Dwight H. (Dwight Hall) Bruce.

Onondaga's centennial. Gleanings of a century online

. (page 86 of 101)
Online LibraryDwight H. (Dwight Hall) BruceOnondaga's centennial. Gleanings of a century → online text (page 86 of 101)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


transformed, to some extent, to adapt it to its new purpose. Azariah
Smith was the foremost beneficiary of the institution, paying off indebt-
edness and enabling it to come under jurisdiction of the Board of Re-
gents. Instruction began in May, 1835, with fifty male and sixty female
students. The academy was very prosperous for a number of years,



THE TOWN OF MANLIUS. 785

and in 1840 had 274 students. Ultimately the same causes that have
caused the decline and extinction of so many other academies, con-
spired against this one. Multiplication of similar institutions, consoli-
dation of school districts and the establishment of graded schools, in-
creased salaries demanded by good teachers, and other causes were
sufficient to cause the abandonment of the school.

Under the graded school system Manlius village was fortunate. Hay-
den W. Wheeler, a former resident and a supporter of the academy,
who became a business man of New York city, donated in 1870 about
$1,800 for the enlargement and improvement of the Union School
building, and later gave it a valuable collection of philosophical ap-
paratus.

An act of Legislature was passed April 8, 1834, which authorized the
commissioners of the land office to

' ' Release the site owned by the State for a gun house in the village of Manlius,
whenever the captain or commandant of the company having charge of the gun for
which said gun house was erected, shall select a suitable site for the said gun house
and procure a title of the said site to the people of the State."

The old cotton factory^ erected in Manlius in 1813, was burned in
later years, and about 1830 a paper mill was built in vVhich a part of
the foundation of the cotton factory was utilized. This mill was oper-
ated a number of years by Edwin Russell and by Charles Tremain, and
later by Candee & Wells in the manufacture of straw paper. It was
soon afterward closed up, and since burned. It stood about on the site
of the present store of Frank P. Emmons, and connected with it was a
store, long conducted by Franklin May and his nephew, Elijah May.

The stone mills were built in 1827 and were burned in 1850. Three
years later they were rebuilt. They have been operated at different
times by Ewers & Rowling, John Rowling, Hamlin & Son, and by the
father of the present proprietor, who is William J. Phillips. The latter
took the mills about ten years ago.

The early tannery which stood on the site of S. Cheney & Son's upper
foundry was owned by Roger Stillwell, and later by his son Leonard ;
it was subsequently burned.

On the site of E. U. Scoville's present works was formerly a foundry
which was established by Sumner Whitney. He sold in 1844 to Alvah
Woodworth, who settled in Manlius in 1837, and who continued the
business until 1875, when he sold to Scoville.

In 1863 K. H. C. Preston began manufacturing the Preston harvester



786 ONONDAGA'S CENTENNIAL.

in Manlius, and ten years later established his own factory. This was
burned, and on the site S. Cheney & Son built their present upper
foundry. At a later date they purchased the lower foundry, where in
early years stood a brewery, and later a cotton factory, which was oper-
ated many years by Azariah Smith. Soon after the organization of the
Star Foundry Company it passed to Cheney & Son, who now carry on
the three establishments, in the extensive manufacture of furnaces,
stoves and general work, employing 200 men.

In 1876 the Wood Manufacturing Company, of which C. W. H. Wood
was proprietor, was removed to Manlius from Pompey, where the
works were established in 1844, for the manufacture of wagonmaker's
and carpenter's tools. The business is still in existence.

In 1873 Russell Morgan established the Empire Yarn Mill, where for
a time about 30,000 pounds of kriitting yarn was made annually. The
bu,siness was ultimately closed up and the building now constitutes the
lower foundry of S. Cheney & Son.

The cement and lime works, situated about a mile from Manlius vil-
lage, and now a part of the James Beahan estate, were established in
1873 by George J. Champlin and Henry N. Burhans.

