Daniel Hazeltine Post.

Medical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1898) online

. (page 46 of 55)
Online LibraryDaniel Hazeltine PostMedical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1898) → online text (page 46 of 55)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ceived. Accommodations for 120 patients. Has also an out-door
de])artment.

Attending Physicians and Surgeons.— C. T. Poore, G. M. Swift, C. N. Dowd,
C. Cariuall, R. Watts, Jr., F. S. Matthews. Consulting Physicians. — R. \\'att8,
F. Delafield. Consulting Surgeons. — T. M. Markoe, C. McBurney. C S. Bull, M.
A.Starr. Pathologist. —R G. Freeman.

St< Sayiour's Sanitarinni, luwood-on-the-Hudson, New York
City. Incorporated 1892. A Home prepared for tbe care of women
addicted to the excessive use of alcohol or opium, or other narcotics.
Under the care of the Sisters of St. Mary.



210 HOSPITALS.

Superintendent. — The Sister Sniierior. Yisitinc/ Physicians. — Frederick Peter-
son, John Winters Brannon. Consulting P/*j/«?cia/ts. — Wm. H. Draper, G. H.
Humphreys. House Physician. — W. T. Alexander.

St. Vincent's Hospital (1857), 195 W. 11th st. Under charge of
Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul. Patients of all reli-
gious denominations admitted. Board for those ahle to pay, ^7
per week and upward. Apply at the hospital from 9 a.m. to 6
P.M. No contagious cases admitted. Cai)acity, 150 l»eds.

Attending Physicians C. J. MacGuiro, J. A. McCreery. Attending Surgeons.
— C. Phelp.s, S. Smith, F. S. Dennis. J. I). Bryant. Consulting Physician.— E.G.
Janeway. Consulting Surgeons. — J. W. S. Goulej', S. Smith. Ophthalmic Sur-
geon. — P. A. Callan. Gynecologists. — W. M. Polk, C. ('leveland. Attending
Gynecologist. — J. Aspell. Attending Laryngologist. — F. J. Quiulan. Pathologist.
— D. H. McAlpin. House Physician. — E I. Geraglity. House Surgeon. — M.
W. O'Gorman.

Setoii Hospital for Consumptives (1892), Spuyteu Duyvil. For
the care and treatment of patients with consumption. $7 per
week for those able to pay. Has also private rooms. Apply at
the hospital.

Attending Physician. — Frank W. Jackson. Consulting Physicians. — Francis
Delafleld, t. M. Prudden.

Sloane Maternity Hospital (1887), corner 59th st. and Amster-
dam ave. This is a lying-in hospital of 150 beds, given by Wil-
liam D. Sloane, Esq., whose wife, a daughter of the late William
H. Vanderbilt, endowed the institution by making all of its beds
free in perpetuity. The service here is under the exclusive direc-
tion of the Professor of Obstetrics of the College of Physicians and
Surgeons. The staff consists of a resident physician and three
assistants, who are appointed from graduates of the college to
serve three months each, preference being given to those who have
already had a general hospital experience. Members of the grad-
uating class are required each to attend and deliver in the hospi-
tal a certain number of cases of labor.

Attending Physician. — J. W. McLane. Assistant Attending Physician. — E. A.
Tucker. Resident Physician. — J. D. Voorhees.

Trinity Hospital, 50 Varick st. Maintained by Trinity Church,
at a cost of $8,000 per annum, for the benefit of the poor belong-
ing to the parish. Whenever there is room patients are received
from outside their own parish.

Attending Physicians. — C. P. Tucker, N. H. Henry, A. L. Fisk, F. T. Brown.
Consulting Physicians. — C. E. Hackley, E. M. Cameron, G. H. Humphreys.
Examining Physician. — "W. L. Harding. Ophthalmic Surgeon. — R. H. Darby.
Assistant Attendant Physicians. — F. Hawkes, H. H. Forbes.

