Daniel Hazeltine Post.

Medical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1897) online

. (page 45 of 51)
Online LibraryDaniel Hazeltine PostMedical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1897) → online text (page 45 of 51)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1882. Objects : To be a centre of intercommunication between
the various churches and charitable agencies in this riitj^. To
foster harmonious co-operation between them, and to check the
evils of the overlapping of relief. To investigate thoroughly and
without charge the cases of all applicants for relief which are
referred to the Society for inquiry, and to send the persons
having a legitimate interest in such cases full reports of the
results of investigation. To provide visitors who shall personally
attend cases needing counsel and advice. To obtain from the
proper charities and charitable individuals suitable and adequate
relief for deserving cases. To procure work for poor persons
who are capable of being wholly or partially self-supporting. To
repress mendicity by the above means and by the prosecution of
imposters. To promote the general welfare of the poor by social
and sanitary reforms, and by the inculcation of habits of provi-
dence and self-dependence. It is not an almsgiving society, and
its work is completely severed from all questions of religion,
politics, and nationality. It is a clearing house of registration
and experience for all the charitable activities of the metropolis
It has already instituted its system of exchange of information
between its constituent societies (which includes all which will
avail themselves of its services), and returns are received from
the Department of Public Charities and Correction, sixty-four of
the leading relief societies, fifty-five prominent institutions, and
two hundred and three church societies, while other societies are
being frequently added. It has records of 175,000 families who
have appHed for relief during the last ten years. The Society has



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES. 213

now on active duty, in its district work, in personal service for
the poor, 25 paid agents, 175 members of district committees, and
about 50 friendly visitors.

Children's Aid Society (1855), 105 E. 22d st. For the eleva-
tion of the poor,, by gathering children who attend no schools
into the industrial schools, caring and providing for homeless
children in lodging houses, and in procuring homes for them in
the rural districts and at the West. Supports twenty- one indus-
trial schools, thirteen night schools, seven lodging houses, free
reading rooms, workshops, and summer homes. West Side
Lodging House, 231 ^Y. 32d st.

Cbildren's Fold (1867), St. Nicholas av. and 155th st. Re-
ceives homeless children, especially those recommended by tlie
clergy of the Protestant Episcopal Church. Apply to any Prot-
estant Episcopal clergyman, or at the home.

Deborah Nursery and Child's Protectory (1878), 97 and 103

East Broadway. Keceives, cares for, and educates poor and
destitute Hebrew children between the ages of two and fourteen
years, regularly committed by the legal authorities ; also such
other children "^as aforesaid as the Society may deem prudent to
take charge of. Apply at 95 East Broadway.

Eighth Ward Mission (1877), 49 Macdougal st. Cares for and
educates orphan boys too old to be retained in institutions and
unable to support themselves ; also maintains an industrial school
for poor girls. Apply at the home.

Fiye Points House of Industry (1854), 155 Worth st. De-
voted mainly to the preservation of children from suffering and
crime. Furnishes a home, support, and instruction for neglected
and abandoned children. Also boards children of poor parents
at a nominal rate. Has also day scholars, who are both fed and
taught. Temporarily relieves urgent adult cases, living in the
vicinity, in then* hornes. Apply to the Superintendent, as above,
at all hours of the day.

Five Points Mission (1856), 63 Park st. Supports mission-
aries to labor among the poor, especially in the " Five Points " ;
provides food, clothing, and necessaries for them ; educates poor
children and provides for their comfort ; maintains a school ; and
performs kindred acts of charity and benevolence.

Florence Crittenton Home (1893), 140 E 14th st. To assist
respectable gh-ls and women while working or seeking employ-
ment. Maintains a comfortable boarding house at moderate
rates. Capacity for 20. Apply at the Home.



214 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES.

Florence Nig-ht Mission (1833), 21 Bleecker st. For the res-
cue and reformation of fallen women by means of social, religious
meetings held late at night, by tract distribution, and by personal
influence with those gathered into the meetings. Apply at the
Mission at any hour of the day or evening.

Free Home For Destitute Girls (1870), 23 E. 11th st. Affords
gratuitous shelter for indigent and destitute females ; provides a
temporary home for poor and friendless girls, from thirteen to
twenty-five years old, who are exposed to the temptations of the
city, and after instruction provides them with positions in Chris-
tian families. Apply at the Home.

Friends Employment Society (1862). Meeting house on
Rutherford pi. (bet. E. 16th and E. 17th sts.). Gives relief to
the poor by employment in sewing. Apply as above.

Guilds of Trinity Parish (1887), 209 Fulton st. For the poor.

