Elizabeth M. Leach (Elizabeth May Leach) Rixford.

Three hundred colonial ancestors and war service, their part in making American history from 495 to 1934 online

. (page 29 of 47)
Online LibraryElizabeth M. Leach (Elizabeth May Leach) RixfordThree hundred colonial ancestors and war service, their part in making American history from 495 to 1934 → online text (page 29 of 47)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

of Benenden. By her, who outlived him, he had two sons: William
and John.

7. William de More, the elder, m. Catherine, dau. and heir to Anthony

Aucher, Esq., and had issue: Thomas, his heir, and John.

8. Thomas, m. Agnes, dau. and heir of Robert Austen, and was father of

9. William Moore, of Moore-Place, Esq., who m. Margaret, dau. and co-heir

to John Brenchley, Esq., Lord of the manor of Benenden, by his wife,
Margaret, dau. and heir to Richard Golding, 21 Henry VI. He Ues
bur. in the church of Benenden, in Kent, with his father-in-law; as
appears by an inscription in the chancel window on the north side.

10. Walter Moore, of Benenden, Esq., was his son. This Walter's will is

recorded in the office of wills at Canterbury, and shows that he d. in
1504, 19 Henry VII, leaving by Alice, his wife, two sons: Thomas, of
Benenden, his heir and William.

11. Thomas Moope, of Benenden, Esq., eldest son of Walter, made his will in

1519, 11 Henry VIII, which is recorded in the prerogative court of
Canterbury, and proves that he had three sons: John, Edward and
thirdly, Thomas, whose posterity settled in Norfolk.

12. Thomas Moore, b. in England; d. in Windsor, Conn., 1645.

13. Hannah Moore, d. Feb. 16, 1686; m. Nov. 30, 1648, John^ Drake, who was

b. in England and came to Boston in 1630.

14. Ruth Drake, bapt. Dec. 6, 1757; m. Jan. 25, 1677, Samuel Barber^ who

was bapt. Oct. 1, 1648.

15. Ruth Barber, b. July 24, 1683; m. Apr. 18, 1706, William Phelps, who was

b. Feb. 4, 1668/9.

16. Ruth Barber Phelps, b. Jan. 23, 1713 at Harwington, Conn.; m. 1731,

Lieut. SamueP Phelps, b. Apr. 5, 1708; d. Aug. 14/17, 1754.

17. Joel Phelps, b. 1732, at Windsor, Conn.; m. Sept. 7, 1757, Jerusha Nash,

b. Oct. 5, 1734; d. 1796.

18. Phineas Phelps, b. Apr. 10, 1767; d. Apr. 20, 1813; m. Lydia Lawrence.

b. Jan. 15, 1762; d. Sept. 20, 1813.

19. Elizabeth Hungerford, b. Feb. 7, 1798; d. Jan. 7, 1878; m. April 29,

1821, David Nash Phelps, b. Oct. 4, 1796; d. April 15, 1884.

From here same as Summary of Arms Ancestry, 8th to 10th Generations;
Colonial Daughters of the 17th Century, p. 136, No. 772; and Daughters of the
American Colonists, 1931, pp. 26-36, No. 2089; ancestry traced by the author of
this book.

References: "History of Windsor," by Styles, page 196.

"Collectanea Topographica and Genealogy," Vol. Ill, page 281.

For complete Royal Ancestry, see Vol. I, "Families Directly Descended from
aD the Royal Families in Europe," by the author of this book.


Crest: Six Arms: Nash, 2: Nashe: Escutcheon, meeting under head.

The name Nash is of Saxon origin. On the 26th of July, 1637,
from the ship Hector and another not named, a company landed at
Boston, Mass. They were accompanied by the Rev. John Daven-
port as their Pastor, who probably came from Lancaster or Lan-
cashire, England or from Ireland. He was at Boston, 1637, Guilford,
1639, New Haven. In this Company was Thomas Nash, son of
Bindley Nash (Gen. Conn., V. 3), his wife, Margery Baker and their
five children. On the 4th of June, 1639, sixty-three of the Company

Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service 221

met and drew up a fundamental Government, Thomas Nash being
the 3rd subscriber. He was a gunsmith.

