Daniel Hazeltine Post.

Medical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1895) online

. (page 37 of 43)
Online LibraryDaniel Hazeltine PostMedical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1895) → online text (page 37 of 43)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Receives patients suffering from acute and chronic insanity; is
strictly private. Price $15 to $50 per week. O. J. Wilsey, Medi-
cal Superintendent.

Long Island Throat and Lung Hospital and Dispensary

(1889), 55 Willoughby st. D. M. WooUey, M.D., Surgeon-in-
Chief.

Methodist Episcopal Hospital of Brooklyn, cor. Sixth st.
and Seventh av. Rev. J. S. Breckenridge, Superintendent.

Sanford Hall, Flushing, L. I., 6 miles from New York City.
The oldest private asylum in the State. Established by the late
Dr. James Macdonald in 1841. Recently enlarged and refitted
throughout, affording increased accommodation and comfort for
patients, without advance in rates for care and treatment. Ap-
plication for admission of patients may be made at office in New
York City, 128 Lexington av., Tuesday and Saturday, 10 to 12
o'clock, or at the institution in Flushing. J. W. Barstow, Resi-
dent Physician.

St, Catherine's Hospital, Bushwick av., bet. Ten Eyck and
Maujer sts., Brooklyn, E. D. In charge of Sisters of St. Domi-
nic. Open to all, irrespective of color or religion. $1 per quar-
ter insures membership and, in case of sickness, admission to
Hospital.

St. John's Hospital, Atlantic av., cor. Albany av., Brooklyn
(1871). Under the charge of a corps of deaconesses of the Church
Charity Foundation. Capacity, 85 beds. Board, $7 per week.
Children, |4 per week. Private rooms, $15 to $40 per week.
Free ward for those who cannot pay.

St. John's Hospital, Long Island City (1891). Under the
management of Sisters of St. Joseph, of Flushing.

St. Mary's Hospital, St. Mark's and Buffalo avs., Brooklyn.



340 HOSPITALS.

A hospital of specialties. Under the charge of the Sisters of
Charity (1882).

St. M.ary's Maternity and Infants' Home (formerly St.
Mary's Female Hospital), 151 to 155 Dean St., Brooklyn. Under
the charge of the Sisters of Charity. Affords medical and surgi-
cal treatment for diseases of women and children. Patients of
all religious denominations received. There is in connection
with this institution a maternity hospital and children's depart-
ment. There is also a general dispensary where clinics are con-
ducted from 2 to 5 p.m. daily.

St. Peter's Hospital, Henry st., bet. Congress and Warren
sts , Brooklyn (1864). In charge of the Sisters of the Poor of St.
Francis (R. C). Cares gratuitously for the sick and disabled of
both sexes. Has accommodations for 300 patients.

United States Naval Hospital, Flushing av., near Grand av.,
Brooklyn. A. L. Gihon, U.S.N., Medical Director-in-Charge.



Telephone Call, Calls responded to at any

1406 — 38/^ St. Hour, Day or Night,

K. KREINBERG'S

PHSE aj^ AGEfiGY,

904 SIXTH AVENUE, Ne ar 51st St.

My Staff of Trained Nurses Represents Graduates

from the Different Training Schools

in the States.



Wet-Nurses furnished between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.

This department is under the direction of a

competent female attendant.

ARTHUR KREINBERC,

Massage Operator,
Cupper and Leeoher, 904 SIXTH AVENUE.



341



UNIVERSITY OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK

AMERICAN Veterinary College.

IJJ9 and 141 West 54tli Street, Xew York.

Organized 1875 under the General Laws of the State of New York.

Reorganized and Reincorporated 1888 by Special Act of the

Legislature of the State of Neio York.

