Copyright
Dana Reed Bailey.

History of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. online

. (page 97 of 99)
Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 97 of 99)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


from his district for the term of three years, ending- January 1, 1895.
In November, 1896, he was elected to the lower house of the leg-is-
lature on the Populist ticket. He made a g-ood official, is an uprig-ht,
honest citizen, and is well liked by all who know him.

EiTREiM, IvER, was born in the beautiful part of Norway called
Hardang-er, June 6, 1862. When twenty years of ag-e he emig-rated
to the United States, and lived in Minnesota for three years. In 1885,
he came to Dakota, and has been a resident of this county ever since.
He resides on his farm in section 16, in Taopi, eng-ag-ed in farming-.
He is a member of the town board, and is a g-ood citizen.

Pish, John, was born in Iowa, April 5, 1862. In 1873, he located
in Valley Springs township, this county, and when of ag-e boug-ht 160
acres of land in section 28, in Taopi, and eng-ag-ed in farming-.

Glennon, H. p., was born at Potosi, Grant county, Wisconsin,
March 30, 1858. He located in Minnehaha county in March, 1888, and
has since resided there. He boug-ht 320 acres of land, comprising-
the north half of section 10, in Taopi, where he resides and has a fine
farm. He is an enterprising- farmer and a g-ood citizen.

GoDDARD, George O., was born in Monona, Clayton county, la.,
March 6, 1856. He removed to Taopi, this county, in May, 1878, and
took up as a homestead the northwest quarter of section 29, and as a
tree claim the southeast quarter of section 20, where he resides and
has a very g-ood farm. He is eng-aged in the mercantile business with
his father, J. B. Goddard. He has been a member of the town board
for several years, the g-reater part of which time he has been its
chairman. He is public-spirited, a g-ood business man, and a highly
esteemed citizen.




j. E. COLTUX.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 1075



GoDDARD, J. B., was born in Rutland county, Vermont, October
1(), 1830. He came West, and resided for a few years in Iowa and
Minnesota, and removed to this county and settled in Taopi in 1878,
securing- a pre-emption on the southwest quarter of section 20, where
he has since resided. In December, 1878, the Taopi post office was
established and Mr. (Toddard was appointed postmaster, which posi-
tion he has held ever since. For ten years he was town clerk of
Taopi. In addition to farming- he has been eng^ag-ed in the mercan-
tile business at Taopi since 1878. He is not only a good official, but
is a g'ood farmer rind a successful business man. His location for
country trade is all that could be desired, and "Goddard's store" is
known to all the residents of Minnehaha county and vicinity. Mr.
(loddard is a strong- man with decided views upon all public ques-
tions, and is well liked by his neighbors.

Grinde, Carl A., was born in Norway, January 9, 1857, but his
residence in that country was of short duration, as his parents emi-
grated to the United States when he was only two weeks old. In
June, 1870, he came to this county, and for one year resided in Edi-
son; then removed to Taopi and secured by pre-emption the south-
east quarter of section 13, where he has since resided. He has a
good farm w^ith good improvements. He has held several important
town offices, and was a member of the house of representati\es of the
state legislature in 1893. He has a larg-e family of children of which
he is proud. He is well liked by his neighbors, and is highl\' es-
teemed b}' all who know him.

GuNDERSON, GuNDER, is a native of Norway, and was born in
1843. In 1869 he emigrated to the United States, and lived in Illinois
and Iowa until in 1879, when he removed to Dakota, coming, like so
many other early settlers, by ox-team. He located in this county,
securing as a homestead the southeast quarter of section 22 in Taopi,
and engag-ed in farming.

Hatland, Jacob, is a native of Norway, and was born March 6^
1866. He emigrated to Dakota, and located in this county in 1887,
where he has since resided. He bought the northeast quarter of
section 20 in Taopi, and is engaged in farming. He has a good farm,
and is a good citizen.

