Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 108 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 108 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


later; Katie Isabel, born July 13. 1875, died 1895;
Mabel Frances, born November 26, 1876, of whom
later.

(VIII) Joseph Augustus Goodhue, son of Jo-
seph Faulkner Goodhue (7), was born November
25, 1868. He attended the Leominster public and
"high schools and Eastman's Business College at
Poughkeepsie. New York. He was physical director
for the Young Men's Christian Association at Wash-
ington, D. C. He assisted his mother for two
years after his father's death in conducting the busi-
ness. He was for a time bookkeeper of Clesson,
Kenny Lumber Company. In 1002 he accepted a
position at Beirut. Syria, in the American College
there, teaching nhysical culture. He returned in
1905 to his position in Washington.

(VIII) Carrie Marinda Goodhue, daughter of
Joseph Faulkner Goodhue (7), was born in Leom-
inster, July 6. 1873. She married, August 27, 1891,
George A. Davis, who was born in Chelmsford,
September 28. 1865, and died 1807, at Leominster.
He worked first for John B. Farnsworth, plumber,
then for a time in a piano case factory, and for



Joseph F. Goodhue. July 1, 1893, he started a
milk route, which he carried on up to the time of
his death. The children of George A. and Carrie
Marinda Davis were: Ralph A., and Ronald E.

(VIII) Mabel Frances Goodhue, daughter of
Joseph Faulkner (7), was born November 26, 1876.
She married Preston Smith in 1902. He is a grad-
uate of the Fitchburg high school, 1896, and of
the State Normal school at Fitchburg. He taught
science in the Leominster high school, September,
1900, to June, 1902; was teacher in the Brockton
high school, then became teacher of manual train-
ing and physical science in the Fitchburg State
Normal school, a position he occupies at present.
He resides on Mt. Vernon street, Fitchburg.

HENRY A. HOVEY. Daniel Hovey (1), the
emigrant ancestor of Henry A. Hovey, of Worcester,
and of all the American Hoveys, was born, probably
in England, in 1618, but his birthplace and parentage
are unknown. It is now thought that he came
to Ipswich on the "Griffin" in 1633, in the colony
of John Winthrop, Jr. In 1637 Mr. Hoflfe, who
is supposed to be Daniel Hovey, was an assistant
to Governor Haynes, who also came on the "Griffin."
At any rate he was settled in Ipswich in 1637, and
the owner of six acres of land there, situated on
Muddy creek. In 1639 he was granted one acre by
the town for a house lot on the south side of the
Town river, between the lot of William Holdred
and that of Thomas Sherman, and bought a half
acre of Holdred to add to his house lot. In 1665
he had a share in Plum Island. Hog Island and
Castle Neck. He was on the town committees to
view Ipswich Neck and Castle Neck, and served
with Simon Thomson to lay out lots to other set-
tlers.

In 1659 he received permission to build a wharf,
which Felt's history describes as built in 1660. This
ancient landing place, now two hundred and forty-
five years old, is still in use by small craft, though
somewhat dilipidated and out of repair. Hovey's
house was in existence until 1894, when it was
destroyed by fire. For seventeen years previously,
however, it had been dismantled and tenantless.
Relics from the ancient house have been scattered
among the Hovey descendants nil over the coun-
try. He was interested in the settlement at Quaboag,
afterward Brookfield, Massachusetts. A colony
from Ipswich went there in 1660. He joined it in
7668. and for about seven years he appears to have
lived there. King Philip's war in 1675 drove the
settlers from Brookfield, which was totally destroyed.
After the destruction of Brookfield, he went for a
time to Hadley. Massachusetts, with his sons Thomas
and Joseph. He was there in 1677. when he sold
some of his Ipswich property to John Dane, whose
daughter married James Hovey in 1670. He subse-
quently returned to Ipswich to live. He died April
24. 1692. His will was made March 18, 1691-2.
Among numerous parcels of real estate mentioned
were three acres on Plum Island, bnd on both
sides of the road leading to Hovev wharf and back
along the road to Labor-in-vain creek, estates at
Brookfield. Swampfield and . Topsfir'd. Massachu-
setts. Thomas Hovey. his executor, estimated the
personal estate after the pavment of debts to be
over six hundred pounds. Daniel Hovey was evi-
dently a man of piety. He was tmd" a freeman
March 11, 1673. and took his full nnr* in the duties
of pioneer citizenship in Ipswich and Rrookfield.

