Edwin L. (Edwin Luther) Green.

A history of the University of South Carolina online

. (page 32 of 38)
Online LibraryEdwin L. (Edwin Luther) GreenA history of the University of South Carolina → online text (page 32 of 38)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

at Averysboro, March 1, 1865.

Doby, Afred English: (1840-1864), of Camden, A. B. 1858,
aide to General Kershaw; killed in battle of Wilderness,
May 6, 1864.

DuBose, Edwin: (1825-1865), of St. John's Berkeley, left
in 1844 in the junior class; lieutenant; died April 21, 1865,
of fever contracted in camp.

Fairlee, George M. : of Marion, A. B., 1856 ; captain of
company in Orr's Rifles; died of pneumonia in winter of

Ferguson, Richard Calhoun: (1832-1862), of Laurens Dis-
trict, left in 1851 in the junior class ; cavalryman in Colonel
Black's regiment ; died at Richmond, December 19, 1862.

Fisher, Charles Atwood: (1834-1862), of Clarendon
County, A. B. 1855; lieutenant in Colonel DeSaussure's
company; died at Smith's Farm hospital, September 24,

Foster, Louis Perrin: (1837-1862), of Cedar Spring, A. B.
1858; captain of Company K, Third South Carolina Vol-
unteers; fell at Fredericksburg, December 13, 1862.

Fraser, Andrew Crawford: (1842-1862), of Winnsboro,
left with College Cadets ; member of Company I, Sixth South
Carolina Volunteers; killed at Seven Pines, May 31, 1862.

Gaillard, Franklin: (1829-1864), of Upper St. John's, A.
B. 1849; lieutenant of the Second Regiment; killed at the
Wilderness, May 6, 1864.

Gary, John Hillary: (1838-1863), of Cokesbury, A. B.
1861 ; captain of College Cadets ; died August 17, 1863, from
wounds received at Battery Wagner, of which he was in

Gaston, Isaac Newton: (1837-1861), of Chester County,
A. B. 1856; member of Sixth regiment; died at Fairfax
Court House, Va., September 1, 1861.

Gaston, Joseph Lucius: (1829-1862), of Chester County,


A. B. 1852; captain of Company F, Sixth regiment; killed
at Seven Pines, May 31, 1862.

Gist, State Rights: (1831-1864), of Union County, A. B.
1850; brigadier-general; killed at Franklin, Tenn., Novem-
ber 30, 1864.

Gist, William Murena: (1841-1863), of Union County,

A. B. 1859; major in the Fifteenth South Carolina Volun-
teers ; killed at Knoxville, Tenn., November 18, 1863.

Glover, Thomas Jamison: (1830-1862), of Orangeburg, A.

B. 1849 ; colonel of First South Carolina Volunteers ; killed
at Second Manassas, August 31, 1862.

Goodwyn, Edward Middleton: (1835-1862), of Fort
Motte, left in 1855 in junior class; lieutenant of Columbia
Grays ; killed at Sharpsburg, 1862.

Goodwyn, Robert Howell: (1825-1864), of Richland, A. B.
1842 ; wounded and died in hospital near Richmond in 1864.

Guerard, Joseph N.: (1842-1865), of Georgia, left in 1861
in junior class; member of Savannah Guards; died in
Lincoln hospital, Washington, June 30, 1865.

Hampton, Thomas Preston: of Columbia, left in 1861 in
sophomore class ; fell in battle at age of eighteen.

Hance, James Washington: (1828-1863), of Laurens, left
in 1852 in junior class; lieutenant-colonel of Fifty-third
Georgia regiment, Semme's brigade; killed at Gettysburg,
July 2, 1862.

Harllee, Robert Armstrong: (1842-1862), of West Marion,
now Florence County; went out with College Cadets; ser-
geant in Company I, Eighth South Carolina regiment; died
at Manassas, March 2, 1862.

Hopkins, James Ward: (1832-1864), of Charleston, A. B.
1852; captain of the Sumter Guards; fell at Petersburg,
June 16, 1864.

