E. Richard McKinstry.

Personal accounts of events, travels, and everyday life in America : an annotated bibliography online

. (page 7 of 20)
Online LibraryE. Richard McKinstryPersonal accounts of events, travels, and everyday life in America : an annotated bibliography → online text (page 7 of 20)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

of Texas roaring away on the boundary line of Texas and loudly
denouncing Taylor and his Cabinet." Although the Senate was
disappointing, Kinsey thought that the Patent Office was impres-
sive but "not large enough to hold all American ingenuity."

58 Manuscripts

From Washington, D.C., the travelers headed northwest
through Harpers Ferry, Virginia, to Pittsburgh, where Kinsey
met a friend, J. Richardson. He commented on the black smoke
that frequently enveloped the town: "Many times you cannot
see 3 Squares ahead it causes the bricks and paint to get black,
and makes the buildings to look old and gloomy." Heading fur-
ther west, Kinsey remarked that he approved of Cincinnati: "I
like the appearance of Cincinnati very much it is regularly laid
out and hansome." And even further west, he wrote about Chi-
cago, saying that he "enjoyed the rich scene, the clear blue
waves were lashing the shore." Midwesterners not only were
kind to strangers but also seemed to be satisfied with their lives.
Kinsey wrote that "they seemed to enjoy themselves as well or
perhaps better than those who live in palaces. It is a true saying
a contented mind is a continual feast."

Kinsey and Bemans then headed for home. Instead of retrac-
ing their steps, they journeyed along the Great Lakes to New
York State and then New England. They stopped at Niagara
Falls long enough for Kinsey to observe, "I can say nothing
about the grandeur of this place, those only who visit it can
appreciate such sublime and stupendious works of Nature."

M49 Konigmacher, A.

[Memorandum book]. 1817-20.
[80] p.; 32 cm.

On the pages of this manuscript A. Konigmacher mixes com-
ments about his business as a hardware merchant and personal
matters. Of the former, most of what concerned him related to
the better organization of his business. He wrote a note to him-
self, for example, to make out a list of his customers organized
by the towns in which they resided and another note to remind
himself to buy some ledgers to record his financial activities. He
also wished to get some bills of lading printed and bound. Konig-
macher was interested in the activities of his employees, so he
wanted to "draw a Sett of Rules & Regulations for the Govern-
ment of my Boys & Store and have them framed and hung up in
the Counting room." He needed to be able to forecast what he
hoped to sell and to that end wanted to "make out a Statement

Manuscripts 59

of the Sales of 6 mo. of the quantity of different kinds of articles
on order to know how to regulate orders exactly." In addition,
Konigmacher indicated that he would devise a list of the kinds
of tools used by various craftsmen, including silversmiths, coo-
pers, black- and whitesmiths, and enginemakers, to ensure that
enough of them were on hand for sale.

Konigmacher wrote memos to himself regarding personal
matters as well. He recorded that John Price borrowed his iron
wedges, that he hoped to get a German style stove, and that he
had just purchased a horse for $190. He hoped to write to his
correspondents in Germany as soon as time would permit, was
looking for Dutch herring, and needed to get his "bathing tub"
painted. Konigmacher recalled that to destroy garlic it had to be
pulled up while at seed and wrote about chimney care: "In order
to obviate the necessity of Sweeping a chimney have the mortar
with which you plaister the inside mixed with Salt and you will
find that during the warm Season the Sut will all peal off and
drop down and your chimney will be perfectly clean in the fall."

M50 Kunze, John Christopher, 1744-1807.
[Miscellaneous notebook]. 1785-93.
[154] p.; 19 cm.

John Christopher Kunze was born in Saxony at Artern on the
Unstrut, Germany, and graduated from the University of Leipzig
in 1763. He came to America in 1770 to assume a pastorate in
Philadelphia under the tutelage of Henry Melchior Muhlenberg,
the patriarch of the Lutheran Church in America. In 1784 Kunze
moved to New York City and filled the pulpit of Christ Church,
located at the corner of William and Frankfort streets. From 1784
until 1787 and again from 1797 until 1799, he taught oriental lan-
guages at Columbia College. Kunze was the author of many
books on religion and was well versed in astronomy, astrology,
numismatics, and languages. In addition to the languages of the
Orient, his native German, and English, he knew Greek, Latin,
Hebrew, Arabic, and Italian. Although he could never master
the pronunciation of English himself, Kunze was responsible for
recognizing the necessity of its use in America during the wor-
ship service of the Lutheran Church. John W. Francis character-

60 Manuscripts

ized Kunze in his Old New York as someone who was out of
touch with much that surrounded him: "He was so abstracted
from worldly concerns and the living manners of the times, that
like Jackey Barett, of Trinity College, Dublin, he practically
scarcely knew a sheep from a goat, though he might have
quoted to your satisfaction Virgil and Tibullus." Kunze married
Margaretta Henrietta Muhlenberg, the daughter of his mentor,
and was a favorite of New York society, counting Aaron Burr
among his friends.

