Copyright
Danvers (Mass.). Committee Appointed to Revise the.

Report of the Committee Appointed to Revise the Soldiers' Record online

. (page 10 of 18)
Online LibraryDanvers (Mass.). Committee Appointed to Revise theReport of the Committee Appointed to Revise the Soldiers' Record → online text (page 10 of 18)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and the additional men required to bring it up to the standard immedi-
ately sent forward. Until the 26th of Aug., the regiment did garrison
duty in the forts before Washington but were on that day ordered to
Manassas.

On the 28th a number of the regiment were taken prisoners by the
enemy, but paroled. During the remainder of the year and the next
year the regiment was actively engaged in guarding the defenses before
Washington, etc, In June, 1863, Co.- L was ordered to Winchester



TOWN OF DANVERS. 85

and lost its captain, and 44 men were taken prisoners, thirty-six of
whom rejoined the company, Oct. 14.

On the 15th of May, 1864, the regiment marched to join the army
of the Potomac, and for the remainder of their term of service were
actively engaged at the front participating in the battles of Spottsyl-
vania, North Anna, Tolopotomy, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Strawberry
Plain, Deep Bottom and other engagements. Mustered out the 16th
of Aug., 1865. I Company of this regiment were the Putnam Guards,
a company almost entirely composed of Danvers men. The company
went into camp June 24, 1861, at Fort Warren. Judge A. A. Putnam
of Uxbridge, has published an interesting and valuable account of the
formation and early history of this organization of which he was the
first commander.

2nd Heavy Artillery.

The companies composing this regiment were mustered in at various
dates between Sept , 1863 and Jan., 1864. During its term of service
the regiment was stationed in North Carolina, Newbern, etc., and Vir-
ginia, and the greater part of the regiment was never engaged in bat-
tle.

Companies G and H, about 275 men, were captured at Plymouth,
N. C, and were confined in Andersonville. But thirty-five rejoined the
regiment. Mustered out the 3rd of Sept., 1865.

3rd Regiment, Heavy Artillery.

This regiment was composed of the 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th,
11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th unattached companies of heavy
artillery, of which the first eight were originally raised for, and for a
time were on duty in the coast defenses of this state, but in the fall of
1864 were senc on to Washington and remained on duty in the de-
fences of that city. They were mustered out the 18th of Sept., 1865.

The 13th Co. Unattached Heavy Artillery, Co. L of the 3rd Reg.
were on detached duty as engineers. This company was mostly re-
cruited from the Springfield Armory and received great praise.



Thk Following List is that of Names of Men about
whom the Committee have not satisfactory evidence
to include in the foregoing lists.

Italics indicate that such a name is not found on the rolls at the Adjutant
G-eneral's Department.

i.i en in town reports 1861-5, as a Danvers man.
} Occurs in former report to the town.

*Baker, , " credited to Salem."

^Bradbury, Josiah, " credited to Essex."

XBradbury, William, said to have been a member of 23d regiment,

M. V. M.
Brennan, J W., corp. Co. D, 59th Inf. Gave his residence as Danvers

on hospital roll. There was a John W. living in Danvers prior to

the war. John W. Brennan, corp. Co. H, 59th, appears on the rolls,

as of Harvard.
*Britton, Lewis, "credited to Sharon." There was a Lewis Britton

in town, 1865, who married Maria Wilson.
Butler, Pierce, in. 5 July, 1861, Co. A, 1st H. A. ; reenl. 25 Nov.,

1865; dis. 22 Jan., 1865, died at Ipswich, 22 Jan., 1865. Mt. 20 at

enl. He seems to be an Ipswich man, and was credited to Ipswich.
Byrnes, James, in. 11 Dec, 1863, Co. B, 17th Inf. ; lost at sea, off

Sandy Hook, on way to rejoin regiment, 7 June, 1865. Mt. 37 at

enl. and married. He was a resident of West Peabody, and was

credited to South Danvers.
Clarke, John H., cannot be identified.
*Coleman, Benjamin F., m. 26 May, 1862, Salem Cadets ; dis. 11 Oct.,