Jamison, David Flavel: (1810-1864), of Orangeburg Dis-
trict, left in 1837 in senior class ; president of secession con-
vention, judge advocate general, died at Charleston, Sep-
tember 24, 1864.

Keitt, Lawrence Massilon: (1824-1864), of St. Matthews,
A. B. 1843 ; fell at Cold Harbor leading Kershaw's Brigade ;
died June 2, 1864.


Kinard, John Martin: (1833-1864), of Newberry County,
left in 1852 in sophomore class; acting lieutenant-colonel
in Colonel Keitt's regiment when he fell at Strasburg, Va.,
October 13, 1864.

King, Henry Campbell: (1819-1862), of Charleston, A. B.
1839; captain of Sumter Guards; killed at Secession ville.

LaBorde, Oscar Whitfield: (1838-1865), of Edgefield
Court House, A. B. 1859; killed at Averysboro, March 16,

Lang, Edward Brevard: (1824- ), of Camden, left in
1847 in sophomore class; died in service as a soldier from

Ligon, George Anderson: (1841-1862), of Laurens Dis-
trict, left in 1860 in sophomore class ; sergeant-major in
Colonel James's Third Battalion, South Carolina Volun-
teers ; died at Richmond, October, 1862.

Martin, William: (1837-1861), of Columbia, left in 1854
in sophomore class; member of Columbia Artillery; died at
Fort Moultrie, February 21, 1861.

Martin, William Heyland: (1841-1862), of Beaufort Dis-
trict, A. B. 1860; Company H, First South Carolina Vol-
unteers ; died of typhoid fever near Eichmond, July 16, 1862.

Maxwell, Thomas Edward: (1840-1862), of Pendleton, A.
B. 1860 ; fell at Second Manassas.

Means, Beverly William: (1833-1862), of Fairfield
County, left in 1851 in junior class; sergeant-major; killed
at Seven Pines.

Means, John Hugh: (1812-1862), of Fairfield District, A.
B. 1832 ; colonel of Seventeenth South Carolina Volunteers ;
fell at Second Manassas.

Means, Julius Howell: (1840-1862), of Columbia, left in
1859 in sophomore class; died at Richmond, July 24, 1862.

Means, Waddy Thompson, of Alabama, A. B. 1852; in
artillery service; died at Winnsboro in 1865.

Milling, John Robert, of Fairfield, A. B. 1856 ; first lieu-
tenant, Company G, Sixth South Carolina Infantry; fell at
Fort Harrison, Va., September 30, 1864.

Moore, Andrew Charles: (1838-1862), of Spartanburg


County, A. B. 1858; Company E, Eighteenth South Caro-
lina Volunteers; killed at Second Manassas, August 30, 1862.

McCaa, B. B.: (1823-1863), of Camden, left in 1842 in
senior class; captain of an Alabama company; killed at Mur-
freesboro, January 3, 1863.

McCord, Langdon Cheves: (1841-1863), of Columbia, left
in 1860 in junior class; captain of Company H, Hampton
Legion; died January, 1863.

McCutchen, George H.: (1840-1865), of Bishopville, left
in 1861 in junior class; died January 5, 1865.

McGowan, Alexander Hamilton: (1832-1864), of Cross
Hill, A. B. 1855; died January 4, 1863.

McGowan, Samuel, of Cross Hill, Laurens County; left
in junior class as member of College Cadets ; died in hospital
near Culpepper, Va.

McLaurin, Tristram B. : of Marlboro District, senior 1861 ;
died at the college in May from disease caused by the trip of
the College Cadets.

McLemore, John Caldwell: (1835-1862), of Florida, left in
1854 in sophomore class; captain; wounded at Second
Manassas; died September 19, 1862.

McLeod, Donald McDairmed: (1822-1863), of Hunt's
Bluff, A. B. 1847; major, Eighth South Carolina Volun-
teers ; killed at Gettysburg, July 3, 1863.

McQueen, William Alexander: (1839-1865), of Cheraw,
A. B. 1860; second lieutenant in Garden's Battery; killed
at Sumter, April 9, 1865.

