Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 14 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 14 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


mond sold out to the firm of Ballon & McColley. Mr.
Raymond died October 14, 1905. He passed away
in the prime of life, mourned by his family and
many friends, for he was generous, sympathetic
and hospitable. He had the qualities that attract
friends 111 all relations of life. He was successful
in business and stood in the foremost rank of Win-
chendon manufacturers. In politics he was a Re-
publican and served the town as selectman for a
number of years. He was an active member of the
First Baptist Church, was for many years chairman
of the standing committee, and was especially active
in the purchase and installing of the new church
bell. He was a member of Monomonack Lodge. No.
121, Odd Fellows, and had passed through the
chairs of that organization. He was a member of
Watatic Tribe, No. 85, Red Men, and of the Avon
Club of Winchendon.

He married, July 2, 1877, Lizzie Estella Johnson,
born July 2, 1856, daughter of Jonas Franklin and
Lucy Elizabeth (Perry) Johnson, of Peterboro, New
Hampshire. Her father was a farmer. Children of
Henry M. and Lizzie Raymond were : Harry Levi,
born May 7, 1879, died July 21, 1879; Isaac Hamb-
lin, born October, 1880, died August 21, 1881 ; Ber-
nard Perry, born December 23, 1882, auditor of the
Adams Express Company of Providence ; married,
April 25, 1905, Clara R. Smith, of Providence,
Rhode Island ; Harland Manley, born April 19,
1886, died September 18, 1886; Marjorie Fidelia,
born February 13, 1898; Paul Montgomery, born
February 18, 1901.

HORACE M. ALDRICH. George Aldrich (1),
the immigrant ancestor of the Rhode Ishnd and
Mendon families of Aldrich and of Horace M.
Aldrich, of Uxbridge, Massachusetts, was born in
England, about 1605, and came from Derbyshire in
1631 with his wife. He married in England, No-
vember 3, 1629, Katharine Seald. He was a tailor
by trade. They settled in Dorchester, Massachu-
setts, and belonged to the church there about 1636.
He was admitted a freeman December 7, 1636. His
wife testified June 18, 1670, that she was sixty
years old. In 1663 he was one of the first seven
persons to arrive in the township of Mendon, Massa-
chusetts. He sold his land at Braintree to his friend.
Richard Thayer, of Braintree, June 9, 1663. He died
at Mendon,, after the re-settlement following King
Philip's war, March 1, 1682. His wife died January
11, 1691. His will was dated at Mendon, November
2, 16S2, and proved April 26, 1683. He bequeathed
to wife, to children Joseph, John, Jacob, Mary,
Sarah Bartlett, Mercy Randall and Martha Dunbar.
The children : Abel, born 1633 J Joseph, born June
4, 1635, see forward ; Mary, born June 16, 1637, died
1683; Miriam, born June 29, 1639, died May 10,
1652; Experience, born September 4, 1641, died Feb-
ruary 2, 1642, at Braintree; John, born April 2, 1644,
married Sarah Thompson and (second) Sarah
Leach ; Sarah, born January 16, 1646, died February
17, 1685; Peter, born April 14, 1648; Mercy, born

June 17, 1650, married Randall ; Miriam, died

March 16, 1652 ; Jacob, ancestor of the Mendon
family, born February 28, 1653; Martha, born July
10, 1656.

(II) Joseph Aldrich, son of George Aldrich (1),
was born at Dorchester, Massachusetts, June 4,
1635, died 1701. He married Patience Osborne, who
died in 1705. They lived at Braintree, Massachu-
setts, and at Providence, Rhode Island. He received
his father's wearing apparel in his will dated No-
vember 2, 1682. He was a tax-payer in Providence
in 1687. He made an agreement with his son, Jo-



4 6



WORCESTER COUNTY



seph Aldrich, Jr., to support him in consideration of
the property deeded to him. The inventory of his
estate was filed August 20, 1701. The children of
Joseph and Patience Aldrich ; Joseph, Jr., born July
14, 1663, died April 24, 1705; Samuel, died April 2,
1747, see forward; Ephraim, resided in Providence
and Gloucester, Rhode Island; married Barbara
, had Daniel ; John, died March 17, 1735, re-
sided at Providence and Scituate, Rhode Island, mar-
ried, March 20, 1699, Martha Evans; was miller at
Providence.

