Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 107 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 107 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Sewell, born October 5, 1851 ; Mary Elizabeth, born
January 26. 1852, died December 21, 1869; William,
born November 6, 1854, died March 28, 1879; Sarah
A., born September 22, 1856. 5. James Orison, see
forward. 6. Mary Davis, born at Sterling, August
26, 1819, died November 3, 1904; married, April 28,
1843, Jeremiah W. Smallidge and had four children:
William A., born October 20, 1844, died July 22,



364



WORCESTER COUNTY



1863; Mary Ellen, born March 8, 1848, married,
January 24, 1884, Frederick W. Chamberlain; Frank
Walter, born September 24, 1851, married, Septem-
ber 8, 1883, Emma Carson; Florence Elizabeth, born
December 24, 1855, married, January 26, 1882, Sam-
uel L. Kingsley. 7. Dolly Wilder, born at Sterling,
March 9, 1824, died January 6, 1902; married, Sep-
tember 26, 1846, Warren Willard Barron, born No-
vember 21, 1823, died April 19, 1905 ; had five chil-
dren — Andrew Warren, born April 2, 1848, died
November 20, 1889; married (first), October 23,
1869, Kate M. Hughes and (second), July 2, 1879,
Ella M. Wentworth; Emma Elizabeth, born April
15, 1851, married, December 23, 1874, Lewis E.
Brown; Ella, born May 23, 1853, died May 29, 1853;
Albert F., born October 30, 1854, died April 13,
1856; Fred Hastings, born September 29, 1857, died
November 17, 1903; married, November 26, 1884,
Sarah A. Probert. 8. George, born at Sterling,
March 10, 1826, married, March 24, 1861, Lucy Ann
Allen and had four children — Ella Augusta, born
May 9, 1862; Mary Elizabeth, born June 18, 1865,
died September 15, 1896; Ruth Isabelle, born Octo-
ber 7, 1S67, married, October 6, 1897, Herbert Pick-
ering; Alice Elmjna, born August 20, 1879. 9- De-
borah Elizabeth, born at Sterling, July 15, 1830, died
at Pittsfield, Massachusetts, March 2, 1902; married,
May 12, 1846, Alfred Wheeler Crossman and had .
children — Willis Alfred, born June, 1847, married
Louisa M. Sears, October, 1870; she died in 1896;
children — Nellie E., born March, 1880, married
Oscar A. Hardy and have Irene Louise Hardy;
Annie Florence Crossman, born February, 1857.

(IX) James Orison Buck, son of Silas Buck
(8), was born at Sterling, Massachusetts, May 9,
1818. He was educated there in the common schools,
beginning to work at an early age for William B.
Richardson on his farm and in his saw mill, and
continuing in his employ for a number of years.
About 1850 he bought the small mill, where he spent
much of his life afterward making chair stock, lad-
der rungs and other lumber. He conducted his mill
to the time of his death, December 25, 1893. Mr.
Buck was Orthodox in religion, a member of the
Sterling Congregational Church. In politics he was
a Republican. He married Azubah Smith, of New
York state, daughter of Elisha and Chloe (Pratt)
Smith. Their children: Thurston, born November
14, 1851, see forward; Eugene Richardson, born in
Princeton, June 30, 1853, see forward; Frank Her-
bert, born at Princeton, unmarried, lives with his
brothers.

(X) Thurston Buck, son of James Orison Buck
(9), was born at Sterling, Massachusetts, November
14, 185 1. He received his education in the public
schools of his native town and at the New Ipswich
Academy, New Ipswich, New Hampshire. He then
began to work with his father in the manufacture
of chair stock until he came of age, and afterward
for two years was in partnership with his father
in the manufacture of chair stock and ladders. He
then began on his own account, working in his
father's mill in the manufacture of ladders until
1880. After the first six months he was in partner-
ship with his brother Eugene. In 1880 they bought
the old Wilder mill, which was formerly a chair
stock and saw mill, and he and his brother made
chair stock, chairs and other lumber there with great
success. In June, 1883, the mill was destroyed by
fire with all its contents. Undismayed by the heavy
loss the brothers rebuilt the mill and continued the
manufacture of chairs, having discontinued the lad-
der business when they moved from their father's
shop. The firm name is T. & E. R. Buck. All
the business and property interests of the brothers



