Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 129 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 129 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


which was then a very profitable industry, as modern
machinery had not then been introduced. In 1870
he became a partner at Athol with his uncle, Ozi
Kendall, in the manufacturing of boots and shoes;
the firm was known as O. Kendall & Co. In 1876
the company bought out the interest held by George
N. Kendall, continuing until 1884, with George S.
Pond, running under the old firm name until 1887,
when they retired from the business. Ira Y; Ken-
dall then engaged in the lumber trade, continuing
up to 1903. For about six years he was connected
with the lumbering interests of the firm of L.
Morse & Son. Mr. Kendall is pre-eminently
of the type of citizen whose name stands
for progress, and who has given freely of
his time, talent and means in the advancement of
any and all interests that would conduce to the
substantial development of his native town. Po-
litically he is a Republican, and in 1887-88 was one
of the selectmen and also overseer of the poor. In
1888-89 he was road commissioner, and for a num-
ber of years on the Republican town committee. In
1881 he represented Athol and Royalston as a mem-
ber of the legislature, serving on the committee on
elections. During the civil war he was one of the
committee for raising funds for the volunteers. He
is prominently connected with the Evangelical Con-
gregational Church, having been a deacon since
1879. He was a teacher of one class in the Sunday
school for over thirty year-
Mr. Kendall married Ettie Thomas, of Brandon,
Vermont, September 6, 1855 ; she was born in Bran-
don, March 5, 1S34, daughter of Zebina and Polly
(Holmes) Thomas. The children born to tin 111
are: Rollin G., born at Athol, September 11. E857,
died of scarlet fever, February 15. 1870; Warren
H., born at Athol, August 15. 1K71, died April 1,
1890; he was a young man of much promise and
died while a student at dishing Academy, at Ash-
burnham.

WILLIAM D. SMITH. Frank W. Smith
father of William D. Smith, the silverware manu-
facturer of Gardner, Massachusetts, was born in
Thornton, New Hampshire, March 14, 1848, son of
Dr. William A. and Susan F. (Durgin) Smith, of
Campton, New Hampshire. Frank W. Smith re-
ceived his education in the public schools. Before



he was of age he entered the silverwan bu
the office of his uncle, William I!. Durgin, a manu-
facturer at Concord, New Hampshire, lie v.
ciated with his uncle 111 various po itio until he
removed to Gardner 111 [886. He selected that town
for the location of his silverware factory, which he
erected on Chestnut street. He began to manufacture
goods in 1887 with seven employees. The original
factory was forty by sixty feet, three stones and
basement. Business rapidly grew to the capacity of
this factory, and in 1892 it was doubled in size. The
factory was equipped with the latest machinery, and
the name of Mr. Smith became a synonym for
artistic sterling silver goods: He not only had his
building designed to meet the requirements of his
trade and filled it with costly and delicate machinery,
but he took special care to have the expert silver-
smiths for the hand work required on the products
of the concern. Mr. Smith was very successful 111
his business, which he continued until the last year
of his life, and his shop became one of the standard
industries of the town. Mr. Smith was a Repub-
lican in politics, but never active in town affairs.
He was a member of the Congregational Church at
Gardner. He was a prominent Free Mason, having
taken the Templar degree, and was past com-
mander of Ivanhoe Commandery, Knights Templar,
No. 46. He was a director of the First National
Bank of Gardner and trustee of the Gardner Sav-
ings Bank.

He married (first) Eliza Parker, daughter of Dr.
David Parker, of Gardner. They had one child,
William D., of whom further mention is made. He
married (second) Frances S. Hey wood, of Gard-
ner, daughter of Seth Hey wood. (See Hey wood
family). They had a son, Frank H., born June 24,
1889. Frank W. Smith suffered for two years
with heart disease. He died August 2, 1904.