United States Marine Hospital Service (1798). Office at the
Battery, east of Barge office. For the care of sick and injured
sailors of merchant vessels sailing under U. S. registry and of the
Revenue Cutter Service (not for the U. S. Marine Corps, for which
see U. S. Naval Hospital). Controlled by a surgeon-general acting



HOSPITALS. 211

under authority of Secretary ol'tlie Treasury. Supported by Gov-
ernment tonnage dues on vessels from foreign ports. Ottice hours,
9 A.M. to 3 P.M. Apply at the office. Maintains the following :

Marine Hospital, Stapleton, S. I.; reached by Stateu Island
Ferry. Sixty days' service immediately prior to application is
r(M[uired ; special modifications of this rule are occasionally made.
Capacity, 150 patients.

Willard Tarkcr Hospital, foot of K. 16th st. For children and
adults sutleriug from scarlet fever, and children and adults suffer-
ing from diptheria. Patients suffering from infectious and con-
tagious diseases and needing to be removed may be reported to
this hospital (telephone call, 525 18th) any hour during the day or
night ; also to the Board of Health direct, Criminal Court Building
(telephone call, 450 Franklin), and to the nearest police station as
well.
Resident Physician. — W. L. Somerset.

Woman's Hospital (1857), 49th and 50th sts., between Lexing-
ton and Fourth aves. For the treatment of diseases jieculiar to
women. Twenty-five free beds ; others, $7 to i$;:i5 per week. To-
tal accommodation, 133 beds. Clinics for outdoor patients every
week-day at 9 a. m. and 2 p. m. Apply to the Superintendent, Miss

F. E. Fowler.

Attending Surgeons.— T. A. Emmet, H. D. Nicoll, C. Cleveland, B. Emmet,
H. T. Hanks. Consulting Physicians. — J. T. Metcalfe, E G. Janeway. A. H.
Siuith, F. Delafield, F. P. Kiiinicutt. Consulting Surgeons.— T. G. Thomas, T.
M. Markoe, W. T. Bull, C. McBuiiiey, E. Abbe, J. D. Bryant. Patholoaist.—

G. C. Freeborn.

Work House and Alms House (Dept. Pub. Charities).

Physicians and Surgeons.— P. Bailey, C.L. Gibson, "W". T. Gibbs, P. E. Bolton,
C. E. Bruce, W. C. Lusk, S. G. Cook, J. P. Tuttle. Superintendent.— S . W.
Terry.

BROOKLYN AND QUEENS.

Brooklyn Hospital, Raymond st. near DeKalb ave. (1845).
Accommodates 150 patients. Derives its support from voluntary
contributions, pay patients, city aid, trusts and interests accruing
therefrom. Patients admitted as follows: Accidents and acute
diseases free ; mania a potu, !^25 in advance ; private wards, %1 per
week ; private apartments, ^12 to !$25 per week.

Attending Physicians. E. Ormiston, A. Hutchins, A. E. Paj'ne. F. E. TVeat.
Adjunct Attending Physicians. — B. B. Moslier, F.Baldwin, H. E. Eraser. G. E.
Hall. Attending Surgeons. — G. E Fowler, W. C. Wood. E L. Dickinson.
Adjunct Attending Surgeons.— ~R. W. Westbro ik, E. S. Fowler. Consulting
Surgeon. D. E. Kissam. Consulting Dermatologist. — S. Sberwell. Consulting
Ophthalmologist. — A.Matbewson. Consulting Neurologist.^^. (J. Shavr. Con-
sulting Laryngologist — W. H. Dudley. Obstetrician. — F. H.Stuart. Adjunct
Obstetrician. — W. B. Biiusniade. Orthopcedic Surgeon. — B. B. Mosher. Patho-
logist.— 3. M. Van Cott. House Staf.—E. L. Jelks, P. L. Sondern, T. A. Mc-
Goldrick, E. C. Holcomb. Superintendent. — C. V. Dudley.



212 HOSPITALS.

Brook lyu Eastern District Hos|>ital Jiiid Dispensary (1851).
106-112 8. 3d St. L. W. Wiegaud, Sii])eriiiti'n<lent.

Brooklyn Eye and Ear Hospital, 94 Livin«;8tou st. (1868). For
the treatment of diseases of the eye, ear, skin, throat, and nervons
system. Open daily, except Sundays, at 2 p. m. C. Meyer, Super-
intendent.

