Daniel Hazeltine Post.

Medical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1905) online

. (page 61 of 70)
Online LibraryDaniel Hazeltine PostMedical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1905) → online text (page 61 of 70)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


cal and surgical diseases of women and children.

Attending Staff — R. O. Phillips, R. R. Trotter, R. P. Fay, H. G. Keith. Con-
sulting Staff— F. E. Doughty, E. G. Tuttle, C. H. Helfrich.

St. John's Riverside Hospital (1870), Ashburton ave.

Attending Surgeons — "W. H. Sherraan, D. John, S. E. Getty. Attending Phy-
sicians — W. S. Coons, S. F. Leo, C. W. Buckmaster, J. B. Kowenhoven. Con-
sulting Surgeon — L. A. Stimson, Consulting Physician — E. G. Janeway, Con-
sulting Gynecologist — G. M. Edebohls. Consulting Laryngologist — W. K. Simp-
son. Consulting Orthopedic Surgeon — T. H. Myers. Consulting Ophthalmolo-
gist — C. W. Cutler. Consulting Neurologist — P. Bailey. Bacteriologist — W. D.
Home. Pathologist — E. E. Smith. Superintendent — Miss Traylen.

Out-Patient Department. — Open daily, 11 to 1.

St. Joseph's Hospital (1870), cor. South Broadway and Vark st.
Under charge of Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul. Patients
of all religious denominations admitted. Board for those able to
pay $6 per week and upward. Private wards, $10 per week. Pri-
vate rooms, $15 to $30 per week. Patients unable to pay admitted
free. No contagious diseases. Application to be made to the
Sister in charge. Maintains a training school for nurses.

Consulting Surgeons — P. A. Callan, J. D. Bryant, F. S. Dennis. Consulting
Physicians — V. Browne, E. L. Keyes, J. E. "Winters. Consulting Gynecologists
— J. D. Emmet, J. R. Goffe. Consulting Dermatologist — G. H. Fox. Con-
sulting Laryngologist and Rhinologist — F. J. Quinlan. Consulting Neurologist
— Jos. Collins. Surgeons and Physicians — A. C. Benedict, E. I. Harrington,
E. M. Hermance, N. A. Warren, H. Moffat, E. F. Duffy, G. S. Mooney, J. L.
Porteous, J. T. Gibson. Pathologist — F. W. Shipman. House Physician — W.
B. Van Alstyne. Assistant — W. B. Macbean.



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES 511

BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS
AND HOMES.

NEW YORK CITY.

For further particulars regarding these Institutions please see Directory
of the Charity Organization Society, to the editor of which we are indebted
for valuable information. — Editor.

(MANHATTAN AND BRONX.)

Amelia Relief Society (organized 1896), 1586 Lexington ave. To
give relief of every kind to worthy poor, after investigation; in dis-
trict north of 101st st. to 105th st., from Fifth ave. to East River.
Co-operates with United Hebrew Charities.

Physician — L. S. Sobel.

Association for the Relief of Respectable, Aged, Indigent Females
(1815), 104th st. and Amsterdam ave. Maintains a home for gen-
tlewomen of the class indicated in the title. Applicants must be
sixty years old or over, and have satisfactory testimonials as to
character and conduct. Those admitted pay $200 entrance fee,
and make over to the Association all their real and personal prop-
erty. Accommodates 90. None received who have lived as ser-
vants. Apply to the Committee for Receiving Applications, at the
Home, on third Thursday of each month, at 11 a. m., except during
June, July, August and September.

Physicians — E. J. Ware, E. E. Swift, T. R. Pooley. Consultants — F. Burrell,
C. W. Packard.

Asylum for Indigent Blind (Pub. Char.), BlackwelPs Island. A
department of the New York City Home for the Aged and Infirm,
two wards each in the male and female divisions being assigned to
the class named. Apply to Superintendent of Bureau of Dependent
Adults, foot of East 26th st., from 8.30 a. m. to 4.30 p. m.

Asylum of St. Vincent de Paul (1868), 215 W. 39th st. For recep-
tion and education of destitute orphans and half -orphans of both
sexes, preferably of French birth or parentage. Accommodates
about 220. Applv to the President, Very Rev. Theo. Wucher, 120
W. 24th St.