Hebrew Benevolent and Orphan Asylum Society (1860),

Amsterdam ave. aud 13 th st. Is a constituent of the United
Hebrew Charities. Maintains an asylum for the support, educa-
tion, and industrial training of Hebrew orphans ^nd half-orphans
of both sexes. Capacity, 700. Supported by voluntary contribu-
tions and city funds.

Hebrew Free Burial Society, 128 Second ave. Applications,
with physician's certificate, must be made from 7 to 8 A. M. and
5 to 7 P. M.

Hebrew Infant Asylum (1895), 490 Mott ave. For the care of
orphan children under five years of the Hebrew faith. Apply at
the Home.

Hebrew Sheltering Guardian Society (1879, Eleventh ave.
and 151st st. For the care of poor and neglected Jewish children
from two to fifteen years of age.

Helping Hand Association (1870), 420 W. 54th st. Destitute
women are provided with employment and aided toward support.
Apply from November to April, from 2 to 5 P. M.

Hiram Deals Memorial Home for Children (1893), 53 Wash-
ington sq. S. Cares for and educates a limited number of needy
children under twelve years of age.

Home for Aged and Infirm Deaf Mutes, near Poughkeepsie
(1872). Office, 9 W. 18th st. Eeceives those unable, by disease
or old age, to support themselves. National in its character,

Home for Aged and Infirm Hebrews (1872), 125 W. 105th st.
For aged and infirm Hebrews of both sexes. Also gives some



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES. 215

outdoor relief in the way of meals. Applicants for admission to
the Home must be over sixty years of age and residents of the
city for over five years. Accommodates now about 175. Apply
by letter to the Executive Board.

Home for Incurables (P. E.) (1865). Fordham, Xew York City.
For incurables of the better class, without regard to rehgious
belief. Consumptives received. A special ward for cancer cases.
Accommodations for 180. Ordinary charge $6 per week. One-
third of the beds are free. Apply to the Superintendent, on forms
to be had on request.

Home for Old Men and Aged Couples (1872), 487 Hudson st.
A home for those indicated, in reduced circumstances, having
been members of the Protestant Episcopal Church. Admission
fee, 8250. Apply to the Committee on Admissions, through the
Chau'man at the Home.

Home for Aared Women (1869), 330 Sixth ave. For members of
the Church of the Holy Commumion (P. E.), Under charge of
the Sisters of the Church.

Home for the Asred of the Little Sisters of the Poor (1871),

213 E. 70th St.. and 185 W. 106th st. For the aged and helpless
of both sexes and of every denomination. Must be over sixty
years of age and destitute. Admission Free. Accommodates 500.
Application can be made any day to the Mother Superior,

Home for the Friendless (1849), 82 E. 30th st. Visits and gives
relief in sickness, furnishing nurses to those under the care of
the Society, and obtaining admission to hospitals when desirable.
Has an employment bureau to furnish women with sewing to do
in their own homes ; also, a widows' fund which pensions old
employes. Supported by voluntary contributions and public
school fund. Apply at Home at any hour of the day. Maintains
the following :

Home School, at 29 E. 29th st., and twelve industrial schools
in various parts of the city, in which children are retained until
admissible to the grammar department of the public schools.
The children in these schools are those whose families are too
poor to clothe them properly for the public schools, and who from
various circumstances must be irregular in their attendance.

Hospital Saturday and Sunday Association of New York
City (1880). To develope and perpetuate the general collection in
the several churches, synagogues, and the community at large of
funds for the hospitals of New York City. Funds are distributed
among the different hospitals of the Association without regard
to sect or creed. Frederick F. Cook, agent, 105 E. 22d st.



216 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES.

• House of Mer«;y (1855) (P. E.), Inwood. For the reception and
reformation of destitute and fallen women, eitlier votuntarily en-
tering or committed by a magistrate. Under the charge of Sister-
hood of St. Mary. Apply at the House or to any police justice.

House of Refuge (1824), Randall's Island. Under charge of
Society for the Reformation of Juvenile Delinruents.
Secretary's office. 120 Broadway. A reformatory, giving indus-
trial instruction and common school education. Receives, only
upon commitment of police magistrate and courts of law in New
York City and Hudson River counties (first three judicial dis-
ti-icts), any child under sixteen years of age complained of and
convicted for being disorderly, vagrant or criminal.

House of Rest for Consuniptives (1869) P. E), 1831 Anthony
ave., Tremont, N. Y. A home for the class indicated. Beds
free. Accommodates 40. Applications to be made to Robert
Watts, M. D., 49 W. 36th st., before 10 a. m.

