Copyright
Elizabeth M. Leach (Elizabeth May Leach) Rixford.

Three hundred colonial ancestors and war service, their part in making American history from 495 to 1934 online

. (page 27 of 47)
Online LibraryElizabeth M. Leach (Elizabeth May Leach) RixfordThree hundred colonial ancestors and war service, their part in making American history from 495 to 1934 → online text (page 27 of 47)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


a Scholarship for the University of Vermont, also one for Smith College.
She attended the University of Vermont until her marriage. She is a
member of the Vermont Society of Mayflower Descendants, and Secre-
tary of the Society 1933-34. Edmund and Stella have a son, William^
Howard, b. Oct. — , 1933. (2) Elizabeth May, b. Jan. 5, 1912, a High
School student.

2. Ephraim SmithI", b. Aug. 8, 1901. (See Read Ancestry).

Frankie Orisa Leach, born at Bakersfield, Vt., Oct. 11, 1870.
She married in Fairfield, Vt., June 5, 1895, Homer Jessie Cutler,
born Jan. 5, 1870; son of Horace L., Representative to Vermont
Legislature, 1884-5 and Helen (Wilson) Cutler, and grandson of
Jessie and Delia (Huntington) Cutler. Homer J. Cutler graduated
from Brown's Business College of Brooklyn, N. Y. He is the third
generation of Cutlers to live on the old homestead, known as Island
Farm situated on the Missisquoi River, about one mile from East
Highgate, on the road to Highgate Center, Vt.

Frankie Orisa (Leach) Cutler was educated in the schools of Fair-
field and Brigham Academy, Bakersfield, Vt. After finishing school,
she was a successful Teacher in rural and village schools in Franklin
County, Vt. One of the last that she taught was the graded school
at East Fairfield. Frankie Orisa (Leach) Cutler is a member of the
Vermont Society of Mayflower Descendants, State No. 23, General
No. 9595. She is a Charter Member and Vice-President of High-
gate, the Vermont Colony of New England Women.

Children, born at East Highgate, Vt. :

1. Horace Leach, b. April 19, 1898; m. Dec. 22, 1919, Gertrude Sarah Loukes,

b. at Highgate, Vt., Oct. 21, 1897. Children: (1) Earl James Cutler,
b. May 19, 1922. (2) Horace LesUe Cutler, b. July 14, 1923. (3) One
child that died in infancy.

2. Alberta Irene, b. March 2, 1904.
(See Cutler Ancestry).



204 Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service

Adelbert Horace Leach, born May 15, 1877, at Fairfield, Vt.;
married Sept. 8, 1896, Bertha P. Mullins. He died at Chickamauga
Battlefield, Ga., July 25, 1898.

Copied from St. Albans Messenger:

"The fimeral of Private Adelbert H. Leach (first death in Co. B), of Co. B,
was held at the home of his father, in Fairfield, Vt., Sunday afternoon, Rev. J. R.
Chrystie of Sheldon, Vt., officiating. On account of the extremely large number
present, the services were held out of doors, Mayor F. C. Smith and Alderman D. S.
Danforth representing the city of St. Albans.

Thirty-one ex-members of Co. B, in command of Sergeant J. N. Mooney, and
a large delegation from the G. A. R. and Sons of Veterans of Sheldon and adjoining
towns were in attendance.

The Arlus male quartette, of Sheldon, sang three selections and a quartette
in which were Dr. J. Sherar, B. B. Perkins, C. H. Anderson and J. C. Pease, sang,
"They're Gathering Home One by One."

During the services, a letter from the members of the tent squad in which
Private Leach had been, at Chickamauga, was read and also an editorial on his
death which appeared in a recent issue of "The Messenger."

The ex-members of the Co. B, the G. A. R., and the Sons of Veterans, escorted
the remains to Bradley cemetery in South Fairfield, where the burial took place.
There were a large number of floral offerings."

He left one daughter, Vivian Adell Leach, born July 10, 1897, who
was educated and trained for a nurse, and is now practicing her
profession in New York.

