Ellery Bicknell Crane.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) online

. (page 17 of 133)
Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 17 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


whom later ; Jacob, August 16, 1822, had the home-
stead ; Ruth Ann, June 19, 1824, died October 28,
1838; Asa Longley, July 9, 1826, resides in Leo-
minster; Andrew Jackson, July 25, 1828, resides at
East Wilton; Artemas, January I, 1831, married
Orenda Kidder, resides at Phillipston, New Hamp-
shire ; Sarah Marie, October 13, 1834, married, April
11, 1861, Calvin D. Blanchard, and settled at Harvard,
Massachusetts.

(VIII) Samuel Putnam, son of Caleb Putnam
(7), was born in Wilton, New Hampshire, May 18,
1820. He died in Leominster, Massachusetts, Au-
gust 18, 1898, aged seventy-eight years. He was
educated in the common schools of his native town.
When a young man he removed to Leominster and
learned the trade of carpenter under David Allen,
a contractor and builder. He worked as a journey-
man for some years for Mr. Allen, then went into
business on his own account. During an important
period of its development Mr. Putnam built many of
the buildings and residences of Leominster. He-
formed a partnership in December, 1850, with Louis
Phelps, and bought the tannery and currying busi-
ness on the Burrage place at North Leominster.
The business proved profitable and was continued
many years to the great advantage of the partners.
He was in this business for a period of thirty-three
years, when he lost heavily in an attempted corner



56



WORCESTER COUNTY



of buffalo skins and robes, managed by a partner in
Chicago, causing his assignment. He had a hand-
some residence at Leominster and even that was
sold for the benefit of creditors, but his wife con-
tracted to buy it and in the course of a number of
years succeeded by turning it into a summer board-
ing place in saving the home. At the same time
she won for herself a reputation for business ca-
pacity and pluck such as few women ever enjoy.
Mrs. Putnam still resides in the homestead near
the business district, 70 Main street. The tannery
business was resumed by Mr. Putnam's partner and
the former bookkeeper of the firm, under the name
of Phelps and Harrison. Mr. Putnam was elected
president of the Leominster National Bank, a posi-
tion he held for a number of years (18/6- 1884). He
was an active member of the Unitarian Church. He
was a Democrat in politics, but never sought public
preferment of any kind. He was known as a lib-
eral employer, charitable and kindly in his disposi-
tion. For a whole generation Samuel Putnam was
one of the foremost business men of the town and
deservedly trusted and honored by his townsmen.
He was well known throughout the county.

He married (first), November 27, 1845, Jane
Augusta Pierce, daughter of Rufus Pierce. She
died without issue, January 12, 1880. He married
(second), December 23, 1880, Melora F. Goodrich,
daughter of Joseph Goodrich, of Lunenburg, Massa-
chusetts. They adopted a daughter who married.
June 10, 1879, George E. Pratt. Mr. Putnam had
no children of his own.

The father of Melora F. (Goodrich) Putnam
was Joseph Goodrich, who married in Shirley, De-
cember 8, 1825, Lucy Hazen Longley, born October
10, 1802, daughter of Asa and Sarah (Hazen)
Longley. He was constable and tax collector in
1824; he died May 30, 1881 ; his wife October 11,
1879. Melora Frances was born October 3, 1834,
married as above stated Samuel Putnam.

Phineas Goodrich, father of Joseph, was born
March 9, 1759, married, March 16, 1786, Betsey
Kilburn, born in Rowley, June, 1762, daughter of
Jonathan and Elizabeth (Nelson) Kilburn, and
lineal descendant of Thomas and Frances Kilburn.
who settled in Wethersfield, Connecticut, among the
early settlers. Phineas was constable 1789 and 1793,
tax collector, on school committee and lieutenant
in the militia. They lived on the homestead ; she
died February 14, 1839, and he December 28, 1845,
aged eighty-six years. Their son Joseph was born
May 1, 1796.

Joshua Goodrich, father of Phineas, was born
in Lunenburg, Worcester county, Massachusetts, in
1708; married, June 25, 1739, Lydia Stearns, born
in Watertown, October 7, 1719, daughter of John
and Abigail (Fiske) Stearns, and great-granddaugh-
ter of Isaac and Mary Stearns, who came from Eng-
land in 1630 and settled in Watertown. Joshua
Goodrich was an ensign in the militia, constable
1742, on the school committee several years, select-
man 1744. He died October 29, 1782, aged seventy-
five years ; his wife died March 7, 1805, aged eighty-
six years. They lived in Lunenburg, Massachu-
setts.

