Copyright
Dedham Historical Society (Mass.).

Dedham historical register (Volume v.13-14 1902-03) online

. (page 1 of 22)
Online LibraryDedham Historical Society (Mass.)Dedham historical register (Volume v.13-14 1902-03) → online text (page 1 of 22)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


^MllMlUlMIllllUiUlUlJlJilllfflMIUQS:





GOODELL
LIBRARY




This book may


be k


ept


out




TWO WEEKS








only, and is s


ubje


ct


to a


fine


of dN^Mffs a


day


th


erea


fter.


It will be due


on


the


day


in


dicated below.










Jul 6 1962










If VL ■ ' - •










JUL 6-ee










OK 26 '86










4lM3ss. SEP 28 ^










B OMass JON 27


73









CARD






V Cb^s*



dttSi rLc



THE






DEDHAM



HISTORICAL REGISTER



VOLUME XIII.



1902.




DEDHAM, MASS.

PUBLISHED BY THE SOCIETY.
1902.



M3I
v-13



Dedham Transcript Press.



CONTENTS.



JOSEPH BELCHER, MINISTER OF THE FIRST CHURCH AND

PARISH IN DEDHAM, 1692-1723.. 1,36

SOME ADDITIONS TO THE FISHER GENEALOGY. . ..J. E. Fisher. 5
WHITING FAMILY, WRENTHAM AND MEDWAY BRANCH.

James F. Magee, Jr. 7, 64

THE SCHOOLS AND TEACHERS OF DEDHAM Carlos Slafter. 19, 48

marriages in stoughtonham (sharon). . William R. Mann. 21, 57

diary of dr. Nathaniel Ames Edna F. Colder. 25,49,80,112

GENEALOGY OF THE CHANDLER FAMILY.

Mrs. A. M. Fickford. 27,53,83,114

INSCRIPTIONS FROM THE OLD GRAVEYARD, WALPOLE.

Thomas A. Dickinson. 32

the atkins tomb, needham George K. Clarke. 35

DEDHAM, England Oscar Fay Adams. 37

WAR DIARY KEPT BY AMASA GUILD Mr. Guild. 41

THE LANDING PLACE ON CHARLES RIVER, DEDHAM VILLAGE.

Bon Gleason Hill. 67

THE MULE AND THE ARMY WAGON IN THE CIVIL WAR.

Amasa Guild. 77

deaths in STOUGnTONHAM (sharon) William R. Mann. 88,107

FRENCH TROOPS IN DEDHAM A. A. FolsOTH. 94

LYDIA FISHER AND THE REGICIDES 95

THE OLD WHITING MILLS ON MOTHER BROOK 97



18TH MASS. REG'T VOL. INFANTRY IN THE REBELLION.

Amasa Guild. 98

ADDITIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS TO AN ELLIS GENEALOGY.

Theodore S. Lazell. 106

BAPTISMS, WEST PRECINCT, NEEDHAM, 1849-1861.

George K. Clarke. Ill

THE WHITING GENEALOGY 120

QUERIES.

Stearns 36

Morse 36

Carew 36,65

Allen 65

The Regicides 66

Wolcott 66



ILLUSTRATIONS.



rev. josErii belcher. A photogravure, furnished by Mr.
Frederick Lewis Gay, of a painting in the meeting-house of
the First Church Facing titlepage

dedham, England. Six half-tone views from a photograph taken

in 1S93, and furnished by Mr. Oscar Fay Adams 37, 40

LANDING PLACE ON CHARLES RIVER, DEDHAM VILLAGE. A

hellotype after a photograph taken by Mr. Jonathan F.
Guild on June 20, 1902, from the piazza of the new club
house of the Dedham Boat Club 07

PLAN OF THAT PART OF DEDHAM VILLAGE SHOWING THE

town landing. A relief plate in zinc 69

the old whiting mills on mother brook. A half-tone after
a photograph in the possession of Mr. Paul Whitin of New
York, of a sketch which was probably made in sepia, but
xohen and by whom is not known 97



OFFICERS

OF THE

Dedham Historical Society

FOR 1902-1903.