He married Abigail Andrews, sister of Thomas
Andrews, the Ipswich school teacher Her father,
Robert Andrews, was the first in the vicinity of
Ipswich allowed by the general r^tirt to keep a



3 68



WORCESTER COUNTY



tavern. This was in 1635, and in 1636 he was also
allowed to sell wine. Mrs. Hovey died June 24,
1665, before he moved to Brookfield. Their chil-
dren: I. Daniel, born 1642; resided at Ipswich and
Brookfield and had: Daniel, 1666; Nathaniel, 1667;
Thomas, 1673, settled at Boxford, Massachusetts ;
John, 1675 ; Ebenezer, 1682, and daughters Abigail,
Mary and Mercy. His wife was Esther Treadwell,
daughter of Thomas Treadwell, married October 8,
1665. He died May 29, 1695; h' s w ' Ie Esther died
January 4, 1730, aged ninety years. 2. John, settled
in Topsfield and had sons Ivory, Luke, and John,
born 1707, progenitor of a large number of de-
scendants there. 3. Thomas settled in Hadley, Mas-
sachusetts, had sons Daniel and Thomas, and numer-
ous descendants in Hadley and vicinity, was executor
of his father's will. 4. James (see forward). 5.
Joseph settled at Hadley, Massachusetts, with
brother Thomas, but later removed to Milton, Mas-
sachusetts, where he died ; left sons : Joseph, born
1678; Ebenezer, born 1680; John, born 1684; Caleb,
of Newton, born 1687; Thomas, born 1681. (?) 6.
Nathaniel, born 1657, had a son Nathaniel.

(II) James Hovey, son of Daniel Hovey (1),
born about 1650, in Ipswich, Massachusetts ; set-
tled with his father and brother in Brookfield. In
1668 three home lots were laid out in Brookfield
to Daniel Hovey, of Ipswich, and his sons James
and Thomas. Thomas did not settle in Brook-
field. He went to Hadley. Daniel Hovey and James
Hovey settled in 1668, and stayed until the town
was destroyed in 1675. James Hovey, a young man,
was killed while fighting Indians in King Philip's
war. He left three children : Daniel, James and
Priscilla. Daniel was brought up by his grand-
father for whom he was named; James (see for-
ward) ; Priscilla married Samuel Smith.

(Ill) James Hovey, son of James Hovey (2),
born at Brookfield, Massachusetts, 1674; settled at
Maiden, Massachusetts. He was deacon of the
church there, and a man of prominence. He had
a grant of land in Maiden 1704-5, some years after
he had made his home there. He fought in the
French and Indian wars and was taken a prisoner.
The name of James Hovey, of Maiden, was on a
roll of English prisoners in the hands of the French
and Indians in Canada, which was brought by mes-
sengers of the French governor, Vaudreil, in the
winter of 1710-11. When he was taken and when
he was released does not appear on the records.

He married (first) Deborah by whom he

had eleven children. He married (second) Eliza-
beth by whom he had five children. Elizabeth

died October I, 1750, aged fifty-four years. He
married (third) May 7, 1751, Susanna Dexter. She
died February 14. 1768, aged fifty-seven years. He
died July 13, 1765, at Maiden. Most of his chil-
dren located at or near Mansfield, Connecticut,
and have left a large number of descendants in
Connecticut. The children of James Hovey were:
James, born September 24, 1605: Deborah, born
April 2, 1607 ; Edmund, born July 10. 1699, married
Mary Farwell and Ann Huntington; John, born
February, 1700, died young ; Mary, born December,
1702, married Nathan Sprague, April 17. 1749-50:
Joseph, born February 6, 1704-5, married Ruth Clos-
son and Thankful Hovey : Thomas, born February
I. 1706-7; Priscilla, born December II, 1708; Daniel
(see forward) ; Samuel, born April 29, 1713, died
March 77. 1714; Abigail, born March 15. 1714;
Jatries. born June 21. 1719: Elizabeth, born 1723,
died June 28, 1736; Mary, born October 24, 1727;
John, born October 23, 1730; Joseph, born June 10,