HuNTEMER, Charles B., was born in Potosi, Grant county,
Wisconsin, December 29, 1853. He came to this county in 1878, and
settled in Taopi on the southwest quarter of section 2, where he
still resides. At that time he had S500 in money and a pair of
old horses, harness and wagon. He is now the owner of a large
farm of about 1,000 acres. He is a g-ood farmer and has made the
most of his opportunities. His residence and other farm build-
ings are among- the best in the county, and their arrang-ement and
completeness for farm purposes is admirable. He keeps a large
stockof cattle, horses and hogs. Mr. Huntemer clearly demonstrates
what a man can do as a farmer in this county, provided he is indus-
trious and attentive to business. He is a good neighbor and a re-
spected citizen.



1076 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



HuNTEMER, George Valentine, was born at Potosi, Grant
county, Wisconsin, July 10, 1859. He has been eng"io-ed in farming-
in Taopi for several ^-ears, and is one of the brothers whose names
appear on nearly all the northern tier of sections in Taopi township.
He has a good farm of 320 acres, and is a good citizen.

Huntemer, Prank J., was born at Potosi, Grant county, Wis-
consin, August 31, 18()7. He has lived in this county for many years
enga§"ed in extensive farming, and is the owner of about 600 acres of
good farm land in Taopi. He is one of the active and enterprising
citizens of that township.

Huntemer, Joseph, was born at Potosi, Grant county, Wis-
consin, September 20, 1869. He came to this county and settled in
Taopi where he engaged in farming until the fall of 1896, when he
sold out and removed to Wisconsin. He was an enterprising young
man, and his departure was regretted by his neighbors.

JoRGENSON, Peter, was born in Norway, March 29, 1831. He
emigrated to this country and lived in Iowa until 1878, when he re-
moved to Dakota. On the 19th day of May, 1879, he came to this
countv and took up as a homestead the southwest quarter of section
17 in Taopi, upon which he resides, and a tree claim on the south-
east quarter of the same section, making- in all a very line farm, with
substantial buildings and other improvements.

KiLBURN, E., was born in Canada, May 1, 1825. He came to the
United States in 1846, and lived in Wisconsin and New Hampshire
until he settled in this county in 1878. He took up a homestead on
the northeast quarter of section 31 in Taopi, where he has since re-
sided and has a good farm. He has always been prominent in town
affairs; has held the office of justice of the peace several terms, and
supervisor and chairman of the town board; and is a well liked and
highly respected citizen.

Kline, Adolph, came to this country from Germany, where he
was born in 1847. He came to Dakota in 1878, after having lived in
Wisconsin and Iowa for some time. He filed a tree claim and a pre-
emption upon the east half of section 30 in Taopi, and engaged in
farming.

Larson, Elias, is a native of Norway, and was born January 11,
1856. He emigrated to this country in 1872, and lived in Iowa for six
years, then removed to Minnehaha county and settled on his present
farm, the northeast quarter of section 25, in Taopi, where he has
since resided. He is an active and well-known citizen, and has held
the office of assessor.

Larson, Tom, was born in the province of Bergen, Norway,
February 15, 1862. When he first came to this country he located in
Iowa and lived there until the spring of 1878, when he moved to Dakota.
He owns and resides upon the southwest quarter of section 15, and
on April 3, 1885, he filed a tree claim upon the southwest quarter of
section 26, in Taopi. He is an industrious farmer and a good citi-
zen, and has been assessor for three vears.




W. (). COLTON.



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 1079



Olson, Ole, was born in Sweden August 4, 1S44, .uid w.is
reared on his father's farm. In 1871, he enii<4rated to the l' nilrd
Stales, worked on a farm in Wisconsin for awhile, three vears in a
])iner\- in Michijj-an, three years on a farm near T>incoln, Nel)., and
six months in a o-old mine in the Black Hills, after which he houoht a
farm in Wahoo precinct, Saunders county, Nebraska, and lived there
about seven years. He removed to this county in the s])rin<i- of IScSS.
and boutJ-ht the southwest quarter of section 1, in Taopi, where hv
still resides with his famil}', consistino- of wife, three g-irls and three
boys. His farm is well improved with o-ood buildin<*-s, seven acres of
trees, and orchard. He is a g-ood farmer and a o-ood citi/on.