Philip Goodrich, father of Joshua Goodrich, was
born in Newbury, Massachusetts, November 23,
1669. He married in Newbury, April 16, 1700, Me-
hitable Woodman, who was born there September
20, 1677, daughter of Joshua and Elizabeth (Stev-
ens) Woodman, and granddaughter of Edward
Woodman, who came from Southampton, England,
in June, 1635, ar >d settled in Newbury. Philip Good-
rich was the original proprietor of lot No. 70 in
Lunenburg, Massachusetts, where his descendant,



Artemas Goodrich, now lives. He came to Lunen-
burg in 1719, nine years before its incorporation. He
died January 16, 1729, aged sixty years; his widow
Mehitable died February 24, 1755, aged seventy-
eight years.

Jeremiah Goodrich, father of Philip Goodrich,
married in Newbury, Massachusetts, November 15,
1660, Mary Adams, daughter of Robert and Elenore
Adams, of Newbury.

William Goodrich, father of Jeremiah Goodrich,
was the immigrant. With his wife Margaret he
came from Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk county, Eng-
land, in 1634, an d settled in Watertown, Massachu-
setts, where their children were born, and where he
died April 3, 1647. His widow Margaret married
John Hull, of Newbury, whither she removed with
the children born of her first marriage and where
she died February 3, 1682. The second child of
Jeremiah and Margaret was Jeremiah. Jr., born
March 6, 1638. (See sketch of the Goodrich family
of Fitchburg for further data.)

HORATIO BAILEY. James Bailey (1), the
immigrant ancestor of Horatio Bailey, of Lancaster,
Massachusetts, was born in England in 1612. He
settled in New England at Rowley about 1640. His
brother Richard, who came over at the age of
fifteen in the ship "Bevis" in May, 1635, settled first
at Lynn, later near James, in Rowley. He became
a large landowner, and was overseer of the poor
and selectman. His house was on what is now
Pleasant street, and the land is now or was lately
owned by Mrs. Charles H. Todd.

He was buried August 10, 1677, and his will
was proved September 25, following. His wife was
Lydia Emery. She died at Rowley, April 29, 1704.
Their children were : John, born February 2,
1642-3 ; Lydia, born November, 1644 ; Jonathan, born
September, 1646, died March, 1665 ; Damaris, born
January 17, 1648-9; James, born January 15, 1650-1 ;
Thomas, born August I, 1653; Samuel, born Au-
gust 10, 1655, died November, 1657; Samuel, born
February 8, 1658-9.

(II) John Bailey, son of James Bailey (1), was
born in Rowley, Massachusetts, February 2, 1642-3.
He settled in Rowley and married there Mary Mig-
hill, June 16, 1668. She was the daughter of Deacon
Thomas Mighill. one of the leading citizens there.
John Bailey was a soldier under General Phipps
and perished on the return of the expedition to
Canada. His wife administered his estate. She
died in 1693. The children of John and Mary
Bailey were: Jonathan, born August 31, 1670; Ann,
born February 24, 1673, died December 17, 1690;
Nathaniel, born 1675 ; Thomas, born October 7,
1677; James, born 1680; Mary, born February I,
1683, died 1722; Elizabeth, born November 15, 1688,
died January 26, 1680; married Daniel Tenney, Jan-
uary 2. 1722; Lydia, born January 12, 1691.

(III) Nathaniel Bailey, son of John Bailey (2),
was born in Rowley, Massachusetts, March, 1675.
He settled there. He married, January 2, 1700,
Sarah Clark. He died July 21, 1722. The children
of Nathaniel and Sarah Bailey were : Joseph, of
whom later; Nathaniel, born October 27, 1703;
Josiah, born November 3, 1705; David, born Novem-
ber 11, 1707; Samuel, born November 25, 1709;
Mercy, born November 18, 1719.

