Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 105 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 105 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


15, 1660, three and a half acres by Fresh Pond, and
Benjamin Bullard quitclaimed his rights "from his
another" in the property, viz. : her dower rights as
widow of his father. As the family genealogy of
the Bullard family gave Benjamin Bullard's father
as Benjamin instead of Robert, it is important to
show that the evidence of the relation is incontro-
\-ertible. Morse says that the names Bullard and
Bulwer are probably the same. The family is not
very numerous and seems never to have been very
prominent, but few of the Puritans have had more
numerous or distinguished posterity than this Ro-
bert Bullard who died almost unknown, a young
man, soon after his new home was established in
this country. If Benjamin Bullard drew land, as
Morse asserts, in Watertown in 1637, he could not
have been the son of Robert вАФ he was a young child,
but it is possible that Benjamin Bullard was the
father of Robert, and also of George, who was a
freeholder in Watertown in 1637 and died June,
1680, aged eighty-one, apparently born the same year
as Robert. Tohn Bullard, of Dedham, Isaac Bullard,
of Dedham, Nathaniel Bullard, of Dedham, and
"William Bullard, of Watertown and Dedham, were
all about the same age, nearly enough to be broth-
ers, and it is a reasonable assumption that they also
were brothers or closely related. The children of
Robert and Anne Bullard were: Benjamin, see
forward, and probably two daughters. A sister of
Benjamin is mentioned in the records of 1672.

(II) Benjamin Bullard, only son of Robert
Bullard (1), was born probably in England, 1634.
He was about five years old when his father died
and was taken by one of his uncles at Dedham,
where his name appears on the records about the
time he came of age and where he seemed to have
formed such connections as usually preceded a long
and youthful acquaintance. He was admitted a
townsman at Dedham, January 1, 1655-56, implying
previous residence on probation, good moral char-
acter and the age of twenty-one. When he struck
out for himself it was to settle in the wilderness at
Boggestow or Bogistow, later Sherborn, some twenty
miles from Dedham. He joined hands with George
Fairbanks, son of the immigrant Jonathan, a sketch
of both of whom will be found in this work, and
bought the southern half or third of a tract of
land belonging to the heirs of Robert Kayne, of
Boston, to whom had been granted in 1649, one
thousand and seventy-four acres at Pawsett Hill,
which is now partly in Sherborn, partly in Millis.
Captain Kayne died March 23, 1655-56. Hill and
Breck, two brothers-in-law, purchased at the same
time another part and these four constituted the sec-



ond company who settled west of Charles river.
They are known to have been there prior to Feb-
ruary 2, 1658, when the first child was born in
what is now Sherborn. Fairbanks and Bullard di-
vided their lands so as to give each other scattered
lots and secure sites for building near each other.
Bullard took the north and southwest parts and lo-
cated his dwelling on the north side of Bogistow
pond, near a copious and still valuable spring.