References: "Lawrence Leach of Salem, Mass., and some of his Descend-
ants," by F. Phelps Leach, Vol. I, II, III.
"Records," by the author of this book.
"History of Salem, Mass.," Perley, Vol. Ill (1671-1716), p. 328.

Summary of Ancestry:

1. Lawrence Leach, b. 1580, England; d. June 24, 1662; m. in England, be-

fore 1605, EUzabeth , b. , prob. Eng.; d. about 1674, prob.

Salem, Mass.

2. Giles Leach, b. 1632, Salem, Mass.; hving m 1705; m. Jan. 20, 1656, at

Weymouth, Mass., Ann Nokes, who was Hving at Braintree, with Dea.
Bass' family at the time of their marriage.

3. John Leach, b. 1665, W. Bridgewater, Mass.; d. 1743, W. Bridgewater,

Mass.; m. Alice .

4. Sergt. Solomon Leach, b. Feb. 19, 1712, S. Bridgewater, Mass.; d. prob.

at Westmoreland, N. H.; m. (3) 1743, W. Bridgewater, Mass., Hannah
Leach, b. March 4, 1725, W. Bridgewater, Mass.; d. prob. Westmore-
land, N. H.

5. Ephraim Leach, b. Dec, 1761, Westmoreland, N. H.; d. Feb. 28, 1840,

Enosburg, Vt., m. Nov. 17, 1785, prob. Greenfield, Mass., Chloe
Shattuck, b. Nov. 22, 1766, Greenfield, Mass.; d. Jan. 22, 1845, Enos-
bm-g, Vt.

6. Tertius Leach, b. Nov. 21, 1786, Greenfield, Mass.; d. Feb. 4, 1864.

Watervile, Vt.; m. Jan. 1, 1812, Sheldon, Vt., Sophia Hawley, b. Aug.
17, 1795, Sheldon, Vt.; d. Jan. 7, 1879, WaterviUe, Vt.

7. Tertius Hawley Leach, b. March 19, 1813, Enosburg, Vt.; d. Sept. 19,

1881, Clinton, Iowa; m. Feb. 28, 1835, Sheldon, Vt., Orisa Fanton, b.
May 1, 1812, Sheldon, Vt.; d. June 24, 1890, Faurfield, Vt.

8. Horace Brayton Leach, b. Sept. 25, 1836, Sheldon, Vt.; d. May 6, 1919,

East Highgate, Vt.; m. Sept. 8, 1863, Stanbridge, Que., Carolme

Alexandria Phelps, b. July 3, 1840, Bedford, Que.; d. March 29, 1921,

East Highgate, Vt.

Children (first four bom in Bakersfield, Vt.) :

1. Fayette Phelps, b. Nov. 17, 1864; m. Sept. 3, 1887, Josie L. Brown.




Leach Lot at Bradley Burying Ground, Fairfield, Vermont,
where four generations of the family are buried, 1934



Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service 205



2. Elizabeth May, b. Jan. 7, 1866; m. Sept. 8, 1889, Oscar Herbert

Rixford.

3. Alberta Louisa, b. July 27, 1868; m. Oct. 21, 1891, C. J. Read.

4. Frankie Orisa, b. Oct. 11, 1870; m. June 5, 1895, Homer J. Cutler.

5. Adelbert Horace, h. May 15, 1877, Fairfield, Vt.; m. Sept. 8, 1896,
Bertha P. Mullins. He died at Chickamauga Battlefield, Ga., July
25, 1898, the first death in Co. B, Vermont Vols.

Passengers which Passed from Ye Port of London in the Bona Venture to
Virginia, Jan. 2, 1634, — Bapt. at St. James Barbadoes, Virginia, Oct. 15, 1678,
William, son of John Leach; George, son of John Leach, Susannah, dau. of John
Leach. John Leach had 16 acres land and 5 negroes. Richard Leach 22 yrs.
Records of the Old South Church, Portsmouth — ^John Leach, son of Samuel, b.
Aug. 3, 1766, Samuel Leach, son of Samuel bapt. March 10, 1765. John Leach m.
Eliza Gammon (?) Oct. 31, 1755. Conn. Hist. Soc. Col. 10, Vol. 2— Capt. Leach's
men in French and Indian Wars: David Leach, Hezakia.h Leach, Richard Leach,
and Samuel Leach. Leachford's Notefood, p. 227, Hist, of Salem.

