Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 10 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 10 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


maiden name is not given but there is much reason
for believing that it was Hunt and she was prob-
ably of Ipswich. Massachusetts. John Grant, of
Rowley, married Mary Hunt, who made her will in
1697 and called Ann Wood and Susannah Todd,
wife of John Todd of Rowley "sisters"; and in
papers on tile in the Essex county probate court
with the will both Ann and Susannah are mentioned
as being about sixty years old in 1697. In the will
of John Todd he mentions "Brother Hunt"; in an
affidavit in the Salem records Thomas Wood calls
himself about forty years old in 1675 and calls John
Todd brother.

There is reason to believe that Thomas Wood
was the son of William Wood, of Concord. Massa-
chusetts, who came from Matlock, England, in
1638, at the age of fifty-six years with his nephew,
Hon. Thomas Flint, and settled in Concord. He
died May 14, 1671, aged eighty-nine. He is supposed
to have been the author of a book entitled "New



32



WORCESTER COUNTY



England Prospect." His will was made September
IS, 1670, and proved June 20, 1672. He made be-
quests to daughter, Ruth Wheeler, and son-in-law,
Thomas Wheeler; to his grandchild, Abigail Hos-
mer; to sons, Thomas and Michael. Shattuck says
his children were : Michael, Ruth, Abraham, Isaac,
Thomas, Jacob, John and Abigail.

Thomas Wood was buried .it Rowley, September
12, 1687. His widow Ann died December 29, 1714.
All their children were born at Rowley, Massachu-
setts; they were: Mary, born January 15, 1055, her
history unknown (possibly married Hosmer. See
will of William Wood, of Concord) ; John, born
September 2, 1856, married Isabel Hazen, had eleven
children; Thomas, born August 10, 1658, married
Mary Hunt, probably of Ipswich; he was buried
December 1, 1702, had nine children; Ann or Mary
Ann, born August 8, 1660, married, January 15,
1678-9, Benjamin Plumer; Ruth, born May 21,
1662, married Captain Joseph Jewett, January 16,
[680-i; he died October 30, 1694; she married (sec-
ond) John Lunt, October 26, 1696, and died Novem-
ber 29, 1734; Josiah (twin), born September 5, 1664,
married Sarah Elithorp, 1685, married (second)
Mary Felt, 1689, had two children; Elizabeth
(twin), born September 5, 1664; Samuel, born De-
cember 26, 1666, married Margaret Elithorp ; he
died November 25, 1690, had one child ; Solomon,
born May 17, 1669, married Mary Hazeltine; Ebe-
nezer, born December 29, 1071, married Rachel
Nichols, had eight children ; James, born June 22,
1674. died October 18, 1694.

(II) Solomon Wood, son of Thomas Wood (1),
was born May 17, 1669. He married Mary Hazel-
tine. They settled in Bradford, Massachusetts,
where their children were born. They removed
later to the part of Mendon that is now Uxbridge.
He died there January 13, 1752, aged eighty-three
years. She died February 21, 1749. Their children
were: Dorcas; Solomon, born 1702, buried in Dud-
ley, Massachusetts; Obadiah, Daniel, Batsey, prob-
ably two or more others.

(III) Soloman Wood, son of Solomon Wood
(2), was born at Bradford, Massachusetts, 1702. He

married Faithful . He died June, 1780,

aged seventy-eight years, and was buried at Dud-
ley, Massachusetts. Will proved June 5, 1780. She
died October 16, 1794, aged ninety years. Their
children were : Solomon, born October 27, 1727,
in Uxbridge, died November 9, 1729; Martha, born
January 12, 1729; Simeon, born January 7, 1732;
Sarah, born July 6, 1735, married Benjamin Lee,
September 29, 1759; he died March 25, 181 1, aged
seventy-five years; Jemima, born February 6, 1740,
married George Jessamon, August 17, 1765, in Ux-
bridge, Massachusetts ; had children.