The name Nash occurs early in the annals of New England.
James Nash was in Weymouth, Mass., as early as 1628; married
Elizabeth, daughter of Rev. Seaborn Cotton, Minister of Salisbury.
Gregory Nash and his wife of Charlestown, Mass., both died in
1630. Samuel Nash of Duxboro, in the Plymouth Colony, was taxed
in 1632. WiHiam Nashe was made freeman in Boston in September,
1634. Edward Nash was in Stratford, Conn., in 1650, and in Nor-
walk, Conn., in 1652. Isaake Nash taxed in Dover, N. H., in 1657.
John Nash, eldest son of Thomas Nash, was called Captain and
Major John Nash. "In the military line he was gradually promoted
to the highest office and continued to serve through life, though
sometimes elected against his own inclination strongly expressed."
He was chosen Lieutenant July 1, 1644, Sergeant of Artillery March,
1645, and again in 1648; Lieutenant, June 7, 1652, for the ordering
of the military affairs of the town of New Haven.

(History of Fairfield, Ct., Vol. I, Schenck, "The Nash Family,"
p. 396), Thomas Nash the great grandfather of Capt. Thomas Nash
of F., is supposed to have been the Thomas Nash, who, among the
emigrants of Rev. John Davenport's company, landed at Boston,
from the ship Hector on the 26 July 1637. It is possible that he was
among the later emigrants of the Plymouth company, for, in a letter
signed by five of the Rev. John Robinson's congregation, who re-
mained behind at Leyden, Holland and addressed to their dear
brethren in the Lord at Plymouth, New England, dated 30. Nov.
1628, is to be found the name Thomas Nash. (P. 251, History of
New London, 1860, Capt. John Nash presiding Judge.) He may
have paid a visit to Holland, and returned with Davenport's
company or, he may have been among those who joined the New
Haven company from the Plymouth Colony, during their sojourn
in Massachusetts. He was accompanied to New England by his
wife Margery, daughter of Nicholas Baker of Herfordshire, Eng.
(eldest son of John Baker), and Mary Hodgetts ("who married
Thomas Nash and went to New England") and five children, viz:
Mary, John, Sarah, Joseph and Timothy, born 1626.

Thomas Nash was one of the members of the Rev. John Robinson's Congre-
gation, at Leyden, Holland, part of whom were the first settlers at Plymouth,
1620, others came to New England soon afterward. On Nov. 30, 1625, five of
those at Leyden addressed a letter to their brethren at Plymouth and signed it as
brethren in the Lord. The names of the five were Francis Jessop, Thomas Nash,
Thomas Blossom, Roger White, Richard Maisterton. Blossom came to Plymouth
afterward. Thomas Nash returned to England and came over with the Davenport

March, 1638, the whole company sailed from Boston and in about a fortnight
landed at Quinnipiac. In November, they purchased the land from Momauguin
and his counsellors.

June 4, 1639, they met in Mr. Newman's bam and after solemn religious
exercises drew up the fundamental agreement. Thomas Nash was the sixty-sixth

Thomas Nashe signed the Guilford compact, but did not go to Guilford

222 Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service

finally, although great inducements were offered him, as they needed a gunsmith,
the vocation he had chosen.

Thomas Nash was considerably advanced in years for an emigrant, as his
son John was old enough to receive the charge of freeman in April, 1642, and Thom-
as Nash, in his will made in 1657, expressly mentioned his old age. The following
extract from the Record of a Gteneral Court held the 25 May, 1646, seems to imply

"In regard of several occasions and works to be done against trayning day.
Brother Nash is spared."

"On 1st of 7th moneth (Sept.) 1640, Mr. Lamberton and Thomas Nash were
admitted members of the Gen. Court and received the fireemans charge." The
following extract from the Records of a General Court held May 19, 1651, indicates
his vocation:

"It is ordered that Thomas Nash shall keepe the Towne Muskitts inhis hands,
and look to them well, that they be always in good order, fitt for service and that
the Towne allow him what is just for his care and pains."

Thomas Nash's home-lot was on the west side of State Street, about a third
of the distance from Chapel to Elm Street, as shown on an old map of New Haven

Mr. Thomas Nash died May 12, 1658. Mrs. Margery Nash's death is not
recorded, but must have been between Feb. 11, 1655, and Aug. 1, 1657.

Children of Thomas and Margery (Baker) Nash:

1. Maky, m. Roger AUen or Ailing.

2. John, called Captain and Major John Nash.

3. Saeah, m. Robert Talmage.

4. Joseph, called Sergeant Joseph Nash of Hartford,

5. Timothy, b. in Leyden, Holland, 1626, called Lieut. Timothy Nash of

Hadley, Mass.