1739

(IV) Daniel Hovey, son of James Hovey (3),



born at Maiden, Massachusetts, December 7, 17 10.
He went with others of the family to Mansfield,
Connecticut, where he married Elizabeth Slap,
daughter of John Slap, of Mansfield, Connecticut,
December 6, 1732. His brothers Edmund, John,
James, Joseph and Thomas settled in the same
town and had families. The children of Daniel
Hovey, all born at Mansfield, are : Elizabeth, born
November 1, 1734; Daniel (see forward); Enoch,
born 'November 10, 1738; Anne, born December 21,
1740; Josiah, born August 24, 1743; Hannah, born
June 15, 1745; Simeon, born October 15, 1747; Mer-
riam, born April 5, 1752; Ellis, daughter, born De-
cember 15, 1754.

(V) Daniel Hovey, son of Daniel Hovey (4),
born at Mansfield, Connecticut, September, 1736;
married Keziah and lived at Mansfield, Con-
necticut, until about 1775, when they moved, with
a company of Connecticut colonists, from Plain-
field and vicinity to a new town near Hanover,
New Hampshire, which was named Plainfield. In
this vicinity Nathaniel and James Hovey, sons of
James Hovey, and grandsons of James Hovey. of
Maiden, made their homes. Nathaniel Hovey was
first town clerk of Landaff, a new town in the
county, and was a grantee of Bridgewater, New
Hampshire, in 1761. Three of Daniel's children were
born at Mansfield, Connecticut. He was a soldier
in the revolution and was taken prisoner October
10, 1781, and detained in Canada for nine months.
He was living in 1832, in Lyme, New Hampshire.
During the revolution he was accredited to the town
of Dresden, New Hampshire, but may have lived
in some town in the vicinity. The records show
that William Hovey, his son, who came to Wor-
cester, was born at Plainfield in 1786. His chil-
dren were : Lucy, born at Mansfield, Connecticut,
August 3, 1769; Vinee, born at Mansfield, June 8,
1771 ; Dan (or Daniel), born at Mansfield, Feb-
ruary 17, 1774; William, born at Plainfield, New
Hampshire, 1786.

(VI) William Hovey, of Worcester, the founder
of the Hovey family of Worcester, came there about
a hundred years ago. He married Prudence A.
Whitney, of that city, February 27, 1812. He died
September 4, 1855 at the age of sixty-nine years.
His wife died July 2, 1S72, also at Worcester, aged
seventy-seven years, six months. Both are buried
at Rural cemetery, Worcester. William Hovey was
a manufacturer of plows, and was a wealthy and
prominent man in his day. His home was at the
corner of Main and Front streets, opposite the city
hll. on what is now perhaps the best and most
valuable business location in the city, and was
then a centre of social life. It was known later
as the Bradley House, after Mr. Hovey sold it.
The children of William and Prudence A. Hovey
as recorded in Worcester were : William Henry,
born April 11, 1813 ; Charles Hovey, born January
1. 1815. married Ann D. Baker, November 26, 1840,
and had Mary Elizabeth and a son ; George, born
April 19, 1817. married Catherine and had two
daughters, Marion and Emma ; Francis, born Feb-
ruary 17. 1819, married Ellen Packard, December 13,
1847, died January 23, 18S5 ; John Gates, born July
24, 1821, at Boston ; James (see forward) ; Ann.
born March 31, 1826. married George Rice, had one
daughter. Fanny ; died April 12, 1857 ; Albert E..
born May 4. 1828. died February 13. i8=;3-

(VII) James Hovey, son of William (6) and
Prudence Ann (Whitney) Hovey, born JanuaryS,
1824; died October 4, i860. He was associated with
his father in the plow business. He married Mary
Johnson, of Worcester. Their only child was
Henry A., born February 14. 1850.