Physicians — G. G. Van Schaick, J. S. Sauvalle. Oculist — A. Strouse. Den-
tist — T. Albright.

Asylum and Industrial School of the Sisters of St. Dominic (1877).
Asylum at Blauvelt, Rockland Co., N. Y. For destitute children.
Accommodates 250. Apply at the convent as above.

Baptist Home Society of the City of New York (1869), 68th st.,
bet. Park and Lexington aves. Pro^ddes aged, infirm or destitute
members of Baptist churches with a home. At their death, a respee-



512 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES

table burial is given. Applicants must have been members in good
standing of a Baptist church in New York City for the preceding five
years and be recommended by the church to which they belong.
An entrance fee of $200 is required, save in exceptional cases, and
a transfer of all property to the Home. Capacity for 100 inmates.
No colored persons received. Supported by voluntary contribu-
tions, entrance fees, etc.

Visiting Physicians — George W. Bogart and H. Everett Russell.

Bloomingdale (Psycopathic Branch, N. Y. Hospital) (1771), Wliite
Plains, N. Y. For curative treatment of the insane. Receives only
patients able to pay. Terms, $10 to $40 a week for board and treat-
ment. Accommodates about 350. Apply to Samuel B. Lyon, M.D.,
Medical Superintendent, at Bloomingdale, or 10 W. 16th st., at noon.

Catholic Girls' Club. Directed by the Sisters of the Divine Com-
passion, 52 and 54 East 126th st., New York. Social, mental and
religious advancement of self-depending girls.

Chapin Home for the Aged and Infirm (1869), 151 E. 66th st.
For respectable aged and infirm men and women in reduced circum-
stances. Applicants must be not less than sixty-five years of age.
An admission fee of $300 required, $5 physician's examination fee,
a burial fee of $50, and surrender of property. Accommodates
about 65. Apply to the Committee on Applications, through the
matron, before second Wednesday of each month.

Physicians — J. B. Garrison, I. P. Sherman, M. Rosenberg, W. N. Harrison.
Consultants — Q. M. Yale, R. H. M. Dawbarn.

Charity Organization Society of the City of New York. Offices in
the United Charities Building, 105 E. 22d st. Organized 1882.
Objects: To be a center of intercommunication between the various
churches and charitable agencies in this city. To foster harmonious
co-operation between them, and to check the evils of the overlap-
ping of relief. To investigate thoroughly and without charge the
cases of all applicants for relief which are referred to the Society for
inquiry, and to send the persons having a legitimate interest in such
cases full reports of the results of investigation. To provide visitors
who shall personally attend cases needing counsel and advice. To
obtain from the proper charities and charitable individuals suitable
and adequate relief for deseridng cases. To procure work for the
poor persons who are capable of being wholly or partially self-sup-
porting. To repress mendicity by the above means and by the pros-
ecution of impostors. To promote the general welfare of the poor
by social and sanitary reforms, and by the inculcation of habits of
providence and self-dependence. It is not an almsgiving society,
and its work is completely severed from all questions of religion,
politics and nationality. It is a clearing house of registration and
experience for all the charitable acti^dties of the metropolis. Ten
district offices as follows : Greenwich District, 59 Morton st. ; Corlears



BEXEVOLEXT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AXD HOMES 513

District, 127 Chrvstie st.; Chelsea District, 316 W. 42d st.; Gram-
ercv District, 105 E. 22d st.; Hudson District, 1947 Broadwav;
Kip's Bay District, 208 E. 50th st.; Riverside District, 68 Man-
hattan St.; York\ille District, 1083 Lexington ave.; Harlem Dis-
trict, 15 E. 125th St.; Bronx District, 489 Courtlandt ave. In-
dustrial building containing woodyard and laundry, 516 W. 28th st.
Librarj', Mendicancy Department, Tenement House Committee, and
Committee on Prevention of Tuberculosis. Publishes Charities Direct-
ory, Handbook on prevention of Tuberculosis, Directory of Institu-
tions and Societies dealing with Tuberculosis, and Charities (weekly
review of local and general philanthropy).

