Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 96 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 96 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Hanson, Thomas, is a native of Norway and was born October
17, 1857. He emig-rated to the United States in 18()9. and lived in
Iowa until 1874, when he removed to Dakota and settled in Burk.
He took up the southwest quarter of section 13 as a homestead and
now resides there. He also secured the northwest quarter of section
24 under the tree-culture laws, and has a g-ood farm. He has held
various school and town offices, among- them that of chairman of
the town board of supervisors. He is an active, enterprising: citi-
zen, and well liked in his neighborhood.

Hamre, Aad T., was born in Norway, Aug-ust 6, 1848; emigrated
to the United States and settled in Winneshiek countv, Iowa, in 1867;



1062 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



came to this county in 1874, and resided in Lyons township four
years; then moved to Burk township and took up as a homestead the
southeast quarter of section 20, where he has since resided. He has
been a member of the township board several years, and is a o-ood
citizen.

Hamre, Adolph, son of Aad Hamre, was horn in Clinton
county, Iowa, October 21, 1872, and came to this county with his par-
ents in 1874; was reared on a farm, attended the district schools, and
took a two years course in Aug-ustana coUeg-e at Canton, South Da-
kota. He has taug-ht school in this county during- the last eigfht
years, and has the reputation of being- a proficient and successful
teacher.

Hayward, Charles E., was born in Spencer, Tiog-a county,
New York, February 25, 1835. He was reared on a farm and at-
tended the public schools. In 1879 he removed to Dakota, arriving-
in Burk on the 7th day of November of that year. He purchased a
pre-emption relinquishment on the southwest quarter of section 3,
and resided there until February, 1897, when he removed to New
York. On the first day of Aug-ust, 1862, he enlisted in Co. A, 109th
N. Y. Inf., and served until the 14th day of May, 1865. While in the
military service he received a g-un-shot wound in his rig-ht shoulder,
and since then his rig-ht arm has been partially disabled.

Johnson, Hendrick N., was born at Spring-dale, Wisconsin,
November 21, 1858. He received a common school education, and
always eng-ag-ed in farming*. On the 26th day of March, 1897, he re-
moved to Burk, where he now resides. He is a g-ood citizen and an
enterprising- farmer.

KiTTLESON, Thomas O., came to the United States in 1862 from
Norway, where he was born April 15, 1851. He resided in Iowa fif-
teen years, and came to Dakota in 1877, when he located on the
southeast quarter of section 21, which he filed upon as a homestead.
He also owns the northeast quarter of the same section; has a g-ood
farm and is a g-ood citizen.

Magness, John, is a native of Norway, and was born September
15, 1823. He emig-rated with his parents to the United States, and
settled in Winneshiek county, Iowa, in 1855. January 15, 1873, he
came to Sioux Falls, and during- the next three years was eng-ag-ed in
freig-hting- for C. K. Howard and Knut Thompson. In 1876 he pre-
empted the southwest quarter of section 19, in Burk, and settled
down to farming-. He still resides in Burk, but sold his farm there,
and boug-ht the north half of section 23 in Taopi, and other land, and
now owns about 800 acres of fine land, and a fine live stock. He is a
g-ood citizen, has been on the town board several years, and is quite
active in local politics.

Mansager, Michael E., was born in Norway in 1825, and emi-
g-rated to Iowa. He came to Dell Rapids in this county in 1876, but
soon after secured a homestead and a tree claim in sections 29 and
30 in Burk. He is an industrious man and a g-ood citizen.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 1063



Mansager, R. E., was born in Northwood, Worth countv, Iowa,
Ojtober 20, 1858. He was reared on a farm and educated in the
common schools. In 1870 he came to this countv and settled in Burk.
He was elected town treasurer in 1882, and has been re-elected from
vear to year to the present writinu-, and has also been school treas-
urer for several vears. He was appointed postmaster at Fleetwood
in 1880, and is one of the g-ood citizens of Burk.