Don Gleason Hill,
Julius H. Tuttle,
John H. Burdakin,
Edna F. Calder,
Harriet T. Boyd,
George W. Humphrey,



Don Gleason Hill,
John H. Burdakin,
A. Ward Lamson,
Julius H. Tuttle,
Frank Smith,
F. F. Favor,



President

Vice-President

Librarian

Corresponding Secretary

Recording Secretary

Treasurer



\ Curators.



THE DEDHAM HISTORICAL REGISTER.



Don Gleason Hill,
John H. Burdakin,
Julius H. Tuttle,
Julius H. Tuttle,
Harriet T. Boyd,
Edna F. Calder,
M. Gardner Boyd,



Committee on Publication



. Editor

Associate Editor

Business Manager




yc/3/f 5?e/cy^r



The Dedham Historical Register.



Vol. XIII. January, 1902. No. 1.

JOSEPH BELCHER,

Minister of the First Church and Parish in Dedham,

1692-1723.

AT the age of twenty-one years, in 1690, Joseph
Belcher graduated from Harvard College, and
preached for the first time to the Dedham Church, on
April 17, 1692, when he was paid fifteen shillings for his
" labrs." He preached on April 24, and May 15, and in
the minutes of the town meeting held on May 23, it is
recorded that " ye Chh and Towne haue given a Call " to
Mr. Belcher " to come and Hue and laboure amongst vs."
The call of the Church was given at a Church meeting
on December 4. He filled the pulpit on June 12, and
on October 30 he began to preach regularly. On
December 23, it was voted at a town meeting to give
Mr. Belcher sixty pounds a year, and the selectmen are
appointed to notify him of the action of the town, and to
express " ther desire to live : under his ministry and that
he wold Except of ye call giuen to him and not delay his
coming to Hue in this Towne." At a town meeting on

The photogravure with this number follows an oil painting, hanging
in the meetinghouse of the First Church, which was given in 1839 by
Elizabeth Gay, widow of Captain William Gay, whose father, Ichabod Gay,
married for his second wife, Lucy, daughter of Dr. Joseph and Mary
(Belcher) Richards, on January 25, 1774. The name of artist is not known,
nor the time when the portrait was painted. There is another portrait in
the rooms of the Rhode Island Historical Society, which was received
many years ago from a family that formerly lived in Bristol, R. I. This
may have descended through the Bradford family, and may be a copy from
the Dedham painting. (Publications of the Society, III. 86-87, for July,
1895.)

The date of Mr. Belcher's birth is taken from the Milton Records, page
7 of the printed edition. For reference to his library see page 36.



2 REV. JOSEPH BELCHER. [Jan.

June 5, 1693, it 1S voted that " the sayd sixty pounds be
paid forthwith." The following extract from Judge
Samuel Sewall's Diary (Collections of the Mass. Hist.
Society, 5th series, I. 387) relates to his ordination: —

Wednesday Nov. 29 [1693]. Rode to Dedham and saw Mr.
Joseph Belcher Ordained. He preached very well from Exod. 4. 12.
Mr. Neh. Hobert ask'd the Objections ; Mr. Saml. Torrey Solemnly
prayed and gave the Charge, Mr. N. Hobart and Jno. Danforth join-
ing in laying on of Hands. Mr. Moses Fisk gave the right Hand of
Fellowship. 118 Psalm sung from the 25th V. to the end ; St. David's
Tune. (Register, III. 164.)

The Church records kept during his ministry are
missing, and it is therefore impossible to give a complete
account of his life. Occasional references to Mr. Belcher
are found in the Town Records, in contemporary man-
uscripts and in several printed works. The following,
relating to Madame Knight's Journey to New York, in
1704, tells where he lived. (See also Proc. of the 250th
Anniv. of Dedham, p. 186.)