(IV) Joseph Bailey, son of Nathaniel Bailey
(3), was born at Rowley, Massachusetts, October
17, 1701. He settled at Rowley and like many others
of this family learned the trade of potter. He mar-
ried Sarah Jewett, June, 1725. Their children were :
Elizabeth, born December 27, 1725 ; Nathaniel, bom
March 17, 1727; David, born June 27, 1729; Amos,




xy^Z^^-



WORCESTER COUNTY



57



born September 12, 1731 ; Joseph, born about 1733,
of whom later.

(V) Joseph Bailey, believed to be son of Joseph
Bailey (,4), certainly nephew if not son if the family
records are correct, settled at Pelham, New Hamp-
shire. He married Deborah ■. Their children :

Joseph, born in Pelham, New Hampshire, 1766;
Ann, born August 6, 1768; Thomas Hardy, born
September 3, 1771, sailed with John Paul Jones in

"Bon Homme Richard," in the revolutionary war.
The two latter are recorded on the town books, the

iormer is a family record. Charlotte, married

Fox; Elizabeth, married Stephen Knight, February
3, 1788; Samuel, resided at Newburyport.

(VI) Joseph Bailey, son of Joseph Bailey (5),
born at Pelham, New Hampshire, or Weare, 1766.
When a small boy he lived in the family of Dr.
Muzzy. He was a soldier in the revolution for three
months near the close of the war, as a drummer boy,
being too small to enlist. He had his right shoulder
crushed by a falling building at a fire in Newbury-
port when he was a boy. Owing to this injury his
courtship of Ann Bailey, his second cousin, was in
vain. He married Mary Woodbury (published May
5. !/87), and they settled about a mile north of
Pigeon Cove, opposite the pasture of the Babson
farm in Gloucester, Massachusetts. In the mean-
time his cousin married Elijah Parker, April 19,
1794, who died and she married (second), April ig,
1 799> Aaron Wealthy. After the death of his first
wife Joseph Bailey married, September 17, 1821,
Ann (Bailey) (Parker) Wealthy, of Newburyport,
who for a second time had become a widow. His
mother was living in 1800 in Pelham, and he walked
from his home to Pelham with his son Joseph in
that year to pay her a visit. He died at Rockport,
Massachusetts, September. 1853, aged eighty-seven
years.

The children of Joseph and Mary Bailey, born
in Gloucester, were: Joseph, born March 17, 1790,
died October 10, 1853; William, born 1791 or 1792,
died February 18, 1877; Polly, died about 1850;
Samuel, drowned July 6, 1825; Andrew Woodbury,
born December 6, 1798, died June 7, 1876.

(VII) Joseph Bailey, son of Joseph Bailey (6),
father of Horatio Bailey, late of Lancaster, was
born in Gloucester, Massachusetts, March 17, 1790,
and died October 10, 1833, a month after his father.
He resided in Gloucester for a few years, then
bought a place a mile north of his grandfather's
house in Pigeon Cove, Gloucester, where he lived the
remainder of his life. He was a soldier in the war
of 1812 and was twice taken prisoner, first from a
small trading vessel off Capes of Virginia by an
English fleet going down the coast, afterwards on
the privateer "Harpy" taken from a prize ship they
had taken and which he was helping to sail. He
was held on a prison ship at the Bermuda Islands,
also at Halifax, Nova Scotia, finally at Dartmoor in
England, where he remained until the end of the
war, when he was sent home and had to walk to
Gloucester from New York.

He was twice married. He married, December
20, 1816, Esther Lane, of Lane's Cove, Gloucester.
Their children were: Mary, born March I, 1819;
Esther, born September 16, 1820; Joseph, born July
13, 1823 ; Abigail L., born October 30, 1825 ; Horatio,
of whom later; Julia, born October 2, 1834.

(VIII) Horatio Bailey, fifth child of Joseph
Bailey, Jr. (7), was born in Gloucester, Massachu-
setts, November 2, 1828. He was well educated
and began life as a school teacher. He removed
to Lancaster in 1865 and for some time was station
agent at the South Lancaster station of the
Worcester & Nashua Railroad. Later he was



assigned to the Lancaster station. He manufactured
boots and shoes for a number of years. During his
last years he carried on his farm and raised garden
truck for the market.

