Daniel Hazeltine Post.

Medical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1897) online

. (page 43 of 51)
Online LibraryDaniel Hazeltine PostMedical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1897) → online text (page 43 of 51)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


an out-patient department, open daily from 2 to 4 p. m. , for treat,
ment of the poor only. Ambulances are provided day and night
for emergency cases. Hours for visitors, from 2 to 4 P. m., Tues-
days, Fridays and Sundays. The hospital is supported entirely
by charitable contributions.

Atteiiding Physicians.— F . H. Daniels, S. Baruch, G. S. Knickerbocker.
Attending Surgeons.— Ij, W. Hotchkiss, W. G. LeBoutillier, C. T. Parker.
Consulting Physician.— F. G. Janeway. Consisting Surgeon.— Vs". T. Bull.
ConsuUing Gynecologist. -H. C. Coe. Pathologist. -^F. K. Dunham. Superin-
tendent.— L,. Fenn.

Laura Franklin Free Hospital for Cliildreu (1886), 17 and

19 E. 111th St. and Fifth ave. Under charge of the Sisters of
Mary (P. E.), and for sick and injured children whose parents or
friends are unable to pay. The treatment is homoeopathic.



194 HOSPITALS.

Attending Physicians.— M. Deschere, G. W, McDowell, E. H. Porter, J. W.
Dowling, Jr., I. Townsend, J. B. Garrison, W. I. Pierce. Attending Surgeons.
— S. F. Wilcox, W. T. Helmuth, Jr., G. W. Roberts. Consulting Physicians.
— T. F. Allen, J. M. Wetmore. Consulting Surgeons.— W. T. Helmuth, F. E.
Doughty.

Lebanon Hospital (1890), 150th st. and Westchester ave. Ap-
plicants received daily from 10 a. m. to 5 P. M. Board in wards,
$7 per week. Private rooms from §15 to §30 per week. 100
beds. Poor patients free. Outdoor department 2 to 4 daily.

Attending Physician.— A. P. Zemansky. Attending Surgeon.— I* . Syms.
Attending Gynecologist ,—11, Waldo. Opthalmologist. —W . Cowen. Dermato-
logist.— Yf. S. Gotthell. Superintendent.— A. Blum. House Physician.— L
Bowman.

Loomis Hospital for Consumptives (1894), 230 W. 38th st.
For the treatment of consumptives and associated diseases.
Lungs, throat and nose. For the worthy poor.

Attending Physicians.— U. P. Loomis, C. E Quimby. Considting Physi-
cians.— A. A. Smith, H. F. Walker. Consulting Surgeon.— G. McBurney.
Gynecologists.— W . M. Polk, J. Markoe. Pathologist.— W . Coleman. House
Physician.— C. N. Spinney.

Manhattan Eye and Ear Hospital (1869), 103 Park ave.,
corner 41st st. Open daily at 2 p. m. for the gratuitous treat-
ment of diseases of the eye, ear and throat. Also indoor pa-
tients.

Attending Surgeons.— D. B. St. John Roosa, O. D. Pomeroy, D. Webster,
J. B. Emerson, F. N. Lewis. N. J. Hepburn, A. H. Smith, M, J. Asch, O. B.
Douglas, C. H. Knight, W. F. Chappell, J. E. H. Nichols. Pathologists — C.
W. Kinney, E. S. Thomson. H. B. Douglas, J. Wright. Superintendent —
H. W . Hawthorne.

Maternity Hospital (Dept. Pub. Charities), Blackwell's Island,
branch of City Hospital, is for the reception, care and treatment
of indigent women, married or unmarried, during confinement.
Apply to Superintendent of Outdoor Poor, northwest corner 11th
St. and Third ave.

Attending Physicians and Surgeons.-'E. A. Tucker, J. C. Edgar, A. Flint,
Jr., G. W. Jarman.

Metropolitan Hospital (Pub Charities), Blackwell's Island,
late Ward's Island Hospital. For the treatment of the lying-in
and all classes of diseases except contagious cases.

Chief-of-Staff.— Geo. T. Stewart.

Metropolitan Throat Hospital (1874), 351 West 34th st. For
the treatment of diseases of the throat and nose. Accommodates
25 patients. Apply dailj^ from 2 to 4 P. M.

