Daniel Hazeltine Post.

Medical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1900) online

. (page 59 of 67)
Online LibraryDaniel Hazeltine PostMedical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1900) → online text (page 59 of 67)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


church to which they belong. An entrance fee of $100 is re-
quired, save in exceptional cases, and a transfer of all property
to the Home. Capacity for 89 inmates. No colored persons
received. Supported by voluntary contributions, entrance fees,
etc. Apply to the Committee on Admissions.

Bethany Institute for "Women's Christian Work, 105 E.
17th st. Provides instruction for women who desire to enter
upon Christian work, either as missionaries, Bible-readers, or
nurses. Lectures by clergymen and physicians.

Bethany Lodging House for Homeless Women (1893), 19
2d st. A temporary refuge for women who have become desti-
tute and homeless through sickness or misfortune. Accommo-
dates 30.



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES. U12-".

Bloomingdale Asylum for the Insane (1771), White Tin ins.
X. Y. For curative treatment of the insane. Receives only
patients able to pay. Terms, $5 to $40 a week for board and
treatment. Accommodates about 300. Apply to the Asylum
Committee at 8 W. 16th st

Chapin Home for the Aged and Infirm (1800), 151 E. 66th

st. For respectable aged and infirm men and women in re-
duced circumstances. Applicants must be not less than sixty-
five years of age and residents of New York. An admission
fee of $300 required and $5 physician's examination lee. and
must surrender their property. Accommodates about 65. Per-
sons occasionally received as boarders at $5 per week. Apply
to the Committee on Applications, through the Matron, before
second Wednesday of each month.

Charity Organization Society of the City of New York.
Offices in the United Charities Building, 105 E. 22d st. Organ-
led 18S2. Objects: To be a centre of intercommunication be-
tween the various churches and charitable agencies in this
city. To foster harmonious co-operation between them, and to
check the evils of the overlapping of relief. To investigate
thoroughly and without charge the cases of all applicants for
relief which are referred to the Society for inquiry, and to
send the persons having a legitimate interest in such cases
full reports of the results of investigation. To provide visitors
who shall personally attend cases needing counsel and advice.
To obtain from the proper charities and charitable individuals
suitable and adequate relief for deserving cases. To procure
work for the poor persons who are capable of being wholly or
partially self-supporting. To repress mendicity by the above
means and by the prosecution of imposters. To promote the
general welfare of the poor by social and sanitary reforms,
and by the inculcation of habits of providence and self-depen-
dence. It is not an almsgiving society, and its work is com-
pletely severed from all questions of religion, polities and
nationality. It is a clearing house of registration and exper-
ience for all the charitable activities of the metropolis.

Children's Aid Society (1855), 103 E. 22d st. For the eleva-
tion of the poor, by gathering children who attend no schools
into the industrial schools, caring and providing for homeless
children in lodging houses, and in procuring homes for them
in the rural districts and at the West. Supports twenty-one
industrial schools, thirteen night schools, seven lodging houses,
free reading rooms, workshops and summer homes. West
Side Lodging House, 231 W. 32d st.



224 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES.

Children's Fold (1867), St. Nicholas ave. and 155th st. Re-
ceives homeless children, especially those recommended by the
clergy of the Protestant Episcopal Church. Apply to any
Protestant Episcopal clergyman, or at the Home.

Deborah Nursery and Child's Protectory (1878), 97 and 103
East Broadway. Receives, cares for, and educates poor and
destitute Hebrew children between the ages of two and four-
teen years, regularly committed by the legal authorities; also
such other children as aforesaid as the Society may deem pru-
dent to take charge of. Apply at 95 East Broadway.

Eighth Ward Mission (1877), 49 Macdougal st. Cares for
and educates orphan boys too old to be retained in institutions
and unable to support themselves; also maintains an industrial
school for poor girls. Apply at the Home.

Five Points House of Industry (1854), 155 Worth st. De-
voted mainly to the preservation of children from suffering
and crime. Furnishes a home, support, and instruction for
neglected and abandoned children. Also boards children of
poor parents at a nominal rate. Has also day scholars, who
are both fed and taught. Temporarily relieves urgent adult
cases, living in the vicinity, in their homes. Apply to the
Superintendent, as above, at all hours of the day.

Five Points Mission (1856), 63 Park st. Supports mission-
aries to labor among the poor, especially in the " Five Points'";
provides food, clothing, and necessaries for them; educates
poor children and provides for their comfort; maintains a
school; and performs kindred acts of charity and benevolence.