WORCESTER COUNTY



369



(VIII) Henry A. Hovcy, son of James (7),
and Mary Hovey, has been a successful business
man of Worcester. At present he is associated with
his 1 wo sons in the Hovey laundry, which has had a
very prosperous history, and is rapidly growing.
The plant has been moved to a now brick building
on Austin street, built especially for the business.
Mr. Hovey is a member of the Worcester Conti-
nentals. He was formerly an officer of the uni-
formed rank of the Knights of Pythias, and be-
longs to Damascus Lodge. He joined the Elks in
Providence several years ago. He married Ava
Gertrude Parsons, daughter of George and Abigail
Pv (Russell) Parsons, May 5, 1875. (.See sketch of
Russell "family.) Children are: Henry Prescott,
see forward; George Russell (see forward 1.

t IX) Henry Prescott Hovey, son of Henry A.
(8). ami Ava G. (Parsons) Hovey, was born Febru-
ary 24, 1881 ; married. January 20, 1904. Ethel May
How land, daughter of Lucius Howland, of Wor-
cester, lineal descendants from John Howland, who
came as Governor Carver's secretary to Plymouth
in the Mayflower, and was a prominent man among
the Pilgrim colonists. Henry P. Hovey is associated
with his father and brother in the Hovey laundry.
He is a graduate of the Worcester high school, class
of 1900.

(IX) George Russell Hovey, son of Henry A.
(8), and Ava G. (Parsons) Hovey, was born at
Worcester, September 2, 1883. He was educated in
the public schools, graduating from the. high school,
class of 1901. He is the junior partner in the firm
operating the Hovey laundry. He married Julia
Blanche Anderson, of Worcester, January 10, 1906.

RUSSELL FAMILY. William Russell (1), of
Cambridge, was the emigrant ancestor of a large
and distinguished family. He was perhaps the fore-
most citizen Of Cambridge for many years. His
name figures often and honorably in the early-
records. He married Martha , in England, and

his first child was born in the old country. He died
February 14, 1661. Their children were: Joseph,
born 111 England 1636; Benjamin, born in Cam-
hnile ■; John, born in Cambridge, September 11,
11143: Martha; Philip, born about 1O50; William,
horn April 28. 1655; Jason, born November 14. [658;
Joyce, born .March 31. 1660, married Edmund Rice,
of Sudbury, before 1681. His widow married Hum-
phrey Bradshaw, March 24. 1665, and Thomas Hall,
May 24, 1083; died about 1694.

(II) Jason Russell, son of William (1), and
Martha, born November 14, 1658. at Cambridge ;
married Mary Hubbard (sometimes spelled Flobart),
daughter of James Hubbard, March 27, 1684. Their
children were: Hubbard, see forward; Martha, born
May 2, 1691, married Henry Dunster, February 25,
1707-8, and (second) Francis Locke, March 15,
1750; died June 27, 1771. Mr. Russell resided at
Menotomy, the western part of Cambridge, some-
time a part of the township, later West Cambridge,
and now- Arlington, Massachusetts. He was a se-
lectman for four years. 1707-1711; died about April
in 1736. 11:- wife. Mary, died May 14. 1738.

(llli Hubbard Russell, son of Jason (2), and
Mary Russell, was born May 20, [687; married
Elizabeth Dickson, May 9, 1710. He also resided
at Menotomy. He died June. 1726. at the age of

thirty-nine and his widow married Holden,

(probably Joseph Holden), of Watertown, June
11, 1729. The children of Hubbard and Elizabeth
Russell were: Jason, baptized March 25, 171 1. died
young; Mary, born December 7. 1712, married Da-
vid Dunster: Margaret, born April 30, 1715; mar-
ii— 24



ried Joseph Belknap; Jason, see forward; Hubbard,
baptized April 24, 1720. died young.

(IV 1 Jason Russell, son of Hubbard (3) and
Elizabeth Russell, born January 2S, 1716-7; married
Elizabeth Winship, January 28. 1739-40. He was
killed by the British, April 19, 1775. Their chil-
dren were: Jason, born March 7, 1741-2; Elizabeth,
burn December 27. 1743. died March 29, 1751 ; John,
born August 4. 1740 : Hubbard, born March 23. 1749.
married Sarah Warren, .if Weston (published
March 31, 1774) : Thomas, born July 22. 1751 : Noah,
born July 15, 1753. died October 13. 1754; Elizabeth,
born July 3, 1756, married Jonathan Webber. March
12, 1778: Alary, baptized -May 17. [762; X ah. born
March 8. 1763.