Nyhus, Ole a., is a native of Norway, and was born March 11,
1852. He emigrated to the United States in 1800, and resided in
AVisconsin until he removed to this county, where he arrived on the
2d day of June, 1878. He took up the northwest quarter of section
7 in Burk, and has made a g'ood farm of it. Mr, Nyhus taug-ht the
first school in Burk, in the school house located on the southeast
corner of the southwest quarter of section 7. He has held the offices
of assessor and justice, and has been town clerk several years. He
is a g-Qod neig-hbor and citizen.

Randall, Prank, was born in the citv of Valparaiso, Indiana,
January 23, 1850. During- his minority he worked on a farm and at-
tended public schools. He eng-ag-ed in farming- in Iowa previous to
coming- to Dakota in 1882, at which time he located in this county
and boug-ht a farm in section 9 in Burk township, where he has since
resided. He has been one of the prominent actors in the litig-ation
g-rowing- out of the resurvey of that township, and has to the best of
his ability endeavored to maintain the lines as they were before the
resurve}'. He is a g-ood farmer and an energ-etic citizen.

Stout, Jonath\n, was born in 1822, in Ohio. He lived in that
state and in Indiana, Illinois and Iowa, prior to his coming- to Dakota,
in 1873, when he settled in this county. He tor>k up as a homestead
the northwest quarter of section 2S, in the town of Burk, where he
still resides.

Stout, James, was born in 18+0, in Illinois. He removed with
his parents to Iowa, and from there he came to Dakota in 1873, and
has been a resident of this county since then. He resides upon the
homestead taken up by his father, having- sold his homestead, which
he took up on the southeast quarter of section 21.

Stout, Pranklix. is a brother of James Stout, and was born in
1857, in the state of Illinois, where he lived until he removed with his
parents to Iowa; from there he went to Nebraska, and came to Da-
kota in 1873. He then secured land in the same section as his father,
and located on the northeast quarter, where he still resides. They
are all three ^ood farmers and have g-ood farms, and are well-known
citizens of the county.

Thompson, Thomas, was born in Norway May 17, 1828, and was
reared on a farm. In 185t), he emig-rated to the United States and
located at Racine, Wisconsin. In 1853, he removed to Lincoln,
Winneshiek countv, Iowa, where he eng-ag-ed in farming- until 1874,
when he came to this county. He settled in Burk, taking- up three-
fourths of section 27, as a homestead, timber claim and pre-emption.
He has since bouo-ht the balance of this section, and has erected his



1064



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



building-s in the center of the same. Mr. Thompson has in addition
to his farm of 620 acres a few acres of woodland, and is considered




Farm Residence ov Thomas Thompson.



one of the best farmers in the county. He has held school and town
offices, and is a hig-hh^ respected citizen.

Walters, Dennis, w^as born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania,
February 12, 1847, and moved wnth his parents to Iowa when six
years of ag-e. On the 22d day of October, 1864, he enlisted in Com-
pany K, 15th Iowa Infantry, and served throug-h the remainder of
the civil war. After the war he eng-ag-ed in farming- in Iowa until
the spring- of 1874, when he removed to Dakota, arriving- in Sioux
Falls on the 1st day of April. He soon after took up as a homestead
the southeast quarter of section 28 in Burk township, where he lo-
cated and eng-ag-ed in farming-. In May, 1875, a post office was estab-
lished in Burk called Geneseo, and Mr. Walters was the first post-
master, with the post office at his residence. He held the office for
about two years. In 1879, he was ag-ain appointed postmaster and
held the office until 1888, when he removed to Dell Rapids, where he
has since resided. While a resident of Burk he held school offices,
was assessor two years, and one of the town supervisors several
years. In January, 1870, he married Caroline Stout, daughter of
Jonathan Stout, then of Iowa, but now a resident of Burk.



TAOPI TO^VNSHIP.