Florence Crittenton Home (1893), 140 E. 14th st. To assist
respectable girls and women while working or seeking em-
ployment. Maintains a comfortable boarding house at moder
ate rates. Capacity for 20. Apply at the Home.

Florence Night Mission (1833), 21 Bleecker st. For the
rescue and reformation of fallen women by means of social,
religious meetings held late at night, by tract distribution, and
by personal influence with those gathered into the meetings.
Apply at the Mission at any hour of the day or evening.

Free Home for Destitute Girls (1870), 23 E. 11th st. Affords
gratuitous shelter for indigent and destitute females; provides
a temporary home for poor and friendless girls, from thirteen
to twenty-five years old, who are exposed to the temptations
of the city, and after instruction provides them with positions
in Christian families. Apply at the Home.



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND IIOMES. 225

Friends' Employment Society (1862). Meeting house on
Rutherford pi. (bet. E. 16th and E. 17th sts.) Gives relief to
the poor by employment in sewing. Apply as above.

Guilds of Trinity Parish (1887), 209 Fulton st. For the
poor.

Hartley House (18 ( J7), 411-413 West 46th st. Under the
management of the New York Association for Improving the
Condition of the Poor. Resident head, Miss Helen French
Greene. During the lirst year of its work, the Settlement re-
ceived over 36,000 visits from the people in its neighborhood.
The total attendance of children and mothers at its various
clubs and classes now averages about 250 per day, or in the
aggregate about 7,000 per month. There are eight cooking
classes at the Settlement, twelve sewing classes, two choral
classes, three dancing classes, three city history classes, three
girls' calisthenic classes, one working girls' club, four boys'
clubs, a carpenter shop, a printing shop, a gymnasium, and
two large kindergartens, also a library of 900 volumes, and a
penny provident bank with 600 depositors. During the year
2,800 friendly visits were made to the children's homes by the
members of the Hartley House staff.

Hebrew Benevolent and Orphan Asylum Society (I860),
Amsterdam ave. and 13th st. Is a constituent of the United
Hebrew Charities. Maintains an asylum for the support, edu-
cation and industrial training of Hebrew orphans and half-
orphans of both sexes. Capacity, 700. Supported by voluh.
tary contributions and city funds.

Hebrew Free Burial Society, 128 Second ave. Applications
with physician's certificate, must be made from 7 to 8 a.m. and
5 to 7 p.m.

Hebrew Infant Asylum (1895), 400 Mott ave. For the care
of orphan children under five years, of the Hebrew faith.
Apply at the home.

Hebrew Sheltering Guardian Society (1879), Eleventh ave.
and 151st st. For the care of poor and neglected Jewish
children from two to fifteen years of age.

Helping Hand Association (1870), 420 W. 54th st. Desti-
tute women are provided with employment and aided toward
support. Apply from November to April, from 2 to 5 P.M.

Hiram Deats Memorial Home for Children (1893), 53 Wash-
ington sq. S. Cares for and educates a limited number of
needy children under twelve years of age.



226 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES.

Home for Aged and Infirm Deaf Mutes, near Poughkeepsie
(1872). Office, 9 W. 18th st. Receives those unable, by dis-
ease or old age, to support themselves. National in its charac-
ter.

Home for Aged and Infirm Hebrews (1872), 125 W. 105th
st. For aged and infirm Hebrews of both sexes. Also gives
some outdoor relief in the way of meals. Applicants for ad-
mission to the Home must be over sixty years of age and resi-
dents of the city for over five years. Accommodates now
about 175. Apply by letter to the Executive Board.

Home for Incurables (P. E.) (1865), Fordham, New York
City. For incurables of the better class, without regard to
religious belief. Consumptives received. A special ward for
cancer cases. Accommodations for 180. Ordinary charge $6
per week. One-third of the beds are free. Apply to the Super-
intendent, on forms to be had on request.

Home for Old Men and Aged Couples (1872), 487 Hudson st.
A home for those indicated, in reduced circumstances, having
been members of the Protestant Episcopal Church. Admis-
sion fee, $250. Apply to the Committee on Admissions,
through the Chairman at the Home.

Home for Aged Women (1869), 330 Sixth ave. For mem-
bers of the Church of the Holy Communion (P. E.). Under
charge of the Sisters of the Church.

Home for the Aged of the Little Sisters of the Poor (1871),
313 E. 70th st., and 135 W. 106th st. For the aged and help-
less of both sexes and of every denomination. Must be over
sixty years of age and destitute. Admission free. Accommo-
dates 500. Application can be made any day to the Mother
Superior.