they hold in common. From a small beginning in a
mill thirty-five by forty feet, they have increased to
a floor area of thirteen thousand square feet. Start-
ing after the fire with very little capital, they now
do one of the most extensive businesses in the mak-
ing of wood seat chairs, employing some forty hands
all the time, with orders constantly ahead of them.
Indeed, the firm is so well established that for sev-
eral years no business has been solicited and yet
the business has constantly increased. They have
one of the best equipped plants in the section, being
constantly improved with new machinery for the
various processes of turning, planing and boring.
Power is furnished by a seventy-five horse-power
engine. They use mostly native woods for their busi-
ness. They have installed a system of hot air, blow-
ing from patent blowers into hot air kilns which en-
ables them to finish stock from the log to the com-
pleted chair in ten days. In a year the mill consumes
over two and one-half million pieces of turned stock
and several hundred thousand feet of lumber. They
made a spindle hardwood chair, hardwood, brace-
arm dining chair and a cheaper wooden chair.
Their market is all over the country. The plant
occupies about four acres of ground. In addition
to the mill business, the firm has dealt extensively
in real estate. They bought the old town farm of
one hundred and eighteen acres, the old Richardson
place of one hundred and fifty acres and the old
Walters place of one hundred and thirty-five acres,
besides much other valuable property, amounting
in all to over seven hundred acres. Thurston Buck
has recently built for himself a handsome residence
at Princeton. He attends the Methodist Episcopal
Church. In politics he is a Republican; he has been
a member of the school committee in Princeton.
He was made a member of Trinity Lodge of Free
Masons, November 28, 1874, ar >d > s now a member
of Boylston Lodge at West Boylston.

He married, February 24, 1874, Olive A. Shep-
ard, born April 15, 1858, daughter of Jeremiah and
Adalia (Newton) Shepard, of West Boylston. Her
father was a shoemaker. Children of Thurston and
Olive A. Buck : Harry Thurston, born April 22,
1876, married Corinne E. Clapp, of Princeton, and
have Ruth Angeline, born September 19, 1903 ; Lila
Olive, born December 23, 1879, married Charles Her-
bert Mansur, of Westminster, Massachusetts, and
have Clyde Nelson, born February 26, 1903 ; Ethel
Maria, born February 6, 1882, died November 7,
1904; married Ernest A. Mortimer and they have
Philip Buck, born October 26, 1904, died April 28,
1905 ; Helen Azubah, born September 14, 1887, re-
sides with parents.

1 X 1 Eugene Richardson Buck, son of James
Orison Buck (9), was born at Princeton, Massachu-
setts, June 30, 1853. He received his education in the
district school near his father's home, helping his
father in the saw mill at the same time from an
early age until he came of age. He earned his first
wages, when he was twenty-one years old in his
father's mill, where he continued to work for half
a year. He worked for various employers until he
was twenty-three years old. when he went into part-
nership with his brother Thurston to manufacture
ladder rungs, etc. From the beginning he has had
charge of the buying and selling and outside work.
The development and extent of the business of T.
& E. R. Buck is given in the sketch of Thurston
Buck, above. Eugene R. Buck has an attractive home
in Princeton, near the mill. He attends the Prince-
ton Congregational Church. In politics he is a Re-
publican and has often been a delegate to state, con-
gressional, county and representative conventions.
He has been selectman of Princeton for the past two



WORCESTER COUNTY



365



years and was for some years earlier. He has been
constable eighteen years. He is a member of the
Republican Club of Worcester.

He married, December 23, 1874, Ellen A. Reed,
of Sterling, born December 25, 1850, daughter of
Merrick and Mary E. (Maynard) Reed. Her father
was a farmer and veteran of the civil war. Their
children: Grace Lloyd, born September 10. 18S1,
married Roland S. Moore, of Princeton; Warren
Eugene, February 16, 1883 ; James Merrick, Octo-
ber 14, 1892; Norman Arthur, November 14, 1894;
Raymond Thurston, August 7, 1895; Alta Christine,
March 25, 1898.