Brooklyn Honm^opathic Hospital (1871), Cuniherlaud st., be-
tween Myrtle and Park aves. 120 beds. Supjiorted by voluntary
contributions, pay of patients and excise money. Private rooms,
$15 to $35 per week ; auy homa^opathist of Brooklyn, in good
standing, has the privilege of attending his own jiatients in these
rooms, subject to the rules of the institution. Training school for
nurses.

Visiting Staff.— B. Simmons, O. S. RitcL, J. L. Moflfat, C. Burnhara, W.
H. Piersou, C. L. Johutstoii, W. C. Latimer, W B. Winchell, G. C. Jetlery.
W. W. Blackmail, R. K. Valontine, F. T. Van Woert. Superinfenderit.—J. A.
McEacbron.

Bushwiek Hospital, 1038 Greene ave. (1893). Number of beds,
17.

Attending Physicians. — W. A. Little, L. A. Whitebouse, N.Watson, J. H. Hunt,
D. Mjerle, F. G. Winter. Attending Surgeoiis. — J. G. King. N. B. Sizer, J.
Rankin. L. J. Cardona, H. L. Scbelhng, F. H. Clark. (hjnccologists. — G. A.
Williama, A. Scbauf, F. Baldwin, S. P. Truex, VV. B. Cbase, H. F. JewetJ. Con-
sultants — C. Jewett, G. R. Fowler. G. W. Briisb. Orthopeedic Surgeons. — W.
\V. Browning E. A. Hatcb. Neurologist —J. L. Macmnber. Otologist.— 3 . W.
Ingalla. Ophthalmologist. — H A.Alderton. Laryngologist.~C N. Co:s.. Patho-
logist. — N. B. Sizer. Superintendent.— 3 . L. Macumber.

Central Throat Hospital and Polyclinic Dispensary, junction
of Broadway, Howard ave. and Monroe, Brooklyn.

Medical Staff'. President. — W. B. Cbase. Vice President. — J. R. Kevin,
Secretary. — E. C. Kroos. Treasurer. — E. A. Fries. Attending Physicians and.
Stirgeons.—fi. G. Clark, W. H. Haynet^, C. D. Kevin. F. J. Kirk, F. J. McCameroD,
W. U. Rankin, Peter Scott, K. G'. Winter, E. W. Wrigbt.

Evangelical Lutheran Hospital, East New York ave. and Atlan-
tic ave., East New York (ISSl'^. Capacity, 58 beds. Tothoseable
to pay, $1 per week ; others free.

Attending Physician. — A. Kocli. Attending Surgeon. — E. O. Bacbinann.
Assistant Surgeon. — W. Tomes. Consulting Gynecologist. — E. F. Foerster.

King's County Hospital, Brooklyn, N. Y. In charge of Com-
missioners of Charities and Correction, 29 Elm pi., cor. Livingston
St., Brooklyn. For the sick poor of Kings county. Has 450 beds.
Admittance obtained by application at couimissioners' oflice.
Cases of accident oi' sudden illness at any^ time, day or night, upon
application at the hospital. House statf a])pointed by competitive
examination.



iiosriTALS. 213

CoiLsiiltiiiif riii/gicictiix and ,Sur()einin. — V. L Sclifiuk, .7. 1). Kushiuore, T.
Sohoiuk. J.' A.ilcCorkle, H. L. Bartlett, J. S. Prout. J. C Shuw, C. Jewett,
W. II. Hates, A. J. C. Skeiiu. Visiting I'hysicicnig ami Surgeons.— J. B. Bogart,
W. Maddren. A. T. Biistow, V. E. West, G. R. Hall, II. II. Maine, P. Towuaoud,
J. S. Wood. W. Browiiinii-. ('. T. Hnrber, R. L. Dickinson. J. T. Uiiryea, J. M.
Wintield, H. II. Morton, S. McNanuira, P. McNau'jjliton, H. C. McLean, D. T.
Lueaa. J. M. Van Cott, E. H. Wilson. J'atholor/ists.— J. M.. Yau Cott, "E. R.
Wilson. Medical Superintendent.— J. T. Diiryea.

Kiiig-stoii Avenue Hospital^ Flatbusli (Brooklyn Health Depart-
ment). For contagious diseases only. 120 beds. Patients ad-
mitted any time of day or night.

Medical Superintendent. — A. S. Ambler.