AlyBXANDER F. I^IAUTARD, M.D., V.M., Professor of Anatomy, Surgery,

and Sanitary Medicine.
JAMES 1,. ROBERTSON, M D.. VS, Professor of Theory and Practice

of Medicine and Clinical Medicine.
CHARI^ES A. DOREMUS, M.D., Emeritus Prof essor of Chemistry.
ROSCOE R BEIvIy. D.V.S . Professor of Materia Medica and Therapeutics.
J. E. RYDER, D.V.S. , Professor of Canine Pathology and Obstetrics.
WIIyLIAM J COATES, M.D., D.V.S,, Professor of Operative Surgery and

Physical Diagnosis.
L. H. FRIEDBURGH, Ph D., Professor of Chemistry and Toxicology.
J. B. STEIN. M.D , Professor of Physiology.

JOHN A IvElGHTON, D.V.S , Professor of Equine Orthopaedic Surgery.
W. S. GOTTHEII/, M.D., Professor of Surgical Pathology and Practical

Microscopy.
H. H. RUSBY, Professor of Botany.
J. HUMvSEN, Jr., D.V.S., Lecturer on Sanitary Medicine and Meat

Inspection.
H. BUCKLEY, D.V.S., Lecturer on Anatomy.
H. D. HANSON, D.V.S., Lecturer on Canine Patholog5%
W. V. BIESER, D.V S.. Demonstrator of Anatomy.
G. E. VAN MATER, M.D., D.V.S., Lecturer on Ophthalmology.

This College is now in the twenty-first year of its existence.

The system of instruction embraces a thorough Didactic and Clinical
Course of three years' attendance. The American Veterinary Hospital,
which is a branch of the College, has treated since its opening over 50,000
cases. It is utilized for the clinical instruction of matriculates, and affords
unrivalled facilities.

The regular term opens in the beginning of October, and closes at end
of March For further information or catalogue, address A. LIAUTARD,
M.D., V.M., Dean of the Faculty, 139 and 141 West 54th Street.

REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATION.

CHAPTER 443. LAWS OF 1888.

Section 5 The said trustees and their successors shall have the power
to confer the degree of Doctor of Veterinary Surgery and issue veterinary
diplomas to only such students as shall have attained the age of twenty-
one years, shall be of good moral character, shall have received a good
English education, and pursued at least a full three years' course of medi-
cal and veterinary study after the age of eighteen years, including attend-
ance upon three regular sessions of medical and veterinary lectures in a
regularly incorporated veterinary college or veterinary or medical depart-
ment of a college or university, the last of which sessions of stu^y shall
have been at said American Veterinary College, and shall have passed^ the
examination prescribed by the rules and regulations of the American
Veterinary College.

Graduates of incorporated medical colleges and graduates of veterinary-
medicine will be required to attend one regular session of lectures in this
College.

Graduates of agricultural colleges will have an allowance made them
for such branches as they may have attended on subjects embraced -n the
curriculum of this College (viz. the fees of such lectures), provided they
can pass a satisfactory examination on said branches immediately after
matriculating. The same privileges are granted to regular graduates of
colleges of pharmacy.



342



ASSOCIATION MALE NURSES,




NOORRCDRATED.



TELEPHONE CALL, ■■^■■H headquarters:

420 w. H^H MEYER BROS. PHARMACY.



1210 THIRD AVENUE, Cor. 70tli St., NEW YORE.

All our members are known to leading Physicians
and Surgeons of this City as well trai7ted in all
branches of Nursing^ and are also registered at the
principal Hospitals of the City.

Calls by Telephone or Wire from City or Country
will receive prompt attention.



The flssoeiated Physicians and Surgeons,

501 FIFTH AVENUE, Corner 42(i Street.

(COLUMBIA BANK BUILDING.)

Is a corporation (under Medical Direction) which has every

facility for doing any and all clerical and financial

work connected with a physician's business.

A representative will call at your

office when requested.

N. B.— Board of Health, Lunacy Commission, and all other blanks
always on hand.



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS, AND HOMES. 343



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS, AND

HOMES.