Reed, James ()., a son of Orville H. Reed, was born in Water-
town, New York, May 9, 1852. He came to this county in 1880, and
settled in Taopi, taking- up a homestead and a tree claim in section
31, and has since that time resided there. He has held various town
offices, and was nominated for«the leg-islature in 1802, but his partv
was in the minority, and he did not secure the election. He is an ac-
tive citizen, and stands well with his neig'hbors and acquaintances.

Reed, Orvillp: H., was born in Watertown, Jefferson conntv,
New York, December 13, 1828, and was educated in the common
schools. He was at one time eng-ag-ed in the oil business in Pennsvl-
vania, and afterwards lived seven years in Wisconsin. In 1880, he
came to this county and settled in Taopi, taking- up the southwest
quarter of section 20 as a homestead, where he has since resided.
He followed the trade of carpenter and joiner for twenty-five years.
While residing- in New York he held town offices. He is a g-ood
neig-hbor, and a respected citizen.

Stondahl, C. Knutson, was born in Minnesota, April 25, 1857,
and came to this county in 1878. He had no property when he first
came here, but took up 160 acres of land in the northwest quarter of
section 18, in Taopi, as a homestead. Bv industr\' and economy, he
soon had quite a g-ood farm, althoug-h the hail storms destroyed his
crops three times. He has been school treasurer, and also constable
of Taopi, and is a g-ood citizen.

Thompson, Austin, is a native of Iowa, and was born Jidy 1,
1857. He came to this county on the 10th day of Augfust, 1878, and
secured a homestead on the southeast quarter of section 23 in Tao])i,
where he has since resided, and has a gfood farm. He was one of the
supervisors of the town board in 1805, is an industrious fannor and
a g-ood citizen.

Thompson, Charles, was bom in Norway, October 22, 1853.
He emig-rated to the United States and resided in Howard county,
Iowa, for some time, but removed to this county in 1878, and settled
on his x^resent farm, comprising'- 160 acres in sections 25 and 26 in
Taopi, which is now a well improved farm. He was one of the super-
visors of the town board in 1806 and 1807, and is an enter])rising;,
g-ood citizen.

ToPHAM, Thomas H., is a native of Eng-land, and was born
March 18, 1851. He emig-rated to the United States in 1880, lived a



1080 HISTORY OP MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



few months in New York, then resided in Connecticut until he re-
moved to Dakota. He arrived in this county March 20, 1892, resided
in Grand Meadow a short time, and is now en^ag-ed in farming- in
section 31 in Taopi, He was one of the g-rand jurors at the Novem-
ber term of Minnehaha county circuit court in 1894, and during his
short residence in the county has established a g-ood reputation as a
citizen.

WiLLARD, Levi Laroy, is a native of Vermont, and was born in
1846. He lived a few years in Iowa and Wisconsin, and removed to
this county in 1879. He took up a homestead and tree claim in sec-
tions 27 and 31, and eng-ages in general farming, raising grain,
horses, cattle, sheep and hogs. In 1896 he was nominated on the
Republican ticket to the house of representatives of the South Dakota
legislature, but his party was in the minority that year, and conse-
quently he was not elected. Mr. Willard is a good neighbor and cit-
izen, and is one of those men whom evervbody likes.




J. B. (rODDARD.



BUFFALO TO WN8 1 1 1 T.

(104-52 J

Buifak) is the northwest township in the county and contains, ac-
cording- to the g-overnment survey, 19,355.53 acres of land. In Au-
gust, 1859, the township lines were surveyed bv W. J. Neelev, and
the subdivision was made by H. T. Austin in June, 1867. This sur-
vey shows that Buffalo lake in sections 2 and 10 covered 440 acres of
land at that time, Diamond Lake 282 acres, a portion of Clear Lake
12() acres in section 36, and another lake, part of which is in McCook
countv, covered 191 acres in sections 19 and 30. There were some
small streams tributar}- to these lakes, and one of the branches of
Skunk creek had its source at the northeast corner of section 30. If
a survey should be made of these lakes and water courses at the
present time they would not make so good a showing" upon a map of
the township.