Much of what Kunze included in his book is in the form of
lists. He listed the counties of Kentucky and New York, the
townships of New York, the population of the United States
state by state, memorable dates in American history, the recom-
mendations made by George Washington in his farewell
address, the salaries adopted by the United States Congress for
governmental officials, a record of exports from the port of
Goteborg, Sweden, and the names of the ships tied up in the
harbor of New York City. Kunze also included a cure for cancer,
a treatment for the bite of a mad dog, and a remedy for bugs.

Considering Kunze' s knowledge of oriental languages and
his vocation, it should not be surprising to find a description of
Chinese worship. The Chinese deity, wrote Kunze, was a figure
of a fat, laughing old man called a joss. The worshipper would
come to him and bow his head three times. He would then
throw two pieces of wood into the air, hoping they would land
either with both round sides or both flat sides up; good fortune
would then ensue. Devotion, called chin chin, followed. After
chin chin, the worshipper bowed again, threw more wood,
placed a lit taper in front of the joss, and departed.

The supplied title of this manuscript comes from a descrip-
tion of its contents that is written on page one. It is actually a
commonplace book, and many of its early pages are in German.

M51 Mabie, Charles A.
Diary for 1866.
1 vol. (unpaged); 16 cm.

In this short diary — it covers the keeper's activities from January
1 through April 24 only — the reader encounters a twenty-year-

Manuscripts 61

old Civil War veteran who was frequently depressed and despon-
dent either because of his memories of the war or the death of
his mother. Charles A. Mabie recalled his wartime experiences of
a year before three times in this volume: on January 1, he
remarked that a year earlier he had been with the army in South
Carolina; on January 31, he remembered guarding rebel officers
somewhere in Virginia; and on February 12, he wrote that he
had been in New York City with a load of prisoners from South
Carolina. As the diary opens, Mabie probably was working for
his brother in Walton, New York, a small town south of
Oneonta. By March 22, however, he had moved to Oneida, New
York, for a better job with S. Chapin and Son, a jewelry firm.
While there, he repaired glasses, rings, pins, clocks, and ear-
rings. Many passages of Mabie's diary discuss his deeply held
religious beliefs.

M52 [Manuscript diaries of a Boston artist: excursions, fishing, and
bird hunting]. 1851-54, 1857-63.
2 v.: ill. (some col.); 25 x 30 cm.

The two volumes of this diary record journeys and contain
eighty-one watercolors and pencil sketches by an unidentified
Boston artist who traveled as far south as Havana and as far
north as Montreal. The text has been transcribed and is available
in typescript. The above title has been adapted from the sup-
plied title of volume 1 .

Volume 1 contains an account of a trip that began in Febru-
ary 1851 and eventually took the diarist to Cuba. His first long
stopover was in Charleston, South Carolina, where he had
friends and relatives. In Charleston the traveler commented that
he had "had a very pleasant ride with Mrs. Brewster about the
city & noticed many improvements: if they do not secede this
will be a large city." While he was there he heard a sermon by
Dr. John Bachman, who in addition to his duties as a Lutheran
clergyman was a noted naturalist and collaborator of John James
Audubon. On March 1, he embarked on the steamer Isabel, for
Key West, Florida, and on March 18, he landed in Havana. Two
days later, he began to think that Havana was a stupid place
and that he "shall be glad to get out of it." On March 23, he

62 Manuscripts

attended a masquerade ball: "A grand bore it was — men smok-
ing, atmosphere horrid, women ugly." After what must have
been an interminable length of time, he left for home on May 9.
On his way north, the traveler stopped again in Charleston,
went through Annapolis and Philadelphia, then to New York
City. There he attended an exhibition at the American Art
Union, "where I saw a most execrable collection of trash, dis-
graceful to America, Art & Artists," a second exhibition that was
far superior at what he called the National Gallery, and a third
that turned out to be disappointing at the Dusseldorf Gallery.
He admired the works of Asher B. Durand, John F. Kensett, and
Jasper F. Cropsey that were on display in the second show. He
met his friend Victor Audubon, a son of recently deceased John
James, and accepted his invitation to spend a night at his coun-
try place. Victor's brother John was there, "the same old six-
pence, without his wife."