Richard, Salem 1639, m. Ann Fuller, freem. 1665, lieut. 1675, and Capt. two
yrs. aft. ; d. 1687, leav. sev. ch. of wh. 1 only kn. that Hannah was bapt. 2 June
1662; and Sarah m. 7 Feb. 1667, Joseph Herrick. Robert, Charlestown 1637,
where Mary unit, with the ch. 9 Sept. 1639, might be thot. his w. but Felt gives
him gr. of Id. at Salem 1637; and the freem. of 1644 was mem. of neither of the
chs. in those towns, yet he is said to be s. of Lawrence, and to have d. bef. his f.
However, we may presume there was one at ea. and he of Charlestown was house-
holder in 1658 and 78, chos. tythingman 1679, and d. 22 May 1688, aged a. 80,
says the rec. Robert and Samuel were inhabs. of Manchester, and in favor of
that small town petit, for relief, in 1686, from expense of support, worship. See
Geneal. Reg. X. 322. Seth, Bridgewater, m. Mary, d. of Thomas Whitman. The
name was freq. A Margaret, aged 15, was passeng. in the Planter, ano. Margaret,
22, in the Susan and Ellen, both from London 1635. Samuel, Bridgewater, s.
of Giles, m. Mary, d. of Nicholas Byram, had Samuel, Josiah, Seth, and Elijah.
Thomas, New London 1680, m. Abigail, d. of Richard Haughton, wh. d. soon aft.
her ch. Sarah was b. 7 July 1684. By two other ws. he had ten ch. more bef. 1719.
Ambrose Leach, Boston 1648, is spok. of in Hutch. Coll. 298, and, in 1663,
was concern, in Narraganset, or the King's province. Benjamin, Bridgewater,
s. of Giles, m. 1702, Hepzibah, d. of Joseph Washburn, had Ann, b. 1703; Joseph,
1705; Mary, 1708; Sarah, 1711; Benjamin, 1713; Ichabod, 1716; Jerathmeel
and Benamuel, tw., 1718; Nokes, 1720; Susanna, 1722; Hannah, 1725; Phebe;
Nathan; and Eunice. David, Bridgewater, br. of the preced. by w. Hannah had
Mercy, b. 1693; Hannah, 1696; Ephraim, 1699; Experience, 1702; David, 1706;
Mehitable, 1711; and Abigail, 1714; and he d. 1757. Ebenezer, Bridgewater,
br. of the preced. m. 1707, Prudence Stetson of Scituate, may have had Lydia
and possib. others. Edmund, New Haven, 1647/9 and may be longer. Giles,
Weymouth, 1656, but rem. to Bridgewater bef. 1665 says Mitchell, wh. ment.
that he m. Ann Nokes, 1656 (but Weymouth rec. says, 20 Jan. 1657), had Sarah,
b. 1656 (but rec. says, 13 Nov. 1657); Eliz.; Samuel, 1662; David; John; Eben-
ezer; Benjamin; and perhaps others, add. that Sarah m. John Aldrich; and
Eliz. m. 1693, John Emerson. John, Salem 1637, then had, says Felt, gr. of Ld.
was br. of Lawrence, d. Dec. 1658. He gave his small prop, to his neph. Richard's
s. John. John, Salem, 1637, s. of Lawrence, had gr. of Ld. says Felt, that yr.
and there bapt. John, 3 Sept. 1648; John, and Sarah, tw., Nov. 1648; Rachel.
6 AprH 1651; Sarah, again, 6 June 1652; EUz. 27 Nov. 1653; Mary, 3 Sept. 1654;
Richard, 15 June 1656; Remember, and Hannah, 3 Nov. 1661; was, prob. the
freem. 1681. Mary m. 2 Mar. 1681, Thomas Field. John, Beverly 1671, may
have been s. of the preced. or of other s. of Lawrence. John, Bridgewater, s. of
Giles, by w. Alice had John, b. 1695; Giles, 1697; Stephen, 1698; Abiel, 1700;
Ebenezer, 1702; Mehitable, 1704; Timothy, 1707; Nehemiah, 1709; Solomon,
1712; and Jesse, 1714; and d. 1744. Lawrence, Salem 1629, came in one of the
fleet with Higginson, req. adm. 19 Oct. 1630, and 18 May foil, was sw. freem., d.
June 1662, aged 82, or 85, leav. all his est. to wid. EUz. who d. 1674. Of his s.
beside John, and Robert, herein ment. Clement hv. in Eng. and Richard d. here
1647, leav. s. John and Robert.