"The situation was admirably chosen for the
capture of game, the rearing of stock and for secur-
ity against surprise from hostile Indians. The
scenery was such as a man of taste would have
chosen. It is still both beautiful and sublime. From
his door he could survey the Broad meadows, a
wet prairie of five miles in extent, through which
Charles river meanders, and which in vernal and
autumnal seasons is converted into a lake. Hills
beyond covered with towering pines, then appeared
mountains, while the soil beneath, lifted by roots
above its present level, concealed the hideous bould-
ers which in consequence of their decay, the ab-
sence of protecting humus and leaves, and the action
of deeper and more frequent frosts, have since risen
to the surface and occasioned an inconsiderate im-
peachment of the judgment and taste of many an
early planter," wrote Rev. Abner Morse. "His land
was then arable and rich. But his was a frontier
location, cut off by river and marsh, and a distance
of four miles from the nearest settlement at Med-
field. His prospects and life were in danger. He
found Wood, Leland and Holbrook, settled from
one to two miles north and was joined by Rockwood
and Daniels within one mile south, making with Hill
and Breck, one third of a mile north, and Fairbank
hard by on the southwest, a settlement of nine fami-
lies to be defended by themselves. They selected
for the site of their garrison the north bank of
Bogistow pond, having long wet prairies on the east
and northwest, and they prepared to live in a state
of warfare the remainder of their lives. They built
for a garrison house a spacious and regular fortress,
superior to any similar structure on the frontier. It
was sixty-five or seventy feet long, two stories high,
all of faced stone brought over ice from a quarry
one mile distant on the northwest and laid in work-
manlike manner clay mortar. It had a double
row of port-holes on all sides, lined with white oak
plank and flaring inward, so as to require none to
expose himself before them, while the besieged, by
taking cross aims could direct their fire to every
point of the compass. The fortress was lighted and
entered from the south, overlooking the pond where
the bank was so low that assailants from that
quarter in levelling at the high windows would only
lodge bullets in a plank chamber floor or among
the furniture of the garret. The upper story was ap-
propriated for the women and children and had a
room partitioned off for the sick. To this place of
security our ancestors for more than two generations
were accustomed to flee in times of alarm and here
no small number of their children were born. In this
fort they were once besieged by a host of King
Philip's warriors, who, in despair of other means,
attempted to fire the building by running down the
declivity above it a cart of burning flax. Arrested
in its descent by a rock still to be seen, and an
Indian who had run down to start it having been
killed, a retreat was sounded and the lives of our
ancestors saved." The walls of this edifice were
carefully preserved by the descendants of Benjamin
Bullard until 1785, when the proprietor sold out to
a vandal who demolished them. The farm has
changed hands several times since, though it is
known as the Mason place. The site of the fort,



358



WORCESTER COUNTY



however, is but a few rods from the line of the
present Bullard farm, part of the original grant,
now occupied by John S. Bullard. That part of the
farm has never been surveyed or deeded, and the
present owner is a direct lineal descendant of the first
settler, all the owners successively having been
Bullards in the direct male line. No similar in-
stance is known. Mr. Bullard has two sons and two
grandsons living on the farm, and the succession
seems safe for the next half century or more.

In 1662 Benjamin Bullard signed the first peti-
tion for the incorporation of a town. In 1674 he
signed a second petition for the incorporation
of Sherborn, when their prayer was granted
and he with twelve other petitioners and
twenty more of such as they might consent
to receive as inhabitants, constituted a proprie-
tor of lands, now composing Sherborn. Holliston
and large districts of Framingham and Ashland.
Bullard was active in town and church. He was
one of six brethren to constitute the church at its
formation. He was tithingman in 1680, selectman
in 1688 and served on the committee to seat the
meeting house.

The Indian claim to lands granted at Sherborn
prior to the incorporation of the town not having
been extinguished by the original grantees, Bullard
united with nine other owners of these grants and
for twenty pounds paid to seven natives as princi-
pals and empowered by "the natural descendants of
the ancient inhabitants and proprietors of the lands
in and about Sherborn" procured, June 12, 1682,
quitclaim to four thousand acres. These included
his farm of one hundred and fifty acres, and in 1686
he was rated with forty proprietors and inhabitants
of Sherborn to raise an equal amount to extinguish
the Indian claim to the remainder of ten thousand
acres included in the township. He was rated
among the highest and, this rate having been early
adopted as the rule whereby the common lands
should be apportioned, he and his heirs drew large
shares and became the owners of much land.

He died intestate September 27, 1689, and ad-
ministration was granted to his son Samuel and
Sarah Bullard. His personal estate was appraised
November 28, 1689, by John Harding and Joseph
Bullard at two hundred and thirty-five pounds, six-
teen shillings, and from another inventory he seems
to have left a good property in stock and lands.
His Bible is in the possession of a descendant,
Mrs. Charles Nutt, Worcester, Massachusetts.
Doubtless many of his things are still to be found
on the old homestead and among his descendants.
The ancient Bullard farm on Bogistow brook, South
Sherborn and Millis, the Bullard farms in the south
and west parts of Sherborn and the north and west
of Holliston were inherited by his sons. His grave,
unmarked, is in the little graveyard near the farm,
in the centre of which is now a pasture on a knoll
overlooking the river. Here the founders of Sher-
born were buried.