William D. Smith, son of Frank W. Smith, was
born at Concord, New Hampshire, December iS,
1876. He attended school in his native town and
in Gardner, whither he moved with his parents when
he was nine years old. From the Gardner high
school he went to Phillips Academy, Andover,
Massachusetts, where he prepared for college. He
was graduated at Harvard University with honors
in 1899. He then became associated with his father
in the silver manufacturing business. During his
father's last illness the management of the business
fell to him, and since his father's death he has be-
come the proprietor of the silverware business. Un-
der his management the works have continued to
prosper. The Smith silverware stands among the
best made in this country, and the works are among
the largest and best known. In politics Mr. Smth
is a Republican. He is a member of Gardner Lodge
of Free Masons. He succeeded his father as di-
rector of the First National Bank of Gardner, lie
attends the Gardner Congregational Church.

Mr. Smith married, April 24, 1901, Emily W.
Ballard, daughter of Howard and Mary (Heywood)
Ballard, of Gardner. Their children are: Janet,
born January 8, 1902; Parker, July 15, 1903; Eleanor,
January 17, 1906.

BIEBERBACH FAMILY. (1). George Bieher-
bach, son of Melchior Biebcrbach, the youngest of
ten children, was born April 24. 1X24. in Uffenheim,
Bavaria, and died in Worcester, Massachusetts,
September 29, 1900. When lie was graduated from
the public schools of Uffenheim his father, who
was a carpenter by trade, apprenticed him to a
cooper with a view of making linn a brewer event-
ually. As an apprentice he had to work after the
custom of his times from five in the morning to



440



WORCESTER COUNTY



seven at night. He then learned the brewer's trade
in the same way and became an expert. On cumins
of aye he entered military service in the Second
Bavarian Artillery. lie improved his time during
furloughs in studying chemistry under Julius Von
Liebig, famous for the discovery of the process of
making vegetable and meat extracts. Mr. Beiber-
bach subsequently went to Frankfort-on-the-Main,
wlure he b came engaged to marry Marguerite
Onacker, the daughter atoms house officer

there. Becoming involved in political troubles of
the time in 1849 and 1850 he was accused of con-
spiracy and proscribed. He was on a list of twenty-
two who were to be shot if caught. But he was
warned of the danger by a friendly customs house
officer and made his escape with the aid of friends,
lie was closely pursued but got over the line into
France. Thence he crossed to Holland and remained
some weeks until his fiancee could join him. As
somi as she came they were married and started
for America.

He had no difficulty in securing employment in
American breweries, for he came at a time when
German brewers were in demand in every brewery.
His first employment was with the F. & M. Schaffer
Brewing Company of New York and thence he went
to Boston to work for John Roessle as his head
brewer. It was in Boston that Mr. Bieberbach
brewed the first lager beer brewed in New England.
His knowledge of chemistry enabled him to succeed
in brewing lager in the summer months as well as
in winter, then considered a great feat by brewers.
The difference between lager and ordinary ale was
caused, as explained by Mr. Bieberbach, by the
difference in time during which the beer was allowed
to ferment. Ordinary ale is made by quick fer-
mentation, the process being complete in four days.
Lager is aljowed to ferment slowly for a period of
from sixteen to twenty-four days, requiring storage
in a cool place, the word lager meaning in German
this process of storage, etc.

Air. Bieberbach came to Worcester in 1867. He
leased and for several years kept the old Interna-
tional Hotel on Front street, where the Warren
block now stands. In [882 he removed to Summer
street and engaged in the wholesale liquor business,
in which he was quite successful financially. He
was also interested in the Worcester Brewing Com-
pany, having been a director and president of the
corporation. Some time before his death he with-
drew both from the brewery and the liquor busi-
ness. He sold his business to his sons and his
son-in-law and they have since that time conducted
the business under the name of Bieberbach Bros. &
Co., at 113 Summer street. They also manufacture
soda water extensively in addition to their wholesale
and retail liquor trade. Mr. Bieberbach had an
office at the store for some time after he sold out.