(IV) Simeon Wood, son of Solomon Wood (3),
was born in Uxbridge, Massachusetts, January 7,
1732. He married Margery Taft, of Upton, October
30, 1760. He died May II, 1S02. She died January
20, 1813. He inherited his father's farm, which is
described as containing one hundred and seventy-two
acres of land on the old road to Smithfield. The
house was on the east side of the road just south
of that of the late Levi Thompson. The original
house has been gone many years. Simeon moved
to Dudley about 1776 and bought the greater part
of what is now the business section of the town of
Webster, Massachusetts, he left this property to
his children. His son Jesse was administrator of
the estate.

The children of Simeon and Margery (Taft)
Wood were: Stephen, born October 14, 1761 ;
Rhoda, born May 25, 1763; Jerusha, born June 28,
1705; Caleb, born June 2, 1767, died December 24,



1769; Willis, born July 14, 1769, killed by falling
from a tree 1779; Nathan, born July 24, 1771 ; Lois
(twin), born April 11, 1773, died young; Eunice
(twin), born April 11, 1773, died June 28, 1791;
Jesse, born August 29, 1775; Mary, born January
3. 1778, in Dudley; Sybil, born January 12, 1781,
in Dudley ; Simeon, born January 14, 1783. in
Dudley.

(V) Simeon Wood, son of Simeon Wood (4),
was born in Dudley, Massachusetts, January 14,
1783. He married Chloe Shumway, of Oxford, De-
cember 14, 1803. She died December 12, 1806. He
married (second) Huldah Rockwood, January 31,
1809. He was drowned in 1S19 in North Webster,
then Dudley, according to the records, at the bend
of the river, while drawing a seine for fish.

The children of Simeon and Chloe (Shumway)
Wood were : Sophia, born April 30, 1804, married

Taft, of Uxbridge; (Joshua Corbin was

her guardian in 1819) ; she died about 1868; Caleb,
born about 1806 (Nathan Hall was appointed
guardian December 5, 1820, for Caleb Wood, then
fourteen years of age. Joshua Corbin had been his
guardian, appointed November 2, 1819). The chil-
dren of Simeon and Huldah (Rockwood) Wood
were: Otis, born December 14, 1809; Lyman, born
October 12. 1S11; Abial Williams, born January 13,
1814; Simeon, born October 14, 1817.

(VI) Abial Williams Wood, son of Simeon
Wood (5), was born January 13, 1814, in Dudley,
Massachusetts. His father died when he was a
young boy and he spent his youth in Thompson,
Connecticut, and Dudley, Massachusetts. He went
to Worcester when a mere youth and worked his
way through Worcester Academy without the assist-
ance of his family and graduated in due time. He
went to work soon after he left school as station
agent of the Norwich & Worcester Railroad at Ma-
sonville, Connecticut, in the town of Thompson. He
resigned his position there to engage in the retail
boot and shoe business in Worcester. It was a
period of financial stringency and while he had to
pay cash he had to give credit, and after a few
years he gave up the business in disgust, declaring
that he would never again enter business without
funds enough to avoid embarrassments of the kind
he met. His partner was Oliver White. He went
to Millbury in 1844 t0 work in the boot and shoe
manufactory of John Wood & Sons. It was while
he was there that he overworked and brought on a
long and severe illness that incapacitated him for
hard labor the remainder of his life.

He joined the Pleasant Street Baptist Church
when in Worcester. He became a member of the
Millbury Baptist Church, May 2. 1844. and he became
at once one of the most active and faithful members
of the little church. He had during over forty
years in which he was a member of the church
tilled all the principal offices in the church and Sun-
day school. He was clerk of the church for twenty-
three years.

