William Smith.

Dictionary of Greek and Roman geography (Volume 2) online

. (page 49 of 387)
Online LibraryWilliam SmithDictionary of Greek and Roman geography (Volume 2) → online text (page 49 of 387)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


wears everywhere a rugged aspect. There is but
little cultivation, except wdiere terraces have been
planted on the mountain sides, and covered with
vineyards. The highest ridge of the mountains rises
about 3000 feet above the sea.

Between the northern coast of Leucadia and that
of Acarnania there is at present a lagoon about
3 miles in length, while its breadth varies from
100 yards to a mile and a half. The lagoon is in
most parts only about 2 feet deep. This part of
the coast requires a more particular description,
which will be rendered clearer by the accompanying
plan. At the north-eastern extremity of Leucadia
a lido, or spit, of sand, 4 miles in length, sweeps
out towards Acarnania. (See Plan, A.) On an
isolated point opposite the extremity of this sand-
bank, is the fort of Santa Mmtrc, erected in the
middle ages by one of the Latin princes, but rejiaii'ed



LEUCAS.

and modflleJ both by the Turks and Venetians.
(Plan, B.) The fort was connected with the island
by an aqueduct, serving also as a causeway, 1300
yards in length, and with 260 arches. (Plan, 5.) It
was originally built by the Turks, but was ruined
by an earthquake in 1825, and has not since been
repaired. It was formerly the residence of the Vene-
tian governor and the chief men of the island, who
kept here their magazines and the cars (afj.a^ai') on
which they carried down their oil and wine from the
inland districts, at the nearest point of the island.
The congregation of buildings thus formed, and to
which the inhabitants of the fortress gradually re-
tired as the seas became moi-e fiee from corsairs,
arose by degrees to be the capital and seat of govern-
ment, and is called, in memory of its origin,
Amaxichi (^Ana^ix^ov). (Plan, C.) Hence the fort
alone is properly called &¬ї



Online LibraryWilliam SmithDictionary of Greek and Roman geography (Volume 2) → online text (page 49 of 387)