1862. Credited to Salem. Mb. 27 at enl.
Collemy, Charles, buried in Danvers ; his grave is yearly decorated by

G. A. R. Post 90.
*Collemy, Levi P., " credited to Haverhill." A Levi T., was a resi-
dent of Danvers iu 1863. His wife was Mary Hutchinson.
Fischer, Charles G., gave while in hospital his residence (or that of

relatives ?) as North Danvers. He was sergt.-major, Co. G, 35th

Inf. ; but "no such person appears on the roll. There was a Charles

Gil m an Fisher, barn in Danvers, 29 Apr., 1849, son of Charles R.

and Sophronia Fisher.
JForrest, William S., in. 30 Sept., 1862, Co. G, 31st Inf. ; dis. 27

July, 1863. Credited to Oxford ; m. 22 Dec, 1863, Co. K, 2d H.

A, corp. ; dis. 3 Sept., 1865. Credited to Oxford. JSt. 42 at enl.

He appears to be an Oxford man.
{Freeze, George A., m. 22 Dec, 1863, Co. K, 2d H. A. ; dis. 3 Sept.,

1865, ex. term. Of East Saugus, credited to Saugus. Mt. 31 at

enl.



r<>WN OF DANVERS. 87

* /fni/ward, George, yet. 28 at enl. N"ot returned by enrolling officer.
Henderson, Edward, " conscript." Mt. 29 at enl. He was dropped at

Long Island.

*Hennessey, Thomas, "New York Regiment."

*Hoivell, James. He was a Danvers man, and is thought to be a mem-
ber of a G. A. R. post in Boston.

JJames, William H., m. 12 Oct., 18G1 ; (Jo. V, 23d Inf. ; dis. 12 Nov.,
1863, disability ; m. 19 Oct., 1864, V. R. C. Credited to Salem.
Probably of Topsfield.

Knights, Charles A., not returned by enrolling officer.

*McLaud (McLeod, Alfred), " credited to Salem." Now of Haverhill.

*Morrison, , " credited to Salem."

Morrison, George M., born in Safford, Me. ; enl. 14 Feb.. 186;". in < o.
A, 1st Batt'y Art. ; dis. 20 Oct., 1865 ; d. 31 July, 1887. Buried in
Danvers.

* Nelson, Henry, " Co. I, 19th Inf." Not found on rolls of that organ-

ization.

*Pearsons, Moses T., " credited to Newbury."

* Peterson, John, '-'reenl. 1st H. A." There was a. John J. Peterson in

the 1st Batt'y H. A. Credited to Duxbury.
*Splane, Edward, " 40th N. Y. Vol."
JTrask Ira F., m. 5 July, 1861, Co. I, 1st H. A. ; reenl 29 Jan., 1864 ;

dis. 16 Aug., 1865, ex. term. Credited to Wen ham. He does not

seem to have been a Danvers resident.
$ Wentworth, Enoch J. He obtained a bounty, but appears never to

have been mustered. Is said to reside in Ipswich.



The Monument erected to the Soldiers and Sailors
in the Last War.

In 1868 steps were taken to arrange for the erection of a monu-
ment with tablets inscribed with the names of the soldiers and
sailors of Dan vers who fell in the war. After various votes in the
two annual town meetings following, it was finally decided in July,
1 870, to erect the monument in front of the town house.

The cost was $6,298.20 of which sum Hon. Edwin Mudge con-
tributed the larger part of his two years salary as representative to
the General Court.

The monument was dedicated 30 Nov., 1870. It is of Hallowell
granite, thirty-three and one quarter feet high. The following
names are inscribed upon the tablets ;

Major, Wallace A. Putnam. Lieutenant, James Hill.



Hector A. Aiken
Henry F. Allen
James Battye
Edwin Beckford
Isaac Bod well
Sylvester Brown
James H. Burrows
Lewis Britton
John H. Bridges
William H. Croft
Simeon Coffin
H. Cuthbertson
Thomas Collins
Wm. H. Channell
Charles W. Dodge
Geo. H. Dwinell
Moses Deland
Wm. C. Dale
Geo. A. Ewell
Geo. W. Earl
Reuben Ellis
Geo. A. Elliott
Wm. S. Evans
Nathaniel P. Fish
Benj. M. Fuller
Ephraim Getchell
E. I. Getchell
William F. Gilford
John Goodwin
C. W. C. Goudy
Alonzo Gray