CHARLES H. SHAW. John Robinson Shaw
(1), grandfather of Charles H. Shaw, of Millbury,
Massachusetts, was a native of White Hall, Moss-
ley, Lancashire, England. He married Rachel White-
head; their children: John Robinson, Jr., and
Joseph.

(II) John Robinson Shaw, Jr., son of John
Robinson (1), born in White Hall, Lancashire, Eng-
land, December 16, 1820, died November 3, 1899;
He married, December 15, 1846, Betty Broadbent,
born also in White Hall, February 12, 1821, died
February 27, 1902. They were married at the par-
ish church at Rochdale, England, walking to and
from the church, a distance of seven miles from
home, and always called that walk their wedding
journey. Late in 1854 Mr. Shaw decided to come
to America, and after exceedingly rough passage,
during which hope was almost abandoned at times,
he, his wife and four children, landed in New Eng-
land. He found employn/ent at his trade in the
shoe factory of ex-Congressman Joseph H. Walker,
at Worcester, where he worked for two years, for
one year in a Webster shoe factory, and then re-
moved to Leicester. He worked for twenty years
for Mowry A. Lapham, at Cherry Valley and Mill-
bury. He resided in Maynard four years, then re-
turned to Millbury, where he lived the rest of his
life, and where he died. His children: I. Hannah,
born September 30, 1847, died October 1849. 2.
Mary, born August 23, 1849. 3. Joseph, born July
16, 1851 ; died February 9, 1896. 4. James, born June
6, 1853 ; died August 4, 1858. 5. William, born May
10, 1855 ; died October 26, 1888. 6. Hannah, born
July 25, 1858; died September 1, 1859. 7. Charles
H., born August 19, 1865, mentioned below.

(II) Joseph Shaw, son of John Robinson, Sr.
(1), born in White Hall. England, married Frances,
daughter of William H. Harding, of Maynard,
Massachusetts. Their children : Mason H., men-
tioned below ; Everett Sydney ; Charles William.

(III) Mason H. Shaw, son of Joseph Shaw (2),
married Agnes Tatro. He was educated in the pub-
lic schools of Millbury and at the Commercial col-
lege of C. D. Post, Worcester. He entered the em-
ploy of Curtis & Marble, manufacturers of ma-
chinery, Worcester, and was bookkeeper for three
years. Since then he has been bookkeeper for his
uncle, Charles H. Shaw, of Millbury. He is secre-
tary and treasurer of the Millbury Cadet Band, or-
ganized in 1903, and is member of the Clerks' Asso-
ciation of Millbury. Children of Mason H. and
Agnes Shaw: Ra>mond. born October 6, 1904;
Marion E.. born April 6, 1906.

(Ill) Charles H. Shaw, son of John Robinson
Shaw, Jr., (2), was born in Leasville, near Worces-
ter, Massachusetts, August 19, 1865. He was edu-
cated in the public schools at Millbury. He is the
proprietor of a large genetal store on West Main
street, Millbury, beyond Burbank Square. He deals
in dry goods and groceries, coal and wood, etc.,
and has had a very successful business career. In



politics he is a Republican, and has served the town
as assessor, teller and ballot clerk at elections for
a number of years. He is an active member of the
First Congregational Church. He is of a musical
temperament, is one of the charter members of the
Millbury Cadet Band, and two years- ago erected a
band stand in the public square so that the band
might give concerts for the entertainment of the
public. Mr. Shaw resides with his mother, Bur-
bank street. He organized a society comprising the
Broadbent, Buckley and Shaw families, August 25,
1893, for the purpose of holding family reunions,
annually. The original officers were: President,
James Harrop; vice-president, Joseph Brooks;
treasurer, Henry W. Dennis ; secretary, Thomas
Swallow. At a reunion held September 4, 1899, the
following were elected : President, Henry W. Den-
nis; vice-president, Thomas Windle; treasurer, Ed-
ward Hoyle; secretary, Charles H. Shaw. These are
the present officers.