One who knew him well writes of him : "During
his long connection with the church he was a regular
and constant attendant at public worship, rarely
missing a service and frequently putting himself
to much inconvenience to attend. His voice was
always heard at the social and religious meetings,
and none have given more largely of their means for
the support of the church. Few men have done
more, either with their money, their words or with
their every day Christian example to support and
elevate the cause of religion in the community. His
loss in this direction, as well as citizen, will be-
severely felt. To those who have known him
through all these years his life has been a most



WORCESTER COUNTY



33



exemplary one. He was honorable, upright and
honest in all his dealings with his fellowmen, a
good neighbor and ever ready to extend a helping
hand to the worthy poor or needy; a kind and de-
voted husband and father, few men have made
greater efforts to give their children a liberal edu-
cation. Those who have been closely connected
with him in temperance, religious or any other
work where the right was arrayed against the
wrong speak in glowing terms of the ardor with
which he entered into and carried on the contest."
Mr. Wood for twenty years was employed by the
New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad and its
predecessor in Millbury. He also followed his
trade as shoemaker in addition to his work on the
railroad.

He married in Thompson, Connecticut, Frances
Angeline Kelley, January 7, 1838. She died August
26, 1892. He died April 11, 1885. The children of
Abial Williams and Frances A. (Kelley) Wood
were: Asbury M., born in Concord, Massachusetts,
April 26, 1S39, killed by the cars at Providence,
Rhode Island, June 23, 1869; Frances I., born July
2, 1S40, married Dr. A. B. Eastman; resided at
Wellsboro, Pennsylvania, living at present in Mill-
bury, Massachusetts ; Pliny Williams, born in Mill-
bury. Massachusetts, December 13, 1848 ; Phebe
Etta, born in Millbury, July 16, 1850, died October
16, 1850; Irving Alexander, born November 13,
1851, in Millbury, died September 17, 1856; Judson
Irving, born in Millbury, September 11, 1856, for-
merly principal of the Methuen high school ; nine
years superintendent of schools at Ilion. New York;
now superintendent of the Gardner, Massachusetts,
schools.

(VII) Pliny Williams Wood, son of Abial Will-
iams Wood (6), was born in Millbury, Massachu-
setts, December 13, 1848. He was educated in the
schools of his native town. After graduating from
the high school he went to work for Barnard &
Sumner, dry goods dealers in Worcester, for the
yearly salary of one hundred dollars, but soon left
to go into the railroad business as flagman, first
working for seventy-five cents a day. He was soon
advanced, however, as he learned the Morse sys-
tem, to the position of telegraph operator and ticket
clerk. He was employed in this way by the Provi-
dence & Worcester Railroad Company for five years.
It gave him valuable business training.

He left the railroad business to complete his
education at Eastman's College at Poughkeepsie,
New York, from which he graduated in 1871. In
that year he accepted a position with Jason Emer-
son & Son, cotton brokers of Providence, Rhode
Island, as bookkeeper, a position that he filled for
five years. He then went to Millbury to become
the bookkeeper for C. D. Morse & Co., and later to
Worcester, where he was head bookkeeper for the
lumber business of Charles Baker & Co. In 1881
he began his business association with William H.
Sawyer, which still continues. He was engaged by
Mr. Sawyer as his confidential man. Mr. Sawyer
had a very extensive lumber business and interests in
the west. He co-operated with Mr. Sawyer for the
next ten years in building up a very large business.
In 1898 the W. H. Sawyer Lumber Co. was organ-
ized under the corporation laws of Massachusetts,
the stock being taken almost entirely by Mr. Saw-
yer and Mr. Wood, the former being president and
the latter secretary and treasurer of the corpora-
tion. The company has prospered as notably as
the business while under the sole ownership of Mr.
Sawyer.