Home for the Friendless (1849), 32 E. 30th st. Visits and
gives relief in sickness, furnishing nurses to those under the
care of the Society, and obtaining admission to hospitals when
desirable. Has an employment bureau to furnish women with
sewing to do in their own homes; also, a widows' fund which
pensions old employees. Supported by voluntary contributions
and public school fund. Apply at Home at any hour of the
day. Maintains the following:

Home School, at 29 E. 29th st, and twelve industrial schools
in various parts of the city, in which children are retained
until admissible to the grammar department of the public
schools. The children in these schools are those whose fam-
ilies are too poor to clothe them properly for the public schools,
and who from various circumstances must be irregular in their
attendance.



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES. 227

Hospital Saturday and Sunday Association of New York
City (1880). To develop and perpetuate the general collection
in the several churches, synagogues, and the community a1
large of funds for the hospitals of New York City. Funds are
distributed among the different hospitals of the Association
without regard to sect or creed. Frederick F. Cook, agent,
105 E. 22d st.

House of Mercy (1855) (P. E.), Inwood. For the reception
and reformation of destitute and fallen women, either volun-
tarily entering or committed by a magistrate. Under the
charge of Sisterhood of St. Mary. Apply at the House or to
any police justice.

House of Refuge (1824), Randall's Island. Under the charge
of Society for the Reformation of Juvenile Delinqui
Secretary's office, 120 Broadway. A reformatory, giving in-
dustrial instruction and common school education. Receives,
only upon commitment of police magistrate and courts of law
in New York City and Hudson River counties (first three judi-
cial districts), any child under sixteen years of age complained
of and convicted for being disorderly, vagrant or criminal.

House of the Good Shepherd (1853) (R. C), foot of E. 90th
st. Under the charge of Sisters of our Lady of Charity of the
Good Shepherd. For the reformation of inebriate and fallen
women, and the care of those who may be in danger of falling.
Young women from any part of the country received without
regard to creed or nationality. Capacity for 1,042. Apply at
any hour at the House.

House of the Holy Comforter, Free Church Home for In-
curables (1879) (P. E.), 355 W. 23d st. For the care of desti-
tute Protestant women and female children of the better class,
suffering from incurable diseases. Apply at the House at any
time.

Howard Mission and Home for Little "Wanderers (1SG4),
204 5th st. For destitute children; feeds, clothes, educates
and trains them for lives of usefulness. Helps poor and
worthy parents in their homes, and provides for the sick.
Also, gives a temporary home to homeless children until other-
wise provided for. Has weekly religious meetings for young
women, young men, mothers and children, and a Sunday school
for children every Sunday afternoon. Apply at the Mission.

Industrial Christian Alliance (1891), 170 Bleecker st. To
help men to help themselves by taking them from the streets,
giving them a temporary home and employment, and fitting
them for self-support in the ranks of regular labor.



228 BEXEVOLEXT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES.

Institution for the Improved Instruction of Deaf Mutes
(1867), Lexington ave. and 67th st. Deaf mute children, from
six to sixteen, are taught to use articulate sounds. Pupils able
to pay are charged $400 per annum. Others admitted on order
of Commissioners of Charities and Correction or Superinten-
dent of Public Instruction. Apply to the Principal at the In-
stitution.

Institution of Mercy (1S54), 81st St., between Madison and
Fourth aves. Under the charge of the Sisters of Mercy (R.
C). For the care and protection of destitute young women of
good character, to train them to useful pursuits, and secure
employment. The Sisters also visit, relieve and instruct the
sick and dying poor in their own homes.

Isaac T. Hopper Home (1845), 110 Second ave. Helps the
liberated prisoner by advice and encouragement, provides her
with work, home and employment, and keeps a watch over
her. Apply to the Receiving Committee, through the Matron,
at any time.

Isabella Heimath (formerly Isabella House Society) (1889),
Amsterdam ave. and 190th st. A home for the care and main-
tenance of aged indigent persons over sixty years of age, with-
out distinction of sex, creed, color or nationality. Is also a
hospital and dispensary for chronic invalids and for convales-
cents. Any qualified person deemed worthy is taken free of
charge. Apply to the Committee on Admissions at the Home.

Ladies' Union Relief Association (1867). For the care and
relief of the sick and disabled soldiers of the late war and
their families and of the widows and orphans of those who fell
in the late war. Meets on the first Wednesday in each month
from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., when applications are received.

Leake Dole of Bread. A bequest left by the late John
Leake. A weekly dole of sixty-seven loaves is made every
Saturday to the poor of St. John's Church, 46 Varick st.

