Edgar Holmes Plummer.

Westfield's quarter millennial anniversary official souvenir ... Published in connection with the 250th anniversary on the founding of the town of Westfield, Massachusetts, under the supervision of the Souvenir program committee, William F. Lyman, chairman online

. (page 1 of 9)
Online LibraryEdgar Holmes PlummerWestfield's quarter millennial anniversary official souvenir ... Published in connection with the 250th anniversary on the founding of the town of Westfield, Massachusetts, under the supervision of the Souvenir program committee, William F. Lyman, chairman → online text (page 1 of 9)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


■^^










"^






^^^^ ^M^. X 0^ ^ c :SS^ '^^ ^"^ ^m^,. \














^ < *>






^\%_^, /\







••/.,-^...% - -v^'..-..%



•- ^^ -^^ %' • - , ■^^













•Jo . . ^



. v' - Mi/? ■ .0 ^ • vv






• • * « '

(.0-7-



^"■^^^













'^ oy o> x^ ed in the morning breeze; in the
lofty pine, that defied a thousand whirlwinds; in the timid warbler,
that never left its native grove; in the fearless eagle, whose untired
pinion was wet in clouds; in the worm that crawled at his feet; and
in his own matchless form, glowing with a spark of that light to
whose mysterious source he bent, in humble, though blind, adoration.

And all this has passed away. Across the ocean came a pilgrim
bark, bearing the seeds of life and death. The former were sown for
you; the latter sprang up in the path of the simple native. Two
hundred years have changed the character of a great continent, and
blotted forever from its face a whole peculiar people. Art has usurped
the bowers of nature, and the children of education have been too
powerful for the tribes of the ignorant.



Chronology of Westfield

Louis M. Dkwkv
Copyrinhud, 1, tXT-tg *i*-^



..^E>yEB..T^e24
OF SEpf :r$>!l5 ?:'



-u^



















WESTFIELD'S CHARTER

at Boston, 19th



"Att a General Court of l-.lection, helc
1669.



)f Ma'



John Root IHmhstone

1670. James Cornish and Joseph Whiting were elected selectmen.
(Some of the early records for 1669-70 are missing.) A burying




IhMnKicAi. Map of Westiikld
Ccii)\iis>liiccl, 1905



place was prohahly provkkd for at this time. (Now east of
Mecluinic street.)

Ill December, Jedediah Dewey was granted a homelot between
Conner's Bookstore and P.irkg ^Ijlock, extending west of Hampden
street.

The town was laid out in September, five miles wide at north
rnd, nine miles long southwest, and four miles wide at south end.
In this tract the country road covered about three stjuare miles
and two more sc|uarc miles were covered by the farms of .Atherton
aiul Clapp at Pochassic, on both sides of the river.

C.eorge Coulton was the deputy from Springfield for this term.

1 (i7 1 . .A highway was laid out at the upper enti of H undred acres.

Rev. Moses Fisk had succeeded Rev. John Holyoke and
l)reached here three years up to November, 1671, when Thomas
Dewey went to "the Bay," obtained Rev. Edward Taylor, and
returned on horseback on the first of December.

1()7_'. March 26. First Court consisted of Capt. Aaron Cook, Mr.
Joseph Whiting, and George Phelps, who were "to end small
causes." At this time Hugh Dudley and wife, Elizabeth Cooke
and Mary Fowler, of Westfield, were before the court for being
extravagant ,uid wearing silk in a Haunting manner.

This year saw the completion of the first successful mill on
Two-mile brook, in Little River district, by Joseph Whiting and
Thomas, Josiah, and Jedediah Dewey. They were to have the
twelfth part of the corn they ground.

A meeting house, thirty-six feet square by fourteen feet high
and in form like the one at Hatfield, was also built.

Joseph Whiting, Deacon Thomas Hanchet. John Root, John
Sackett, and Aaron Cook were the building committee. It was
located on Main street near present Little Ri\er iiridge in March,
1672. A bridge was also placed over Two mile lnook. now
Great Brook, Little Ri\er district.



Fences were made up by March, 1676; the minister's salary was
£60. Josiah Dewey built the minister's house and was paid m
land, February, 1676.

The population at this time was about 150.

1673. Highway to Springfield la'd out.




?«»»*










IIJ?;"/>"T?iK.^



j>JSi^




P.\LIS.4DES .\ND ElOCK HoCSS

An Expected Att.ack by I.noi.\ks'



10



KING PHILIP'S WAR

1()75 0. CoiiHicts at XorthfRld


1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Online LibraryEdgar Holmes PlummerWestfield's quarter millennial anniversary official souvenir ... Published in connection with the 250th anniversary on the founding of the town of Westfield, Massachusetts, under the supervision of the Souvenir program committee, William F. Lyman, chairman → online text (page 1 of 9)