Benjamin Bullard married (first), April 5, 1659,
at Dedham, Martha Pidge. She was born in Rox-
bury, January 12, 1642, daughter of Thomas and
Mary Pidge. He married (second) Elizabeth
Thorpe, 1677. She was the daughter of Henry
Thorpe, Bullard's stepfather. Children of Benjamin
and Martha Bullard were: Elizabeth; Mary, born
September 14, 1663, died July 31, 1666 ; Hon. Samuel
born December 26, 1667, married Deborah Ather-
ton ; Benjamin, born March 1, 1670, died 1766; mar-
ried Tabitha ; Hannah, born August 6, 1672,

married, May 30, 1692, William Sheffield; Lieutenant
Eleazer, born June 27, 1676, married Widow Sarah
Leland, 1704, settled in Medfield ; died without issue.



children of Benjamin and wife Elizabeth : John,
see forward; Elizabeth, born January 31, 1681, died
young; Mary, born February 20, 1683, married
Hopestill Leland, Jr., February 24, 1701-02; Malachi.
born March 8, 1685, married Bethia Fisher ; Isaac,
born July 25, 1688, married Sarah Morse.

(III) John Bullard, son of Benjamin Bullard
(2), was born in Sherborn, Massachusetts, March
7, 1678. He seems to have inherited a part of his
father's farm, which was in the northern part
of Medway near the southeast corner of Holliston
and almost surrounded by Bogistow brook. He mar-
ried, January 7, 1702, Abigail Leland, born February
17. 1683, daughter of Hopestill Leland by wife
Abigail Hill, and granddaughter of Henry and Mar-
garet (Babcock) Leland, and great-granddaughter
of the immigrant Hopestill Leland, who came from
Yorkshire, England, landed at Weymouth and died
at Medfield, 1665, aged seventy-five. The children,
born at Medway, were : Thankful, married John
Harding: John, born May 16, 1705. married, Febru-
ary 20, 1733, Sarah Daniels; (her platter marked
"S. B." is preserved by descendants of Galim Bul-
lard of Sherborn) ; Abigail, born December 4. 1708,
married Timothy Clark, of Medway ; Hannah, born
May 12, 1714, died about 1800; married Henry
Daniels, of Medway, 1733. who died in his ninety-
ninth year; Mary, born April 7, 1717, married Moses
Harding of Medfield, and had Nathan, Henry et al. ;
Comfort, born March 2, 1721, married Jonathan
Wheeler, of Medway; Henry, born October 1, 1723,
see forward.

(IV) Henry Bullard. son of John Bullard (3),
settled on the homestead at Medway. He was a
soldier in the revolution in the state and Continental
service, enlisting April 13, 1778; also private in
Captain Ezra Eames' company, Colonel Abner
Perry's regiment, enlisting July 30, 1780, on the
Rhode Island alarm. His son Henry was also a
soldier. He married, March 14, 1745-46, Jemima
Pond, who died May 19. 1766. He married (second)
Abigail Morse, daughter of Nathaniel Morse by
wife Sarah Coolidge. granddaughter of Joseph and
Priscilla (Colburn) Morse, and great-granddaughter
of John, son of the immigrant, Samuel Morse.