Attending Surgeons— CWsigneT., G. B. Hope, J. R. MacGregor, J. H.
Billings, R. Frothingham. Consulting Pathologist— F. Ferguson. Medical
Sux>e7-intendent.—C. Wagner.



HOSPITALS. 195

Mothers' and Babies' Hospital (1893), 148 East 35th st. A
maternity hospital for the care of all classes of indigent women
during confinement. Capacity, 55 beds. Rooms for private
patients. Obstetric training for physicians, students and nurses.
Supplies wet-nurses.

Phyftician-in-Chicf.— Edward A. Ayers. Consultants.— Paul F. Munde,
W. Gill Wylie. Houac Phydcian.-J. A. Mitchell.

Mount Sinai Hospital (1852), Lexington ave. , corner 66th st.
A general hospital for patients of all creeds and classes. Board
for those able to pay, §7 a week. Cases of accidents admitted at
any time. Private rooms. §12 to §50 per we^k. Capacity for 214
patients. Apply to the Superintendent at the hospital at any
hour. Dispensary department open week-days, 1 to 4 P. M. Has
also a training school for nurses.

Attending Plujsiciann.—J. Rudish, A. Meyer, E. G. Janeway, B. Scharlau.
Attending Suiyeons.—W. F. Fluhrer, A. G. Gerster. Consulting Pliysician.—
A. Jacobi. Considting Surgeons.— T. M. Markoe, D. M. Stimson. Gynecol-
ogist.— P. F. Munde. Ophtlialmic Surgeon.— E. Gruening. House Surgeon.—
C. Goodman. House Superintendent.— li. Minzesiieimer.

New Amsterdam Eye and Ear Hospital (1888), 212 West 38th
st. For treatment of eye and ear diseases. Has also nose and
throat departments. Capacity, 24. Xo free indoor patients yet.
Supported by voluntary contributions and board of patients.

Executive Surgeon.— T. R. Pooley. Attending Surgeons.— T. H. Burch, R.
C. Myles, G. B. Teames, G. A. Ta.\ lor, D. B. SDecce, J. H. Claiborne, C. Y.
Hogsett, J. B. Haden. Resident Surgeon.— F. W. Alter. Pathologist.— B. S.
Beach.

New York Hospital, 7 to 21 West 15th st. A general hospital
for medical and surgical treatment of patients. Ward patients
are charged $1 a day ; those in private rooms from §15 to §35 a
week. Ajiply to the Superintendent at any time.

Out-Patient Department, in basement of hospital building
in West 15th st.. open daily at 2 P. ii. (except Sundays and holi-
days).

Attending Physicians.— G. L. Peabody, A. B. Ball. Henry P. Loomis, S. W.
Lambert. Attending Surgeons.— R. F. V^eir, W. T. Bull, L. A. Stimson, F.
Hartley, F. W. Murray. Considting Phjisicians.—G. M. Smith, J. W.
McLane, C. E. Hackley, L. D. Bulkley, Edward L. Partridge. Considting
Surgeon.— T. M. Markoe. Pathologist.— G. P. Biggs. Assistant Pathologist.—
L. A. Connor. Superintendent.— G. P. Ludlam.

New York Cancer Hospital ( 1884), Eighth ave. and 106th st.
For the treatment of all sufferers from cancer whose condition
admits of cure or relief, on approval of the medical examiner, at
a charge of $7 j)er week in the wards and from $15 to $25 for pri-
vate rooms. Those unable to pay are treated free. Capacity, 130
beds. Apply for admission in person daily from 2.30 to 3.30



196 HOSPITALS.

P. M. , or by letter accompanied by certificate from some respons-
ible physician. Patients too ill to present themselves will, on
proper application, be Tisited by a medical officer. Supported
by charitable subscriptions and endowments. Visitors admitted
daily from 1 to 3 P. M., and on .Sundays from 3.30 to 5 P. M.