He and his wife joined the Lancaster Evangelical
church in 1865 and he was an active and earnest
member of the church and Sunday school. He was
a teacher in the Sunday school for many years and
was clerk of the church until within two years of
his death, when failing health obliged him to re-
sign. He was a member of the parish and church
committees and was on the building committee for
the parsonage, in which he took great interest. For
many years he sang in the choir and was always
much interested in music. He was a Republican in
politics and served the town for a time on the school
committee. He was a man of strong personality
and of decided convictions. He was one of the most
esteemed and influential citizens of the town.

Mr. Bailey married, October 30, 1856, Sophronia
M. Fuller, only daughter of the late John Fuller,
of Lancaster. (See sketch of the Fuller family.)
Mr. Bailey died in Lancester, August 7, 1905. Mrs.
Bailey was also a school teacher before her mar-
riage. Their children are : Henrietta E., born Au-
gust 2, 1861, resides in Brookline, Massachusetts;
John E. Fuller, born October 15, 1862, resides with
his mother on the homestead and carries on the
farm; George T., born April 2^, 1864, the postmaster
of Lancaster Centre ; Mary Belle S., born Novem-
ber 2, 1871, a teacher in the Lancaster public schools,
residing at the homestead with her mother.

ANDREW LOWELL FULLER. Edward Ful-
ler (1), was the immigrant ancestor of the Fuller
family of Clinton, Massachusetts, and of the late
Andrew Lowell Fuller, of Clinton. He came over
in the "Mayflower" in 1620 with his famous brother,
Dr. Samuel Fuller. He was one of the signers of
the famous Compact. Both he and his wife died
early in 1821, during the second winter, leaving a
son Samuel in Plymouth and a son Matthew in
England.

(II) Captain Matthew Fuller, son of Edward
Fuller (1), and nephew of the famous Dr. Samuel
Fuller, may have come to Plymouth with the wife
and child of Dr. Fuller, as they came afterward.
He was a planter at Plymouth and captain of the
company there. Later he removed to Scituate,
where he was received in the church November 7,
1636, by letter from Plymouth church. He was a
proprietor of Scituate and was called sergeant on
the records. He was admitted a freeman there Sep-
tember 7, 1642. He is presumed to have studied
medicine with his distinguished uncle, and in 1652
he also became a physician and in 1673 was surgeon
of the forces of the colony. He was captain in
1675 in King Philip's war.

He married, April 8, 1635, Jane Lothrop, daugh-
ter of John Lothrop. He married (second) Frances

. His will was dated July 25, and proved

October 30, 1678; bequeathed to wife Frances; to
grandchild Shubael Jones, son of Ralph Jones ; to
son John ; to Thomas, Jabez, Timothy, Matthias and
Samuel Fuller, sons of his deceased son, Samuel
Fuller ; to daughter Mary, wife of Ralph Jones ; to
daughter Elizabeth, wife of Moses Rowley ; to
daughter-in-law Ann, wife of son Samuel; to Be-
thias, wife of son John ; to grandchildren Sarah
Rowley, Jedediah Jones and all the rest; to Robert
Marshall, the Scotchman. Children of Captain
Fuller were: Mary, married, April 17, 1650, Ralph
Jones; Elizabeth, married, 1652, Moses Rowdey ;

Samuel, of whom later; John, married Bethiah ;

Ann. married her cousin, Samuel Fuller.



53



WORCESTER COUNTY



(III) Samuel Fuller, son of Captain Matthew
Fuller (2), was born in Plymouth, probably about

1636. He resided at Barnstable until 1675, when he
removed to Rehoboth where his posthumous son,
Samuel, was born. He married (second), at Re-
hoboth, Mary Ide, daughter of Nicholas Ide, De-
cember 12, 1673. She was born December 10, 1649.
But in Matthew's will the wife of Samuel is called
Anne, indicating some error in names. He died
August, 1676, during King Philip's war, perhaps a
result of service in the war. He was buried August
15. All his children by the first wife were born at
Barnstable. They were : Thomas, Jabez, Timothy,
Matthias, died unmarried ; Abigail, Ann, Samuel,
born at Rehoboth, November 23, 1676 (posthumous),
of whom later.

(IV) Samuel Fuller, son of Samuel Fuller (3),
and grandson of Captain Matthew Fuller, in whose
will he is mentioned, was born after his father's
death, at Rehoboth, Massachusetts, November 23,
1676. He died there December 19, 1724. He mar-
ried there Dorothy Willmarth, December 16, 1700.
Their children were: Samuel, born October 23,
1702; Ebenezer, October 26, 1704, of whom later;
Dorothea, July 12, 1706; Ruth, November 14, 1708;
Timothy, March 8, 1710-11; Mary, March 9, 1712-13;
Moses (twin), October 27, 1715; Aaron (twin),
October 27, 1715; Noah, August 4, 1721.