Her first call was upon the Rev. Joseph Belcher, the minister of
Dedham since Nov. 29, 1693. The parsonage, towards which the
town contributed sixty pounds, was built by him on the land now
occupied by the Congregational Church, though nearer the street.
(Register, II. 37.)

Joseph Belcher was born at Milton on May 14,
1669, and was the son of Joseph and Rebecca (Gill)
Belcher. His grandfather, Gregory Belcher, came to
Boston in 1634, later lived in Braintree, and died on
March 25, 1674 ; and his father was born on December 25,
1641, and lived in Milton. His grandfather, John Gill,
with whom he lived for several years, died in 1678, and left
valuable property on Milton Hill, and land, mill, and mill
privilege at Neponset. The mill was built by Israel
Stoughton in 1634, and with the privilege had passed
through several hands until it became the property
of the Walter Baker Company. From 1683 to 1741,



1902.] REV. JOSEPH BELCHER. 3

it was owned by Rev. Joseph Belcher and his heirs ;
for at the former date his grandfather Gill's property
mentioned above had fallen to him on the death of Mrs.
Gill, who had a life interest in the estate, and with whom
he had lived since his grandfather's death in 1678.
Joseph was to be sent to school until he was fourteen
years of age, and then he was to be bound out to learn a
trade ; but the plan was changed and he entered Har-
vard College in 1687.

During the later years of his ministry his salary was
one hundred pounds, and his wood was supplied by
members of the parish. For two years, 1695 and 1696, a
free contribution was taken up for him in place of his
salary ; but the compulsory process was soon resumed.
Some time between August 30 and December 28, 1721,,
he had been "surprised with a dangerous paralysis."
(See Increase Mather's preface to Belcher's sermon,
Bristol, August 30, 1726.) Some time in 1722 a contri-
bution was taken up every Sunday for two months, and
then continued for a longer time ; and a committee was
chosen to supply the pulpit. Mr. Belcher went to stay
with his son-in-law, Rev. Thomas Walter, of Roxbury,
where he was under the care of his wife's brother, Dr.
Philip Tompson. There he died on April 27, 1723, and
his body was brought to Dedham for burial. (Register,
III. 176.) Cotton Mather, in a sermon preached at a
Thursday Lecture in Boston, spoke of him as " one
who lived what he spoke," and " one who did what he
taught."

Joseph Belcher was married to Abigail (born in Bos-
ton, November 25, 1670), daughter of Benjamin and
Susanna (Kirtland?) Tompson, of Braintree and Roxbury,
on March 8, 1 693-4. Mr. Tompson was a noted school-
master, as well as a physician and a poet, and was a
graduate of Harvard College in the Class of 1662. (See
Sibley's Harvard Graduates, II. 103-111.) Children: —



REV. JOSEPH BELCHER. [Jan.

Abigail, b. August 22, 1695 ; m. Peres Bradford, April 14,
1720. He graduated at Harvard College in 1713, and
taught school in Dedham for about six months beginning
December 1, 1714. (Register, II. 91.) He was the
son of Samuel Bradford, of Duxbury, and great grandson
of William Bradford, of Plymouth. His birth, December
28, 1694, is recorded in Plymouth. (Mayflower Desc.
II. 18.) They went to Attleboro to live, where he died
on June 19, 1746.

Rebekah, b. March 14, 1696-7 ; m. Rev. Thomas Walter,
of Roxbury, December 25, 1718. He graduated at
Harvard College in 1713, and taught school in Dedham,
for a year and a half beginning December 31, 1712.
(Register, II. 89.) He was born on December 13,1696,
son of Nehemiah and Sarah (Mather) Walter, grandson of
Increase Mather and nephew of Cotton Mather ; died
January 10, 1724.