Attending Phiisiciavs.—F. P. Kinnicutt, A. R. Robinson, Attending Sur-
(jeonii—B. F. Curtis, R Abbe, C. N. Dowd, W. B. Coley. Attending Gijne-
cohigist.—H. C. Coe, P. Outerbridge, G. W. Jarman. Consulting Phi/sicians.
— J. T. Metcalfe, A. B. Rail, W. H. Draper. Cnmnlting 6nrge(>ns—T. M.
Markoe, T. G. Thomas, T. A Emmet, R F. Weir. W. T. Bull, G. F. Shrady,
F. Hartley. Cnnsidting Giinccohtgistt^.—G. M. Tuttle, C. Cleveland. Larya-
g()h>gif<t.—I). B. Delavau. Pathol igist.—'E. K. Dunham,

New York Eye and Ear Infirmary (1820), Second ave., corner
13th St. Open week days, for eye, ear and throat diseases, 1 to
3. The poor from all parts of the State are entitled to its priv-
ileges. For the gratuitous treatment of indigent persons suffer-
ing from diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat. Open daily
(Sundays and legal holidays excepted) from 13.30 to 3 P. M. for
the registering of patients. Emergency cases received at any
time.

Attending Surgeons— U. D. Xoyes. R. H. Derby, C. S. Bull, P. A. Callan,
W. S. Dennett, D. W. Hunter. M. E. Tuliy. J. EAVeeks, E. Gruejiing, H. H.
Seabrook, F. D. Skeel, W E. Lambert, G. Bacon, E. B. Dench, J. L. Adams.

F. Whiting, J. F. McKernon, M. J. Asch, F. L. Ives, U. G. Hitchcock, E.
Maver. W. K. Simpson. J. S. Waterman. Consrdting Surgeons.— F.DelafieM,
R. F. Weir, A. H. Buck. Pathologist.— J. E. Weeks. House Surgeon.— W.

G. Craig.

New York Foundling Hospital (1869), 68th st., between
Third and Lexington aves. Cares for foundlings of New Y^ork
City. Under the charge of the Sisters of Charity.

Attendin(j Physicians and Surgeons.— J . O'Dwye-", J. L. Smith, J. J. Reid,
W. D. Nortlirup, G. F. Carey, E. R. Chadbourne, T. Darlington, Jr. Derma-
tologist.- J . P. McGowan. Pathologist. R. G. Freeman.

New York Infirmary for Women and Children (1854),

Hospital, 5 Livingston pi. For surgical treatment, confinement
and non-contagious diseases. Those able to pay, 87 per week ;
others free. Women physicians in charge. Capacity, 60 beds.
Free patients apply for admission at Dispensary between 9 and 11
A. M. Pay patients apply at the Infirmary between 11 a. m. and
1 p. M. "^

Attending Physicians.— F,. Blackwell, E. M. Cushier, A. S. Daniel, M. P.
Jacobi, S. J. McS^utt, G. P. Murrav, J. Walter. ConsvUing Physicians.— E.
Blackwpll, T. F. Cock, T. A. Emmit, A. Jacobi, W. M. Polk, D. M. Stimson,
N. M. Shaffer, G. A. Tuttle, T. G. Thomas, R. F. Weir, Willy Meyer.
Pathologist.— ^1. Wollsteiu. House Pliysician—F,. B. Kilham,

New York Ophthalmic and Anral Institute (1869), 46 East 12th
st. Is a hospital and dispensary for diseases of the eye and
ear. Free to the poor. The hospital accommodates 30. The



fiOSPITALS. 19'?

dispensary is open daily from 2 to 3.30 p. m., when applications
to both departments are received.

AttemUwj Surycons.— H. Knapp, R. O. Born, F. E. D'Oench. M. Toeplitz,
A. Duane, H. H. Tyson, J. M. Mills, W. A. Holden, A. N. Ailing, E. B.
Coburn. Pathologist.— Vy'. A. Holden.

New York Ophthalmic Hospital (homoeopathic) (1852), 201
East 23d st. Treats all diseases of the eye, ear and throat gratui-
tously for the poor, both in the hospital and dispensary. There
are 10 free beds. Usual charge to those able to pay, §5 per week
and upward. Hospital accommodates 60. Apply week-days be-
tween 2 and 4 P. M.