Daniel H. Gould
Samuel S. Grout
Ambrose Hinds
Levi Howard
James J. Hurley
Thomas Hartman
Abiel A. Home
James H. Ham
Everson Hall
Charles Hiller
T. C. Jeffs
Wm. W. Jessup
James W. Kelley
Moses A. Kent
James E. Lowell
Samuel A. Lefflau
Joseph Leavitt
Charles H. Lyons
Charles E. Header
John Merrill
T. A. Musgrave
James Morgan
Michael McAuliff
Wm. Metzgar
Allen Nourse
Wm. H. Ogden
Wm. H. Parker
(ieo. W. Peabody
J. Frank Perkins
Geo. W. Porter
Samuel M. Porter



Alfred Porter
Robert W. Putnam
Isaac N. Roberts
S. P. Richardson
S. A. Rodgers
Israel Roach
Daniel Smith
Henry A. Smith
Wm. E. Sheldon
(lias. W. Sheldon
John Shackley
Frank Scampton
Cornelius Sullivan
Patrick F. Shea
Joseph T. Smart
Edward Splane
Milford Tedford
Patrick Trainer
Wm. F. Twiss
John N. Thompson
Austin Upton
Angus Ward
Joseph Woods
C. E. M. Welch
George Woodman
John Withey
Nathaniel K. Wells
Geo. T. Whitney
Joseph F. Wiggin
Charles H. Youn«



The photographs from which the accompanying illustration of the monu-
ments was made are from Frank Cousins' collection of historic views.




o


J i


So


1'


> z


£


o s




D O


,


r< z




c




2




m




z




H





'/






SQ




APPENDIX.



Early Military Organizations and Service.



Danvers as a separate district dates only from 1752, but the ter-
ritory now embraced within its limits and much of the towns of
Peabody and Beverly, was early designated as Salem Farms and
later as Salem Village, although that part of the present town
wherein the first substantial improvements were begun by John
Endicott in 1633, was not a portion of Salem Village, but of the
old parish in Salem.

The earliest settlers in Danvers may be presumed to be Richard
Waterman, a hunter, and a certain " Mr." Freeman, both of whose
estates were soon afterward incorporated in the estate of John
Putnam. Waterman came over in 1629 as a hunter ; of Freeman
very little is known except that he was a very early settler near
Beaver Brook. Waterman's land was near Davenport's Hill.

John Endicott was the first to improve a farm in the present
limits of the town. He set to work as early as 1633 to clear the
" Orchard Farm," granted him in the preceding year. From that
time on the grants in the " Farms " are of frequent occurrence and
were immediately occupied by the more energetic. Thus John
Putnam, first on the Plains, and then at Beaver Brook, and Daniel
Rea and others, Davenport, Gardner and Reed, noted military
leaders of their day, found Danvers a promising field for farming
operations and lived here a great part of their time.

So rapid was the settlement and opening up of roads and the coun-
try that soon demands were made by the settlers for a separate parish,
which question was continually agitated till settled favorably in 1672.

In the early Indian wars, men were drawn from this district to
an extent which shows a considerable population of a military spirit.
The General Court ordered, in April, 1631, that every captain
should train his company on Saturday in every week, and various
precautions were taken that the colonists should not expose them-
selves to the danger of attack by Indians. In November, 1632,
monthly training days were appointed, but, five years later, eight
trainings a year were considered sufficient.

In 1636, 13 Dec, the military companies were divided into three
regiments of which the third was composed of the men of Saugus
(now Lynn), Salem, Ipswich and Newbury, of which John Endicott
was appointed colonel and John Winthrop, jr., lieutenant colonel
It was also ordered that in the future each regiment should each
year elect a colonel and lieutenant colonel, and that the several
towns should each choose for the positions of captains and lieuten-
ants of the several companies, some principal man, all whom were
subject to confirmation by the council.



92 EARLY MILITARY ORGANIZATIONS,

Capt. (William) Trask was appointed muster master for the
East or Essex Regiment. It was during the year 1634, at one of
the trainings, that the cross in the colors was cut out. In this
were concerned Davenport and Endicott. The colors at that peri-
od consisted of a green field with a white union having upon it the
red cross of England. On the 25 Aug., 1636, ninety volunteers
agreed to go against the Pequots. They were divided into four
companies, one of which was commanded by Ensign Davenport and
the whole commanded by Endicott. The results of this expedition
were the destruction of much corn and property of the Indians and
the loss of two soldiers, killed. They returned about the 14th of
September.