Loiiff Island College Hospital, cor. Heory and Pacific sts.,
Brooklyn (1859). Number of beds, 225. The hospital receives
medical aud surgical cases, and has Iving-in wards. Contagions
diseases not admitted. Cases of accident or sudden illness received
at any time of day or night. Hours for visitors, from 2 to 4 p. m.,
Tuesdays and Fridays.

Visiting Fhysicians and Surgeons. — F. H. Colton, C. Jewett, J. A. McCorkle,
P. E. We.st, H. N". Read, J. S. Wi-iht, E. Palmer, A.J. C. Skene, A. T. Bristow,
H. B. Uelatour. J. S. Prout, T. R. French, A. Matbewson, J. C. Shaw-. Warden.
— R. E. Shaw, M.D.

Long: Island Tliroat Hospital and Eye Infirmary (1889), 55
Willoughl)y St.

Surgeon-in- Chief . — D. M.Woolley. Consulting Laryngologist. — J.W. Gleitsniau.
Consulting Otologi.st. — (). D. Pomeroy. Consxdting Ophthalmologist. — H. Knapp.
Consulting Neurologist.- J. C. Shaw.

Methodist Episcopal Hospital of Brooklyn (1881) cor. Sixth st.
and Seventh ave. Under the supervision of the Methodist Ei»is-
cojial Church. For treatment of the sick irrespective of race, color
or creed. Number of beds, 111. Patients received from 9 to 5.
Supported by voluntary contributions, board of patients, etc.

Attending Surgeons. — L. S. Pilcher, Gr. R. Fowler, J. B. Bogart. Attending
Physicians. — A. R Matheson, G. R. Butler. Consulting Staff.— lu. B. Bangs,
N. L. INTortb, A. E. M. Purdy, W. H. B. Pratt. Pathologist.— W. N. Belcher.
General Superintendent. — Rev. J. B. Breckeuridge. Resident Superintendent. —
Rev. A. E. Noble.

Norwegian Lutheran Deaconess' Home and Hospital, 46th st.
and 4th aye., Brooklyn. Open to all nationalities and religious
beliefs.

Attending Physician.— H. C. Turner. Consulting Physician.— J. A. McCorkle.
Attending Surgeon.— K. B. Delatour. Consulting Surgeon.— G. R. Fowler.
Pathologist.— K. P. DeForest.

St. Catherine's Hospitnl, Bushwick ave., bet. Ten Eyck and
Maujer sts. Brooklyn, E. D. In charge of Sisters of St. Dominic.
Open to all, irrespective of color or religion. $1 per quarterinsures
membership, and, in case of sickness, admission to hospital.



214 HOSPITALS.

St. Christopher's Hospitnl for Babies, 283 Hicks. Only infants
under two years of «age eli>jjiblo. Contagions diseases not admitted.

Visiting Physicians — W. A. Northridse, J. W. Parrisb, Consulting Physi-
cians and Surqeons.—A. J. C. Skene, Wm. Maddreu, C. Jowett, Win. Brownine,
W. H. Snyder, W. F. Dudley.

St. Joint's Hospital, Atlantic ave., cor. Albany ave., Brooklyn
(1871). Capacity, 85 beds. Board, $7 per week. Children, |;4 per
week. Private rooms, |15 to $30 per week. Free ward for those
who cannot pay.

Attending Physician.^. — A. W. Catlin, F. H. Colton, FT. A. Fairhairn. Assist-
ant Physiciaii. — J. E. Langslaff. Attending Surgeons. — Gr. G. Hoi)kmf", A. T.
Briatovr, H. B. Delatour. Assistant Surgeons.— W . S. Sinnuons. H. Wallace,
W. B. Brinsmade. Ophthalmologist. — K. Matliewsou. Netirologist. — J. C. Shaw.
Consulting Physicians. — J. R. Bird. A. Hutcbins. (■onsulting Surgeons — J. H.
H. Bnrge, W. Gilfillan. ('onsulting Gynecologist. — E. Palmer. Consulting La-
ryngologist. — W. F. Dudley. Pathologist. — W. H. Seymour. Anfesthetist. — H.
T. Hotchkiss. House Stajf. — E. N. Bowen. S. Lewis, R. S. Graves. Rector and
Superintendent. — Rev. A. C. Buun, M.D.