Children's Aid Society (1855), 105 E. 22d st. For the elevation of
the poor, by gathering children who attend no schools into the
industrial schools, caring and pro^dding for homeless children in
lodging houses, and in procuring homes for them in the rural dis-
tricts and in the West. Supports 19 day schools, a number of night
schools, seven lodging houses, free reading rooms, workshops and
summer homes.

Colored Orphan Asylum and Association for the Benefit of Colored
Children (1837), 143d st. and Amsterdam ave. Receives both sexes
between the, ages of two and ten years, and pro^^des for them gra-
tuitously, except those entrusted to the institution by a parent or
guardian, who must pay 75 cents per week, ^-ith the pri^^lege of
withdrawing them at the age of twelve. Full orphans are indentured
into families or trades at the same age. Acconmiodation for 315.
Apply at the Asylum.

Physician — E. H. Rogers. Consulting Physicians — W. T. Alexander, H.
Abbe, L. L. Seaman, A. Parker.

Five Points House of Industry (1854), 155 Worth st. Devoted
mainly to the preservation of children from suffering and crime.
Furnishes a home, support, and instruction for neglected and aban-
doned children between the ages of two and a half to thirteen years.
Also boards children of poor parents at a nominal rate. Apply to
the Superintendent, as above, at all hours of the day.

Physician — E. C. Abbott.

Five Points Mission, Old Brewery, New York (1850), 63 Park
st. Supports missionaries to labor among the poor, especially in the
"Five Points"; pro^-ides food, clothing and necessaries for them;
educates poor children and pro^ddes for their comfort; maintams a
school; and performs kindred acts of charity and benevolence. Sup-
erintendent, A. K. Sanford.

Physician — A. Casella.

Florence Home for Working Girls (1893), 140 E. 14th st._ To assist
respectable girls and young women working at small salaries or seek-
ing employment. Maintams a comfortable boarding house at mod-
erate rates. Capacitj" for 20. Apply at the Home.

Matron — Mrs. S. S. Conklin. Physician — Elizabeth Irwin.



514 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES

Florence Crittenton Mission (1883), 21 Bleecker st. For the rescue
and reformation of fallen women by means of religious meetings held
from 8 to 10 every night, by tract distribution, and by personal
influence with those gathered into the meetings and in the Home.
Apply at the Mission at any hour of the day or evening.

Physician — Elizabeth Irwin.

Free Home for Young Girls (1870), 23 E. 11th st. Affords gratui-
tous shelter for indigent and destitute females, provides a temporary
home for poor and friendless girls from thirteen to twenty-five years
old who are exposed to the temptations of the city. Apply at the
Home from 9 a. m. to 9. p. m.

Physicians — W. H. Park, J. W. Brannan.

Friends' Employment Society (1862). Meeting house on Ruther-
furd pi, (bet. E. 15th and E 16th sts.). Gives relief to the poor by
employment in sewing. Apply as above.

Gallaudet Home for Aged and Infirm Deaf Mutes (1872), near
Poughkeepsie. Maintained by Church Mission to Deaf Mutes, 587
West 145th St., New York City. Office, 33 Cannon st: Poughkeep-
sie, N. Y. Receives those unable to support themselves, over the
age of 60.

Physician — S. C. Cornell.

Good Counsel Training School for Young Girls, Good Counsel,
White Plains, N. Y. In charge of the Sisters of the Divine Com-
passion. To prepare young women for self-support or homemaking.
Superior General, Mother M. Clair, R. D. C. Mother House,
Good Counsel, White Plams, N. Y.

Physician — H. E. Schmid.

Guilds of Trinity Parish (1887), 209 Fulton st. For the poor.

Hartley House (est. 1897), 409-411-413 W. 46th st. Social Settle-
ment. Clubs and classes for children; Cooking School; Circulating
Library; Penny Provident Fund Bank, Gymnasium, Playground.
Friendly visiting and professional nursing of the sick poor. Miss
Helen F. Greene, Headworker.

Hebrew Benevolent and Orphan Asylum Society (1860), Amster-
dam ave. and 136th st. It is a constituent of the United Hebrew
Charities. Maintains an asylum for the support, education and
industrial training of Hebrew orphans and half-orphans of both
sexes. Capacity, 1,200. Supported by voluntary contributions and
city funds.