Joseph, b. October 16, 1699 ; graduated from Harvard
College in 1717; taught school in Dedham, from Nov-
ember 18, 1717 to May 15, 1721. His last receipt for
salary is signed on March 2, 1722. (Register, II. 92.)
Probably removed to Milton, with other members of
the family, after the death of his father. Hem. Elizabeth,
born July 3, 1703, daughter of Nathaniel and Elizabeth,
(Breck) Butt, of Dorchester. The date of his death is
unknown, but his widow, Elizabeth, married, 2dly, Capt.
William Hunt, of Braintree, December 25, 1740. In
1741, Gill Belcher, mentioned below, and his three sisters
conveyed the mill property to Thomas Hutchinson and
others. On March 21, 1740-1, William Hunt of Brain-
tree, Gentleman, and Elizabeth, his wife, (which said
Elizabeth before her intermarriage with the said William
was the widow and relict of Joseph Belcher, late of
Milton, Gentleman), in consideration of ^"250, sell to
Peres Bradford, of Swansey, and Joseph Richards, of
Dedham, all said Elizabeth's right of dower in the
houses and lands whereof Joseph Belcher died seized.
(Suffolk Deeds, LXV. 228.)

Mary, b. July 23, 1701 ; d. January 11, 1702.



1902.] FISHER GENEALOGY. 5

Samuel, b. March 23, 1703-4; was living in 1721 ; probably
died before 1741. He is said to have moved to Windsor,
Conn. (N. E. H. Gen. Reg. XIII. 178.) A Samuel
Belcher mar. at Boston, January 26, 1726, Mary, dau.
of John Puffer, of Dorchester. (N. E. H. Gen. Reg.
XXII. 289.) See Joseph, above. (Register, IV. 47.)

Mary, b. about 1706 ; m. Dr. Joseph Richards, August 10,
1726. He was born at Dedham, April 18, 1701, grad-
uated at Harvard College in 1721. See Register, XII.
109, for some account of him, and a portrait of their
daughter, Mrs. Andrew Tyler. On January 3, 1725-6,
Oxenbridge Thacher, of Boston, was appointed guardian
of Mary Belcher, a minor 19 years of age, and Gill Bel-
cher, a minor about 15 years of age, children of the late
Joseph Belcher of Dedham.

Gill, b. October 11, 1711 ; d. May 16, 1752. See Mary,
above.



SOME ADDITIONS TO THE FISHER GENEALOGY.

By J. E. Fisher.

!• (125) Daniel Fisher 6 , of Wrentham, bought
land in Upton, Mass., in 1752, and probably lived there
till his death, though I find no record of his death, He
had other children after moving there, and I think the
evidence reasonably conclusive that his children were as
follows : —

Hepzibah 7 , b. May 31, 1742.

Mercy 7 , b. Feb. 23, 1744.

Esther 7 , b. March 18, 1745.

2. Timothy 7 , b. March 18.1748; m. Levica Wood, March

30, 1773.

3. Daniel 7 , b. [ ] 1752 ; m. Hannah Sadler, Feb. 1, 1774.
Ichabod 7 , b. [ ] 1752; m. Rhoda Wood, Sept.

24, 1778.

4. Elias 7 , b. [ ] 1755.

Chloe 7 , b. [ ] ; m. Joel Taft, April 2, 1789.



6 FISHER GENEALOGY. [Jan.

2 « (248) Timothy Fisher 7 , first son of Daniel and
Mercy ( ) Fisher, was born in Wrentham, March

18, 1748. He moved to Upton with his parents and mar-
ried there March 30, 1773, Levica Wood. He made his
will in 1826 and died in 1832. He owned land in Grafton.
They had three daughters. The Timothy Fisher (248)
who lived in Wrentham and married there was a son of
Capt. Ebenezer Fisher, descendant of Thomas Fisher.
They had : —

Lucretia 8 , b. Oct. 26, 1773; m. Obediah Wheelock, Oct.

1, 1795.
Levina 8 , b. June 26, 1778; m. Jonathan Hayward, Nov.

12, 1794.
Levica, m. [ ] Taft.