The second volume includes a description of another visit to
Charleston and a side trip to the nearby estate of Robert F. W.
Allston. Allston, an important antebellum political figure, owned
a large rice plantation and was known for his advanced tech-
niques of scientific agricultural management. The diarist had a
"long walk with Mr. Allston over his father's rice fields of which
he has the care" and then commented: "His rice fields look
queer enough." Heading further south, the diarist went to Jack-
sonville and St. Augustine, Florida, which he described as a min-
iature Havana.

During the latter half of the 1850s, the diarist traveled
through New England and Canada and seemed to be taking part
in incipient artists colonies in Vermont and Maine. Although
such colonies would be fairly common and even formalized
toward the turn of the century, at this time they had not found a
place among this earlier generation of artists. The diarist records
his activities as a member of these casual groups in volume 2.

Although the text that outlines the activities of the diarist is
informative, his illustrations play an equal if not more important
role in recording what he saw. The eighty-one pictures include
seascapes done on Key West, a cathedral in Havana, the old
Spanish gate and fort in St. Augustine, the Naval Academy and

Manuscripts 63

State House in Annapolis, a depiction of the Brewster House in
Charleston, the rice fields of the Allston plantation, city views in
Montreal, local landmarks (such as the mill and railroad bridge
in Brattleboro, Vermont), and the rocks at ocean's edge off Barn-
stable, Massachusetts.

M53 Marsh, E. S.

Memoir of the Centennial Exhibition of 1876. 1877.
4, [51] p., 8 leaves of plates: col. ill.; 25 cm.
E. S. Marsh composed these recollections of his three-week visit
to Philadelphia's Centennial International Exhibition on August
13, 1877, from his residence in Brandon, Vermont. He wrote in a
blank book that was prepared by the printing firm of J. H.
Coates and Company and marketed at the fairgrounds of the
exposition. In the preface to the book, called a publisher's note,
Marsh read: "A personal narrative of one's own observations
and impressions may be made a most interesting souvenir — for
a present to a friend, or to lay aside for the next generation, or
to preserve as a memento to oneself. ... It would make an excel-
lent paper to be read before literary societies and lyceums."
Coates and Company added that "the finished writing must of
course be done at leisure after the Exhibition has ended, but it
will be advisable to take notes during the visit to furnish data for
the full account." Coates and Company sold notebooks for just
such a purpose.

Marsh toured the principal buildings of the fairgrounds and
surveyed several of the smaller displays. He went through
Machinery Hall, Memorial Hall, Agricultural Hall, and Horticul-
tural Hall and wrote about such things as the Japanese dwelling,
the Swedish schoolhouse, and the temporary encampment of the
cadets of the United States Military Academy at West Point.
Most of Marsh's comments resemble those of a guidebook and
are very matter-of-fact. He did, however, reveal his thoughts in
some observations; he believed that the exhibit buildings were
fine specimens of architecture and regretted that all, except
Memorial Hall, would be torn down when the exhibition ended.
Marsh noted that the display of the Society for the Prevention of

64 Manuscripts

Cruelty to Animals "was sadly interesting" and then described
its rather gruesome contents.

At the end of Marsh's composition, he wrote: "At this point
my enthusiasm, or my time, or something, failed me, and these
'memoirs' will never be carried out as far as I at first intended."
He allowed, however, that his visit to the Centennial Exhibition
was among his most pleasant memories and that because of the
large size of the exhibition, nobody could comprehend it without
great study. Marsh concluded: "I take pride in thinking that I
was present at the Centennial Exhibition which commemorated
the deeds of the old Revolutionary heroes, and the foundation of
this Republic."

In addition to containing Marsh's handwritten text, this vol-
ume includes eight colored plates, published by Thomas Hunter
of Philadelphia and credited to artist J. Aubrun, depicting build-
ings specially constructed for the exhibition. Their captions
appear in English, German, and French.

M54 Mason, Hannah Rogers, b. 1806.

Diary; or, an account of the events of every day. 1825-27,
1830-34, 1836.
[92] p.; 21 cm.