His wife, Elizabeth, died August it, 1786. aged
sixty-five. She had a Bible, bought with money
sent by an anonymous friend in England, in con-
sideration of the loss of her husband, who was
murdered by the British troops. His home, where
he was slain, after the battle of Lexington and Con-
cord, by the retreating British, was in Arlington.
A handsome granite monument has been erected by
Arlington in memory of him and other early
martyrs. Reports differ as to whether he was fight-
ing or an invalid who refused to leave his home
mi the approach of the troops, saving to a neighbor
who urged him to fly that: "An Englishman's house
is his castle." He was nearly sixty years old, and
the murder could not be justified whether he had
been fighting at the side of his neighbors or not.
The stone in the Precinct burying ground at Arling-
ton bears the following inscription: "Mr. Jason Rus-
sell was barbarously murdered in his own house by
Gage's bloody troops on 19th April, 1775, aet. 50.
His body is quietly resting in this grave with eleven
of our friends who, in like manner with many others,
were cruelly slain on that fatal day. Blessed are
the dead who die in the Lord." A large granite
obelisk erected later bears the following inscription:
"Erected by the inhabitants of West Cambridge. A.
D. 1848, over the common grave of Jason Russell,
Jason Winship, Jabez Wyman and nine others who
w ' 1 slain in this town by the British troops on their
retreat from the battles of Lexington and Concord,
April 19, 1775. Being among the first to lay
their lives in the struggle for American Independ
ence." The site of his house, (which is still stand
ing, 1905), has been marked by a tablet s 1
inscribed.

i\ ) Noah Russell, son of Jascn (4) and Eliza-
beth Russell, was born at West Cambridge, Massa-
chusetts, March 8, 1763; married Eunice Bemis, of
Waltham, September 12, 1782; died at Arlii
( \\ est Cambridge) November 6, 1724. He was pre-
cinct en Hector in 1789, 1804-5, and precinct con; 111 ;
teeman in 1807. Their children were: Eunice, bap-
tized .May 0. 17S3. married Alpheus Leach. October
30. [805; Jason, tsce forward); Elizabeth, ba]
September 7. 178S. died October 21. 1801 ; J
baptized April 17. 1791, settled in Xew Yort
Lydia. born January 8, [793, at Waltham, die
30, 18S6, at Arlington; married. August 25,

s H. Teel, who died December 11. 1853: Abi-
gail, baptized September 6, 1795. married
In 1 t. February 17, 1S18.

( Yl) Jason Russell, son of Noah (5) and Eu i
Russell, born March 2, 1785; died February 23,
1869. Married, March 10, 1809, Elizabeth Thorp,
of Acton, born September 7, 1787, died July 5. [874.
The Russells were well off. Jason Russell's father
was a man of wealth and influence, and Jason was
the keeper of the general store at Arlington.
1819 he left Arlington and bought a farm at Stat-



3"o



WORCESTER COUNTY



ford, Connecticut. The children, of whom the first
four were born in Arlington, the rest in Staf-
ford, were: Jason, born July 16, 1810, mar-
ried Amanda Maria Allen, February 15, 1841 ;
William, born April 27, 1813, married Louisa
Converse, June 17, 1834, died April 10, 1892 ; Sa-
brina Elizabeth, born August 23, 1815, married
Amasa Converse, November 19, 1840, died March
4, 1892; Thomas Emerson, born March 17, 1818,
died in California, October 26, 1850; Benjamin
Franklin, born August 22, 1820, married Elizabeth
Oilman Colby, April 30, 1846 ; Adaline, born March
23, 1823, married Thomas Weaver, July 2. 1848;
died May 5, 1893; Abigail Prescott, (see forward) ;
George Prescott, born March 24, 1827 ; resides in
Chicago; Charles Henry, born January 15, 1830. re-
sides at Stafford, Connecticut; Louisa Jane, born
September 27, 1833.

Elizabeth Thorpe, wife of Jason Russell, was
daughter of Thomas and Sobrina Thorpe. Thomas
Thrope was a revolutionary soldier from the battle
of Lexington to the close. He was with the Acton
minute men whom Gage's troops fired on. His
father was Thomas Thorpe. The Thorpes were
among the first settlers of Massachusetts. Sobrina
Emerson, who married Thomas Thrope, was de-
scended from Oliver Emerson, who married Fran-
ces Prescott, a descendant of John Prescott, a black-
smith, who settled at Watertown and later at Lan-
caster in 1647. He built a mill there and began
to grind corn June 23, 1654. He was descended
from a titled family of Prescotts in England.

