Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 114 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 114 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


(IV) Joshua Davis, son of Joseph Davis (3),
was born October 20, 1714. He married, October
24, 1739, Hannah Jaquith, of Wilmington, a town
near Reading. They settled in Billerica, where he
was deacon of the church. He was an active patriot
during the revolution. He was one of the con-
servators appointed by the town, January, 1775, "to
provide for the families of those persons who are
gone out of town into the Continental Army." In
1776 he was a member of the Billerica committee
of safety and correspondence. He died January
18, 1777; his widow August 8, 1800. Their children
were: Joshua, born July 15. 1740, died August, same
year; Hannah, born September 7, 1741, married John
Farmer ; Joshua, born October 25. 1743; Joseph, born
February 1, 1745-46; died March 30, 1750; Rebecca,



3 88



WORCESTER COUNTY



born August 21, 1748, died March 21, 1749-50; Jo-
seph, born March 25. 1751. died January 14, 1 777,
soldier in the revolution; Benjamin, born June 20,
1 753> soldier in the revolution; Timothy, born April
28, 1756, soldier m the revolution ; Jonathan, see
forward; William, born March 28, 1761.

(V) Jonathan Davis, son of Joshua Davis (4),
was born at Billerica, Massachusetts, February 13,
1758. He settled there near the Tewksbury line.
In 1776 he had the old Davis place on the Long
Pond road. Later he removed to Bolton, Massa-
chusetts, formerly Lancaster, but returned to Bil-
lerica and there died in 1800.

He is credited with service for the town of Med-
ford in the revolution in Captain Isaac Hall's com-
pany, Colonel Gardner's regiment, April 19, 1775.
Same regiment in Uctober, 1775, under Colonel Will-
iam Brooks and later under Lieutenant-Colonel
Caleb Brooks. Also in the Continental army in
1777 in Captain Abijah Child's company, Colonel
Greaton's regiment. He married Mary Chapman,
and their children were : Mary Davis, born Janu-
ary 3I> 1783; Martha Chapman, May 30, 1786; Abi-
gail, May 18, 1788; Jonathan, July II, 1790; Orpha,
July I, 1793; Susannah, March 26, 1795; George,
July 22, 1797, in Bolton.

(.VI) George Davis, son of Jonathan Davis (5),
was born in Bolton, Massachusetts, July 22, 1797.
He began life as a farmer in Westford. Massachu-
setts, an adjacent town. In 1846 he removed to
Sterling, Massachusetts, and bought the farm that
is at present owned and conducted by his son. He
was a member of the Unitarian church, a man of in-
tegrity and a citizen of sterling worth. He died
at Sterling at the age of sixty-four years, June 8,
1862. He married Sophia H. Whitcomb, daughter
of Rufus Whitcomb, a farmer. She was born in
Templeton, Massachusetts, and died in Sterling, aged
sixty-six years. Children of George and Sophia
Davis were: I. John A., born May 24, 1825. 2.
Jonathan, June 10. 1830. 3. Ophelia, October 27,
1834, married E. A. Lynde, and resides at Daven-
port, Iowa. 4. Andrew B., June 6, 1841. John died
at the age of twenty years; Andrew died in infancy.

(VII) Jonathan Davis, son of George Davis
(6), was born in Westford, Middlesex county,
Massachusetts, June 10, 1830. When he was six-
teen years old, his father removed to Sterling and
the family has since then lived there. In addition
to the usual common school training, he attended
the Lancaster high school and the academy at New
Ipswich, New Hampshire. He taught school in
Sterling, Leominster, Ashburnham and Phillipston
at various times until he was twenty-six years old,
when he bought a half interest in his father's farm.
After the death of his father he purchased his sis-
ter's share and has carried on the farm since in his
own name. Besides the homestead which contains
about seventy-five acres, he owns a large amount of
out-lying land. He has what is in many respects
the best farm in town, especially famous for its
dairy products, Mr. Davis is a dairy expert and
deals extensively in cows. He is also engaged in the
lumber business. On October 25, 1906, all the
buildings on Mr. Davis' farm were totally destroyed,
together with all his cattle, horses and pigs. Since
that date he has purchased the P. M'. Rugg farm,
close to his late residence, and will probably re-
build on the old site at a later date.