Mr. Wood was the organizer and first president of
the Massachusetts Retail Lumber Dealers' Associa-
ii— 3



tion in 1901, an organization that has already been
beneficial to its members and successful in its objects
to an unusual extent. In his capacity as buyer for
the house and treasurer of the company he has al-
ways believed in the principle of live and let live,
and he believed that wholesale dealers should
strictly regard the rights of the retail dealers. 11-
realized the necessity of co-operation for mutual
protection and fair dealing. Accordingly he wrote
to about one hundred and fifty dealers in the state
and found them practically unanimous in favor of
an organization. So he called a meeting. It was
held at the Board of Trade rooms in Worcester, De-
cember 10, 1901. The dealers present organized the
association and Mr. Wood was elected president.
Three months later the association held its first an-
nual meeting, March 22, 1902, at the Bay State
House, Worcester. The annual report of the presi-
dent was published in the Lumberman's Review. It
shows the complete mastery of the subject on the
part of its author, and it demonstrated the use-
fulness of the organization and showed the wise
plans made for the upbuilding and perpetuation
of the association. Along the same line of
thought Mr. Wood made an important address
March 13. 1902, before the Massachusetts Whole-
sale Lumber Dealers' Association in Boston. Mr.
Wood not only has a clear insight and under-
standing of the fundamental thing in business, but
he has the ability to express his ideas and the ex-
ecutive ability to put his ideas into effect.

Outside of business Mr. Wood takes an interest
in various organizations. In 1873 he joined Olive
Branch Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, at Mill-
bury, and was secretary for three years. Since then
he has taken all the degrees in Masonry' both in
the York and Scottish Rites except thirty-third de-
gree, and is a member of the local Masonic bodies,
to which his degrees entitle him to membership.

He still retains property interests in Millbury,
his native town. He was a selectman of Millbury
in 1891-93. He has been a director in the Millbury
Young Men's Christian Association, and president
of the Millbury Social Union. He belongs to other
orders. He was a member of Morning Star Lodge,
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Order of
United American Mechanics, the Worcester Me-
chanics' Association, the Tatassit Canoe Club, the
Hancock Club, associate member of the Grand
Army. Mr. Wood is a Baptist. He was chairman
of the building committee of the Adams Square
Baptist Church in 1898 ; was president of the Wor-
cester Baptist Social Union in 1S99. From 1898
to 1906 he has been a member of the board of di-
rectors of the Worcester Young Men's Christian
Association and is now a director of Worcester
Board of Trade. He is a justice of the peace.

Air. Wood ranks high as a business man and
as a citizen. He has illustrated again the typi-
cal American methods of winning success in life.
He had to struggle with poverty to win his edu-
cation, and he had to save his salary to begin
business. Yet as he has succeeded he has broadened
and realized fully his duties toward society, church
and his fellowmen.

Mr. Wood married Mary Lizzie Lovell, daugh-
ter of Russell B. and Lydia (Marble) Lovell. of
Millbury. She was born at Woodstock, Vermont,
August 16, 1854. She attended school at Wood-
stock, Vermont, and Millbury. Massachusetts, where
her folks moved. She graduated from the Millbury
high school. Their children are: Pliny Williams,
Jr., born October 3, 1875, graduated from the Mill-
bury high school, class of 1892, and from the
Worcester Academy in 1895. He then entered the



34



WORCESTER COUNTY



Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where he graduated
with the degree of M. B. in 1899. He is now a de-
signer for the Worcester Loom Co.; Frances Irene,
born July 29, 1877, attended the Millbury sell". >ls
until 1890, graduated from the Worcester high school
in [897 and completed her education at Lasell
Seminary at Auburndale. Massachusetts; she has a
fine musical education; Helen Lydia, bom October
17, 1885, died at Millbury, October 23, 1887; Abial
Wayland, born August 9, 1887, attended the schools
at Millbury and graduated from the Classical high
school at Worcester, the class of 1906; is preparing
for entrance to Dartmouth College; Gladys Lovell,
born at Millbury, August 15, 1892, attends Wor-
cester schools.

WILLIAM HENRY COOK. Among the prom-
inent representatives of one of the various branches
of the Cook family in America, we rind the name
of Hon. William Henry Cook, late of Milford,
Massachusetts. He was son of James I. C. and
Marion E. (Robertson) Cook, and born in Ben-
nington, Vermont, January 7. 1843, where he re-
ceived his schooling, and where about one year
prior to that date his father had purchased an in-
terest in a publication styled, The State Banner, the
first number of which appeared in Bennington, Feb-
ruary s, 1841, under the hand of Enoch Davis.
Within a year, however, the brothers, Benjamin G.
and James I. C. Cook, became proprietors and
editors of this prominent Republican organ of south-
ern Vermont, and after the death of Benjamin G. in
1856, the publication was continued by James I. C.
with the help of his son until the year 1870. Two
years later, in 1872, the family moved to Milford,
Massachusetts.