Mr. Bieberbach's knowledge of English language
was acquired by self-education. He spoke no word
of the language when he came to America at the age
of twenty-eight. In a few years he became an om-
nivorous reader in English and commanded a large
vocabulary. The latter days of his life were spent
in rest and contentment. He enjoyed the comforts
of his home and found his greatest happiness in the
company of his children and grandchildren. He
was a man of ready sympathies and genial tempera-
ment and during his life in Worcester made a host
of friends.

The child of George and Marguerite (Onackerj
Bieberbach was: George, married Cecelia Daniels.
of Lancaster, Massachusetts. He died December 5,
1903, at the age of fifty-one years. The children of
George and Cecelia Bieberbach were: George, a



student: Walter D., a Worcester physician; Cecilia
1„ a Worcester school teacher. George Bieberbach

ied (second) Rasena Rose; she died in 1884;
she had three children: 1. Richard, married Isabel
Eidt, of Worcester; they have six children. 2. John
' re, a member of the firm of Bieberbach Bros.

& I . was born in Roxbury, Massachusetts, now
Boston, March 20, 1855. He was educated in the
Wi ireester public schools. He went into business with
his father and has been engaged in the business
ever since. He is a Free Mason, an Odd Fellow and
belongs to the Knights of Pythias, Frohsinns and
Turn Verein. He is unmarried. 3. Elizabeth, mar-

1 >eorge E. Sandner, of Worcester, who is a
member of the firm of Bieberbach Bros. & Co.



ROSWELL A. SMITH. Nehemiah Smith, im-
migrant ancestor of Roswell A. Smith, of Grafton,
Massachusetts, was born in England, in 1605, and
settled in Plymouth. Massachusetts, before March
6, 1637-38, when he applied for admission as free-
man. He must have been a member of the church
there. He married, January 21, 1639-40, Anne
Bourne, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Bourne.
In 1040 he was on a committee to partition land
among the proprietors of Marshfield. From there
he went to Stratford, Connecticut, as early as 1644,
and later to New Haven. In 1651 he was living
across Long Island sound on Long Island, but he
returned and settled at Pequot, where August 29,
1652, he had a grant of eight acres of land. The
famous old Smith homestead across the river at
Smith Lake in Groton was originally twenty acres,
granted December 27, 1652, and he began to live
there about 1655. He was also one of the original pro-
prietors of the town of Norwich, Connecticut, and
was at one time the largest land-holder there. He
died, 1686, aged eighty-one years; his wife died
January 12, 1684, aged seventy. Their children :
Sarah, born about 1642 ; Mary, born about 1642,
married Samuel Raymond; Hannah, born 1644;
Mercy, born about 1645 ; Elizabeth, born about 1645,
married Deacon Joshua Raymond ; Nehemiah, born
1646, see forward; Lydia. born 1647; Ann (perhaps
same as Sarah and named Saranne after her mother,
whose name appears as Sarah and Ann) ; Mehitable.

(II) Nehemiah Smith, son of Nehemiah Smith
(1). was born at New Haven, Connecticut, 1646,
and was baptized by Rev. John Davenport, the
famous pioneer minister. He moved with his father
to Poquonoc farm, adjoining Smith Lake. When
he was only seventeen he began to carry on the
farm in Groton. and his father was living at Nor-
wich. He became a leading citizen, was selectman,
member of the general assembly in 1669, 1705-07-
16, was a freeman before 1708, member of the First
Church of Stonington, sergeant of the military
company in 1694 and on committees to fix the
boundaries of various towns where disputes had
arisen. He was the second town clerk of Groton,
from 1707 to 1718. He received a bounty in 1673
for killing five wolves, evidently something of a
huntsman. He married, October 24, 1669, Lydia
Winchester, daughter of Alexander Winchester, of
Roxbury, Massachusetts. His wife died October 24,
1723, in his seventy-eighth year. He married (sec-
ond) Elizabeth Haynes, widow. He died August
8, 1727, in his eighty-first year, and was buried in
the Poquonoc graveyard at Groton, whence his re-
mains were removed to Smith Lake cemetery in
1888. Their children: Lydia, born October 29,
1670; Nehemiah, born November 14, 1673, see for-
ward; Martha, born October 15, 1678; Daniel, born
November 29, 1680; Margaret, baptized 1683; Jo-



WORCESTER COUNTY



441



seph, baptized November 7, 1686, at the Stonington
church.