(III) Samuel Aldrich, son of Joseph Aldrich
(2), was born in Rhode Island, about 1660. He was
a Quaker and had a stock of leather taken from him
May, 1706, valued at eleven shillings, three pence,
because he refused to train with the militia. He
was a tanner by trade. He lived in Providence and
Smithfield, dying at the latter place, April 2, 1747.

He married Jane . He was a taxpayer in 1713.

He deeded his son James seventy-seven acres, Feb-
ruary 28, 1716. He deeded one hundred and thirteen
acres to his son Peter, September 9, 1727, and he
deeded his homestead at Smithfield to his son John,
September 14, 1733. The place comprised two hun-
dred acres. His wife Jane administered the estate.
Their children : Samuel, Jr., born 1681 ; Peter, see
forward ; James ; John.

(IV) Peter Aldrich, son of Samuel Aldrich (3),
was born in Providence, Rhode Island, about 1690.
He married, September 6, 1716, Priscilla Kenne, of
.Salem, Massachusetts, (by Captain Samuel Wilkinson)
He resided in Providence and Smithfield, Rhode
Island. Their children, born at Providence, were :
Jane, born April 7, 1717; Samuel, August 17, 1718,
see forward; Priscilla, March 9, 1719; Silvanus,
April 21, 1722; Stephen, August 15, 1725; Esther,
May 27, 1727; Anne, December II, 1729; Peter, Jr.,
October 2, 1733; Alice, May, 1736.

(IV) Samuel Aldrich, son of Peter Aldrich (4),
•called Samuel, Jr., because his uncle named Samuel
was of the same vicinity, was born at Providence,
Rhode Island, May 4, 1722. He married, August
21, 1740, Priscilla Paine (by Thomas Sayles). Their
children, all born at Smithfield, Rhode Island, were:
Mercy, September 2, 1743; Elizabeth, May 15, 1746;
Alice, October 3, 1751 ; Peter, May 30, 1753, see
forward; Benjamin, May 30, 1753 (twin); David,
about 1760, settled at Smithfield; Gideon, August
4. 1763.

(VI) Peter Aldrich, son of Samuel Aldrich
(5), was born at Smithfield, Rhode Island, May
3°. 1753- He seems not to have been a Quaker, as
many of the family were. A Peter Aldrich, pre-
sumably this one, served as a soldier in the revolu-
tion in Colonel Elliott's regiment in 1776. He was
married, May 15, 1774, by Rev. Eleazer Angell, to
Amie Mowry, daughter of Joseph Mowry, and (sec-
ond) Phila Mowry, daughter of Eleazer Mowry.
She was born February 4, 1785. After the death of
Peter Aldrich she married Otis Thayer. Eleazer
Mowry was born September 5, 1750, married, No-
vember 27, 1773, Eunice Aldrich, daughter of
Reuben. Joseph Mowry, called "candle head," was
son of Captain Joseph Mowry, born February 26,
1698-99, married Margery Mowry, daughter of John

-and Margery Mowry. Captain Joseph Mowry, son
of Nathaniel Mowry, married, June 3, 1695, Alice
Whipple ; was a very prominent man. The immi-
grant, Nathaniel Mowry, was born in 1644, married,
1666, Joanna Inman, daughter of Edward. He died
March 24, 1717-18. Only three children were born
to Peter and Phila (Mowry) Aldrich: Smith, see
was born in Burrillville, Rhode Island, August 16,
forward ; Sarena, Laura.

(VII) Smith Aldrich, son of Peter Aldrich (6),



181 7. He was a farmer, and was in the wood busi-
ness during the winters in Burrillville, Rhode
Island. He married Sallie Ann Young. Their
children : Levi R., born July 20, 1849, married Fran-
cis J. Woodis, and they have one child, Luta ; Horace
Mowry, born November 10, 1851, see forward;
Laura A., March 8, 1853; Elvira, residts in Pascoag,
Rhode Island; Leander Smith, born April 7, 1858.