Leake and "Watts Orphan Home (1843), Yonkers, N. Y. A
free home for full orphans in destitute circumstances, between
the ages of three and twelve. Must be bodily and mentally
sound. Indentured or returned to relatives at the age of
fifteen. Apply to the Superintendent at the House or to the
Rector of Trinity Church.

Little Mothers' Aid Association (1890), 57 Third ave. To
provide summer-day excursions for little girls obliged to take
care of younger children while their parents are at work.



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES. 229

Manhattan East Side Mission (1875), 416 to 422 E. 26th st.
Distributes fruit and flowers among the inmates of public hos-
pitals. It also supports a coffee house at 420 E. 26th St., where
convalescents from the hospitals and other institutions on
Blackwell's Island, and others of small means, can obtain re-
freshments at moderate cost. Has also lodging house for men
and women attached. Apply as above.

Marti Charity Association (incorp. 1896). Emilio Agra-
monte, president; Felix S. Quintana, treasurer. Office, 110
Lexington ave. This Association has for its main purpose to
aid and relieve the many destitute families who suffer in con-
sequence of the Cuban War for Independence. To relieve the
needy, to cure the sick, to endeavor to find work for the
healthy, to feed the hungry and to supply the means where-
with to bury the dead. These are the objects of this society.

Messiah Home for Little Children (1889), 4 Rutherford pi.
Provides a home for children of working mothers, or orphans,
from two to ten years of age, or an emergency shelter for those
temporarily homeless.

Methodist Episcopal Church Home (1851), Amsterdam ave.
and 92d st. A home for aged and infirm members of the
Methodist Episcopal churches of New York City without
means or relatives able to provide for them. Applicants must
have been members of the M. E. church for ten years and of a
city church for five years. No admission fee is required. All
articles brought into the Home becomes its property. Appli-
cants having money or property must secure the same to the
institution. Apply through the officers of the congregation to
which candidate belongs, three months before entrance.

Midnight Mission (186S) (P. E.), 20S W. 46th st. For the
reclamation of fallen women. Iiooms open at all times for
conversation and advice.

Montefiore Home (1884), Grand Boulevard and 138th st. For
chronic diseases only. Contains 140 beds. Receives Hebrews
of both sexes discharged not cured from hospitals.

"Nazareth," Branch of New York Foundling Hospital,
Spuj'ten Duyvil. For needy and homeless mothers and child-
ren. Accommodates 170.

New York Association for Improving the Condition of the
Poor (1848), 105 E. 22d st. For the discouragement of indis-
criminate almsgiving, and aiding worthy families and persons
who may be temporarily distressed. Apply at the office as
above. Office hours, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.



230 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES.

New York Catholic Protectory (1862), Westchester, West-
chester Co. Office, 415 Broome st. Cares for destitute Catho-
lic children as follows: First, children under fourteen years
of age and entrusted for protection or reformation. Second,
those between seven and fourteen committed as idle, truant,
vicious, or homeless by a police magistrate. Third, those of a
like age transferred by the Commissioners of Charities and
Correction. Boys' Protectory is in charge of the Brothers of
the Christian Schools. The boys are educated and taught
trades. Girls' Protectory is in charge of the Sisters of Charity.
The girls are educated and taught industrial employments.
Apply to Superintendent of the House of Reception, 415
Broome st.

New York City Asylum for the Insane, Ward's Island.
Cares for destitute insane whose friends cannot provide for
them in private asylums.

New York City Lunatic Asylum, Blackwell's Island. Cares
for destitute insane females whose friends cannot provide for
them in private asylums.

New York City Lunatic Asylum, Hart's Island. Is a
branch of the New York City Lunatic Asylum, Blackwell's
Island, for females. See above.

These Lunatic Asylums now in charge of the State Lunacy
Commission, under the title of the Manhattan State Hospital
for the Insane. Office, Metropolitan Life Insurance Building,
23d st. and Madison ave.

New York Diet Kitchen Association (incorp. 1873). For
providing nourishing food, such as beef-tea, milk, rice and oat-
meal, free, for the destitute sick. The food shall be issued
upon the written requisitions of House and Visiting Physi-
cians of the Dispensaries of the city. Mrs. Wallace Freeman
Peck, Sec'y, 22 E. 55th st. Its kitchens are located as follows:
East Side Dispensary District, 347 Second ave.; Northwestern
Dispensary District, cor. 36th st. and Ninth ave.; New York
Dispensary District, Centennial Kitchen, 137 Centre St.; No. 4,
627 E. 5th st., between avenues C and D.