(104-51)

This township is bounded on the north by Lake county, on the
east by Burk, on the south by Grand Meadow, and on the west l)y
Buffalo townships. The township lines were surveyed by W. J.
Neeley in Aug-ust, 1859, and the subdivision was made by H. T.
Austin in July, 1867. The township contains 22,234.% acres of land.
At the time the subdivision was made there was a body of water
comprising- 146.20 acres in the north half of section 3, and a small
body of water covering- 37.10 acres in the northwest quarter of sec-
tion 5. There was a small lake called Boot Lake in sections 4, 8 and
9 comprising- 258.20 acres. Its form is similar to that of a boot and
it is probable that its name was the result of its peculiar formation.
Clear Lake, at the time referred to, covered 550.80 acres, 133.85 of
which was in section 31 in this township. There were also three
small streams having- their source in this township, which flowed in
a southeasterly direction.

Georg-e Aker and Charles T. Austin settled in the township in
1876, and after this time the land was g-radually taken up by actual
settlers. In May, 1878, J. B. Goddard settled on the southwest
quarter of section 20, and the following- December a post office was
established at this point. Mr. Goddard was appointed postmaster,
and has retained the office since then. He also opened a g-eneral
store, and has continued the business down to the present time.
Early in April, 1897, the Taopi Creamery Company was incorpor-
ated. Its capital stock was fixed at S4,000, divided into one hundred
and sixty shares. The incorporators were J. E. Colton, John An-
drews, W, O. Colton, Austin Thompson, Georg-e Aker, C. B. Hunte-
mer and Andrew B. Lemme. A creamery was soon constructed and
fully equipped, and opened for business June 16, 1897, and has l)een
in successful operation since then. It is located on the northeast
corner of section 27.

The location of a creamery at this point, with its larg-e jmtron-
ag-e, made it a desirable location for other business enterprises. In
July, 1898, a post office was established, and H. Lovald appointed
postmaster. Colton has already two stores and a blacksmith shop,
and is rapidly putting- on the appearance of a lively little villag-e.

The first school was taug-ht in district number 62, during the
summer of 1880, in an old sod house located on the northeast quarter
of section 26, where the present school house is located, and Mrs.
Ellen Colton was the teacher.



1066 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Minnehaha Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church.—
This church which is connected with the Norweg-ian Evano-elical
Lutheran Synod of America, was oro-anized February 28, 187^), by
the Rev. O. O. Sando. In 1881 a church building- was erected on the
northeast corner of the northeast quarter of section 35 in Taopi, at
a cost of S700, which was paid for by the nierabers of the church.
The Rev. O. O. Sando has remained its pastor since its org-anization,
and services are held once in two weeks. It has one hundred and
five communicants, and the cong^reg'ation is so larg^e that the erection
of a more commodious building- is contemplated in the near future.
There is a Ladies' society and a Young- Girls' society connected with
the church, which are in a flourishing- condition.

St. Ansgar Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church. —
This church was organized Aug-ust 22, 1887, b}' people residing- in
the townships of Taopi and Burk, with a membership of sixty. In
1889, a church building- was erected on the southeast corner of the
northeast quarter of section 13 in Taopi, at a cost of a little over
S3, 000. It is located on the farm of C. A. Grinde,and presents a fine
appearance. Services are held every third Sunday, and at the pres-
ent time there are two hundred and seventy persons connected with
this congreg-ation. Three Ladies' societies have been org-anized
in aid of the church work. Its first pastor was the Rev. A. O.
Berg-e, who ofliciated until 1891, and since then the Rev. C. C. Moe
has been its pastor.

St. Joseph's Catholic Church. — This church was org-anized
in 1888, by the Rev. Father Flynn of Madison, South Dakota. Ser-
vices were held in a school house until the spring of 1889, when a
church building was erected on the southeast corner of the south-
east quarter of section 2, in Taopi. The cost of the church was
about SI, 500, which has been all paid by subscription among- the
members, except about $200 g-iven by outsiders, and the building- is
a commodious and appropriate house of worship. Services are held
once or twice in each month. The Rev. Fathers Flynn, Maher,
Wise, Zink, Gavin, Grabig, Hog-an, Mentzing-, O'Hora and Feinler
have had charg-e of the church, and the Rev. Father M. J. Martyn,
who resides at Dell Rapids, is the present pastor. The congreg-a-
tion consists of about fourteen families. There is also a Sunday
school connected with the church with about twenty scholars.