(VII) Abigail Prescott Russell, daughter of
Jason (6) and Elizabeth Russell, born November
12, 1824, married, December 25, 1849, at Worcester,
Massachusetts, George Parsons, son of Eber Parsons,
and grandson of John Parsons, who came from
another old English family, and was among the first
to settle in Massachusetts. Eber Parsons was born
1787; died 1857. George Parsons was born in Sut-
ton in 1826. He attended the public schools at
Sutton and learned the trade of shoemaker. He was
for many years overseer at the penitentiary at
Rochester, New York, and afterward represented
Elwanger & Barry, one of the Rochester seed and
nursery houses, on the road. He enlisted in Com-
pany D, Fifteenth Massachusetts Volunteers, under
Captain Studley, and was in the Peninsular campaign.
Among other engagements he was in was Spottsyl-
vania. He died from disease, contracted in the serv-

e, at the Fairfax Seminary hospital January 8,
1803, in Saldus count), Virginia, and is buried in
the soldiers' cemetery, Alexandria, Virginia. The
children of George Parsons and Abigail Prescott
' sell were: Ida Estelle, (see forwar.li: Ava
Gertrude, born June 8, 1854; George Washington,
born April i. [857, died February 17, 1896. Mrs.
Parsons resides at 40 Austin street, Worcester,
achusetts.

(VIII) Ida Estelle Parsons, daughter of George
Parsons and Abigail P. Russell (7), born July 5,
1851 ; married George Warren Howe in 1872, and

cond) Elbridge F. Russell. February. 1887, and
resides in Chicago (1905). They have no children.
(VIII) Ava Gertrude, daughter of George Par-
sons and Abigail P. Russell (7), born June 8. 1S54;
married Henry A. Hovey, of Worcester, May 5,
r87S. (See sketch of Hovey family). Their chil-
dren were: I. Henry Prescott Hovey, horn Feb-
ruary 24. 18S1 ; married. January 20. 1004. Ethel
. , Howland, daughter of Lucius Howland, of
Worci ter, a lineal descendant of John Howland,
who came to Plymouth in the "Mayflower," a stew-
secretary for Govern r Carver. 2. Geo



Russell Hovey, born September 2, 1883; married
Julia Blanche Anderson, of Worcester, January 10,
1906.

EDWIN D. BRIGHAM. Thomas Brigham (1).
immigrant ancestor of Edwin D. Brigham, of Ash-
burnham, Massachusetts, is believed to have been
born in Cumberland county, England. He sailed
from London, England, April 18, 1635, in the ship
"Susan and Ellen,' Edward Payne, master. He set-
tled in Watertown, where he had a fourteen acre
lot. which he bought of John Dogget, and part of
his land was annexed to Cambridge, wdiere he built
his house on a three acre-and-a-half homestall. His
lot was bounded by the land of Joseph Isaac and
Simon Crosby, and the road from Cambridge to
Watertown, about two thirds of a mile, abutting on
the Charles river. He resided there until 1648. He
was admitted a freeman in 1639, was selectman
1640-42-47, constable from 1639 tn I0 42 and one of
the leading citizens. He owned a wind mill and had
a large estate. He died December 18, 1653, and his
widow married (second), March 1, 1655, Edmund
Rice, of Sudbury and Marlborough. Her maiden
name was Mercy Hurd and she is said to have come
over with her sister for reasons of religion. She
had two daughters by Edmund Rice. She married
(third) William Hunt, of Marlborough, in 1604; he
died in 1667 and she died December 2i, 1693, an.r a
third widowhood lasting twenty-six years. Children
of Thomas and Mercy Brigham: Mary. Thomas,
born 1640, see forward; John, March 9, 1O49-50,
married Samuel Wells; Samuel, January 12, 1652,
died July 24, 1713.

(II) Thomas Brigham, Jr., son of Thomas
Brigham (1), was born 111 Watertown, 1640. On the
second marriage of his mother to Edmund Rice he
seems to have lived at Marlborough in her house-
hold. At the age of twenty-one he struck out for
himself on a farm in Marlborough, bought of his
step-father for thirty pounds, including a town
right of twenty-four acres and a dwelling house. He
received his deed August 28, 1665. He was one of
a company that purchased six thousand acres of land
of the Indians in 1686 and annexed it to Marlbor-
ough. His home was on what is now or lately was
caled the Warren Brigham place in the southwest



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 108 of 133)