3 - Daniel Fisher 7 , second son of Daniel and Mercy
( ) Fisher, was born in Upton in 1752. He married
Hannah Sadler, daughter of Joseph Sadler, Feb. 1, 1774.
He removed to Newfane, Vt., in 1774. " He purchased a
large amount of real estate, supposed to exceed one thou-
sand acres in the east portion of the town. In the early
days he was known as Corn Fisher for the reason that
he raised great crops of Indian corn in his fertile
meadows, which he sold to the early settlers in the hills
and mountains. He was exceedingly thrifty and prudent,
and at his decease left a large estate. He died in 1820."
(Hemenway's Vt. Gazetteer.) They had :—

5. Daniel 8 , b. Feb. 1776; m. 1st Millicent Durren, 1797;
2dly, Priscilla Ritter, of Walpole, N. H., 1815.

4 - Elias Fisher 7 , fourth son of Daniel and Mercy
( ) Fisher, was born in Upton in 1755. He married
Sybil Wood, Jan 3, 1782. He died Feb. 7,1831. They had: —

Elias 8 , b, Aug. 27, 1782 ; m. Betsey Warren, Feb. 19,1807.
Daniel 8 , b. Feb. 9, 1786; m. Anna [ ].

Sybel 8 , b. April 27, 1784.
Nathan 8 , b. March 25, 1790.



1902.] WHITING FAMILY. 7

5. Daniel Fisher 8 , son of Daniel and Hannah
(Sadler) Fisher, was born in Newfane, Vt., Feb., 1776.
"He inherited a large property from his father, which he
judiciously distributed among his children and grand-
children before his death. He was generous and even
munificent in his donations and subscriptions for various
public enterprises. He was distinguished for his integrity
and benevolence, cordial and kindly in his greetings,
liberal and kind to the poor and suffering, never closing
his door or his hand to their application for relief."
(Hemen way's Vt. Gazetteer.) He married first Milli-
cent Durren of Newfane in 1797. She died in 1813, and
he married secondly Priscilla Ritter of Walpole, N. H.,
in 1815. They had: —

Clark 9 , b. April 23, 1798; m. Marcia Knowlton, June 29,

1820.
Lydia 9 , b. March 8, 1800.
Orison 9 , b. Feb. 27. 1802.
Caroline 9 , b. May 27, 1804.
Millicent 9 , b. May 2, 1806.
Hannah S. 9 , b. Nov. 17, 1808.
Adah C. 9 , b. Dec. 10, 1810; d. Dec. 17. 1810.
Simon 9 , b. March 6, 1813.
William P. 9 (by 2d wife), b. Dec. 17, 1819.



WHITING FAMILY,

WRENTHAM AND MEDWAY BRANCH.

By James F. Magee, Jr.

(Continued from Vol. XII. page 115.)

Captain Nathaniel Whiting's estate consisted of 618
acres of land comprising a quarter part of what is now
Medway. At the present time the following buildings
beside others are on the property that belonged to him ;



8



WHITING FAMILY.



[Jan.



the churches, Sanford Hall, one hotel and the straw
works ; and there are now but ten acres and the Whiting
house owned by any of Nathaniel's descendants.

The following are the 24 purchases of land made by
Nathaniel Whiting in Medway :—



PURCHASED FROM




ACKNOWLEDGED BEF


3RE


Laid out by the town
James Waring


8 Ac
4




1709




1714






John Whiting


7


' Ebi. Billing


1715


Benj. Clark


4




1717






Jos. & Samuel Wheelock


3


' John Houghton


1721


Ebenezer Wight


22


' Daniel Taft


1722


John Whiting


101 1-2 '


' Josiah Chapin


1724


Eleaser Fisher, Sr.