Edwin P. Russell was a native of this town, son of Anson Russell.
He was a builder by trade, and carried on the furniture business in
Belleville, Canada, about ten years. Returning to Manlius he and
Porter Tremain purchased the rights to the Preston mower and manu-
factured it in what is now Cheney & Son's lower foundry. Later he
manufactured clothes wringers. He died in Manlius in September,
1877.

Among the postmasters of Manlius have been Mr. Bickford, John
Grinnell, Dr. Horace Nims, who carried on a drug business forty years
and is succeeded by his son, Hiram Smith (twelve years), Abner Duell,
William Candee, John O'Neil, and the present official, Frank P. Em-
mons.

Among early merchants of the village were Elijah and Joseph
Rhoades, Azariah Smith and his son John, Franklin and Elijah May,
Robert Gilmor, and a Mr. Farr, jeweler. Later merchants are Wattle
Smith, son of Joseph, the Fox Brothers, Whitney & Hibbard, succeeded
by Theodore Simons and he by Adsit & Fowler now in trade ; Frank P.
Emmons, G. M. Bell, Charles Cole, John O'Neil, and Charles Brown,
now in trade.



THE TOWN OF MANLIUS. 787

St. John's Military School for Boys was founded in 1869 by the
Right Rev. F. D. Huntington, S. T. D., Bishop of the Diocese of Cen-
tral New York. The religious services and teaching conform to the
order of the Episcopal church. The buildings are located near Manlius
village in the center of one hundred acres of beautiful woodlands, hav-
ing a splendid elevation. Twenty acres of the tract have been laid in
a highly artistic manner, in lawns and parades, and specially graded
grounds for foot ball, base ball, lawn tennis, and other athletic sports.
The buildings are constructed of brick and stone. The main building
is 100 by 70 feet, four stories high. The gymnasium is 130 by 60 feet.
Another building, erected for the primary department in 1894, is 115
by 37 feet in -size. These afford ample accommodations for school and
boarding purposes. The school is under the direct patronage of the
War Department, and the secretary of war details an officer of
the Army on full pay to take charge of the military department.
Special honors are conferred upon the graduates. The names of such
students as have shown special diligence in their work are sent by
the adjutant-general of the army to the adjutants-general of the
different States. The names of the three most distinguished students
are inserted on the the United States Army Register and published in
" General Orders " at Washington. The courses of study in the aca-
demic department are five : Civil engineering, classical, special, practical
business, and brief business course. One of the very enjoyable features
of St. John's School is the summer session, which has been in vogue
for eight years. It begins in June and is open for three months. Col.
William Verbeck, president of the institution, is a man of ripe scholar-
ship and deep culture, and his successful management of boys has won
for his school a name in every part of the country.

Manlius village was incorporated on April 30, 1842, and the follow-
ing officers were chosen : Robert Fleming (who was elected president
of the Board of Trustees), Azariah Smith, William Taylor, James
Midlar, Hiram Hopkins, trustees; Edward Boylston, overseer of high-
ways; Alvah B. McClenthen, constable. The presidents of the village
since its incorporation have been as follows:

Hiram Fleming, 1843; Hiram Hopkins, 1843; Jonathan G. Rowling, 1844; J. V. H.
Clark, 1845-46 ; E. E. May, 1847 ; Edward Boylston, 1848 ; Lloyd Remington, 1849-
51; A. H. Jerome, 1853-54; Robert Gilmore, 1855; Joseph Baker, 1856; E. P. Russell,
1857-63, inclusive; D. Higley, 1863-64; E. P. Russell, 1865; A. H. Jerome, 1866-67;
A. A. Wood, 1868; R. Rotenbury, 1869; E. P. Russell, 1870-71; Henry Whitney,
1872; E. P. Russell, 1873; Joseph Baker, 1874; E. U. Scoville, 1875; George J,




>
%



o

m

O



THE TOWN OF MANLIUS. 789

Champlin, 1876-77; G. J. Champlin, 1878; Charles Hubbard, 1879-81; Charles Hart,
1882-83; Walter W. Cheney, 1884-85; John W. Boylston, 1886-87; Frank P. Em-
mons, 1888-89; Elizah U. Scoville, 1890-91; Wesley E. Ackerman, 1892-93; W. J.
"Phillips, 1894-95.