(III) Nehemiah Smith, son of Nehemiah Smith
{2), was born November 14, 1673, at Poquonoc, on
the Smith homestead, Groton, Connecticut. He
married, April 22, 1696, Dorothy Wheeler, daughter
of Isaac and Martha (Park) Wheeler, and grand-
daughter of Thomas and Mary Wheeler. He joined
the first church at New London. He was an honest
and highly respected farmer. He lived on the home-
stead and also had land at Nowayanck. His will
was proved in 1724. He died November 21, 1724.
leaving an estate inventoried at over sixteen hun-
dred and forty-eight pounds. His wife Dorothy
was born December 6, 1679, died May 25, 1736, and
was buried at Poquonoc, and re-interred in 1888
in the Smith Lake cemetery. His children : Dorothy.
born August 26, 1697, died January 4, 1697-98;
Hannah, born February 20, 1699; Elizabeth, born
November 17, 1700; Nathan, born September 16,
1702; John, born June 14, 1704, see forward; Will-
iam, born May 10, 1706, married twice ; Isaac, born
December 29, 1707; Maty, born November 16,
1709; Lydia, born January 24, 1712-13; Jabez, born
February 7, 1714; Anna, born November 1, 1717;
Sarah, born July 14, 1719.

(IV) John Smith, son of Nehemiah Smith (3),
"was born at the Smith homestead in Groton, June
14, 1704. He married, May 10, 1727, (by Rev. Eben-
ezer Rosseter) Temperance Holmes, of Stonington,
-daughter of Joshua and Fear (Sturges) Holmes, and
great-granddaughter of Robert Holmes, of Stoning-
ton. He resided in Groton, where his first five
children were born. He removed to Colchester in
1736 and had seven more. He joined the Colchester
church November 19, 1738. He was captain of the
Trainband in 1749. He was a well-to-do farmer. He
-died December 22, 1758, and was buried in the old
Poquonoc graveyard. His estate inventoried at over
three thousand one hundred pounds. His widow
married James Treadway, of Colchester, December
10, 1761. The children of John and Temperance
Smith were: John, born March 26, 172S, died Au-
gust 17, 1752; Joshua, born January 31, 1729, mar-
ried Elizabeth Pomeroy, January II, 1750; Shubael,
"born September 27, 1731, died May 19, 1736; Nehe-
miah, born October 30, 1733; David, born December
i°. 1/35. died young; Shubael, born December 7,
1732, married Hannah Waterman; Caleb, born Jan-
nary 4, 1739, died December 22, 1740; Roswell, born
February 19, 1741-42, see forward; David, born
July 20, 1744; Temperance, born December 7, 1746;
Charles, born March 9, 1749; Olive, born February
12, 1753, married James Tredway, Jr.

(V) Roswell Smith, son of John Smith (4),
was born in Colchester, Connecticut, February 19,
1741-42, married Abigail Holmes, of Stonington,
March 11, 1762. She was born October 18, 1741,
daughter of- Joshua and Mary (Richardson) Holmes,
and niece of Temperance Holmes, mother of Roswell
Smith. They resided at Stonington or Groton. Only

• one child is known, Roswell, born November 24,
1778, see forward.

(VI) Roswell Smith, Jr., son of Roswell Smith
(5), was born at Stonington, Connecticut, November
24, 1778. He had a son Osmuss, see forward.

(VII) Osmuss (or Orsmus) Smith, son of Ros-
well Smith (6), was born probably at Stonington,
perhaps Groton, about 1800. He was a blacksmith
iy trade. He married Clarissa Davis.