(VIII) Horace Mowry Aldrich, son of Smith
Aldrich (7), was born at Burrillville, Rhode Island,
November 10, 1851. He worked on his father's
farm and attended the winter terms of the district
school until he was nineteen years old. He went
to Providence in 1870 with the intention of learn-
ing the trade of jeweler, but the confining nature
of the work injured his health and he went to Ux-
bridge and learned the carpenter's trade of Mr.
Foskett. He worked on many of the best houses
in that section. He helped to build the Rivulet Mill,
Scott's Mills and the Calumet Mills. In 1880 he
entered the employ of the Whitin Machine Works,
and for the past twenty-six years has held his posi-
tion there. He is a stanch Democrat in politics, but
never sought public office. He attended the Baptist
church at North Uxbridge, where he makes his
home. He is a man of quiet, domestic tastes.

He married Susan Maria Norbery, born Novem-
ber 16, 1853, daughter of Edward and Susan Nor-
bery. Their children : Charles Smith, born Decem-
ber 18, 1878; Susan May, May 23, 1883, died 1891 ;
Horace Edward, August 20, 1886, graduate of the
Uxbridge high school, later attending Dean Acad-
emy and Brown University; Clifford, born April
17, 1892.

GILBERT H. HARRINGTON. Robert Har-
rington (1) was the emigrant ancestor of the late
Gilbert H. Harrington and his sons, Edwin Chester
Harrington and John Walter Harrington, of Wor-
cester, Massachusetts. The name was variously
spelled on the early records Harrington, Herring-
ton, Hcrington, Arrington and Errington. His
name appears last on the list of proprietors of- the
town of Watertown, Massachusetts, made out in
1 O42- 1644. He then owned a homestall, as it was
called, given him by Thomas Hastings. This gift
renders it probable that he was a kinsman of Dea-
con Hastings. He was admitted freeman May 27,
1663, and he married, October I, 1649, Susanna
George. She was born 1632, died July 6, 1694.
He died May 11, 1707, aged ninety-one years. Ac-
cordingly he was born in England in 1616. He
held various town offices in Watertown and was
a man of prominence for many years. He was a
mill owner. In his will, dated January 1, 1704-5
(the day before the third marriage of his daughter
Susannah) he mentions his sons, John, Daniel,
Benjamin. Samuel. Thomas, Edwin (his youngest
son to whom he gave his homestead) and daughters
Susannah Beers, Mary Bemis, Sarah Winship ; to
Joseph, son of "my son Joseph deceased" and to
daughter-in-law, Joanna Ward, late wife of his
son 'Joseph. His inventory mentions sixteen lots
of land amounting to six hundred and forty-two
and one-half acres and appraised at seven hundred
and seventeen pounds. His homestead bought De-
cember 24, 1684, of Jeremiah Dummer, a goldsmith
of Boston, for ninety pounds comprised the westerly
half, some two hundred and fifty acres, of the
Oldham farm, and it is interesting to note that his
farm on the Charles river is or was recently owned
by descendants, having been kept in the family con-
tinuously.

His children were: 1. Susanna, born August
18, 1649, married, February 9, 1671, John Cutting,








} C^-Tnyp^^t^K^



WORCESTER COUNTY



47



by whom she had seven children; married (second),
April 21, 1600, Eliezer Beers, who died December
5, 1691. and she married (third), January 2, l7°4-5.
Peter Cloyes, of Framingham. 2. John, born Au-
gust 24, 1651, died August 24. 1741- 3- Robert,
born August 31, 1653, probably died young. 4.
George, born November 24, 1655, member of Cap-
tain Wadsworth's company and was killed by the
Indians in Lancaster, 1675-6. 5. Daniel, born No-
vember 1. 1657, admitted freeman April 18, 1600,
died Apri'l 19, 1728. 6. Joseph, born December 28,
1659, admitted freeman April 18, 1690. 7. Benja-
min, born January 26, 1661-2, died 1724. 8. Mary,
born January 12.' 1663-4. married about 1680, John
Bemis, had fourteen children. 9. Thomas, born
April 20, 1665, admitted freeman April 18, 1690,
lii 1 March 29, 1712. 10. Samuel, born December
18, 1666. II. Edward, born March 2, 1668-9. 12.
Sarah, born March 10, 1670-1, died November 28,
1710; married. November 24, 1687, Joseph Win-
ship, Jr., of Cambridge, Massachusetts. 13. David,
born June I, 1673, died March II, 1675.