Of the foregoing list of presidents of the village, Edward Boylston
was a farmer, brother of John W. ; Hiram Hopkins was a wagonmaker;
Jonathan G. Rowling was in the stone mill; Elijah E. May was a mer-
chant and son of Franklin, also a merchant; others are living and
noticed elsewhere. •

At an adjourned meeting of the trustees held May 7, 1843, J. V. H.
Clark was chosen clerk; Abner Duell, John Merritt, fire wardens; Jo-
seph Smith, treasurer ; William Warner, collector ; Lyman Benson, pound
master, and it was voted "that his yard be a pound for the village."
The fire company was placed on a more efficient basis by the appoint-
ment of twenty members, among whom were Jonathan G. Rowling, N.
N. Phillips, Hiram Remington, Stephen V. Barnes, E. E. May, A. H.
Jerome, H. D. June, Israel Remington, Jonas P. Ellis, and William T.
Washburn. The name of the company was Torrent No. 1. A re-
organization took place in April, 1877, and a new engine purchased.
Associated with the fire company was Eagle Hose Company.

The new village government began the inauguration of various other
improvements for the general welfare of the place. In May, 1843, the
slaughter house on Limestone Creek, occupied by William H. Warner,
was declared "a nuisance." Several new streets were opened and
many sidewalks laid within a few years after the incorporation. In
June, 1850, the village was divided into four fire districts, and the
trustees were required to visit each district to inspect any deficiencies
in protection against fire that might be reported by the fire wardens.
At about the same time a fire engine house was erected.

The corporation expenses for the first year were $317.48; they were
only about $400 in 1874, $380 of which was for fire purposes. From
these figures they have gradually increased, until now they are about

$1,400.

At a public meeting held April 35, 1883, a committee previously ap-
pointed on a new charter reported that the report was accepted, Walter
W. Cheney and J. Baker were appointed as a committee to procure the
new charter. On May 16 the re-incorporation 'was effected under new
by-laws through a special election, at which the vote was 101 in favor
and 95 against the measure.

A fine water supply system for the village was put in operation in



790 ONONDAGA'S CENTENNIAL.

1894, for which bonds to the amount of $30,000 were issued. The water
is taken from springs about one and one-half miles south of the village.
This gives the inhabitants an ample suppl)' of p.ure water and under .
such pressure as to make it available in cases of fire

An opera house was completed in the village early in 1895 by F. D.
Gardner, an enterprising citizen who feels a deep interest in the devel-
ment of the place.

An electric light system for the village has recently been completed
by W. J. PhilHps.

While these various energetic pioneers were building up the village
of Manlius and giving it the position which it held many years of the
leading business center of the county, or clearing the lands on contigu-
ous homesteads, similar growth was noticeable at other points in the
town. Following the first settlers on the site of F'ayetteville, already
mentioned, Carey Coats opened a tavern there in 1801 and applied for
a license. John Delamater opened a store in 1802 and the little hamlet
that gathered about them took the name of "the Corners," or "Man-
lius Four Corners," which it held until the establishment of the post-
office, when it was given its present name. Gershom Breed settled
there at an early date and was a prominent citizen. Others who located
near by were Daniel Campbell, Lewis Sweeting, John Jones, Zopher
Knowlton, *^illiam Allen, Palmer Breed, Washington Worden, the
Collin family, and others. David Collin, a native of Dutchess county,
bought a large tract of land near Fayetteville in 1797 and the family
have been prominent in the town ever since. His grandson, also named
David, was given 400 acres, which, with large additions, he has trans-
formed into a splendid property and still occupies it. Reuben Bangs
settled in Fayetteville in 1813 and began manufacturing lime in the
vicinity of Eagle Village; he took part in the war of 1812, was a large
contractor on the canal and in 1824 was appointed a division superin-
tendent on one division. He married in 1815 Clarissa Teall, daughter
of Dr. Timothy Teall, and died in 187-2. Dr. Teall settled in the town
about 1791, soon after which his wife died, leaving him with two sons
and four daughters. His son, Oliver, subsequently prominent in pri-
vate and public life in Syracuse, remained on the home farm until he
was about eighteen, after which he was engaged in making lime, in the
tanning and currying business, and other undertakings; he commanded
a company in the war of 1812, which marched to Oswego when that
port was threatened.



