Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 13 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 13 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1760, John Wellington; Elijah, born May 31, 1744,
graduate of Harvard, 1765; teacher; married Su-
sannah Bigelow, of Waltham: married (second}
Abigail Flagg, widow of Gershom Flagg, of
Lancester.

(V) Deacon Amos Brown, son of Ebenezer
Brown (4), was born September 18, 1738. died at
Waltham, February 3, 1812. He lived in Waltham.
He married, January 21, 1762, Anna Sanderson, born
August 30, 1740, daughter of Thomas and Anna
(Dix) Sanderson. She died September 19, 1823.
She was a descendant of Francis Marshall, who mar-
ried Catherine Learned. The name Marshall appears
among her descendants. Amos Brown was select-
man of Waltham. Children of Amos and Anna
Brown were Ebenezer, born November 3, 1762, died
March 26, 1776; Amos, Jr., July 26, 1764; Thomas,
November 18, 1766; Lydia, September 12, 1768;
Nathaniel, March 6, 1771, married Sarah Stearns;
Eunice, January 1, 1773, married Jonas Pierce;
Daniel, May 29, 1775, married Sally Flagg; Anna,
May 19, 1777, died December 3, 1781 ; Ebenezer,
January 5, 1780, died August 3, 1799.

(VI) Thomas Brown, son of Amos Brown (5),
was born November 18, 1766. He lived at Waltham,
Massachusetts. He married, June 30, 1793, Susannah
Kendall, at Cambridge. Their children were: Mar-
shall, born December 18, 1793, namesake of Freder-
ick Marshall; Adolphus, married Warner;

Almira, died young; Seth, see forward. (The rec-
ords reveal very little of this family ; there were
probably other children.") The record of the death
of Seth Brown gives his birthplace as Marlboro,
Vermont, but there is no record there of his birth.

(VII) Seth Brown, son of Thomas Brown (6),
was born at Marlboro, Vermont, March 30, 1804.
He went to school there and learned the trade
of tanner, which he followed through life. He
worked at Leominster. Northfield. Deerfield, Ash-
burnham, Baldwinsville, and Winchendon. He was
a man of strict integrity and attended closely to
his business. He died at Winchendon, June 10,
1871. He owned land in Phillipston, which he
bought in 1848. He was a Methodist in religion,
a Whig in politics and in his later years a Repub-
lican. He trained in the militia when a young man.
He married, May 6, 1830, Nancy Brigham, born
August 16, 1802, died May 12, 1891. Her mother,
Elizabeth, died at Leominster, September 6, 1846.
The intentions of this marriage were filed at
Waltham. March 6, 1830. Children of Seth and
Nancy Brown were : George Henry, born Septem-
ber 17, 1832, married Augusta P. Britton, October
29, 1873. and had one child — Georgictta Isabel, born
October 22. 1S73, wife of Fred Z. Brown; Charles
Wheeler, born July 13. 18J3, died April • 26, 1853;
Chester Franklin, born January 12, 1835 ; Abel
Alonzo, born January 29. 1S37 : Mary Ellen, born
November 25, 1839, died December 26, 1849; Fred-



erick Marshall, see forward ; Ellen Mary, born Au-
gust 5, 1843, died December 7, 1849; Albert Leander,
born February 14, 1847, died December 9, 1849.

(VIII) Frederick Marshall Brown, son of Seth
Brown (7), was born in Baldwinsville, Massachu-
setts, November 29, 1841. He was an infant when
his parents removed to Winchendon, where he at-
tended school and academy. He went to work at
the age of seventeen in the wooden-ware factory
of Amasa Whitney, making wooden faucets. After
a year there, he entered the employ of Charles A.
Loud, manufacturer of wooden faucets, where he re-
mained twenty-six years. The business was then sold
to Edward Loud and Mr. Brown continued with the
new owner until his death, about seven years later.
Benjamin Wright was the next owner of the busi-
ness, and Mr. Brown remained with him for three
years, when he entered the Martin Converse toy
plant, where he operated a bench saw. At present
Mr. Brown is employed by Carter & Campbell in
the chair factory, in charge of the bending of stock.

