Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 95 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 95 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


e



-^gp ^Sr>^




N /




G. A. Uline.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 1040



^_Tresidder, Stephen, was horn near Galena, Illinois, April 12,
1855; was reared on a farm and educated in the puhlic schools and at
the Cedar Valley seminary; in 1875 he commenced learnino- the har-
nessmaker's trade, and on the 22d day of June, 1880, located at Dell
Rapids, and opened a harness shop, but at the end of ten \i'ars had
oradually workoil into the boot and shoe trade. In Januar\, 18')S,
he transferred his business to the city of Sioux Falls, wherr he is
at the present time doino- a o-ood business. While a lesidi-nt of
Dell Rapids he was a member of the city council seven \ears, thrre
years of which he was its president. Mr. Tresidder is a oood busi-
ness man and an enterprising-, highly respected citizen.

Uline, (tUST. a., is a native of Sweden, and was l)()rn in the
province of Wermland on the 12th day of October, 1840. He came
to the United States in 1867, and stopped first in Michig-an for about
five months, then went to Wisconsin for six months and from there
to northwestern Minnesota. In the spring- af 1870 he went to Cher-
okee, Iowa, being- then so hard up that the first g-ood meal he had
had in months he g-ot at the old Cottonwood hotel at that place. He
secured work in Cherokee at eig"ht dollars per month, and took up
land where the city of Sheldon now is, which he afterwards sold for
fifty dollars. At that time there was only one other piece of land
taken up in that locality. He left Cherokee on the 5th deiy of Julv,

1871, and went to Jackson, Minnesota, where he remained three
years in the store of J. W. Cowing-. March 5, 1874, he started for
bell City. Dakota. He then had just $700, and concluded to com-
mence business for himself. When Mr. Uline reached Dell Citv
there were only two building-s where the city of Dell Rapids is now.
He rode his pony up to a man who was sawing- wood, and said he
was looking- for Dell City. ''You are rig-ht in it," answered the man.
A man by the name of Cowan had started a store in Dell Citv in

1872, but his mother died and he g-rew melancholy, and in sixty days
after he had commenced business he shot himself. His store was a
little north of the VanEps mill, and there Mr. Uline commenced
l)usiness. He purchased SI, 000 worth of g-oods, and paid SI. 25
per hundred to g-et them transported from the nearest railroad sta-
tion. At this time B. D. Graves had a small store at Dell City, but
his stock was quite limited, and Mr. Uline was the first merchant
who put in a g-eneral stock of merchandise in this place. He con-
tinued in trade for seventeen years, and made a success of his busi-
ness. In 1881 he was elected president of the villag-e, and has at
various times since then served the villag-e and city of Dell Rapids in
official positions. In 1885, he was appointed by (Tovernor Pierce a
member of the board of directors of the Dakota penitentiary at
Sioux Falls, and served two years. In 1889, he received an appoint-
ment to the same position from (Governor Mellette, and served one
year, and when South Dakota became a state he was appointed a
member of the state board of charities and corrections, and was the
first president of the board. He was also appointed colonel on the
staff of Governor Mellette. In 1892, he organized the Dell Rapids
State Bank and became its president, which position he still holds.
He is also a director in the First National Bank at Dell Ra^^ids, and



1050



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



the Minnehaha National Bank at Sioux Palls. It would be super-
fluous to add an3^thing- to the foreg-oing- record to establish the fact
that Mr. Uline is recog-nized as one of the foremost citizens of the
state.

Ward, David Edward, was born at Darling-ton, Lafavette
county, Wisconsin, Aug'ust 7, 1864, and resided there until he was
twenty years of ag^e, receiving- his education in the hig'h school at
Darling-ton. In 1884 he went to Cherokee county, Iowa, for two
years, and has during- the last fifteen years been eng-ag-ed in the
printing- business, working- on papers in Wisconsin, Iowa, Minne-
sota and South Dakota. On the 1st of Aug-ust, 1892, in connec-
tion with his brother, H. W. Ward, he purchased the Dell Rapids
Times, and since then the firm of Ward Brothers has published this
paper. David E. is an energ-etic practical newspaper man, and
takes an active part in all local matters. He is a g-ood fellow and a
g-ood citizen, and hig-hly respected by his acquaintances.