Attending Physician — E. Sanders.

Hebrew Infant Asylum (1895), Eagle ave. and 161st st. For the
care of orphan children under five years, of the Hebrew faith.
Apply at the Home.

Hebrew Sheltering Guardian Society (1879), Broadway and 151st



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES 515

St. For the care of poor and neglected orphan and half-orphan Jew-
ish children from five to sixteen j^ears of age. Capacity for 750.

Visiting Physician — M. A. Gershel, Consulting Physician — M. Winters.

Hiram Deats Memorial Home for Children (1893), Somerville, N.
J. Operated by the Memorial Baptist Church, 53 Washington
sq. S. Cares for and educates a limited number of needy children
between the ages of three and ten years.

Home for Aged and Infirm Hebrews (1872), 125 W. 105th st.
For aged and infirm Hebrews of both sexes. Applicants for ad-
mission to the Home must be over sixty years of age and residents
of the Borough of Manhattan for over three years. Accommodates
300. Apply by letter to the Executive Board.

Visiting Physician — S. N. Leo.

Home for Incurables (1866), Fordham, New York City. For
incurables of the better class, without regard to religious belief.
Consumptives received. Separate rooms for cancer cases. Accom-
modations for 300. Ordinary charge $7 per week. One-third of
the beds are free. Apply to the Medical Superintendent, Israel C.
Jones.

Assistants to the Med. Supt. — J. Vernon Smith, Albert C. Johnson, Wm. B.
Brooks. Consulting Physicians — William T. Bull, Arch. M. Campbell, William
H. Thomson, Geo. F. Shrady. Consulting Gynecologist — Henry D. Nicoll. Con-
sulting Neurologist — Francis A. Scratchley. Consulting Ophthalmologist — C.
Cole Bradley.

Home for Old Men and Aged Couples (1872), n. w. cor. Amsterdam
ave. and 112th st. A home for those indicated, in reduced circum-
stances, having been members of the Protestant Episcopal Church.
Admission fee, $300. Apply to the Committee on Admissions
through the Chairman at the Home.

Physicians — H. S. Houghton, W. H. Morrison, D. W. Hunter.

Home for Aged Women (1869), 41 W. 20th st. For members of
the Church of the Holy Communion (P. E.). Under charge of the
Sisters of the Church.

Home for the Aged of the Little Sisters of the Poor (1871), 213
E. 70th St., and 135 W. 106th st. For the aged and helpless of both
sexes and of every denomination. Must be over sixty years of age
and destitute. Admission free. Accommodates 585. Application
can be made any day to the Mother Superior.

Home for the Friendless of the American Female Guardian Society
(1849), 936 Woody Crest ave., near Jerome ave. and 161st st. Re-
ceives destitute children, boys under ten and girls under fourteen
3'ears of age._ Also cares for children temporarily, until parents are
able to pro\dde for them. Has an employment bureau to furnish
women with sewmg to do in their owti homes. Supported by vol-
untary contributions, a small appropriation from the Cit}^, and chil-
dren's board. Apply at office, between 10 a. m. and 4 p. m. Main-
tains the following:



516 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES

Two Summer Homes, Home School and twelve industrial schools
in various parts of the city, in which children are retained until
admissible to the grammar department of the public schools. The
children in these schools are those whose families are too poor to
clothe them properly for the public schools and who from various
circumstances must be irregular in their attendance.

Physicians — J. F. Land, F. P. Sheldon.

Hospital Saturday and Sunday Association of New York City (1880).
To develop and perpetuate the general collection in the several
churches, synagogues and the community at large of funds for the
hospitals of New York City. Funds are distributed among the dif-
ferent hospitals of the Association without regard to sect or creed.
Frederick F. Cook, Agent, 105 E. 22d st.

House of Mercy (1855) (P. E.), In wood. For the reception and
reformation of destitute and fallen women, either voluntarily enter-
ing or committed by a magistrate. Under the charge of Sisterhood
of St. Mary. Apply at the House or to any city magistrate.