TAOPI TOWNSHIP BOARD.

At the flrst general election held at the residence of J. B. God-
dard on Tuesday, November 2, 1880, the following- persons were elec-
ted town officers: J. E. Colton, C. T. Austin and James Murphy
supervisors; Ebenezer Kilburn and Peter J. Bardell justices of the
peace, A. G. Birura and E. S. Grinde constables, Frank Stowel
clerk, W. O. Colton treasurer, L. L. Willard assessor, J. B. God-
dard poundmaster, Adolph Klein overseer of the highways. It was
voted that the township be called Taopi. W. C. Rowland was clerk
of election, and J. B. Goddard one of the judg-es.

1881. January 10, the board met at "the post office. J. B. God-



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 1067



dard was appointed town clerk to lill \aeanc\- in ])laee of I^^rank
Stowel. C. F. Heberlein was appointed supervisor in place of James
Mnr])hy, and (tco. O. Goddard in place of J. E. Colton. C. T. Aus-
tin was chosen chairman. The iirst warrant was issued in faxor of
J(din Paul for SIO, on the 1st day of October, 1881.

1882. Supervisors, B. C. Baarson chairman, K. Kilhurn, J. E.
Colton: clerk, J. B, (ioddard; treasurer, W. C. Loverini;-. Kebriiarv
11, C T. Austin was appointed assessor.

1888. Supervisors. W. C. Loverin,i>- chairman, J. li,. Colton, H.
C. Baarson; clerk, J. B. Goddard; treasurer, (leorge (). Cioddard;
justice, E. Kilburn. December 31, E. Kilburn was appointed chair-
man of the board, Mr. Lovering- having- removed from the township.

1884. Supervisors, E. Kilburn, W. O. Colton, C. A. (xrinde;
clerk, B. C. Baarson. September 22, the resig-nation of B. C. Baar-
son as clerk was accepted and J. B. Goddard was appointed to fill
vacancy.

1885. Supervisors, E. Kilburn chairman, W. (). Colton, C. A.
Grinde; clerk, J. B. (xoddard; treasurer, G. O. (xoddard; assessor,
C. T. Austin.

1886. Supervisors, L. L. Willard, E. Kilburn, C. A. Grinde;
clerk, W. O. Colton; assessor, Tom Larson; justice of the peace,
Zadock Clark. The equalized value of property assessed in the
township was 5104,895.

1887. Supervisors, C. A. Grinde chairman, L. L. Willard, J.
O. Reed; clerk, J. B. Goddard; treasurer, Geo. O. (xoddard; assessor,
Tom Larson; constable, Elias Larson. May 25, J. O. Reed resig-ned
as supervisor and C. H. Reed was appointed to fill the vacancv.

1888. Supervisors, C. A. Grinde, L. L. Willard, C. T. "Austin;
clerk, J. B. Goddard; treasurer, G. O. Goddard; assessor, Tom Lar-
son; justices, J. E. Colton, C. B. Huntemer; constables, W. O. Col-
ton, Alfred Stenson. March 12, Georg-e P. Aker was appointed jus-
tice in place of C. B. Huntemer, wdio failed to qualify. March 31, E.
Kilburn was appointed justice to fdl vacancy,

1889. Supervisors, L. L. Willard chairman, C. T. Austin, Tom
Larson; clerk, J. B. Goddard; assessor, C. A. Grinde; treasurer,
Geo. O. Goddard; justice, E. Kilburn. November 6, contract was
let to J. E. Colton for g-rading- road on south line of section 4, across
Boot Lake, and on December 3, an order was drawn for the g-rading-,
for S205.50. At the end of the year there was a balance on hand in
the treasury of S5.53.

1890. Notwithstanding- there were quite a number of meeting-s
of the board during- the year, it is impossible to ascertain from the
records the names of the officials. March 25, E. A. Seaman was ap-
pointed justice of the peace for one \'ear.