(II) Thomas Harrington, son of Robert Har-
rington (1), born at Watertown, Massachusetts,
April 20, 1665, died March 29, 1712. He was ad-
mitted a freeman April 18, 1690. He married Re-
becca (Bemis), widow of John White and daugh-
ter of John Bemis. His will was dated March 27,

1712, and proved April 6. Inventory showed his
real estate worth three hundred and ninety-nine
pounds. Their children were : Ebenezer, born June
27, 1687: Susanna, November 17, 1688, married
Joshua Kendall ; Rebecca. 1690. married. May 25,
1714. Simon Tainter, and had six children; Thomas,
January 14. 1691-2: George, August 31, 1695.

(III) Thomas Harrington, son of Thomas Har-
rington (2), was born at Watertown, Massachu-
setts, January 14. 1691-2; married (first) Abigail

, and settled in Cambridge. Massachusetts,

where she died March 4, 1717. He returned to

Waltham and married (second) Mary . His

will dated Waltham, January 31. 1739, proved Oc-
tober 15, 1750, mentions his wife Mary, his sons
Thomas, of Shrewsbury, Timothy and Daniel, the
residuary legatee. The bequest to Timothy was as
follows : "I give and bequeath to my son Timothy
Harrington, the sum of thirty-four pounds besides
what I have been out in School and College learn-
ing for him. to be paid by my son, Daniel." In
addition to his farm he kept an inn from 1719 to
1737 at Waltham. His children were: 1. Thomas,

born in Cambridge, September 29. 1713. 2. Tim-
othy, born January 30. baptized February 5, 1715-6,
graduated at Harvard College 1737, settled as
pastor of Swanzey, New Hampshire, when Swanzey
was destroyed by the Indians, April 2, 1747; he was
installed in the church at Lancaster, Massachusetts,
November 16, 1748. He married (first) Anna Har-
rington, who died in Lancaster, May 19, 1778, and
lie married (second) Anna, widow of Rev. Matthew
Bridge, of Framingham, Massachusetts. He died
December 18, 1795. and his wife died in Framing-
ham, Mav T2. 1805. Seven children. 3. Daniel,
born in Waltham, January 15, 1720-1, died April
16, 1763. 4. Abigail, born January 12, 1726-7, died

(IV) Thomas Harrington, son of Thomas Har-
rington (3), was born at Cambridge. Massachu-
setts. September 29; 1713. He married in Water-
town, Massachusetts, August 27, 1737. Grace War-
ren, and settled in Shrewsbury, where he died
April 15. 1791. aged seventy-eight years. His chil-
dren were: Thomas, born December 23. 1737, died
September 10, T745: Jonathan. January 16, 1741,
died January 27, 1741 ; Jonathan, February II, 1742,



died September 11, 1745; Elijah, January 27, 1745,
of Shrewsbury, married, 1780, Mary Warren, of
Upton; he died March 8, lift 8, and she died 1828,
aged eighty years; Grace, April 11, 1747; Abigail,
December 16, 1749; Esther, January 1, 1753, mar-
ried, 1776, Simeon Bruce; Thomas, March 23, 1756,
died December 20, 1834, a captain of Shrewsbury;
married, October 14, 1784, Hannah Knowlton,
daughter of Deacon William Knowlton; she died
March 8, 1793; Jonathan, of wdiom later; Daniel,
September 3, 1761, of Shrewsbury, married, Decem-
ber 22, 1788, Relief Smith, daughter of Aaron
Smith; Daniel died February 22, 1823; his wife
died February 15, 1844, aged seventy-seven years.
(V) Jonathan Harrington, son of Thomas Har-
rington (4), was born in Shrewsbury, Massachu-
setts, May 18, 1759, died April 6, 1842, at Shrews-
bury. He married, 1783, Sarah Pratt, daughter of
Elnathan Pratt. She died February 16, 1813, aged
forty-nine years. He married (second), 1814, Mrs.
Susanna Bennimann, of Charlton, Massachusetts,
who died November 17, 1825, aged fifty-one years.
He was a revolutionary soldier and pensioner. He
resided at Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, where all his
children were born, all but the last two being by
his first wife. His children were : Martin, born
January 3, 1784, of -Shrewsbury, afterward of Graf-
ton, married, 1808, Lucinda Temple, daughter of
Joseph S. Temple, had five children ; Daniel, No-
vember 2, 1785, a colonel, resided at Shrewsbury,
Massachusetts; married. 1808, Zillah Harrington;
Luke, February 17, 1788, married. May 6. 1815,
Sarah Smith, daughter of Daniel Smith, had Caro-
line, September 15, 1815; Abigail, December 7, 1789,
married. 1817, Captain Thomas Harrington ; Emery,
October 18, 1791, resided at Shrewsbury, Massa-
chusetts; married, 1813, Fanny Townsend, daughter
of Timothy Townsend and Lucy Bartlett Munroe,
daughter of Abraham Munroe, and (third) Eliza-
beth Robinson (Emery had five children) ; Adam,
October 20, 1793, died November 12, 181 1; Schuyler,
April 17, 1796, resided at Shrewsbury; married,
November 22, 1818, Sophia Johnson, daughter of
Stephen Johnson, and had two children; Jesse,
January 16, 1801, settled at Pittsfield, Massachusetts;
Relief, February 8, 1803, married, 1827. Dexter
Harrington ; Calvin, October 24, 1S08. married, De-
cember 9, 1830. Anna Munroe, daughter of Abra-
ham Munroe, died in St. Louis, 1842 ; Salem, Au-
gust 19, 1815, married Parker; Jackson

