, when the present
house of worship was dedicated. It was built at a cost of about
S2,500. In April, 1896, a one-thousand-pound ])ell was placed in this
edifice. On the 30th dav of May, 1890, durino- a heavy storm, the
steeple was torn down by li«-htnino-, the damag-e amounting- to about
S300. The membership of the church, like that of all churches in
the West, has been very fluctuatino-. Its roll of members since or-
ganization numbers one hundred and sixty, and it has a membership
at the present time of fifty-five. Working- in connection with the
church are societies of both senior and junior Y. P. C. E., and a
flourishing- Sunday school, having- a membership of one hundred and
fifteen.

The following- ministers have been in charg-e: Rev. (reo. P. Le-
Clere, from September, 1877, to September, 1878; Rev. R. H. Hooks,
from November, 1880, to November, 1881; Rev. R. T. McMahan,
from January, 1882, to Mav, 1883; Rev. H. L. Dickinson, from Mav,
1883, to Mav, 1884; Rev. W. J. Skillman, from June, 1884, to October,
1885; Rev. E. M. Snook, from December, 1885, to December, 1880;
Rev. John A. McAlmon, from May, 1887, to May, 1888; Rev. Robert
Christison from June, 1888, to September, 1891; Rev. Georg-e Hutch-
inson, from January, 1893, to April, 1894; Rev. R. Christison, from
September, 1894, to June, 1899. Besides these ministers, theologn-
cal students have filled the pulpit when no minister has been avail-
able.

Rev. Robert Christison, the last pastor of this church, was born
in Scotland, and educated at the University of Edinburg-h, and at
the Pree Church Colleg-e of Glasg-ow. He was pastor of the Presby-
terian church at Dell Rapids from 1888 to 1891, when he resig-ned on
account of his health and went to the Pacific coast, but was recalled
in September, 1894. Mr. Christison is a very able and scholarly



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 92 of 99)