He was a soldier in the civil war. He enlisted
July 28, 1862, in Company D, Thirty-sixth Massa-
chusetts Volunteers, under Colonel Henry Bowman.
His regiment was in the Ninth Army Corps. He
took part in the battles of Fredericksburg, Jackson,
Campbell's Station, the siege of Knoxville and Blue
Springs. He was also detailed in the service of the
brigade quartermaster's department for a year. He
was mustered out June 8, 1865, after the close of the
war. In describing the incidents of his service Mr.
Brown said : "At the seige of Knoxville in East
Tennessee, I lived on quarter rations of pork and
bread. We were surrounded and our supplies cut
off for three weeks. * * * On the way to Fred-
ericksburg the Rebels captured our supply train.
We camped near Harper's Ferry, living on fresh
beef and hard corn until our supplies reached us.
* * * I saw a Rebel spy hanged at Knoxville and
and while encamped in front of Petersburg, Vir-
ginia, I .saw eight soldiers hanged and two shot for
desertion." Mr. Brown is a member of the Church
of the Unity (Unitarian) of Winchendon. He is a
Republican in politics, and has been chosen a dele-
gate to numerous state and other conventions of his
party. He served on the police force of Winchen-
don for sixteen years. He is a member of Artisan
Lodge of Free Masons and has been through the
chairs of that lodge. He is a member of Mono-
manock Lodge, No. 121, Odd Fellows, and of Gil-
man B. Parker Post, No. 153, Grand Army, of which
he was commander one year.

He married, November 29, i86r, Jennie Bass,
born May 10, 1840, daughter of Eben and Susan
(Farnsworth) Bass, of Jaffrey, New Hampshire.
Her father was a farmer and had the rank of cap-
tain in the militia. The only child of Frederick M.
Brown is Florence Idell, born May 9, 1873, married
George Howe, of Gardner, Massachusetts.

McGILLICUDDY FAMILY. Cornelius McGilli-
cuddy. son of Daniel and Ellen (Brosnihan) Mc-
Gillicuddy, was born in Ireland November 12, 1824.
He came to America during the famine year of 1852
and landed at Boston. He worked for a time in
New Braintree for Captain Converse, removing after
a few years to Worcester, where he was employed
by the J. M. Huntington Coal Company of Norwich,
which became the Wellington Coal Company later.
He died July 24. 1897. He was among the early
pioneer Irish settlers in Worcester who, realizing
the lack of education, and, further accepting the ad-
vantage of liberty, were active in the advancement of
building churches and schools to educate the chil-
dren of their faith, in a newly adopted country.



WORCESTER COUNTY



45



Much respect is due these early Irish settlers, who
were compelled to undergo much abuse, due to the
then dominant spirit of race and religion hatred,
known then as "Knownothingism."

He married Margaret Sullivan, of Worcester,
daughter of Eugene and Mary (O'Neil) Sullivan.
Their children : Rev. Daniel F., see forward. Mary
Agnes, born in Worcester, educated in public and
high schools, graduating from the latter in 1880,
then entered State Normal school, graduating in
1883. Began teaching school, and was principal of
Shrewsbury street school, and at present (1906) is
principal of Salem street school, Worcester. She
travelled in Europe in 1905. Ellen G., graduated
from the high school in 1881, from State Normal
in January, 1885, then taught school and later was
principal of Shrewsbury street school. She mar-
ried, July 14, 1891, M. J. Halloran, M. D. She
died June 3, 1892, survived by her husband, and son,
Edward McGillicuddy Halloran, born May 30, 1892.
John T., see forward. C. Eugene, see forward.