December 10. 1816, married r Carpenter.

(VI) Daniel Harrington, son of Jonathan Har-
rington (5), was born at Shrewsbury, Massachu-
setts, November 2, 1785. He was a colonel of a
Massachusetts regiment and a man of prominence.
He went west and died in 1844 in Illinois. His
children were: Adam, born January 1. 1809, re-
sided at Shrewsbury; married. May 16. 1830, Nancy
Wesson, daughter of Abel Wesson, of Grafton,
Massachusetts, and had three children ; Henry Hen-
derson, October 24, 181 1, married Cornelia Wesson,
daughter of Rufus Wesson, of Worcester, Massa-
chusetts ; Hannah Rozan, May 9, 1822, married
Luther H. Temple.

(VII) Henry Henderson Harrington, son of
Daniel Harrington (6), was born at Shrewsbury,
Massachusetts, October 24. 181 r. He married Cor-
nelia Bush Wesson, daughter of Rufus Wesson,
of Worcester (intentions filed January 8. 1833).
He resided at Shrewsbury, Massachusetts. His chil-
dren were : Francis Henry, born August 8, 1833 ;
Emma J., March 18. 1844 : Gilbert Henderson, April
17, 1845. at Shrewsbnry. Massachusetts.

Henry Henderson Harrington was a prosperous
farmer at Shrewsbury. His wife was sister of D.



48



WORCESTER COUNTY



B. Wesson, of Springfield, Massachusetts, and of
Franklin Wesson, of Worcester, both distinguished
as inventors and manufacturers of firearms, the
former being the owner at the present time of one
of the largest firearm plants (Smith & Wesson)
in the world. Mr. Harrington died September 3,
1879. His widow died May 20, 1903. For a num-
ber of years after the death of her husband she
resided with her son, Gilbert H. Harrington, in
Worcester.

(VIII) Gilbert Henderson Harrington, son of
Henry Henderson Harrington (7), was born at
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, April 17, 1845. He
came to Worcester when very young and received
his education in the Worcester schools. He in-
herited probably from the Wesson family his apti-
tude for mechanics and invention. His first em-
ployment was with his uncle in Worcester. Frank-
lin Wesson had been for some years a manufac-
turer of rifles with a factory at 18 Manchester
street. Here he invented and patented a shell-
ejecting revolver and in 1871 went into partnership
with his uncle in the firm of Wesson & Harring-
ton to manufacture revolvers under his patents, the
work being done also at 18 Manchester street. Mr.
Harrington bought out his partner in 1874 and Mr.
Wesson soon retired from business entirely. Soon
afterward the firm of Harrington & Richardson
was organized. His partner in this firm was Will-
iam A. Richardson and the firm was destined to
become the very large and successful Harrington
& Richardson Arms Company, of which Mr. Har-
rington's elder son is at present the head.