1891. Supervisors, J. E. Colton chairman, A. G. Birum, A.
Stinton; Clerk, A. Huntemer; treasurer, C. B. Huntemer; assessor,
Eli Larson; justices, E. A. Seaman. K. Kilburn; constable Ole P.
Olson.

1892. Supervisors, J. E. Colton chairman, Cxeorg-e Aker, J.M.
Berdahl; clerk, A. Huntemer; treasurer, C. B. Huntemer; assessor,
Elias Larson; justice, E. Kilburn: constables, A. G. Birum. C. R.



1068 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Stondahl. It was ordered at this meetino- that "the noxious weeds
on the highways be destroyed by the road overseers."

1803. The records are silent as to who were elected at the an-
nual town election, but it appears on March 28, that A. E. Willard
was appointed town clerk, and that C. B. Huntemer treasurer, W. O.
Colton assessor, E. Kilburn justice and C. Kilburn constable gave
their official bonds. Several raeeting-s were held during the year and
routine business was transacted.

1894. Supervisors, G. O. Goddard, Martin Thompson, L. L.
Willard; treasurer, C. B. Huntemer; justice, Peter P. Bowen; con-
stable, C. K. Stondahl. April 17, the board decided to g-ive notice
through the Dell Rapids Times for the destruction of the Russian
thistle.

1895. Supervisors, Geo. O. Goddard, C. B. Huntemer, Austin
Thompson; clerk, C. A. Grinde; treasurer, Nels Baardson.

1890. Supervisors, George O. Goddard chairman, C. B. Hun-
temer, Charles Thompson; clerk, C. A. Grinde; treasurer, Nels
Baardson; assessor, M. T. Austin.

1897. Supervisors, L. L. Willard chairman, Charles Thomp-
son, C. B. Huntemer; clerk, C. A. Grinde; treasurer, Nels Baardson;
assessor, M. T. Austin.

1898. Supervisors, George O. Goddard chairman, Iver I. Eit-
reim, C. T. Austin; clerk, C. A. Grinde; treasurer, Nels Baardson;
assessor, M. T. Austin.

1899. Supervisors, George O. Goddard chairman, Iver I.
Eitreim, C. T. Austin; clerk, C. A. Grinde; treasurer, W. O. Colton;
assessor, C. H. Reed; justices of the peace, C. H. Reed, Louis
Clarke.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

Aker, George, was born in Norway in 1858; emigrated to the
United States and lived in Iowa until 1876, when he located in this
county, where he has since resided. He took up a homestead on the
southeast quarter of section 24 in Taopi, and has a good farm. He
has been justice of the peace, and supervisor of the town board, is an
industrious farmer and a respected citizen.

Austin, Charles T., was born in Norway in 1850; came to the
United States when only ten years of age, and his opportunities for
an education in his native country and in this country were so broken
up that most of his attainments may be considered self-acquired.
He went to Winneshiek county, Iowa, in 1865, lived there a few
years, and then removed to Fillmore countv, Minnesota. In 1876 he
came to Minnehaha county, where he has since resided engaged in
farming. He secured a homestead on the southeast quarter of sec-
tion 35 in Taopi, to which he has added by purchase the east half of
the southwest quarter of section 36, and'^has a comfortable and well
improved farm. He has been an active participant in all public
aifairs in his township and county; was elected member of the house
of representatives of the state legislature in 1890, on the Republican
ticket, and again in 1895, during' which term he served on the judi-
ciary and other important committees. In 1898 he was elected to the




Charles T. Austin.



I



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 1071



same oflicc on the fusion ticket. He is deservedly ])oi)ular with all
who know him.

Baardson, Nels, is a natixe of Norway, and was horn in Jul\-,
1853. He emi,i>-rated to the United States in 1S74, and located in
Iowa. In 1878 he removed to Dakota and settled in this county. He
took up as a homestead the southwest (|uarter of section 24 in Taopi,
and purchased eio-hty acres adjoininj^-, and has a «-ood farm. He has
been town treasurer several years, and is an esteemed citizen.