McPheeters, Gabriel: (1831-1862), of Mississippi, A. B.
1850 ; colonel of the Crescent Regiment of Louisiana ; killed
at Labadieville, October 2, 1862.

Me Willie, Adams: (1821-1861), of Kershaw County, left in
1842 in senior class ; captain of Camden Rifles, Miss. ; killed
at Manassas, July 21, 1861.

Nelson, Patrick Henry: (1824-1864), of Clarendon
County, A. B. 1844; commanded Nelson's Battalion; killed
at Petersburg, June 24, 1864.

Niles, Edwards: (1835-1864), of Camden, left in 1856 in
junior class ; died at Camden in 1864.


Norwood, William Tully: (1840-1865), of Abbeville, A. B.
1860 ; sergeant ; died March 24, 1865.

Nott, Henry Junius: (1838-1862), of Alabama, A. B.
1857; first lieutenant; died of typhoid fever after battle of

Nott, James Deas: (1834-1863), of Alabama, left in 1856
in junior class; captain; killed at Chickamauga.

Patterson, Josiah: (1815-1864), of Abbeville District, A.
B. 1833 ; lieutenant, Company E, Fourteenth Georgia Volun-
teers; killed at Spottsylvania Court House, May 12, 1864.

Pearson, John H., of Newberry County, left in 1837 in
junior class; captain; died in Columbia.

Perrin, James M. : (1822-1863), of Abbeville District, A.
B. 1843; colonel, First South Carolina Volunteers; died of
wound at Chancellorsville, May 4, 1863.

Perrin, William Henry: (1838-1862), of Abbeville, A. B.
1858; one of the "Minute Men," afterwards in Orr's Rifles;
killed at Games' Mill, June 27, 1862.

Porcher, Percival: (1829-1864), of Pineville, A. B. 1849;
died in Jackson Hospital, June, 1864.

Porcher, William E.: (1823-1864), of Berkeley County, A.
B. 1844; killed on John's Island, July 7, 1864.

Powe, Thomas Erasmus: (1838-1863), of Cheraw, A. B.
1857; captain, Company C, Eighth South Carolina Volun-
teers; died from wound at Gettysburg, July 22, 1863.

Preston, William C.: (1837-1864), of Columbia, left in
1856 in senior class ; major of artillery ; killed near Atlanta,
July 20, 1864.

Pringle, Robert: (1837-1863), of Charleston, left in 1856
in senior class; captain; killed at Battery Wagner, August
31, 1863.

Ross, James Alexander, of Charleston, left in 1858 in
senior class; first lieutenant, Company A, Twenty-fifth
South Carolina Volunteers; fell near Petersburg, August 21,

Royall, James P.: (1840-1862), of James Island, left in
1858 in freshman class ; killed at Malvern Hill, July 1, 1862.

Seabrook, Cato Ashe: (1831-1862), of Edisto Island, A. B.


1851 ; adjutant to General Jenkins ; killed at Second Manas-
sas, August 30, 1862.

Seabrook, Paul Hamilton: (1827-1862), of Edisto Island,
A. B. 1847; captain in Twenty-third South Carolina Volun-
teers; died from wound at Second Manassas, September 6,

Shannon, A.: (1844- ), of Camden, left in 1862 in
sophomore class ; killed near close of war.

Sloan, Joseph Berry: (1829-1862), of Pendleton, A. B.
1850; captain; killed at Fredericksburg.

Smith, Augustus Marshall: (1827-1862), of Abbeville
County, A. B. 1848 ; lieutenant-colonel of Gregg's Regiment ;
died from wound at Games' Mill, June 30, 1862.

Smith, Henry Julius: (1832-1862), of Charleston, left in
1852 in freshman class; captain of Gist's Rifles; killed at
Sharpsburg, September 21, 1862.

Smith, Landgrave Thomas, of Georgetown County, A. B.
1855; killed in Georgia.

Smith, Ralph Henry: (1837-1862), of Glenn Springs, left
in 1861 in junior class; died from wound at Seven Pines,
June 24, 1862.

Starke, Reuben O., of Edgefield County, left in 1850 in
senior class; died in 1864.