Children of Henry and Jemima Bullard were:
Mary, born October 14, 1746, died February 18,
1825*: married Timothy Hill, 1766; Henry, bom
April 29, 1749, see forward; Adam, born August 10,
1752, died March 8, 1843. married Lois Richardson,
sister of Rebecca Richardson; John (A. M.). born
November 28, 1756, married Elizabeth Adams,
daughter of Rev. Amos Adams, of Roxbury; Eli
(A. M).. born November 16, 1758, died May, 1824;
married Ruth Buckminster of Framingham ; Royal,
born Anril 21, 1762, died March 25, 1785 ; married
Ruth Penniman, of Medway; Samuel, born May
15, 1766, died September, 1830: married Abigaif
Bullard, daughter of Timothy. Children of Henry
and second wife Abigail were: Abigail, born April
11, 1773. died September 24, 1776; Margaret, born
November 1. 1775, died October 14. 1776: Liberty,
born November 11, 1777. died about 1848: married

Abigail Learned and (second) Holbrook, of

Bellingham; Amos, born February 25. 1780, died
about 1818: married Abigail Adams, daughter of
Obadiah Adams, of Medway; Abigail, born August
It. 17S3, married Thomas Burbank, settled at
Warren.

1 Y ) Henry Bullard, son of Henrv Bullard (4),
settled in the southeast part of Holliston. His
homestead was recently owned by direct descendants.
He built the house now or lately standing on the
farm. He was a soldier in the revolution in Captain
Jo hua Partridge's first Medway company, Colonel




tjffFK





WORCESTER COUNTY



359



John Smith's regiment on the Lexington alarm ;
also in Captain Joseph Lovell's company, Fourth
regiment, in 1776, and again in the state and con-
tinental service about :77s. He married Rebecca
Richardson, born April 3, 1751. died June 15, 1838.
Their children: Henry, born February 15, 1774, see
forward; Rebecca, born August 22, 1777, married
Reuben Hill; Moses, born September 20, 1779, re-
sided at Princeton; married Elizabeth Clark, born
November 16, 1782; Titus, born March 15. 1783,
died January 8, 1849, at Holliston ; married Esther
Whiting, born October 9, 1786, daughter of Elias
Whiting, of Medway, and had a large family;
Joanna, born March 21, 1792, married Elias Whiting,
resided at Medwav village.

(VI) Henry Billiard, son of Henry Bullard (5),
was born in Holliston, February 15, 1774. In early
life, after his school days, he learned the trade of
carpenter, which he followed until he removed in
1802 to Holden and bought. September 23, 1802.
of Peter Hubbard, for one thousand and sixty-six
dollars, a farm in what is called Lovellville now.
This farm was known as the old Winch place. It
was bounded on land of John Perry and Josiah
Cheney, the common land and the county road. He
farmed and followed his trade for a time but
finally sold his farm, except twenty-four acres of
woodland now owned by J. H. Turner, and removed
to Chaffinsville, where he bought another farm. He
was orthodox in religion and a Whig in politics.
He trained with the state militia. He married Han-
nah. Curtis, born May 25. 1775. daughter of Joseph
Curtis, of Medway. He died suddenly, being found
dead in bed, March, 183-1. The children: Hermon ;
James Perry, born November 19, 1800, at Framing-
ham, see forward : Henry, born January 20. 1802,
married Caroline Gilberts, resided at We s t Brook-
field, and had Emerson, Gilman, Martha A., Emer-
son M. and Jones; Silas, born July 29, 1805, at
Holden, married Adaline J. Gilmore, of Franklin,
lived there, and had Maria W.. born February 20,
1834; Maria C, Helen M., Elizabeth A.; Amasa,
born at Holden, December 8, 1808. died young;
Amasa Curtis, born July 21, 1812, resided at West
Brookfield.

(VII) James Perry Bullard, son of Henry Bul-
lard (6), was born at Framingham, Massachusetts,
November 19. 1800. He received his education in
the common schools at Holden. At the age of four-
teen he began to work out. and among others he
worked for was Stephen Salisbury, the first, grand-
father of the iate Stephen Salisbury, at the place
on Salisbury street, Worcester. He followed the
carpenter's trade for a short time, but finally went
back to Holden to help his father carry on the
farm. When his father died he bought out the
interest of one brother and the farm was divided
in halves, the remainder of the heirs taking one-half
and James Perry owning the other half. The farm
included some excellent woodland and he did con-
siderable business in winter, lumbering and dealing
in wood. He continued in the old place until his
death. February 19, 1871. He was a prosperous
farmer and a good citizen, enjoying the confidence
and esteem of all his townsmen. He attended the
Congregational Church. In politics he was a Whig
until the Republican party was organized, when,
with most of his party associates, he voted with
the Republicans the remainder of his life. He was
a highway surveyor of Holden and was a member
of the school committee. In his younger days he
served in the state militia.