Timothy McGillicuddy, brother of Cornelius Mc-
Gillicuddy, mentioned above, was born in Ireland,
February 5, 1834. The family came to Boston,
Massachusetts, during the first great emigration to
America and landed in Boston, June 3, 1852. Tim-
othy McGillicuddy was employed first in a cotton
mill in Worcester for a year, then in the Amoskeag
Mills at Manchester, New Hampshire, then in the
Thorndyke Mills, Palmer. He returned to Man-
chester from Palmer and worked a few months,
then came to Worcester, where he was employed in
the Huntington Coal Yard for three years. He was
man of all work for Thomas Earle, whose estate
was on the present site of All Saints' Church, Wor-
cester. From 1861 to 1868 he was in the employ of
Colonel George W. Richardson, former mayor of
Worcester. After leaving this position he went into
the liquor business on his own account and repre-
sented the Frank Jones Brewing Company of Ports-
mouth, New Hampshire, for twenty-seven years,
finally retiring from business in 1897. He was a
Democrat in politics but never sought public office.
He was active in St. Paul's and St. John's Roman
Catholic churches, Worcester, at different times,
and was a generous contributor.

He married, April 27, 1862, in Worcester, Johanna
Cronin, daughter of Cornelius and Ellen (Foley)
Cronin, who came to Worcester from county Kerry,
Ireland. They had no children.

He was a man gifted with exceptional powers
of observation and possessed a remarkable memory,
which aided him materially in his search of his-
torical subjects, particularly in reference to America
and Ireland. His intimate knowledge of early
Worcester made him able to discuss easily the not-
able happenings and incidents connected with the
prominent and humble citizens of his residential city.
He made three trips to Europe, and in 1901 brought
with him a quern, or set of early hand grinding
stones, that conform exactly with the Biblical di-
mensions. These he presented to the Worcester
Society of Antiquity, which society has the distinc-
tion of owning the only set in America, although
the Peabody Institute at Cambridge has a set that
came from India and are much larger, therefore
are not in conformity with Biblical mention.

Rev. Daniel F. McGillicuddy, eldest son of Cor-
nelius and Margaret (Sullivan) McGillicuddy, was
born in Worcester, May 13, i860, attended public
and high school, graduated 1878; then attended
Holy Cross College, graduated class of 1881 ; then
attended Grand Seminary at Montreal, where he
•was ordained priest, December, 1884. Officiated at
his first mass in St. Paul's Church (Roman Cath-



olic) at Worcester, Massachusetts. His first ap-
pointment was as curate at Milford (St. Mary's
Church) under Rev. P. Cudahy, pastor, remaining;
there until 1892, then to St. Louis Church at Leo-
minster short time, then Westfield, then to Warren,.
Massachusetts, receiving his first pastorate and re-
maining until 1895, then to Worcester, Massachu-
setts, as pastor of St. Stephen's Roman Catholic
Church, where he still remains. Was president of
Springfield Diocesan Temperance Union, then treas-
urer one year, and president of the Catholic Total
Abstinance Union of America for two years. Is-
recognized as one of the most powerful temperance
orators, having lectured in the foremost cities of the
United States on this subject. As a pulpit orator
he is equally well known for his force and oratorical
ability. Father McGillicuddy has travelled exten-
sively all over the world, and his wonderful knowl-
edge, and his retentive abilities, together with his-
illustrations at lectures by photographs, taken by
himself of all principle places on his travels, are
enjoyed by not only his parishioners, but by all
audiences.

His greatest achievement was entering Thibet
in 1906, going in with a British military expedition,,
even though the Thibetans and British governor for-
bade the entrance of outsiders. Believed to be first
American who ever entered Thibet. In 1903 he was
held for five weeks in Venezuela during the block-
ade established by the allied governments, having
many conferences with President Castro during his.
stay. Is a linguist of ability, speaking German,.
French, Spanish. Italian and English fluently. At
present he is in Siberia; expects to reach Worcester
by Christmas. 1906.

Dr. John T. McGillicuddy, son of Cornelius and
Margaret (Sullivan) McGillicuddy, mentioned
above, was born August 27, 1867. He was educated
in the Worcester public schools and at the College
of the Holy Cross, taking his medical degree in 1892-
in Columbia Medical School, New York city. He-
began to practice his profession in Worcester, in
1892, and was in general practice there with sub-
stantial success for eleven years. He then spent
two years in European schools and hospitals, making
a special study of the eye, ear and throat. He re-
turned to his practice in Worcester in 1905. He is a
member of the Massachusetts Medical Society and!
of the Worcester District Medical Society. In poli-
tics he is a Democrat. He was a member of the
school board seven years from 1896 to 1903. whert
he resigned to go abroad for higher study. He is on
the staff of St. Vincent's Hospital, Worcester. Is-
aurist and oculist at City Hospital, on patient nose
and throat refractions. His office is at 41 Pleasant
street.