Mr. Davis is a Republican in politics and lias
always taken part in the administration of town af-
fairs. He has served on the board of selectmen
twenty years, all of the time as chairman. He has
been a member of the board of health twenty-live
years, and has been mad 1 n n r, overseer



of the poor, assessor, and member of the school'
committee. He is a member of the Farmers' Club
and of the Worcester East Agriculture Society. He
attends the Congregational Church, of which some
of the family are members. He was one of the
original trustees of the public library and largely
instrumental in its establishment. He was chair-
man of the committee when it was built and chair-
man of the committee when the house on the town
farm was built, also the high school house.

He married (first) 1856, Urania Ingalls, of Put-
ney, Vermont. She died in i860. He married (sec-
ond) Ellen Smith, of Athol, Massachusetts, daugh-
ter of Adin Smith, a brick manufacturer. She died
November 28, 1883. The only child of Jonathan and
Urania Davis was: Mary, born February 2. 1858,
married A. M. Wilder, now a grain dealer in Somer-
ville, Massachusetts. The children of Jonathan and
Ellen were: Louisa S., born June 10, 1864; Maria,
born September 22, 1866; George A., born July 5,
1868; Alice, born January 15, 1873; John A., born
July 5, 1877, married Maude Shattuck, and they have
one child, Jonathan, born October 7, 1905.

GOODNESS FAMILY. Anthony Olezeme La-
bonte (Goodness) (1), was born September 13, 1830.
in the little town of La Machich, in the province of
Quebec, Canada. He attended the public schools
of his native place, and the College of St. Anne for
two years. He learned the trade of shoemaker and
at the age of eighteen went to Troy, New York,
where he secured employment as a custom shoe
maker, and worked there for two years, when
he removed to Randolph, Massachusetts. At
that time the boot and shoe business was very pros-
perous at Milford, Massachusetts, and he went
there after working a short time at Randolph and
was employed first by Benjamin Godfrey, Mr. La-
in mte was a skillful workman. He remained in
Milford until the financial panic of 1857 crippled the
shoe industry in Milford as well as most lines of
business in the country. He went to Ogdensburg,
New York, and worked there until 1863, when he
returned to Massachusetts to work for Fairbanks &
Brown, boot and shoe manufacturers of Grafton.
After about a year he moved to Worcester and
worked a year for Charles E. Houghton. He re-
turned to Grafton to live but worked for some years
in Worcester. During his later years he had a cus-
tom shoe shop on his own account at Grafton,
making and repairing shoes and doing a thriving
business. He died in East Douglas, June 7, 1900.
Mr. Labonte changed his name to the English
equivalent. Goodness, soon after coming to the
States and all his family and descendants have fol-
lowed his example.

He married, 1856, Mary Le Marche, daughter of
Joseph and Catherine (Shortelle) Le Marche, of
Lowell, Massachusetts. Their children were: I.
Joseph Elezeme, born in Ogdensburg, New York.
2. Mary Delphine, born in Ogdensburg, married
Joseph Quintal, in East Douglas, and they have three
children — Harriet Elmo, born in East Dougla-.,
April 17. 1889, graduated with honors from the high
school, 1906; Frederick, born May 1, 1891, in East
Douglas; Joseph Olezeme, born in East Douglas,
June 7, 1898. 3. Amas Louis, born in Ogdensburg.
4. Frank Albert, born in Milford, Massachusetts,
resides at Newport News, Virginia, is married. 5.
Clemens Simmons, born in Milford, see forward.
6. Mary Ann. born in Grafton, married Henry Tetu,
of East Douglas, and they have three children —
Olizeme Henry Francis, born November 6. 1893, in
East Douglas : Winifred, born in Douglas, March
2, 1896 ' i'li Amas. born in Douglas, March 14,



WORCESTER COUNTY



389



iSgg. 7. Frederick, born in Douglas. 8. Cora
Olivine, born in Manchaug, Massachusetts, married
John Condon, of Douglas, July 4, 1896; he is a
butcher and has an extensive meat and provision
business of his own in Douglas.