Bell, Archibald, came to this country from (xlaso-ow, Scot-
land, where he was born in 1830, He lived in Illinois and Wisconsin
l)efore he came to Dakota, and settled in this countv in 1878. He
tiled on 160 acres of land as a homestead, sold 80 acres, and of the
remaining- part, the west half of the northwest quarter of section
28, in Taopi, he has made a g-ood farm, with substantial building-s
and resides there at the present time. He enlisted in the armv in
1804, served 18 months, and was discharg-ed in June, 1865.

Berge, Ole a., is a native of Norway, and was born Januarv
30, 1851. He came to America in 1854, and located with his parents
in Wisconsin for three years; then resided in Minnesota till 1881,
when he came to Minnehaha county and located on his present farm,
the southeast quarter of section 7, in Taopi, where he still resides,
eng'ag'ed in farming-. He has been school director and road overseer.

Birum, Albert G., is a native of Baraboo, Sauk county, Wis-
consin, where he was born in 1850, He came to Dakota from Iowa
in the summer of 1878, and was for several years a resident of this
county. He owned a fine farm on the northeast quarter of section
32 in Taopi, where he resided until 1893, when he sold his farm and
removed to Sioux Falls, and for about a >'ear was the proprietor of
the Phillips House, and then removed from the state. He was one of
the first constables of Taopi after the county had been org-anized into
townships, and was a member of the town board of supervisors and
also of the school board.

BoRViK, Ole B., w\as born January 1<>, 18()4, in Norway. He
emigrated to the United States when twenty years old, and came to
Minnehaha county May 28, 1884. He boug-ht the southwest (piarter
of section 21 in Taopi, and eng-ag-ed in farming-.

Carson, Martin O,, was born in Fillmore county, Minnesota,
February 4, 1866. He came to this county with his father, Ole J.
Carson, of (irand Meadow, in 1884, and has at the present time a
nice farm of his own, comprising- the east half of the southeast <|uar-
ter of section 36 in Taopi.

Chandonette, Joseph, is a native of Canada, and was bor
February 23, 1833, In the fall of 18()0 he came to the United States
and settled in New York. On the 15th day of July, 1878, he came to
this county, where he has since resided. He took up a homestead
in section 28 in Taopi, and is a g-ood farmer and a j^-ood citizen.

Clark, Zad(^)CK, was born at Henderson, New York, in 1832.
( )n the 22d dav of October, 1861, he enlisted in the army and served
until Aug-ust, 1865, when he was honorably discharg-ed. In 1882 he
came to Dakota and located in this county, where he has since re-



1072 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY,



sided. He boug-ht a farm on the southwest quarter of section 28
in Taopi, and eng-ag-ed in farming-. In 1886 he was elected justice
of the peace, and is a g-ood citizen.

CoLTON, J. E., was born in Sylvester, Green county, Wisconsin,
March 28, 1857. He resided for some time in Iowa, and came to this
county in May, 1878, and settled in Taopi, taking- up a pre-emption
the first year and a homestead and tree claim in 1879. He has a very
fine farm, comprising- three quarters of section 27, and is a prog-res-
sive, successful farmer. He has held town offices, and was county
superintendent of schools from January 1, 1883, to 1887. He made a
good superintendent, and performed the duties of the office with g-reat
fidelity. He is well informed upon public matters and takes an ac-
tive part in politics, and is recog-nized as one of the most influential
citizens in the county. Rig-ht or wrong- he is always earnest and hon-
est in maintaining- his views. He is a good neig'hbor and has a host
of friends.

CoLTON, W. O., was born in Wisconsin, February 26, 1859, and
was reared on a farm and educated in the public schools. He
came to this county in 1880, and took up as a homestead the south-
east quarter of section 21, in Taopi, and has since boug-ht the north-
east quarter of section 28, in the same township. His larg-e farm is
well cultivated, and he has some valuable improvements in the line of
building's. He has held town offices, and was county commissioner



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 96 of 99)