D. E. Ward.



BURK TOAV NSKIP.

(104-50)

Burk township is bounded on the north by Moody countv, on the
east by Dell Rapids, on the south by Lyons, and on the west by
Taopi townships. The township lines were surveyed bv W. J.
Neeley in July, 1850, and the subdivision was made bv Carl C. P.
Meyer in September, 1864. The township contains 22,001.32 acres
of land. Skunk creek enters the township on the northeast quarter
of section 4, and flows in a southwesterly course, leavino- the town-
ship on section 31. There is very little waste land in the townshij),
and alonof the course of Skunk creek there is considerable bottom
land. It is settled by an industrious, thrifty class of farmers, and
there are some excellent farms in the township.

Arnst Buhring- was one of the first settlers in this township,
taking- up a homestead in 1872. Jonathan Stout with his familv came
in 1873, and the following- year several actual settlers located there,
among- whom were S. Dybedahl, Thomas Thompson, S. K. Ducken,
Ole K. Fossum, Ole Hanson. Thomas Hanson and Dennis Walters.

The first school was taug-ht in 1876, in school district number
32, by R. M. Mansagfer. Henry Porter was director of the school
board, T. S. Dybedahl treasurer, and Dennis Walters clerk.

As early as 1887, a resurvey of the township was made In- E. H,
Van Antwerp of Yankton, which survey chang-ed the boundarv lines
of a g-ood many farms, and a suit was broug-ht by Alice, Paulina and
^Slar}' Randall to enjoin the township from opening- roads upon the
lines of the new survey. Judg-e Palmer g-ranted a temporarv injunc-
tion. Soon after, how^ever, Judg-e Garland dissolved the injunction.
The suit was finally tried before Judg-e Aikens, and the township
prevailed. The case was then taken by appeal to the supreme court,
and was there reversed. When it came up for trial the second time
the case was dismissed bv Judg-e Jones upon the pleadingfs, but an
appeal was ag-ain taken to the supreme court. New suits were
broug-ht and tried before Judg-e Jones, who decided in favor of the
Randalls and was sustained by the supreme court, and the contro-
versy ended in April, 1807. It was a bitter contest from begfinning-
to end, and during- the ten years of litig-ation it attracted the atten-
tion of the public, and especially of those who were personallv inter-
ested in the resurveys that were being- made in the county.

The first post office established in the township was called (xen-
eseo, now Fleetwood, and Dennis Walters was the first postmaster.
The office was located on the southeast (luarter of section 28, In



1052 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



1877, Henrv Porter was appointed postmaster and the office removed
to the southwest quarter of section 32. In September, 1879, Dennis
Walters was ao-ain appointed postmaster, and the office removed to
the southwest quarter of section 28. In 1888, Rasmus Mansag-er
was appointed postmaster, and the office removed to the northwest
([uarter of section 2^. In 1897, Mrs. Mar}- Buhring- was appointed
postmistress, and the office removed to its present location in section
32. Samuel H. Burk, one of the earliest settlers in the township,
located on the southeast quarter of section 4. Late in the seventies
a post office was established at this point called Look Out, and Mrs.
Jane Burk was appointed postmistress. She held the office a few
vears, and then it was removed to the northwest quarter of section
4, and Henry Cox became the postmaster. The office was discon-
tinued several years aofo.

Scandinavian Evangelical Congregation of Willow
Creek. вАФ This church was org^anized with thirteen members. In
1888, a church building- was erected on the southeast corner of sec-
tion 22 in Burk township, at a cost of S3, 500, the money being- raised
bv subscription. The first minister was the Rev, H. Z. Hvid, suc-
ceeded by the Reverends A. N. Kliven, H. O. Opsal, E. H. Midtbo,
and C.C. Moe. At the present time there are two hundred and
fiftv-six persons who attend this church. There are two societies in
aid of the church, the north, and the south Willow Creek societies.
The church presents quite an imposing" appearance, and is a credit
to the enterprise of the people residing- in Burk township,

BURK TOWNSHIP BOARD.