He married, October 9, 1900, Josephine M. Dowd,.
of Manchester, New Hampshire, daughter of Law-
rence and Ellen (Connor) Dowd, who were among
the oldest Irish settlers. She graduated from ML
Saint Marv's Convent. Their children: John Tim-
othy, Jr., born November 21, 1901 ; Lawrence Dan-
iel, October 14, 1906.

C. Eugene McGillicuddy, son of Cornelius and!
Margaret (Sullivan) McGillicuddy, mentioned
above, was born January 4, 1870. He was educated
in the public schools of Worcester, graduated from
Classical high school. 1888. then went to St. John's
College. Fordham, New York, then to College of
Holy Cross, where he graduated in 1891, and was-
salutatorian of his class. He studied law in the
Boston University Law School, where he received
his degree in 1894. He opened an office in the State
Mutual building in Worcester and has been en-
gaged since then in the active practice of law in that



44



WORCESTER COUNTY



city. He is a member of the Knigths of Columbus.
He has travelled in America and Europe, having
visited the latter place twice, in 1901 and 1903.

He married, October 14, 1903, Mary E. Connor,
of Worcester, daughter of Captain James E. and
Catharine M. (Foley) Connor. They have one son,
Eugene, born January 25, 1905. His wife was edu-
cated in Worcester public and high schools, then
in State Normal school at Worcester, graduating
June, 1S97. She taught in the public schools at Wor-
cester, Massachusetts, until June, 1903.

RAYMOND FAMILY. Captain William Ray-
mond (1), immigrant ancestor of Henry M. Ray-
mond, of Winchendon, Massachusetts, deceased,
came to New England, according to his own tes-
timony given in the Essex court December 28, 1697,
"about the year 1652." He was of Essex county m
old England, and his father, William Raymond,
the "Steward," was brother of Richard Raymond,
.a prominent pioneer of Salem, Massachusetts. Cap-
tain William, was born according to his testimony
on this occasion about 1637. He made his home at
Beverly. He was in the Narragansett fight in King
Philip's war, 1675, and was appointed by the general
court in 16S3 lieutenant commander of the Beverly
and Wenham troops. He also commanded a com-
pany in the ill-starred Phipps expedition against
Canada in 1690. He was deputy to the general
court from Beverly in 1685-86. Captain Raymond
■died January 29, 1709.

He married (first) Hannah Bishop, daughter of
Edward Bishop. She was born April 12, 1646. He
married (second) Ruth Hull, daughter of Isaac Hull,
of Beverly. Children of Captain William and Han-
nah Raymond were: William,, see forward; Ed-
ward, baptized July 12, 1608, married Mary ,

who was dismissed from the First church, Salem,
to the new church, April 2, 1716; George, baptized
October 30, 1670; Hannah, baptized May 18, 1673,

married (first) Nathaniel Hayward ; (second)

Hutchinson; Abigail, baptized July 23, 1676, married,
March 29, 1694, John Giles. Children of Captain
William and Ruth Raymond were : Mary, born May
2, 1682, married Josiah Batchelder; Ruth, born 1690,
died March, 1747; Ebenezer, born 1691.

(II) William Raymond, son of Captain William
Raymond (1), was born at Salem or Beverly, Massa-
chusetts, about 1666. He was a witness in a witch-
craft case in Salem and seems not to have been one
of the deluded ones. He was killed January, 1701,
by the fall of a tree. He married Mary Kettle,
■daughter of John Kettle, of Gloucester, Massachu-
setts. Their children, all born in Beverly, were :
Mary, born May 16, 1688, died January 20, 1689;
William, born February 11, 1690; Daniel, born No-
vember 25, 1691 ; Paul, born January 22, 1695, see
forward.