Attending Suu/cons.— F. H. Boynton, N. L. MacBride, A. B. Norton, C.
H. Helfrick, W. E. Rounds, C. Deady, C. C. Bovle, C. S. Elebasli, F. P.
Sheldon, G. A. Shepard, J. M. Schley, A. W. Palmer, W. G. Pearsall, C. E.
Teets. Consulting Su)ge<»i>'.—T. F. Allen, J. M. Wetmore, D. B. Hunt. Gr.
IVI. Dillow, M. Lea], T. C. Williams, C. E. Beebe. ^'eiimlogist.-J. T. O'Con-
nor. Pathologist— "&. D. Klotz. Home iiurgeon—J. B. Palmer.

New York Orthopaedic Dispensary and Hospital (1867),
126, 128 and 130 E. 59th st., between Fourth and Lexington aves.
Furnishes treatment to the poor, with special reference to dis-
eases and deformities of spine and hip-joint, and other serious
diseases of bones requiring surgical and mechanical treatment.
Advice free. Those who can afford to do so are expected to re-
imburse the institution for the actual cost of necessary apparatus.
Payments received in instalments if desired. No worthy person
rejected. Open from 1.30 to 3.30 P. M. (Sundays and legal holi-
days excepted) .

Consulting Physicians— J. T. Metcalfe, W. H- Draper, A. Jacobi, A. H.
Smith, T. E. Satterthwaite. C<msulting Surgeons.— T. M. Markoe, C. Mc-
Burnev,W. T. Bull. P. H. Markoe, B. F. Curtis.. Consulting Sr>eciaUsts.—:sL
A. Starr, R. H. Derby, G. Bacon. Surgeon-in-Chief.—'S. M. Shaffer. House
Surgeon.— U. A. Hibbs.

New York Polyclinic Hospital (1888), 218 E. 34th st. For free
medical and surgical treatment and care of the sick poor suffering
from all non contagious diseases. Private rooms for pay patients.
Capacity, 60 beds. Apply to the 'Superintendent from 6 a. M.
to 5 P. M.

New York Post-Graduate Hospital (1884), 20th st. and Second
ave. For the treatment of general diseases. Has a ward for
women, one for men, and an orthopaedic ward for children, and
babies' wards. Those able to pay charged moderate board; babies
received free. Private rooms for pay patients. Contagious and
chronic cases not admitted. Capacity, 200 beds. Visiting days,
Wednesdays and Sundays from 2 to 4 P. M.

New York Skin and Cancer Hospital (1883), 243 E. 34th st.
For the free treatment and care of the poor aljflicted with cancer



198 HOSPITALS.

and skin diseases. 26 beds. Dispensary open from 2 to 4 P. M.
daily. Apply to the Matron at any time, or to the attending
physicians at the above hours.

Attending Physicians and Surgeons.— 1j. D. Bulkley, G. H. Fox, Daniel
Lewis, W. Meyer. Consulting Physicians and Surgetms.—T. G. Thomas, F.
N. Otis. G. M. Lefferts, E. G. Janeway, A. Jacobi, D. M. Stimson, R. F.
Weir, E. L. Keyes, W. T. Lusk, D. Webster. Gynecologist.— J . E. Janvrin.
Patliologist. — G.^T . Elliott. Home Physician.— George E. Butler.

New York Throat and Nose Hospital, 244 E. 59th st. For
diseases of throat, nose, eye, ear and Lungs, for patients who are
too poor to pay. Application for admission at the hospital any
day (except Sunday) from 2 to 8 p. M.

S^irgeon-in-Chicf.-E, J. Bermingham. Attending Surgeons.— 1^ . S. Rob-
erts, S. Goldstein, E. B. Ramsdell, F. T. Reyling, R. G. Reese, C. W. Kin-
ney, J. C. Smith. Special Consultants.— h. F. Sass, H. Knapp, P. A. Callan,
R. P Lincoln, H. H. Curtis, E. G. Janeway, W. K. Otis, L. C. Gray, R. W.
Taylor, J. D. Bryant, S. E. Milliken, J. A. Booth. Pathologist— F. A. Lyons.

Nursery and Child's Hospital (1854), 51st st. and Lexington
ave. Maintains and cares for destitute children under four years
of age and boards the children of wet nurses. Children are
received to board at $10 per month. Women of good character,
free from contagious diseases, are also admitted to the lying-in
department on the payment of §25 or agreeing to remain three
months after confinement to nurse two infants, and must come
provided with clothing. Has a Country Branch at Staten Island
for the elder children. Apply daily at the hospital from 11 a. m.
to 2 p. M. Applications for confinement are best made in person.