The following year the military company at Salem was officered
by Capt. William Trask, Lieut. Richard Davenport, and Ensign
Thomas Beede ; and Trask and Davenport, with Salem's quota of
28 men for the Pequot war, joined the Massachusetts force under
Stoughton. The expedition returned Aug. 26, having lost none
killed, although having had a severe encounter with the Indians in
a swamp at Fairfield. After that there were no affairs of conse-
quence to call for military action till the breaking out of the ter-
rible war known as King Philip's War, although on the 20th Aug.,
1664,* 200 volunteers were called for to serve against the Dutch,
and again 10 Dec, 1673, a levy from each county was made, and
ordered to hold themselves in readiness to serve against the Dutch.
The fort at Salem was put in a state of repair. The quota of Es-
sex was 100 foot soldiers and thirty troopers, all of which were to
be commanded by Daniel Dennison. Geo. Corwin had 8 Oct.,
1662, been appointed captain, Thomas Putnam (of the Village)
lieutenant, and Walter Price, corriet of the Troop of horse in
" Lynn, Salem, etc."

Upon the petition of " Sergeant Major General '' Endicott, Wm.
Hathorne, Capt. Robert Bridges, and other gentlemen of Lynn and
Salem, a military company, to be called the " Military company
of Salem and Lynn " was chartered 14 May, 1645. This
company on parade made a dashing appearance. In time interest
flagged, but in Oct., 1678, a successful attempt was made to reor-
ganize and William Brown, jr., was appointed captain, John Put-
nam, formerly corporal in the training band, was chosen lieutenant.

Upham says that among the signers to this petition were An-
thony Needham, Peter and Ezekiel Cheever, Thomas Flint,
Thomas and Benjamin Wilkins, Thomas and Jacob Fuller, John
Proctor, William Osborne, Thomas Putnam, jr., and others of the
Farms. Each of the officers of this troop were wealthy and took
much pride in the display of fine uniforms and trappings.

Again Upham in his admirable history of Salem Village says,
" Another marked feature of this people was their military spirit.

*This year Walter Price was captain, George Gardner, lieutenant, and
Zerubabel Endicott, ensign of the Salem company.



TOWN OF DAN VERS. 93

Authority was early obtained from the General Court to form a
foot company. All adults of every description belonged to it, in-
cluding men much beyond middle life — its officers were the
fathers of the Village. Every title of rank, from corporal to cap-
tain, once obtained, was worne ever after through life." Jonathan
Walcott, a deacon of the church was its captain, Nathaniel Inger-
soll also a deacon, was successively corporal, sergeant, lieutenant.
Thomas Putnam, clerk of the parish, was sergeant. " It was almost
as much thought of as the church, officered by the same persons.
and composed of the same men. It was a common practice, at the
close of a parade, before 'breaking line,' for the captain to give
notices of prayer, church or parish meetings."

King Philip's War.

At the opening of the war the colonial militia was quite effi-
ciently organized. The Essex regiment consisted of thirteen foot
companies, and one cavalry company. There were 73 organized
companies in the Massachusetts colony, besides the " Three County
Troop " made up of men of Suffolk, Middlesex and Essex. The
highest military office was Major-general and held by Daniel
Dennison of Ipswich. The highest regimental officer was a Ser-
geant-major.

The local companies were not sent on active service out of their
towns, but men were impressed from them and placed under officers
especially selected by the Council. Each company of foot had a
captain, lieutenant, ensign, sergeants, clerk, corporals, and drum-
mer. Cavalry companies had a cornet in place of ensign and a
trumpeter, and quartermaster, no drummer. Foot companies were
composed of 70 men, horse 50. On special service it was more.