Alexander Irvine settled on the northeast quarter of section 27
in May, 1877. H. J. Dallen, Sever O. Henjum, B. E. Nelson, and
Freeman O. Nichols came in 1878, and several prominent, well-to-do
farmers residing in this township at the present time settled there
in 1879.

The first school house in Burk was located on the northeast cor-
ner of section 9. It was cov^ered with one thickness of boards, and
warmed by a sheet-iron stove. The fuel used was hay, and the
scholars twisted it ready for use during the recesses and at noon.
The teacher was Mary E. Brenner, who taught the school for three
months, at S18 per month.

During' the last ten vears sonie tine farm buildings ha\t' \)vrn
erected, and taking- the township as a whole the evidence of ])ros-
perity is not wanting. There is not a post office in the township,
and the residents receive their mail at Taopi and Montrose. The
nearest railroad station is Montrose on the Chicago, St. Paul, Minne-
apolis and Omaha railway.

Seventh Day Advent Church.- The church of the Seventh
Dav Advent was erected in 1889, on the southeast quarter of the
southeast quarter of section 26 in Buffalo, and was paid for by sub-
scription. It is principally open for the Seventh Day Adventists.
who keep their Sabbath on Saturday, but Protestants of all denomi-
nations are welcome to worship in the church.

St. Jacob's Norwegian Evangelical Lither.vx C<»N(;RE(i.\-
TION. — This church organization was perfected in 1884 by the Rev.
O. O. Sando, who remained its pastor until he was succeeded by the



1084 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Rev. M. Shirley. The present pastor is the Rev. M. Swaren, and
the cong-reg-ation consists of ninety members of which forty-seven
are communicants. It is connected with the Norwegfian Evang-elical
Lutheran Synod of America. In 1887, this society built a church on
the southeast corner of section 15. It is a fine church building-,
twenty-eig-ht by forty feet and has a steeple eig-hty-one feet in
heig-ht which can be seen for several miles in all directions.

BUFFALO TOWNSHIP BOARD.

The first meeting of the township board was held at the resi-
dence of S. O. Henjum January 14, 1881. At this meeting- S. O.
Henjum was chosen chairman; the other members of the board were
Jacob Stevens and J. Nebberg-all; H. J. Dallen was assessor, B. C.
Baarson clerk, C. Bode treasurer, William Egg-ert, L. W. Granger
justices, H. Stevens constable. The first warrant issued was in
fa\or of H. J. Dallen for services as assessor in the sum of S18.

1882. Supervisors, S. O. Henjum chairman, Edgar Kilburn,
James Nebbergall; clerk, John Archer; treasurer, Carl Bode; as-
sessor, Matthew Owens; constable, A. Greg-ory; pound master, A.
J. Anderson. June 28, Carl Bode tendered his resig-nation as treas-
urer, which was accepted, and H. J. Dallen was appointed to fill the
vacancy.

1883. Supervisors, S. O. Henjum chairman, Edgar Kilburn,
B. E. Nelson; clerk, John Archer; treasurer, H. J. Dallen; justices,
L. W. Granger, W. Rodway; constables, E. A. Packard, Jacol)
Stevens.

1884. Supervisors, P. J. Burnett chairman, H. J. Dallen, B. E.
Nelson; clerk, John Archer; treasurer, John Arneson; assessor, S.
O. Henjum; justices, Henry Guth, L. W. Grang-er; constables, S. J.
Holland, John Hand.

1885. Supervisors, S. O. Henjum chairman, Edgar Kilburn,
James Nebbergall; clerk, F. J. Burnett; assessor and justice, L. W.
Granger; constable, John Hand. May 12, the board appointed Wm.
Eggert constable, John Hand having removed from the township.

1886. Supervisors, S. O. Henjum chairman, Edgar Kilburn, E.
A. Packard; clerk, John Archer; treasurer, D. W. Kennison; as-
sessor, P. J. Burnett; justices, L. W. Granger, Henrv Guth; con-
stables, William Eggert, S. J. Holland.

1887. Supervisors, L. W. Granger chairman, E. A. Packard,
H. J. Dallen; clerk, John Archer; treasurer, D. W. Kennison; as-
sessor, Matthew Owens; justice, James Nebbergall; constable, J. N.
Hartrauft.