House of the Good Shepherd (1853) (R. C), foot of E. 90th
st. Under the charge of Sisters of Our Lady of Charity of the
Good Shepherd. For the reformation of inebriate and fallen
women, and the care of those who may be in danger of falling.
Young women from any part of the country received without re-
gard to creed or nationality. Capactiy for 1,042. Apply at any
hour at the House.

House of the Holy Comforter, Free Churcli Home for Incur-
ables (1879) P. E.), 355 W. 23d st. For the care of destitute Prot-
estant women and female children of the better class, suffering
from incurable diseases. Apply at the House at any time.

Howard 3Iissiou and Home for Little Wanderers (1864). 204
5th st. For destitute children ; feeds, clothes, educates and trains
them for lives of usefulness. Helps poor and worthy parents in
their homes, and provides for the sick. Also, gives a temporary
home to homeless children until otherwise provided for. Has
weekly religious meetings for young women, young men, mothers
and children, and a Sunday school for children every Sunday
afternoon. Apply at the Mission.

Industrial Christian Alliance (1891) 170 Bleecker st. To
help men to help themselves by taking them from the streets,
giving them a temporary home and employment, and fitting them
for self-support in the ranks of regular labor.

Institution for the Improved Instruction of Deaf Mutes

(1867), Lexington ave. and 67th st. Deaf mute children, from
six to sixteen, are taught to use articulate sounds. Pupils able



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOilES. 217

to pay are charged 8400 per annum. Others admitted on order of
Commissioners of Charities and Correction or Superintendent of
Public Instruction. Apply to the Principal at the Institution.

Institntion of Mercy (1854), 81st st., between Madison and
Fourth aves. Under the charge of the Sisters of Mercy (R. C).
For the care and protection of destitute young women of good
character, to train them to useful pursuits, and secure employ-
ment. The Sisters also visit, relieve and mstruct the sick and
•dying poor in their own homes.

Isaac T. Hopper Home (1845), 110 Second ave. Helps the
liberated prisoner by advice and encouragement, provides her
with work, home and employment, and keeps a watch over her.
Apply to the Receiving Committee, through the Matron, at any
time.

Isabella Heimatli (formerly Isabella House Society) (1889),
Amsterdam ave. and 190th st. A home for the care and main-
tenance of aged indigent persons over sixty years of age, without
distinction of sex, creed, color or nationality. Is also a hospital
and dispensary for chronic invalides and for convalescents. Any
qualified person deemed worthy is taken free of charge. Apply
to the Committee on Admissions at the Home.

Ladies' Union Relief Association (1867). For the care and
reUef of the sick and disabled soldiers of the late war and their
families and of the widows and orphans of those who fell in the
late war. Meets on the first Wednesday in each month from 10
A. M. to 2 p. M. , when apphcations are received.

Leake Dole of Bread. A bequest left by the late John Leake.
A weekly dole of sixty seven loaves is made every Saturday to
the poor of St. John's Church, 46 Varick st.

Leake and Watts Orphan Home a843), Yonkers, X. Y. A
free home for full orphans in destitue circimastances. between
the ages of three and twelve. Must be bodily and mentally sound.
Indentured or returned to relatives at the age of fifteen. Apply
to the Superintendent at the House or to the Rector of Trinity
Church.

Little Mothers' Aid Association (1890), 57 Third ave. To
provide summer day excursions for little girls obliged to take
care of younger children while their parents are at work.

Manhattan East Side Mission (1875), 416 to 422 E. 26th
St. Distributes fruit and flowers among the inmates of public
hospitals. It also supports a coffee house at 420 E. 26th st.,
where convalescents from the hospitals and other institutions on



218 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES.

Blackwell's Island, and others of small means, can obtain re-
freshments at moderate cost. Has also lodging house for men
and women attached. Apply as above.

Messiah Home for Little Children (1889), 4 Rutherford pi.
Provides a home for children of working mothers, or orphans,
from two to ten years of age, or an emergency shelter for those
temporary homeless.

Methodist Episcopal Church Home (1851), Amsterdam ave.
and 92d st. A home for aged and infirm members of the Metho-
dist Episcopal churches of New York City without means or rela-
tives able to provide for them. Applicants must have been mem-
bers of the M. E. church for ten years and of a city church for
five years. No admission fee is required. All articles brought
mto the Home become its property. Applicants having money or
property must secure the same to the institution. Apply, through
the officers of the congregation to which candidate belongs, three
months before entrance.

Midnight Mission (1868) (P. E.), 208 W. 46th st. For the
reclamation of fallen women. Rooms open at all times for con-
versation and advice.