(I) John Davis, immigrant ancestor of Clarissa
(Davis) Smith, was born in England in 1612, set-
tled in Easthampton, Long Island, where his wife
■died December 17, 1696, and he died December 22,
1705, aged ninety-three years. Four children came



over with them: John, born 1677, married Susannah
Osborn; (second) Sarah Reeves, widow of Abra-
ham; Hannah, born about 1680, married, January
6, 1701, Jonathan Baker; Thomas, see forward;
Maryette, baptized, an adult, 1704.

(II) Thomas Davis, son of John Davis (1),
wa born in 1686, married, January 11, 1722, and
had John, see forward; Abigail, born at Easthamp-
ton, April 26, 1725, married Daniel Conklin, of East-
hampton, December, 1746.

(III) John Davis, son of Thomas Davis (2),
was born at Easthampton, March 4, 1723, was a tan-
ner and shoe maker, in 1765 removed to Stonington
on the east bank of the Powcatuck, near Osbrook,
and bought a farm, the old mansion of which is
still standing, with its spacious fireplace in the
dining room, its solid mahogany staircase with hand
carving, and still owned by his descendants. John
Davis returned to Easthampton in April, 1784, to
have his children educated at Clinton Academy. He
was a cordwainer by trade. He married (first) De-
cember 31, 1744, Catharine Talmage, who died April
II, 1759. He married (second) Mary Conklin, of
Easthampton. After he died, December 15, 1798,
she returned to live (at Preston, Connecticut) with
his son John Davis, whose wife, Mary Conklin, was
her niece. She died January 18, 1814, in her eight-
ieth year. The children of the first marriage: Cath-
arine, born at Easthampton, March 13, 1746; John,
born January 20, 1748, married Abigail Baker ;
Benjamin, born January 4, 1750, died young;
Thomas, born November 27, 1751, married Mary
Conklin, mentioned below; Benjamin, born May 15,
1754, died young; Enos, born October 14, 1755, mar-
ried Phebe Mulford and Mrs. Lois Perkins ; Cath-
erine, born April 5, 1758, married Captain Amos
Pendleton. Jr. ; Abigail, born April 5, 1758, died
young. The children of John and Mary : Mary,
born April 27, 1763, died unmarried April 6, 1852;
Dr. Samuel, born October 7, 1765, married Mrs.
Mary Dunham; Abigail, born January 15, 1767, mar-
ried John Stratton ; Rev. Henry, born September
IS, I77 1 , married Hannah Treadwell ; Benjamin,
born February 6, 1774, married Abigail Foster.

(IV) Thomas Davis, son of John Davis (3),
was born at Easthampton, Long Island, November
2 7> l 75 l , married, Decerriber 25, 1780, Mary Conk-
lin. They resided in Stonington until the spring of
1802, when, with his brother Enos, he bought the
Jonathan Brewster farm on the left bank of the
Thames river, two miles below Chelsea Landing,
now Norwich City. Thomas had the north half
of the farm. He made leather and shoes besides
his fanning. He died January 23, 1831, aged nearly
eighty years. Their children, born at Stonington,
were: Thomas, born September 21, 1781, married
Mary Shaw; Mary, born July 12, 1784; Henry, born
August 26, 1788; Dudley, born March 18, 1795;
Julia, born August 26, 1797; Clarissa, born March
29, 1803, married Orsmus Smith, mentioned above.

The child of Orsmus and Clarissa (Davis) Smith:
Roswell A., see forward.

(VIII) Roswell A. Smith, son of Orsmus
Smith (7), was born in Stonington, Connecticut,
February, 1828. He received a common school edu-
cation, going to work when a young boy, first at
farming, like most boys of his day, then leaving
home, he was employed in a livery stable for a few
years at Providence, Rhode Island. After that he
was employed by John White, livery stable proprie-
tor of Grafton, Massachusetts. From 1859 to 1861
he drove the stage from Farnumsville to North
Grafton railroad station. Then he bought the stage
line from Grafton to the railroad station at North
Grafton, in 1861, and conducted it with profit until



442



WORCESTER COUNTY



the "dummy" railroad was built. He gave _ up the
stage line and in 1872 bought out the ice business of
Austin Whitney at Grafton and has carried it on
to the present time with uniform success. In
addition to the ice business he has conducted his
farm in Grafton. He is one of the best known and
oldest business men of the vicinity, and one of the
most highly esteemed. For thirty years he sang in
the choir of the Unitarian Church of which he is a
member. In politics he is a life-long Republican.