(II) Clemons Simmons Goodness, son of An-
tony Olezeme Goodness (Labonte), was born in
Milford, Massachusetts. When he was five years
old he went to work in a mill in Webster, Massa-
chusetts. He didn't have a very important job,
needless to say. In fact, when he worked in the
Manchaug cotton mills, two years later, he was get-
ting only a dollar a week. He went from village to
village with his parents, until they settled perma-
nently in East Douglas. There he worked three
years in Hayward & Taft's woolen mill. After
this, with $300 that he had saved, he opened a pool
room in Whitinsville on his own account. This
business venture, which he entered upon at the age
of sixteen, was successful, and he sold out and went
back to East Douglas. In 1891 war threatened for
a time between the United States and Chile, on oc-
count of the killing of some citizens of the United
States in Valparaiso. Then it was that Clemons
had a desire to join the navy. This he did at
Charlestown navy yard, where he was assigned to the
receiving ship "Wabash" and subsequently to the
receiving ship "Vermont." November 17, 1901, he
was transferred to the United States cruiser "Ben-
nington," on which he went to sea for the first time.
On this boat he sailed to many points in South and
Central America, and also to the countries along the
north shore of the Mediterranean. He served the
regular three years' term and then re-enlisted for
a second term. Shipmates of his begged him to re-
enlist for a third term, when the six years were
over. He might have done so had he not been pos-
sessed at the time of a desire to go to the Klondike
in search of gold. He was urged by friends and
.by Lieutenant Jenkins to ship with them on the
United States cruiser "Maine," which was blown
up in Havana harbor, February 15, 1898, and on
which many of his comrades were killed. One
reason why he would not do as they urged was
that he thought the "Maine" a hoodoo ship. The
stronger reason was that his heart was set upon try-
ing his luck in the Klondike, where gold had been
lately discovered. He stayed fourteen months in
the gold fields. He was among the first to buy land
on what is now the site of the prosperous city of
Bremerton, Washington State. He left the Klon-
dike when he heard that the "Maine" had been de-
stroyed in Havana harbor, and that, as a result,
the United States was likely to go to war with
-Spain. As soon as he got the news he hurried away
from the interior, alone, and went to Seattle, whence
he came east. By the time he arrived in the United
States the war with Spain was practically over, but
there were new territories to be pacified. Clemons
enlisted in the navy for the third time, September
.23, 1898, and served until March 8, 1901, when he
received a discharge for disability.

On returning to East Douglas, at this time, he
•opened a newsdealer's store on Main street in that
village, where he is now doing a good business. He
ieeps memories of experience in all corners of the
earth. He has a large collection of souvenirs, which
he gathered wherever he visited. He witnessed
the ceremony at Honolulu, when the American flag
was first raised over the Hawaiian Islands. He was
present at the Foochow massacre, in the war be-
tween Japan and China, in 1894. Besides observing
people and their customs, he has been attentive to
art, in this fostering a natural taste. From his
boyhood he has had the gift of painting, doing work



in ml on canvas, shells, and many other materials.
He took art lessons in Italy, and would be painting
now if his right hand were not partly paralyzed.

STOWELL FAMILY. Samuel Stowell (1), the
immigrant ancestor of about all of this surname
in this country, was doubtless born in England,
about 1620. He was mentioned in the famous Hobart
diary as living in Hingham, Massachusetts, as early
as 1649, and was then a proprietor of that town.
He married, October 25, 1649, at Highham, Mary
Farrow, daughter of John and Frances Farrow.
He died November 9, 1683, and she married (sec-
ond), October 10, 1689, Joshua Beal, a widower.
The will of Samuel Stowell was dated October 27,
1683, and was proved June 30, 1683-84. The ap-
praisers were John Marsh and Thomas Lincoln.
The inventory showed property valued at one hun-
dred and eighty-five pounds, one shilling, two pence.
His homestead was on Fort Hill street. Children
of Samuel and Mary Stowell : Mary, born October
16, 1653, married, February 25, 1682-83, John Garnet;
Samuel, Jr., born July 8, 1655, resided at Hing-
ham; John, born March 15, 1657-58, resided in
Hingham; David, born April 8, 1660, see forward;
Remember, born April 22, 1662, married, March 16,
1687-88, Thomas Remington; child, born September
5. 1664, died September 21 following; William, born
January 23, 1665-66; Israel, born April 27, 1668,
died November 15, 1669; Israel, born August 10,
1670, settled in Newton, where she died 1718; he
died 1725, aged fifty-five years; weaver by trade;
Elizabeth, born June 7, 1673, married, December
14, 1699, George Lane; Benjamin, born June 3 or 8,
1676, resided in Hingham.