THE TOWN OF MANLIUS. 791

Col. John Sprague was a prominent early settler at Fayetteville, a
successful farmer, and a respected citizen. He also commanded a com-
pany at Oswego and afterwards through promotion earned his well
known militia title. He was connected with the Bank of Fayetteville
many years and died on May 30, 1861, aged eighty-one years.

It is well known that the parents of Grover Cleveland lived at one
period in Fayetteville. The father's name was Richard F. Cleveland
and the family residence was across the street from the old academy.
There were four sons, two of whom, Fred and Cecil, were drowned
while on their way to Florida. The others were William and Grover.
The family removed to Holland Patent.

Harvey Edwards was an early merchant on the corner of Salt Springs
and Manlius streets. Most of the early business interests were located
at the upper end of the village. A Mr. Stillson had a prosperous mer-
cantile business about 1840 on the site of the Tremain property. At
the lower end in what is now the Matthews block (built about 1824),
Flint & Piatt, and Elijah Paine were located. The Raymond Hotel
stood just east of the present Tremain House, and was burned with the
store about 1840. At that time there were three other hotels at the
upper end — ^the Goodrich House, where is now the Wands House ; the
Cottage Hotel, on the site of the new school house and the site of the
former Kinne tavern. The Cottage Hotel was early known as the
Ward tavern. The old Eagle Hotel, of which Walter Worden, Samuel
Luce, and others were proprietors, stood on the site of the Catholic
church.

There was an early brick yard on the flats of what is now the Palmer
farm, where most of the brick used in the village were made. Another
was on the Huntley farm, on the opposite side of the road ; both were
long ago discontinued.

In early years there was a wool carding and cloth dressing mill con-
ducted by Darling Thompson, about on the site of the present Snook
knife factory. After doing business many years it was torn down.
Later Mr. Thompson built another similar mill, which subsequently
became the grain cradle factory of Russell Morgan.

There have been four tanneries in Fayetteville. Of these, one on
the site of the Beard block, operated by Thomas Starr, who made boots
and shoes in connection ; one on *the site and south of the present
Tillotson grocery, which was operated by George L. Taylor many
years ; he had also a shoe factory and store there and employed quite a



792 ONONDAGA'S CENTENNIAL

number of hands. Abandoning this place, he built quite an extensive
tannery on Bishop's brook, just below the Morgan cradle factory, where
he continued some years and was succeeded by others; it finally went
to decay.

One of the early asheries stood on the east line of the Tremain lot,
just in the rear of the present house.

Just above Thompson's first fulling mill, Riley (John G.) & Treat
had a saw mill, which is still standing and was bought by Burhans &
Blanchard who established a planing mill there. Another saw mill
was situated where the Bangs & Gaynor plaster mill now is, and there
was a small grist mill there at one time. A mill is now operated by
C. L. Collin on the Ledyard canal.

Some of the Fayetteville merchants of the past have been Jewett &
Blanchard, and H. H. Gage (husband of Mrs. Matilda Joslyn Gage),
both in the Beard block. Nichols & Austin, succeeded- by Volney H.
Nichols' & Son, who are still in business. Snell & Smith, across the
street from the Beard block, burned out in 1893. John McVicker,
drugs, for whom Grover Cleveland was clerk about a year. Walden
Tibbitts, who was succeeded by Coon & Potter, now in trade. Beach
C. and Huntington Beard, who built the Beard block and were in trade
many years.