Attending Physicians.— J . J. Hull, A. M. Thomas, L. E. Holt, S. W. Lam-
bert. Consulting PIiysicians.-T. G. Thomas, T. M. Markoe, H. D. Nicholl,
J. W. McLane. Special Consultants.— M. E. Tully, W. F. Mittendorf, Y. P.
Gibney, T. S. Southworth. House Physicians.— W. F. Neumann, L. E. Le
Febra, J. J. Edgerton. *

Old Marion Street Maternity (1827), 139 Second ave. Gives
without charge accommodation and medical attendance during
confinement to respectable indigent married women ; also, gives
the same aid at their residences. Application must be made to
the Medical Superintendent at the Asylum, 12 to 2 daily.

Consxdting Physicians.— WedteT R. Gillette, S. B. W. McLeod, T. Gaillard
Thomas. Attending Physicians.— Nenry D. Nicoll, Paul Outerbridge, Louis
L. Seaman, E. E. TuU. Resident Physician.— J . H. White.

Presbyterian Hospital (1868), Madison ave. and 70th st.
Gives medical and surgical aid to sick and disabled persons, kre-
spective of creed, nationality and color. Accommodation, 330
beds. Supported wholly by voluntary contributions and by
moderate charges to patients able to pay.

All ward patients are asked to pay $7 per w^eek for board or
such smaller sum as may be determined by the circumstances of



HOSPITALS 199

the case, but patients from New York City who are unable to pay
are admitted free. Patients from out of town requiring operative
treatment, not obtainable at their homes, may be admitted free if
unable to pay. Other patients from out of town will not usually
be admitted free. From 85 to 90 per cent, of the patients annually
are free. No contagious or incurable case admitted. Accident
cases admitted at any hour ; others on application to the Superin-
tendent from 10 A. M. to OP. M., or at the request of any member
of the Board of Managers or of the Medical Board.

Attending Physicians.— A. K. Smith, W. G. Thompson, F. P. Kinnicutt,
W. P. Northrup, W. B. James. ConsultingPhysicians.—W. H. Draper, E. G.
Janeway. Attending Surgeons. — C. K. Briddon, A. J. McCosh. Co)isuUing
Surges tn.—C.^lcBuTney. Special Con.ndtants.—T. G. Thomas, M. A. Starr,
F. H. Bosworth. C. S. Bull, A. H. Buck, X. M. Shaffer, G. T. Jackson.
Pathologist.— J. S. Thacher. Superint<:ndent.—C. I. Fisher.

Randall's Island Hospitals (1866) (Pub. Charities), Randalls
Island. For the care and treatment of orphan and foundling
cliildren under two years of age, and of destitute mothers with
babies of less than two years old. Apply to Superintendent of
Outdoor Poor, nortwest corner 11th st. and Third ave.

(Pub. Charities), Randall's Island. For the care of destitute
idiotic and feeble-minded children. Apply to Superintendent of
Outdoor Poor, northwest corner 11th st. and Third are. Medical
officers same as Infants' Hospital.

Randall's Island Hospitals (Dept. Pub. Charities), Randall's
Island. For the care and treatment of sick and crippled children
over two and under sixteen years old. Apply to the Superinten-
dent of Outdoor Poor, northwest corner 11th st. and Third ave.

Physicians and Stirgeons.—'S. A. Griffin, E. M. Foote, W. W. Gilfillan, C.
W. Cutler, W. L. Stowell. S. E. Milliken, F. J. l^eveseur, O. H. Holder, T.
S. Southworth. C. M. Ford, C.VT. Cutler, J. L. Barnes, ^Y. B. Brown, L. K.
Nefl, W. R. Townsend, J. E. Weeks, F. M. Crandali. Medical Chief of Staff.
— E. Kersher.

Reception Hospital, foot of East 16tli st. For temporary care
of Patients awaiting transfer to Riverside Hospital.

Riverside Hospital (1885), North Brother's Island, where cases
of small-pox and other contagious diseases that cannot be safely
isolated at home are received and treated ; also, all cases of small-
pox, typhus and relapsing fevers from Quarantine.