St. John's LoiJir Island City Hospital, (1891) 12th st. and .Jackson
ave., L. I. City.

Superintendent. — Sister Mary David.

St. Mary's Hos])ital, St. Marks and Buifalo aves., Brooklyn
(1882). A hospital of specialties. Under the charge of the Sisters
of Charity.

Attending Physicians and, Surgeons.— J. Byrne, W. J. Corcoran, J. C. Mac-
Evitt. J. Harrijoan, G. R. Kubn, J. S. Waterman, J. D. Sullivan, C. H. Terry,
J. C. Kennedy. J. M. Clayland, R. S. Newton, L. J. Morton, W. C. Wood. Con-
sulting Physicians and Surgeons. — J. S. Wigbt, G. R. Fowler, L. C. Gray, C.
Jewett, A.'Matbewson, W. E. Griffith. Pathologist.— W . Moser.

St. Mary's Female Hospital, 151 to 155 Dean st., Brooklyn.
Under the charge of the Sisters of Charity. Atfords medical and
snrgical treatment for diseases of women and children. Patients
of all religious denominations received. Tliere is in connection
with this institution a maternity hospital and children's depart-
ment. There is also a j<eneral dispensary where clinics are con-
ducted from 2 to 5 p.m. daily,

St. Peter's Hospital, Henry st., bet. Congress and Warren sts.,
Brooklyn (1864). In charge of the Sisters of the Poor of St. Fran-
cis, Cares gratuitously for the sick and disabled of both sexes.
Has accommodations for 350 patients.



HOSPITALS. 215

Attending Phiisicians —J. E. (nark, T. P. Corbally, J. A. Keeno. T. M. Lloj-d.
Atlendinq Sunieonii.—,1 . D. Kiislimore F. W. Wuutlerlicli. Gi/necoloyist.—l.. G
Haldwin." Assistant Gifiiccoloi/ixttt.—J. F. Todd, S. J. McNamara. Assigtant
l'hi/8icians.—l\ F. Pyburn. V. J. Magilliijaii, J. B. Thomas, H. C. Riggs
Assistant Surtjeons.—C. P. Gildersleevo, B. B. Mosher, W. M. Friend.

United States Naval Hospital (1828), Flushing ave., opp. Ryer-
son St., Brooklyn. G. W. Woods, U. S. Navy, Medical I)ircctor-in-
Charge. For treatment of sick and disabled otticers and enlisted
men of the Navy and Marine Corps. Controlled by the Navy De-
partment. Visitors admitted Tuesday and Friday from 1 to 4.

Williamsburg Hospital, cor. Bedford ave. and So. Sdst., Brook-
lyn, E. D. 40 beds. Dispensary open daily, except Sundays.

Staff Siirgeons.—'N. E. North, Jr., J. H. Droge, L. M. Nickerson, L. A. Mc-
Clelland, W. F. Campbell, R. J Morrison. Gynecologists.— J. O. Polak, R. H.
Pomeroy, W. E. Butler, H. N. Hoople, P. C. Jamison.

Astoria Hospital (founded in 1892 by Mrs. F. E. Hagemeyer).
This hospital is intended to be for the treatment of patients having
acute and curable diseases, without regard to sex, creed or nation-
ality. Chronic sufferers will be admitted at discretion, but for
-temporary treatment only. None will be received having such
diseases as would occasion danger or discomfort to others.

Consulting Staff. -J. A. Wyeth, E. LeFevre, D.Brown. W. T. Gibb, J. C.
Ed^ar, J. E. Weeks, J. H. Billings. F. W. Batterman. Medical Staff.— S.O.
Fitch, A. J. Andersen, C N. Piatt, J. R. Hinckson, B. G. Strong, J. D. Trask.
House Physician — E. B. Bailey. Superintendent.— Kiss Uorathea Fick.



RICHMOND.
S. R. Smith Infirmary, New Brighton, Staten Island (1869).

Chief of Staff'.— 3. J. O'Dea. Surgeons.— W. Bryan, E. D. Coonley. G. P. Jes-
Hup, C. W. Townsend, W. C. Walser, J. W. Wood Physicians.— F. E. Clark,
H. C. JoLneton, J. J. O'Dea, J T. Sprague, J. E. Vidal, F. J. Thomson. House
Surgeon.— G P. Boulden. Assistant House Surgeon.— F. T. Budd. Superintend-
ent. — Alice I. Twitchell.

