Edward Manning] [Ruttenber.

Historical sketch [of Newburgh, N.Y.] online

. (page 4 of 5)
Online LibraryEdward Manning] [RuttenberHistorical sketch [of Newburgh, N.Y.] → online text (page 4 of 5)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Carter & McCann, Alexander McCann, and the present
occupant, John W. McCuUough.

John Cooper was the first brewer of ales. He com-
menced the business in 1804, in "Water street near
Lawson & Donnelly's tan-yard." James Dunlap was
the next; he erected the malt-house on Liberty street,
corner of Washington. James Law was the associate of
Mr. Dunlap for some time prior to 18 16, and became his
successor during that year. James Beveridge was Mr.
Law's associate in 1822. John Beveridge and John
Forsyth were added to the firm in 1825, under the firm-
name of Law, Beveridge & Co. On the death of Mr.
Law the business was continued by his surviving part-
ners and E. Ward Farrington, under the title of J. Beve-
ridge & Co. Robert A. Forsyth, Thomas Beveridge
and Jonas Williams succeeded the old firm ; the business
is now conducted by the two last named gentlemen.
The malt-house at the foot of Clinton street was occupied
by Ledyard & DuBois in 1822, and constituted one of
the three breweries of that time. John Howard started
a brewery in the old whaling store-house about i860.
He made a small fortune during the war of the rebellion,
and abandoned the trade and returned to Eng-land.
Others have been in the business, but without success.

James Ren wick erected a distillery on the dock to
which he gave his name (now Bigler's), sometime about
1790, and run it for several years. He laid out streets
and founded a church from his profits. At Balmville
the Butterworths subsequently had a distillery, and also
made money by it.

Benjamin Roe was the first saddle and harness maker ;
he had his shop in the old Colden house at the head of
the gore. William P. Dodge (1799) was the first who
appeared by advertisement. Henry Tudor was his suc-
cessor in 1802. Tudor claimed to be a descendant of the



HISTORICAL SKETCH. 43



Tudors of England. By marryinj^ the daujjhlcr of Bcnj.
Smith he obtained title to a considerable |jorti«jn ol the
old villaj^t, l)iit nevertheless died poor. John I). Law son
was the conteni[)orarv ol Dodj^e and Tudor; Robert
Lawson, ( iSio), Benj. F. Buckingham. Lewis jemiings
and John R. Wiltsie brought the trade down to the
present generation. Mr. Wiltsie, it may be remarked,
after a successful career in the trade, changed his voca-
tion to that of banker and liroker. which business he
now conducts in company with his son — the first and
only establishment of the kind in the city.

The first tanner was Phineas Howell; the first currier
Peter Doimelly. The former had his shop on the north-
west corner of Smith and Third streets. Prior to 1800
Levi Dodge had a tannery in North- Water street. In
1804 John D. Lawson and James Donnelly conducted (in
partnershij)) the business ol tanners and curriers at the
yard subsequently owned by David H. Barclay. The
partnership was dissolved soon after, and .Mr. Donnelly
established a new yard ; William NLithewson was his
associate in 181 1, and James Wood in 1816. The latter
sold to Jonathan Faulkner in t820; D(jnnellv \ Faulkner
sold to vSamuel J. Farnuni and George Southwick about
1829; Southwick sold his half to Lewis Jennings in 1832.
Mr. Jennings subsequently purchased Mr. Farnum's in-
terest, and at a later period had Mr. McKinstry for his
associate. The old buildings were torn down and the
yard permanently discontinued in 1876. The original
Lawson «Sc Donnelly yard was purchased by Saml. G.
Sneden and David H. Barclay in the spring of 1824, and
continued as a morocco factory. .Mr. Sneden died in
1836, and Mr. Barclay sold to James Dickey in 1870.
Their predecessors in the trade were Enos Randol and
Josiah Brackett, in [816.

Very few of the ancient houses of Newburgh were
painted ; that luxury could not be afforded by the inhab-
itants generally, nor was it the fashion of the times.



46



CITY OF NEWBURGH.