Stuart, Allan: (1835-1864), of Beaufort, left in 1854 in
junior class; died at Aiken, December, 1864.

Stuart, Edmund Rhett: (1842-1862), of Richland County,
left in 1861 in sophomore class ; lost at Second Manassas.

Stuart, Henry Middleton: (1841-1865), of Beaufort, lieu-
tenant in First South Carolina Artillery; killed at Benton-
ville in 1865.

Sullivan, Warren Pinckney: (1840-1861), of Laurens,
left in 1861 in junior class; corporal, Company A, Third
South Carolina Infantry; died at Charlottesville, 1861.

Taylor, William Haynes : (1838-1862), of Columbia, left in
1856 in junior class; acting adjutant of Hampton Legion;
fell near Fredericksburg, April 18, 1862.

Thornwell, Gillespie Robbins: (1844-1862), of Richland
County, left in 1861 in freshman class; one of Butler's
Scouts; fell at Warrenton, Va., 1862.


Wallace, Edward: (1838-1863), of Columbia, A. B. 1858;
first lieutenant ; died April 9, 1863.

Waller, Peleus Augustus: (1828-1864), of Abbeville
County, A. B. 1845; first lieutenant, Sixty-fourth Georgia;
killed at Olustee, Fla., February 20, 1864.

Wardlaw, Thomas Lamar: (1838-1862), of Edgefield Dis-
trict, A. B. 1860 ; first lieutenant, First Regular South Caro-
lina Infantry; killed at Fort Moultrie, July 17, 1862.

Watson, Elihu Wesley: (1838-1865), of Laurens County,

A. B 1858; adjutant, Fifth Alabama Cavalry; killed April,
1865, in Virginia.

Whitaker, Thomas M. : (1839-1864), of Kershaw County,
left in 1860 in junior class; in Jenkins' and Bratton's com-
mands; killed at Fort Harrison, Va., September 30, 1864.

White, William Henry: (1836-1862), of Abbeville, A. B.
1857; captain, Company K, Second South Carolina Rifles;
killed at Second Manassas.

Wier, Robert Long: (1829-1861), of Laurens County, A.

B. 1851 ; second lieutenant of Nance's Quitman Rifles ; died
near Centreville, Va., November 5, 1861.

Williams, Washington Albert: (1839-1863), of Laurens
County, A. B. 1859 ; captain, Company F, Third South Caro-
lina Volunteers ; killed at Chickamauga, September 25, 1863.

Witherspoon, John Alfred: (1841-1860), of Yorkville, left
in 1860 in junior class; captain, Company C, Seventeenth
South Carolina Regiment; killed at Warrenton, Va., Octo-
ber 19, 1862.

This list is taken from the alumni records as far as com-
piled by Professor A. C. Moore.


Extracts from The Burning of Columbia, by William A.
Nicholson, Columbia, 1895.

"Later on I was assigned to duty as clerk for Surgeon
Horlbeck in the college hospital in Columbia. When the
Second North Carolina Hospital was organized by Surgeon




A. W. Thomson in the College Chapel, he made application
for my detail as his clerk. He was then ranking surgeon
of the post, if not of the Confederacy

"It was only when Sherman's army was in the vicinity of
Columbia he fully realized how near the end was.

"Orders were given to hoist a yellow flag on the College
Chapel that the enemy might know what the building was
used for. The sick and wounded from the other hospitals
in the city were being sent away to different points. Those
unable to take such a journey were concentrated in College
Hospitals Nos. 1 and 2 in the South Carolina College build-
ings. While this was being done I received a list from
Chief Surgeon Thomson of the names of the doctors then
on duty in Columbia that were ordered to report for duty
at points beyond the city.