Staten Island Hospital, Fort Wadsworth (1893). Formally
opened to the public December 18, 1893. The hospital is managed
actively by women.

Chief of Staff.— J. J. Van Rensselaer. Physicians.— J. L. Feeney, W. B.
Wilkinson, F. Clark, T. J. Thompson, G. Mord. Surgeons.— J. J. Van Rens-
selaer, G. Jessup, G. Beers, F. Barber. Superintendent.— M. Lampe.



216 HOSPITALS.



HOSPITALS OF YONKERS.



Hoiiiu'opathic Home and Maternity (1896). Obstetrical, medical
ami surgical diseases of women and children.

Attendincj Staff.— Jl. O Phillips, R. Tl. Trotter. R. P. Fay, H. G. Keith. Con-
sulting Staff.— F. E. Doughty, E. G. Tnttle, C. H. Helfrich.

St. John's Riverside Hospital, Asliburton ave. (1870).

Attendinci Surgeons.—^ . H. Sherman, E. Schopen, D. John, S E. Getty.
Attending Physicians. — H. B. Brown, \V. S. Coons Consulting Surgeon. — L. A.
Stirason. Consulting Physician. — E. G. Janeway. Consulting Gynecologist. —
G. M. Edebohls Consulting Laryngologist. — W K. Siitpson. Consulting Or-
thopcedic Surgeon. — T. H. Myers. Consulting Ophthalmologist. — C. W. Cutler.
Bacteriologist. — W. D Horn. Neurologist. — E. M Morrell. House Physicians.—
E MacGregor, E. F. Perry. Superintendent. — Mrs. Mary D. Burnham.

Out Patient Department. — Open daily, 11 to 1.

St. Joseph's Hospital (1870). Under charge of Sisters of
Charity. Maintains an out-door department and training school
for nurses.

Consulting Surgeons and Physicians. — P. A. Callen, J. D. Bryant, F. S. Den-
nis. E. L. Keyes." J. D. Ea^met. H. T. Hanks, G. H. Fox, L. C. Graj', A. C.
Benedict, E. j. Harrington. V. Brown, E. M. Hermance. Visiting Surgeons and
Physicians-— P. H. Pyne, N. A. Warren, H. Mofiat, E. E. Colton. J. T. Gibson,
J. L. Porteous. Pathologist. — E. E. Colton. House Physician. — J. S. Maher.



217



AN EVENT OF MUCH IMPORTANCE.





T-HE5T1MUL-ANT- ANALGESIC -ANTIPYRETIC ■ ET-HICAL



Is au Aiuiuouiated-Pheuylacetatuide prudiut of Coal Tar, and ditfersifrom the
numerous similar products in that it contaius A n monia in active fonu. As a
result of this Ai>l3I(>JNOLi possesses marked stimulating and expectorant ino-
parties. The well-knowB cardiac depression induced by other Antipyretics has
frequently prohibited their nse in otherwise suitable cases. The introduction of
a similar drug, possessed of stimulating properties, is an event of much im-
portance. A3I.MOXOL possesses marked anti neuralgic properties, and it is
claimed to be especially useful in cases of dj'smeuorrhoea. — The Medical Magazine,
London.

A.M3IONOL. behaves as a stimulant as well as an antipyretic and analgesic,
thus differing from other coal-tar products. It has been used in the relief of
rheumatism and neuralgic pains, and in the treatment of the sequelse of alcoholic
exce.-<3. A3I3IOm«»L is alsoprepaied in the form of salicylate, bromide and
lithiate The presence of Ammonia in a more or less free state gives it additional
properties as an expectorant diuretic and corrective of hyperacidity. — London
Lancet.

Ammonol may be obtained from all licading Druggists.

Send for "AJIMONOL EX( KRPTA,"' a 4S Page Pamphlet.



THE AMMONOL CHEMICAL CO.



Maniifaeliiriiig
J ChiMuisls,



NEW YORK, U.S.A.







the:



-GrOCi-xjaa.