(II) David Stowell, son of Samuel Stowell (1),
was born in Hingham, Massachusetts, April, 1660.
He married there, December 4, 1684, and removed
to Cambridge. Massachusetts, where he married
(second), April 7, 1695, Mary Stedman. She died
September 27, 1724. He afterwards settled in New-
ton, Massachusetts, where he was known as "Old
Stowell" and where he died. The children: David,

Jr.. married Elizabeth ; married (second)

Patience ; he died at Newton, October 1 or 21,

1724; Benjamin, died at Newton, November 29,
1729, unmarried; Samuel, clothier, resided at Water-
town; died 1748; father of Cornelius Stowell, of

Worcester: Ruth, married Osborne; John, see

forward ; Marv. married King.

(III) John" Stowell, son of David Stowell (2),
was born probably in Watertown, where his father
lived, about 1690. He married, November I, 1722,
Mrs. Sarah Ford, of Weymouth. (The Mrs._ was
used for maidens as well as widows at that time.)
He settled in Watertown and was constable there
in 1637. He lived at Newton earlier and bought
land on the 'Boston road at Newton of Obadiah
Coolidge, March 5, 1718-19. He removed to Water-
town after 1723. Apparently he hesitated between
Sturbridge and Worcester about 1740. John Stowell,
of Watertown, sold land at Sturbridge. December
2. 1742, to Amos Shumway. John Stowell. of
Watertown, sold land in Sturbridge to John Rion
(Ryan), of Sturbridge, October 26, 174^- In x 744
he was of Worcester, and sold more land at Stur-
bridge to his son-in-law, David Curtis, of Sturbridge,
November 26, 1744. He bought his first land in
Worcester in 1743 of Abisha Rice, who inherited it
from Thomas Rice. He mortgaged land to Eliza-
beth Dudley, widow of William Dudley, January
28, 1746, part of his Worcester property. He mort-
gaged land to John Chandler, April 13, 1754, at
Worcester. Another deed or mortgage to John
Chandler is dated at Worcester, July 23, 1757. The



39°



WORCESTER COUNTY



homestead at Worcester was deeded to his son
Benjamin, who contracted to support and care for
his father the remaindei i i his life in return for
the property, July 18, 1 75<>. John Stowcll and
Thomas Rice joined in a deed of ninety acres of
land which they bought of John Barber, November
28, 1752. The land was in Worcester and was sold
to Francis Cutting, of Shrewsbury. John Stowcll
was of Worcester when he died in 1762, and his
eldest son John, Jr. of Petersham, was adminis-
trator of the estate. The inventory was made by
Nathaniel Moore, Cornelius Stowell and Nathan
Perry, December 3, 17(12. As he had given away
most of his property, the estate was small.

Children of John and Sarah, all born at Water-
town except the eldest, were : Sarah, born at New-
ton, August 14, 1723, married at Sturbridge, 1744.
David Curtis; bought land at Sturbridge, but re-
moved to Petersham, where their four youngest
children, Priscilla, Thomas, Eunice and Prudence
Curtis, were born; John (not given by Bond), born
1726, see forward ; James, born and died at Water-
town. July, 1728; Benjamin, born .May 4. 1730. mar-
ried at Worcester, October 23, 1755, Elizabeth
Parker, and had the homestead at Worcester ;
Hezekiah, born December 25, 1732, married Persis
Rice and had Levi, at Worcester, January 8, 1759;
Elijah, at Petersham, February 2, 1764, and Persis,
at Petersham, April 2, 1766; Jerusha, born Febru-
ary 1, 1734-35; Jemima, baptized March 6, 1736-37;
David, baptized April 6, 1740.