The revolver patent that was the foundation of
Mr. Harrington's fortune provided the first revolver
that ejected metallic cartridges after they were ex-
ploded. In its original form this weapon held the
market for a number of years. It was by far the
most convenient revolver made. As the firm gained
its reputation for this ingenious improvement and
the excellence of its workmanship was established
in the trade, the business grew rapidly. The plant
was enlarged to permit the manufacture of other
kinds of revolvers which were invented and patented
by the firm from time to time. From 1880 to 1885
the firm was the sole licensee for the United States
for the manufacture of the celebrated Anson &
Deeley hammerless gun, a costly arm of English
design.

When the corporation took over the business
of the firm in 188S. Mr. Harrington, the senior part-
ner, became president. In March, 1894, the busi-
ness was moved to the present location at the cor-
ner of Park avenue and Chandler street. Here the
company first erected a four story brick factory hav-
ing about forty-three thousand feet of floor space
and costing $50,000. It is large, well equipped and
modern in every respect. It is a model factory for
its purposes. Several additions have been made
to enlarge the capacity of the factory.

The product of the Harrington & Richardson
Arms Company has been chiefly in recent years
revolving firearms. All styles and grades of re-
volvers are made, from the cheap pattern with solid
frame, from which the cylinder is removed by the
withdrawal of the centre pin upon which it re-
volver to the elaborate weapon with hinge frame
and automatic shell ejector. The manufacture of
the company's goods during the period of experi-
ment and development was all under the super-
vision of the ingenious and skilful president and
his partner. The product of the company attained
a high reputation for beauty, accuracy and efficiency.
Mr. Harrington gave his undivided attention to his
business, which he loved both as an inventor who



sees his ideas grow into practical and profitable
form and as a manufacturer who has built up a
flourishing business. He refused all opportunities
to enter public office, although he was not lacking
in public spirit.

His only vacation from business was taken in
short visits at Winter Park. Florida. About 1891
his health began to fail, but until a year or more
before his death his trouble, a rheumatic disease of
the heart, did not threaten his life. He was danger-
ously sick in the winter of 1896-7 while in Florida.
While he was able at last to return home he lived
only till June 22, 1897, when he died after two
weeks of critical illness.

He was a member of the Worcester Club, but
of no other social club or organization of any kind.
He and his family attended Pilgrim Congregational
Church and he was a generous contributor to vari-
ous charities. His home at 10.14 Main street, one
of the most spacious and attractive residences in
the city, was a social centre during his life.

Gilbert Henderson Harrington married (first)
Christine I. Dibble, who died February I, 1875.
One son, Charles H., died April 18, 1873, aged six
days. He married (second) Charlotte M. Harring-
ton, who died August 26. 1885, aged thirty-seven
years, daughter of Isaac Sylvester Harrington. He
married (third), 1886, Myrtis S. Sigourney. who
was born at Oxford. Massachusetts. The Sigour-
ney family is French Huguenot origin, spelled form-
erly Sigourne, coming to America late in the seven-
teenth or early in the eighteenth century. Their
home in France was at or near La Rochelle. An-
drew Sigourney was the emigrant ancestor of Mrs.
Harrington. The family located early at Oxford,
Massachusetts, where many of the Huguenot emi-
grants settled. Mr. Harrington had two sons, both
by his second wife. They are : Edwin Chester,
born at Worcester, September 18, 1877 : John Wal-
ter, born at Worcester, February 21, 1SS0.

(IX) Edwin Chester Harrington, son of Gilbert
Henderson Harrington (8), was born at Wor-
cester. September 18, 1877. He was educated in
the Worcester public schools and the Dalzell school
in Worcester. He also took a course in Becker's
Business College. Worcester. He had to assume
large responsibilities early in life. He entered the
factory with the purpose of learning the business
thoroughly, when the illness and death of his father
forced him to take up his father's duties very soon
afterward. He was twenty when his father died.
Mr. Richardson served at the head of the corpora-
tion only a few months. He too died in 1897 and
soon afterward Edwin C. Harrington was elected
president of the corporation and has since been
at the head of the Harrington & Richardson Arms
Co., of which his father was a founder. The busi-
ness has steadily grown under his administration.
The spacious south extension and the large build-
ing at the rear of the factory have been built.
Some five hundred hands are kept at work regularly.
Mr. Harrington has had the able co-operation of
George F. Brooks in the management of the busi-
ness. Mr. Brooks has been with the Harrington



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 14 of 133)