(V) Ebenezer Fuller, second child of Samuel
Fuller (4), was born in Rehoboth, Massachusetts,
October 26, 1704. He settled there and married,
June 1, 1731, Rachel Robinson. He seems to have
married (second) Judith . Children of Eben-
ezer and Rachel Fuller were : Abiah, born July 10,
1733; Judith, July 2, 1734; Jemima, February 27,
1736-37; Noah, February 26, 1738-39; Ebenezer, April
23, 1741, of whom later; Levi, March 1, 1745-46.

(VI) Ebenezer, Jr., son of Ebenezer Fuller
(5), was born in Rehoboth, Massachusetts, April
23, 1741. He served seven years in the revolutionary
army, the only Ebenezer Fuller in the service from
Massachusetts, except his son who at a very youth-
ful age enlisted as stated below. Ebenezer Fuller
was in Captain Jabez Ellis's company of Minute
Men, April 19, 1775, credited to the adjacent town
of Attleboro ; in Captain Caleb Richardson's com-
pany, Colonel Timothy Walker's regiment later in
J 775; Captain Jacob Ide's company, Colonel Dag-
gett's regiment in 1776; Captain Stephen Richard-
son's company, Colonel George William's regiment in
1777 ; Captain Moses William's company Colonel
Thomas Carpenter's regiment in 1778, and in the
same regiment under Captain Joseph Williams in
1780; Captain Samuel Robinson's company, Colonel
Isaac Dean's regiment in 1780; and probably in Cap-
tain Thomas Newcomb's company, Lieutenant
Colonel Cogswell's regiment in 1781.

He married (first), January 17, 1765, Mary Mon-
roe, who died May 30, 1772. He married (second),
July 22, 1773, Abigail Peck, also at Rehoboth. Chil-
dren of Ebenezer and Mary, all born at Rehoboth,
were: Betsey, born April 28, 1766; Ebenezer, Jan-
uary 13, 1768, of whom later; Thomas, February 25,
1771. Children of Ebenezer and Abigail were:
Mary, June 22, 1774; Jemima, March 31, 1776;
Charles, March 31, 1778; Rachel, May 7, 1780;
Abigail, July 25, 1782, died August 28, 1782; Shu-
bael, November 12, 1783; Nancy, May 9, 1786;
Lucy, August 22, 1793.

(VII) Ebenezer Warren Fuller, son of Ebenezer
Fuller (6), was born in Massachusetts. February 11,
1769. He was a soldier in the revolution at the age
of thirteen in Captain Joseph Willmarth's company.
Colonel Thomas Carpenter's regiment, with his



father, who fought through the whole war, as stated
above. They were the only men of the name in the
Massachusetts service. There is a stone to his
memory in the graveyard at Lancaster with age
corresponding to that of his birth recorded at Reho-
both. He seems to have gone to Roxbury, Massa-
chusetts, after he came of age. Late in life he set-
tled in Lancaster, where he is buried. At Newton,
Massachusetts, September 6, 1791, he married Bet-
sey Wheeler, of Halifax, Massachusetts. Their
sons were: Ephraim, born January 9, 1793; Alden,
born September 26, 1796; Ebenezer, born March 10,
1803; Warren, born July 30, 1807; William; Jere-
miah, born July 16, 1810. The only son of his sec-
ond marriage with Lydia Goddard was John, of
whom later.

(VIII.) Ephraim Fuller, son of Ebenezer W.
Fuller (7), was born in Roxbury, Massachusetts,
January 9, 1793. He came to Lancaster with his
father. He learned the trade of clothier and es-
tablished a flourishing industry at Carter's Mill in
Lancaster for cloth dressing and wool carding. In
1839 the mill was burned. He then purchased of
George Howard his water power on South Meadow
brook in what is now Clinton, Massachusetts, to-
gether with considerable land adjoining. Here he
erected a fulling mill and carried on a thriving
business for many years. His son, Andrew L.
Fuller, became associated with him, and as the
times favored machinery for the manufacture of
every variety of woolen knitting-yarns, satinets and
fancy cassimeres were introduced. For a time the
firm employed about thirty hands and 60,000 yards
of cloth were made annually, the mill being run
night and day some of the time. Mr. Fuller retired
in 1850 and his son, Andrew L. Fuller, became the
sole owner.