"Genealogical Dictionary," Savage, Vol. Ill (K-R), pp. 66-67.



2©6 Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service



LISLE FAMILY

DucHAL Castle

A few miles to the southwest of the city of Glasgow, in Scotland,
lies the old barony of Lyle, or Duchal. In this barony stood Duchal
Castle, the home for several centuries of the Lords Lyle. When
the castle was built is not known, but in 1170, in a grant to the monks
of Paisley, appears the signature of ' 'Radulphus de Insula, Dominus
de Duchal." A date so early as 1057 has had mention. From a
book, "Much About Kilmalcolm," is taken an extract as follows:

"The great barony of Duchal, which for many ages was the chief property
and place of residence of the ancient family of Lyle, was of great extent situated
in the heart of the Parish on both sides of the Gryffe, but chiefly inland from
it. The first mention of the family of Lyle (who are said to have been originally
a West Highland family, and to derive their name from L'isle) occurs in the
grant, etc."

In the same book appears:

"An eminent local antiquary holds that the castle (Duchal), surrounded
on three sides by the stream, and the fourth by a fosse, which was crossed by a
draw-bridge, is the Insula meant and that they took their name from the Island
on which the fort was built."

In an old work in Edinburgh Library appears:

"The river Gryffe hath its rise in the moor and parish of Kilmalcolm, at the
head of which stands the old castle and fort of Duchall, the ancient inheritance
of the Barons Lyll of Douchalle, made Lords of Parhament by King James III,
failed in the Reign of Queen Mary in the person of James, last Lord Lyle, who was
dead about 1550."

The remains of Duchal Castle were described in 1792 "as very
romantique in situation and strong in construction."
Says the Imperial Gazeteer of Scotland:

"The remains of the strong and romantic Duchal Castle stand upon the
confluence of the Duchal with another rivulet. In 1710 a mansion was built
about a mile east of this. The present (1848) mansion house was built in 1768.
It stands on the right bank of the Gryffe and is well sheltered with wood."

At one time the castle was besieged. At this time the ruins are
httle distinguishable. In the nearby towns of Kilmalcolm and
Kilbarchan are many of the Lyle name at this time. A small
settlement was called Lylesland. Duchal is pronounced Duck-all.

The surname of L'isle, or Lyle, was first assumed by the pro-
prietors of some of the Western Isles in the reign of Malcolm
Canmore. They had also possessions in the County of Renfrew,
where Duchal Castle was their principal seat.

From a letter written by William Robertson, the author of
"Historical Tales and Legends of Ayrshire," the following extract
is taken :

"The Lyles are a very old family. Old enough to have a wraith. That
is, a duplicate of the head of the house who came to warn some relative that
the master, or Lord, was about to die. The ballad, 'Lord Lyle,' is founded on
Ayrshire traditions. As it is very old it may interest you, see pages 337 to 341."
— "Historical Tales and Legends."



Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service 207



Alicia Lisle, of Moyles Court in the County of Southampton, widow,
9 June 1682, with codicil of same date, proved 11 November 1689. To the poor
of the parish of ElHngham two pounds within one year after my decease. The
overplus (after payment of such debts) to my worthy friends, the said William
Tipping and Mrs. Frances Tipping his sister, Richard Lloyd, citizen and linen-
draper of London, and Triphena his wife, to hold forever upon this especial
trust, etc., to discharge my fvmeral expenses and pay debts, etc., and to pay unto
my daughter Anne twelve himdred pounds at the age of one and twenty years

or day of marriage, to pay unto my granddaughter Hore, daughter of

my daughter Bridgett, now in New England, the sum of one hundred pounds at
age of one and twenty or day of marriage, to pay unto my daughter Mary one
annuity or yearly rent of six pounds during her natural life, but if said daughter
Mary marry against their consent said annuity shall cease, to pay to daughter
Mabella Lisle an annuity of forty pounds (under same conditions). The residue
to be distributed among my daughters or daughters' children as they (the trus-
tees) shall think fit.