Hannah Rogers Mason was the sixth and last child of Daniel and
Elizabeth Bromfield Rogers. As she began to keep this diary, her
father was on his deathbed, and one of her brothers, Henry,
was so ill that he believed a trip to Europe was the only thing
that could cure him. Many of the pages of this volume record
descriptions of similar agonizing events: the death of Hannah's
sister, Elizabeth, in 1826; the death of her mother in 1833; the
impoverishment of the Rogers family; and the departure of her
brother-in-law for Europe, leaving behind two young children in
Hannah's care. Hannah's preoccupation with religion is revealed
in her words. She noted after finishing a book by Madame de
Stael on the French Revolution that the United States was fortu-
nate to enjoy freedom of religion and not to have a Napoleon-
like leader who encroached upon the rights of man. Hannah
mentions a trip to the Catskill Mountains and another to Niagara
Falls. She wrote in 1826 that she believed women should confine

Manuscripts 65

themselves chiefly to performing good works for family and
friends and that it was contrary to the female character to lead a
public life. On October 24, 1831, Hannah married William P.
Mason, an attorney from Boston. Her diary ends on July 2, 1837,
with the birth of her second son.

Family information on Hannah can be found in New-England
Historical and Genealogical Register, vol. 13 (1859), pp. 68-69, and
vol. 26 (1872), p. 39.

M55 Mason, Jonathan, 1795-1884.

The recollections of a septuagenarian: written without any
attempt at elegant phraseology or fine writing, but currente
calamo as his thoughts and remembrances arose to his mind
between sundown and dark: for the amusement of his grandchil-
dren. 1881.

3 v.: ill., ports.; 20 cm.

Jonathan Mason, a native New Englander, recalls his childhood
and early adult life in Boston in the first volume of his recollec-
tions. He describes what the city looked like, including its
houses, stores, and street names; records the names of the resi-
dents of various dwellings; and details activities on the Com-
mon, such as the grazing of cattle. Mason was educated by
tutors and also attended private schools run by Nathan Webb
and William Welles. He entered Harvard in 1811. In 1813 he wit-
nessed the battle between the frigates Sliannon and Chesapeake
thirty miles off Boston harbor. After college Mason traveled to
Havana, Cuba, to recover from a tonsil operation and upon his
return to Boston in 1817 entered the business world with Samuel
Snelling as a commission merchant on India Wharf. In July 1822,
Mason decided that he had no taste for commercial life and gave
up his job.

From 1822 until 1824, Mason lived in England and France.
In London he boarded at a number of houses before settling on
a place on Great Marlborough Street. Although one of his duties
in London was to procure medical instruments to be used in a
new building being constructed for Massachusetts Hospital,
most of his activities revolved around the city's artistic commu-
nity. Mason befriended artists David Wilkie, Charles Robert Les-

66 Manuscripts

lie, Gilbert Stuart Newton, and Chester Harding. He took a
drawing class at Sass Gallery and studied under Henry Fuseli.
"He was," wrote Mason of Fuseli, "often very cross when look-
ing over the drawings but was excusable on account of his age
over seventy." Before leaving London for France in 1824, Mason
saw the future queen, Victoria, "then a little girl who we saw
one day playing hoop in the grounds fronting the [Kensington]

In France Mason met Lafayette and was a fellow passenger
on the ship that took Lafayette to the United States for his trium-
phal tour in 1824. Mason regretted not having written down the
anecdotes that Lafayette told about George Washington, the cap-
ture of Maj. John Andre, and other incidents of the Revolution.
Mason described the reception for Lafayette in New York City's
harbor and recounted that afterward Lafayette had asked Mason
if he could travel with him in a private conveyance to Boston.
Mason replied that the United States government would
undoubtedly provide a carriage. Lafayette's "usual answer was
'you're very kind.' "

From 1824 until 1834, Mason lived again in Boston and in
his recollections wrote about the people he knew. As in London,
most of his friends were artists. Mason recalled, for instance, a
visit that he, Alvan Fisher, and Thomas Doughty made to the
White Mountains of New Hampshire to paint and sketch. Of
Thomas Cole he wrote: "He accompanied me back to Troy,
where taking my horse and waggon we crost the country to
Northampton and on the top of Mt. Holyoke Cole made the
drawing from which he painted his picture of the Connecticut
Valley." Later, Mason led Cole around Boston so he could find a
suitable scene for a painting that he had been commissioned to
do for Baring Brothers, a London banking firm. Mason enjoyed a
warm friendship with Cole and considered him to have great
moral worth. Whenever Cole was in Boston, he stopped at
Mason's house.