Montefiore Home (1884), Grand Boulevard and 138th st. For
chronic diseases only. Contains 140 beds. Receives Hebrews of
both sexes discharged not cured from hospitals.

" Nazareth," Branch of New York Foundling Hospital, Spuy-
ten Duyvil. For needy and homeless mothers and children.
Accommodates 170.

New Yorlt Association for Improving the Condition of the
Poor (1848), lOo E. 22d st. For the discouragement of indis-
criminate almsgiving, and aiding worthy families and persons
who may be temporarily distressed. Apply at the office as above.
Office hours, 9 a. m. to 5 P. M.

New York Catholic Protectory (1862), Westchester, West-
chester Co. Office, 415 Broome st. Cares for destitute Catholic
children as follows : First, children under fourteen years of age
and entrusted for protection or reformation. Second, those be-
tween seven and fourteen committed as' idle, truant, vicious, or
homeless by a police magistrate. Third, those of a like age trans-
ferred by the Commissioners of Charities and Correction. Boys'
Protectory is in charge of the Brothers of the Christian Schools.
The boys are educated and taught trades. Girls' Protectory is in
charge of the Sisters of Charity. The girls are educated and
taught industrial employments. Apply to Superintendent of the
House of Recei)tion, 415 Broome st.



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES. 219

New York City Asylum for the Insane, Ward's Island.
Cares for destitute insane whose friends cannot provide for them
in private asylums.

New York City Lunatic Asylum, Blackwell's Island. Cares
for destitute insa*ne females whose friends cannot provide for
them in private asylums.

New York City Lunatic Asylum. Harts Island. Is a branch
of the New York City Lunatic Asylum, Blackwell's Island, for
females. See above.

These Lunatic Asylums now in charge of the State Lunacy
Commission under the title of the Manhattan State Hospital for
the Insane. Office, Metropolitan Life Insurance Building, 23d st.
and Madison ave

New York Female Assistance Society (1840), 29th st., cor-
ner Fifth av. Relieves the sick poor without regard to color or
nation. Assistance given in necessary articles. Has a branch
society called the Dorcas Society, which makes the garments
given.

New York Foundlinpr Hospital (1869), 175 E. 68th st. Cares
primarily for foimdlings born in this city. It has also a Lying-
in Department, where destitute or tempted married women are
received ; where unmarried women, pregnant for the first time,
are sheltered ; and where strangers who can afford to pay, but do
not wish to remain at a hotel or boarding-house during confine-
ment, may be cared for. The charge for the latter class varies
from §6 to 850 a week for board and 840 to §50 reception fee.
Patients in the wards pay S3 per week and §25 reception fee.
These must remain for at least three months as wet nurses. Ap-
ply to the Hospital at any hour of the day.

New York Home for Conyalescents (1880), 433 E. 118th st.
Furnishes a temporary free home for Protestant female conva-
lescents from the hospitals and for those who from overwork are
on the verge of illness. Address the Corresponding Secretary at
the Home.

New York House and School of Industry (1851), 120 W.

16th St. Assists infirm and destitute women by giving them em-
ployment in needlework at a fair remuneration. Maintams a
sewing school for the young. Unsectarian. Apply from 9 a. m.
to 6 P. M.

New York Infant Asylum (1865), Amsterdam av. and 61st st.
For the pr )tection and care of unmarried women (not courte-
sans) pregnant for the first time; for needy mothers and their



230 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES.

infants ; for foundlings and other needy children two years of age
and under, without regard to race, creed or color. Also, takes
young girls to board during confinement at §5 a week. Main-
tains a

Country Home and Nursery at Mt. Vernon, Westchester
Co. Accommodates 150 women and 400 children.

New York Institutiou for the Blind (1831), Ninth ave., corner
34th St. For education of the blind from eight to twenty-five
years of age. Accommodates 200. Apply at the Institution.

New York Institution for the Instruction of the Deaf and
Dumb (1817), West 162d st. For the class named in the title.
Accommodates 500. Children from six to twelve are admitted
by application to the Commissioners of Charities and Correction,
and persons from twelve to twenty-five upon application to the
Superintendent of Public Instruction, Albany. Boarders, §300
per annum ; day pupils, $100 per annum. Apply also to the
Superintendent at the Institution.

New York Jurenile Asylum (1851), 176th st. and Amsterdam
ave. Office and House of Reception, 61 W. 13th street. Is a
reformatory for truant and disobedient children of both sexes,
residents of the city, between the ages of seven and fourteen
years, committed by a magistrate or surrendered by parents or
guardians. It also provides homes in the country for friendless
or surrendered children. Accommodates 800 at Asylum and 100
at House of Reception. Apply at the House of Reception at any
hour of the day.