At the early age. of nine years, William Henry
Cook began to learn the art of setting type in the
office of The State Banner, and in his early teens
delivered that paper to the subscribers about the
village of Bennington, receiving therefor a salary
of twenty-five cents per week. In 1859, when only
sixteen years of age, he became a partner with his
father, and was at that time the youngest editor of
a newspaper in the state of Vermont, and was pres-
ent at the organization of the Vermont Press Asso-
ciation. During the interim from 1870 to 1872, Mr.
Cook was a literary contributor to various papers,
lint in the spring of the latter year he, with his
father and brother George G., purchased the Milford
Journal and the job printing office connected with
it. the senior Mr. Cook superintending the mechan-
ical departments, William H. assuming the duties
as editor and George G. taking upon himself the
business management of the plant. The latter was
also postmaster during the Harrison administration.
In 1888 this firm established the Milford Daily
Journal, a penny paper, which met with popular
favor and immediate success. It may truthfully be
said that William H. Cook was born into the jour-
nalistic profession, and acquiring by practice and ex-
perience what he failed to secure by inheritance, he
became a master of his line of work. As early as
[830, his father, then thirteen years of age, began to
learn the typesetter's art at Bellows Fall, Vermont,
in the office of the Intelligencer, of which the lat-
ter's brother, Benjamin G. Cook, was proprietor,
and it proved his occupation for life.

Hon. William H. Cook was active in securing
the formation of Suburban Press Association and
for the first three years of its existence was its
president. He was also president of the Massachu-
setts Press Association two years, as well as of the
Republican Editorial Association from its establish-
ment in 1891 to 1899. In politics he was a stanch



Republican, even from boyhood, taking a deep inter-
est in the principles of that party, and before he
reached his majority was a delegate to a Republican
convention in Vermont, and at the age of twenty-
three was chairman of the Republican committee of
Bennington county. In 1877 he represented the sec-
ond Worcester county district in the lower branch
of the legislature, receiving the compliment of a
vote for a second term in 1878, and has served re-
peatedly as delegate to various conventions of his
party. He was elected to the state senate, represent-
ing the second Worcester county district in 1896,
was chairman of committee on prisons, committee
on liquor law, committee on engrossed bills and on
special committee on redisricting the state, and
was returned in 1897 and again in 1898. Mr. Cook
was a consistent, faithful worker in behalf of his
constituents, an able debator, a pleasing and con-
vincing speaker and a strong defender of what he
personally believed to be true Republican prin-
ciples.

With all his accomplishments he was a lover of
music, and found great enjoyment in devoting what
time he could spare from his professional duties to
the practice of music, being a proficient organist;
he officiated in that capacity for the Episcopal
church in Milford, where he attended worship. He
belonged to the order of Free Masons, being a mem-
ber of Stark Lodge, Bennington, Vermont. In re-
ferring to Mr. Cook's professional principles the
National Journalist has said, "He is a firm believer
in an individualized editorial column, which shall
state honest convictions in a plain and unequivocal
manner and stand by them."

Mr. Cook married, September 20, 1888, Mrs.
Georgiana Fay, widow of the late Joseph Allen
Fay, M. D., of Milford, a prominent physician of
high rank in his profession, who died November
10, 1883. She was the daughter of George and
Charlotte (Halstead) Glackmeyer, and born in New
Orleans, Louisana, September 2J, 1850.