FORMULA : E— Galega Officinalis F. E. Galega Apolinea kk 3 parts. Galega Tephrosea 1 part.

Knables nursing mothers whjae milk is scanty or poor to yield a copious supply of excellent milk in
thret- days Nutrolactis acts by impr^vinf: the mothers' nutrition : it does not force dry mothers to pro-
duce pood milk copiously, it enablrs ttem to do so. Formula on every bottle. One full sized bottle (16
07.. ), value one dollar, sent free to any physi ian paying express charges on delivery.

Prepared by THE NUTEOLACTIS COMPANY, OfBce, 36 Eaot 14th Street, New York City.



218 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES.

BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS
AND HOMES.

NEW YORK CITY.*

(MANHATTAN AND BRONX.)

Aguilar Aid Society (1890). Provides the up-town Hebrew poor
with necessary supplies, fuel, food and clothing. Supported by
voluntary coutributions. Miss M. Roseuzweig, Secretary, 249 E.
110th Street.

Almshouse, Blackwell's Island. For infirm adult persons en-
tirely destitute. There is one for each sex. Apply to Superintend-
ent of Outdoor Poor, northwest corner 11th st. and Third avenue.

Almshouse Hospital. A department of the above, for sick in-
mates of the Almshouse only. Also, Hospital for Incurables.

Association for Befriending Children and Young Girls (in-
corporated 1870), 134 to 138 Second ave. To rescue children of dis-
solute parents in the city of New York from evil influences by
providing homes where the most necessitous and exposed may be
cared for, and by gathering them daily for religious and secular
instruction. Supported by voluntary contributions, labor and
public school fund. Maintains the

House of the Holy Family, where children from three years
and over are received, instructed and placed in homes, and young
girls voluntarily committing themselves for reformation, for not
less tban six mouths, receive religious, secular and industrial in-
struction. These two classes are kept separate, and no charge
made for either. Accommodates 150. In charge of the Sisters of
Divine Compassion. Visiting days, every day except Sunday.
Apply «laily at the House.

Association for the Benefit of Colored Orphans (1837), 143d
St. and Boulevard. Receives both sexes between the ages of two
and ten years, and provides for them gratuitously, except those
entrusted to the institution by a parent or guardian, who must pay
75 cents per week, with the privilege of withdrawing them at the
age of twelve. Full orjihans are indentured into families or trades
at the same age. Accommodation for 315. Apply at the Asylum.

* For further particulars regarding these Institutions, please see Directory
of the Charity Organization Societj-, to the editor of which we are indebted for
valuable information — Editor.



BENKVOLEXT SOCIETIES, A8YLUMS AND HOMES. 219

Association for the Relief of Respectable A^ed Indigent Fe-
males (1815), 104tli st. and Amsterdam ave. Maintains a liorae for
gentlewomen of the class indicated in the title. Applicants nanst
be sixty years old or over, and have satisfactory testimonials as to
cliaracter and condnct. Those admitted pay $2U0 entrance fee, and
make over to the Association all their real and personal property.
None received who have lived as servants. Apply to the Commit-
tee for Receiving Applications, at the Home, on third Thnrsday of
each month.

Asylum for Indigreiit Blind (Pub. Char ), Blackwell's Island. A
department of the Almshouse, two wards each in the male and fe-
male divisions being assigned to the class named. Apply to Su-
perintendent of Outdoor Poor, northwest corner 11th st. and Third
ave.

Asylum of St. Vincent de Paul (1868), 215 W. 39th st. For
reception and education of destitute orphans and half-orphans ol
both sexes, preferably of French birth or parentage. Accommo-
dates about 250. Apply at the Asylum to the Mother Superior.

Asylum and Industrial School of the Sisters of St. Dominic

(1877*), Convent, 137 2d st. Asylum at Blauveltville, Rockland
Co.jN.Y. For destitute children. Accommodates 250. Apply at
the convent as above.

Baptist Home Society of the City of Kew York (1869), 68th
St., bet. Park and Lexington aves. Provides aged, infirm, or des-
titute members of Baptist churches with board, clothing, medical
attendance and religious privileges. At their death, a respectable



Online LibraryDaniel Hazeltine PostMedical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1898) → online text (page 46 of 55)