12


' Not acknowledged


1726


Ralph Day


27 1-2 '


' John Chandler


1726


Seth Bullard


12 1-2 '


' Daniel Taft


1730


Benj. Bruce


54


'


1730


Hezekiah Gay


103


' Jonathan Ware


1733


Peter Balch


20


' Jonathan Fisher


1735


Jacob Parker )
James Corbin j


18


' Edwin Clark


1735


John Draper, Sr


57


' Jonathan Fisher


1735


Robert Pond
Thomas Gay


4
5




1736


' Jonathan Ware


1736


Ezra Pond


16


' Edwin Clark


1738


Eliphalet Whiting


2 1-2 '


' James Blake


1744


Laid out by the town
John Guild
John Whiting


12
5
1-4 '




1744
1744




' Not acknowledged


1745


David Daniels


70


' James Blake


1747


John Metcalf


24 Re


)ds E. Adams


1764



618 Acres or thereabouts.



May 22, 1733, Hezekiah Gay of Stoughton sells to
Lieut. Nathaniel Whiting for one hundred and fifty
pounds, a certain tract of land containing one hundred
and three acres in the township of Wrentham, at a place



1902.] WUITING FAMILY. 9

called " Harries Plantation ; bounded by the Mine Brook
E. ward, by land of Joseph Whiting Southward and by
Abraham Hardingsland South West, and by land granted
to Nathaniel Chickering now in the possession of Job
Partridge North west, and by common land and the land
of Michael Wilson Sen. Northward, and by common hilly
land Northward." Dec. 17, 1735, John Draper Sen. of
Dedham sells to Nathaniel Whiting for one hundred
pounds, 57 acres of land, on the west side of Charles
River in a tract of land commonly known by the name
of the New Grant, abutting on the Charles River toward
the south and on the highway north, bounded with the
land granted to John Metcalf toward the east and the
land of John Pratt west, all of which said land appears in
the Medfield Town Book.

March 18, 1744-5 Eliphalat Whiting of Wrentham
sells to Nathaniel Whiting of Medway, miller, a certain
Pine Swamp being the sixth part of the Pine Swamp for-
merly belonging to the Rev. Mr. Man, " north east ; and
the land of Cornelas Fisher south east ; and on the pine
swamp belonging to the heirs of Eleazer Gay s. w. ; and
on Clarks medown.w." April 1, 1747, David Daniell and
his wife Magdaline sell to Nathaniel Whiting, 70 acres of
land for fourteen hundred pounds old tenor. " His
homestead on which he then dwelt in southwestern part
of Medway, and containing his dwelling house and barn."
" At a legal Meeting of the Inhabitants of ye town of
Medway, held on the 7th April 1766, the inhabitants made
choice of Elisha Adams Esq. Capt. Nathaniel Whiting &
Capt. Jonathan Adams to appear as a committe in any of
ye Courts of General Session as occasion may require to
act there in behalf of the town in any matter regarding a
public, common or private road that is or may be Peti-
tioned for across Charles River between Chicken Brook
and the bridge across said river near by Ebenezar Ellises
Bark-house, leading from Wrentham into Medway."



10 WHITING FAMILY. [Jan.

The first mention in any of the above deeds of Na-
thaniel having any military title is in the deed of E.
Fisher dated April 30, 1726. In this he is called Ensign
Nathaniel Whiting. In a deed of 1733 he is referred to
as Lieutenant Nathaniel Whiting and January 17, 1738,
as Captain Nathaniel Whiting. During the French and
Indian wars in 1745 we have "An account of the persons
Impressed by Captain Whiting and done service for his
Majesty June 17th. 1745." Then follows the names of
the 65 men, one of whom was his son Nathan Whiting.
It is signed Nathaniel Whiting, Senior. These men were
in the expedition against Louisburg. When Captain
Nathaniel Whiting was 87 years old, his name appeared
among a list of men returned by a committee of the town
of Medway April 13, 1778, as having rendered service at
various times subsequent to April 19th 1775 (rank Cap-
tain). The settlement and growth of Medway has been
due largely to the mechanical instincts of the Whiting
family, transmitted from father to son for many genera-
tions. In tracing this branch of the family we find an
almost unbroken succession of millers. (History of Med-
way, page 173.) The old Whiting Mill was on the site of
the present Sanford Mills. Messrs. Luther Metcalf and
Philip Sanford married granddaughters of Captain Na-
thaniel Whiting, thus coming into possession of the mill.
In 1805 they associated with others, "for the purpose of
carding and spinning and manufacturing cotton, in all its
various branches." On Sunday, October 20, 181 1, the
mill was destroyed by fire.