Witnesses: Anne Tipping, Wilham Withrington, John Swan and Abiah
Browne. Ent. 159.

(I am indebted to Henry Marillier, Esq., for the reference to the above
will.)

Reference: "New England Historical and Genealogical Register," Vol. 39
(1885), page 62.

Hezekiah Usher, Jr., married 1686, Bridget, daughter of Lord
John Lisle, one of Cromwell's Lords. She was the widow of Dr.
Leonard Hoar (Pres. H. C). He died s.p. July 11, 1697; and his
widow died May 25, 1723. Their daughter Bridget m. Thomas
Cotton.

Reference: "New England Historical and Genealogical Register," Vol.
XXIII, (1869), page 410; Vol. XXXIX, page 64.



208



Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service



JORDAN DE INSULA (or lisle)

Arms — Or, on a chief az. three lions rampant of the field.
Crest — A stag statant ar. attired or.

References: "Lisle Family," by Oscar K. Lisle, pages 99 and 100.

"The New England Historical and Genealogical Register,"

Vol. XXXLX, 1885, page 63.
Records of F. Phelps Leach.
Thomas Hungerford and His Descendants.
Families Directly Descended from all the Royal Families in
Europe by Elizabeth M. Rixford.

Jordan de Insula lived in time of King Henry = Hawise .

I, and King Stephen.



Geffrey de Insula gave lands in francalmoine
for the soul of Earl Baldwin, of Devonshire.



Walter de Insula, in time of King John.



= Margaret ■



Baldwin de Insula, Lord of Wodeton and Plompton
in the Isle of Wight, lived in time of Henry III.



John de Insula, a baron to the time of Edward Ii
and Governor of Carisbrooke Castle, ob. 32
Edward I.



Walter de Insula, Lord of Wodeton.



= Margaret ■



Walter de Insula, Lord of Wodeton.



= Florence ■



riilii



William de Insula, Lord of Wodeton.



William de Insula, Lord of Wodeton, 44th Edward
III.



Sir John de Insula or Lisle, Knt.



George Lisle.



Lancelot Lisle.



Thomas Lisle.



Anthony Lisle, of Wodeton, Esq.



Sir WiUiam Lisle.



John Lisle, of Moyles Court, County Southamp-
ton; he was one of the judges who condemned
King Charles the First, for which he was obliged
to fly the kingdom, and ob. abroad. Second son.



Bridget Lisle, d. May 2, 1723.



Johni Hoar, b. Gloucester, England; d. Apr. 2,
1704.



Mary Hoar.



: Margaret, dau. of John Bremshot, of
Bremshot, in County Southampton.



Anna, dau. of
Calais.



Montgomery, of



Anne, dau. of Sir Thos. Wroughton, Knt.



Court, Esq.



dau. of



Moore, of Moore



: Elizabeth, dau. of John Dormer, of Steeple
Barton in County Oxon, Esq.

: Bridget, dau. of Sir John Hungerford, of
Down Ampney, in County Gloucester,
Knt.

: Alice, dau. and co-heir of Sir White Becon-
sawe, Knt., beheaded at Winchester,
1685, by the order of Judge Jeffries.



Lenord Hoar, b. England, 1629-30; d.
Nov. 28, 1675.

= Alice Lisle, b. England; d. June 5, 1696.



Benjamin Graves, m. Oct. 21, 1668; b.
Concord, Mass.



Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Ser-vice



209



Benjamin Graves, b. Mar. 2, 1676-7; d. Dec. 30,

1752,

Mary Graves, dau. of Benjamin and Mary
(Haynes) Graves, b. Jan. 20, 1728; m. June 23,
1746, probably New Fairfield, Conn.