Resident Physician.— C H. G. Steinsieck.

Roosevelt Hospital (1871), 58th and 59th sts., Ninth and Tenth
aves. For the reception and relief of sick and disabled. All the
ward beds (183) are free to those who have very limited or no
means. Provision exists for 40 private patients in a separate
pavilion. Is built chiefly on the pavilion plan. Apply to the
Superintendent at the Hospital at any time.



200 HOSPITALS.

Attending Physicians.— W. H. Draper, F, Delafleld, W. H, Thomson, Gr.
L, Peabody. Attending Surgeon. — C. McBurnev. Attending Gynecologist.—
G. M. Tuttle. Ccnsultino P/i?ysicta>?>\- J. T. Metcalf, T. A. Emmett. Con-
sxdting Surgeons.— T. M. Markoe, R. F. Weir. OmsuUiug Gunaecologist.—R.
Watts. Pathologist— E.Iiodenp}\. Superintendent.- J . R. Latbrop.

St. Andrew's Convalescent Hospital (1887), 213 East 17th st.
For care of female convalescents of all religions. In charge of
Sisters of St. John Baptist, P. E.

Attending Physician.— G. V. Foster. Considting Physicians. — S. Morris,
H. D. Nicoll.

St. Ann's Maternity Hospital, 69th st. and Lexington ave.
Destitute married women are received ; unmarried women, preg-
nant for the first time, are sheltered ; and strangers, who can af-
ford to pay, but do not wish to remain at a hotel or boarding
house during confinement, may be cared for. The charge for the
latter class varies from §6 to $20 a week for board and |50 recep-
tion fee. Patients in the wards pay S3 per week and 825 recep-
tion fee ; these must remain for at least three months as wet-
nurses or pay an extra fee of $25. Medical Board same as New
York Foundlmg Hospital.

St. Elizal)eth's Hospital (1870), 225 W. 31st st. Under care
of Sisters of St. Francis. For medical and surgical aid to the
sick and disabled, without distinction as to religion, nation or
color. 65 beds. Board, $8 to 810 in wards, $12 to $30 in private
rooms, per week. Contagious diseases not admitted. Apply to
the lady in charge or to the Surgeon.

Attending Physicians.— J. F. Gray, E. S. Peck. Consulting Physicians.—
E. L. Keyes, F. Is^, Otis, ,T. F. Janvrin, E. G. Janeway, R. C. M. Page, J. A.
Wyeth, H. M. Sims, R. F. Weir, H. Griswold, P. F. Munde, W. R. Pryor.



St. Francis' Hospital (1865), 609 5th st. Under charge of the
Sisters of the Poor of St. Francis. A general hospital, where the
sick and injured poor are cared for free and without distinction
as to religion or nation. Pay patients received at moderate rates.
Capacity, 230 beds. Apply to the Superioress at the hospital.

Attending PMjsicians.—C. H. Lellman, A. Seibert, J. Doming, F. E. Mil-
ler. Attending Surgeons.— G. F. Shrady, F. Kammerer. Attending Gyne-
cologist.— G. M. Edelbobls. Consulting Gijnecologist.—W. R. Gillette. Cura-
tor.— B. Hodenpyl.

St. John's Guild free Hospital for Children, 157 W. 61st
st. No contagious diseases received. Infants and children to
fifteen years admitted. Number of beds, 50. Patients received
at any time.

Considting Physicians.— A. Jacobi, C. A. Leale. Visiting Physicians and
Surgeons.— W. Tliurman, B. F. Tbompkins, J. H. Fruitwigbt, D. Brown.
Pathologist.— F. Graner. House Physician,— C. M. DeHart.



HOSPITALS. 201

St. Joseph's Hospital (1882), E. 143d and 144th sts, between
Brook and St. Ann's aves. (formerly East 109th st). Under the
charge of the Sisters of the Poor of St. Francis. For chronic dis-
eases of the chest, inchiding consumption. Free to the poor, ir-
respective of nationahty, race or reUgion. Capacity, 365 beds.
Visiting days Sunday and Thursdays from 3 to 5 p. m. Private
rooms $T and 810 per week. Beds in private wards $5 per week.
Apply to Sister Superior at the hospital from 8 to 12.