NEW YORK CITY.*

Ag-uilar Aid Society. Provides the uptown Hebrew poor
with necessary supplies, fuel, food, and clothing. Supported by
voluntary contributions.

Almshouse, Blackwell's Island. For infirm adult persons en-
tirely destitute. There is one for each sex. Apply to Superin-
tendent of Outdoor Poor, northwest corner 11th st. and Third
avenue.

Almshouse Hospital. A department of the above, for sick
inmates of the Almshouse only. Also, Hospital for Incurables.

Association for Befriending Cliildren and Tonu^ Girls

(incorporated 1870), 138 to 188 Second ave. To rescue the chil-
dren and daughters of dissolute parents in the city of New York
from evil influences by providing homes where the most necessi-
tous and exposed may be cared for, and by gathering them daily
for religious and secular instruction. Supported by voluntary
contributions, labor, and public-school fund. Maintains the

House op the Holy Family, where children from three years
and over are received, instructed, and placed in homes, and young
girls voluntarily committing themselves for reformation, for not
less than six months, receive religious, secular, and industrial in-
struction. These two classes are kept separate and no charge
made for either. Accommodates 150. In charge of the Sisters
of Divine Compassion. Visiting days, every day except Sunday.
Apply daily at the House.

Association for the Benefit of Colore 1 Orphans (1837) 143d
St. and Amsterdam ave. Receives both sexes between the ages
of two and ten years, and provides for them gratuitously, ex-
cept those entrusted to the institution by a parent or guardian,
who must pay 75 cents per week, with the privilege of with-
drawing them at the age of twelve. Full orphans are indentured
into families or trades at the same age. Accommodation for 300
Apply at the Asylum.

Association for tlie Relief of Respectable Aged Indigent

*For further particulars regarding these Institutions, please see Directory
of the Charity Organization Society, to the editor of which we are indebted
for valuable information. — Editor.



344 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS, AND HOMES.

Females (1814), 104th st. and Amsterdam ave. Maintains a
home for gentlewomen of the class indicated in the title. Appli-
cants must be sixty years old or over, and have satisfactory testi-
monials as to character and conduct. Those admitted pay $200
entrance fee and make over to the Association all their real and
personal property. None received who have lived as servants.
Apply to the Committee for Receiving Applications, on or be-
fore the third Thursday of each month, through the Resident
Matron.

Asylum for Indigent Blind (Pub. Char, and Cor.), Black-
well's Island. A department of the Almshouse, two wards each
in the male and female divisions being assigned to the class
named Apply to Superintendent of Outdoor Poor, northwest
corner 11th st. and Third ave.

Asylum of St. Yincent de Paul (1858), 215 W. 39th st. For

reception and education of destitute orphans and half-orphans
and destitute children of both sexes, preferably of French birth
or parentage. Accommodates about 250. Apply at the asylum
to the Mother Superior.

Asylum and Industrial School of the Sisters of St. Domi-
nic (1877). Convent, 137 2d st. Asylum at Blauveltville, Rock-
land Co., N. Y. For destitute children. Accommodates 250.
Apply at the convent as above.

Babies' Shelter, 118 W. 21st st.; office, 328 Sixth ave. Re-
ceives children from one to six j'ears of age. Under care of
Church of the Holy Communion (P. E).

Baptist Home for Aged and Infirm Persons, 68th st., bet.
Park and Lexington aves. Provides aged, infirm, or destitute
members of Baptist churches with board, clothing, medical at-
tendance, and religious privileges. At their death a respectable
burial is given. Applicants must have been members in good
standing of a Baptist church in New York City for the preceding
five years and be recommended by the church to which they be-
long. An entrance fee of |100 is required, save in exceptional
cases, and a transfer of all property to the Home. Capacity for
89 inmates. No colored persons received. Apply to any Mana-
ger or to the Committee on Admissions. Supported by voluntary
contributions, entrance fees, etc.

Bethany Institute for Woman's Christian Work, 105 E.