Ik- married, February 16, 1863, at Grafton, Har-
riet Adelia Wood, daughter of Lyman and Sarah
(Nicholls) Wood, of New Hampshire. Her father
was a native of Dudley, Massachusetts, a shoe-
maker by trade. Their children: Carrie Estella,
born April 9, 1864, died June 19, 1881 ; Walter
Everett, born August 6, 1865, resides in Grafton,
shipping clerk for Ross Brothers, seedsmen, Wor-
cester, graduate of the high school at Grafton ; mar-
ried Charlotte Garfield, of Shrewsbury, and has one
son, Leon, born August 14, 1896. Atwood Brayton,
born July 28, 1871, associated with his father in the
ice business and resides in one-half the homestead,
Grafton ; married Carrie Estabrook, daughter of
Edward Estabrook, Grafton ; children — Raymond,
born September 9, 1894; Clayton, born November
6, 1896; Marion, born May 29, 1900; Ruth, born
April 10, 1905. Avery, born September 14, 1886,
graduate of Grafton high school, 1904, class of
1908, Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

WILLIAM C. BREWER. Thomas Brewer,
father of William C. Brewer, of Grafton,
Massachusetts, was born about 1801, in Lancashire,
England. He received a good education, and having
learned the trade of shoemaker became a manu-
facturer according to the simple methods in vogue
in his day, when shoes were made entirely by hand
work. In 1848 he removed to America with his
wife and children. They settled in Grafton, where
for thirty years he carried on the manufacture of
shoes. He died in Northbridge, the town adjoining
Grafton, July 19, 1878. He married, in England,
Martha Kerfoot. Their children were : Mary E.
Loynd, Joshua, who settled in Taunton, Massachu-
setts; Thomas H., who resides in Grafton; Edward,

of Grafton ; Alice, married" Flanigan ; William

C, see forward.

William C. Brewer, son of Thomas Brewer, was
born in Lancashire, England, July 28, 1831. He
was educated there and learned the shoemaker's
trade under his father. He came to this country in
1848 with his parents and worked with his father
in the manufacture of shoes until the death of the
latter. He left the shoe manufacturing to engage in
farming. He bought a farm on the outskirts of
Grafton Centre and has one of the most productive
and profitable farms in that section. Under what
are regarded as difficult conditions he has been
successful in farming in old Massachusetts. In
politics he is a Republican, and in religion a Con-
gregationalism He is a Free Mason, a member of
Grafton Lodge.

He married, 1856, Sarah Hirst, daughter of
David Hirst. She was born in England and came
to this country when eleven years old. The family
settled in Whitinsville, where she was living at the
time of her marriage. Children of William C. and
Sarah Brewer were: Infant, deceased; Harriet,
deceased.

MELVIN G. OVERLOCK, M. D., is descended
from an old state of Maine family living in Knox
county. He was born in Appleton, Maine, August
24, 1864. He received an excellent preparatory edu-



cation in the public schools of his native town.
After taking the complete course at the high school
at Union, Maine, where he graduated with honors-
in the class of 1887, he entered the State Normal
school at Castine, Maine, where he studied for three
years, at the same time teaching mathematics in the
public schools in order to pay his expenses while at-
tending the Normal school. In 1890 he determined-
to study medicine. He began privately under the
instruction of Dr. J. B. Rich, late of Worcester.
While pursuing this course he supported himself by
his own labor, studying at night. In 1S92 his studies
were so far advanced that he entered the medical
department of Dartmouth College. In 1893 he at-
tended the Baltimore, Maryland, Medical College,
from which excellent institution 4ie received his de-
gree of M. D. in 1S96. He immediately came to
Worcester and began to practice his profession. In



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 129 of 133)