The first township record is of a meeting- of the town board of
supervisors at the house of S. H. Burk on the 26th day of July, 1881.
The supervisors were Thor S. Dybedahl chairman, Jonathan Stout
and Ole J. Berdahl; clerk, S. H. Burk. At this meeting- a tax of five
mills for road fund and four mills for bridg-es and town fund was
levied. A warrant, probably the first one, was drawn in favor of
Dennis Walters for S16 for services as assessor. S. H. Burk
tendered his resignation as clerk, and at a subsequent meeting- of
tlie board Franklin Stout was appointed to fill the vacancy.

188'i. A meetings of the board was held January 6, the super-
visors were all present, but their names are not mentioned. Ole A.
Nyhus was clerk, Dennis Walters assessor and Franklin Ferg-uson
justice.

1883. Supervisors, Thor S. Dybedahl chairman, Jonathan
Stout, Thomas Thompson; clerk, O. A. Nyhus; assessor, Thomas
Hanson.

1884. At the first March election the following- officers were
elected: Supervisors, Thor S. Dybedahl chairman, A. H. Bemis, P.
Ferguson; clerk, O. A. Nyhus; assessor, Thomas Hanson; treas-
urer, R. M. Mansager. At a meeting- of the board March 17, Dennis
Walters was appointed supervisor in the place of F. Ferg-uson.

1885. Supervisors, A. H. Bemis chairman, Thor S. Dybedahl,
Dennis Walters; clerk, O. A. Nyhus; assessor, Thomas Hanson;
treasurer, R. M. Mansag-er.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 1053



18S(>. Supervisors, Franklin Pert^uson chairman, Thor S. Dv-
hedahl, Dennis Walters; clerk, (). A. Nyhus; assessor, Thomas
Hanson; treasurer, R. M. Mansag-er. March 20, the board resolved
that the election of road overseers should be "by a separate ballot
and ballot box" and a special election was ordered to be held for
that purpose on the 1st day of June.

1887. Supervisors, Ole B. Olson, James Blow, Ole J. Berdahl;
clerk, Franklin Stout; assessor, P. Walters; treasurer, R. M. Man-
sag-er; constable, H. M. Mansag-er. April 2, Henry Cox was a])-
pointed assessor, and the clerk was directed to write D. C. Rice,
county surveyor, to ascertain when the township could be re-
surveyed. June 1, a special meeting- was held to consider matters
in reference to the survey. July 9, it was ordered that the quarter
corners be established and the survey recorded according- to the
lield notes. Aug-ust 7, several orders were drawn in favor of per-
sons who had been eng-ag-ed in surveying- the township. Aug-ust 15,
E. H. Van Antwerp, the surveyor, was directed to erect landmarks at
every quarter section corner in the township. October 15, the boartl
directed the clerk to post eig-ht notices ordering- each and every
freeholder to open all roads in the township according- to the re-
snrvey before the first day of April, 1888.

1888. Supervisors, Thor S. Dybedah Ichairman, Ole J. Berdalil,
James Blow; clerk, O. H. Nyhus, Jr.; assessor, Thomas Hanson.
There were several meeting-s of the board during- the year to con-
sider questions arising- out of the resurvey. A suit had been com-
menced in the interest of those opposed to the lines established b\'
the resurvey, and measures were adopted by the board to defend
the suit and open the roads on the new lines. Balance in the treas-
ury S29.17.

1889. Supervisors, Thor S. Dybedahl chairman, O. J. Bertlahl,
James Blow; clerk, O. H, Nyhus, Jr.; treasurer, R. M. Mansag-er;
assessor, Franklin Stout. The board during- the 3'ear made pro-
visions for expenses incurred in the Randall survey suit.