February 11, 1660, a vote is recorded in Hartford, Conn., whereby
Kberty was given Timothy Nash to ''come in as an inhabitant with
us." Timothy Nash removed to Hadley, Mass., June 22, 1663, and
had a hundred pound allotment. His home lot was on the west
side of the main street in the village of Hadle^^ "He was a most
useful and respectable citizen, was frequently employed in town
affairs," held the office of Lieutenant in the mihtia, 1676 to 1679,
Hadley, by which title he is still designated. And it should be
remembered that a military title in those days was generally a
sign of real merit. He represented the town of Hadley at the
General Court of Massachusetts in 1690, 1691, 1695,

On the 4 March, 1654, the Free Mans Oath was administered to
Timothy Nash and 28 others. He married Rebekah Stone. His
marriage and birth of his two children were recorded in New Haven.
The marriage is without date but must have been 1657. They lived
with and cared for his father as appears by his fathers will. His
wife Rebekah was the daughter of Rev, Samuel Stone of Hartford,

The history, legend and romance, written by Rev, Guy Roberts,
sixth edition,' 1925, Whitefield, N. H., claims that Crawford Notch
was known by the Indians, though seldom used by them, because
their superstitious fear of the mountains, and they have left no
legends concerning it. Its discovery by white men, is credited by
one Timothy Nash, who in 1771, while in pursuit of an eluding
Moose, chmbed a tree on Cherry Mountain, in hopes of espying
him, but saw instead the depression in the Mountain Wall, which

Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service 223

he later explored, following the Saco down through and notifying
Governor Wentworth of his discovery. Realizing the value of such
a route to the upper Connecticut Valley, and wishing to test it as a
possible trade route, he offered Timothy the Grant of a tract of land
(later known as the Nash and Sawyer location), extending from the
Upper Gateway to beyond the present Fabyan House, if he would
bring a horse through from Lancaster. Nash aided by one, Ben-
jamin Sawyer, brought the horse through, though not without great
difficulty, and received the promised reward.

"Lieut. Nash died in a good and respected old age, 13 March,
1699, N. S., in his 73d year." He had a very large estate in lands
at his death as appears from his will and the subsequent agreement
of his heirs. Mrs. Rebekah Nash died in March or April, 1709. She
also left a will. They had twelve children, John, born Hadley,
August 21, 1667; settled in Hadley. Will of Lieut. Timothy Nash,
see pages 7, 8, 9 and 10.

Children of Lieut. Timothy and Rebecca (Stone) Nash:

1. Rebecca, b. March 12, 1657-8; d. young at New Haven.

2. Samuel, b. Feb. 3, 1659-60; d. at Hadley, 1668.

3. Thomas, b. Hartford, 1661 ; settled at Hatfield.

4. Joseph, b. Hadley, Jan. 27, 1663-64; d. unm., March 28, 1740.

5. Timothy, b. Hadley, 1665; d. childless.

6. John, b. Hadley, Aug. 21, 1667; settled in Hadley.

7. Samuel, 2d, b, June 17, 1669; d. unm., May 3, 1738.

8. Hope, b. Nov. 26, 1670; m. Isaac Warner.

9. Ebenezer, b. Oct. 25, 1673; settled in Suffield, Conn.

10. Daniel, b. 1676; settled in Great Barrington, Mass.

11. Ephraim, b. 1682; settled in Granby, Mass.

12. Mary, d. Dec. 19, 1687.

Lieutenant John Nash, son of Lieut. Timothy of Hadley,
Mass., born August 21, 1661; lived in his native town of Hadley;
like his father he was an extensive land owner, and also had a black-
smith shop. He married (1) March 29, 1689, Hannah Porter, who
died May 26, 1689, less than three months after marriage. He
married (2) Nov. 27, 1691, Elizabeth Kellogg, born October 9,
1673, daughter of Joseph Kellogg of Farmington, Conn., and Hadley,
Mass. Her mother was Abigail Terry, daughter of Stephen Terry
of Windsor, Conn.

"John Nash was much employed in town business, was Representative to
General Court of Mass., for the town of Hadley, m 1707, 1716, 1719, 1720, 1724,
1728 and 1731. He died Oct. 7, 1743. His Will was made April, 1740, and pre-
sented in December, 1743. The estate divided to his seven sons and one daughter,
£96 each, and something residuary, and left his widow well provided for."