Others who have been in business or mechanics in Fayetteville are
a Mr. Logan, an early tailor at the upper end. Henry Ecker, tailor,
whose shop was on the site of the Beard block, later in that block ;
he was long postmaster and his shop became known as Tammany Hall,
on account of its popularity as a place for political discussion ; he was
father of John Ecker, the present popular postmaster of the village.
Blacksmiths were Benson and Kieff at the upper end ; John Allen, who
became proprietor of the Allen House at Oneida; Anson Young at the
lower end; Graham Brothers, who were also wagon makers; Deacon
Robert Stewart, wagon maker opposite the Presbyterian church. Har-
ness makers, Daniel Griffin till shortly before his death ; Van Slyke &
Frazer; Abraham Hoag, who was succeeded by Mr. Bristol, now in
business.

The Worden family has been a prominent one in Fayetteville. Capt.
Walter Worden, born in 1757, came into the town of Manlius and to
Fayetteville from Hoosack, N. Y., 'about 1803-4, and settled adjoining
the northwest corner of the present village cemetery. He died of fever
near Buffalo, September 20, 1814, while on service in the war of 1812.



THE TOWN OF MANLIUS. 793

He raised a company for the army, of which he was captain; they
marched on foot to the Niagara frontier. He married Lncretia Hicks,
born 1756 and died May 10, 1834. Their children were Major Walter,
born 1778, died April 25, 1820; Jonathan, born March 20, 1780; Major
Jesse, born October 14, 1781, was at Oswego in the war of 1812, died
February 10, 1853; James, born April 15, 1783, died in his native town;
Washington, born September 26, 1785; Jabish, bom May 15, 1787;
Mrs. Lucretia Halsted, born 1789, and died in Michigan ; Mrs. Hannah
Park, born in 1790, and died in 1814; Varnum, born August 20, 1791;
Danforth, born March 30, 1794, and Weed H., born in 1799, and died
in 1836, in Camillus where he was a clothier.

Jonathan Worden served several years as a magistrate ; built the grist
mill on Pool's Brook at Kirkville and operated it several years, where
he had also a saw mill.

Maj. Jesse Worden was a millwright, and married Catharine Halsted,
who died in 1807, leaving two children, Morgan L. and Polly M. He
married second Abiah Sweeting, who settled in town with her uncle,
John Sweeting, in 1794. Their children were Sweeting W. , De Witt
C:, Tompkins D., and Monroe P.; the latter is still living in Fay-
etteville.

A large business has been done in the vicinity of Fayetteville in past
years in the manufacture of cement. The works of Bangs & Gaynor,
which were first founded in 1818 in the outskirts of the village are still
in operation, with a capacity of more than 1,000 barrels a day. A
cooper shop is in connection in which barrels are made for shipment of
the prodtict. In February, 1878, the Onondaga Gypsum Company was
organized for the manufacture of crude plaster. Several prominent
citizens were members of the company, but the manufacture was not
long continued. T. W. Sheedyhas a plaster mill about a mile north of
the village.

In 1851 John McVicker built the grist mill known in later years as
the Pearl Mills. R. C. Hatch took the property in 1854 and ran the
mill many years. It was finally burned and a feed mill now occupies
the site. Pearl barley was manufactured, besides the regular milling
business. The so-called Fayetteville mills, for making pearl barley and
flouring, was established in 1863 by Edward Johnson and were after-
wards operated by Northrup & Johnson. The mill was burned and
succeeded by the Snook knife factory.

The old paper mill, which has had a vai'ied career under different
100



794 ONONDAGA'S CENTENNIAL.

owners and occupants, is now operated under lease to the Fayetteville
Paper Company, which took possession October 23, 1894, from the
Beard estate. M. B. Kelly, and J. W. Hurlbut constitute the active
company. The mill was long operated by Beard, Grouse & Co.