1890. Supervisors, Thor S. Dybedahl chairman, O. J. Berdahl,
James Blow; clerk, O. H. Nyhus; treasurer, M. E. Mansag-er; asses-
sor, O. A, Nyhus. A committee was appointed "to look over the town-
ship books and see if the money used during- the last year had been
correctly expended and recorded." March 25, the board met and
(juite a number of other citizens of the township were present, and
the committee reported as follows: "We have examined the books of
the township and found them all corresponding- with the treasurer's
books with the exception of Sb.50, which the treasurer has paid o\er
and above the amount of orders issued, and that we are satisfied that
that money has been paid as interest on orders between the time
they were presented and until paid. We also find that the board has
drawn more money from the township than the record shows they
are entitled to for such services, and we desire the board to make a
record of such money that has been used outside of the meeting-s and
elections held in the town during- their term of office. We find that
the board has consumed S211.20 for service for their term of three
years, and the records of meeting-s don't allow them that much. We



1054 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



further ask the board to explain why they did not settle and draw
orders for services in 1889, as they have done before. We find the
orders issued for services for the year 1889, as follows: James Blow
S48.20, O. Berdahl S43.80. F. B. Stout, John H. Hill, Committee."
After some discussion and explanation a motion was made that it
proved satisfactory, and the matter was dismissed. Auo-ust 20, an
order of S150 was issued to Thor S. Dybedahl to pay witnesses in the
survey suit their mileag-e and fees.

1891. Supervisors, Miles Walters, A. T. Hamre, Thomas Han-
son; clerk, O. H. Nyhus, Jr.; assessor, Knut Possum. June 22, Thor
S. Dybedahl was appointed justice of the peace. Jul}^ 25, the board
met to look over the account of the expenses in the survey case, and
the clerk was instructed to make out an itemized bill of fees paid to
the witnesses.

1892. Supervisors, James Blow, A. T. Hamre, Thomas Han-
son; clerk, O. H. Nyhus, Jr.; assessor, O. A. Nyhus. March 29, the
board appointed Nels Haug-se constable, and allow^ed H. H. Keith's
bill of SlOO for leg-al services in the survey case, and ordered two
roads opened.

1893. Supervisors, O. J. Berdahl, James Blow, Thor S. Dybe-
dahl; clerk, O. H. Nyhus, Jr.; assessor, O. B. Dahlg-ren; treasurer,
R. E. Mansag-er; justice, Thomas Hanson. At the first meeting- of the
new board the road overseers in districts No. 1 and 4 were instructed
to open a new road in each of the two districts, according- to descrip-
tion. May 24, the board directed the chairman and clerk of the board
to g-o to Sioux Palls and procure an injunction to be served on Pau-
lina Randall and others, as plaintiffs in the survey case. July 10, the
board resolved to go to Sioux Palls and see an attorney about what
could be done "in reg-ard to the corners that are lost or destroyed."
At the end of the fiscal \^ear the treasurer reported a balance in the
treasury of SI, 014.78.

1894. Supervisors, Thor S. Dybedahl chairman, Ole J. Ber-
dahl, James Blow; clerk, O. A. N^dius; treasurer, R. M. Mansag-er;
assessor, O. B. Dahlg-ren.

1895. Supervisors, Thor S. Dybedahl chairman, Ole J. Ber-
dahl, James Blow; clerk, Pranklin Stout; treasurer, Thomas Han-
son; assessor, J. R. Jones.

1896. Supervisors, Thor S. Dybedahl chairman, John Mag -
ness, A. A. Morse; clerk, P. B. Stout; treasurer, R. M. Mansag-er;
assessor, J. M. Berdahl.

1897. Supervisors, Thor S. Dybedahl chairman, John Mag -
ness, John Williamson; clerk, P. B. Stout; treasurer, S. K. Ducken;
assessor, J. M. Berdahl,

1898. Supervisors, T. S. Dybedahl chairman, John William-
son, Ole Nyhus; clerk, O. B. Dahlg-ren; treasurer, S. K. Ducken; as-
sessor, J. M. Berdahl.