"While engaged in writing out those orders a number of
Confederate cavalrymen congregated in the middle of the
street close to the College Chapel. Their presence was dis-
covered by the Federal forces then on the opposite side of
the Congaree, who soon brought their artillery to play, not-
withstanding the hospital flag was still floating from the
chapel building. The music from the shot and shell was
getting most uncomfortable, and I quietly reminded him
of the situation; but, as if it were an every day occurrence
with him, he urged me to go on and get through with my

"On the night of the 16th of February our troops were on
the march the whole night retreating before Sherman's army.
On the morning of the 17th Dr. Thomson went to Janney's
Hotel headquarters for Surgeon Otto, chief of General
Beauregard's medical staff to get orders, telling me before
starting to have an ambulance in readiness with some pro-
visions in case he should receive orders to follow our army.
On reaching the hotel he found the officers gone and that
he must decide for himself the course he should pursue.

"His duty, he realized, was plainly marked out, and that
was to remain with the 180 or 190 sick and dying then in
the hospital. When he told how matters stood, and assured


me if I was taken prisoner he would do everything in his
power for me, (the Federal army by this time had entered
the city,) all I could say in reply was, I would follow him
in whatever position he was placed. The tears were coursing
down my cheeks as well as his as we stood holding each
other's hands. He then gave me instruction to move our
baggage to the President's house of the South Carolina
College, in the college campus. He went in search of the
officer in command in the city in order that he might secure
a guard to be placed around the hospital buildings. Colonel
Stone, the Federal commandant of the post, promptly com-
plied with the request, and sent a lieutenant and a number
of men from an Ohio regiment, they making their quarters
on the first floor of the house we were occupying, we using
the second.

"By this time a large part of the army had entered the
city, a portion of it, headed by Generals Blair and Slocum,
passing the college campus on their way to camp on the
Rev. Mr. Townsend's farm. They were a splendid looking
body of men, and naturally felt elated at having taken what
they regarded as the cradle of secession.

"From the time the troops passed the College campus, till
about five o'clock, nothing of very special interest occurred.
It is true fires in different parts of the city had occurred
during the day; but it was not until after dark on the
17th of February that the work of fiendish destruction began.
The troops from the various camps began to pour into the
city like locusts, the fires becoming more numerous as
darkness set in. Dr. Thomson and I took our position in
the cupola of the College building to watch the progress of
the flames. We saw the Federal soldiers plainly setting fire
to the State House, the light from the burning building
making it light as day. While viewing this awful scene
the cry reached us that the hospital buildings had caught
fire. The wind was at this time blowing furiously, and the
burning embers were falling thick as hail. Before our reach-
ing the ground the cry of fire had reached the ears of the


helpless and dying men in the hospital. These poor creatures
were crawling on their hands and knees from the building
to avoid what they feared would be a more awful death than
the one which it was only a question of a very brief period
would relieve them from their mental and physical sufferings.

"The scene that presented itself to me at that hour can
never be effaced from my memory. The sight of these brave,
dying men crawling in their helplessness from the different
wards, the burning embers falling so fast that it required
the exertions of an active person to keep their clothing from
being burnt on their persons, the screams of women and
children, houses falling, the yells of the drunken soldiers;
to me it sounded then and does now, on looking back on
that night that no picture by pen or brush could possibly
be drawn of the infernal regions that would strike greater
terror to the beholder than that presented on the campus
of the South Carolina College on the night of the
17th February, 1865.

"The news spread rapidly that the hospital buildings had
caught on fire. The few that were left on duty were in a
measure powerless. We, however, went to work, and it
seemed as if superhuman strength was given us. It was
discovered that it was not the hospital buildings proper that
were on fire, but the roof of Dr. LaBorde's house, the
hospital buildings being on both sides of it. While engaged
in tearing down some fencing to prevent the spread of the
flames the Federal provost marshal guard came on the
scene at the double quick, having been apprised of the situa-
tion, and knowing that there were then in the hospital some
of their own men they soon succeeded in getting on the roof
of Dr. LaBorde's house and extinguished the flames. The
sense of relief and gratitude we all felt for the prompt action
of those men was shared by all who witnessed the daring
feat they performed.