(Ill) Charles W. Shaw, son of Joseph Shaw
(2), was_ educated in the Millbury schools. He
worked in the mill four years, and has been in the
employ of Charles H. Shaw since 1893. Mr. Shaw
organized the Millbury Clerks' Association, and
was for five years its president. In 1896 he organ-
ized the Knights of Opus, on Burbank Hill, and
through the efforts of this club the debt of the Mill-
bury Congregational Church has been reduced a
thousand dollars. The club also raised $800 for re-
modeling and frescoing the church.

Mary Shaw, sister of Charles H. Shaw, was born
at White Hall, England, August 23, 1849. She
was educated in Cherry Valley, and in high school
at Maynard. She was in business as dressmaker
and milliner at Millbury for twelve years, and before
this was trimmer for A. G. Lowell, of Worcester;
for seven years ; at present she is clerking for her
brother at Millbury.

GOODHUE FAMILY. The earliest date to
which the Goodhue family has been traced in Eng-
land, whence the progenitor of the American family
came, is 12S0. William and Robert Goodhue
(Gudhewen) lived in county Kent at that time.
While it seems impossible to find the line of de-
scent there is good reason to believe that William
Goodhue, the American progenitor, belonged to the
family in Kent where nearly all of this name have
lived in England for a period of six centuries. The
name is spelled usually Goodhugh or Goodhew by
. the branches of the family in England. A coat
of arms is described as follows: "Or on a chevron
between three Griffins' heads, erased Gules, a swan's
neck, also erased, ducally gorged gold; on each
side of the field a Bee volant. Crest, a young shep-
herd leaning on the stump of a tree playing the
flute, his dog by his side. Motto: Dieu avec Nous.
Later arms have been granted since the family
came to America to the English branches.

(I) William Goodhue, the immigrant ancestor
of all of this surname in America, was born in Eng-
land, 1612-3. In 1635 or 1636, then twenty-four
years old, he came to New England and settled at
Ipswich. Massachusetts. He was chosen deacon of
the church. By history he is declared to have
been a man of more than ordinary intelligence, of
deep practical piety and of the highest integrity and
wisdom. For many years he served the town of
Ipswich in various civil capacities such as moderator,
selectman, representative to the general court. He
died in 1609. He took the freeman's oath December
7, 1636. He had numerous grants of land in and
after 1635. He was commoner in 1641, oi'.e of
Major Dennison's subscribers, one of the twenty-



3 66



WORCESTER COUNTY



seven who paid the highest taxes in 1664, selectman
in 1658, deputy 1666 to 1683. He was a weaver
by trade He resided in Ipswich until advanced in
years, when he gave up his farm there and went to
live with his son William at Chebacco (now Essex),
Massachusetts, where he died 1699-1700.

He married, in England, Margery Watson, of
Kent, who died at Ipswich, August 28, 1668. He
married (second) Mary Webb, widow, February 7,
1669-70. She died at Ipswich, September 7, 1680.
He married (third; Bethiah Grafton, a widow, who
died December 6. 1688. He married (fourth), 1689,
Remember Fisk, of Wenham, who survived him
and died at Ipswich, February 16, 1701-2. The
children of William and Margery Goodhue were:
Joseph; born 1639; William, of whom later; Mary.

(II) William Goodhue, son of William Goodhue
(1), was born at Ipswich, Massachusetts, 1645.
He was captain of the military company of the
town, and deacon of the church at Chebacco, of
which Rev. John Wise was pastor. He was at va-
rious times selectman and deputy to the general
court. He was a leader of the famous revolt against
the royal governor in 1687. An attempt had been
made by Sir Edmund Andros and his government
to collect a tax of one penny per pound in the
Massachusetts Bay colony. That tax was in viola-
tion of the charter of the colony and of the British
constitution, both of which guaranteed to English
citizens the right of representation in any legislative
body imposing a tax upon the people. The Ipswich
citizens led by their minister, Mr. Goodhue, and
John Andrews, proposed in town meeting to resist
the payment of this tax and were thrown into
prison by Andros, together with Robert Kinsman,
John Appleton and Robert French, other leading
citizens, denied the privilege of giving bail, tried,
convicted of contempt and high misdemeanor and
kept in the jail twenty days longer. Rev. John
Wise was suspended from the ministerial function
and fined fifty pounds. William Goodhue was fined
twenty pounds. This outrage on the minister and
deacon of the Chebacco Church was amply revenged
a few years later, when Andros was given some
of his own medicine. Deacon Goodhue was highly
respected and honored by his townsmen, eminently
useful and greatly beloved. He lived on a farm
which his father bought for two hundred and sixty-
five pounds, September 10, 1666, and in turn he
deeded it to his son William as a gift May I, 1686.
The town made him a grant of land as an in-
demnity for the losses and injuries he sustained
from the action of Governor Andros. He died
October 12, 1712, and was buried at Chebacco, where
his grave is marked by a headstone.