New York Female Assistance Society (1840), 29th st., corner
Fifth av. Relieves the sick poor without regard to color or
nation. Assistance given in necessary articles. Has a branch
society called the Dorcas Society, which makes the garments
given.

New York Foundling Hospital (1860), 175 E. 68th st. Cares
primarily for foundlings born in this city. It has also a Lying-
in Department, where destitute or tempted married women



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES. 231

are received; where unmarried women, pregnant for the first
time, are sheltered; and where strangers who can afford to
pay, but do not wish to remain at a hotel or boarding house
during confinement, may be cared for. The charge for the
latter class varies from $6 to $50 a week for board and $40
to $50 reception fee. Patients in the wards pay $3 per week
and $25 reception fee. These must remain for at least three
months as wet nurses. Apply to the Hospital at any hour of
the clay.

New York Home for Convalescents (1880), 433 E. 118th st.
Furnishes a temporary free home for Protestant female con-
valescents from the hospitals and for those who from over-
work are on the verge of illness. Address the Corresponding
Secretary at the Home.

New York House and School of Industry (1851), 120 TV.
16th st. Assists infirm and destitute women by giving them
employment in needlework at a fair remuneration. Maintains
a sewing school for the young. Unsectarian. Apply from
9 a.m. to 6 P.M.

New York Infant Asylum (1865), Amsterdam av. and 61st
st. For the protection and care of unmarried women (not
courtezans) pregnant for the first time; for needy mothers and
their infants; for foundlings and other needy children two
years of age and under, without regard to race, creed or color.
Also takes young girls to board during confinement at $5 a
week. Maintains a

Country Home and Nursery at Mt. Vernon, Westchester
Co. Accommodates 150 women and 400 children.

New York Institution for the Blind (1831), Ninth ave., cor-
ner 34th st. For education of the blind from eight to twenty-
five years of age. Accommodates 200. Apply at the Institu-
tion.

New York Institution for the Instruction of the Deaf and
Dumb (1817), West 162d st. For the class named in the title.
Accommodates 500. Children from six to twelve are admitted
by application to the Commissioners of Charities and Correc-
tion, and persons from twelve to twenty-five upon application
to the Superintendent of Public Instruction, Albany. Board-
ers, $300 per annum; day pupils, $100 per annum. Apply also
to the Superintendent at the Institution.

New York Juvenile Asylum (1S51), 176th st. and Amster-
dam ave. Office and House of Reception, 61 W. 13th st. Is a
reformatory for truant and disobedient children of both sexes,
residents of the city, between the ages of seven and fourteen



232 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES.

years, committed by a magistrate or surrendered by parents
or guardians. It also provides homes in the country for friend-
less or surrendered children. Accommodates 800 at Asylum
and 100 at House of Reception. Apply at House of Reception
at any hour of the day.

New York Magdalen Benevolent Society (1851). Supports
an Asylum, 139th st. and North River, for the reclamation of
fallen women, who remain during good behavior. Apply at
above at any time of day and night.

New York Protestant Episcopal City Mission Society
(1833), 38 Bleecker st. Maintains religious services, ward visi-
tations, and bedside ministrations in the public institutions of
the city and adjacent islands, and provides a free reading
room for young men at 38 Bleecker st. Also gives daily relief
at the office, but especially at St. Barnabas' House, 304 and 306
Mulberry st. (which it owns and sustains), without distinction
of creed, race, or color. Apply as above. Office hours, 9.30
a.m. to 4.30 P.M.

New York Red Cross Institute (1892), 233 W. 100th st. Acts
under the direction of the American National Red Cross. Pro-
vides attendance and nursing for the sick, regardless of na-
tionality, creed or sex. The sick are attended at their own
homes, if offering necessary conveniences, otherwise they are
accepted at the infirmary, which contains 18 beds.

Olivet Helping Hand (1870), 63 2d st. Furnishes work to
destitute women at fair prices. Pay given in garments and
groceries. Meets Tuesdays, 1.45 p.m.

Orphans' Home and Asylum of the Protestant Episcopal
Church (1859), 49th St., between Fourth and Lexington aves.
Orphans and half-orphans from three to eight years of age
are received. No charge. Accommodates about 140. Apply
at the Home on Fridays at 2 p.m.

Orphan Asylum Society (1807), Riverside Drive and W. 73d



Online LibraryDaniel Hazeltine PostMedical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1900) → online text (page 59 of 67)