"All immediate danger having passed, the sick and
wounded were conveyed back to the different wards. The
fierceness of the flames was subsiding for lack of material
to subsist upon. As day began to dawn those of us who had


been actively engaged during the night went to bed hoping
to get some sleep, but that gentle restorer would not come
to us. We were completely unnerved by the ordeal we had
passed through, and could only find rest and composure in
ministering to the wants of those whose end had been
hastened by the thrilling scenes of the never-to-be forgotten


"Dr. Thomson had a serious problem to solve. He had
under his immediate charge between 180 and 190 patients,
besides attendants, to provide for. He was assisted in caring
for the sick by surgeons Babcock of Chester, and Edmunds
of Fairfield; but the sole responsibility of providing for the
wants of those in the hospital was laid on him. The supply
was at best very limited, now that the stores belonging to
the Confederacy were consumed by fire, the railroads torn
up and the rails bent and twisted in every conceivable
fashion, and Sherman's forces driving before them every-
thing they could consume, and destroying everything they
could not utilize. It was rumored that orders would be
given to evacuate the city on Monday, the 20th, and if he
was to act it must be at once. General O. O. Howard was
quartered in Mrs. McCord's house near the college building.
After some hesitation and misgiving, he made up his mind
to call on him and make known to him the position he was
placed in. He told him he did not appeal to him asking
help for himself, for he would die in a dungeon before he
would make such a request; he came pleading for help in
behalf of the helpless and dying. General Howard's Adju-
tant General, who was present and heard the appeal,
remarked in tones heard by the Doctor, 'See the Southern
chivalry/ The appeal was not in vain, for an order was
issued to the Federal Commissary to leave so many cattle
for hospital use. Those of us who partook of Federal bounty
never accused the Commissary of picking out for us the
choicest of the flock; he certainly donated to us what in
truth could have been classed as some of Pharaoh's lean
kine, but for even this we were thankful.


"On Monday, the 20th, the troops began to leave the

"The excitement of the past three days had made fearful
work among our noble men. The duty devolved upon me
to make preparation for the burial of the dead that had
been accumulating since the occupation of the city on the
17th. I found, on examination, seventeen corpses. It was
impossible to procure plank to make coffins, and it was with
the greatest difficulty I was able to get a trench dug to bury
them in. There was no white help I could call upon, and
the negroes were defiant and insolent and refused to aid in
digging the graves. I was, under the circumstances, com-
pelled to use arbitrary measures. I selected a few of the
hospital attendants, armed them with muskets and went
into the city and impressed such able bodied help as we
met and marched them to the field in the rear of the presi-
dent's house in the South Carolina campus and had a trench
dug sufficient to lay side by side those seventeen men. As
I stated, I was unable to procure planks or nails; all I was
able to do for them was to wrap their precious forms up in
a sheet, and wherever it was possible for me to learn their
names, I would mark the grave, or rather the position they
occupied in the trench, with such material as I could get,
in order that their friends might remove them if desired.
The day following I was compelled to go through a like
experience and bury eleven more. It was while engaged in
this duty that an unpleasant incident occurred. One of the
negroes employed in digging the trench took a pistol from
his pocket and commenced firing and using very strong and
defiant language. I asked him to desist, as the occasion
was too solemn a one to be engaging in such boisterous con-
duct, even if he meant no harm. I asked him to give me
his pistol. This he refused to do. I was equally determined
that he had to show more respect to the dead then lying in
their shrouds. I called on one of the guard to take the pistol
from him. He showed the same resistance to him, but when
he saw the guard reach for his gun he ran like a horse
through a gateway in the rear of the president's house and


down the middle of the campus and the guard after him. He
refused to halt, and was likely to get the best of the race.
The guard, equally determined to teach him a lesson, took
aim, fired, and brought him down. I hurried to the
spot, and found he was wounded in the arm. He was
removed to a building in the rear of Prof. Beynold's house
in the campus. I informed Dr. Thomson of the occurrence,
who went at once to see him and give his wound prompt and
careful treatment. While we deeply regretted the wounding
of the man, the incident had a very salutary effect.

"On the day following we buried seven. One of this
number was a most worthy female attendant, a widow,
leaving two helpless children. I had in a manner become
accustomed to sad sights, but when I realized that it would
be my painful duty to consign her uncoffined to the grave,

Online LibraryEdwin L. (Edwin Luther) GreenA history of the University of South Carolina → online text (page 32 of 38)