In the winter of 1846 Mr. Fuller built a dam on
Goodridge brook, where it crosses the highway in
Clinton, and built a shop with a trip-hammer and
forge in the basement. The building was used by-
Luther Gaylord, manufacturer of agricultural tools ;
W. F. Conant, maker of water-wheels, and Isaac
Taylor, manufacturer of sash and blinds.

Mr. Fuller and his five eldest children joined
the Congregational church at Lancaster, now the
Unitarian church. May 1. 1830. He died at Lan-
caster, January 5, 1876. In his will, dated Septem-
ber 18, 1871. he mentions his son, William A.
Fuller, of Chicago ; his daughter Susan H., wife
of Albert Smith, of Clinton; his daughter, Nancy
G. wife of Eben S. Fuller, of Clinton ; his grand-
children, John E., Jessie G., William A. and Susie
G. Fuller, of Clinton : his grandchildren, children
of his son Andrew L., deceased, Emma Susan,
Albert S., Andrew C. He left a considerable for-
tune.

He married, March 7, 1819, at Lancaster, Susan
Hayward, of Acton. She died at Lancaster, May
1, 1833. He married (second), December 31, 1833,
Judith Goss. Children of Ephraim and Susan
Fuller were: Susan Hayward, born September 7,
1819, baptized August 1, 1830, married Albert
Smith, of Clinton ; Francis Faulkner, born January
8, 1822, died July 20, 1827 ; Andrew Lowell, of
whom later ; Francis Faulkner, born 1827, died
young; Abigail, born 1829, died July 20, 1829;
Francis Faulkner (third), born February 5, 1830,
died May 24, 1832 ; Ephraim Hayward, born April
2 5. '833, baptized May 3, 1833, died September 16,
T §33 ; George Walton, born December 4, 1834, bap-
tized June 7, 1835 ; Ephraim Hayward, born about
1837 ; William Alden, baptized July 2, 1837, died
1837; Nancy Goss, baptized June 7, 1840, married



WORCESTER COUNTY



59



Eben S. Fuller, son of John and grandson of Ebe-
nezer Fuller, her grandfather also ; Franklin War-
ren, born 1843, died February 4, 1845.

(IX) Andrew Lowell Fuller, son of Ephraim
Fuller (8), was born at Lancaster, Massachusetts,
June 6, 1824. He was educated in the district
schools of Lancaster and then went into his father's
cotton mill and learned the business. His father took
him into partnership, and at his fathers retirement in
1850 he became the owner of the plant. In partner-
ship with Everett W. Bigelow, of West Boylston,
Mr. Fuller carried on an extensive business in
manufacturing woolen goods at Clinton. After his
death his partner continued the business until 1870.
The mill was located in Clinton, formerly Lancaster,
upon South Meadow brook. Andrew L. Fuller was
a man of great business capacity and energy. When
he began to manage the business it had reached an
unremunerative condition. At that time the manu-
facture of woolen cloth and yarn became unprofit-
able, and he gradually introduced machinery for the
manufacture of other lines. When the hoop-skirt
was coming into fashion he filled his mill with
tape-looms and braiders for covering hoop-skirt
wire and soon developed a very profitable business.
In 1865 he more than doubled the capacity of his
main building, adding two hundred braiders to the
two hundred and fifty he had already and in-
creased the number of his tape-looms to forty.
Nearly one hundred hands were employed.

In politics Mr. Fuller was a Republican. He
represented his district in the general court in
1854. being the second citizen of Clinton to enjoy
that distinction. The first was Horatio N. Bige-
low, founder of the carpet mills. Mr. Fuller was
a Free Mason. He and his family attended the
Unitarian church. Notwithstanding his large busi-
ness interests Mr. Fuller enlisted as a private in
Company C, Fifteenth Massachusetts Infantry, at
the breaking out of the civil war. His health gave



Online LibraryEllery Bicknell CraneHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Worcester county, Massachusetts, with a history of Worcester society of antiquity (Volume 2) → online text (page 17 of 133)