(III) Paul Raymond, son of William Raymond
(2), was born January 22, 1695, at Beverly, Massa-
chusetts. He was lieutenant of a military company.
He died 1759, aged sixty-five years. He married,
February 28, 1717, Tabitha Balch, daughter of
Freeborn Balch, and their first five children were
baptized in the First church at Salem. They were
■dismissed from the First church to the church at
Bedford, Massachusetts, April 4, 1736. Children of
Lieutenant Paul and Tabitha were : Elizabeth, bap-
tized April 9, 1721 ; Mary, baptized March 10, 1723;
William, born July 30, 1725, baptized August 8,
1725; Edward, baptized December 17, 1728; Paul,
see forward ; Lucy, born at Bedford, August 5,
l 737'j Nathan, born February 29, 1740; Tabitha,
iborn September 19, 1743.

(IV) Paul Raymond, son of Lieutenant Paul



Raymond (3), was born at Salem, Massachusetts,
and baptized in the First church there May 17,
1730. He settled in Holden, Massachusetts. He
was a soldier in the revolution. He was commis-
sioned a major, February 2, 1776, in Colonel Den-
ny's First Worcester regiment. He was commis-
sioned lieutenant-colonel of a new Worcester county
regiment under Colonel Stalman for service in
Canada and New York in June, 1776. He removed
to Winchendon in 1776 and died there April 10,
1817, aged eighty-seven years. He married at Win-
chendon, November 27, 1755, Abigail Jones, born
April 6, 1734, died June, 1809. She was the daugh-
ter of James and Abigail Jones, of Weston, Massa-
chusetts. Children of Colonel Paul and Abigail
Raymond were : Eunice, born January 9, 1757, died
September 29, 1759; Paul, born August 13, 1759;
James, see forward; Joel, born December 9, 1704;
Abigail, born February 24, 1767, married Deacon
George Coffin; Jesse, born May 4, 1769; Silas, born
October 15, 1771 ; Liberty, born July 7, 1774, died
June 9, 1813, at Corinth, Vermont; Anna, born
November 7, 1776, died August, 1778. The above
all born at Holden.

(V) James Raymond, son of Colonel Paul Ray-
mond (4), was born at Holden, Massachusetts,
December 8, 1761. He went to school there until
1776, when the family removed to Winchendon. He
owned his farm later near his father's on the road
to Gardner. He became a man of note in the town,
was selectman in 1807 and 1808 and helped to draft
a petition to President Jefferson to suspend the
embargo in whole or in part dated September 5,
1808. He was assessor in 1808. He married (.first),
January 11, 1789, Molly Gale, widow, who died
September 19, 1831. He married (second) Dolly
Haven, widow, December 27, 1832. Children of
James and Molly Raymond were : Levi, see for-
ward; Polly, born April 4, 1791, died October II,
1841, married Ezra Hyde; James, Jr., born October
17, 1792, died young; Nathan, born June 29, 1794,
died December 1, 1825 ; Lucinda, born February 8,
1796, died April 14, 1877; married, December 13,
1827, Peter Woodbury; Clark, born November 13,
1797; Fidelia, born January 13, 1800, died November
5, 1833; married Hervey Taft, April 10, 1821.

(VI) Levi Raymond, son of James Raymond
(5), was born in Winchendon, August 17, 1789. He
was brought up on the farm, acquiring his schooling
in his native town. He followed farming for his
occupation and owned a large and productive farm
in Winchendon. He enlisted in the war of 1812 with
seven others in what was called the south company
with the rank of sergeant, but Governor Strong
would not consent to have the company go beyond
the bounds of Worcester county. He was prominent
in town affairs, was selectman in 1844-47-48, was
assessor and overseer of the poor. He was one of
the committee chosen by the town to build a town
house, April 15, 1850. He was an active and prom-
inent member of the First Parish Congregational
Church. He died May 9, 1868.