PhUsician-in-Chkf. —Cha,rles M. Cauldwell. Consultino Physicians.— John
Doming, Frank E. Miller. Visitiiuj Phij!<irians.—G. Starke, W. E. Howley,
C. J. Burke, T. J. Larkin, J. J. Smith, J. N. Butler, A. MuUer, F. D. Lough-
ran, A. Spence, J. H. Larkin, T. Manning. D. J. Murphy. Visitiinj Snr-
geons.-E. Huel, F. D. Skeel. M. J. Schwerd, J. P. McEvoy, .J. P. Burke.

St. Luke's Hospital (P. E.) (1850), Cathedral Heights, 113th
st. and Amsterdam ave. For medical and surgical treatment of
those ill with acute, curable and non contagious diseases, without
distinction of race or creed. Board, §7 per week for adults ; $4
per week for children. None refused on account of poverty.
Apply at hospital any day (except Sunday) from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Attending Phiisicians.—B. Robinson, A. B. Ball. A. A. Davis, V. H. Nor-
rie, G. A. Spalding. Attending Surgeons.— R. Abbe, F. W. Murray, B. F.
Curtis, F. H. Markoe, C. L. Gibson, J. A. Blake. Consulting Physicians.—
J. T, Metcalfe, W. H. Draper, C. W. Packard, A. H. Smith. Consulting Sur-
geons.— C. McBuraev, R. F. Weir, W. T. Bull. L. B. Bangs. Special Con-
SM?fan<s.-N. M. Shalifer, C. S. Bull, G. M. Lefferts, TV. M. Polk, P.Bailey,
E. B. Dench, G. T. Elliot. Pathologist.— J. S. Thacher. ReMdent Officer.—
Rev. Geo. S. Baker, D. D.

St. Mark's Hospital of tlie City of New York (1890), 177
Second ave. Receives charity and j^aying cases. Terms, 87 per
week in the general wards ; private rooms from $15 to 850 per
week. No contagious diseases admitted. Private patients may
select their own physicians. Supported by voluntary contribu-
tions.

Attending Phusicians.-L,. B. Bangs, C, E. Denhard, L. M. Rottenberg,
M. P. Jacobi, H. J. Boldt, H. J. Garrigues, C. A. von Ramdohr, TV. Freu-
denthal. S. D. Powell. Visiting Physicians.— J. Collins, J. F. Erdmann, O.
Maier, H. B. Pettingill, E. C. Savidge, H. J. Schiff, H. N. Vineberg, A.
Yon Grimm. Consulting Phiisicians.~lj. C. Gray, A. H. Smith, L. Weber.
Consulting Surgeon. — C. McBurney. Pathologist.— G. Londenmeyr. House
Physician.— G. F. Little.

St. Mary's Free Hospital for Children (1870), 405 to 411
W. 34th St. In charge of Sisters of St. Mary (P. E.). For care of
sick and injured. Children between two and fourteen years old
received. Accommodation for 120 patients. Has also an out-door
department.

Attending Physicians and Surgeons.— C. T. Poore, G. M. Swift, C. N.
Dowd, C. Carmail, R. Watts, Jr., F. S. Matthews. Consulting Phiisicians.—
R. Watts, F. Delatield. Consulting Surgecnts.-T. M. Markoe, C. McBurney,
C. S. Bull, M. A. Starr. Pathologist.-R. G. Freeman.



202 HOSPITALS.

St. Sayior's Sanitarium, Inwood-on-the-Hudson, New York
City, Incorporated 1892. A Home prepared for the care of
women addicted to the excessive use of alcohol or opium, or
other narcotics. Under the care of the Sisters of St. Mary.

Superintendent.— The Sister Superior. Visiting PTiysicians.— Frederick
Peterson, John Winters Brannon. Consulting P/ij/sicwins.— Wm. H. Draper,
G. H. Humphreys. House Physician.— A. J. Fulton.

St. Yincent's Hospital (1857), 195 W. 11th st. Under charge
of Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul. Patients of all re-
ligious denominations admitted. Board for those able to pay, §7



Online LibraryDaniel Hazeltine PostMedical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1897) → online text (page 43 of 51)