Isaiah Hungerford, b. Dec. 26, 1756, bapt. Jan. =
23, 1757; d. June 16, 1833; m. about 1777, at |
Ne w Fairfield, Conn. |

Elizabeth Hungerford, b. Feb. 7, 1798; d. Jan. =
7, 1878; m. Apr. 29, 1821, at St. Armand, West, |
Que^ 1

Caroline Alexandria Phelps, b. July 3, 1840; =
d. Mar. 29, 1921; m. Sept. 8, 1863, Stanbridge, 1
Que^ I

Elizabeth May Leach, b. Jan. 7, 1866; living; =
m. Sept. 8, 1889, Sheldon, Vt. (

Oscar Adelbert Rixford, b. Aug. 4, 1890; living; =
m. Jan. 18, 1919, Montreal, Que.

Mary-Elizabeth Lenora Rixford, b. Oct. 6, 1922;
living.



= Mary Sterling; (2nd wife) Mary Haynea.



Samuel Hungerford, b. abt. 1713; d.
1790.



Esther Mead, b. Aug. 11, 1760; d. Dec.
22, 1836.



Nash David Phelps, b. Oct. 4, 1796; d.
Apr. 15, 1884.



Horace Bray ton Leach, b. Sept. 25, 1836;
d. May 6, 1919.



: Oscar Herbert Rixford, b. Dec. 27, 1859;
d. Sept. 11, 1927.

: Mary Carolyn Heflaon, b. June 6, 1899;
livin g.

Oscar Theodore Rixford, b. July 31, 1925;
living.



MEAD ANCESTRY

Maurs of Elmdonbury Hall,
Dagworths and Monnteneys Orist-
hall Grange, Maur of Great Eastern
Nortofts, etc. On the North wall
of Marlborough Church, County
Leicester is a monument of black
marble with the Mead Coat of
Arms with the names of the Mead
family buried there.

Coat of Arms is thus described :
Sa, a Chev. betw. three pelicans or
Vulu gu. Explanation. Sa the
color is sable, iee black. Chev. a
chevron rep, as two rafters of a
house joined together and descend-
ing in two pair of compasses to the
extremities of the Shield. Or sig-
nifies gold and in engraving is rep-
resented by a small dot. Three
Pehcans Vulure, wounding them-
selves according to the tradition
that the pelican pecked its own
breast to nourish its young. Crest :
an Eagle displayed. Motto: Sem-
per Paratus, Always Ready.

The very earliest traces of the Mead family are to be found in a
history of the Norman people and their existing descendants in
the British Dominion's of the U. S. of America, published by King
& Co., London, England, 1874. From that Volume it appears that
the name Mead is the Enghsh form of Norman "de Prato" and that
it is amongst the oldest of the old, and noblest of the noble. In
1180-1195, there is to be found in the Ancient Norman Records, the
names of WiUiam, Robert, Matilda, Roger and Reginald de Prato,




210 Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service

and the names of Stephen and Peter de Prato of England, and Walter
de Prato in Hertford, England. Henry de Prato in 1200, in Nor-
mandy, was King John's faithful Knight, and the custody of the
Roman cattle was given his brother. The Norman "de Prato"
was translated into the English Mead, Meade, Mede, Meads. The
first of the Mead family came from Somersetshire into County
Essex, in the Reign of King Henry VI, and settled at Elmdon.
His son, Thomas Mead, Sergeant in Law, in 1567, and constituted
one of the new Judges of the Kings Bench, Feb. 3, 1578. The Meads
owned Wendon Lofts-Manors.

William Mead, was born in England about 1600; married about
1625, probably sailed from Lydd County Kent, England, in the
Ship "Elizabeth," Captain Stagg, April, 1635, for the Massachu-
setts Bay Colony; first settled in Wethersfield, Conn.; removed
to Stamford, Conn., in 1641, where he died about 1663. His wife
died at Stamford, Sept. 18, 1657. There is record of three children,
but there probably weie four including a son, who died 1658.