He married, March 20, 1815, at Winchendon,
Sophia Greenwood, born July 16, 1793, died Decem-
ber 23, 1866, daughter of Thomas and Deborah
(Barber) Greenwood, of Winchendon. Her father
was a prominent man in town affairs, a farmer.
Children of Levi and Deborah Raymond were : Deb-
orah T., born October 22, 1815, died November 23,
1835; Sophia, born September 14. 1817, married
James Cheney, April 13, 1837; Mary Ann, born Jan-
uary 28, 1820; George B., see forward; Eliza J.,
born October 28, 1824, married A. Hastings, May 9,
1850; Harriet F., born September 28, 1827, married,
April 28, 1848, J. T. Woodburv; Lucinda A., born



WORCESTER COUNTY



45



January 17, 1830, married A. Wiley, January 7,
18OS; Nancy, born April 14, 1832, died August 19,
1806; married, December 17, 1862, A. Wiley; Sarah
E., born January 25, 1835, died December I, 1801 ;
married, April 21, 1858.

(VII) George Barber Raymond, son of Levi
Raymond (6), was born in Winchendon, April 21,
1822. He was educated in the common schools of
that town, and his early years were spent on the
farm with all the meagre advantages and depriva-
tions that accompanied agricultural pursuits in those
days. When nearly twenty-one years old, he bought
the remainder of his time of his father and removed
to Grafton, where he learned the carpenter's trade.
For some time part of his employment was the
making of shoe boxes. He returned to Winchendon
and worked two years for Major Sidney Fairbank,
whom he then bought out, forming a partnership
with Charles E. Forristal as carpenters and builders.
He bought the interests of his partner and con-
tinues alone, although Mr. Forristal remained in his
employ until 1865, in charge of the business, Mr.
Raymond being obliged to give all his own time to
his pail factory at Harrisville. This property was
destroyed by fire a few years ago. In 1867 Ray-
mond & Forristal built the steam mill in what was
then almost a wilderness. In 1S68 a partnership
was formed by Raymond, Forristal and C. J. Rice
for the manufacture of blinds, chair frames, hay
rakes and manufacturing lumber. Additions were
made to this business in various directions until it
assumed large proportions. On the death of Mr.
Forristal, the two remaining partners continued the
business. After the death ot Mr. Rice Mr. Raymond
took his son, Henry M. Raymond, into the firm and
himself retired as silent partner. Thirty years ago
he became interested in the grocery business in the
Tucker-Rice block, of which he owned a third in-
terest. This grocery business was conducted by his
son, Hervey T. Raymond.

Mr. Raymond joined the Congregational church
when a boy, but in 1859 became a member of the
Baptist church and has ever since been a consistent
and influential worker of that denomination. Many
of the poor of the town had reason to revere his
memory for kindness done them. He was a man of
great energy, decided opinions and high character.
In politics he was first Whig, then Republican, and
he rilled many important othces in the town. He
was selectman from 1861 to 1866, inclusive, during
the trying period of the civil war, assessor 1863-64,
and was on many town committees. He was active
during the civil war in raising troops.

He married, December 1, 1847, Harriet Taft.
Their children were : Hervey Taft, born April 13,
1850, in Winchendon; Henry M., see forward; Fi-
delia H., born March 11, 1865, died February 12,
1882 ; Jennie S., born February 19, 1869, died Octo-
ber 10, 1869; Edith M., born March 1, 1870, died
August 15, 1870.

(VIII) Henry Martin Raymond, son of George
Barber Raymond (7), was born in Winchendon,
Massachusetts, February 2, 1855. He attended the
district schools there and was at the academy one
term. He began life in the railroad business on the
Peterboro branch of the Monadnock Railroad, where
he worked for a short time. He then entered the
employ of his father and learned the trade of car-
penter, which he followed for some time. He be-
came superintendent of his father's steam saw mill.
After the death of Mr. Rice, the junior partner of
his father's firm, the firm became G. B. & H. M.
Raymond, and the management of the business was
left largely in the hands of the son and junior part-
ner. When his father died he became the sole pro-



prietor of the lumber business. Later Mrs. Ray-



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 13 of 133)