17th St. Provides instruction for women who desire to enter
upon Christian work, either as missionaries, Bible-readers, or
nurses. Lectures by clergymen and physicians.

Bloomingdale Asylum for the Insane (1771), White Plains,
N. Y. For curative treatment of the insane. Receives only
patients able to pay. Terms, $5 to $40 a week for board



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS, AND HOMES. 34.>

and treatment. Accommodates about 250. Apply to the Asylum
Committee at 8 W. 16th st.

Cliapin Home for the Aged and Inflrm (1869), 151 E. 66tb
St. For respectable aged and infirm men and women in reduced
circumstances. Applicants must be not less than sixty -five years
of age. An admission fee of $300 required and |5 physician's
examination fee, and must surrender their property. Accommo-
dates about 50. Persons occasionally received as boarders at |5-
per week. Apply to the Committee on Applications, through
the Matron, before second Wednesday in any month.

Charity Organization Society of the City of New Tork^

OflScea in United Charities Building, ll5 E. 2Sid st. Organized
1882. Objects : To be a centre of intercommunication between
the various churches and charitable agencies in this city. To
foster harmonious co-operation between them, and to check the-
evils of the overlapping of relief. To investigate thoroughly and
without charge the cases of all applicants for relief which are
referred to the Society for inquiry, and to send the persons
having a legitimate interest in such cases full reports of tho
results of investigation. To provide visitors who shall personally
attend cases needing counsel and advice. To obtain from the
proper charities and charitable individuals suitable and adequate
relief for deserving cases. To procure work for poor persons
who are capable of being wholly or partially self-supporting. To
repress mendicity by the above means and by the prosecution of
impostors. To i3romote the general welfare of the poor by social
and sanitary reforms, and by the inculcation of habits of provi-
dence and self-dependence. It is not an almsgiving society, and
its work is completely severed from all questions of religion,
politics, and nationality. It is a clearing house of registration
and experience for all the charitable activities of the metropolis.
It has already instituted its system of exchange of information
between its constituent societies (which includes all which will
avail themselves of its services), and returns are received from the
Department of Public Charities and Correction, sixty-four of the
leading relief societies, fifty-five prominent institutions, and two
hundred and three church societies, while other societies are-
being frequently added. It has records of 175,000 families who
have applied for relief during the last ten years. The Society has-
now on active duty, in its district work, in personal service for
the poor, 25 paid agents, 175 members of district committees, and
about 50 friendly visitors.

Children's Aid Society (1855), 105 E. 22d st. For the eleva-
tion of the poor, by gathering children who attend no schools
into the industrial schools, caring and providing for homeless chil-
dren in lodging houses, and in procuring homes for them in the



346 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS, AND HOMES.

rural districts and at the West. Supports twenty-one indus-
trial schools, thirteen night schools, seven lodging houses, free
readiug rooms, workshops, and summer homes. West-Side
Lodging House, 231 W. did st.

Children's Fold (1837), Boulevard and 93d st. Receives
homeless children, especially those recommended by the clergy
of the Protestant Episcopal Church. Apply to any Protestant
Episcopal clergyman, or at the home.

Deborah Nursery and Child's Protectory (1878), 95 and 103

East Broadway. Receives, cares for, and educates poor and
destitute Hebrew children between the ages of two and fourteen
years, regularly committed by -the legal authorities ; also such
other children as aforesaid as the Society may deem prudent to
take charge of. Apply at 95 East Broadway."

Five Poiats House of Industry (1854), 155 Worth st.
Devoted mainly to the preservation of children from suffering
:and crime. Furnishes a home, support, and instruction for
neglected and abandoned children. Also boards children of poor
parents at a nominal rate. Has also day scholars, who are both
fed and taught. Temporarily relieves urgent adult cases, living
in the vicinity, in their homes. Apply to the Superintendent, as
above, at all hours of the day.