1899. Supervisors, T. S. Dybedahl chairman, Ole A. Nyhus,
Thomas Hanson; clerk, O. B. Dahlgren; treasurer, S. K. Ducken; as-
sessor, J. O. Berdahl.




A. H. Bkmis.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



1057



BIOGRAPHICAL SKh7rCHES.



school at Albert Lee, Minnesota, and taug-ht in the



Aga, Lars J., is a native of Norway, and was horn April 20,
1S54. He eniio'rated to the United States with his parents in 1800,
and settled in Winneshiek count\% Iowa. He attended school and
worked on his father's farm until 1872, when he entered Luther Col-
lef)fe at Decorah, Iowa, and was o-raduated in 1876. He then com-
menced teachin

same district twelve consecutive years.
He came to this county in the sprino- of
1888, and boug-ht the southwest quar-
ter of section 18 in Burk. xAlthoug-li
he had a farm he taug-ht school in Burk
and Grand Meadow townships until he
was elected a member of the leg'isla-
ture in 1891. In the fall of that year
he became principal of the Lutheran
Normal school at Sioux Palls, and held
this position until he assumed the
duties of county superintendent of
schools of Minnehaha county in the fall
of 1893. He was re-elected to the same
office in 1895. He made a g-ood official,
and attended to the duties of the office
with g-reat fidelity, and worked indus-
triously to elevate the standard of thi
district school in this county. Whenj
his term of office expired, he engaged
in farming- in Burk township, where he-
owns a very fine farm in section 18, on
which he is at this writing- erecting
one of the most commodious and modern farm dwelling- houses that
can be seen in the county. He is highly respected as a citizen.

Barbell, N., was born in Elsass, Germany, December 15, 1839.
After coming to this country he lived in Illinois and Iowa for some
time and came to Minnehaha county in May, 1870. He then filed a
tree claim upon the northeast (piarter of section 10 in Burk, where
he engaged in farming.

Bemis, Alvin H., was born at Spencer, Massachusetts, Sep-
tember 2, 1837. He lived there and in Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa
prior to his coming to Dakota in 1881, when he settled in this county.
He took up as a homestead the northwest quarter of section in
Burk, where he still resides. He has since purchased the southwest
quarter of the same section and has a good farm. He enlisted^in the
Union army in x\ugust, 1864, and served until September, 1865. He
has held several offices in Burk township, is a good citizen, a suc-
cessful farmer, and well known throughout the county.

Beruahl, Ole J., was born in Norway, October 15, 1841. He
emigrated to the United States in 1861, and settled in Wisconsin.
In 1877 he removed from there to Dakota, and arrived in Burk, June

67




Lars J. Aga.



1058 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



15, of that vear. He took up as a homestead the northeast quarter of
section 18, and as a timber claim the northwest quarter of the same
section. He resides on his homestead and has a trood farm with com-
modious building's. He has held various town offices, has been chair-
man of the town board and was countv commissioner three years.
He was the first Scandinavian who settled in Burk west of Skunk
creek, and built the first frame house in that localit}'. During- the
first six weeks he resided on his homestead he saw only two persons.
He is an active, prominent citizen, and hig-hly respected by his
neighbors.

Berge, Osten, was born in Norway, 1847; emig-rated to this
country in 1883, and settled in Lyons, this county, taking- up as a
homestead the northwest quarter of section 6, where he resided until
in 1892, when he sold it to his son, and moved on to a farm of 160
acres which he owns in section 32 in Burk, where he now resides,
and has a g-ood farm. He is a properous farmer and a g-ood citizen.