New York Magdalen Beneyolent Society (1851). Supports an
Asylum. 139th st. and North River, for the reclamation of fallen
women, who remain during good behavior. Apply at above at
any time of day and night.

New York Protestant Episcopal City Mission Society (1833),
38 Bleecker st. Maintains religious services, ward visitations,
and beside ministrations in the public institutions of the city and
adjacent islands, and provides a free reading room for young men
at 38 Bleecker st. Also gives daily relief at the office, but espe-
cially at St. Barnabas' House, 304 and 306 Mulberry st. (which it
owns and sustains), without distinction of creed, race, or color.
Apply as above. Office hours, 9. 30 a. m. to 4. 30 P. M.

New York Ked Cross Institute (1892), 233 W. 100th st. Acts
under the direction of the American National Red Cross. Pro-
vides attendance and nursing for the sick, regardless of nation-
ality, creed, or sex. The sick are attended at their own homes,
if offering necessary conveniences, otherwise they are accepted at
the Infirmary, which contains 18 beds.



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUilS AND HOMES. 221

Olivet Helping Hand (1870), 63 2d st. Furnishes work to
destitute women at fair prices. Pay given in garments and gro-
ceries. Meets Tuesdays, 1.45 P. m.

Orphans' Home and Asylum of the Protestant Episcopal
Church (1859), 49th st., between Fourth and Lexington aves.
Orphans and half orphans from three to eight years of age are
received. No charge. Accommodates about 140. Apply at the
Home on Fridays at 2 p. m.

Orphan Asylum Society (1807), Riverside Drive and W. 73d
st. For orphans of both sexes. Admission free. Accommodates
about 150. Applv to Executive Committee, Mondavs, from 10 to
12 m., at 105 E. 22dst.

Orphanage of the Church of the Holy Trinity (1889), 400

E. 50th St. A home for needy orphan and half -orphan girls,
where they are provided for and educated at the public schools
until fifteen years old, when homes are found for them.

Peabody Home for Aared and Indigent Women (1847), West
Farms, X.* Y. For the residents of Xew York City or Brooklyn.
Unsectarian. No admission fee required. Accommodation for
26. Apply to the Matron at the Home.

Presbyterian Home for A?ed Women (1866), 49 E. 73d st.

Applicants must be residents of this city, must be sixty-five years
old, and have been members of the Presbyterian or Reformed
Dutch Church of this city for three years. Must bring satisfac-
tory proof from their pastor or elders, and pay $3 a week board.
Apply to the Committee on Admission.

Riyerside Free Library, 259 West 69th st. Hours: Mondays
to Fridays, 2 to 6 p.m., 7.30 to 9.30 P.M. ; Saturdays, 10 to 11 a.m.
Miss Kate Kaufman, Librarian.

The Riverside Baths furnished 27,000 Baths last year. Rain
Baths cost 5 cents each ; Turkish Baths, 25 cents.

The Hydriateici Department gives water treatment to in-
digent patients sent by Physicians and by Dispensaries. All use-
ful forms of Hydrotherapy and Massage are given here. The
cost ranging 10 cents for dispensary patients, 25 cents for others.
There is also a fund for free treatment to those unable to pay.
Arnot Spence, MD., and J. P. Ajnes, M.D., Attending Physi-
cians; Simon Baruch, M.D., Medical Director.

Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum (1852), 461 Madison ave.
Maintains two asylums as follows :



222 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES.

Female Orphan Asylum, Madison ave., between 51st and 52d
sts. Number of inmates, about 420.

Male Orphan Asylum, Fifth ave., between 51st and 52d sts.
Number of inmates, about 370.

Both under one management, and receive orphan and half-
orphan children between 3 and 10 years of age. Application
for admission is made in writing to the Committee on Ad-
mission and Binding, by the clergy of the different parishes on or
before the Saturday previous to the second and fourth Tuesdays
of each month, at the asylum office.

St Ann's Home (1880), 90th st. near Ave. A. Cares for and
protects young girls. Capacity for 350. In charge of the Sisters
of the Good Shepard (R. C.).

St. Barnabas' House (1865), 304 Mulberry st. Under the
charge of the Protestant Episcopal City Mission. A temporary
resting place for liomeless women and children, as w^ell as women
discharged from the hospitals cured but needioga fews day's rest.
Meals are given daily to destitute women and children. Ca-



Online LibraryDaniel Hazeltine PostMedical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1897) → online text (page 45 of 51)