Elizabeth Nash, widow of Lieut. John, lived with her daughter, Abigail, who
married Deacon Abraham Merrill of West Hartford, and in the old burying ground
there stands a monument of red freestone "In memory of Elizabeth Nash, wife
of Lieut. John Nash of Hadley, who died July Ye 4, 1750, in the 77 year of her

John Nash was Ensign 1724, 1728, Lieut., 1733, and Deacon in 1742. See
"History of New Haven, Conn.," by CauUdns, pp. 251, Capt. John Nash presiding
Judge, 1680. King Philip's War, Lancaster Division, Feb. 29, 1675/6; John Nash,
credit, 01-18-06. Appendix — Major John Nash, one of the members of sixty of
Troop of Cavalry, 1672. Richard Treat, 1658, one of the 37 Horse Cavaby,

224 Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service

Quartermaster, Thomas Wells, Hartford, Capt. John Nash, succeeded Major

Children of Lieut. John and Elizabeth (Kellogg) Nash:

1. Rebecca, b. Feb. 27, 1693; d. Nov. 1, 1703.

2. John, b. July 2, 1694; settled in Amherst, Mass.

3. Moses, b. July 2, 1696; settled in West Hartford.

4. Elizabeth, b. Dec. 15, 1698; d. Dec. 31, 1698.

5. Timothy, b. Nov. 13, 1699; settled in Ellington, Conn.

6. Abigail, b. Apr. 10, 1702; m. Deacon Abraham Merrill.

7. Stephen, b. Sept. 20, 1704; settled in Stockbridge, Mass.

8. Daniel, b. Dec. 8, 1706; settled in South Hadley, Mass.

9. Samuel, b. Jan. 29, 1709; settled in Goshen.

10. Phineas, b. Jan. 18, 1713; d. March 24, 1713.

11. Ends, b. April 21, 1714; settled in Hadley, Mass.

Samuel Nash, Esq., sixth son of Lieut. John Nash of Hadley,
Mass., born 29 Jan. 1709; married (1) 24 Jan. 1734, his cousin,
Margaret Merrill, daughter of Dea. Merrill of West Hartford, born
6 June 1709 in Goshen. He attended the legislature, 25 sessions,
from Oct., 1757 to May, 1775. He served as Town Clerk 41 years,
without intermission, was the first appointed Town Clerk. His
name first appears in the Tax List in Shelburne, 1780. Samuel
Nash of Duxbury was one of the original proprietors of Bridge-
water, and one of the Commissioners appointed by Court to purchase
the new Plantation of the Indians. He was Sheriff or Chief Marshal
of the Colony, a Lieutenant under Capt. Standish, and also Repre-
sentative from Duxbury to the old Colony Court at Weymouth.

Samuel Nash was the son of Elizabeth*, daughter of Lieut. Joseph
Kellogg, and Lieut. John Nash. Samuel Nash (another Samuel),
was one of the original proprietors of Bridgewater and appointed
a committee with Capt. Miles Standish and Constant Southwarth
to purchase the tract of land of the Indians usually called Satucket
a tract of land 7 miles square.


To Whom It May Concern:

This is to certify that the following are the data connected with the War of
the American Revolution, found under the name of Samuel Nash, exclusive of
that for a man by this name known to have been from Norwalk, in the manuscript
material thus far indexed in the Connecticut State Library:

Connecticut Archives, Revolutionary War, Series I. A list of blankets pur-
chased for the army by the selectmen of Goshen were said to have been "Now
Ready at the Dwelling house of SamU Nash Esq' in s^ Goshen." xl :24a. Samuel
Nash signed as Justice documents dated at Goshen February 20, 1778; December
18, 1781; Jan. 15, 1777. xl :580b, XXIII :305, VII:278. "A Roll of the Repre-
sentatives who attended the General Assembly May Session 1775" gives Capt.
Sami Nash of Goshen. Same for July 1, 1775 gives Capt. Saml Nash of Goshen.
List of May 2, 1778 also gives Capt. Saml Nash. 1 :144b, 208b, X:201e. Samuel
Nash certified, as Town Clerk, as document dated at Goshen December 30, 1779.
XXX :74. Samuel Nash signed a petition, with other inhabitants of Goshen
showing that many of their soldiers in the army had the smallpox and that as
many of them were returning home thelinhabitants would be exposed to the disease.
They asked that they might have the privilege of being innoculated against it
without the usual tax for such innoculation. IV :329c.

Revolutionary War, Supplementary Material.

Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service 225

Samuel Nash signed as Justice of the Peace soldiers sick bills dated : Litchfield
County, Jany 22d 1776, Goshen Jany 11, 1776, Goshen Jany 11, 1776, Litchfield
County, Feby 29, 1776, Litchfield County, May 18, 1776, Litchfield County,
May 14, 1776. Sick bills, pp. 49, 57, 58, 79, 80. Samuel Nash is mentioned as
justice of the peace in the minutes of a town meeting held in Goshen, Nov., 1780.
He is also mentioned as Town Treasurer at a meeting held Sept. 25, 1777. Ex-
tracts from Rev. War records of Goshen, pages 6, 11, 14. Geo. S. Godard, State

King Philip's War, Samuel Nash of Duxbury, in Militia of Plymouth.
Officers appointed (Lieut.) between ages of 16 and 60. Capt. Miles Standish
and Lieut. Samuel Nash.

Children of Samuel and Margaret (Merrill) Nash:

1. HuLDAH, b. Jan. 2, 1735; m. Elisha Blin.

2. Jertjsha, b. Oct. 5, 1736; m. Joel Phelps.

3. Samuel, b. July 25, 1738; d. Sept. 25, 1760, at Oswegatchie, N. Y.

4. JosiAH, b. March 6, 1741; d. June 9, 1745.

5. William, b. Feb., 1743; settled in New Haven, Vt.

6. Abraham, b. Dec, 1744; d. June 24, 1748.

7. JosiAH, 2d, b. July 2, 1746; settled at Germantown, N. Y.

8. Infant, b. Oct., 1748; d. 1748.

9. Abraham, 2d, b. June 3, 1751 ; d. about 6 days old.

10. Abraham, 3d, b. June 25, 1753; d. Jan. 13, 1754.

11. Martin, b. Jan. 2, 1756; d. Nov. 3, 1776.

(P. 88-89, 180-11), Jerusia Nash, daughter of Samuel Nash of
Connecticut, born in Farmington, Conn., 5 Oct. 1736; married
8 Sept. 1757 to Joel Phelps. About 1765, they moved to Norfolk,
Conn., where they lived until after the Revolution. And afterward
they moved to Fairfield, Vt. They had 11 children. She died in
South Hero, Grand Island, Nov. 1796.

References: "Fifty Puritan Ancestors," 1902, Nash Family.
"Mass. Hist. Coll.," Vol. I, 4 aeries, 1852.
"Barber Hist. CoU., Ct."
"Hist, and Gen. Reg.," Vol. IV.
"The Nash Family."

Summary of Ancestry:

1. Bindley Nash.

2. Thomas Nash, emigrant, 1637 to America; d. May 12, 1658; m. Eng. or

Holland, Marjory Baker, b. England; d. prob. between Feb. 11, 1655,
and Aug. 1, 1657.

3. Lieut. Timothy Nash, b. 1626; m. 1657, Rebecca Stone, b. prob. at Hart-

ford, Conn.

4. Lieut. John Nash, b. Aug. 21, 1667; d. Oct. 7, 1743; m. Nov. 27, 1691,

EUzabeth KeUogg, b. Oct. 9, 1673; d. July 4, 1750.

5. Samuel Nash, Esq., b. Jan. 29, 1709; m. Jan. 24, 1734, Margaret Merrill,

b. June 6, 1709.

6. Jeeusha Nash, b. Oct. 5, 1734; d. 1796; m. Sept. 8, 1757, Joel Phelps, b.


7. Lydia Lawrence, b. Jan. 15, 1762; d. Sept. 20, 1813; m. New Haven, Vt.,

Phineas Phelps, b. April 10, 1767; d. April 20, 1813.

8. Nash David Phelps, b. Oct. 4, 1796; d. April 15, 1884; m. April 29, 1821,

EUzabeth Hungerford, b. Feb. 7, 1798; d. Jan. 7, 1878.

From here same as Summary of Ancestry of Joanna Arms of Yarmouth,
8th to 10th Generations; Daughters of the American Colonists, 1931, pp. 29 to
36, No. 2089. Daughters of the American Revolution, No. 193195. Ancestry
traced by the author of this book.

226 Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service


Descendants of Walter Palmer

45 Arms, Palmer, Sussex, England; Ralph Palmer possessor of estates in Sussex
Co., Eng., (307) or two bars, gu each charged with Threefoils clipped in chief a
greyhound currant sa. Crest — a demi panther, ramp guard issuing flames from
ears and mouth, ppe holding a branch bert. fractured gu.