1888. Supervisors, F. J. Burnett chairman, B. E. Nelson,
John Hart; clerk, Matthew Owens; treasurer, H. J. Dallen; assessor,
John Arneson. February 26, 1889, a petition for the resurvey of
the township was received, asking that the question be submitted to
a vote at the next annual election.

1889. Supervisors, F. J. Burnett chairman, John Hart, B. E.
Nelson; clerk, M. Owens; assessor, John Arneson; treasurer, H. J.
Dallen. In May, after having canvassed the votes for delegates to
the constitutional convention, the question arose who should deliver



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 1085



the election returns at Sioux Falls, and no member of the hoard was
willinjj- to do so. It was then voted that S2.50 should be paid in ad-
dition to the fees to the person performino- the service, still no oiu-
beino- willing- the supervisors and the clerk drew lots in order to de-
cide the question. The lot fell on the clerk, who remarks in tlie
record "that he being- out of money as usual" made a bill in advance,
which was allowed. October 1, Sivert Olson was appointed cod-
stable.

1890. Supervisors, S. O. Henjum chairman, F. J. Burnett, L.
W. Grang-er; clerk and justice, Matthew Owens; assessor, John
Arneson; treasurer, H. J. Dallen; constables, B. E. Nelson, S. S.
Olson. April 21, F. J. Burnett resig-ned as supervisor and (i. \\
Huntemer was appointed to fill the vacancy.

1891. Supervisors, L. W. Cxrang-er chairman, (i. \\ Huntemer,
D. W. Kennison; clerk, John Archer; assessor. John Arneson;
treasurer, H. J. Dallen; justice, A. J. Rrikson. It was xoted to hold
all town meeting's in the school house in district No. ')S. Twent\-
live votes were cast.

1892. Supervisors, B. E. Nelson chairman, O. V. Huntemer,
John B. Johnson; clerk, S. O. Henjum; treasurer, H. J. Dallen; as-
sessor, John Archer; justice, C. H. Radspinner; constables, Peter
A. Nerdahl, E. J. Archer.

1893. Supervisors, B. E. Nelson chairman, John B. Johnson,
Jacob Stevens; clerk, S. O. Henjum; treasurer, H. J. Dallen; con-
stable, Albert Arneson; assessor, John Archer.

1894. Supervisors, Hans Johnson chairman, J. 1>. Johnson,
(xeorge Ing*alls; clerk, T. J. Burnett; treasurer, John Arneson; ((leo.
Hill was elected but did not qualify); assessor, P. O. Nichols.

1895. Supervisors, John B. Johnson, Geo. W. Ing-alls, H. J.
Dallen; clerk, F. J. Burnett; treasurer, John Arneson.

1896. Supervisors, John Arneson chairman, S. M. Riveness,
Alex. Irvine; clerk, P. J. Burnett; treasurer, J. B. Johnson; as-
sessor, F. O. Nichols.

1897. Supervisors, John Arneson chairman. W. C Archer. H.
J. Dallen; clerk, F. J. Burnett; treasurer, John B. Johnson; as-
sessor, J. J. Ordal.

1898. Supervisors, B. E. Nelson chairman, H. J. Dallen, W.
C. Archer; clerk, F. J. Burnett; treasurer, John B. Johnson; as-
sessor, Joseph J. Ordal.

1899. Supervisors, B. E. Nelson, A. E. Packard, John Arne-
son; clerk, F. J. Burnett; treasurer, John B. Johnson; assessor,
Joseph J. Ordal.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

Archer, John, is a native of Ohio, and was born February (>,
1831. He removed to Illinois, then to Iowa, and came from there to
Dakota, May 1, 1881. He secured a homestead on the southwest
quarter of section 13 in Buffalo, where he still resides. He has been
clerk of the town board for about seven years, and school district
clerk eig-ht years. He has a well improved farm, with substantial
building's and a large number of horses and cattle.



1086 HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY.



Archer, Ernest J., was born in Kane county, Illinois, Febru-
ary 16, 1859. He removed with his father to Iowa, and came to Da-
kota, May 1, 1881, taking- up a homestead adjoining- his father's, on
the northeast quarter of section 24. He also owns the east half of
the northwest quarter and the east half of the southwest quarter of
the same section, and has a g-ood farm.