He married at Worcester (intentions dated Feb-
ruary 4). 1826, Anna Smith, daughter of Daniel
Smith. Through her mother (Childs family) she



was a descendant of "Mayflower" stock. The chil-
dren: Maria Louisa, born March 15, 1837, married,
December 25, 1845, Charles Knowlton, of Holden;
Charles Perry, born December 4, 1829, married Abbie
S. Hudson and they have four children: James Hor-
ace, June 2, 1832, see forward; an infant died Octo-
ber I, 1834; Levi Curtis, born July 9, 1836, died Janu-
ary 10, 1871 ; a daughter died December, 1831) : a
son, born January 19, 1844, died February 4. 1N44.
(VIII) James Horace Bullard, son of Janus
Perry Bullard (7), was born in Holden, Massachu-
setts, June 2, 1832. He received his education in
the common schools of Holden, and helped his father
on the farm until he was eighteen years of age.
He learned the carpenter's trade and worked fiust
for Henry Parker, later for Lyman Bryant, who
did much of the building in Holden at that time.
He went to Worcester, where he was employed by
Daniel Smith in his sash and blind factory, remain-
ing there about eighteen months. He returned to
Holden and worked in the straw shop of Fisher
& Daniels at Medway, Massachusetts, for two 'years,
going from there to work a season in the straw
shop of George Richardson & Brother at South
Framingham. About 1862 he returned to Holden
and worked at his trade, also at farming, and
cared for his parents in their declining days. He
inherited the farm at his father's death in 1871,
and he carried on the place until February. i>)02,
when the house was destroyed by fire. The farm
was located in the southeastern part of the town.
Mr. Bullard is at present engaged in the bouse
painting business. He attends the Congregational
Church. In politics he is a Republican, and in 1005
was a delegate to the Republican state convention
at Rutland. He has been highway surveyor. He
belongs to Holden Grange, Patrons of Husbandry,
No. 78, and is a member of the Village Improve-
ment Society.

He married, May 30, 1866, Elizabeth Maria
Lowell, born November 18, 1838, at Worcester,
daughter of Oliver and Catherine (Moore) Lowell.
Her father was a carpenter and later a farmer at
Holden. They had no children.

ERNEST GRANT TURNER. John Turner
(1), the immigrant ancestor of Ernest Grant Turner,
of Holden, Massachusetts, was born in England
about 1620. He settled first in Roxbury, Massa-
chusetts, and was a member of the church there.
He was admitted a freeman May 2, 1649. He was
one of the thirteen original settlers of the town
of Medfield, Massachusetts. His house lot there
was on South street, near Curve street, the first
house on the left side. He lived in that house only
a few years. In 1665 he had leave to dig a well on
the common land. In 1667 he was allowed to dig
a cellar on common land opposite his house, and
next year he was graciously permitted to have "the
spot where his siller stands to set his house on."
This was near the corner of South and Philip streets.
Some of the children, born in Medfield, were bap-
tized in Roxbury. His first wife Deborah was the
mother of his children ; she died 1676. His second
wife Alice died 1680. He died 1705, at Medfield. He
was a selectman and leading citizen of the town.
The children : Elizabeth, born September 27, 1647,
died 1676; married, 1669. Samuel Smith; Deborah,
born January 14, 1649, married. November 18. r668,
Jabez Tatman, of Roxbury: John, born March 3.
1651. see forward: Isaac, born i6:;4: Mary, born
November 18, 1658, married Parker, of New-
bury; Samuel, born April 15, 1661, died 1685; Sarah,
burn November iS. 1663, died 1738: married, 1696,
John Plympton; (second) John Metcalf; Abigail,



360



WORCESTER COUNTY



born December 24, 1667, married Samuel Smith and
(second) Joseph Clark; Hannah, born April 21,
1670, died unmarried, 1752, at Walpole.