He married, November 14, 1666, Hannah DaneT
daughter of Rev. Francis Dane, of Andover, Massa-
chusetts. Their children were: William, born No-
vember 13, 1667; Nathaniel, born August 4, 1670, of
whom later; Hannah, born July 4, 1673; Josiah.
born March, 1676: Francis, born October 4, 1678
(II. C. 1699), died 1707 unmarried; Elizabeth; John,
born August 28, 1681, died September 19, 1685;
Margery, born August 12. 1685 : John, born August
12, 1685 (twins); Mary; Bethiah.

(III) Nathaniel Goodhue, son of William Good-
hue (2), was born in Chebacco, Massachusetts, Au-
gust 4, 1670, and settled there. He died there Au-
gust 16, 172L He married. 1606. Mercy Hawkes,
of I-ynn, Massachusetts. Their children were: Will-
iam, born October 15, 1609. of whom later; Sarah,
born February 8, 1701 ; Nathaniel, Jr., born Novem-
ber 2, 1702, died September 16, 1721 : John, born
January 5, 1707; Mercy, born February 19, 1709,



died October 12, 1721 ; Elizabeth, born December,
1710.

(IV) William Goodhue, son of Nathaniel Good-
hue (3), was born at Chebacco, Massachusetts, Octo-
ber 15, 1699, and settled there. He died October
2^, 1772. He married, August, 1727, Ruth Preston.
Their children were: Mercy, born 1728; Nathaniel,
born 1730; William, born 1733; Ebenezer, born
1735'- Elizabeth, born December, 1737; Sarah, born
1740; Lucy, born 1742; Hannah, born 1745; Ruth,
born 1747; Mary, born 1749-50; Ebenezer, born July

13, 1755-

( \ ) Ebenezer Goodhue, son of William Good-
hue (4), was born in Chebacco, July 13, 1735, and
settled there. He married, July 30, 1778, Sarah
Bunrham. Their children were: Ebenezer, born
July 13, 1780; Thomas B., born 1790, of whom
later: William, born 1781 ; Sarah, died March II,
1840, unmarried; Ruth and Lucy (twins).

(VI) Thomas B. Goodhue, son of Ebenezer
Goodhue (5), was born in Essex (Chebacco), Mas-
sachusetts, 1790. He settled in Lunenburg, Massa-
chusetts, and later he had a farm in what is now
Fitchburg,. formerly Lunenburg. He died May 16,
1873, aged eighty-three years. He married, Decem-
ber 26, 1825, Jerusha Hovey, of Lunenburg. She was
the daughter of Solomon Hovey, son of Abijah and
Lydia Hovey, descendant of the pioneer, Daniel
Hovey. Solomon Hovey was born at Boxford, No-
vember 18, 1748, died July 2, 1842; married, August
I 9. 1779, Jerusha Wyman, who was born at Woburn,
February 20, 1751, died January 28, 1831, aged
eighty years, daughter of NeJiemiah Wyman, de-
scendant of Francis Wyman, the immigrant. The
children of Solomon and Jerusha Hovey, according
to the family Bible, were : , born and died April

19, 1780: Solomon, born August 14, 1781, died
September 19, 1825; married, January 5, 1806, Sally
Johnson, who died April 20, 1829; Abijah, born Jan-
uary 20, 1783, died August 24, 1842; married,
June 11, 1809, Martha Story, of Fitchburg;
Ruth, born October 18, 1784, died June 18,
1786; William, born December 27, 1785, died
February 19, 1852, aged sixty-six years ; Jo-
seph F., born June 18, 1787, died February