Blow, James, was born in Tiog-a county. New York, November
27, 1839. He was reared on a farm, and received his education in
the common schools. In April, 1883, he came to this county and
bou^^ht the southwest quarter of section 6 in Dell Rapids, but sold
this, and in the fall of 1886, boug-ht the northwest quarter of section
15, in Burk, where he has since resided. He has quite a g-ood farm,
and has been an active citizen, holding- the office of supervisor several
years. He has been one of the foremost men in Burk in the litig-a-
tion g-rowing- out of the resurvey of that township, favoring- the line
established by the resurvey. He usually puts in an appearance at
the county conventions as a deleg-ate from Burk, and is one of the
enterprising- men in that vicinitv.

BuHRiNG, Arnst, one of the first settlers in Burk, is a native of
(xermany, and was born in 1850. He emig-rated to this country,
lived in Wisconsin for some time, and came to Minnehaha county in
1872. He took up as a homestead the east half of the northwest
quarter, and the west half of the northeast quarter of section 32, in
Burk, where he still resides. He is a successful farmer, and a g-ood
citizen. His wife, Mrs. Mary Buhring-, is the present postmistress
of Fleetwood postoffice, which is located on his farm.

Cox, Henry, is a native of Eng-land, and was born in Julv, 1834.
After emig-rating- to this country in March, 1864, he lived in several
states, and finally came to this county and settled in Burk in 1880.
He purchased the northw^est quarter of section 4 in that township,
and resided there until his decease on the 14th dav of November,
1894. He had been a miner for a g-reat many years, and his health
was g-reatly impaired when he came here. He was a respected
citizen.

Dahlgren, O. B., was born in Christiania, Norw-av, November
9, 1862, emig-rated with his parents to the United States in the fall
of 1866; lived in New York state a short time, and then removed to
Kansas, where they remained eleven years; in July, 1880, came to
Dakota, and located in this countv, on section 23 in" Burk township,
and still resides there. The subiect of this sketch bouo-ht and now




Ole J. Bekuahl.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 1061



owns the soutli hiilf <>f said section. He was assessor of Burl>: town-
ship in 1893 and 18')4, and clerk of the town hoard in 1S*)S, and is a
u-ood farmer and a g-ood citizen.

Dybedahl, Thor S., is a native of Norwav, and was horn in
184^). He emiiJ-rated to the United States in 18(/),"and settled in Iowa
for live years. On the 18th day of June, 1874, he came to this countv
and took up the northwest quarter of section 23 in Burk as a home-
stead, and the southeast qviarter of section 15 as a tree claim, which
he proved up in 18S2, and secured a patent. Mr. S. Dybedahl, his
father, who was born in Norway, November 1, 1817, and died in
Burk, September 3, 1878), Thomas Thompson and S. K. Ducken,
were the tirst Norwegians who settled in Burk. A few Americans
had located near Skunk creek before they came. Mr. Dybedahl's
father took up the northeast quarter of section 22, which the subject
of this sketch now owns. He has been a member of the town board
ten years, nine years of which he was its chairman, and has also
held the office of justice of the peace. He is a g-ood farmer and an
active, respected citizen.

Possum, OleK., came to the United States from Norway, where
he was born November 22, 1819. He lived in Iowa and Minnesota
before he settled in this county in 1874. He then secured quite a
large amount of land, and owns at the present time the northwest
quarter of section 35, the west half of the southwest quarter of sec-
tion 34, and the east half of the southeast quarter of section 3>3 in
Burk. He resides M'ith his son Knut O. Possum on the northeast
quarter of section 33. Mr. Possum has been school district clerk,

Gronsdal, G. ()., is a native of Norway, and was born July 7,
1848. He emigrated to the United States in 1864, and resided in
Iowa until 1880, when he removed to this county. He took up as a
homestead the southwest quarter of section 8 in Burk, where he now
resides. He has held the office of justice of the peace.

Hanson, Ole, was born in Norwav in 1S48; emig-rated to this
country and lived in Iowa until in 1874, when he removed to Minne-
haha county. He took up as a homestead the southeast quarter of
section 14 in Burk, where he now resides. He also filed a timber
claim on the north half of the northeast quarter of section 23 in
the same town, and has a g"ood farm, with g-ood improvements. He
is an industrious farmer and a g-ood citizen.



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 95 of 99)