(II) John Turner, son of John Turner (1),
was born at Roxbury, Massachusetts, March 3, 165 1.
He settled in the south part of the town of Med-
field, on the old road from South Plain to Stop
river. In 1679 his father had a grant of land on
the top of the hill to the left of the cart path, and
there John, Jr. built his house as early as 1680.
The old cellar may be seen on the land now or late
of Stephen F. Turner, his descendant. After his
father's death he sold a part of the original place
near Philip's street to Isaac Wheeler, of Dedham.
He died in 1710. The inventory shows house, barn,
shop, lot of eighteen acres. The road runs past
the north end of the house from the waste lands to
South Plain. He was a soldier in King Philip's
war in the famous Moseley Company. He married,
1677. Sarah Adams, born in 1660 and died 1747,
daughter of Edward Adams, son of the immigrant,
Henry Adams. (See sketch of this Adams fam-
ily in this work.) The children: , Deborah, born
May 7, 1679, died young ; John, born January 22,
1681-82; Stephen, born October 22, 1684, married,
1 712, Judith Fisher, settled on the Ford place,
Wrentham, now Norfolk ; Edward, born December
7. 1688; Ebenezer, born November 24, 1693, see
forward.

1 111 ) Ebenezer Turner, son of John Turner (2),
was born at Medfield, Massachusetts, November 24,
1693, died at Walpole, Massachusetts, May 6, 1759.
He resided on the Walpole side of the line near
Medfield, and their children were probably all born
in Walpole. He married, 1716, Esther Clark, who
died December 21, 1774. The children: Ebenezer,
Jr.: Esther, married, February 17, 1742, Zachary
Partridge; John, settled Sturbridge; Joseph;
Bezaleel, see forward: Edward, born at Walpole,
December 17, 1728; Abner, born May 12, 1730, mar-
ried Abigail Smith; Elisha. born July 19, 1732,
died 1733; Elisha, born February 7, 1733-34;
Keturah, born May 9, 1735. married, 1761, John
Cleaveland ; Seth. born October 22, 1738.

(IV) Bezaleel Turner, son of Ebenezer Turner
(3), was born in Walpole or Medfield, in 1725,
and died at Walpole, January 19, 1787. He settled
at the extreme southeast part of Medfield, near the
Turner homestead, over the line in Walpole. His
house was burned in 1770 and the site is still shown
in the woods ; the house was not rebuilt and the
family removed to Walpole. He married, 1747,
Elizabeth Baker, born 1728, daughter of Abijah and
granddaughter of John and Preserved (Troot)
Baker, of Dorchester. Their children : Elizabeth,
born October 21, 1748 ; Bezaleel, born December 27,
1749, see forward; Joel, born February 27, 1751;
Hannah (twin), born March 23, 1753, died 1757;
Thankful (twin), born March 23, 1753, married
David Clark ; Nathan, born December 6, I7.S7, had
the homestead in Walpole : Hannah, born February
28. 1760: Lois, born April 4, 1762, married. Octo-
ber 27. 1781, Joseph Page: Asa, born June 19, T765,
married, October 24, 1798, Francis Winch ; Finis,
born June 24, 1767; Silence, born April 3. 1769.

(V) Bezaleel Turner, son of Bezaleel Turner
(4), was born at Medfield. Massachusetts, Decem-
ber 27, T749, died March 19. 1839, aged eighty-nine
years. He settled in Walpole at the time of his
marriage, but. shortly after the revolution, removed
to Holden, where in the vicinity of the present
Worcester reservoir he bought n large tract of land.
He continued to buv land until he owned vast tracts
of timber land. He was a soldier in the revolu-
tion from Walpole and marched April 19, 1775,



on the Lexington alarm in Captain Seth Bullard's



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 105 of 133)