Arneson, John, has resided in Buffalo since April, 1881. He
made a pre-emption filing- upon the northwest quarter of section 15,
but changed it to a homestead and now resides there. He also has a
tree claim upon the southwest quarter of section 15. He has been
assessor, treasurer, and chairman of the town board, and has held
school district offices several years. He was born in Norway, March
11, 1849; emig-rated to the United States and resided for awhile in
Iowa and three years in Minnesota before coming- to this county
in 1881. •

Burnett, P. J., was born at Jordan, Onondag-a county, New
York, March 1, 1841. Before coming- to Dakota he lived in Ohio,
Wisconsin, Michig-an and Iowa. On the 23d day of April, 1861, he
enlisted in Co. H, Second Reg-iment Wis. Vol. Inf., and served until
August 16 of that year. On the 24th day of January, 1864, he en-
listed in Battery D, First Michig-an Ligfht Artillery, and served until
Aug-ust 3, 1865.' On the 2d day of May, 1878, he arrived in this
county and took up 320 acres of land in Taopi township, also the
southwest quarter of section 3 in Buffalo township, which he now
owns, and upon which he resides. He was chairman of the town
board in 1884-8-9, town clerk and enumerator of census in 1885, asses-
sor in 1886, supervisor in 1890, and guard at the penitentiary from
April 9, 1890, to March 21, 1893, since which time he has resided on
his farm. He was elected town clerk in 1894, and by re-elections has
held the office since then. Mr. Burnett is a good neighbor, and an
upright, respected citizen.

Dallen, H. J., was born in Dane county, Wisconsin, November
16, 1856. resided for awhile in Iowa and removed to this county in
May, 1878. He made a homestead entry on the southwest quarter of
section 21, in Buffalo, where he now resides. He has held the office
of town treasurer six years, and has also been town assessor and
supervisor of the town board.

GuTH, Henry, was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in March,
1854, and was educated in the common schools. He resided in Wis-
consin until he removed to Dakota in May, 1879, at which time he lo-
cated in Buffalo, taking up as a homestead the southwest quarter of
section 4, where he has since resided. He also pre-empted 160 acres
and secured a tree claim in the adjoining- county. He is a good
farmer and a good citizen. In relating his early experiences as a
pioneer he said: "I did not have any veg-etables for a year and a half,
and I had such a yearning for anything- in that line that I ate green
oats and other grain with the greatest relish. Pioneers are slaves
for those who come after them."

HOLDEN, Oscar L., was born in Vermont May 21, 1853, He re-
sided in Iowa six years, and removed to Dakota in August, 1882, and



HISTORY OF MINNEHAHA COUNTY. 1087



settled in Minnehaha county. He bi)u,o-ht the northwest c|uarter of
section 13, in Biiifalo, where he eng-ajjfed in farming-, besides working-
at his trade of carpenter. He resided on his farm until his death,
which occurred June 4, 18*^)7. He was a g-ood citi/.en.

Hill, GEORciE H., was born in Essex county, New York, in 1S37.
He removed with his parents to Winneshiek county, Iowa, in 1S()(),
and remained there until January, 1876, when they located in this
county, his father, Hiram N. Hill, securing- about 2()<' acres in sec-
tion 20, in Benton townshi]). The subject of this sketch niowd on to
his present farm, comprising* the north half of the northeast quarter
of section 22, and the southwest quarter and the south half of the
southeast quarter of section 15, in Buffalo township, in 1879, and has
resided there ever since. He was elected justice of the peace in
1894.

Holland, Severt J., is a native of Norway, and was born May
21, 1858. He emigfrated to the United States in 1870, and lived in
Iowa until he came to Dakota in 1880. He took up as a homestead the
east half of the southeast quarter of section 29, and as a tree claim



Online LibraryDana Reed BaileyHistory of Minnehaha county, South Dakota. Containing an account of its settlements, growth, development and resources ... Synopsis of public records, biographical sketches .. → online text (page 97 of 99)