What painting was done was usually performed by car-
penters, who also made the doors and sash and " set the
glass." Painting and glazing, as a distinct branch of
mechanical industry, was first conducted (1804) by Syl-
vester Roe, who in 18 10, in company with Thos. Phillips,
under the firm-name of Roe & Phillips, opened a store
"on the corner of Second street, opposite to the ferry,"
where they carried on "the painting business in all its
various branches," and kept for sale Rensselaer and
Bristol Glass, and also oils and paints. Their old store
is still standing on the corner, but is no longer " opposite
to the ferry " in the sense that it was then. Phillips &
Seymour were their successors in 18 16, and subsequently
John D. Phillips; the shop of the latter was back on the
river bank immediately adjoining the United States
hotel, where it stood until about 1840, when it was
eclipsed by the log cabin which was erected by the whig
party. Phillips & Farrington were the successors, in
1 8 16, of Thomas Allen, who commenced business some
years previously. Farrington & Lander (Daniel Farring-
ton and Benjamin Lander) were their successors and the
contemporaries of John D. Phillips ; their store and shop
in 1830 was on the site of the present No, 10 Water
street. Daniel Farrington continued the business after
the death of Mr. Lander in 1839, ^"^ Ezra and Daniel
Farrington, Jr., after the death of their father until 1875.
Around these pioneer shops others sprang up, of which
that of James S. Young was the first. George Clark
was associated with him in 1841, under the title of Young
& Clark. Mr. Clark withdrew and went to New York,
and Mr. Young was succeeded by Orange Webster.
Adam Lilburn, who learned the trade with J. D. Phillips,
was contemporary with Young & Clark. He sold to
E. T. Comstock, who subsequently had Levi L. Living-
ston for his associate. Meanwhile C. M. Leonard and
Ed. Post started a shop adjoining Comstock & Living-
ston, on Front street. Peter Ward bought Mr. Post's



HISTORICAL SKKTCH. 47

interest in i860, and established the hrm cwinjj, .inil the fin>l principlc» of the Knglish language, taught fur
three ilollars a quarter.

"The tine brant hci of needle work, reading, writing, arithmrii- I ....'. .k
grammar, orthography, pronunciation, com|x»ilion, hettet Ultra, .
and the tirst elements of xstronomy, drawing and painting, for iw
quarter.

" Hoarding provided at one and a half dollars per week the hoarden find-
ing their own nedding and washing.

So it seems they tried to make usclul as well as accom-
plished ladies at the schools. John Gault had somethinjij
of a private school in the Academv in 1802; he tauj^ht
the English branches to "young ladies and gentlemen,"
and "declined the idea of teaching Latin or Cxreek." as
there was a " Grammar School established in the .Acade-
my." Robert Gardiner, in 1804, opened a school in part
of his coffee-house — the low'er part having been rented
to R. Havman — where for a time he received females
only, for the reason among others that "modestv in
many young women is a common preventative of going
to school amongst boys;" but he learned better by ex-
perience and mixed his pupils. The more modern pri-
vate schools were those of Mr. .\lzamora and .Mr. I'hin-
ney, and the female". school by the Misses Phillips on the
corner now the site of the Savings Bank.

The public schools of the citv are now maintained in
edifices of modern construction and under modern rules
ol instruction, embracing very ex|)ensive structures. verN
limited school hours, and verv lengthv vac ations. Still
it is wKit is now regarded as a splendid system and
under the broadest rule of liberalitv. Not Ie«»s than a
quarter of a million f)f dollars is invested in buildings
and furniture, and the annual expenditure reaches about
$65,000 in a population not over five thousand more
numerous than when the annual expense did not exceed



56 CITY OF NEWBURGH.

$10,000. This fact bears its own testimony to progress
and attests the Hberahty of the public,

CONCLUSION.

From the data which has been given it requires but
httle effort to repeople the cit}- with its ancient merchants,
mechanics and professional men, and renew their ac-
quaintance. Take the block from Third to Fourth street,
and we may start with Howell's tavern ; then came
Phineas June's ; then Wallace & Moore's store ; then
Ebenezer B. Ayres' watch and clock store, and John D.
Lawson's saddlery, and finally Robert Gardiner's coffee-
house and store. From Third to Second were John
McAuley's store ; Denniston & Abercrombie, Alexander
Falls, John Brown, Joseph Hoffman, and Hoffman &
Roe. Th€ recapitulation, however, must be left to the


1 2 4

Online LibraryEdward Manning] [RuttenberHistorical sketch [of Newburgh, N.Y.] → online text (page 4 of 5)