Mason studied art under Gilbert Stuart and even received
one of Stuart's portraits of George Washington as a gift. Mason
wrote: "He used to let me sit in his room where he was painting
which it was said he would not allow any other person, not

Manuscripts 67

even his daughter, and although exceedingly eccentric which
most great professional men are apt to be and often bearish to
others I can conscientiously say I never recollect to have had an
unkind expression of any kind from him." Recalling Stuart's
advice, Mason wrote that "an artist is just half finished if he
leaves out the character of the sitter," and "he must be a gentle-
man to understand how to paint a gentleman."

Mason compared the portraits of George Washington by Stu-
art and Rembrandt Peale: "Rembrandt Peale's portrait has very
little of the dignity of Stuart's and gives a representation of a
heavy unexcitable character of no great intellect and no com-
manding appearance, whereas Stuart's has all we have heard
and read of Washington dignity, commanding appearance and
graceful bearing." Mason concluded by remarking that although
he greatly admired Stuart, Peale's work probably was historically
accurate. Mason had spoken with Josiah Quincy, a Boston politi-
cal figure and Harvard president, who had known Washington
and claimed that he was neither of commanding appearance nor
graceful but was a reticent country gentleman who did not seek

Other artists also figure in Mason's recollections. He
thought that Thomas Sully captured the likenesses of women bet-
ter than he did of men: "Sully I have never estimated as a great
artist, but he was the best female painter we had in those days
Stuart being deceased." John Vanderlyn, a Stuart pupil, did por-
traits to make a living but had real talent for historical scenes.
"Next to Allston I esteem him to have been the best colorist of
those days in the United States."

Mason went to Europe again in 1834 and visited old friends
and places. In London he met sculptor Horatio Greenough,
whom he had known since 1825, and learned that Stuart New-
ton was in a mental hospital. Mason was married on Novem-
ber 25, 1834, in Florence, Italy. Greenough was his groomsman
and accompanied the couple on their wedding trip through Italy,
Switzerland, and France. Recalling this trip later, Mason mused
that "it is not impossible (if we may judge from the discoveries
since my boyhood) but that they [his grandchildren] may cross
the Ocean on wings some day future."

68 Manuscripts

From 1834 to 1851, Mason resided in Boston with his wife
and six children. In 1851 the family left Boston because of Mrs.
Mason's failing health to live in Pau, France, located at the base
of the Pyrenees. She died on April 6 of that year. Mason
remained in Europe for about twelve years, chiefly in Vevey,
Switzerland, where he rented part of a chateau that had been
built in 1839. While living in Switzerland, Mason had a close
brush with paralysis. He was confined to his room as a conse-
quence of depression and "bodily complaints" and thought that
a course of hydropathy would cure him. After treatments with
cold water, he found that it was difficult to walk. Mason
stopped his therapy when he saw someone else who had under-
gone hydropathy and who was now unable to walk at all. "My
escape I consider providential," he reflected.

Mason's father was a prominent Boston political figure who
had served in the Massachusetts statehouse as well as in both
the United States House of Representatives and Senate. It
should not be surprising, therefore, to find references in these
recollections to American statesmen and current events. Mason's
father, for example, once gave Aaron Burr $100 to travel from
Boston to New York. In 1832 Mason visited vice president John
C. Calhoun, who received him in his bedroom while shaving
just before he delivered a speech in the Senate. Mason met
Andrew Jackson in Washington, D.C., in 1832 to ask for letters
of introduction and again in 1833 while the president was in Bos-
ton. Mason went to the Senate with Washington Irving to hear
Henry Clay speak on the Missouri Compromise. Finally, the poli-
tics that culminated in the Civil War led to the wounding of one
of Mason's sons, Herbert, and the death of another, Philip, in

These recollections are copies and except for a few notations
of corrections were written by someone other than Mason. The
final two pages, however, are in his handwriting. In 1881 Mason
complained about growing old and feeling alone, for three of his
six children were dead. Mason ended his recollections by writing
the twenty-third psalm. The illustrations and portraits show
Mason family members and are pasted on the inside of the

Manuscripts 69

M56 Meigs, Henry, 1782-1861.

Meteorological notes &c &c commenced Jany 26, 1833. 1833-36.
[188] p.: ill.; 21 cm.

Henry Meigs was a native of New Haven, Connecticut, a gradu-

1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Online LibraryE. Richard McKinstryPersonal accounts of events, travels, and everyday life in America : an annotated bibliography → online text (page 7 of 20)