Burhans & Blanchard carried on a large business' in the manufacture
of sash, doors, and blinds for many years. The business was founded
in 1855. The establishment is now idle.

The National Bank of Fayetteville was organized as a State bank in
1854, with a capital of $115,000. Harvey Edwards, president; Porter
Tremain, vice-president; Hiram Eaton, cashier. It was converted into
a national bank, with a capital of $140,000 in 1865. In 1887 the capital
was reduced to $60,000 and O. D. Blanchard was chosen president;
M. L. Peck, vice-president; R. W. Eaton, cashier. In December,
1894, the bank went ifito liquidation, P. H. Smith being chosen cashier.

The Farmers' Bank, a State bank, was organized in 1870, with capital
of $100,000. Myron Bangs was president, and F. M. Severance,
cashier. The institution failed and was closed up.

In the Beard block, to which reference has been made, is and has
been many years the Beard Hotel; it is now conducted by Morris
Grififln. On the site of the Grove Hotel a public house has been kept
many years and by various proprietors. Horace Grove took the
property in 1874 and ten years later rebuilt the house in its present
form, and still conducts it.

The Fayetteville Recorder was established in 1866 by F. A. Darling.
In 1874 it passed to possession of the Recorder Printing Association,
an4 was edited and managed by various persons until June 1, 1894,
when H. C. Beauchamp became its owner, and has continued its pub-
lication to the present time, making an interesting and useful news-
paper, well patronized and thoroughly satisfactory to its patrons.

The village of Fayetteville was incorporated by act of Legislature
May 6, 1844. It was reincorporated under the general law of April 3,
1870, and January 38, 1871. The first Board of Trustees were John
Sprague, president; Porter Tremain, Frederick Pratt, jr., George S.
Taylor, and Joseph Fitch. For the years following to the present
time the following have served as presidents of the village board :

Porter Tremain, 1845; John Watson, 1846; Caleb Whitford, 1847-49; Reuben H.
Bangs, 1850-51; William Parker, jr., 1852; James Mead, 1853; Jeremiah Decker, 1854;
John G. Reilly; 1855; Hiram Eaton, 1856; Nathan Seward, 1857; Hiram Eaton,
1858; R. H. Bangs, 1859; Hirm Eaton, 1860; R. H. Bangs, 1861-62; Hiram Eaton,
1863-64-65; Lewis H. Eaton, 1866-67; Joseph L. Mathews, 1868; Daniel Burhans,



THE TOWN OF MANLIU8. 795

1869-70; Henry L. Beard, 1871; Daniel Burhans, 1872; William Hurd, 1873; F. M.
Severance, 1874-75-76; Edward Collin, 1877-78; Charles Baker, 1879-83; T. E.
Quinby, 1883 ; John L. Boynton, 1884-86 ; Thurlow W. Carr, 1887 ; T. E. Quinby,
1888-90; Elisha Steadman, 1891; Wilham Austin, 1893; Henry J. Knapp, 1893;
Abram Sarg, 1894 ; Amos W. Close, 1895. John Ecker has been village clerk since
1883.

On May 3, 1892, the village voted to bond for $29,000 for a water
supply. An excellent plant was established, the water being taken
from living springs about one and one-half miles east of the village.
The system was placed in operation in the fall of 1892. The village is
now supplied with forty-four hydrants and the schedule of rates to con-
sumers is made so reasonable that the water is freely used.

A fire company was organized in the village August 30, 1845, and
was reorganized as Fire Company No. 1 in January, 1854. Hydra Fire
Company (fire and hose) was organized in 1861, and sufficed for fire ex-
tinguishment until the organization of the new water system

The village of Fayetteville is in Union School district No. 11, the bound-
aries of the district extending somewhat outside the village. The



Online LibraryDwight H. (Dwight Hall) BruceOnondaga's centennial. Gleanings of a century → online text (page 86 of 101)