(IV) John Stowell, Jr., son of John Stowell
^3), was born probably in Watertown, in 1726. He
died at Petersham, Massachusetts, where he settled
early in life, aged sixty-five years, April 5, 1791.
He was one of the leading patriots of the town of
Petersham before and during the revolution. He
was on the committee of safety and correspondence
in 1773 with Sylvanus How, Colonel Ephraim Doo-
little, Johnathan Grout, Samuel Dennis, Daniel
Miles, Captain Elisha Ward, Theophilus Chandler
and Deacon William Willard. This committee, with
the assistance of Josiah Quincy, Jr., prepared a re-
ply to a circular letter from the Boston commit-
tee of correspondence, a series of resolutions rela-
tive to the conditions of the colonies and a series
of instructions to their representatives in the gen-
eral court. When the war came John Stowell was
a private in Captain John Wheeler's company.
Colonel Ephraim Doolittle's regiment. John Stowell
was at Petersham before the name was adopted.
He bought land there when it was called Nichewaug,
May 8, 1753. and sold October 24, 1753, to Samuel
Belknap, of Woburn. (This was the south end of
lot No 53 originally Joshua Hutchinson's.) He
bought land of John Sawyer at Petersham, January
19, 1758, and again in 1762 of Daniel Fiske in
Petersham. He bought land of Edward Goddard, of
Shrewsbury, on the we-t side of Mill brook, June
22, 1768. In 1781) lie deeded land to his son Lemuel
and to his son John. He had already given land to
his son Joab. The widow of John Stowell. Sarah
Stowell, died June 23, 1830, aged ninety-nine years
and nine months.

Their children: I. Sarah, married (intentions
August 13, 1774) Joel Bigelow. 2. Molly, married
(intentions December 7, 1776) Jesse Dimick, of
Guilford. Connecticut. 3. John. Jr., married Lois

and had s ix children — John, born December

26, 1781, married, 1812, Polly Sanderson, of Shutes-
bury; Sarah, born September 27, 1783; Lucy, born
May 24, 1786; Henry, born June 27. 1788; Luther,
born January 5, 1793; Jesse, born March 12, 1795.
4. Abel, born 1769, died January 27, 181 1, see for-
ward. 5. Asahel, born 1771, died June 2, 1840, aged



sixty-nine years; married Persis



and they



had seven children at Petersham : Betsey or Eliza,
born April 24, 1797, married, January 1, 1822, Royal
Bosworth ; John Ward, born May 11, 1799, died
1840; Daniel, born September 12, 1803, married, 1831,
Pamelia D. Miles, of Lancaster; Cylindia, born Au-
gust 27, 1S05, married, May 30, 1844, Levi Russell,
of Hadley; Horace, born November 21, 1807; Fanny,
born April 1, 1812; Avery Williams, born March 21,
1814. 6. Lemuel, died 1807 ; married Prudence
Gould, 1787. at Leverett, and had two children —
Dexter, born May 29, 1789, married, 1814, Achsah
Crocker ; Polly, born December 17, 1795, married,
February 16, 1815, Charlts Cooley. 7. Samuel, born
1762, died April 11, 1807, aged forty-four years. 8>
Joab, died 1812; gave quitclaim deed of his share
in his father's estate, February 25, 181 1; married.
(intentions May 20, 1776) Lydia Hunt, of Green-
wich, Massachusetts, and had three children — Joab,
Jr., born February 21, 1782; Lydia, born February
14, 1789, married, December 9, 1813, Abiathar
Blanchard ; Ira, born February 22, 1797.