The name Palmer, in ancient records De Palmer (from the branch of palm
borne by those soldiers of the Cross who had distinguished themselves in the
Holy "War) was conferred upon an Ancestor of the Family, Hugh de Palmer, by
King Richard I, who as a reward for having slain a Paynim Knight in single
combat, and for capturing one of the Saracen Standards, gave him permission to
blazon upon his shield "three crescents, argent, di\dded by chevron" the heraldic
token of Valor, and, to wear for motto, "Par setfortuna labori." The fourth cres-
cent upon the chevron (was added at a later period, to mark this branch of the
family from the Palmers of Castleton, in Northamptonshire, who are descended
from the same Ancestor.

"Original List of Persons of Quality who came from Great Britain to the
American Plantations," by J. C. Hotton, p. 137: Oct. 4, 1635, Joe Palmer, 12
yrs.; Thomas Moore, 26 yrs.; Thomas Smith, 24 yrs., on board the "Constant"
to Va., Nos. 326-330; (p. 171), Mrs. Palmer, Anthony Palmer, Nicholas Palmer;
(p. 24), Rebecca Palmer; (p. 107), Richard Palmer; (p. 463), Samuel Palmer,
(p. 67), Thomas, etc.; (p. 133), William, etc.

Honorable Walter Palmer, born England, about 1585. 1651,
purchased 12,000 acres bs. Nov. 10, 1661, married 2nd, Rebecca
Short. He came to America, 1632, and was made a member of the
Church at Roxbury, Sussex Co.

1. Walter Palmer, the progenitor of the family of his name,
who first settled in Stonington, Conn., came to New England as
early as 1628, with his brother, Abraham Palmer, a merchant of
London, England, and nine associates. They went from Salem,
Mass., through a pathless wilderness to a place called by the Indians
Mishawam, where they found a man by the name of Thomas
Walford, a smith. Here they remained until the next year, when
they were joined by nearly one hundred people, who came with
Thomas Graves, from Salem and laid the foundation of the town,
which they named Charlestown, in honor of Charles I, June 24, 1629.
It is claimed that Walter Palmer built the first dwelling house in
Charlestown after it was organized as a township, on the two acres
of land that were assigned and set to him by the authority of the
new town. Walter Palmer's inclinations tended to stock raising
and farming, but he soon found his land was inadequate to his
business, notwithstanding which he continued to reside in Charles-
town, until 1643. During his residence there, he purchased addi-
tional real estate, which he improved in his line of business as best he
could. While thus engaged, he became acquainted with William
Chesebrough, who lived at the time in Boston and Braintree, whose
business pursuits were similar to those of Mr. Palmer, and after
repeated interviews and consultations, they both decided to remove
to the Plymouth Colony, and did so remove their families and with
others, joined in the organization of the town of Rehoboth, as an

Three Hundred Colonial Ancestors and War Service 227

independent township, which was continued as such until they
should subject themselves to some other government. Walter
Palmer was a prominent man when he lived in Massachusetts, and
was admitted a freeman there. May 18, 1631, and held several local
ofSces in that colony, and such was the estimation in which he was
held by the first planters of Rehoboth and the confidence that they
reposed in him, that his fellow townsmen elected him as their first
representative to the General Court of Plymouth, and subsequently
re-elected him to that office and also conferred upon him repeatedly
the office of selectman and other local offices. His friend Chese-
brough, not relishing the way and manner in which he was treated
by the General Court of the Plymouth Colony, decided to look
farther westward for a permanent place of abode.

(For further particulars see Stanton family). William Chese-
brough, in pursuance of his arrangement with the General Court,
invited his friend Walter Palmer, then living in Rehoboth, to come
and join him here in the organization of another new township.
While Mr. Palmer was considering this proposition, Thomas Miner,
who had married his daughter Grace, and was then a resident of
New London, was also invited to join the new settlement which he
did, by obtaining a limited grant of land, of the town of New London.
So 1653, marks the time when Walter Palmer came to Stoning-
ton to reside. He and his friend Chesebrough lived near each
other, and both lie buried in the old Wequetequock burial place,
with Thomas Stanton, the interpreter general of New England.

Children by first marriage:

1. Grace, b. in England, said to be same age of her husband, Thomas Miner,

b. in 1608.

2. William, b. in England.

3. John, b. in England in 1615, d. Aug. 24, 1677, unm.

4. Jonah, b. in England; m. Elizabeth GrisseU.

5. Elizabeth, b. England; m. (1) Thomas Sloan before 1663.

Children by second marriage:

6. Hannah, b. in Charlestown, June 15, 1634; m. 1st., Thomas Hewitt, April

Online LibraryElizabeth M. Leach (Elizabeth May Leach) RixfordThree hundred colonial ancestors and war service, their part in making American history from 495 to 1934 → online text (page 29 of 47)