Physicians — F. Peterson, J. W. Brannan. Consulting Physician — J. C. Minor
W. T. Alexander. Ophthalmic Surgeon — D. Webster.

House of Refuge (1824), Randall's Island. Under the charge of
the Managers of the Society for the Reformation of Juvenile
Delinquents in N. Y. C. All communications should be addressed
to House of Refuge, Randall's Island, N. Y. A reformatory,giving
industrial instruction and common school education. Receives only
upon committment of the courts of competent jurisdiction in New
York City and counties of the State any child under 16 years of age
complained of and convicted of being disorderly, vagrant or criminal.
Superintendent, Jos. P. Byers.

Attending Physician — W. G. Eynon. Ophthalmologist — W. W. Gilfillan.

House of Rest for Consumptives (The) (P. E.), 1869. 59 E. 59th
st. Formerly at Tremont, N. Y. Conducts a Home for those suf-
fering from pulmonary tuberculosis, at Inwood, N. Y. Apply to
Geo. F. Sauer, Superintendent, at the Institution.

House of the Good Shepherd (1858) (R. C), foot of E. 90th st
Under the charge of Sisters of the Good Shepherd. For the refor-
mation of inebriate and fallen women, and the care of those who
may be in danger of falling. Young women from any part of the
country received without regard to creed or nationality. Capacity
for 1,042. Apply at any hour at the House.

House of the Holy Comforter, Free Church Home for Incurables

(1879) (P. E.), 139th st. and Riverside Drive. For the care of des-
titute Protestant women and female children of the better class,
suffering from incurable diseases. Apply at the House at any time.
Attending Physician — Chas. H. Smith.



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES 517

House of the Holy Family, 136 Second ave., New York, In charge
of the Sisters of the Divine Compassion. To rescue neglected or
delinquent girls from 14 to 20, to shield them from exposure, to
give moral and industrial training, and to procure suitable emploj^-
ment for them, or restore them to friends. Accommodates 100.
Apply daily at the House.

House Physician — Albert C. Bardes.

Howard Mission and Home for Little Wanderers (1864), 225 E.
11th St. For destitute children; feeds, clothes, educates and trains
them for lives of usefulness. Helps poor and worthy parents in
their homes, and provides for the sick. Also, gives a temporary
home to homeless children until otherwise provided for. Has weekl}-
religious meetings for young women, young men, mothers and chil-
dren, and a Sunday school for children every Sunday afternoon.
Apply at the Mission.

Industrial Christian Alliance (1891), 170 Bleecker st. To help
men to help themselves by taking them from the streets, giving
them a temporary home and employment, and fitting them for
self-support in the ranks of regular labor.

Institution for the Improved Instruction of Deaf Mutes (1867),
Lexington ave. and 67th st. Deaf mute children, from five to
fourteen, are taught by the oral method. Speech and Up reading
taught to all. Scholastic kindergarten and industrial departments.
Pupils not residing in this State are charged $300 per annum. Oth-
ers admitted on order of County Supervisor, Commissioner of Chari-
ties or Commissioner of Education. Apply to the Principal at the
Institution.

Attending Physician — L. M. Michaelis. Consulting Physician — A. Jacobi.
Oculist and Aurist — E. L. Meierhof. Surgeon — Willy Meyer. Dermatologist —
H. Goldenberg. Otologist — William Carr. Dentist — William W. Newton, Jr.

Institution of Mercy (1854), 81st st. and Madison ave. Under the
charge of the Sisters of Mercy (R. C). For the care and protection
of destitute young women of good character, to train them to useful
pursuits, and secure employment. The Sisters also visit, relieve and
instruct the sick and dying poor in their own homes.

Physician in Charge — Geo. H. Cocks. Visiting Physician — C. W. Ellison.

Isaac T. Hopper Home (1845), 110 Second ave. Helps the liber-
ated prisoner by advice and encouragement, provides her with work,
home and employment, and keeps a watch over her. Apply to the
Receiving Committee, through the Matron, at any time.

Attending Physician — A. S. Daniel.