(V) Abel Stowell, son of John Stowell (4),
was born in Petersham, Massachusetts, 1769, died,
there January 27, 181 1, aged forty-two years. He
married Rachel Freeman (intentions dated June 7,.
1792, daughter of Eli and Mary Freeman, of Hard-
wick. She died February 7, 1847, aged seventy-
four years, four months and twenty-eight days. He
bought the rights of Asahel, his brother, in 181 1 ;
of Prudence, his sister, in 1808; of John, Jr., in
1805, their share in the estate of their father, John
Stowell. His children: Horace, born 1798, died at
Petersham. September 30, 1803, aged five years, five
months and nineteen days ; Abel, Jr., born 1806, died
July 21, 1807, aged one year and twenty-three days;
Clarissa, mentioned in will, married, March 5, 1816,.
Simon Dudley ; Rufus, see forward ; Anna, men-
tioned in will as well as the following: Sally;
Polly ; Abel, Jr. The last named six had guardians-
appointed, being under fourteen years of age, in
1812.

(VI) Captain Rufus Stowell, son of Abel Sto-
well (5). was born in Petersham, Massachusetts, in
1796, died there October 12, 1843, aged forty-seven
years. He was a farmer. He was active in public:
affairs and held a commission as captain of the
Petersham militia company. He married, May 24,
1827, Anna Allen, daughter of Samuel and Anna
Allen, of Barre, Massachusetts. She married (sec-
ond), April 15, 1846, Captain Lewis McXear. Chil-
dren of Captain Rufus and Anna Stowell : Henry
Rufus, see forward; Mary E., died at the age of
eighteen years; Emery Austin, reddes in Tully ; is

-'Kited with his brother in the woodenwar.e
business.

(VII) Henry Rufus Stowell, son of Captain
Rufu- Stowell (('i. was born in Petersham, Massa-
chusetts, June 19, 1832. He attended the district
schools of his native town and when not in school
worked on the farm of his father. At the age of
sixteen years, he left home with a pack on his back
and went to North Amherst, Massachusetts, where
he hired out on a farm for a season. The following
year he did farm work in Deerfield. Massachusetts.
Then he secured a position as foreman of a mattress
factory in Greenfield, which he held until he was
twenty years old. He possessed unusual mechanical
ability and, observing the needs of the mattress-
making business, he invented some valuable ma-
chinery for mattress manufacturing. He made some
of the machines that he had invented for a concern
at Lafayette, Indiana. Mr. Stowell next went to
Quincy, Illinois, where he was engaged to erect
machinery in a cotton factory. He became a partner



WORCESTER COUNTY



39*



in the business, but after two .years was forced by
a severe attack of malarial fever to retire. He re-
turned to Massachusetts, and soon started in the
grocery business at Greenfield. Next he entered
the woodenware factory of his wife's uncle, Joseph
Pierce, at Tully, Massachusetts, under a contract to
work two years and learn the business from top
to bottom on a salary of a dollar a day. In a few
years he was admitted to partnership and the firm
name became Pierce & Stowell. The business pros-
pered until 1857 when the financial panic took all
his savings. However, he was not discouraged and
was soon on his feet. Again he lost all his
property by fire, but his credit remained good
and he was able to resume business and was
soon making money. For many years the firm was
Pierce & Stowell, then he continued under his own
name until he removed to Athol village. He then
admitted to partnership Frank C. Warrick, and the
firm name has since been Stowell & Warrick. Mr.
Warrick has for some years had charge of the de-
tails of the business.

On his fiftieth birthday he removed to his ;
ent residence on the beautiful eminence midway be-
tween the two villages of Athol and Athol Center,
commanding a magnificent view of the valley. Here
he expended many thousand dollars in improving
the grounds. His home was the scene of a sensa-
tional burglary on Thanksgiving night in 1889. He
had a safe in the sitting room, containing securities
to the value of nearly fifty thousand dollars, all of
which were stolen. To trace the burglars, secure
their conviction and recover the property, was the
work of thirteen months for Mr. Stowell and
doubtless the most trying period of his eventful
life.

In 1862, in response to a call from President
Lincoln for volunteers, when the quota of Athol
lacked eight men, Mr. Stowell, his foreman and
four of his men enlisted, and his mill was closed for



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 114 of 133)