Upon the commencement of the war, the old matchlock musket
was in use but was exchanged for the flint-lock as being more ser-
viceable. There were no bayonets, but each company had a cer-
tain number of " pikemen." In the campaign culminating in Feb.,
1675-76, and in which the memorable assault was made on the
Narragansett fort, 19 Dec, 1675, the following men from Capt.
George Curwen's company of troopers served in Capt. Prentice's
troop of horse, Stephen Haskel, Thomas Putnam, jr.,* Charles
Blinkoe, John Richards, Thomas Howard, Nathaniel Ballard, jr.,
William Dodge, jr., John Edmonds, William Merriam, Thomas
Flint, Sr.f, also Joseph Hutchinson and Henry Kenney.J

*Thomas Putnam, son of Thomas, and grandson of John. He is the
sergeant Thomas, whose daughter Ann was one of the unfortunates concerned
in the Witchcraft delusion a few years later. He married Ann Can. He was
b. 12 Mar., 1652-3 and died 24 May, 1699.

tThomas Flint, son of Thomas and Ann Flint. It is said he was wounded
at the fight in the swamp against the Narragansetts. He married Hannah
Moulton who died 30 Mar., 1673, and again 15 Sept., 1674, Mary Dounton. He
died 24 May, 1721, a3t. about 76.

JHenry Kenny served under Capt, John Whipple of Ipswich in June, 1676.
near Springfield.



94 EARLY MILITARY ORGANIZATIONS,

The names of Kenny, Hutchinson, Howard, Putnam and Flint
are those of Danvers men.

The following names of men who served under Capt. Nicholas
Page, in his company of troopers are familiar to Danvers ears,
Joseph Proctor, Nathaniel Ingersoll, William Osborn, Joseph
Needham, Francis Coard (Caird?), Benjamin Wilkins, John
Whipple* (lieut.), Daniel Wilkins. As no places of residence
are given we do not here attempt to identify the families to whom
they belonged. This troop accompanied Major Thomas Savage in
an expedition against Mt. Hope, June to Sept., 1675.

In Mar., 1675-6, a levy of 48 men from Essex Co., and 40 from
Norfolk Co., was made to reenforce Major Willard at Groton.
These men' were placed under command of Capt. Joseph Cook of
Cambridge. They arrived at Groton the 14th of March, shortly
after the destruction of that place.

Bloody Brook.

When Capt. Thomas Lothrop and 71 of his men, almost entirely
from the county of Essex, were slain by the Indians at Bloody
Brook, 18 Sept., 1675, the consternation throughout the county was
general.

Lothrop was among the rate payers of the parish at Salem Vil-
lage when it was set off from Salem, but his residence was in the
present town of Beverly.

Upham says " No man was ever more identified with the history
of Salem Farms.'' He was constantly engaged in military service
either against the Indians or the French. The following names of
inhabitants of the Farms are found among the list of slain at
Bloody Brook.

Thomas Bayley, Thomas Buckley,

Edward Trask, Joseph King,

Josiah Dodge, Robert Wilson,

Peter Woodbury, James Tufts,

Joseph Balch, Thomas Smith, f sergt.

Among the names of men under the command of Major Samuel
Appleton in the Narragansett campaign occur those of Israel Hen-
ick (Herriek), Thomas Abbey, John Rayment (Raymond), Rob-
ert Leach, Samuel Hebbart, Stephen Butler, Samuel Verry, which
are all to be found on our early records. As usual in these rolls
no places of residence are given, but the company was largely
drawn from Essex County.

Among the noted commanders in King Philip's War, was Capt.
Joseph Gardner of Salem. He was the son of Thomas and Mar-



*Commantled u company of troopers in the next campaign in the spring
of 1676.

tBorn in the Village, but at this time a resident of Newbury.



TOWN OF DANVERS. 95

garet Gardner and was a man of much importance in the early his-
tory of Salem. The company he commanded was composed of
men, residents of Salem and vicinit) . Among the men of Ids com-
pany who may be claimed for Danvers are William Hathorne, his
lieutenant and successor in command,

Joseph Houlton, jr., Eleazer Lyndsey,

Thomas Flint, Thomas Bell,

Thomas Kenny, Charles Knight,

John Stacey, Isaac Reed.

Capt. Gardner was killed during the battle at the fort and those
in italics wounded. The story of the attack and capture of the
fort of the Narragansetts and the effectual blow it dealt to Philip
has been told again and again. There is no room to repeat it fully
here.