William Penn in 1668 was committed to the Tower for preaching
against the Established Church. While in confinement he composed
a tract entitled, "No Cross, no Crown; a discourse showing the
nature and discipline of the Holy Cross of Christ," which is the
most esteemed of his writings. He was no sooner released than he
recommenced preaching, and, being in consequence arrested, together
with his companion, William Mead, was indicted at the Old Bailey
Sessions for illegally holding forth; and although acquitted by the
verdict of the jury, they were arbitrarily imprisoned in Newgate by
order of the court. On obtaining his liberty, Penn visited Holland
and Germany as a missionary, but he hastily returned to England,
owing to the illness of his father, whom he found on his death-bed,
and with whom he effected a reconciliation previous to the old
gentleman's decease, which happened shortly after. Wm. Mead may
have been a kinsman.

In 1681, King Charles II, in consideration of the services of Mr.
Penn's father and several debts due to him from the crown at the
period of his demise, granted to William Penn and his heirs the
province lying on the west side of the river Delaware, in North
America, which thence obtained the name of Pennyslvania. Mr.
Penn immediately published a brief account of the province, pro-
posing an easy purchase of land, and good terms of settlement for
such as were inclined to remove thither. A great number of pur-
chasers came forward and formed a company, called, "The Free
Society of Traders in Pennsylvania." Shortly after, the enlightened
and beneficent proprietor sailed to colonize his newly acquired terri-
tories, with a band of persecuted Quakers, who followed his fortune ;
and having entered into a treaty with the Indian natives, founded
the city of Philadelphia.

"Burke's Commoners," Vol. Ill, p. 493.

Children :
1. Joseph, b. 1630; m. Dec. 4, 1654, Mary Brown, of Stamford, d. May 3, 1690.



Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service 211



2. Maktha, b. 1632, who m. John Richardson of Stamford.

3. John, b. abt. 1634; m. Hannah Potter, of Stamford, probably in 1657;

d. Feb. 5, 1699.

The two sons, Joseph and John, after having lived in Stamford, Conn, and
Hempstead, Long Island, finally located permanently at Horseneck (Greenwich),
Conn.

Joseph^ Mead, son of William, born 1630; married Dec. 4, 1654;
died May 3, 1690. He married Mary Brown of Stamford.

Children:

1. Zachariah, d. 1703. 3. DAmEL. 5. Richard.

2. Joseph. 4. Elisha. 6. Mary.

Joseph^, son of Joseph^ Mead, born about 1657; died in 1714;
married Sarah Reynolds.

Children :

1. Sarah, b. Nov. 3, 1695; m, Aug. 14, 1718; d. May 1, 1774. She m. Benj.

Stebbing, of Ridgefield, b. 1691, d. Sept. 6, 1780.

2. Joseph^, b. May 3, 1698.

3. Theophilus, of Norwalk, b. July 3, 1700, d. 1760; m. Abigail Westcott.

4. Jeremiah, of Norwalk, b. Aug. 6, 1702.

Jeremiah Mead, of Norwalk, born Aug. 6, 1702; married 1725;
died 1742. Married Hannah St. John, died July, 1746.

Children :

1. Thaddeus (Captain), b. 1726; m. July 7, 1754; killed in the French and

Indian War in 1780; m. Sarah Hobby, b. 1728.

2. Stephen Mead, of Redding, b. 1728; m. Oct. 31, 1751; d. Oct. 18, 1806;

m. Rachel, dau. of Ephraim Sanford, b. July 23, 1733. Jeremiah Mead,
Jr., was a Private in the Revolution. Joseph and Stephen Mead, Pri-
vates in Capt. David Haites Co., see "Ye Historie of ye Town of Green-
wich, Conn., pp. 126, 131, 472.

Stephen and Rachel (Sanford) Mead had children as follows:

1. Jeremiah, of Redding, b. April 2, 1753; m. July 27, 1769, Ruth, dau. of

John Reed, b. Sept, 25, 1754, she d. Dec. 3, 1798.

2. Ezra, b. Dec. 31, 1754.

3. Hannah, b. May 3, 1756.



Online LibraryElizabeth M. Leach (Elizabeth May Leach) RixfordThree hundred colonial ancestors and war service, their part in making American history from 495 to 1934 → online text (page 27 of 47)