The father of Joseph Allen l*ay, M. D., was
Allen Clark Fay, M. D., a skillful practitioner, also
of Milford, where he was well-known and highly
esteemed, and when he died, June 18, 1880, he was
in the sixth generation from John Fay, who was
born in England about 1648, and came in the ship
"Speedwell" from Gravesend, arriving in Boston
June 27, 1656, and resided at various times in Sud-
bury, Marlboro and Watertown, Massachusetts.
This Fay family line is John (.1), the immigrant,
Gershom (2), Gershom (,3), Joseph (4), Joseph
(5), Allen C. (6).

Honorable Henry Cook's line of ancestry we
trace back to Aaron Cook (1), who was admitted
freeman 1635, and of Northampton, Massachusetts,
1659, his son

(II) Aaron, baptized February 21, 1640, was
representative in 1689-91-93-97, and died September
16, 1716, in the seventy-sixth year of his age. He
married, May 30, 1661, Sarah, daughter of William
Westwood. She died March 24, 1730. in her eighty-
sixth year. He was known as Captain Aaron
Cook and resided in Hadley, Massachusetts. Their
children : Sarah, born January 30, 1662 ; Aaron,
Joannah, July 10, 1665; Westwood, March 29, 1670;
Samuel, November 16, 1672 ; Moses, May 5, 1675 ;
Elizabeth, January 9, 1677; Bridget, March 31, 1683.

(III) Moses Cook, born May 5, 1675, died March,
1758; married, July 4, 169S, Mary Barnard, who died
1753. He bore the title of captain, and resided in
Hadley, Massachusetts. Children: Mary, born
March 20, 1700; Moses, August 1, 1702, died April
19, 1825; Joannah, October 13, 1704; Aaron, Feb-
ruary 21, 1707; Margaret, March 18, 171 1; Elisha,





i^VCe-yi^





WORCESTER COUNTY



35



February 22, 1715; Martha, May 26, 1717; Hannah,
October 16, 1719.

(IV) Elisha Cook, born February 22, 1715, died
March 4, 1794; married, September 8, 1743, Sarah,
daughter of Noah Cook. He was Ensign Cook, re-
siding in Hadley. Children. Rebecca, born June
10, 1744, died May 23, 1751 ; Sarah, December 27,
1745, died August 23, 1746; Coleman, August 3,
1747; Elisha, September 3, 1749; Waitstill, February

25, 1752; Perez, February 18, 1754; Oliver, March

12, 1756, removed to Vermont; Gad, September 20,
1758; William Westwood, March 3, 1702.

(V) Coleman Cook, born August 3, 1747, mar-
ried, January 31, 1771, Hannah Smith. She died
February 22, 1824, aged eighty years, residence,
Hadley, Massachusetts, where he was a farmer.
•Children: David Smith, born November, 1771 ;
Sarah, February 14, 1774; Elizer, May 4, 1775;
James, September, 1777; Hannah, April 20, 1780;

Lucinda. April 20, 1783; Coleman, January 25, 1785,
removed to Vermont.

(VI) Coleman Cook, born January 25, 1785,
married Eunice Green, daughter of Jeptha and Mar-
garet Green, of Springfield, Massachusetts, and was
A shoe manufacturer in Hadley. Children: Benja-
min G., born July 31, 1804, died October 25, 1856;
Mary Ann, March 10, 1807; Eunice S., June, 1809;
William C, January 27, 1812, died May 28, 1840;
Francis H., August 22, 1815; James I. C, October

13, 1817; Alexander S. C, February 18, 1820.

(VII) James I. C. Cook, born October 13,
1817, married Maria E. Robertson, daughter of Will-
iam and Christiana Robertson, at Putney, Vermont,
October 13, 1840. He was a printer and publisher
in Bennington, Vermont, also in Milford, Massachu-
sstts. Children, all born in Bennington, were :
William Henry, born January 7, 1843, died August

26, 1900, in Milford. James Edwin, November 7,
1844, died October 16, 1847; Ella J., October 21,
1848; George G, September 9, 1854.

CLINTON SPAULDING MARSHALL, general
manager of the Washburn & Moen branch of the
United States Steel & Wire Company, at Worcester,



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 10 of 133)