Five Points Mission (1856), 61 Park st. Supports mission-
-aries to labor among the poor, especially in the " Five Points";
provides food, clothing, and necessaries for them ; educates poor
■children and provides for their comfort ; maintains a school ; and
performs kindred acts of charity and benevolence.

Florence Crittenton Home (1893), 140 E. 14th st. To assist
respectable girls and women while working or seeking employ-
ment. Maintains a comfortable boarding house at moderate
rates. Capacity for 20. Apply at the Home.

Florence Night Mission (1883), 29 Bleecker st. For the
rescue and reformation of fallen women by means of social,
religious meetings held late at night, by tract distribution, and
by personal influence with those gathered into the meetings.
Apply at the Mission at any hour of the day or evening.

Free Home for Destitute Girls (1870). 23 E. 11th st. Affords
:gratuitou3 shelter to indigent and destitute females ; provides a
temporary home for poor and friendless girls, from thirteen to
twenty -five years old, who are exposed to the temptations of the
•city, and after instruction provides them with positions in Chris-
iian families. Apply at the Home.



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS, AND HOMES. 347

Friends' Employment Society (1862). Meeting house on
Rutherford pi. (from 224 E. 16th st. to E. 15th st.) Fridays,
relief to the poor by employment in sewing. Apply as above.

Guilds of Trinity Parisli, 54 New Church st. For the poor.

Hebrew Benevolent and Orphan Asylum Society (1862),
Amsterdam ( ' enth) ave. and 136th st. Is a constituent of the
United Hebrew Charities. Maintains an asylum for the support,
education, and industrial training of Hebrew orphans and half-
orphans of both sexes. Capacity, 560. Supported by voluntary
contributions and city funds.

Hebrew Free Burial Society, 128 Second ave. Applica-
tions, with physician's certificate, must be made from 7 to 8 a.m.
and 5 to 7 p.m.

Hebrew Infant Asylum (1895), 490 Mott ave. For the care
of orphan children under five years of the Hebrew faith. Apply
at the Home.

Hebrew Sheltering Guardian Society (1879), Eleventh ave.
and 151st St. For the care of poor and neglected Jewish children
from two to fifteen years of age.

■ Helping Hand Association (1870), 420 W. 54th st. Destitute
women are provided with employment and aided toward self-
support. Apply every Friday, from October to May, from
2 to P.M.

Home for Aged and Infirm Deaf Mutes, near Poughkeepsie
(1872). Office, 9 W. 18th st. Receives those unable, by disease
or old age, to support themselves. National in its character.

Home for Aged and Infirm Hebrews (1872), 105th st., west
of Columbus ave. For aged and infirm Hebrews of both sexes.
Also gives some outdoor relief in the way of meals. Applicants
for admission to the Home must be over sixty years of age and
residents of the city for over five years. Accommodates now
about 150. Apply by letter to the Executive Board. Also, fur-
nishes destitute lying-in women with medical attendance, money,
clothing, etc., before and after confinement. For such help ap-
ply to the Physician at the Home.

Home for Incurables (P. E.) (1865), Fordbam, New York
City. For incurables of the better class, without regard to
religious belief. Consumptives received. A special ward for
cancer cases. Accommodations for 180. Ordinary charge, $6
per week. One-third of the beds are free. Apply to the Super-
intendent, on forms to be had on request.

Home lor Old Men and Aged Couples (1872), 487 Hudson st.



348 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS, AND HOMES.

A home for those indicated, in reduced circumstances, having been
members of the Protestant Episcopal Church. Admission fee,
^250. Apply to the Committee on Admissions, through the Rec-
tor of St. Luke's Church, adjoining.

Home for Aged Women (1869), 330 Sixth ave. For members
of the Church of the Holy Communion (P. E.). Under charge of
the Sisters of the Church.

Home for the Aged of the Little Sisters of the Poor (1871),
205 E. 70th St., and 106th st. between Columbus and Amster-
dam aves. For the aged and helpless of both sexes and of every
denomination. Must be over sixty years of age and destitute.
Admission free. Application can be made any day to the Mother
Superior. Accommodates 460.