20, 1842 ; married, October 2, 1810, Sally Randall ;
James, born March 10, 1789, died September 20,
1807; Jerusha, born January 29, 1792, died January

14, 1873, aged eighty years. The children of Thomas
B. and Jerusha Goodhue were : William Wyman,
born February 21, 1828, died July 24, 1829, aged
seventeen months, six days ; Joseph F., born Octo-
ber 19, T831, of whom later; Edward T. W. F,
born September 15, 1833, entered the Union army
and never returned; dote of death unknown.

(VII) Joseph Faulkner Goodhue, son of Thomas
B. Goodhue (6), was born in Fitchburg, Massa-
chusetts, October 19, 1831. He was brought up on
his father's farm and educated in the common
schools of his native town. At the age of eighteen
he began to learn the comb manufacturing busi-
ness of Gardner Morse, of Leominster. He began
to manufacture horn goods in 1869 in company with
Charles L. Joslin under the firm name of Goodhue
& Joslin. Their shop was on Mechanics street and
they began with half a dozen hands. As business
increased Mr. Goodhue removed his shop to a
building built for the purpose on Union street, where
he remained until his death. From 1871 to 1873
he was associated in business with Gay Adams,
Charles May and M. S. Phillips in the manufacture
of fancy combs and horn jewelry. After that he
was alone in business, manufacturing for more than
twenty years knife handles for the Collins Manu-



'•



k




JOSKl'H I'AII.KNHR CnuDIII V.



WORCESTER COUNTY



&7



facturing Company of Collinsville, Connecticut. He
was uniformly successful in business and acquired
a competence, this was the result of honorable
methods in business and consideration for his em-
ployes. He was devoted to his family. It was said
of him : "He was kind to his help. They would
do for him a good day's work, because he used them
like men."

He was a Republican in politics. He attended
the First Baptist Church. He was a member Of the
Leominster Gun Club. He was an overseer of the
poor of Leominster at one time. He was a lover
of the gun and rod and had made shooting trips
to all parts of the country. He had a keen eye,
a steady hand and was a very successful sportsman.
A few months before his death he had made a
western trip with Frank and George Cook, Charles
Hudson and Sumner Frost. He died after a short
illness of pneumonia, March 12, 1803. A friend
said of him: "Mr. Goodhue's great aim in life was
to do by others as he would be done by, a virtue
that won for him the hearty goodwill of his em-
ployes. That he had the esteem of a large circle
of friends is not to be wondered at. His genial
way and manner drew them toward him. He was a
man of very evenly balanced temperament, agree-
able socially and at all times and under all con-
ditions."

For two years after Mr. Goodhue's death the
business was carried on by his widow, Hannah A.
(Rugg) Goodhue, and son, Joseph A. Goodhue.
Then by his widow alone with George Elmer
Phillips as manager. In 1902 Mr. Phillips, who is
a nephew of Mrs. Goodhue, was admitted to part-
nership. The firm of Goodhue & Phillips has been
prosperous and the business has been moved re-
cently (1006) to larger quarters in the old Steven-
son 8z Bartlett chair factory on Colburn street.

Mr. Goodhue married. May 20. 1859. Catherine
Walsh, who died July 10, 1864. He married (sec-
ond) November 28. 1865, Hannah A. Rugg, daugh-
ter of Jacob and Hannah C. Rugg. The children
of Joseph Faulkner and Catherine Goodhue were :
Mary Elizabeth, born January 30, i860, died Janu-
ary 27, 1886, aged twenty-six years ; graduate of the
Leominster high school, class of 1879, member of
the Baptist Church ; Frederick William, born Febru-
ary 21, 1862. went south ; Charles Edward, born
March 31, 1864, died July 10, 1864. The children
of Joseph Faulkner and Hannah A. Goodhue were :
Joseph Augustus, born November 25, 1868, of whom
later ; Carrie Marinda, born July 6, 1873, 0I whom



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 107 of 133)