April 30, 1735, Nathaniel Whiting, Miller, sells to
John Metcalf Jr. of Dedham, Cordwainer, "eighty-four
Rods of land with a way from the county road to the said
land with the liberty of ye river and erecting a Dam cross
ye same for setting up Ironworks and fasting to Dam and
ye other side of the River opposite to ye premesis, with
liberty of flowing what land shall be requsett for the said



1902.] WHITING FAMILY. 11

works. The said Nathaniel Whiting shall have liberty
in a dry time and when his Grist Mill shall want water
and when the intended Iron Works are not at work to
draw the gate of the Dam and let the water out as shall
be requisit for the mill. It is understood that John Met-
calf Jr. shall not erect a Grist mill on the premises."
Signed in the presence of John Metcalf, Sr., and Jona-
than Adams. The above John Metcalf, Jr., was after-
wards the father-in-law of Captain Nathaniel's son Nathan.

Captain Nathaniel died in West Medway, Sept. 4,
1779; and his wife Margaret (Man) Whiting died Jan-
uary 11, 1775, aged 84 years. For inscriptions on grave-
stones see Register (X. 29). His will was dated April
4, 1770, and was probated October 1, 1779. He bequeaths
to his beloved wife Margaret the three pounds weight
avoirdupois of silver now in her hands. Also one third of
the Grist Mill for life. To his daughter Mary Clark 75
pounds sterling and one quarter of the grain. He gives
to his son-in-law Nathan Clark (his wife my daughter
Esther being dead) half of his grain and shoeleather. To
his two grandchildren Nathan, Jr., and Simeon Clark
,£106, and to the former his shortest gun. To his two
grandchildren by his son Nathaniel (deceased) his two
millstones that were fitted to place in the mill and all the
timber prepared for the water and log wheels that were
then in his daughter Margaret's barn.

He also wills that his son Nathan pay the several
Legaces mentioned and at the time mentioned in his
will, and to allow his son to pay the legacies he gives unto
him his dwelling house and all his buildings and lands in
Medway and elsewhere, and all his stock and cattle,
horses, sheep, etc. ,and all his husbandry tools and all his
apparel and his silver hilted sword, and all the rest of
his armour and his silver headed cane, and his wolf trap,
and silver shoe buckles, and his saddle, and the largest



12 WHITING FAMILY. [Jan.

mill stone not stored, and he to have his great bible, and
his " pigion net."

He also wills that at any time after his death, when
his negro slave Roger shall provide bondsmen to the sat-
isfaction of his son Nathan the same Roger to have his
freedom. Roger to remain Nathan's slave in the mean-
time. This slave is not taken in the inventory of Na-
thaniel's estate, so that he likely was set free during the
Revolution, or purchased his freedom before 1779.

He appoints his son Nathan sole Executor of his
will. The will was signed in the presence of Daniel Ide,
Ephriam Hill, Simeon Cutler and David Pond. The in-
ventory of his estate was taken October 25, 1779, which
sums up a total of 18,355 pounds sterling. His library
consisted of over 100 books, 25 of them being in Latin,
and were valued at ^108 and 13 shillings.

Among them were " Clarks Anitation, Saint August-
ine, Doctor Chaney on Justification, Mr. Hubbart on the
absents of the Comforter, Mr. Lee on Mortality, Dr.
Mathers meditations on death," and Latin comments on


1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Online LibraryDedham Historical Society (Mass.)Dedham historical register (Volume v.13-14 1902-03) → online text (page 1 of 22)