Home for the Friendless (1849), 33 E. 30th st. Visits and
gives relief in sickness, furnishing nurses to those under the care
of the Society, and obtaining admission to hospitals when de-
sirable. Has an employment bureau to furnish women with sew-
ing to do in their own homes ; also, a widows' fund which pensions
old employes. Supported by voluntary contributions and public
school fund. Apply at Home at any hour of the day. Maintains
the following:

Home School, at 29 E. 29th st., and twelve industrial schools
in various parts of the city, in which children are retained until
admissible to the grammxr department of the public schools.
The chil Iren in these schools are those whose families are too
poor to clothe them properly for the public schools, and who from.
various circumstances must be irregular in their attendance.

Hosi>ital Saturday and Sunday Association of New York
City (1880). To develop and perpetuate the general collection in
the several churches, synagogues, and the community at large of
funds for the hospitals of New York City. Funds are distributed
among the different hospitals of the Association without regard
to sect or creed.

House of Mercy (1855) (P. E.), Inwood. For the reception and
reformation of destitute and fallen women, either voluntarily en-
tering or committed by a magistrate. Under the charge of Sister-
hood of St. Mary. Apply at the House or to any police justice.

House of Refuge (1824), Randall's Island. Under charge of
Society for the Reformation op Juvenile Delinquents.
Secretary's office, 120 Broadway. A reformatory, giving indus-
trial instruction and common school education. Receives, only
upon commitment of police magistrates and courts of law in New
York City and Hudson River counties (first three judicial dis-



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS, AND HOMES. 349

tricts), any child under sixteen years of age complained of and
convicted for being disorderly, vagrant, or criminal.

House of Rest for Consumptives (1869) (P. E.), 1831 Anthony
ave., Tremont, N. Y. A home for the class indicated. Beds
free. Accommodates 40. Applications to be made to Robert
Watts, M.D., 49 W. 36th St., before 10 a.m.

House of the Good Shepherd (1857) (R. C), foot of E. 89tk
and 90th sts. TJnder the charge of Sisters of Our Lady of Char-
ity of the Good Shepherd, For the reformation of inebriate and
fallen women, and the care of those who may be in danger of fall-
ing. Young women from any part of the country received with-
out regard to creed or nationality. Inmates, from 400 to 500.
Apply at any hour at the House.

House of the Holy Comforter, Free Church Home for In-
curables (1879) (P. E.), 355 W. 23d st. For the care of destitute
Protestant women and female children of the better class, suffer-
ing from incurable diseases. Apply at the House at any time.

Howard Mission and Home for Little Wanderers (1864),
204 5th St. For destitute children ; feeds, clothes, educates, and
trains them for lives of usefulness. Helps poor and worthy pa-
rents in their homes, and provides for the sick. Also, gives a
temporary home to homeless children until otherwise provided
for. Has weekly religious meetings for young women, young
men, mothers, and children, and a Sunday-school for children,
every Sunday afternoon. Apply at the Mission.

Industrial Christian Alliance (1891), 113 Macdougal st. To
help men to help themselves by taking them from the streets,
giving them a temporary home and employment, and fitting them
for self-support in the ranks of regular labor.

Institution for the Improved Instruction of Deaf Mutes

(1867), Lexington av. and 67th st. Deaf-mute children, from six
to sixteen, are taught to use articulate sounds. Pupils able to
pay are charged $400 per annum. Others admitted on order of
Commissioners of Charities and Correction or Superintendent of
Public Instruction. Apply to the Principal at the Institution.

Institution of Mercy (1848), 81st st. , between Madison and
Fourth aves. Under the charge of the Sisters of Mercy (R. C).
For the care and protection of destitute young women of good
character, to train them to useful pursuits, and secure employ-



Online LibraryDaniel Hazeltine PostMedical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1895) → online text (page 37 of 43)