Isabella Heimath (formerly the Isabella House Society (1889),
Amsterdam ave. and 190th st. A home for the care and mainte-
nance of aged indigent persons, males over sixty-five and females
over sixty years of age, without distinction of sex, creed, color or
nationality. Is also a hospital for chronic invalids and for con-



518 BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES

valescents. Any qualified person deemed worthy is taken free of
charge. Apply to the Committee on Admissions at the Home on
Friday afternoons.

House Physician — Martin Rehling.

Ladies' Helping Hand Association (1870), 420 W. 54th st. Desti-
tute women are provided with employment and aided toward sup-
port. Apply from November to April, from 2 to 5 P. M., on Fridays
only.

Ladies' Union Relief Association (1867). For the care and relief
of the sick and disabled soldiers of the late war and their families,
and of the widows and orphans of those who fell in the late war.
Mrs. M. S. Rogers, Treasurer, 46 W. 51st st.

Leake Dole of Bread. A bequest left by the late John Leake.
A weekly dole of sixty-seven loaves is made every Saturday to the
poor of St. John's Chapel, 46 Varick st.

Leake and Watts Orphan House (1831), Yonkers, N. Y. A free
home for full orphans in destitute circumstances, between the ages
of three and twelve. Must be bodily and mentally sound. Inden-
tured or returned to relatives at the age of fifteen. Apply to the
Superintendent at the House or to the Rector of Trinity Church.

Visiting Physician — J. B. Kouwenhoven.

Little Mothers' Aid Association (1890), 236 Second ave. To pro-
vide summer-day excursions for little girls obliged to take care of
younger children while their parents are at work ; also to teach cook-
ing, sewing and the care of the baby. About 5,000 children are cared
for each year. Non-sectarian and supported entirely by voluntary
contributions.

Physician — H. S. Mason.

Little Missionary's Day Nursery. 93 St. Mark's pL, N. Y. City.
For the care of young children of both sexes and all creeds whose
mothers are compelled to do outside work during the day. Furnishes
food, clothing if necessary, and kindergarten instruction. Board, 5
cents a day, where mothers are able to pay. Provides summer ex-
cursions. Temporarily relieves urgent adult cases, living in the
vicinity, in their homes, and performs kindred acts of charity and
benevolence. Accommodates 100. Apply to Miss Sara Curry,
Manager.

Attending Physician — George T. Mundorff, M.D.

Manhattan State Hospital, East, Ward's Island, New York City.
All official communications with regard to the Manhattan State
Hospital, East, should be addressed to the Superintendent. Post-
Office address, Station "U," New York City. Hospital Long Dis-
tance Tel., 1872 Harlem. City office, pier foot of E. 116th st.
Telephone, 254 Harlem. Visiting days, Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays



BENEVOLENT SOCIETIES, ASYLUMS AND HOMES 519

and Saturdays. Passes can be obtained at the Hospital, or at the
pier, foot of"^E. 116th st. J. T. W. Rowe, M.D., Acting Superin-
tendent.

Second Assistant Physician — Louis C. Pettit. Assistant Physicians — Dwight
S. Spellman. John R. Knapp, Clarence F. Haviland, Frank H. Magness.
Junior Physicians — Philip C. Washburn, Frank R. Haviland, Arthur M.
Phillips, James M. Parkinson. Medical Internes — -Adelaide Turner, Hermon
E. Hasseltine.

Manhattan State Hospital, West, Ward's Island, accessible from
foot of E. 116th St., week days 1 p. m. E. C. Dent, M.D., Superin-
tendent.

Assista7it Physicians — C.J. Patterson, H. E. Mereness, Jr., Philip Smith, J. L.
Washburn. Junior Physician — S. W. Hamilton. Medical Internes — S. E.
Douglas, Wm. F. Shaw, M. J. Karpas, S. F. O'Day, H. J. Harp, Jr.

Manhattan State Hospital, Central Ishp, L. I. G. A. Smith, M.D.,
Superintendent.

Physicians and Surgeons — M. B. Heyman, C. G. Brink, H. G. Gibson, I. L.
Walker, R. W. Fowler, E. T. Murray, F. Hinkley, C. B, West, C. L. Vaux,



Online LibraryDaniel Hazeltine PostMedical directory of the City of New York (Volume 1905) → online text (page 61 of 70)