The force, commanded in part by two men identified with our
town, Gardner and Davenport, and composed largely of men from
our county, in the heart of winter, 19 Dec, penetrated the fast-
nesses of the Indians and in the face of a fearful fire attacked the
fort of the enemy. The Massachusetts troops were in the van.
Says one historian " in all military history there is not a more
daring exploit. Never, on any field, has more heroic prowess been
displayed."

Davenport, mentioned above, was the son of Capt. Richard and
Elizabeth (Hathorne) Davenport and was born in Salem Village.
He was dressed when he fell in a full buff suit. He and Gardner
" were both the idols of their men." For some time Davenport had
been living in New York. He married Elizabeth, daughter of
Jarnes Thatcher.

Capt. Richard Davenport has been already mentioned in con-
nection with a command in the Pequot war, and the cutting out
of the cross in the flag. He was afterward commandant of the
Castle, Boston Harbor.

Besides the men already mentioned as having served in this
campaign, Upham gives the following, taken from records in the
State archives, who were present at the Narragansett fight, as from
Salem Village and its farming neighborhood, viz.

John Dodge, William Raymond,

William Dodge, Thomas Raymond,

Joseph Herrick, Thomas Putnam, jr.,

Thomas Abbey, Robert Leach,

Peter Prescott.

Grants of land known as the " Narragansett Townships " were
made to the survivors and heirs of the soldiers in the Narragansett
expedition. To these grants are due in part the very large migra-
tion of the younger sons of Danvers families during the early years
of the 18th century.

While the campaign against the Narragansetts was taking place, .
the garrisons on the Connecticut River were placed under the can



90 EARLY MILITARY ORGANIZATIONS,

mancl of Capt. Jonathan Poole of Reading. Among the men in
his command were Joshua and Elisha Fuller, George Eborne,
Thomas Bishop, Edward Bishop. William Rayment, Zechariah
Merrick, Benjamin Collins, Joseph Jacobs, Caleb Ray, William
Stacey, John Dun ton.

These men served under Poole at various dates from Oct., 1675
to Oct., 1676. No places of residence are given on the rolls and
that the above are names common on our records, and that a large
number of Reading men appear on the rolls, is the principal ex-
cuse for giving them in this connection.

Jonathan Kettle and Joseph Needham served under Capt. Joseph
Sill in June, 1676, John Tarball, and Caleb Ray, in Aug., 1676.

Among the recruits who joined the army after the Narragansett
fight was a company from Essex count}' under Capt. Nicholas
Manning of Ipswich. Anthony Needham was lieutenant. On
the company rolls occur the names of Richard Scott, John Ballard,
Stephen Henrick (Herrick), Thomas Raymond, Richard George,
Richard Norman, Thomas Fuller, William Rayment, Joseph Col-
lins, some of whom were undoubtedly from Salem Farms.

A careful examination of the rolls relating to King Philip's
War will reveal many names which have their counterparts on our
early records, but the data to locate them, as lias already been
noticed, is extremel}' hard to obtain. There is an extremely valu-
able book, prepared by the Rev. George M. Bodge which tells the
story of the whole war and gives lists of the soldiers ; it is entitled
"Soldiers in King Philip's war."

During the years immediately preceding the Witchcraft delu-
sion, there were depredations by the Indians on the frontier.

French Wars.

The Colonies of Great Britain and France for the whole period
of their existence under separate governments, were engaged in
continual wars, some of much more consequence than others.
The Indian wars during the ] 8th century were instigated nearly
always by the French.

The first of the series of the French and Indian Wars opened in
1689 ; the last closed in 1763. King William's War, so called,
1689-1697 is memorable for the attack upon Haverhill. Sir William
Phips led an expedition from Boston, which captured Port Royal
in 1690.

In 1689 (1 April), John Bishop, and Nicholas Reed*, a servant
of Edward Putnam, and in 1690, Godfrey Sheldonf were killed by
Indians, in the outskirts of Salem. "Thomas Alsob, Edward
Crocker, George Ingersoll killed at Casco Bay," on the 4, 5, 6 July
respectively.^ In June, 1693, William Tarbell, a soldier, was
killed at the Eastward. In Aug. and October, 1689, Billerica and


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Online LibraryDanvers (Mass.). Committee Appointed to Revise theReport of the Committee Appointed to Revise the Soldiers' Record → online text (page 10 of 18)